Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-28-2007, 11:34 PM   #651
rjolley
College Starter

Random thoughts about the draft:

Hate the Noah pick for the Bulls. Out of the Florida players, he's the one that isn't worthy of that high of a pick. I think he'll be a serviceable player, but not great. The rest of their draft was so-so. Gray, like Noah, didn't have a great year compared to their 2006 season, and Curry, while good, is yet another wing.

The Knicks, Sonics, and Blazers had great drafts. Great picks and trades made. NY getting rid of CryBaby's contract AND getting another post player in the east (along with Curry and the kid from Kentucky) is just great. And the kid form De Paul is not that bad either. Sonics got some good players. Look out for Landry, an undersized PF out of Purdue. He was solid player for them. The Knicks' gain is the Blazers' gain. I was hoping it'd be the Bulls' gain, though.

What were the Bobcats thinking? Trading Wright away? They didn't need another post, but man, trade Sean May or something. Wright could develop into a solid player.

I don't think I've said "Who in the world is that?" so much in the first round.

Liked Atlanta's draft a lot. Horford is the best of the Florida gang and Law is going to be a solid floor general. They just need a couple of years to get it going.

San Antonio and Phoenix got very good players for their system. Tucker will do well in the desert, Williams has potential for the Spurs, and Strawberry can be a defensive stopper for the Suns.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:35 PM   #652
Groundhog
Coordinator

Not sure what to make of Charlotte-Golden State's trade.

Golden State picked up a decent SG in Belinelli, and Wright has a ton of potential, but still developing. Does seem to fit their style of play though.

Charlotte get an athletic guy (and pretty solid overall player) to replace Wallace, but risk losing a guy who could potentially be a dominant 4-man in a couple of years, which is more valuable than a dominant 2/3-man.

Not sure which side came out ahead.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:43 PM   #653
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Okay, I don't feel so bad about Jordan's Munsterish looks no more.

That's Koponen. I suppose I could just keep posting picks of the Euros or the Chinese guys. They could all use stylists.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:52 PM   #654
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

My first thought was: "Why did someone post a picture of Laura Bush in this thread?"

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:46 AM   #655
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Not sure what to make of Charlotte-Golden State's trade.

Golden State picked up a decent SG in Belinelli, and Wright has a ton of potential, but still developing. Does seem to fit their style of play though.

Charlotte get an athletic guy (and pretty solid overall player) to replace Wallace, but risk losing a guy who could potentially be a dominant 4-man in a couple of years, which is more valuable than a dominant 2/3-man.

Not sure which side came out ahead.

GS got the better deal IMO. Because the Bobcats are so far under the cap, the Warriors also took Richardson off their books. So now the Warriors got an extra $10 million to work with this summer.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:24 AM   #657
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
GS got the better deal IMO. Because the Bobcats are so far under the cap, the Warriors also took Richardson off their books. So now the Warriors got an extra $10 million to work with this summer.
If my calculations are correct, the Warriors are now at $50 million after the trade. Once you add in the Wright pick, they will be $1-2 million under the cap. That means they lose the MLE and have very little cap space. This tells me they must have another trade in the works and going into the offseason like this would be very short sighted.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:26 AM   #658
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah that 10m+ trade exception could be great for them if they use it right. GSW may actually be a destination for Garnett now, they have the pieces to make a trade, and that Exception is going to save the team that gets it several million dollars next year at least.

Something like

The TE for Madsen, Hudson

Wright, Harrington, Foyle, Jaskevicious, Ellis Picks for KG

Warriors would have a good starting 5 Davis/Belinni/Jackson/KG/Beidrins and could probably put together a decent bench out of what they could scrounge up. Nelly only plays like a 6 man rotation anyways.

Last edited by stevew : 06-29-2007 at 09:35 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:28 AM   #659
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
If my calculations are correct, the Warriors are now at $50 million after the trade. Once you add in the Wright pick, they will be $1-2 million under the cap. That means they lose the MLE and have very little cap space. This tells me they must have another trade in the works and going into the offseason like this would be very short sighted.

They won't lose their MLE cause they won't ever be under the cap....they aren't renouncing their trade exception anytime soon. Plus there are still cap holds for Pietrius and Cabarkarpa until they sign.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:38 AM   #660
MikeVic
Head Coach

Why is everyone down on Richardson? I think he's a good player. Wright COULD be good, but he won't be an all-star PF will he? Meanwhile, Richardson is an all-star SG...
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:42 AM   #661
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Um....Gray had the same PPG, nearly identical RPG, better shooting % and slightly better BPG compared to 06. Pretty much had exactly the year he had in 06.

True, but I would've expected him to have a better season, not just basically the same season. He's definitely a project. I thought coming into the 2006 draft, he was being mentioned as a late 1st rounder, and this year, you rarely heard his name. Maybe he develops into Brad Miller if his offense improves, which isn't a bad thing. Still, as he is now, he and Noah are defensive, rebounding post players...exactly the same as what they have now.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:47 AM   #662
Huckleberry
College Starter

Not following the NBA for the past several years, I guess I'll document my relatively uneducated guesses:

Brewer will be the Gator flop
Noah will be a serviceable big man
Horford will make a few all-star teams, think Otis Thorpe with a higher peak but shorter career
Durant's immediate impact will not be as greater than Oden's as people think due to strength and stamina issues. Obviously both will end up great.
I'm really interested in Fazekas' career as he is a classic case of the numbers and the eyes disagreeing - he doesn't look like an NBA success but his production was outstanding across the board in college. I'm pulling for the guy.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:10 AM   #663
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Wow, I'm shocked there was only one comment on that interview. I realize it's bad form to make fun of accents, but honestly, imitating Yi will be a comedy goldmine. Where are the sound bites from the Pirates and Shrek premiers? Heck, has he screwed Paris yet?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/070629

Quote:
5:08: Yi's interpreter-less interview with Stu Scott wins the ESPY for "Best impersonation of Andre the Giant by a Chinese guy" and "Biggest lock to be turned into a YouTube clip by at least 500 different people." Although you have to admire him for doing it. I'm starting to come around on Yi -- the thought of him shovelling out his car in minus-10 degree weather in January while fighting back tears and screaming, "Why????? Why?????" in Chinese is delightful for some reason. Too bad they'll trade him. If the Chinese government can torture Jack Bauer for two years, they can definitely break the Bucks.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:42 AM   #664
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

http://blog.kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=2816

Good if you like funny running diaries of the draft.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:52 AM   #665
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Celtics could get 2 good players at 32 and 35.

or not

knew ainge would fuck this whole thing up
Old 06-29-2007, 12:19 PM   #666
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
http://blog.kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=2816

Good if you like funny running diaries of the draft.

i stopped reading after the 10th pick when it became apparent he was doing a horrible Bill Simmons impersonation.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:23 PM   #667
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

This is the one day each year that I can read Bill Simmons and not get sick to my stomach. I like his NBA draft diaries, but I can't stand anything else he writes.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:07 PM   #668
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
i stopped reading after the 10th pick when it became apparent he was doing a horrible Bill Simmons impersonation.

Seconded.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:44 PM   #669
Jas_lov
College Starter

In other news, Mark Cuban is now claiming that the reason the Warriors upset his Mavericks in the 1st round of the playoffs this year was because Don Nelson had "confidential information" and is suing Nelson to try and get him to quit the Warriors head coaching job.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/152950.html
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:43 PM   #670
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
In other news, Mark Cuban is now claiming that the reason the Warriors upset his Mavericks in the 1st round of the playoffs this year was because Don Nelson had "confidential information" and is suing Nelson to try and get him to quit the Warriors head coaching job.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/152950.html

oh god. keep the lawsuits off the court/field please.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:04 PM   #671
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
or not

knew ainge would fuck this whole thing up

I like Pruitt as a Delonte replacement, and Big Baby...well he's big and could possibly out-duel Eddy Curry in an eating contest.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:09 PM   #672
JeeberD
General Manager

Apparently the Blazers are going to buy out Francis' contract...

Randolph heading to Knicks, Francis shipped to Blazers in draft-day trade
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Updated: June 28, 2007, 9:53 PM ET

The New York Knicks didn't have a lottery pick Thursday night but made their own draft-night splash by acquiring Portland big man Zach Randolph.

The Knicks and Trail Blazers reached agreement on a deal that swaps Randolph and teammates Dan Dickau and Fred Jones for guard Steve Francis and Channing Frye.

Francis has only two seasons left on his contract, worth just over $34 million, but possesses the option to become a free agent after next season. The Blazers, however, are planning to buy out Francis' contract and make him a free agent this summer, sources said.
Yet even if they changed course and decided to keep Francis, his arrival would still provide Portland with some long-term payroll relief, since Randolph has four seasons left on his contract worth more than $61 million.

Randolph averaged 23.6 points and 10.1 rebounds in a breakout season in 2006-07 but has faced an uncertain future in Portland since late May, when Portland won the No. 1 overall pick in the draft lottery and the right to select Greg Oden. But the Blazers, who continue to put a premium on good citizenship after years of turmoil, prefer to jettison Randolph and build around a front line of Oden and LaMarcus Aldridge.

But neither Randolph's troubled off-court past nor the fact that New York already has a low-post presence in Eddy Curry appears to concern Knicks president Isiah Thomas.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2919929

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:04 PM   #673
miami_fan
Coordinator

Early free agent signings

Vince Carter re-ups with the Nets. 4 year $61.5 million

I am not a big Carter fan so this is way too much IMO. However the Nets can't really give up the 25 PPG he brings them.

Luke Walton re-ups with the Lakers. Six years $30 mil.

This deal I like for the Lakers. No it probably is not a player that Kobe wanted in L.A. but he is a solid role player. Also at that salary, he is a valuable commodity for a trade in the future.

Jason Kapono signs with the Raptors. 4 years $24 mil.

I like Kapono. I wish the Heat would have resigned him. I am glad they did not resign him at this amount. That is way too much for him. This reminds of the Cavs' signing of Damon Jones.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 07-01-2007, 07:08 PM   #674
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Luke Walton re-ups with the Lakers. Six years $30 mil.

This deal I like for the Lakers. No it probably is not a player that Kobe wanted in L.A. but he is a solid role player. Also at that salary, he is a valuable commodity for a trade in the future.

Actually, he is a player Kobe wanted in LA. He's one of maybe three or four on the whole team that Kobe liked and wanted back, because of his smart play and effort.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:13 PM   #675
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Jason Kapono signs with the Raptors. 4 years $24 mil.

Wow, thats a lot for a guy that can only do one thing.

The Walton signing is very nice. I expected the Lakers to overpay to keep him, but thats a good amount.

I'm interested to see how Carter ages. Its nice that the deal is only for 4 years, so I don't see the Nets getting burned here, but I don't expect Carter to age all that well.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:21 PM   #676
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Actually, he is a player Kobe wanted in LA. He's one of maybe three or four on the whole team that Kobe liked and wanted back, because of his smart play and effort.

Does that mean he will be rescinding his trade request now?
Old 07-01-2007, 07:46 PM   #677
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Does that mean he will be rescinding his trade request now?

If you were him, would you? Stupid Lakers management.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:14 PM   #678
MrBug708
Head Coach

Im on the other side of the Luke Walton fence, I think he has value only in the triangle and I think the triangle is not what suits this team as it stands
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:24 PM   #679
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Im on the other side of the Luke Walton fence, I think he has value only in the triangle and I think the triangle is not what suits this team as it stands

I actually agree with you, as I am not too wild about Walton either. But what else can the Lakers do? All they have to offer to non-Lakers free agents is the mid-level exception.

Might as well retain one of the decent players Kobe likes while they can. I look at Walton as insurance against having to depend on Vlad Rad for, well, anything, and as a nice bench player if the Lakers ever do actually pull off a trade to bring anyone in to help Kobe.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #680
MrBug708
Head Coach

Should have done a sign and trade for Matt Barnes with Brown and Walton.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:49 PM   #681
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Supposedly Memphis is on the verge of signing Anderson Verejao to an offer sheet worth at least 35 million over 5 years.

Depending on the structure, it could cost the Cavs as much as 16m to match, once you factor in the luxury tax.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:49 PM   #682
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Supposedly Memphis is on the verge of signing Anderson Verejao to an offer sheet worth at least 35 million over 5 years.

Depending on the structure, it could cost the Cavs as much as 16m to match, once you factor in the luxury tax.

If the Griz do that, I can finally stop listening to all the talking head moaning about how we need to get someone like Varejao on the team! I don't know what they'll moan about next, but it won't be about having to bring in a proven big body next to Pau!
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:01 PM   #683
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

I think that's too much for an energy guy like Varajao. I don't know that we can afford to match it, but the problem then of course is who the hell comes off our bench then when Gooden is having one of "those games"?
Old 07-02-2007, 07:13 PM   #685
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
With the way Flopararjao plays, just grab a tall soccer fairy and be done with it.

Yeah, I guess any old 6'10 240lbs "soccer fairy" from Brazil ought to be able to average 7-7 off the bench.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:46 PM   #686
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Andy does flop. But in a majority(at least 75%) of those cases, he clearly has the position, but the refs would swallow their whistles if he didn't add some sort of overemphasis.

He'd be a 13/10 type of guy if he got more minutes.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:48 PM   #687
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think that's too much for an energy guy like Varajao. I don't know that we can afford to match it, but the problem then of course is who the hell comes off our bench then when Gooden is having one of "those games"?

It's far more shocking for Gooden to have a good game, than for him to have "one of those games."
Old 07-02-2007, 09:22 PM   #688
miami_fan
Coordinator

Fisher leaves Jazz to focus on daughter's cancer treatment

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2924068

Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY -- The Utah Jazz agreed to release guard Derek Fisher from his contract Monday so he can concentrate on finding the best care for his 11-month-old daughter, who has cancer in her left eye.

Fisher said he wants to live in one of the six or seven cities being considered for Tatum's care.

He didn't rule out playing for another NBA team but emphasized that his daughter's health is his No. 1 priority.

"Life for me outweighs the game of basketball," Fisher told reporters after flying from New York to meet with Jazz owner Larry H. Miller and other team executives.

"When it comes to decisions related to them," he said of his family, "I do what's best."

The Jazz acquired Fisher a year ago in a trade with the Golden State Warriors. During eight seasons with the Los Angeles Lakers, he was part of three NBA championships -- experience that Utah's young team craved.

In May, his daughter was diagnosed with retinoblastoma, a cancerous tumor in her left eye. The danger is that it could spread to her brain or the rest of her body.

Fisher at times fought exhaustion trying to balance basketball and his daughter's welfare. He spent a day at a New York hospital in May, then flew to Utah for a Western Conference semifinal game against Golden State.

Only 350 cases of retinoblastoma are diagnosed each year in North America, according to Dr. A. Linn Murphree, director of the retinoblastoma program at Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, who is not involved in the Fisher case.

In most cases, patients lose the eye rather than undergo chemotherapy, but there are exceptions.

After the news conference, Fisher and wife Candace were flying to New York for another medical appointment Tuesday.

"Outwardly she's doing great. Her spirits are good," Fisher said of Tatum.

He said his desire to leave Utah does not mean that medical care here is weak. Rather, Fisher said he and his wife need a place that has the "right combination" of specialists.

He declined to identify the cities under consideration. Many NBA players work apart from their families, but it's not an option for him. He and Candace have four children.

"For me and my family, we just don't believe in it. ... I don't think I could be the player I could be if I had to carry that load," Fisher said.

Wiping away tears, Miller said Fisher "leaves a legacy" of leadership and toughness for Utah's young players.

"He's focused on the most important thing," the owner said of Fisher's request to leave the Jazz.

Fisher doesn't want to retire but acknowledged it's a possibility.

"I'll be 33 in August. I'm 6-1. I averaged 10 points this year," he said. "I don't know how many people feel strongly about what I do."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Old 07-02-2007, 09:53 PM   #689
MrBug708
Head Coach

D-Fish is one of the classiest guys out there. Glad to see he knows what his priorities are in life
Old 07-02-2007, 11:35 PM   #690
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Should have done a sign and trade for Matt Barnes with Brown and Walton.

My instant-math says that's $13 M per year for Barnes at least. Sounds like a Laker sorta move. He can go snowboarding over the All Star break Vlad Bad I mean Rad.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:00 AM   #691
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
D-Fish is one of the classiest guys out there. Glad to see he knows what his priorities are in life

Agreed. I admire his ability to keep things in perspective.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:07 AM   #692
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Wow, it looks like Lewis is going to get $15 mil per from Orlando (5 years, $75 mil). That's a lot of money but Orlando is starting to become a scary team in the east. Plus, from a selfish standpoint, it's nice to see all these stars (Lewis, Allen, Randolph, Richardson) go east
Old 07-03-2007, 12:16 AM   #693
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wow, it looks like Lewis is going to get $15 mil per from Orlando (5 years, $75 mil). That's a lot of money but Orlando is starting to become a scary team in the east. Plus, from a selfish standpoint, it's nice to see all these stars (Lewis, Allen, Randolph, Richardson) go east

None of whom actually were on teams likely to challenge the Suns anyway, though. I think it would mean more if players from the Spurs or Mavs or some of the other decent playoff teams in the West went east.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:47 AM   #694
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I guess that means Darko is available? He may actually get a biggish offer from Memphis, if they haven't committed to offering Varajao. I'd easily take Darko first.

Last edited by stevew : 07-03-2007 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:50 AM   #695
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
I guess that means Darko is available?

I'd rather pay Darko mid-level money than Varajao.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:56 AM   #696
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I'd rather pay Darko mid-level money than Varajao.

No dout about that, but I've read that Darko is looking for somehing in the $7-9 million per year range.

He can be ripped for being a bust, but I still blame that on Larry Brown's dislike for young players more than lack of talent on Darko's end. He showed a lot of promise (although he was horribly inconsistent) in his first year outside of Detroit. Given minutes and coaching, I still think he can develop into a very, very good power forward.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:43 AM   #697
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

So, the Garnett to Golden State rumors are starting to fly around pretty frequently. The latest bit that I gathered from Yahoo! News is that the Wolves want Monta Ellis, Brandan Wright, and Andris Biedrins, but the Warriors want to substitute Al Harrington for Biedrins. The article was poorly written, but I think that I have it down right. As a Warriors fan, I don't think I like either of the proposed deals.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:47 AM   #698
Groundhog
Coordinator

Aldridge on Oden today:

"One shot I couldn't block, and he came over my shoulder and blocked it; I was amazed," said power forward LaMarcus Aldridge, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2006 draft. "And he dunked everything around the rim."

Summer league games start on Friday.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:55 AM   #699
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Aldridge on Oden today:

"One shot I couldn't block, and he came over my shoulder and blocked it; I was amazed," said power forward LaMarcus Aldridge, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2006 draft. "And he dunked everything around the rim."

Summer league games start on Friday.

I think I have been lulled into complaceny regarding Oden. It's like his injured hand, combined with this easy-going demeanor, have tricked me into thinking he won't be a dominant player in the NBA. I think I have been fooled.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:57 AM   #700
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

The Knicks were rumored to be interested in a sign and trade with Seattle to get Lewis. Now that he is off the market, they may be setting their sights on getting.....Ron Artest.