Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-21-2009, 02:19 PM   #651
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

A bit of a weird episode, but good. They took the viewer all over the place with Sylar from the Norman Bates mom talks to the semi-tricking of the guy he killed for his power and turned into the agent right away, then saving Micah only to threaten him in the end. It was kind of a wild up and down ride with Sylar.

BTW, what do people think happened to Hiro? Did Ando charge up his ability too much and it had a bad effect on Hiro instead of helping? That was my guess. Seeing Ando's power growing was kind of cool though, the Crimson Arc. hehe.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:14 PM   #652
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
BTW, what do people think happened to Hiro? Did Ando charge up his ability too much and it had a bad effect on Hiro instead of helping? That was my guess. Seeing Ando's power growing was kind of cool though, the Crimson Arc. hehe.

He has to strain to use his power. He might have strained too much, or it just built up to where his brain when boom on him after using it so much.

Spoiler
Old 04-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #653
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
He has to strain to use his power. He might have strained too much, or it just built up to where his brain when boom on him after using it so much.

I guess it could be the strain, but I thought a key part in that scene was Ando's hand on his shoulder when it happened. At the same time though I remember that Ando was in the frozen time because he was touching Hiro when he stopped time, so maybe not. I was just thinking though that freezing time is just that, freezing time. Ando's ability to increase the strength of it wouldn't really help in super freezing time, stopped time is stopped time. I thought maybe it could have resulted in what happened in the show because of this.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:52 PM   #654
Travis
Pro Rookie

So what power did I miss Sylar getting that prevented that from being a fatal blow?
Old 04-21-2009, 09:58 PM   #655
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
So what power did I miss Sylar getting that prevented that from being a fatal blow?

You didn't miss anything. It wasn't a fatal blow, it looked too high up the back of his head to me. I said it to my wife right when it happened, though I could be wrong I suppose. That is my opinion.

Last edited by Cringer : 04-21-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:56 PM   #656
Danny
Head Coach

The show is back. I don't know if it has the same amount of magic as season 1, but I am really enjoying the show again and having more connection with the characters.

I think if we forget about most of season 2 and "villians" the show quality is right back up there.

Last edited by Danny : 04-22-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:54 PM   #657
Easy Mac

Wow, did no one watch Monday night?

I thought they disappointed again. Just give me a Peter/Sylar battle I can see. And Tracy is back? And why the convoluted Nathan dead-Sylar confused Freaky Friday switcheroo? Didn't we learn last season that Claire's blood could revive dead people? Why not use it on Nathan and chop off Sylar's head Highlander-style? Kill 2 birds with one stone. Why use a plan certain to fail? And why couldn't Peter fly after Nathan and Sylar during the fight? Sylar can fly, so if Peter borrowed all of Sylar's powers, he could have flown after him.

I know logic flaws don't matter to some people, but it bugs the hell out of me.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #658
Danny
Head Coach

I don't think Sylar can fly
Old 04-29-2009, 08:32 PM   #659
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I don't think Sylar can fly

He threw nathan into the room then flew/floated back in.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:06 PM   #660
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

I thought they disappointed again. Just give me a Peter/Sylar battle I can see. And Tracy is back? And why the convoluted Nathan dead-Sylar confused Freaky Friday switcheroo? Didn't we learn last season that Claire's blood could revive dead people? Why not use it on Nathan and chop off Sylar's head Highlander-style? Kill 2 birds with one stone. Why use a plan certain to fail? And why couldn't Peter fly after Nathan and Sylar during the fight? Sylar can fly, so if Peter borrowed all of Sylar's powers, he could have flown after him.

This was there was to write Zachary Quinto out of the story since he's likely moving on to bigger and better things.

I don't know why they didn't go back to Claire's blood either. They've used it to bring her dad back. They used Adam's blood to fix Nathan once already.I guess going to that well too many times is a bad idea as well.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:04 PM   #661
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Peter can only borrow one power at a time. He chose shapeshifting. Remember his "you didn't think I took that one" comment?

Anyway, it has been established that Sylar can take powers without opening skulls (somewhat referred to before the big fight as he powers up with Elle's ability, who was the person to teach him how to do that). He just likes the blood.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:57 PM   #662
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

You probably won't be seeing the big bad battle due to budget restrictions. Heroes budget got out of hand, see chapter 2 and 3, and they had to cut it back. It's still decent sized, but expect the show to be very much like chapter one when effects were kept to a minimum and characters are made the main ingredient.

Bryan Fuller already did an interview saying she was coming back and it was known that there was going to be 3 deaths with one not sticking.

The switcheroo is the one area that really needed work. I have a somewhat ramble on why it happened and it's partly because of how Mama P. is being written and then HRG confirming what she is doing as being right when it's not.

Fuller was there for chapter one, but not two and three. They have written the show to ignore as much of those chapters as possible. Fuller admits, as do many, that the show lost it's way during those chapters and they are trying do as little with those storylines as possible. The use of Claire's blood was a cheep gimmick and it was getting out of hand. "Oh wait, they died? Just use Claire's blood." Again, I think it was a bad way to end it because there are tons of questions that come out of this as well and some of the answers are seeing things we saw when the show was losing it's way.

One power at a time for Peter. You can pretty much assume Fuller will shoot down Peter stealing Sylar's main power because it's simply too gimmicky and they are trying to tone down how powerful everybody is.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:57 PM   #663
Travis
Pro Rookie

Yeah, all powerful Sylar against two guys who can fly. The quick ending we saw for Nathan later on should have been the extent of that fight. How can they even pretend to be putting thought into this when they have Peter being able to get close enough to Sylar to touch him.

At least if Peter had borrowed Claire's power on his way in I could have bought him being able to get close enough to steal a needed power to try and battle Sylar, but the two of them with just flight each? Just another lazy way to get to an end without too much worry to how they get there. There are moments when it seems like they start to recapture the season one quality, then they just throw it out the window.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:26 AM   #664
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I liked the episode overall, liked it a ton until the ending. I do have a problem with the ending, it just comes off a bit dumb to me. Nathan is dead but we keep the actor around by making Sylar into him. Some of Chapter Four is predictable because of it, though I hope they can make it interesting. As my wife said, if they were smart you get Parkman together with Sylar/Nathan every month or so to freshen up the brain washing because you know Sylar can keel you all, problem solved. I even understand part of the reason given in the show, Nathan had to be alive to smooth things over and fix things with the government, even set up a new Company through them.

I see it all now though. Mom, Parkman, and HRG worrying over Sylar/Nathan. Focus on the relationship between Peter and Sylar?/Nathan, possible problems as always. And OH NO'S don't forget the angry Claire when she finds out HRG lied to her about Sylar.

I hope it isn't as bad as it sounds above because I love the show, but the season ending just didn't do much for me.

Last edited by Cringer : 04-30-2009 at 03:27 AM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:30 AM   #665
Danny
Head Coach

I liked the episode and ending overall except the Sylar into Nathan thing. I was hoping for a Peter/Sylar battle though.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:42 PM   #666
Khorium
n00b

I wish they'd kill Claire. Her character annoys me. The angsty-teenaged-cheerleader who just wants to be taken "seriously" bit is getting so damned old.
Khorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #667
hoopsguy
General Manager

Could there be a more empty threat than Claire telling Sylar that she'll never stop trying to kill him? Sylar's complete lack of concern was outstanding in that scene.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #668
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Could there be a more empty threat than Claire telling Sylar that she'll never stop trying to kill him? Sylar's complete lack of concern was outstanding in that scene.
Everyone needs a hobby.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #669
kingfc22
Head Coach

Weak ending and who didn't expect Ali Larter to return
Old 09-21-2009, 11:57 AM   #670
Swaggs
Coordinator

Bump...

Didn't know whether a season 4 thread is deserved or not, but the 2-hour premier is tonight. I'll be giving Heroes a very tight leash this season (in fact, I'll probably DVR it and the amount of time it sits unwatched will probably determine whether or not I watch this year).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:05 PM   #671
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Let me know what you think. I bailed on this show last year a few episodes before it ended. It just got to the point that I didn't care any more.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #672
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Bump...

Didn't know whether a season 4 thread is deserved or not, but the 2-hour premier is tonight. I'll be giving Heroes a very tight leash this season (in fact, I'll probably DVR it and the amount of time it sits unwatched will probably determine whether or not I watch this year).

I'm with you. This show and Lost have just gotten way to out there for me.

I still watch them but they don't grab me the way they used to
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:23 PM   #673
Travis
Pro Rookie

Saw that my PVR still has the series recording set up. Not sure if/when I'll watch but it would be nice if they could recapture the magic they used to have. It was never perfect, but I really hope they can at least turn this back into better than average television. Kind of like how BSG rebounded for it's final season.

Not holding my breath though.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:25 PM   #674
Autumn
Head Coach

I never finished the last season either. It just was no longer compelling enough to entice me to use my limited viewing time on it. I think unless they've changed the writers it probably won't get back there for me.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #675
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

My DVR has it relegated to non-recorded series recording (by which I mean, it is set as a series recording, but 2 other series with higher priority are at the same time - House and How I Met Your Mother). So, I just deleted the series recording.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #676
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I'm with you. This show and Lost have just gotten way to out there for me.

I still watch them but they don't grab me the way they used to
At least Lost still has characters I care about (and great acting by people like Locke and Ben). Heroes has Sylar and that's about it (maybe Bennett). If I'm back I'll probably watch it tonight, but I'm not gonna bother recording it.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 09-21-2009 at 01:18 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:18 PM   #677
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
My DVR has it relegated to non-recorded series recording (by which I mean, it is set as a series recording, but 2 other series with higher priority are at the same time - House and How I Met Your Mother). So, I just deleted the series recording.

I will be watching House live tonight (as always), but have Heroes on my DVR to record.

I have Big bang theory as a non-recording series on Mondays, not because I don't like that show (I do), but I still enjoy Heroes more.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:41 PM   #678
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I still enjoy the show and it will be DVR'd along with House tonight. Yay for new shows
Old 09-22-2009, 07:45 AM   #679
hoopsguy
General Manager

I was pretty pleased with the first two hours. I thought they did a good job of putting the main characters in situations that were interesting for them for their "real lives" before they go back to being heroes again. I think the creative tension around both sides of the Sylar story was pretty well done as well.

We'll see on the carnies as bad guys - not enough there last night to really form strong opinions on them, at least for me. But I'm just fine with them actually taking their time telling a story rather than sprinting through plot lines.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:59 AM   #680
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I'm thrilled that T-Bag is back on television.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #681
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I'm thrilled that T-Bag is back on television.

That was my reaction to seeing him too. He was a great bad guy in Prison Break for the first few seasons at least. I'm hoping that he provides a good change of pace to this show too.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #682
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
That was my reaction to seeing him too. He was a great bad guy in Prison Break for the first few seasons at least. I'm hoping that he provides a good change of pace to this show too.

Agreed. My wife and I watched the first season and a half of Prison Break and she always thought he was creepy. I think he is going to make a really great bad guy on this show.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:19 PM   #683
duckman
Pro Starter

Anyone still watching?
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:23 PM   #684
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman View Post
Anyone still watching?

Yep! But it is firmly stuck about 5th of the shows I watch from my DVR on Mondays right now. Still enjoying it though.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:28 PM   #685
hoopsguy
General Manager

I'm watching and I've been pretty happy with the season. Much moreso than I was two seasons ago (Pa Petrelli gets the gang together) and the first half of last year.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:39 PM   #686
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm still watching -- still not completely sold on it, but I have enjoyed it so far. I think cutting back on some of the cast has been a good idea.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:28 AM   #687
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Still watching it and like this season. The "Saving Charlie" arc is a huge misstep since there was a book that already covered this issue.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #688
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I stopped watching about half way through last season.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-05-2009, 10:47 PM   #689
Swaggs
Coordinator

Watched this on DVR tonight. I liked Monday's episode really well, until they pulled the cheapie move at the end with Charlie.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:30 AM   #690
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I think this past episode was very solid. Although I am starting to get irritated that they won't explain more about the Carnies.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #691
Swaggs
Coordinator

I really liked the whole episode until they lost Charlie in time. That wouldn't be such a bad plot device, but they already did it once with the Irish girl that Peter fell in love with... and never resolved it.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:24 AM   #692
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
I really liked the whole episode until they lost Charlie in time. That wouldn't be such a bad plot device, but they already did it once with the Irish girl that Peter fell in love with... and never resolved it.

Totally forgot about that...
Old 11-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #693
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

She was lost unintentionally due to the writer's strike and it was even admitted that they were going to go back to her, but by the time the strike was over, they simply moved on. Charlie has been "lost" intentionally.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #694
Swaggs
Coordinator

Anyone still onboard with Heroes? With HA/Anthony missing, the Heroes crowd seems to have fallen silent.

I'm still pretty well at the same point, where I still watch it, but I'm not hooked and could drop it at any point. I'm not really sure what I'm waiting for, as there isn't really much of a payoff to continuing (no long-term goal, like X-Files or Lost), but I guess I am still curious to see how it plays out.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:18 PM   #695
Thomkal
Head Coach

I finally just had to stop watching. The whole season seemed pointless and just had too many "roll my eyes" moments to keep going. Even Sylar was bothering me.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #696
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I finally just had to stop watching. The whole season seemed pointless and just had too many "roll my eyes" moments to keep going. Even Sylar was bothering me.

I bailed mid-way through last season for much the same reasons.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:13 PM   #697
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I am with you, Swaggs. I told my wife two weeks ago that I was getting bored with it - last weeks episode helped a little, and I am pretty much in it for the long haul, but I am losing interest fast. Which makes me sad.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:39 PM   #698
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I'm still following along, but only half-heartedly. I catch up once every few weeks/month or so via Netflix.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #699
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm like the rest of you. It's pretty much the last thing we watch on the DVR. I probably would have bailed except my wife keeps recording it, so I keep mindlessly watching it.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #700
Swaggs
Coordinator

The bad thing about this show is that, if I am playing on the computer while watching it (which is like a 90% certainty nowadays ), I always get hung up when Hiro and Ando start talking in Japanese because I cannot keep up with the subtitles and play on the computer at the same time. So, I've been hung up on this last episode for two or three attempts.

I read that Heroes has borderline ratings for NBC, but it sells a lot of DVDs and does pretty well overseas, so it will likely stick around for another season.

Last edited by Swaggs : 01-18-2010 at 02:27 PM.