Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-24-2006, 09:17 PM   #651
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Good for Seattle. The league needs to address those clause-loopholes ASAP.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:12 AM   #652
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Packers | B. Cundiff agrees to terms
Fri, 24 Mar 2006 21:45:27 -0800
Bob McGinn, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports the Green Bay Packers have agreed to terms with free agent PK Billy Cundiff (Buccaneers) on an undisclosed contract.

Billy Cundiff? Hahahahaha!

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:17 AM   #653
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Bob McGinn, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports the Green Bay Packers have agreed to terms with free agent PK Billy Cundiff (Buccaneers) on an undisclosed contract.

Word is that the Packers are far from settled on Cundiff as their kicker - TT is still looking at others, and are considering Edinger.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:00 AM   #654
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/14174689.htm

Quote:
The NFL owners will begin the task of assembling a list of replacement candidates for the commissioner's job Monday when the league holds its annual meeting at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress resort in Orlando, Fla.

While the owners are expected to focus most of their search on candidates from within the league, such as chief operating officer Roger Goodell, chief administrative officer Jeff Pash, Atlanta Falcons president Rich McKay and Baltimore Ravens president Dick Cass, league sources say an intriguing candidate from the outside has surfaced who could get fairly serious consideration. And no, it's not Condoleeza Rice.

It's former Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Reggie Williams. Williams, 51, is the vice president of planning and new development for Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex, which is just a stone's throw away from where the owners will be meeting next week.

Williams, who spent 14 years as a player in the league before retiring in 1989, has the kind of broad appeal that makes him attractive to the league as a candidate to succeed outgoing Paul Tagliabue.

The Dartmouth grad has done an outstanding job building and operating Disney's 200-acre sports complex. His background as a player is appealing to those who feel the league needs a football guy at the top this time, rather than another lawyer.

And, last but not least, he's a minority.

"That will be one of the key things as we go forward with this search," Tagliabue said last week after announcing that he was stepping down after 17 years as league czar. "It's certainly uppermost in our minds that we need to do with this search what the diversity committee has been urging the clubs to do with coaches and front-office executives."
Old 03-25-2006, 12:19 PM   #655
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

*chortle*

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:28 PM   #656
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I like this signing.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 12:57 AM   #657
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

It looks like Eric Moulds will be going to Houston as the Texans have come to terms on a contract but a trade with the Bills still needs to be worked out. It will be a good move as the Texans needed someone to help out Andre Johnson.

Mel Kiper's newest mock has the Cowboys selecting Jason Allen out of Tennessee. He is a corner who can play free safety, which is a need for the Cowboys. I'm hesitant in seeing the Cowboys select another corner from Tennessee with injury concerns.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:51 AM   #658
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
I'm hesitant in seeing the Cowboys select another corner from Tennessee with injury concerns.
I don't think Goodrich had injury concerns, nor Dave Thomas. Goodrich has prison concerns, but that's a different matter all together.

I can't think of a corner from Tennessee other than Allen that has had an injury concern leaving school.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:11 AM   #659
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
I don't think Goodrich had injury concerns, nor Dave Thomas. Goodrich has prison concerns, but that's a different matter all together.

I can't think of a corner from Tennessee other than Allen that has had an injury concern leaving school.

Are you sure about that? I seem to remember Goodrich being hyped as a first round pick and then got injured (back?) before/early in the season and then struggled when he returned to the field. He was then considered a reach by the Cowboys when the took him with their 2nd rounder.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:34 AM   #660
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I really like Cincinnati's offseason moves so far, as they are about to sign Sam Adams, and they have released Kim Herring and Duane Clemons, who were both eating up cap and looked to be out of playing time (at least in Herrings case).

Now if they draft Pope and re-sign Jones and Steinbach, I think they'll be well on their way to challenging for a spot in the big dance next season and for seasons to come.

I would really like to see how much improvement Odell Thurman shows this season and hopefully have a healthy Madieu Williams all year.. Should be a big help to the defense, maybe push them into the top 10.

But, as a Bengal fan, I am also reserved, knowing that there could be hell waiting around the corner if Palmer gets hurt again. Just seems to be the way it goes for us.

Optimism=high.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 08:40 AM   #661
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols

But, as a Bengal fan, I am also reserved, knowing that there could be hell waiting around the corner if Palmer gets hurt again. Just seems to be the way it goes for us.

Optimism=high.

That's why you need to convince your ownership and team management that, above all other things, it's necessary for the Bengals to have a solid back-up quarterback. And we all know who the best QB still out there is... John Joseph Harrington. Start a campaign. Force the Bengals to trade for Harrington, preferably for a 3rd round pick, though a 4th will do. You can never be too safe.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-03-2006, 06:53 AM   #662
miami_fan
Coordinator

Bush, Justice shine at USC pro scout workout

Looks like the Dolphins will have no shot at getting Justice. We are left with Eric Winston. I am still not convince that he is a true LT.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=2394532

LOS ANGELES -- Scheduled to be the guest of honor at Petco Park on Monday, Reggie Bush strongly hinted that the first pitch of the San Diego Padres' 2006 season will be a curveball.

AP Photo/Ric Francis
Reggie Bush's 40-yard sprint was timed at about 4.37 seconds.

An interesting choice by the Southern California tailback and Heisman Trophy winner, since he delivered nothing but fastballs during the Trojans' "pro day" workouts Sunday afternoon, a session in which Bush clearly cemented his status as the first overall selection by the Houston Texans in the April 29 draft.

Working in front of about 150 scouts and personnel officials, a group that included four head coaches and several general managers, Bush was surgically proficient in every drill in which he participated. He posted an eye-opening 40˝-inch vertical jump, performed a very solid 24 repetitions on the standard 225-pound bench press, and was clocked in the 40-yard sprint in 4.37-4.41 seconds, according to a few scouts. The electronic times for Bush were a little quicker, in the 4.33-4.37 range.

In the on-field drills, Bush demonstrated burst out of the backfield. And while there weren't as many balls directed to him as he had hoped during Matt Leinart's throwing session, he caught the ball well.

"Probably not the absolute perfect day that everybody wants to have at one of these things," Bush told ESPN.com after the nearly four hours of drills. "But I felt good. I feel like I came in here today as the No. 1 guy, and I think I'm leaving the same way. So, in that sense, it's pretty satisfying. Now I can kick back and go to the beach for a few days. For me, well, I think I'm walking out of here a winner for the day."

Probably not the biggest winner, though, since Bush's draft status wasn't going to change at all based on Sunday's audition. Unless, of course, he fell on his face in every drill.

Looking for winners? Well, try these two, for openers: The USC machine, already one of the premier football programs in the country, came out looking good. Coach Pete Carroll had 200 potential recruits on campus for the weekend, and the presence of so many NFL scouts certainly didn't hurt him when he delivered his sales pitch to possible future Trojans stars. And the Southern California offensive linemen who are draft eligible, in particular tackle Winston Justice, obviously enhanced their stock.

"Pete said that he was going to do his 'pro day' bigger and better than anyone has ever done it, and he succeeded in that," acknowledged Houston general manager Charley Casserly. "More and more schools are starting to use this kind of event as a recruiting tool and, if you're a kid considering coming here, how could you not help but be impressed by this?"

Carolina Panthers coach John Fox termed the scene "a spectacle," and that captures the essence of the buzz that was created on campus, with 1,500-2,000 fans on hand, cheering on the players. Some personnel men did feel the overall scene -- one called it "a zoo" -- was over the top and distracting to players and scouts. By nature, scouts want more control and a sterile environment when auditioning players.

As for the on-field spectaculars, Justice, who still must resolve some old character issues for scouts before the draft, was the player who inarguably helped himself the most. He checked in at 6-foot-6Ľ and 320 pounds, carried his weight well, and performed admirably in every drill.

In the vertical jump, Justice did 39 inches, an incredible mark for such a big man. He registered 38 "repetitions" in the bench press. Justice pulled up toward the end of the 40-yard drill, clutching his right hamstring, but one AFC scout still said he clocked him at 5.03 seconds.

In the pass-block drills, Justice, who has the kind of wing span scouts love (34˝ inches) in pass protectors, looked very agile and naturally athletic, despite the sore hamstring.

"Happy with what I did and happy it's over," said Justice, who missed time during his career because of two off-field incidents, one of which included pulling a pellet gun on a USC student. "We'll just have to see where it goes from here."

Where the talented Justice could be going, according to coaches and scouts, is perhaps into the top 10 in the draft. Fox noted that there are teams that like Justice a little better than they do D'Brickashaw Ferguson of Virginia, the consensus No. 1 tackle in the draft pool.

"On tape, he's a player, a first-rounder," Fox said. "And that's ultimately what you're looking at when you make the final evaluation. But, yeah, Justice sure jumped out today. He could climb higher [in the first round] now, no doubt."

Two other offensive linemen, guards Taitusi Lutui and Fred Matua, were also impressive. Lutui looks like a prototype NFL guard, thick and girthy, at 330 pounds, and naturally powerful. Matua, the lesser-celebrated of the two, was 301 pounds Sunday but performed as many "reps" on the bench press as did Lutui (26) and ran considerably faster (5.06-5.33) in the 40.

As for Leinart? He displayed some athleticism by turning in a 37-inch vertical jump. He completed 36 of 45 passes by unofficial count, with three drops by his receivers. His accuracy was good, not great, and his arm strength was adequate. It appeared, at times, that he aimed the ball a bit too much and some balls sailed on him. Leinart conceded afterwards that he probably pressed a little.

"In situations like these," Leinart said, "I think you tend to overdo it. You know, you try to throw a ball too hard, and it goes high, or you try to be too fine with your passes. I think I started off too tight."

Not as tight as LenDale White, the other half of the USC tailback tandem, and the man who holds the school record for touchdowns. Still nursing a sore hamstring he said he sustained at the combine sessions in Indianapolis nearly six weeks ago, White looked soft and performed only in the bench press drill, where he eked out just 15 lifts. He rarely removed his track suit and, when he did, White looked soft. He weighed in at 244 pounds, six pounds heavier than he was at the combine.

White didn't seem concerned about not being able to work out. "I'm the only true big back in the first round, and people who want the physical runner are going to have to look at me," he said.

Several personnel directors emphasized, though, that time is running out on White, who has yet to be timed in the 40.

"At some point, and real soon, he's got to take off that warm-up suit and run," said one of the head coaches on hand. "No one has a 40-time on him and that's not good."

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:40 AM   #663
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
That's why you need to convince your ownership and team management that, above all other things, it's necessary for the Bengals to have a solid back-up quarterback. And we all know who the best QB still out there is... John Joseph Harrington. Start a campaign. Force the Bengals to trade for Harrington, preferably for a 3rd round pick, though a 4th will do. You can never be too safe.

I actually think, for the price Harrington would cost, it is not worth it. He is likely to be looking for an audition position, but word is he is asking around 3 million, plus if a team was to trade for him, as you said.. Wait.. I smell something.

Forgot you were a Lions fan and this is most likely sarcasm. No, I can see it dripping off the screen now, all over my desk.

So putrid..

Anyway, I guess when Detroit finally releases him, someone will sign him.. I do have to admit that if he stepped in, we would likely have a few injuries in the receiving corps as well, and then.. Well, we'd be drafting a receiver in '07.

I think Detroit did themselves a favor signing McCown. He pretty much threw the ball all over the field last year when he played, especially the last 2 games. Yeah, he threw a few picks, but I see him as a guy with serious potential considering his stat line with absolutely no running game supporting him.

McCown- 163-270 (60.4%) 1836 yards, 9 td, 11 int, 6.8 ypa.

He also has excellent mobility. My prediction is that as soon as he supplants Kitna, you'll be watching him put up at least decent numbers and the receivers (all 48 of them) will stay healthy for a change.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #664
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I was just about to post an article about USC's event. Very smart of Pete to combine Junior Day recruiting with the pro day. The article I read talked about Bush wowing people with moves and running a 4.33 in the 40.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:40 PM   #665
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Wait.. I smell something.

Forgot you were a Lions fan and this is most likely sarcasm. No, I can see it dripping off the screen now, all over my desk.

So putrid..

You are correct, sir!

Quote:
Anyway, I guess when Detroit finally releases him, someone will sign him.. I do have to admit that if he stepped in, we would likely have a few injuries in the receiving corps as well, and then.. Well, we'd be drafting a receiver in '07.

I would advise that you draft a WR in the first round in '06, not '07. Joey is really on comfortable if there is a rookie, first round receiver on the team each and ever season... Or so Millen seemed to think.

Quote:
I think Detroit did themselves a favor signing McCown. He pretty much threw the ball all over the field last year when he played, especially the last 2 games. Yeah, he threw a few picks, but I see him as a guy with serious potential considering his stat line with absolutely no running game supporting him.

McCown- 163-270 (60.4%) 1836 yards, 9 td, 11 int, 6.8 ypa.

He also has excellent mobility. My prediction is that as soon as he supplants Kitna, you'll be watching him put up at least decent numbers and the receivers (all 48 of them) will stay healthy for a change.

I certainly hope you're right! I have high hopes for McCown down the road too. Given that the Lions have spent their last three first round picks on WRs, their receiving corps is f*cking abysmal. It's shameful. Kevin Johnson was the team's leading receiver until he went down with the achilles injury last year. Roy Williams has flashes of greatness, but can't concentrate on the easy stuff and he's fragile. Charles Rogers borrowed his collar bone from Samuel L. Jackson "Unbreakable", likes to smoke doobies, and has an attitude problem. Mike Williams is fat, lazy, and has an attitude problem. Corey Bradford is a one dimensional receiver. Scottie Vines for MVP!
Old 04-03-2006, 10:41 PM   #666
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Ruh oh.

NFL | L. White being compared to Clarett
Mon, 3 Apr 2006 18:35:14 -0700
Jason Cole, writing for NBCSports.com, reports USC RB LenDale White is being mentioned in the same company as free agent RB Maurice Clarett. An NFL exeutive said, "We had one of our scouts go up and ask him what was going on (after White didn't run). The kid said his hamstring was tight or something like that. Then we tried to find out when he was going to run and he didn't know. It didn't even sound like he was going to run. What does this kid think?" A former USC offensive player who once was a teammate of White's said, "The guy can play, but he just gets by. He coasted in practice and he coasted in the offseason. He came in thinking he just had to put in his time and that's what you see now." The teammate added that the things White was able to do was because he played next to RB Reggie Bush and the other guys around him. He added that White would be amazing if he really worked at it.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:02 AM   #667
RendeR
Coordinator

I love the Sam Adams Signing, even if Adams doesn't play to his pro-bowl ability, he's friggin HUGE in the middle and will allow our very capable and fast ends to do much more, let alone opening better gaps for the linebackers on the blitz. With a healthy LB corps and Madieu Williams back at full speed the additions on Defense really look to have plugged the gaping wounds we had last season. If they play anywhere near their talent level this could be a top 5 defense. But then again this is the Bengals D, I'm not sure they understand its possible to be better than 20th defensively....

JEEBER: Dude...I hate Dallas, but man, you guys are making my year with all these idiot signings....Vander-twat and Terribly Overblown on the same team? with bledsoe tossing those oh-so- innacurate passes to TO?

PRICELESS.

RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 04:33 PM   #668
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Lions have continued their off-season "hit parade" by reeling in WR/S Michael Thomas Furrey to a 1 yr. deal. Wheeee!!!
Old 04-04-2006, 06:05 PM   #669
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
I love the Sam Adams Signing, even if Adams doesn't play to his pro-bowl ability, he's friggin HUGE in the middle and will allow our very capable and fast ends to do much more, let alone opening better gaps for the linebackers on the blitz. With a healthy LB corps and Madieu Williams back at full speed the additions on Defense really look to have plugged the gaping wounds we had last season. If they play anywhere near their talent level this could be a top 5 defense. But then again this is the Bengals D, I'm not sure they understand its possible to be better than 20th defensively....

JEEBER: Dude...I hate Dallas, but man, you guys are making my year with all these idiot signings....Vander-twat and Terribly Overblown on the same team? with bledsoe tossing those oh-so- innacurate passes to TO?

PRICELESS.

Render...there is nothing a Buffalo fan can ever say to a Dallas fan without it just sounding like sour grapes. In any sport.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:19 PM   #670
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Render...there is nothing a Buffalo fan can ever say to a Dallas fan without it just sounding like sour grapes. In any sport.

His skate was totally in the crease...
Old 04-04-2006, 10:03 PM   #671
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Merry Christmas!

Cowboys | Team to visit Philadelphia for Christmas?
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 19:12:26 -0700
Comcast SportsNet in Philadelphia reports the Dallas Cowboys will visit the Philadelphia Eagles on Christmas, 2006. It will be a Monday night game.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:59 PM   #672
JeeberD
General Manager

TO can blow me, but I love getting Vanderjagt. Finally, I good kicker. If we had him last year we would have won at least three more games than we did...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:59 AM   #673
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The NFL is putting in a flexible schedule for Sunday night games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2397614

Quote:
Wednesday, April 5, 2006
Flexible NFL could create better Sunday match-ups

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- The NFL has its plan for eliminating those not-ready-for-prime-time matchups that too often sneaked onto national television.

The league plans to hold off scheduling Sunday night games in seven of the final eight weeks -- just as playoff races start heating up -- to ensure the best games are played on NBC. The league has long wanted some kind of flexible scheduling, but could never implement one until now.

For Weeks 10-15 and Week 17, the final regular-season weekend, all Sunday games will be listed with start times of 1 p.m. or 4:05-4:15 p.m. EST.

The league must then announce which match will be played Sunday night at least 12 days before the date of the game.

The lone exception is the season finale on Dec. 31, when the switch must be made no later than six days before the game.

Only Sunday games are subject to the flexible schedule that is part of the NFL's $3.6 billion contract with NBC for the Sunday night package.

CBS, which does the AFC games, and Fox, which does the NFC, each has the option to protect five games in the seven weeks of flexible scheduling, but neither can protect more than one game per week. So if Indianapolis is playing Pittsburgh in a late-season game and CBS does not want it moved to Sunday night on NBC, it has an option to keep the game.

Week 16 is Christmas weekend, and no game will be switched.

Teams will be told by the NFL office as soon as they are not under consideration to have a game moved. And, unlike in the past, teams are allowed to play in consecutive Sunday night games.

To make the system more flexible, up to three teams each season will be allowed a bonus sixth prime-time appearance. All the others will be limited to a maximum of five, including the Monday night ESPN package and the late-season Saturday or Thursday games on NFL Network.

The NFL often has moved games from early afternoon to late afternoon on Sundays to get a top matchup in a better viewing slot. It did so eight times in 2005. That flexibility remains.

In recent seasons, the league has faced lower prime-time ratings because of poor late-season matchups. It also has seen surprisingly successful teams shut out of prime time because the entire schedule is released in April.

Here's to hoping it works out. You can schedule what look to be good matchups but the game could still be lopsided.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:04 AM   #674
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
The NFL is putting in a flexible schedule for Sunday night games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2397614

Here's to hoping it works out. You can schedule what look to be good matchups but the game could still be lopsided.

Ugh. I suppose that this will give the media even more incentive to beat manufactured storylines into the ground--now that they know that they can see those storylines play out in primetime.

And I can't wait for the first player to claim that his team is disrespected because they were not chosen for the Sunday Night game.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:18 AM   #675
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The Lions have continued their off-season "hit parade" by reeling in WR/S Michael Thomas Furrey to a 1 yr. deal. Wheeee!!!

I am now officially relieved that I renewed my season tickets.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:57 PM   #676
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71

And where do you see a Buffalo fan around here? HRM???

I Bleed ORANGE AND BLACK BABY.

Go Bengals!

Oh and his foot was SO in the crease
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:38 PM   #677
Daimyo
College Starter

The latest ESPN mock draft has Vince Young going to Detroit. That can't be a good fit for a team with that much invested in deep threat WR... unless of course Millen plans to use him at WR.

Last edited by Daimyo : 04-05-2006 at 03:38 PM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:39 PM   #678
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
The latest ESPN mock draft has Vince Young going to Detroit. That can't be a good fit for a team with that much invested in deep threat WR... unless of course Millen plans to use him at WR.

care to post it? i assume it's insider only

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:45 PM   #679
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Kiper has the Lions taking Huff. Foxsports.com (which is free) has the Lions taking Young. This draft makes me nervous. Depending on how things shake down, the Lions could be sitting at #9 with two QBs still on the board (Cutler/Young). If so, I hope they trade down. While either of those two would likely be an upgrade, the Lions just signed two free agent QBs and have far, far, far too many holes to address on defense (LB, S, DE) and offensive line (G, RT) to be drafting a QB for the future.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:51 PM   #680
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
care to post it? i assume it's insider only
Whoops... I meant FoxSports.com. I completely switched over a while back, but I guess my brain hasn't entirely caught up to that.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5469406
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:20 AM   #681
JS19
College Prospect

Anyone know whats going on with Arrington?? He seems to be falling off the face of the earth. I remember a long time ago it was mentioned the Giants were interested. I would love to see the G-Men pick him up. Anyone heard anything about him?
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:21 AM   #682
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The latest I've heard is that he's been talking with the G-Men and Dolphins, but that his asking price is still too high.

Here's more:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...s/14305842.htm

Agent Kevin Poston said Sunday the Dolphins remain a player in talks for three-time Pro Bowl linebacker LaVar Arrington.

However, Poston indicated the Dolphins have not come close to matching a proposal he has asked for and that teams such as Jacksonville, Cincinnati and the New York Giants remain in the running.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 04-10-2006 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:45 AM   #683
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Kiper has the Lions taking Huff. Foxsports.com (which is free) has the Lions taking Young. This draft makes me nervous. Depending on how things shake down, the Lions could be sitting at #9 with two QBs still on the board (Cutler/Young). If so, I hope they trade down. While either of those two would likely be an upgrade, the Lions just signed two free agent QBs and have far, far, far too many holes to address on defense (LB, S, DE) and offensive line (G, RT) to be drafting a QB for the future.

I really, really, really hope they don't take a QB, especially Young. But I feel pretty confident they'll take the best WR...sorry, force of habit...defensive player on the board, or try to trade down.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:19 AM   #684
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
I really, really, really hope they don't take a QB, especially Young. But I feel pretty confident they'll take the best WR...sorry, force of habit...defensive player on the board, or try to trade down.

This is my feeling as well. If Huff, Williams, and Hawk are all gone by #9, they eitther trade down or take the best defensive player on the board. Even if they trade down, it should be to take the best defensive player on the board at that slot. If one of the 3 QBs are available, they may have a trading partner interest in leaping ahead of Arizona.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:32 AM   #685
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
This is my feeling as well. If Huff, Williams, and Hawk are all gone by #9, they eitther trade down or take the best defensive player on the board. Even if they trade down, it should be to take the best defensive player on the board at that slot. If one of the 3 QBs are available, they may have a trading partner interest in leaping ahead of Arizona.

I've been hearing Arizona would actually be interested in trading up, but anything like that would work there.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:52 PM   #686
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Actually, if I were the Lions' GM and one of those QB's were available for the pick, I would take them in a heartbeat exactly for the reasons mentioned above. The Lions have more holes than they're going to fill in one or two drafts / offseasons, which means grab the QB now, let the unspectacular veteran QB's play this year while the young guy gets groomed, then turn him loose in year two or three, by which time they can address a few more of their holes. I can understand how the Harrington thing would make them gun shy about taking a QB, but nothing would turn their franchise around faster than hitting on one.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:37 AM   #687
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
but nothing would turn their franchise around faster than hitting on one.

And if they draft another bust, its another 4-5 year cycle wasted.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:38 AM   #688
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

There's no need for anyone to trade ahead of Arizona to get one of those quarterbacks. Green will not take a quarterback. He's coaching for his job right now and Young and Cutler would not help him win any games this year. I'm starting to think (and hope) that Cutler could slip to the Vikings at 17.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:00 PM   #689
Thomkal
Head Coach

I tend to think my beloved Cards won't draft a QB either with their first rounder. I think the resigning of Warner for 3 years was a pretty strong signal there. I had thought they would go RB but then they took care of that. So the likely move would be to take a offensive or defensive lineman. Denny Green could be enamored with Young though, so who knows?
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:34 PM   #690
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal
Denny Green could be enamored with Young though, so who knows?

There's that to consider and you also have to not only worry about whether the Cardinals may pick a QB, but who they might be willing to trade down with if one of the QBs are still there. Despite his many idiocies (and they are legion), Millen has shown he's willing to be a bit of a mover and shaker come draft day. In 2003, he pulled that great deal off on Cleveland to grab an extra second round pick for moving down on spot and then parlayed that pick and some others to move up and grab Kevin Jones.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:41 AM   #691
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

You don't get many player for player deals but the Niners cut bait with Rashaun Woods and sent him to San Diego for CB Sammy Davis.

I can't believe how ineffective Woods has been in the NFL.

Fire Ron Lee.

Last edited by TazFTW : 04-13-2006 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:07 AM   #692
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
You don't get many player for player deals but the Niners cut bait with Rashaun Woods and sent him to San Diego for CB Sammy Davis.

I can't believe how ineffective Woods has been in the NFL.

I really like this trade for the Niner's.

My dream is that the Niner's trade down with the Broncos (to get the 15th and 22nd picks), and take WR Santonio Holmes and another player.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:27 PM   #693
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold
I really like this trade for the Niner's.

My dream is that the Niner's trade down with the Broncos (to get the 15th and 22nd picks), and take WR Santonio Holmes and another player.

I'd rather they stand pat. With the lack of WR talent, they could get the 2nd or 3rd best receiver with the early 2nd rounder. I'm pretty sure they're gonna end up going with Vernon Davis in the 1st, and then an OLB in the 2nd.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:45 PM   #694
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

One of my favorite things to do this time of year is go to various team message boards and read the deluded pie-in-the-sky draft secenarios they come up with to help their team.

They always involve trading marginal players for way over market value and ending up with bushels of picks.

Like a Raiders fan saying "Houston needs help on the O-Line. And I don't think that the new coach is sold on David Carr, and they won't want to wait for a rookie to develop, so we should trade them Tuiasosopo and [some random backup offensive lineman] and our first rounder for the #1 overall pick. Then we draft Reggie Bush. Then, we trade [some random scrub worth no more than a 6th round pick] and our second round pick to Green Bay for the #5 overall and use that to pick up Williams, Hawk, or D'Brick. That way, we come out of the draft with the best player and another impact player."

Of course, not picking on Raiders fans. There are 32 sets of fans across the league doing this thing right now.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:51 PM   #695
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Breaking news from the Onion:

Packers To Favre: 'Take Your Time, Asshole'

April 13, 2006 | Onion Sports

ASHWAUBENON, WI—Green Bay Packers front-office officials have informed three-time MVP Brett Favre they can wait for his decision on whether or not he's planning to retire for "as long as it fucking takes." "This is a big decision for Brett Favre, and we can't deny that he's the heart and soul of our team, the most important Packer, the most important person in all of America, and the center of the whole entire universe," Packer general manager Ted Thompson said Tuesday. "It's not like we have to make any major decisions that all hinge on whether or not he's returning, after all. We'll just ride around on our lawn tractors on our farm in Mississippi while we wait for him to make up his goddamn mind." Favre would not say when he might announce his decision, admitting that he was "too much in awe of what Mr. Brilliant Genius Thompson did with the 4-12 Packers last year" to commit one way or the other.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:57 PM   #696
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Old 04-13-2006, 04:59 PM   #697
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
Breaking news from the Onion:

Packers To Favre: 'Take Your Time, Asshole'

April 13, 2006 | Onion Sports

ASHWAUBENON, WI—Green Bay Packers front-office officials have informed three-time MVP Brett Favre they can wait for his decision on whether or not he's planning to retire for "as long as it fucking takes." "This is a big decision for Brett Favre, and we can't deny that he's the heart and soul of our team, the most important Packer, the most important person in all of America, and the center of the whole entire universe," Packer general manager Ted Thompson said Tuesday. "It's not like we have to make any major decisions that all hinge on whether or not he's returning, after all. We'll just ride around on our lawn tractors on our farm in Mississippi while we wait for him to make up his goddamn mind." Favre would not say when he might announce his decision, admitting that he was "too much in awe of what Mr. Brilliant Genius Thompson did with the 4-12 Packers last year" to commit one way or the other.

Good work fella
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:36 PM   #698
miami_fan
Coordinator

John Clayton is now reporting that LenDale White has a tear in his hamstring that might require surgery.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:28 PM   #699
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
John Clayton is now reporting that LenDale White has a tear in his hamstring that might require surgery.

Must have been injured on his rush to the buffet line.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:40 PM   #700
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
Ouch. That hamstring injury is going to cost him a lot of money in lowered draft status.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote