Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-23-2007, 10:53 AM   #651
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Speaking of Dany Heatley, he got tossed around right before the fight started (I see where the term "ragdoll physics" comes from now), yet he didn't get a penalty. That means that he allowed himself to get flung like a shot put, yet he didn't even fight to defend himself or his goalie. Hell, I have more respect for Spezza and his turtling. At least he took his punches. Heatley was probably squealing like a pig as he ran for his life.

Wow, I loved that brawl. Great stuff.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:53 AM   #652
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Hey now... the last time Heatley sped away from a scene that fast, someone wound up dead.
I laughed way too hard at this.

Edit: Seriously, that was worthy of an "OH SNAP!" I'm rolling over here.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 02-23-2007 at 10:55 AM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:06 AM   #653
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I laughed way too hard at this.

Edit: Seriously, that was worthy of an "OH SNAP!" I'm rolling over here.

I had to do the "start fake-coughing loudly to cover up the clear sounds of laughing way too hard to be doing anything work-related."

P.S. I've been e-mailing back and forth with a friend about the fight, and I already passed that joke off as my own. Thanks.

Last edited by Logan : 02-23-2007 at 11:07 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:01 PM   #654
Pyser
Pro Rookie

scoring line or not, thats downright embrassing for ottawa. if im a senator, i have a tough time looking at anyone who was on the ice watching their goalie fight a non goalie.

this goes a long way, for me, towards explaining why ottawa has been so talented lately and havent won a thing. they just dont have the heart or grit.

and size is no excuse. gionta is the smallest guy in the league, and he routinely goes after chara.

fun for the fans though!
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:10 PM   #655
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
and size is no excuse. gionta is the smallest guy in the league, and he routinely goes after chara.

Has he dropped the gloves with Chara? I get the feeling Chara wouldn't do it, since he seems to have a decent sense of fair play, but if he has I wonder how it went.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:21 PM   #656
RendeR
Coordinator

I'm rather surprised at the lack of anger at neal, the guy is a known thug who has about as much hockey talent as, well me....and he takes out the opponents str player with an obviously late and unnecessary hit?

I'm really hoping he gets suspended finally. The guy is nothing more than a headhunter on the ice and has been for the last few seasons.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:25 PM   #657
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I'm rather surprised at the lack of anger at neal, the guy is a known thug who has about as much hockey talent as, well me....and he takes out the opponents str player with an obviously late and unnecessary hit?

I'm really hoping he gets suspended finally. The guy is nothing more than a headhunter on the ice and has been for the last few seasons.

While it was dirty for being late, it hurts the argument when everyone on the Buffalo bench was claiming it was an elbow by showing their elbows, then pointing out the cut on the head when the only reason for the cut was because Drury's helmet flew off and he hit his head on the ice.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:30 PM   #658
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
Has he dropped the gloves with Chara? I get the feeling Chara wouldn't do it, since he seems to have a decent sense of fair play, but if he has I wonder how it went.

i dont think he has, no. but im 100% sure if chara did, gionta wouldnt run away.

regardless, dumb on ott's coaches part, and even dumber on the players on the ice's part. at least pretend to try to get involved.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:31 PM   #659
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post

I don't know about that. Chris Neil is much less a thug than say, Andrew Peters. Chris Neil has 10 goals this year and scored 16 last year. Sure, he's known more for his fists than his hands, but I wouldn't consider him just a no-talent thug.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:33 PM   #660
Pyser
Pro Rookie

meanwhile...

Anson Carter to Carolina for a fifth-round pick in the 2008 draft.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:34 PM   #661
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
meanwhile...

Anson Carter to Carolina for a fifth-round pick in the 2008 draft.

A fifth-round pick? That's all? Well, he salary is a bit garish for what he brings to the table.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-23-2007, 12:38 PM   #662
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I don't know about that. Chris Neil is much less a thug than say, Andrew Peters. Chris Neil has 10 goals this year and scored 16 last year. Sure, he's known more for his fists than his hands, but I wouldn't consider him just a no-talent thug.
Agreed. In fact, if anything Neil is in danger of entering that "when a crusher becomes a rusher" phase of his career. He also had his turtle act against the Lightning last year. But I give him a pass -- his head was so screwed up from years of playing under Jacques "The Pacifist" Martin that it's a credit to him that he became the player he did.

Clean hit, by the way,
Old 02-23-2007, 12:38 PM   #663
Pyser
Pro Rookie

also, New Jersey's trade of Alexander Korolyuk to San Jose has been voided after the winger decided to stay in Russia rather than join the Sharks and resume his NHL career.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:40 PM   #664
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
A fifth-round pick? That's all? Well, he salary is a bit garish for what he brings to the table.

Here's how bad he's played for us this year: he was demoted to play with Jody Shelley. Enough said.

Good riddance, and it makes me realize how good the Sedin twins actually are.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:56 PM   #665
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22 View Post
Here's how bad he's played for us this year: he was demoted to play with Jody Shelley. Enough said.

Good riddance, and it makes me realize how good the Sedin twins actually are.

That's not good. Anson Carter is odd. He had a great season last year thnaks to playing with the Sedins, but, even despite his woes this year, he has averaged about 25 goals a season in his career, but yet he's been traded seven ties. You figure a winger who can score 25 goals a year would eventually stick somewhere, but that's clearly not been the case for this guy. He's always been a bit of an enigma to me.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:00 PM   #666
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I just saw the clip again, and it was pointed out that not only does Heatley run away, but at the end of it he's skating around by himself and still has his gloves and stick.

I mean... at that point, don't you drop your gloves just for appearances? Are you worried that they're going to start play again and you may need to receive an outlet pass?
Old 02-23-2007, 01:19 PM   #667
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
That's not good. Anson Carter is odd. He had a great season last year thnaks to playing with the Sedins, but, even despite his woes this year, he has averaged about 25 goals a season in his career, but yet he's been traded seven ties. You figure a winger who can score 25 goals a year would eventually stick somewhere, but that's clearly not been the case for this guy. He's always been a bit of an enigma to me.

His work ethic drives coaches nuts. The problem with his 25 goals/year is they are usually a very quiet 25 goals. He rarely shows up when you need him to.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:21 PM   #668
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I just saw the clip again, and it was pointed out that not only does Heatley run away, but at the end of it he's skating around by himself and still has his gloves and stick.

I mean... at that point, don't you drop your gloves just for appearances? Are you worried that they're going to start play again and you may need to receive an outlet pass?

Maybe he's still on probation?
Old 02-23-2007, 01:53 PM   #669
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman View Post
Old 02-23-2007, 01:59 PM   #670
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Just saw the Carter deal. Even if he doesn't add up to a lot, a fifth round pick is all that was lost in the deal, so I'm not real worried about it. If he helps, hey, it's better than nothing. Cole's out for a while with a bad hip, so that's probably what prompted the trade.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:58 PM   #671
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
While it was dirty for being late, it hurts the argument when everyone on the Buffalo bench was claiming it was an elbow by showing their elbows, then pointing out the cut on the head when the only reason for the cut was because Drury's helmet flew off and he hit his head on the ice.

It was still late, regardless. When you go after an opposing team's top player and captain with a hit like that, your just asking for it. Ruff, after the game, changed his comments to reflect that wasn't an elbow. However, he still called it a dirty late.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:03 PM   #672
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
It was still late, regardless. When you go after an opposing team's top player and captain with a hit like that, your just asking for it. Ruff, after the game, changed his comments to reflect that wasn't an elbow. However, he still called it a dirty late.
A third-liner going after a star isn't dirty. That doesn't mean the Sabres can't be mad or can't go out for revenge, just that the hit was clean.

Was it dirty? No. Do the Sabres still need to take care of some business? Yes, of course they do.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:04 PM   #673
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
A third-liner going after a star isn't dirty. That doesn't mean the Sabres can't be mad or can't go out for revenge, just that the hit was clean.

Was it dirty? No. Do the Sabres still need to take care of some business? Yes, of course they do.

How is a hit "clean" if it's late? I don't understand the argument how it was clean, but late. Wouldn't a late hit be consider dirty?

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-23-2007 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:17 PM   #674
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
How is a hit "clean" if it's late? I don't understand the argument how it was clean, but late. Wouldn't a late hit be consider dirty?
I didn't think it was late. And if it was, it was a fraction of a second late.... "technically in violation of the rules" isn't the same as "dirty" or "cheap".
Old 02-23-2007, 03:20 PM   #675
Galaxy
Coordinator

You didn't think it was late? Chris had that puck gone for at least a few seconds.

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-23-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:24 PM   #676
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
You didn't think it was late? Chris had that puck gone for at least a few seconds.
Count from the time he shoots the puck to impact. You'll get to about "one missi-" before the hit. That's not late. Guys don't become untouchable as soon as the puck leaves their stick.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:28 PM   #677
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Random thought: why didn't Emery get the automatic match penalty for fighting with tape on his hand?
Old 02-23-2007, 03:47 PM   #678
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Maple Leafs pretty much covered my answer, there's a lot of intent involved in the distinction. Same as getting to a QB a split second late & getting 15 yards for roughing the passer isn't considered "dirty", but knocking him ass over teakettle 7 seconds after the play is over often would be.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:53 PM   #679
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Random thought: why didn't Emery get the automatic match penalty for fighting with tape on his hand?

The refs probably just missed it. One of those situations where so much was going on at the time that it was completely over-looked. I wonder if the league can go back and assess such a penalty after reviewing the tape.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:57 PM   #680
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

More fun with Dany Heatley: Before that faceoff, he shoved Patrick Kaleta. Now, normally, I'd think that it was retaliatory, but Kaleta was playing in his first NHL game ever. What are the chances that he's going to start talking serious shit to Heatley before the faceoff? So Heatley shoves Kaleta, waits for the faceoff, and then runs off looking for mommy. Comedy through the fucking roof.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:01 PM   #681
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

How funny would it be if after all that, the only suspendable offense was having tape on your hand?
Old 02-23-2007, 04:22 PM   #682
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Ray Emery is awesome!
Old 02-23-2007, 06:14 PM   #683
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman View Post

I thought he found some way to weasel out of that a long time ago. As far as anybody in Atlanta knows, he has never bothered to do his community service time either.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:02 PM   #684
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I thought he found some way to weasel out of that a long time ago. As far as anybody in Atlanta knows, he has never bothered to do his community service time either.

Maybe he figured playing for Ottawa was his community service.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:07 PM   #685
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
As far as anybody in Atlanta knows, he has never bothered to do his community service time either.
You're kidding, right?
Old 02-24-2007, 03:57 AM   #686
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
You're kidding, right?

Not at all.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:59 AM   #687
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

The rematch is tonight!

No suspensions levied after Thursday night's game, although Lindy Ruff was fined $10,000 for his actions (likely tied to the instigator penalties).

Ottawa is dressing their enforcer for tonight's game and while overhyped games like this end up being just that, I do expect to see McGratton and Peters face off pretty early in the contest.

I think the game will really be physical but I doubt we'll see Ottawa take liberties with Buffalo's stars...at least the ones still healthy (Briere, Vanek, Miller).

Seven of Buffalo's 18 skaters tonight (eight if you include Peters ) are AHL'ers. Talk about being in tough...
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:08 PM   #688
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I bet the game will be boring. I *might* TiVo it just in case.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:23 PM   #689
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Rob Ray had some interesting comments in the paper today about the Sens not doing anything when Peters went after Emery. He told a story about dropping the gloves with Patrick Roy once and having half the Canadiens roster on top of him within a few seconds.

As someone who doesn't really care about either team, I hope the Sabres being down so many players means an Ottawa blowout. You know, so we can get to the fun stuff.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:29 PM   #690
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Rob Ray had some interesting comments in the paper today about the Sens not doing anything when Peters went after Emery. He told a story about dropping the gloves with Patrick Roy once and having half the Canadiens roster on top of him within a few seconds.

Hard to defend a "soft" label after that incident, for sure.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:36 PM   #691
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Hard to defend a "soft" label after that incident, for sure.
Unless you get a chance to make it right two nights later...
Old 02-24-2007, 12:45 PM   #692
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Unless you get a chance to make it right two nights later...

Nothing will happen. League brass will be in attendance. The game will be called tight and it will be really boring. At least that's my take on it. I'd like to be surprised, but it usually goes the boring route.

Last edited by Tekneek : 02-24-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:03 PM   #693
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Nothing will happen. League brass will be in attendance. The game will be called tight and it will be really boring. At least that's my take on it. I'd like to be surprised, but it usually goes the boring route.
True. The last time the Sens had a "payback" game was this year after Darcy Tucker pummelled Patrick Eaves. Neil and McGratton talked up a storm for two days. Then Neil gave Tucker a stern talking-to at the opening faceoff and nothing else happened.

Maybe this time they'll go one step further and pen a nasty letter to the editor.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:14 PM   #694
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Does any team need a PP specialist for the playoff run, 'cause I'd love for the Jackets to get rid of Bryan Berard (err... Bryan Berar) yesterday. Here's his lovely quote in the paper this morning:

"Hopefully, I’ll get moved somewhere and play in the playoffs," Berard said in Saturday's Columbus Dispatch. "I’m not playing as well as I’d like to play right now, obviously. But not being one of Hitch’s guys, I’m not playing as much as I’d like, either."

Not being one of Hitch's guys = I suck at defense! He was never impressive at all here (sans a nice hat trick on a set of PP goals), and my wife went to the first exhibition game after the lockout when we first got Berard. She didn't know too much about hockey at the time, and when she got home, she was like "Who is this Berard guy, is he a minor league guy, because he can't play a lick of D."

Got a chance to meet him a couple weeks ago a a Hockey Festival thing that the CBJ had, and you could tell he didn't want to be there, was probably the rudest player by a mile.

I'm not usually a mean person, but so long Cyclops!!!!!

(Sorry, its been a terrible season in Columbus, and I need to vent about it)
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:15 PM   #695
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I bet the game will be boring. I *might* TiVo it just in case.

it's a HNIC game, right? I Tivo the 7pm game for coaches corner and satellite hot stove anyway
Old 02-24-2007, 02:16 PM   #696
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
it's a HNIC game, right? I Tivo the 7pm game for coaches corner and satellite hot stove anyway
One of them... but Leafs/Flyers is the main game.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:18 PM   #697
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

btw, just happened to be half-watching the Isles-Canadians today. Some Bergeron guy for the Isles just saved a certain goal by blocking a shot in the goal crease to preserve a 3-2 lead.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:45 PM   #698
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
One of them... but Leafs/Flyers is the main game.

Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:02 PM   #699
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING-Acquired D Shane O'Brien and a 2007 third-round draft pick from Anaheim for G Gerald Coleman and a 2007 first-round draft pick.

I like Shane O'Brien, but Burke is a genius. The Canucks were idiots to force him out.

Last edited by Tekneek : 02-24-2007 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:18 PM   #700
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Maple Leafs pretty much covered my answer, there's a lot of intent involved in the distinction. Same as getting to a QB a split second late & getting 15 yards for roughing the passer isn't considered "dirty", but knocking him ass over teakettle 7 seconds after the play is over often would be.

But it wasn't a "spilt second". It was 4.4 seconds. Not to mention in the NFL, a helmet-to-helmet hit would draw a flag and fine.

BTW, the heavyweights just fought. Ottawa is playing very physical, trying to draw "blood", but the Sabres are just drawing the penalties and playing it more conservative.

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-24-2007 at 07:20 PM.