Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-26-2008, 01:09 AM   #651
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

I will stand corrected though, if it doesnt work out. I am open to being wrong.
nfg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:29 AM   #652
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
There's no question Sczerbiak is a better offensive player. He's also a poor defender, while Hughes was a good defender, and I think given the Cavs identity as a team this is a case where they will miss the defense more.

It levels out. Hughes' decent defence was cancelled out by Gooden's poor defence.

Quote:
As for consistency, Hughes has 25 games this year with single-digit scoring, Sczerbiak 21. More of Hughes' games were of the 8-9 point variety than Wally's were, and he hadn't had such a game in his last dozen or so. Seems to me there's not a big difference in consistency there.

Wally is on a team that has gone on a clearing-house sale youth movement. He hasn't been starting and playing big minutes each and every night like Hughes has been. But still, the trade wasn't Hughes-Wally. I'm very happy with taking Delonte West on as well, not to mention Joe Smith, who has been better than anyone probably expected this year. Hughesn was, I thought, unmoveable with that huge contract ad his lack of ability to stay healthy or hit jumpshots. I was happily proven wrong.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:18 AM   #653
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

heylarryhughespleasestoptakingsomanybadshots has finally called it an end of an era. i will miss the blog.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 02-26-2008 at 02:19 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:42 PM   #654
watravaler
High School JV

It's quite ridiculous how much better Ty Thomas looks without Ben Wallace stealing his minutes. I already miss Joe Smith however...what is wrong with Gooden? On the surface, he appears to be a solid player, nothing special, but he could be so much better. But then I see him taking plays off, shooting a 22 footer, etc...something 'aint right...

Larry Hughes is probably a better fit in Chicago due to their need for a slasher, however, I hate his jumper already...I thought this guy was going to be a legit superstar when I saw him play at St. Louis back in the day. Again, something 'aint right, but he does fill a need in Chicago, but if he starts stealing Thabo's minutes, there will be blood.

Overall, the trade probably helps all three teams involved...it gives the Cavs a better chance to knock off Boston/Orlando/Detroit, assuming Wallace has something left in the tank and Joe Smith contines to play damn good ball...it gives the Bulls the ability to develop Noah and Thomas at a quicker rate, and the Sonics surely got something...

Last edited by watravaler : 02-26-2008 at 12:45 PM.
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:46 PM   #655
MrBug708
Head Coach

Houston is now out of the race
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:03 PM   #656
korme
Go Reds

Yao out for the year certainly does hurt. STEP YOUR GAME UP DIKEMBE
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:04 PM   #657
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Yao out for the year certainly does hurt. STEP YOUR GAME UP DIKEMBE

Time to rely on Tmac in the postseason
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:07 PM   #658
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Well, this can only help the Warriors
Old 02-26-2008, 02:12 PM   #659
watravaler
High School JV

Guys as big as Ming simply don't last...they should have traded him while they had the chance. Although I'm sure he is money-maker...tough situation, hope his feet aren't a problem for the rest of his career...
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:21 PM   #660
korme
Go Reds

The Rockets wouldn't trade Ming for anybody in the league
Old 02-26-2008, 02:21 PM   #661
MikeVic
Head Coach

DIKEMBE FINGER WAVING COMING BACK baby!!!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:46 PM   #662
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I really dislike Noah's pro game. Seems like he does quite a bit of stupid stuff(fouls, shot selection,turnovers etc). I have not watched him play a lot, however.

Tyrus Thomas does look pretty good though in the last two games I've seen him since the trade. I think he might be more than just another Stromile Swift clone.

Gooden's just a knucklehead, I've seen him play 100-150 times over the past 3-4 years, and he's always amazing. For everytime you see him and are like, "wow, this dude looks good", he'll do something mind-blowingly stupid and take away that hope. He may florish in a 6th man type role with the Bulls. I guess they are committed to playing Thomas and Noah, and Nocioni and Gooden will be a good bench rotation. They still need a center of some magnitude, hopefully someone to replace Noah.

As far as Yao goes, that pretty much eliminates the Rockets from doing anything this year. Not that they were going anywhere anyways. Good luck watching MeMac lead his team to another early playoff exit.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:51 PM   #663
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
In one of the threads last year, I think during the NCAA tourney, I was slammed for saying that Noah's NBA career would more closely mirror Cherokee Park's career rather than Christian Laettner's career.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:55 PM   #664
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If he does mature, he could be a solid cog i suppose.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #665
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Time to rely on Tmac in the postseason

More like, rely on him to even get to the post-season. .500 ball the rest of the way would get them 49 wins, which could not be enough. If they do make it in, they'll have a heck of a time in the first round no matter who they draw.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:48 PM   #666
Groundhog
Coordinator

Wow.

I know that making fun of the Knicks these days is like making fun of a clown for having big shoes, but still... You can sum up Thomas' time in NY nicely with that one clip.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:00 PM   #667
miami_fan
Coordinator

What are the chances of McGraddy remaining healthy for the rest of the year?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:06 PM   #668
Groundhog
Coordinator

McGrady's average games played per season (excluding his rookie year in Toronto (some DNP-CDs IIRC) and the strike year: 71.25 games per season, or 11 games a year. There has been a steady decline in games played per season however, with the biggest exception to that being his first year in Houston where he played a career 2nd-best 78 games.

He's missed 15 this year, putting him on pace for 60 games played this season total if he keeps up his current injury pace, or 67 if he stays healthy.

If his history is anything to go by, it will be closer to 60, meaning he'll miss around 7 games.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:08 PM   #669
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Tyrus Thomas does look pretty good though in the last two games I've seen him since the trade. I think he might be more than just another Stromile Swift clone.

Thomas is SLOWLY getting a bit more consistent, I've seen some improvement. He's still a ways away though, with his "did you just see *that*" moves one minute, followed by vanishing or being a total fuckup later on.

But, I have noticed his complete mental breakdowns are lessening.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 02-26-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:49 PM   #670
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

Wow.

I know that making fun of the Knicks these days is like making fun of a clown for having big shoes, but still... You can sum up Thomas' time in NY nicely with that one clip.

Haha!! Five seconds left on the clock too.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:50 PM   #671
korme
Go Reds

If you are Thomas, how is Randolph not getting pulled for at least the last 30 seconds of the half?
Old 02-26-2008, 08:34 PM   #672
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Thomas is SLOWLY getting a bit more consistent, I've seen some improvement. He's still a ways away though, with his "did you just see *that*" moves one minute, followed by vanishing or being a total fuckup later on.

But, I have noticed his complete mental breakdowns are lessening.

I dunno if you watched the Mavs game, but he had a pretty nice coast to coast type move. I was impressed that for someone his size he could do that, anyways.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #673
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
I dunno if you watched the Mavs game, but he had a pretty nice coast to coast type move. I was impressed that for someone his size he could do that, anyways.

Yeah, I did. He's unbelievably athletic and gifted. It's mental/motivational with him.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #674
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Houston is now out of the race

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:51 PM   #675
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by watravaler View Post
It's quite ridiculous how much better Ty Thomas looks without Ben Wallace stealing his minutes. I already miss Joe Smith however...what is wrong with Gooden? On the surface, he appears to be a solid player, nothing special, but he could be so much better. But then I see him taking plays off, shooting a 22 footer, etc...something 'aint right...

That was Gooden's M.O. since the day he stepped foot on the KU campus. He always shows flashes of brilliance but never wanted to work at all to achieve his potential. One of the comments you could hear around here is that he never improved from the day he stepped onto campus- he was really good when he got here but never really improved his game.

SI

Old 02-26-2008, 09:37 PM   #676
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wow, Redd comes up big at the buzzer.

Last edited by stevew : 02-26-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:14 PM   #677
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah, tough loss for the Cavs. The Bucks need to trade half of their roster away, because they certainly have some parts. There is no excuse for them being as bad as they have been this year.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:21 PM   #678
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Yeah, tough loss for the Cavs. The Bucks need to trade half of their roster away, because they certainly have some parts. There is no excuse for them being as bad as they have been this year.
The East is crazy from the 7 spot to the 12 spot - with three games separating 6 teams. Atlanta is 22-32 and a game and a half out of the playoffs. Heck, the Bulls are 2 and 1/2 and the Bucks are 3 back. If any of those 6 teams goes 6-4 over a 10-game stretch, they may end up with the 6-seed.

Just to give it a little perspective, if the Kings were in the East, they would be essentially tied for the 6-seed. Denver, who's a half game out of the playoffs, would be comfortably in the 4-spot.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:24 PM   #679
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
The East is crazy from the 7 spot to the 12 spot - with three games separating 6 teams. Atlanta is 22-32 and a game and a half out of the playoffs. Heck, the Bulls are 2 and 1/2 and the Bucks are 3 back. If any of those 6 teams goes 6-4 over a 10-game stretch, they may end up with the 6-seed.

Just to give it a little perspective, if the Kings were in the East, they would be essentially tied for the 6-seed. Denver, who's a half game out of the playoffs, would be comfortably in the 4-spot.

And if the Suns were in the East they'd have a few more losses thanks to the Pistons Billups flat out owns Nash.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:50 AM   #680
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

The Suns are sorely missing Shawn Marion's defensive presence.

They've constantly had less steals than their season average of 7. Tonight they only had 3. The other nights they had 6, 2, and 3. Yikes.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:53 AM   #681
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
And if the Suns were in the East they'd have a few more losses thanks to the Pistons Billups flat out owns Nash.

They would make up for it against the rest of the East. They're something like 23-3 against the East this year. They're around .500 in the West.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:11 AM   #682
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

Did I read that score right? Who said Shaq would help the Suns?
Old 02-28-2008, 02:27 AM   #683
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I think that Shaq's presence is going to be quantifiable in the playoffs, when games slow down and teams dig in for multiple seven-game series. That's when his playoff experience and size are going to come into play.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:48 PM   #684
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Cassell gets his buy-out. Next stop the C's? Along with the addition of P.J. Brown the Celtics' perceived weakness has become somewhat of a strength:

Rondo/Cassell
Allen/House/Allen
Pierce/Posey
KG/Powe/Baby
Perkins/Brown/Pollard

I'm confident in this team going forward, heck I would've felt good with just PJ on board, but Cassell possibly too...I'm feeling excellent.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:10 PM   #685
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Barry choses to stay in SA (big surprise there ), but the SA Express had an article stating they may have violated league rules in contacting him before the 30 day waiting period. If that's the case, the Express says he would not be eligible for their postseason roster. No way Stern would let that happen, but just an interesting sidenote.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:44 PM   #686
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Awful weird decision by the Clips. Cassell reverted to baby whining the past week. And they caved and gave in, and even gave him money to go away. Yup, that's my team--quality ship you're running there, Donald.

And, BTW, memo to the Clips' front office--if you want to avoid this in the future, do something--anything--to move the guy at the deadline. For crying out loud, everyone and their mother knew he wasn't going to be happy playing out the rest of this season here.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:58 PM   #687
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Ah... it feels great.

The Lakers are the Lakers, and the other LA Team is the other LA Team again.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:04 AM   #688
korme
Go Reds

I like Rondo, but if I have to see 1 wide-open missed layup in the playoffs I will (heh) think about changing the channel. Cassell has no business coming off the bench, stick his ass in the starting lineup with the rest of the vets.

Also, fantasy wise, Gregg Pop sucks. My man Kurt Thomas has been a solid anchor for me all season with a 7-9, and now he goes and plays 4 minutes tonight against Dallas. I better shop him around before the March 6 deadline...
Old 02-29-2008, 05:31 PM   #689
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
I like Rondo, but if I have to see 1 wide-open missed layup in the playoffs I will (heh) think about changing the channel. Cassell has no business coming off the bench, stick his ass in the starting lineup with the rest of the vets.

Also, fantasy wise, Gregg Pop sucks. My man Kurt Thomas has been a solid anchor for me all season with a 7-9, and now he goes and plays 4 minutes tonight against Dallas. I better shop him around before the March 6 deadline...

I'm pretty sure if they brought him in, Rondo would still start. Defensively it's no contest, and with the Big 3, scoring is not something needed on the first unit out of a pg. I think Cassell is best served spotting Rondo early on and then leading the bench.

At the end of the game, I think they'll ride whoever has it going. Rondo can at times be unstoppable driving past his man and dishing or laying it in, and when he is, it's a thing of beauty. However, there are certainly games where sits back too much and really never gets involved where I think Cassell could step in and show the young fella how to run it.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:11 PM   #690
Arles
Grey Dog Software

When I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it. This Suns team is flat out terrible right now. They may be the worst team from a transition defense standpoint in the history of the NBA (and that includes those Nuggets teams). Nash looks terrible, their offense looks awful and I don't see this team making the playoffs. Given they've mortgaged their future on saving cap space, it's going to be 3-4 very lean years for the Suns as we move forward.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:16 PM   #691
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm sure they will be fine. After all, they have a 2 time mvp running the show.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:18 PM   #692
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I wouldn't close the book on them just yet, given that all teams go through bad stretches. My condolences in any case, as it's gotta hurt watching your favorite team go through this.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:22 PM   #693
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I'm more of a baseball and NFL fan when it comes to teams, so it's no biggie. Plus, it will be nice to watch the Western conference playoffs without a dog in the fight as I think they will be phenominal.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #694
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
I'm sure they will be fine. After all, they have a 2 time mvp running the show.
A 2-time MVP who just set a personal record for turnovers in a month during Feb. You guys are right, they may well sneak in the postseason, but I wouldn't bet on it. The West is just too strong right now for them to go 3-4 in their next 7 (and that's a best case, IMO).
Old 03-01-2008, 10:28 PM   #695
Anthony
Banned

when are teams going to stop letting ex-players become GMs?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:30 AM   #696
miami_fan
Coordinator

I don't see enough Suns games to know. Is it normal for Raja Bell not to shoot from the paint at all? Looking at his shot chart, he had like one shot that was not from 15 feet or longer.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:31 AM   #697
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Again...

Only 2 steals for the Suns in the game.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:31 AM   #698
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

...but Shaq held Dalembert to 1-9 shooting and 5 points...Oh and my lowly Wolves just beat these guys handily a week ago.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:36 AM   #699
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
when are teams going to stop letting ex-players become GMs?

It's so odd. In MLB and the NFL, there seems to be a "business" and "analysis" side of the front office so silliness like this doesn't happen. You just don't see players retire, be a token coach/front office schlub for a year, and then take over the most important position in your organization. In the NBA and somewhat in the NHL, this just isn't the case.

SI

Old 03-02-2008, 09:39 AM   #700
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The thing is, they aren't all bad. Take Joe Dumars in Detroit. '
Former Player' does not automatically equal bad GM.