Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-15-2006, 09:54 PM   #651
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
To be fair, Microsoft said "No backwards compatibility, who wants to play old games on cool nextgen hardware instead of the nextgen games?" (like many here are saying), then said "yes, we'll have backwards compatibility" when everyone complained, then said "we'll have to do it on a per-game basis so it's done right" when they figured out how they'd do it.

What he said.

And I'm not pretending it is, or was, smiles and sunshine.

Just saying that when you do things on a hardware basis, things are bound to go wrong. When you do it on a software basis, people have more room to gripe about why Game X isn't BC yet, but at least by the time you get it, it works right.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:01 AM   #652
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic View Post
AT my local Target people are already line up tonight in front of the store for the ps3.

Hope they have fun. I know for a fact that one of the larger retailers in our area only got 40% of the units they were supposed to receive. If this is the norm there's going to be some pissed off people.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:23 AM   #653
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Got the call from Gamestop yesterday evening. PS3 is all paid up and I pick it up Friday morning. Going to grab NBA 2K7, Resistance and Oblivion. Thank God for Friday releases. A whole weekend of gaming goodness lies in front of me.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:24 AM   #654
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
When you do it on a software basis, people have more room to gripe about why Game X isn't BC yet, but at least by the time you get it, it works right.

Plus, if you get it wrong (which they've done a couple of times), you can just fix it and upload the patch back to Xbox Live (which they've also done a couple of times).

Also note that this has allowed Microsoft to add features such as 720P and Widescreen support to original games that did not have them. They aren't just letting you play the original games, they are also enhancing them.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:24 PM   #655
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

So it begins... (from my local Wal-mart....)

hxxp://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=11/16/2006&id=14503

West Bend - One person was injured early this morning outside the Wal-Mart department store in West Bend as a crowd of about 50 people lined up for a chance to buy one of 10 coveted video game systems the store has for sale.

Police have provided details of the incident late this morning:

An assistant store manager announced to the crowd, which had formed about 7 a.m., that the store expected to receive only 10 of the Sony PlayStation 3 game consoles, and that they would become available at 12:01 a.m. Friday.

The store official placed 10 chairs outside the store and directed the waiting customers to another area. At a signal, the customers were told to run to try to occupy one of the chairs. During the contest, a 19-year-old man ran into a pole and struck his head, injuring himself. He was taken to a local hospital for treatment.

Police said the case was one of helping an injured person, and was not the subject of any criminal investigation.

What kind of an idiot sets up this kinda 'contest'? Nothing good could come from it.. all you need is one person to get injured or have someone in a wheelchair claim discrimination. Just hold a raffle and be done with it...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:34 PM   #656
wade moore
lolzcat

On the Opie and Anthony show (I know, it's a crapfest, but I jsut didn't turn my radio off) they were reporting drive-by shootings with BB Guns at people in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:46 PM   #657
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_320073017.html

Rowdy Playstation 3 Fans Shut Down Wal-Mart

(AP) PALMDALE, Calif. Sony's new game console isn't even out yet, and it's already causing trouble.

Sheriff's officials say deputies shut down a Super Wal-Mart in Palmdale after a crowd of shoppers camped out for a chance to buy PlayStation 3 got rowdy.

Deputies were called to the store when the crowd of 75 to 100 PlayStation seekers started getting unruly Wednesday night around 10:30 p.m. --- a full day and a half before the game machine goes on sale.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:59 PM   #658
General Mike
Pro Starter

People are gonna get mugged for their PS3s.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:03 PM   #659
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
People are gonna get shot for their PS3s.

changed that up a little...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 11-16-2006, 01:12 PM   #660
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Sony Apparently is smart enough to try to sell it all themselves:

SF PS3 mob nears 1,000
Burgeoning mass of gamers congregate outside the Sony Metreon complex; first 750 guaranteed consoles following near-scuffle.
By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot
Posted Nov 16, 2006 9:45 am PT

SAN FRANCISCO--With the PlayStation 3's North American debut just hours away, the natives are growing restless. San Francisco natives, that is, who are gathering outside the city's Metreon shopping complex, site of the flagship Sony Style store. Whether they were perched on the sides of metal barricades or seated comfortably in collapsible launch chairs, the hundreds-strong crowd had gathered for a single reason--to be one of the lucky 400,000 American gamers to get their hands on a PS3 on launch day.

It all began around 8 a.m. Wednesday morning, when a plucky quintet of Sony enthusiasts put down stakes. Due to liability reasons, the crowd was not allowed on the sidewalk in front of the Metreon. Instead, they were ushered by security guards hired by Sony to a line on Minna Street, a small alleyway across from the gleaming temple to the gods of commerce. According to those on the scene, by late Wednesday night, the line had grown into around 500, at which point security guards cut it off, shooing away stragglers.

By early Thursday, however, the throng had swelled to over 700 people, and San Francisco Police Department officers were dispatched to maintain order. Despite that, the façade of civilized behavior almost sloughed away around 7:30 a.m., when Sony employees ordered most of the crowd to relocate onto the sidewalk immediately in front of the Sony Style store on Fourth Street. Immediately, many began to rush to the front, and, according to those waiting in line, "things got ugly" when a scuffle nearly broke out. However, the eager gamers were coerced back by promises from Sony Style store officials that the first 750 people in line were guaranteed PS3 units--indicating that the retail outlet was flush with stock of the sought-after console.

By 8 a.m., the scene had grown more chaotic. The line was divided in half, with the first 500-odd people in line waiting on Fourth Street and several hundred more relegated to Minna Street. But while the Minna crowd was tightly controlled by a half-dozen security guards and the same number of SFPD officers, the Fourth Street line was relatively unattended. While baristas from a certain ubiquitous coffee-shop chain handed out free samples, dozens of newcomers armed with lawn chairs, laptops, and PSPs glommed onto the back of the Fourth Street line. By 8:30 a.m., the queue had snaked around the corner onto Howard Street, passing the pedestrian overpass to the Moscone Convention Center.

Despite the deteriorating sense of order, a Sony rep on-hand said that everyone in line--which was pushing 1,000 by 8:45 a.m.--was still guaranteed a PS3. However, if the crowd's size continues to increase at the same rate it had this morning, that could swiftly change. However, as of press time, an SFPD rep could not comment on specific crowd-control plans, saying only that officers would be dispatched should the Sony Style store--or any other retailer--call for backup.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:56 PM   #661
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
On the Opie and Anthony show (I know, it's a crapfest, but I jsut didn't turn my radio off) they were reporting drive-by shootings with BB Guns at people in line.

Here's the article. It was reported because one of the reporters who was there covering the release was actually one of the people shot.......

http://www.wkyt.com/news/headlines/4661551.html
Old 11-16-2006, 01:57 PM   #662
KevinNU7
College Starter

This is stupid. Hand out ticekts with numbers. Tell them to come back at a certain time to pick up their console. When you run out tell them "sorry number 0798 we ran out at 750."
Old 11-16-2006, 02:08 PM   #663
saldana
Pro Starter

right now, it is torrentially pouring and there is a tornado watch in effect where i live....i am essentially laughing my ass off at the people that have been camped outside of circuit city, best buy, walmart, target, etc since some time yesterday, and are now getting drenched and freezing their balls off.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:18 PM   #664
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7 View Post
This is stupid. Hand out ticekts with numbers. Tell them to come back at a certain time to pick up their console. When you run out tell them "sorry number 0798 we ran out at 750."

That would be the smart thing to do. Unfortunately, it appears the game companies love this type of publicity so, anything short of someone being killed is good for them...
Old 11-16-2006, 04:39 PM   #665
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I'm leisurely walking into EB Games tomorrow and picking mine up.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:47 PM   #666
SackAttack
Head Coach

Wear your Kevlar.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:21 PM   #667
Raiders Army
Coordinator

My wife's going to be waiting in the car for me to walk (errr.....run) out of the mall.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:30 PM   #668
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Have you guys looked on Ebay? There are auctions that are over $3000. I mean, that's just insane.

What, does it come with a Blu-Ray preview of the Beyonce/Longoria movie?
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:26 PM   #669
oykib
College Starter

There's a place down the block from where I work that's got used PS3s already available at a 25% markup on the sticker price.

Not interested in dropping that much dough myself, though.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:39 PM   #670
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

With PlayStation 3 systems fetching thousands of dollars on eBay and gamers across the country lining up to purchase Sony's $500 and $600 consoles, some unscrupulous people are seeing the launch as a quick way to make a buck at someone else's expense.

The Sacremento Bee is reporting that "at least four" PS3 systems were stolen along with several Xbox 360s from an Elk Grove, California, GameStop by a pair of armed men Thursday morning. Elk Grove police responded by notifying local retailers and nearby police departments of the theft, and advising those lining up for the system not to do so alone, and not to bring cash.

Meanwhile, Eugene, Oregon's KMTR News is reporting that three men who had been camped out in front of a Circuit City waiting for the Friday launch of the PlayStation 3 were robbed early Thursday morning.

According to the station's report, the three had left the line temporarily, and were stopped by a pair of masked men as they passed a nearby Target. The two men led the trio behind the store and mugged them. Police used mall surveillance tapes to retrace the robbers' steps after the crime, and were able to recover some stolen goods, including a wallet.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:59 PM   #671
MikeVic
Head Coach

Has anyone read the book Jennifer Government before? I'm sure we're not far from a company faking a shooting to make it seem like their product is so desired.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:46 AM   #672
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

http://cgi.ebay.com/PLAYSTATION-3-60...QQcmdZViewItem
$5k with 40 minutes to go.. Unreal. I continue to ask my friends why they wouldn't camp out with me.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:53 AM   #673
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It would seem that 5k bid by some asshat with no feedback is totally going to fuck over the original auction poster. It would be much easier to do a 2500 or so Buy It Now requiring immediate payment, or something to that effect. I'd still be scared as hell that someone would be trying to scam when there is this much money involved.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:24 AM   #674
MacroGuru
Coordinator

4000....wow
Old 11-17-2006, 03:13 AM   #675
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

I found this funny.

Former Senator John Edwards Turns to Wal-Mart for PlayStation3
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:19 AM   #676
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
It would seem that 5k bid by some asshat with no feedback is totally going to fuck over the original auction poster. It would be much easier to do a 2500 or so Buy It Now requiring immediate payment, or something to that effect. I'd still be scared as hell that someone would be trying to scam when there is this much money involved.

FYI.....Pretty sure that eBay has specifically stated that Buy It Now auctions are not allowed with PS3's, though that may have only been in effect pre-launch.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:05 PM   #677
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061117/..._shooting_dc_2

HARTFORD, Connecticut (Reuters) - A man was shot early on Friday morning outside a Wal-Mart store in Connecticut while waiting to buy a new Sony Playstation 3, Connecticut State police said.
ADVERTISEMENT

He was one of 15 to 20 people lined up outside the store when confronted by two armed men who demanded money at around 3:15 a.m., Lt. J. Paul Vance said in a press release.

Police said the victim had confronted the armed suspects and was shot. He was treated at the scene and transported to the University of Massachusetts Medical Center across the state line.

Police were searching for the two suspects.

Gamers were lined up by the thousands across the United States and Canada early on Friday, aiming to be among the first in North America to buy Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news).'s (6758.T) PlayStation 3, the coveted multimedia and video game machine considered key to the future of the beleaguered electronics and media conglomerate.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:11 PM   #678
weegeebored
High School Varsity

This is so outrageous I cannot even comment.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/11/17/ps3_ebay_sales/

The world has truly gone mad. (Ok, so I lied about the comment.)
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:15 PM   #679
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm shocked, but those do appear to be legit bids. The huge numbers when done with someone with 0 feedback are most likely not.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:51 PM   #680
Galaxy
Coordinator

Man, thousands of dollars for a gaming system that has a limited PS3 library and costs nearly double the other two systems? That's insane.

If you wait a little while, you can have the same system at retail. Plus, doesn't it usually take a year or so for games to really start to take advantage of the full potential of the system?

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-17-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:52 PM   #681
Tigercat
College Starter

God, for the money that is being thrown around, take a few week exotic vacation instead, and come back and get a PS3 with the money you have left. Because if there is nowhere on this earth you would rather visit for thousands of dollars rather than your couch, something is seriously wrong. (And I say that as a known couch potato.)
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:57 PM   #682
Galaxy
Coordinator

If you think that's insane, check this auction out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Atari-Atlantis-I...ayphotohosting
Old 11-17-2006, 12:58 PM   #683
larrymcg421
Head Coach

My girlfriend got in line at 7pm Wednesday night. They were giving away 6 systems and 6 rain checks, and she was 7th for the 1st raincheck. I took over for her when I got off work at 2am and waited until 10pm when they handed out our raincheck.

It was very orderly at this Walmart. They put out 12 chairs, and if you were in a chair, you were guaranteed a system/raincheck. Once the chairs were filled up, they turned everyone away.

We were all very friendly and people were allowed to leave briefly to go to the bathroom or get something to eat, and their chairs were protected.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 11-17-2006 at 01:00 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:03 PM   #684
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
This is so outrageous I cannot even comment.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/11/17/ps3_ebay_sales/

The world has truly gone mad. (Ok, so I lied about the comment.)

People are idiots.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:05 PM   #685
Galaxy
Coordinator

Is the PS3 that much better than the 360?

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-17-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:10 PM   #686
KWhit
Coordinator

No.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:10 PM   #687
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Man, thousands of dollars for a gaming system that has a limited PS3 library and costs nearly double the other two systems? That's insane.

If you wait a little while, you can have the same system at retail. Plus, doesn't it usually take a year or so for games to really start to take advantage of the full potential of the system?

Plus, after a year or two, they usually work out hardware issues. I hear these things run really hot right now.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:18 PM   #688
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Plus, after a year or two, they usually work out hardware issues. I hear these things run really hot right now.

That's simply not true. It has been reported by numerous gaming sites after receiving their unit that the fan noise is very minimal and that the system is cool to the touch with the large built-in heat sink handing the heat generated by the system very well.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:18 PM   #689
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
My wife's going to be waiting in the car for me to walk (errr.....run) out of the mall.

I hope it went well for you.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:34 PM   #690
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Can someone throw up some review scores from the launch titles? Video game review sites are blocked and I'm curious generally which games are getting the best reviews out of the launch titles.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:39 PM   #691
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
That's simply not true. It has been reported by numerous gaming sites after receiving their unit that the fan noise is very minimal and that the system is cool to the touch with the large built-in heat sink handing the heat generated by the system very well.

Just reporting what I've read over at IGN forums, sir.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:41 PM   #692
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Can someone throw up some review scores from the launch titles? Video game review sites are blocked and I'm curious generally which games are getting the best reviews out of the launch titles.

Here are IGN's scores:

Code:
Resistance: Fall of Man Shooter 9.1 NHL 2K7 Sports 8.6 Madden NFL 07 Sports 8.3 Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 Sports 8.3 Ridge Racer 7 Racing 8.2 Need for Speed Carbon Racing 7.9 Marvel: Ultimate Alliance Action RPG 7.9 NBA '07 Sports 7.8 Tony Hawk's Project 8 Sports 7.0 Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom Action RPG 6.5 Genji: Days of the Blade Action 6.0

Last edited by Kodos : 11-17-2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:44 PM   #693
Kodos
Resident Alien

For Madden fans, they said it is pretty much the 360 version, maybe slightly prettier.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:46 PM   #694
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Just reporting what I've read over at IGN forums, sir.

I had mine on for a couple hours early this morning without any heat problems whatsoever.

NBA 2K7 was the only game I got to play.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 11-17-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:46 PM   #695
sabotai
General Manager

Here are some of Gamespot's numbers

Resistance: Fall Of Man - 8.6
Call Of Duty 3 - 8.2
Genji: Days Of The Blade - 6.9
NBA 07 - 4.9
Tony Hawk Project 8 - 7.3
Tiger Wood's PGA Tour - 8.2
NHL 2K7 - 8.3
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:48 PM   #696
stevew
Hall Of Famer

From Gamestop.

Quote:
We will have an extremely limited supply of 20GB PlayStation 3 console bundles for preorder on our site Friday evening, November 17th. We expect these bundles to ship on or before December 1st.

We will not offer 60GB PlayStation 3 console bundles until our store pre-orders have been filled, but check back soon for future preorder opportunities.

If you pre-ordered a PlayStation 3 in-store and have not received a call regarding availability, please contact your local store for more information. We expect to fulfill the majority of store pre-orders at launch and thereafter anticipate periodic shipments from Sony.

Each bundle will include an extra wireless controller, six games, a one-year product replacement plan, a 12 month subscription to Game Informer and a Resistance: Fall of Man guide. The price will be $994.28 plus tax and handling. We expect these bundles to ship on or before December 1
Old 11-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #697
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Thanks for the scores. I had already picked up NBA 2K7 earlier in the week and played it this morning. Solid game. I was going to pick up Resistance on the way home and wondered what else was reviewing well. I'll probably get NHL 2K7 after awhile when I can find it on sale or used as it appears it's getting good reviews. The NBA and Resistance should keep me busy.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:51 PM   #698
Kodos
Resident Alien

Wow. Being an early adopter is a quick trip to getting screwed over.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:56 PM   #699
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Wow. Being an early adopter is a quick trip to getting screwed over.

I bought the PS2 on launch day and still have that same machine. I got the PS3 today with the one year replacement plan. If it bombs out, I get a new one. Not sure why you consider it a risk. If there is a problem, it's a minor inconvinence, but certainly no money out of my pocket. The step up in graphics is amazing. NBA 2K7 in 1080p on my 65" TV is eye candy of the highest magnitude (insert geek jokes here).
Old 11-17-2006, 01:58 PM   #700
Kodos
Resident Alien

I was referring to the GameStop quote above your post.