Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-05-2006, 06:43 PM   #651
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I don't want the Revs to have to play Houston in Colorado, Go Rapids!
Old 11-05-2006, 07:16 PM   #652
JeffNights
College Prospect

Hey going off-topic, has Freddy Adu lived up to all the hype?

I'm a middle of the road soccer fan I guess....

And will he acatully lead the US National team someday?
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:25 PM   #653
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNights View Post

I think no and no are the answers there.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:27 PM   #654
JeffNights
College Prospect

Well thats a bummer.
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:48 PM   #655
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well thats a bummer.

Adu played really well lately, but his coach is holding him back, Freddy was their most dangerous player tonight, but their coach subbed him off anyway.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:55 PM   #656
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Well there you go then, two reasons to disallow it

The whistle went long before the ball was into the area, don't see what the ref can do more than that.

Not call nonexistent fouls? I've seen the clip now, and paid particularly close attention to what Drogba was doing to his defender. Whistle for that sort of thing on a consistent basis and you'll get three headed goals a season. Adding in Andy Gray's commentary on the clip, I've now heard three different suggestions for where the foul might have been and none of them make a whole lot of sense.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:16 PM   #657
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
If we lose anywhere other than Mexico City and Saprissa, there better be "Fire Klinsi" chants.
FYP.

Our record at Saprissa is worse than our record at Azteca.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:19 PM   #658
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well thats a bummer.
Given how outrageous the hype was, it's really not that remarkable that he didn't live up to it. He's still a pretty talented offensive player, and it's a credit to him that he's done as well as he has at his age.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Old 11-05-2006, 10:52 PM   #659
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
Given how outrageous the hype was, it's really not that remarkable that he didn't live up to it. He's still a pretty talented offensive player, and it's a credit to him that he's done as well as he has at his age.

At the same token, he still is pretty young and perhaps under a better coach (like, say, at PSV Eindhoven, who is pretty good for younger players) he'll thrive. Though, agreed that the hype was completely off the wall... few could ever live up to such expectations (and they were called Pele, Beckenbauer, Di Stefano, etc ).
Old 11-05-2006, 11:01 PM   #660
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Okay, everyone one of you needs to watch the Chelsea-Tottenham game - its football at its very best, with a little bit of everything. Just wow.

Match of the year thus far.......Tottenham really turned it up today, Lennon and Keane were sensational on the wings, while Chimbonda and Dawson did a great job defensively. Chimbonda in particular was always right there when a big clearance was needed......It came out after the game he was playing on an injured Knee as well.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 08:28 PM   #661
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:

While I agree he hasn't lived up to the hype, he's still a 17 year old starting on one of the best teams in the MLS and has 'interest' if you believe his people by the major European teams. That's not too shabby for a 17 year old US player.

I think he fell for some of his own hype and hasn't progressed necessarily like he should though (I'm not sure he really has pushed himself, but we'll see when he goes to Europe). I also think he's frankly too small ... he gets muscled off the ball way too often and while he's quick he's not exactly the fastest guy on the pitch.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:43 AM   #662
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
At the same token, he still is pretty young and perhaps under a better coach (like, say, at PSV Eindhoven, who is pretty good for younger players) he'll thrive.
PSV ain't no option right now, I think. Guus Hiddink is gone and I'm personally not a big believer in Ronald Koeman, yet. Given that Adu is an attacking midfielder, he wouldn't get a chance at PSV anyway right now, since the team typically doesn't field a central attacking midfielder lately. Although, the whole environment at PSV is good for young talented players, he'd also get into a huge competition with (amongst others) Eindhoven's own Dutch-Moroccan wonder boys Ibrahim Afellay (20yo) and Ismail Aissati (18yo).

Bottom line, it's still far too early to determine how good Adu is going to be. From what I read here and there, it seems Adu needs a change of environment fast (train on a daily base with better players) to cotinue his progress. Some of you will hate me for saying this, but in the current status of the MLS, staying there won't make Adu one of the world's best players.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:34 AM   #663
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Some of you will hate me for saying this, but in the current status of the MLS, staying there won't make Adu one of the world's best players

why would we hate you? most americans have agreed with this statement for quite a while
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:02 PM   #664
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

Look up Sonny Pike for the English equivalent...

Edit: actually, only the hype was the equivalent - Adu has already done more than Pike, who couldn't deal with the pressures heaped on him from the age of seven (edited again because I'd forgotten exactly how young he was when he was first touted!)

Last edited by AlexB : 11-07-2006 at 03:56 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:54 PM   #665
Critch
lolzcat

Southend v Man Utd is worth watching, surprisingly enough.

(I'm never sure what level of spoiler is fitting for in here, so that's all I'm saying...)
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:43 PM   #666
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Speaking of Adu, looks like Freddy will be getting some training with Man U.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/stor...8?FSO1&ATT=HMA

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:04 PM   #667
Critch
lolzcat

I was wondering whether post 666 would be about Man Utd or Chelsea.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:42 PM   #668
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Not that this is surprising given the workout announcement, but it is apparently offically a tryout:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...391015&cc=5901

United will sign Adu if two-week trial goes well

Manchester United are keen on signing Freddy Adu if the Ghanaian-born American teenager can prove himself, Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed.

The hotly tipped 17-year-old is due to come to United for a two-week trial and could sign in the January transfer window.
Asked if he was interested in signing the midfielder, Ferguson said: 'I think so, he's only a young lad but we have known of him for a long time.
'We tried to get him here some years ago but he signed for DC United and that stopped the progress of us keeping tabs on him.'
United had previously denied any interest in the American star, who has been a considered a massive prospect ever since Inter Milan offered a six-figures fee for him having watched him in just one junior tournament prior to his 14th birthday.
Chelsea have also been linked with Adu, reportedly turning down a solid offer to sign him on loan in January 2007, with a view to a permanent £5 million transfer deal.
If Adu does enough to persuade Ferguson to offer him a permanent contract, a fee would have to be negotiated with MLS who, as with all US-based players, own Adu's registration.
Adu made his professional debut in Major League Soccer at just 14 years of age, making him the youngest professional athlete in modern US pro sports.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:04 PM   #669
Critch
lolzcat

So are Man Utd trying to sign Adu for his soccer potential, or are they trying to sign him to sell some extra Man Utd merchandise in the US?

I havent seen enough of him recently to know myself, last time I saw him was in the Under 19 World Championship where he was out of his depth, but a few years younger than the other players too.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:53 PM   #670
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I think they're primarily interested in him as a footballer, i mean, the kid is still just 17. However I'm sure they're quite aware of any potential bonus marketing effect, and won't ignore that. If they really think they can win some Man U fans in the US or sell some more jerseys, it makes signing him a risk even more worth taking, especially since the transfer fee is that of maybe a "solid" player in the premiership.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:14 PM   #671
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Heh. Gotta love the Celtic/Rangers rivalry

(from another wrestling fan friend of mine)

--A funny note from yesterday's Raw show in Glasgow. The Spirit Squad got themselves cheered inadvertently because WWE didn't know the local culture. Roddy Piper came to the ring wearing both Glasgow Rangers and Glasgow Celtic football scarves. The two local teams are bitter rivals and the respective fans hate each other. During the match, one of the Squad members grabbed his Rangers scarf and started spitting and stomping on it. This led to 90% of the arena cheering him wildly.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:47 PM   #672
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Roddy Piper is still around?
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:07 PM   #673
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

He's making a legends run teaming with Ric Flair (and Dusty, Arn, etcetera) against the Spirit Squad
Old 11-12-2006, 09:30 AM   #674
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Tottenham is an incredibly frustrating team this year.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:45 AM   #675
daedalus
Pro Rookie

THIS year?
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:56 PM   #676
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Anyone watching the MLS Championship game? I would honestly describe the entire production of the broadcast as somewhere in the realm of "embarassing."

It's really a shame they can't just focus on the freakin' game.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:58 PM   #677
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yeah I'm watching it while I do some other things. They really have no idea how to broadcast a game in this country. Some day, maybe.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 04:02 PM   #678
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Anyone watching the MLS Championship game? I would honestly describe the entire production of the broadcast as somewhere in the realm of "embarassing."

It's really a shame they can't just focus on the freakin' game.

And it's not even in High Definition.. shameful.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:07 PM   #679
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Unfortunately, this might be the worst game ever. BORING.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:14 PM   #680
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

OMG...are you kidding me???
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:17 PM   #681
Easy Mac

Goal NE in double OT. 1 minute later, Goal for Houston.

3 minutes left in 2nd OT.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:57 PM   #682
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

God fucking damnit.

This hurts. A lot, it's charlie Brown with the football over and over again.

Especially with Shalrie, Clint and possibly Taylor (what a fucking goal) going to Europe.

But I'm proud of my guys. 5 straight appearances in the Conference Final, and 3 Conference Championships.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:11 PM   #683
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

We need to thank whoever threw the smoke bomb on the field for getting things going... the game was brutal before then.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:22 PM   #684
PilotMan
Head Coach

You know though, I gotta like the direction that the league is heading in. The Beckham Rule will add some flavor in the league. It is tough to say what kind of player it really will draw, certainly if Becks makes the move it would be worth way more to the MLS than he will get paid, and of course, he would make more money with endorsements here than he would in salary.

Additionally, with the number of guys rumored to be going to Europe, the league could see a nice influx of transfer money. That along with the new TV contract could see the league reach a tipping point financially where the long term viability could be reached especially as more franchises are sold off to individual investors.

Now only if they would go to a more traditional setup instead of a playoff format, and somehow be able to include the USL other than in the Cup and this would be a good league with great potential.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:44 PM   #685
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
You know though, I gotta like the direction that the league is heading in. The Beckham Rule will add some flavor in the league. It is tough to say what kind of player it really will draw, certainly if Becks makes the move it would be worth way more to the MLS than he will get paid, and of course, he would make more money with endorsements here than he would in salary.

Additionally, with the number of guys rumored to be going to Europe, the league could see a nice influx of transfer money. That along with the new TV contract could see the league reach a tipping point financially where the long term viability could be reached especially as more franchises are sold off to individual investors.

Now only if they would go to a more traditional setup instead of a playoff format, and somehow be able to include the USL other than in the Cup and this would be a good league with great potential.

In principle I really like where things are heading, there are a lot of new stadiums coming in the next few years, which is big. Seeing teams play on gridiron-laden fields is painful, especially in the playoffs. So it's good to know we probably won't see that at all by say 2012 or so. By my records already, we'll see 9 of 13 league members playing in new soccer specific stadiums by 2008.

They announced teh playoff format for 2007 and im sorry that there are no major changes.... still a total of a 8 playoff teams, but it's now top 2 from each conference + 4 best from either conference. So in theory you could see a 5/3 or even 6/2 split (unlikely, but possible i guess) of playoff teams. I think 8 playoff teams is too many, and is still arguably too many by the time they hit 16 teams.

I would like to see 6 personally. 2 vs 3 in a single-game in each conference, played at the #2 stadium. Then the winner goes onto a two-leg conference final, and kind of like the away goal rule, i'd institute a #1 seed rule. 2-2 after both games? #1 seed advances.

Still 2 divisions next year as well. I'd probably like to see single-table. Might not happen though, because it could become worthless fast for teams at the bottom of the league, especially with no relegation/promotion system (which i think is very unlikely to happen, ever in the US).
Old 11-12-2006, 11:37 PM   #686
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

HOUSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woohooooo!! I wish I had brought my Dynamo jersey with me on this tour, I would have worn it today under the work clothes.

Sadly, I did not see the game because I was working. I was in the tent most the day surrounded by HDTV's hooked up with DirecTV HD and figured I would be able to put it on. After seeing the Packers take down the Vikes I go to put one of the TVs on the game and find out they didn't give us the local channels for the display..........so no game.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:53 PM   #687
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Still 2 divisions next year as well. I'd probably like to see single-table. Might not happen though, because it could become worthless fast for teams at the bottom of the league, especially with no relegation/promotion system (which i think is very unlikely to happen, ever in the US).

Also single table would most likely eliminate a true playoff at the end of the year for champion. It'd be percieved to be wierd to have a single table and then an 8 team playoff, because the end of every playoff in North American sports, you have one conference face off against another. And I think the MLS wants to keep that dynamic for the casual fan to be able to follow easier.

I'd like to see 2 divisions (I know there isn't a chance they get rid of it) with 2 teams from each division playing a semi-final home and home to set up a neutral site championship.

I'm not sure how I liked the 2 from each division than 4 at large teams. It's like they want to kind of do a single table like playoff but have divisions and division winners. Strange.

Though I'm still peeved about the lack of High Def for the finale. Come on, soccer is far better in HD, as the World Cup showed. At least have it for the finale. May make people who don't tune into regular soccer at least catch the last game!
Old 11-13-2006, 01:02 AM   #688
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'd probably like to see single-table. Might not happen though, because it could become worthless fast for teams at the bottom of the league, especially with no relegation/promotion system (which i think is very unlikely to happen, ever in the US).

Just my opinion, but I think a single table is not really geographically feasible.

Old 11-13-2006, 12:01 PM   #689
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Here is my idea:

How many teams are being added in 2008? There will be at least 14 teams. Switch the single table and have a league champion based on who has the highest points. Then, at the end of the season, have the MLS Cup that would be basically treated as the playoffs are now. Take the top eight teams and seed it according to regular season results.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:03 PM   #690
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Those hoping for single table will be perpetually disapointed. I don't think MLS will ever go for it.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:15 PM   #691
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Why can't the conference finals be home and home? One of many, many things regarding MLS I do not understand.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:49 PM   #692
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

I'm not sure about the Beckham rule. I don't know if MLS can afford to throw money at aging stars. And is this going to turn the MLS into a Senior Tour league? Beckham, Figo, and Ronaldo (granted he's not too old yet, but he does seem past his prime)? I understand how as a marketing tool this is great news, but for the development of the league as a competitive force I'm not sold.

Quote:

I'm with you here. Although I don't think it will ever happen, which is too bad. That's probably the main reason why I can't get into following this league. Without the fear of the drop, I'm just not interested.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:50 PM   #693
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Just my opinion, but I think a single table is not really geographically feasible.

Why?
Old 11-13-2006, 03:19 PM   #694
AlexB
Pro Starter

Don't know how many of you are bothering with Macclesfield v. Walsall in FA Cup round 1, but I've just seen something that's a first for me...

Out of one corner of the ground (which as a League 2 stadium is small & open in the corners), about 2 dozen footballs just appeared bouncing on to the pitch

Imagine some kids had just kicked them all onto the pitch from the street at the same time, but it was bizarre! Would have been better if they had done it when play was in that corner, but still funny.

Last edited by AlexB : 11-13-2006 at 03:20 PM. Reason: spelling
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:45 PM   #695
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik View Post
Why?
In general, I figure that it doesn't really make sense for a team on the east coast to play as many games against a team in LA as against a team in New York.

None of the major European leagues have similar concerns. (I dunno what Russia does.)

Old 11-13-2006, 04:04 PM   #696
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik View Post
I'm not sure about the Beckham rule. I don't know if MLS can afford to throw money at aging stars. And is this going to turn the MLS into a Senior Tour league? Beckham, Figo, and Ronaldo (granted he's not too old yet, but he does seem past his prime)? I understand how as a marketing tool this is great news, but for the development of the league as a competitive force I'm not sold.

i think the excitement is because it's perceived as "hey at least it's a start down the path." a crack in the league's armor.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:17 PM   #697
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
In general, I figure that it doesn't really make sense for a team on the east coast to play as many games against a team in LA as against a team in New York.

I understand how this could cause some concerns, but since everyone already plays each other at least twice (home and away), does it really matter that those last six games are against opponents closer to home?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I understand the reasoning behind having two divisions decided by geography, but logistics don't make it impossible for there to be only one table. The only thing I see calling for two divisions is so that you can have playoffs. With only one table, there's no need for playoffs.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:21 PM   #698
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

and we can't have a league in America without playoffs. Single Table with one champion will never fly in a country that does not have promotion/relegation and significant continental competition (so every team has a reason to play in the latter stages)
Old 11-13-2006, 04:29 PM   #699
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
and we can't have a league in America without playoffs. Single Table with one champion will never fly in a country that does not have promotion/relegation and significant continental competition (so every team has a reason to play in the latter stages)

I think the A-League is right there for promotion demotion, its just a matter of the MLS owners having the balls...former MLS team miami is in the a-league now, so its not a stetch
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:00 PM   #700
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Even with those things, it wouldn't fly without a playoffs to determine the eventual league champ. That's just how Americans are mostly ingrained. And advertizers in the US would never go for promotion/relegation (in Europe it ain't as big a deal).