Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-08-2006, 04:21 PM   #651
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah, we'll basically have to give Hinske away. I think his bat gets going early, we should get rid of that contract. There is no way he could ever make up for the value of it and someone would bite, especially if he proves he can at least stand in leftfield without being useless.

I think JP might be able to package him with a pitching prospect later in the year if we need a deadline deal.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:01 PM   #652
Terps
College Prospect

Corey Patterson traded to the O's for Nate Spears and Carlos Perez.

Not a bad deal for the O's, only giving up two minor leaguers who probably won't ever be much of a factor.

I was hoping Nick Markakis would start 2006 in CF, but now he's gotta compete with Patterson and Matos.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:26 AM   #653
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps

Not a bad deal for the O's, only giving up two minor leaguers who probably won't ever be much of a factor.

I was hoping Nick Markakis would start 2006 in CF, but now he's gotta compete with Patterson and Matos.

Very solid gamble on the O's part.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:38 AM   #654
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Very solid gamble on the O's part.

I agree. It's certainly worth it for the Orioles to take the risk, but my guess is Patterson never becomes anything close to what his potential suggested. Whether that is because of his own unwillingness to take direction and work hard or the Cubs rushing him up to the majors and then not handling his struggles very well, I can't say.

It's too bad that's all Chicago could get for him, but I bet he never becomes more than a mediocre player. I think I said the exact opposite a couple of years ago, but after repeatedly watching him fail and refuse to make adjustments, I've changed my mind. Granted, he's young and certainly has the talents, so anything can happen. But I'll predict he doesn't last more than 2 seasons in Baltimore before they either drop him or ship him somewhere else for little to nothing in return.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:43 AM   #655
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps

I agree with st cronin, solid gamble for the O's. Being a Cub fan I don't understand their hurry to move out Patterson with his percieved value at it's lowest point.

Why not hang on to him and see what happens in spring training? After all he'd come in knowing he's not the starter and will have to fight just to have a chance to play. Never know an injury to Jones or Pierre and he gets thrown in and figures things out. Now if you want to move him you at least get something real for him.

I can't say I'm upset that they wanted move him (watching him strikeout on a high fastball is like being a Laker fan and watching Shaq shoot freethrows a couple of years ago) it's just the timing of it that bothers me. We'll be eating shit for years if he turns into Lou Brock with power, not likely but who knows.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:45 AM   #656
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
I agree. It's certainly worth it for the Orioles to take the risk, but my guess is Patterson never becomes anything close to what his potential suggested. Whether that is because of his own unwillingness to take direction and work hard or the Cubs rushing him up to the majors and then not handling his struggles very well, I can't say.

It's too bad that's all Chicago could get for him, but I bet he never becomes more than a mediocre player. I think I said the exact opposite a couple of years ago, but after repeatedly watching him fail and refuse to make adjustments, I've changed my mind. Granted, he's young and certainly has the talents, so anything can happen. But I'll predict he doesn't last more than 2 seasons in Baltimore before they either drop him or ship him somewhere else for little to nothing in return.

I would agree that this is the most likely outcome for Patterson.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:17 PM   #657
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

In the washed out old dude department, the Mariners signed Fernando Vina and Kevin Appier to minor league deals. Todd Hollandsworth popped up in Cleveland. And Eli Marerro signed...somewhere.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:23 AM   #658
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN
LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Dodgers acquired All-Star relievers Danys Baez and Lance Carter from Tampa Bay for two pitching prospects Saturday, strengthening their bullpen as they wait for closer Eric Gagne to return from elbow surgery.

The Dodgers sent right-hander Edwin Jackson and minor league lefty Chuck Tiffany to the Devil Rays in the deal. Los Angeles also gets a minor league player to be named.
Was it time to cut bait and run on Jackson already? For a couple of relievers?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:50 AM   #659
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Was it time to cut bait and run on Jackson already? For a couple of relievers?

SI

They're a couple pretty good relievers. And Baez, although I wouldn't consider him a dominant closer, is at least a solid fill-in for Gagne.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:36 PM   #660
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ok, since there hasn't been much from the past few days, two Royals tidbits from the KCStar that I found amusing:

Quote:
Were the 1999 Royals using steroids?

You’d never have guessed it by their record: The Royals finished a woeful 64-97 that season, 32 1/2 games behind the first-place Cleveland Indians.

But Royals slugger Mike Sweeney said on talk radio Friday and to The Star that he was approached by friends on the team who had “the juice.”

“In 1999, my career was in the crossroads and I was converting from a catcher to a first baseman,” Sweeney said on KCSP’s midmorning show with Tim Grunhard and Doug Franz, “and I had some friends of mine that I played with at the time in KC that said, ‘Look, hey, I picked up the juice. It will help you be stronger, it will give you a better longevity in your career. Do you want to take it?’

“I went to bed that night and I had a sick feeling in my stomach, and I woke up the next morning and I told myself, ‘Look, I’ve never done drugs in my life. I’ve never even taken a puff of marijuana, nothing, no greenies. Why should I start now?’ ”

Sweeney told The Star later Friday that he has never taken steroids.
So, even when the team was cheating, they still suck. Then again, Jeremy Giambi has said he has taken steroids before and he was on the team at the time.

Quote:
Here, over boneless chicken wings (Dennis Leonard, being an old-school guy, fought hard against them), Affeldt tells the story of Kyle Farnsworth. You might remember that Farnsworth, then the closer for the Detroit Tigers, tackled Affeldt during a brawl last year. It was a strange scene — Affeldt says Farnsworth just attacked him. What you might not know is that Farnsworth and Affeldt ran into each other after that game. Affeldt walked into the tunnel he saw Farnsworth walking toward him.

“I’m thinking, ‘Oh man, he’s going to kill me,’ ” Affeldt says. “He’s a big dude. And he’s got these wild eyes. I’m looking around to see if anyone is around. Nobody. It’s just me and him. And I’m like, ‘Yep, he’s going to kill me.’ ”

Instead, Farnsworth walked up beside Affeldt, and the two walked together toward the door. Farnsworth did not say a word. After a while, they ran into Royals player Matt Stairs, once a Farnsworth teammate. Stairs had a huge grin on his face.

“Hey, Kyle,” Stairs said. “Why did you go after Affeldt?”

Farnsworth looked back. “Um, I think I got the wrong guy,” he says.

“Ya think?” Stairs said. Farnsworth looked back again and caught Affeldt’s eyes. No recognition. None. Farnsworth had no idea that Affeldt was the guy he had tackled.

“Yeah, wrong guy I think,” Farnsworth said, and he headed for the bus.
That story makes much more sense now.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-18-2006 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:47 AM   #661
Desnudo
Coordinator

Red Sox to acquire Coco Crisp from Indians in six player swap. Never seen him play, but his name is brilliant.

Crispy
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:52 AM   #662
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wow. I really like this deal for Cleveland. That's some quality young talent they just got for a couple of pretty good but unspectacular youngsters.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-23-2006 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:31 AM   #663
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

allow me to go on record as hating the coco crisp deal. gah. i'd much rather we kept marte and deal lowel for a darrin erstad/steve finley type. Crisp has never really impressed me personally and his numbers aren't anything to get excited about. not that marte has proven himself against ML level pitching, but in my mind Crisp isn't a gigantic upgrade over what you could get out of a lower-tier FA.

and we're still stuck with 2 2b and 7 possible starting pitchers. WTF
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:31 AM   #664
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I would have taken Jeremy Reed over Crisp, but I'm surprised the Sox dealt Marte without getting someone even more significant in return. I know he's not as ready for the Bigs as Hanley Ramirez is, but Marte is considered a top 5 MLB prospect by many teams and Ramirez was the centerpiece of a deal that brought a top, young starting pitcher to Boston. You'd think Marte would be worth something more than Fruity Pebbles.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:57 AM   #665
samifan24
Pro Starter

As an Indians fan, I love the Crisp deal. Shapiro is selling high on a guy that will likely never significantly improve his power numbers from last season. Coco is a good defensive outfielder (best defensive LF in the AL according to Hardball Times, IIRC) and he'll hit and swipe bags but I'm more than happy to part with him to get Marte and Mota.

Losing Riske hurts...he's a good setup man but Mota should fill that role (if he isn't sent to Philly for Michaels). Bard is a decent backup but barely got any ABs last season behind Martinez and Shoppach and take over his role easily.

I think both teams are filling gaps in this deal. The BoSox need a CF and the Tribe needs a long-term solution at 3B and a powerful setup arm. Cleveland also needs a LF, though, so dealing from a position of strength, the bullpen, to get one makes sense.

**edit- Hardball Times, not Baseball Prospectus

Last edited by samifan24 : 01-23-2006 at 07:59 AM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:01 AM   #666
Ksyrup

"The Herald reported the deal hinged on the Indians' ability to acquire another outfielder, possibly in a trade for the Phillies' Jason Michaels or through signing free agent Jeff DaVanon, formerly of the Angels."

Buster Olney says the deal for Michaels might be for either Arthur Rhodes or Rafael Bettancourt. I can't believe Philly can't get more for an inexpensive, pretty decent CF. Maybe it's been held up because Philly wants more (I hope).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-23-2006, 10:12 AM   #667
Swaggs
Coordinator

I believe Michaels has some legal problems of late. I believe I read that he got rowdy outside a nightclub and assaulted a police officer.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:31 AM   #668
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Buster Olney says the deal for Michaels might be for either Arthur Rhodes or Rafael Bettancourt. I can't believe Philly can't get more for an inexpensive, pretty decent CF. Maybe it's been held up because Philly wants more (I hope).

If the Phils can get Rafael Betancourt from the Indians, they should lock up that deal right away for Michaels. Betancourt has excellent skills, and shoudl continue to be very productive.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:36 AM   #669
QuikSand
lolzcat

If the Indians do decide to sign Jeff Davanon to be a regular OF, he will be *way* under the radar for fantasy leagues this year, and could be a pretty intriguing value pick. He still has very good speed, and I believe he can actually hit a bit, too.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 04:28 PM   #670
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
If the Phils can get Rafael Betancourt from the Indians, they should lock up that deal right away for Michaels. Betancourt has excellent skills, and shoudl continue to be very productive.

Plus the Phillies would have control over his contract for much longer than Rhodes (just one season).
Old 01-23-2006, 07:21 PM   #671
Ksyrup

I need to check out Bettancourt. The few times I saw him pitch last year (or the year before that), he got torched. Repeatedly. In fact, that's why I distinctly remember his name.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:52 PM   #672
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

As I recall, Betancourt has good stuff but some issues with closing.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:06 PM   #673
oykib
College Starter

Anybody else heard the rumor about Hicks sending a letter to Roger Clemens about why he should sign with the Rangers. It seems that Hicks is also a Texas alum and that the two men are friends. That's the rumor I've heard anyway.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:58 PM   #674
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/13693735.htm
ATLANTA - Reliever Mike Remlinger is returning to the Atlanta Braves, agreeing Monday to a minor league contract that would pay him $700,000 if he's added to the major league roster.

Remlinger, who will be 40 by opening day, pitched four years with the Braves and made the All-Star team in 2002. He left after that season for a three-year, $10.65 million contract with the Chicago Cubs, but never had as much success as he did in Atlanta.

With the Braves, the left-hander went 10-1 in 1999 - his only season with double-figure wins. He was 7-3 with a career-best ERA of 1.99 during his All-Star year.

Remlinger was traded by Chicago to the Boston Red Sox last August. He was designated for assignment less than three weeks later after posting a 14.85 ERA in eight appearances, giving up 15 hits in 6 2-3 innings. For the season, he was 0-3 with a 6.58 ERA in 43 games.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:42 AM   #675
dervack
College Prospect

What nobody reports the Wade Miller signing? 1 million for 1 year to the Cubs. I think it's not that bad of a move for the Cubs. He won't be back until May, and with the success the Cubs had with Dempster in his return, and Williamson to a point in his, I have a feeling it will end up being a great move in the end. Plus it's only a year. I look at it as insurrance for when Wood goes down again sometime in July.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:52 AM   #676
oykib
College Starter

I'm on record as saying that whoever got Wade Miller was making a great signing.

You're not really risking anything with $1m for 1 year.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:34 AM   #677
Ksyrup

Yeah, Miller will fit right in on the DL with the rest of the Cubs starters.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:30 PM   #678
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
What nobody reports the Wade Miller signing? 1 million for 1 year to the Cubs. I think it's not that bad of a move for the Cubs. He won't be back until May, and with the success the Cubs had with Dempster in his return, and Williamson to a point in his, I have a feeling it will end up being a great move in the end. Plus it's only a year. I look at it as insurrance for when Wood goes down again sometime in July.
I thought Miller was a genius signing last year. But he really did look awful down the stretch so I'm not sure he has anything left.

SI

Old 01-24-2006, 01:41 PM   #679
Ksyrup

Various reports suggest Michaels for Arthur Fucking Rhodes. Jeezus Crispies!
Old 01-24-2006, 04:39 PM   #680
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Various reports suggest Michaels for Arthur Fucking Rhodes. Jeezus Crispies!

If this is true, apparently firing Ed Wade did nothing for the Phillies. When will they learn? Phils fans, how do you guys live with decisions like this?
Old 01-24-2006, 05:11 PM   #681
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24
If this is true, apparently firing Ed Wade did nothing for the Phillies. When will they learn? Phils fans, how do you guys live with decisions like this?

Its a nothing move in my opinion (not good, not bad). They needed a serviceable arm in the 8th inning to free up Madson for the rotation, and they did that. Lefties can pitch forever, so his age doesn't scare me (36), and he's coming off a nice season.

As for Michaels, he was a nice 4th/great 5th OF to have on your team. Can play all 3 positions well enough when someone needs a day off. With Shane Victorino coming up this year, combined with the the acquision of Rowand, he really became expendible.

This team isn't going to be good because they have NO starting pitching. Brett Myers doesn't appear to be getting it, and staying in shape is apparently too much for him. Lieber is what he is.. Jon Leiber. Another overweight pitcher who pitches well enough to win when he's in shape, but is dreadful when he's out of shape.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:18 PM   #682
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
I thought Miller was a genius signing last year. But he really did look awful down the stretch so I'm not sure he has anything left.

SI
Yeah, but it's still just $1M. It's not making moves like this that really confound me regarding Bill Bavasi - the M's are going to arbitration to overpay Gil Meche (either $3.5 or $4.2M), vastly overpaid Jarrod Washburn when just a few million more could've netted A.J. Burnett or Kevin Millwood, but he won't take a $1M flyer on Wade Miller?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:38 PM   #683
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
Yeah, but it's still just $1M. It's not making moves like this that really confound me regarding Bill Bavasi - the M's are going to arbitration to overpay Gil Meche (either $3.5 or $4.2M), vastly overpaid Jarrod Washburn when just a few million more could've netted A.J. Burnett or Kevin Millwood, but he won't take a $1M flyer on Wade Miller?
Well, yes, and no. I agree that a $1M flier isn't too much. But, if he really has nothing left, it's $1M that could have gone towards Gil Meche's contract and the 40-man roster space of a prospect.

SI

Old 01-24-2006, 11:51 PM   #684
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Mota fails his physical, Indians/Sox deal in limbo
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:09 AM   #685
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

good
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:08 PM   #686
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

The A's sign Frank Thomas to a 1 year deal.

Quote:
http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NAS...=.jsp&c_id=oak

Oakland-Frank Thomas spent 16 seasons rewriting the Chicago White Sox's record books. He will now have a chance to write at least a few chapters for the A's.
Oakland on Wednesday afternoon announced a one-year agreement with the 37-year-old slugger, hoping he can still put a Big Hurt on the rest of the American League.

Cast adrift by the World Series champion White Sox, to whom he could offer little help during another injury-curtailed 2005 campaign, Thomas has found a believer in his recovery in Oakland general manager Billy Beane.

Old 01-25-2006, 06:54 PM   #687
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
good

No, even worse, the speculation is that the Sox would include one of their top reliever prospects.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:17 PM   #688
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywisesb
The A's sign Frank Thomas to a 1 year deal.
One year at $500K - that's a great, low-risk gamble by Billy Beane, and the kind of thing Bavasi should've done instead of signing Carl Everett for essentially 2 years and close to $4M per.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:01 PM   #689
Buccaneer
Head Coach

In addition to the Thomas signing by the A's, another of the dinosaurs will sign tomorrow: Pads get Piazza for $2m with an $8m option for 2007.

I really like this signing, as do most Pads fans. As long as he can start 100+ games (which is what they all say), he should be productive. In 113 games last season, Piazza hit 19 HRs which not only is more productive than any Pads but that alone would have made him the team leader in HR. Mirabili will be a good backup and if he ends up starting half the time, that may be ok - according to some BoSox fans.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:20 PM   #690
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

$2M only for Piazza. Great signing by the Pads. Even if he has nothing left in the tank, it's a good gamble- low risk, high reward.

SI

Old 01-29-2006, 06:36 PM   #691
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
In addition to the Thomas signing by the A's, another of the dinosaurs will sign tomorrow: Pads get Piazza for $2m with an $8m option for 2007.

I really like this signing, as do most Pads fans. As long as he can start 100+ games (which is what they all say), he should be productive. In 113 games last season, Piazza hit 19 HRs which not only is more productive than any Pads but that alone would have made him the team leader in HR. Mirabili will be a good backup and if he ends up starting half the time, that may be ok - according to some BoSox fans.

As a Met fan, I really don't see how he's going to start that many games. His throwing arm was never good, but I always thought too much was made of it, in a "his defense has never been real detrimental" way. But last year was real bad. And its going to get worse. You're not going to want him starting half the games behind the plate, and you will honestly feel embarassed for Piazza if he plays at 1st.

The fact that no AL team would take a Frank Thomas-like flier on him to DH tells you what kind of faith people have in his offensive ability at this point, when he wouldn't even be subjecting his body to catching.

That said, it doesn't make it a bad signing for the Padres, as long as they feel Mirabelli could come in and take over if necessary. And I sure as hell wish Piazza the best, and honestly hope I'm wrong and he has a ton of success (against all teams but the Mets).

Quick tangent...what the hell is up with Bengie Molina, and the catching position overall? From what I heard, it was considered a good market for Cs since there were a decent number of starting jobs open. Then the Japanese guy signed a deal at a price higher than expected, which was supposed to raise salaries for Molina, Hernandez, etc. Did the Mets decision to trade for Lo Duca as opposed to signing one of those guys really screw everything up? I read in the paper today that Molina might end up signing a 1 year, $4 million deal.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:46 PM   #692
Buccaneer
Head Coach

That's reminds me. Where did Ramon end up signing and for how much?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:54 PM   #693
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
That's reminds me. Where did Ramon end up signing and for how much?

Baltimore. 4 years, $27 mil.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:23 AM   #694
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN
Report: 'Devil' may be dropped from team name

Associated Press

click this

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The Tampa Bay Devil Rays are following through on a promise to practically reconstruct themselves under new ownership.

The franchise has overhauled the front office and hired a new manager since New York investor Stuart Sternberg took control of the club last fall. Now, officials are pondering a possible name change.

"The new management team is looking at everything," spokesman Rick Vaughn said Friday, adding that discussions about changing the name are still in the "embryonic" stage.

"It could be subtle," Vaughn said. "It could be major."

The Tampa Tribune reported in Friday's editions that there will be a name change for the 2007 season.

One of the options under consideration, even before Sternberg became principal owner, was dropping "Devil" from the nickname. Many fans already are accustomed to calling the club "Rays."

When Sternberg replaced founding owner Vince Naimoli in October, he vowed to make whatever changes necessary to make the last-place team more successful -- on and off the field.

One of his first moves was to announce parking will be free at Tropicana Field next season.
Well, Devil Rays was kindof dumb to begin with. Go with either "Sting Rays" or just "Tampa Bay Rays". Good move.

SI

Old 01-30-2006, 05:03 AM   #695
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:

Awesome, I like Piazza. I'm not sure he'll like Petco though.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:55 AM   #696
Ksyrup

I guess this qualifies as off-season news...

CARACAS, Venezuela -- Carlos Martinez, who played for seven seasons in Major League Baseball, died on Tuesday at his home in Venezuela at age 40, his wife said.

Martinez, an infielder for the Chicago White Sox, Cleveland Indians and California Angels from 1988-93 and 1995, died at his home in the coastal state of Vargas, about 20 kilometers north of the capital Caracas, Evelyn de Martinez told reporters.

She declined to specify the cause of death, although she said he had suffered for years from the same disease which forced him to retire from baseball in 1998.

"He was hospitalized many times until last week, when they told me nothing else could be done," De Martinez said. "He wanted to spend his final days here at home with his family."

"Cafe" Martinez, as he was affectionately known because of his penchant for Venezuelan coffee, began his professional career at age 18 in his home port city of La Guaira with Los Tiburones, and was signed that same year by the New York Yankees as an amateur free agent.

He was traded in 1986 to the Chicago White Sox, for whom he made his major leagues debut two years later in the last month of the regular season as a third baseman.

Undermined by injuries, he finished with a MLB career batting average of .258 with 25 home runs, and 161 RBI.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:57 AM   #697
Ksyrup

Re: the Devil Rays name, that's been a source of contention ever since they named the team. I was living in Central Florida when the team was awarded and can recall the press from people unhappy with the use of the term "devil" in the name. I specifically recall the argument that the entire name was bad, because in addition to the use of "devil," "ray" spelled backwards is "Yar," which is the devil's dog. So the name was doubly bad, apparently.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:22 PM   #698
Johnny93g
College Starter

Report: Jays agree to deal with Molina

Bengie Molina

Canadian Press

2/6/2006 6:00:19 PM

TORONTO (CP) - The Toronto Blue Jays are finalizing the details of a one-year contract with free-agent catcher Bengie Molina, a source close to the talks said Monday.

An announcement could be made later Monday.

The deal is worth $4.5 million US for 2006 with a mutual option worth $7.5 million in 2007. The deal also includes a $500,000 buyout if the team doesn't pick up the option.

Molina posted career-bests with a .295 batting average, .336 on-base percentage and 15 homers last year with the Los Angeles Angels. He also hit 15 homers and 17 doubles in 119 games while providing solid defence behind the plate.

Signing Molina would be the Blue Jays' fifth major upgrade this off-season.

The Blue Jays have already signed starter A.J. Burnett and closer B.J. Ryan traded for slugging third baseman Troy Glaus and first baseman Lyle Overbay in trying to upgrade a young club that finished 80-82 last season in the American League East
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:34 PM   #699
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Royals put out their promotion schedule last week so myself, my wife, and the friend we go to games with were mulling over the calendar. They had a great deal a lower deck flex plan: 20 vouchers for $199, so $10 a seat for lower deck for 6 games + 2 extra tickets.

We're looking at going to:

Apr 7: (somewhat hated) White Sox
Apr 29: A's
May 21: (HATED) Cardinals
Jun 9: Devil Rays
Jun 24: Brewers
Jul 21/22: Angels (not sure which day)
Aug 19: A's (again)
Sept 23: Tigers

Those are all weekend games and we pretty much go every 3-4 weeks. Good stuff, can't wait for spring training.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-06-2006 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:00 PM   #700
MikeVic
Head Coach

If the Molina signing goes through, I'll be very happy. As I'm sure DarkCloud will be too. Jays have made nice moves this offseason. Hopefully it results in success on the field.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote