Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-14-2006, 12:31 AM   #651
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze
Seville has won the Uefa Cup. Great people with a nice talent.

Cheers (Olé! )

Sheesh, the UEFA final, and no one says anything but Kevin Spacey? I realize it's Copa Numero Dos, not Uno, but still...

I am the resident Boro fan and I couldn't watch this the night it happened, so I avoided football sites (and this thread) for the last three days, waiting for a replay on FSC I could watch.

Obviously, it was a disappointing match for Boro, but to be fair, they had a good chance at it. The critical play in my mind was the awful non-call on the foul of Viduka int he box just before Sevilla's Maresca went nuts on the other end. That was a blatant and easy penalty call to make. The ref for this match was shite (I swear he fell for every Alves and Fabiano and Adriano dive, and yes for Rochembach, too).

We get the PK and put it in the net, then it's level, and we're not pressing to score (as much anyway). And if we're not pressing, Maresca doesn't hit us on the break. The last two goals were pretty much allowed because the squad gave up after that, and I can't say I blame them.

That all said, Sevilla came in rated as the better side, and I think they proved that. They definitely had more pace, and it wasn't helped that the only quality pace we had on the pitch were wingers Downing and Morrison, and they both had awful form in this one. And McClaren flubbed it by starting Jimmy Floyd and Viduka--we needed pace up front, and Maccarone and Yakubu should have been in from the start. I think England's new manager thought our advantage was size (which was true), so he wanted to play a cross and target game, but that's hard to do when your wings are getting run ragged.

Oh well...we have better talent then we showed in league this year, and I am hoping we move on from some of our older players (Viduka, Schwarzer, Hasselbaink, not sure the skipper can keep up anymore either, but we can't move him with Ugo always in the trainer's room).

Any guesses who replaces McClaren? I am hearing O'Niell. Don't we have a big Celtic fan on this board? Would love to hear more on him (I don't follow SPL ball, so I don't know much about him).

BTW, forget to say it, well done, Sevilla, you outclassed us.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:01 AM   #652
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
Any guesses who replaces McClaren? I am hearing O'Niell. Don't we have a big Celtic fan on this board? Would love to hear more on him (I don't follow SPL ball, so I don't know much about him).

Not a Celtic fan, but Leicester City fan here - O'Neill formed his reputation at the higher level with us. Before he arrived we were a yo-yo team, during his first season with us (after a horrible start!) he sneaked us into the play-offs, which we then managed to win with a last-minute extra time goal to get into the Prem

For the next four years, we were one of only five teams to win a major trophy (the League Cup - twice [we also got to another final]), one of five teams to finish top half every one of these years (admittedly P7-P10 every time) and had the best period of success in our modern history

He is a motivator rather than a tactical genuis, very much in the Brian Clough mould (unsurprising really as he played under Clough for F****t when the won the European Cup twice). He works with John Robertson (who is responsible for 'squad morale' ) and Steve Walford who does the majority of the actual coaching.

The man is a legend in Leicester - and tbh if he goes to Boro you will do a lot better than presently, with the increased budget he will have.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 10:32 AM   #653
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Typical Italy. Juve wins the Scudetto, but again not without controversy, as the ref blows the whistle at least 4 minutes or so before he should have. It probably wouldn't have mattered either way, but, yet another controversy for Juventus and Italy to worry about.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:46 AM   #654
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
Typical Italy. Juve wins the Scudetto, but again not without controversy, as the ref blows the whistle at least 4 minutes or so before he should have. It probably wouldn't have mattered either way, but, yet another controversy for Juventus and Italy to worry about.

Despite the rampant rumors and dismissals, I still bet the league today and for profit. However, its not the black eye that the Serie A wants to show off for its followers and I will be using much more caution at the beginning of next season as any punter should.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:13 PM   #655
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I am reading the recap of the FC Dallas-Houston match from yesterday (1-1) and they refer to FC Dallas as the Hoops. Anyone know why?

edit: Another question I have been meaning to ask. What happened to the Metrostars, because the Red Bulls are a completely different team that was already around was it not?

Last edited by Cringer : 05-14-2006 at 06:16 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:38 PM   #656
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

If you've seen Dallas's unis, you'd know why "hoops" is a very apt moniker .

Red Bull New York is the new name of the Metrostars.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:55 PM   #657
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
If you've seen Dallas's unis, you'd know why "hoops" is a very apt moniker .

Red Bull New York is the new name of the Metrostars.

I had seen their uni's, but it just didn't click with me I guess.

Ok, so they just changed from Metrostars. I thought there was more to it.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:57 PM   #658
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, and Red Bull bought the team and are now the owners.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:00 PM   #659
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well, and Red Bull bought the team and are now the owners.

Is the reserve team called Sugar Free Red Bull?

I like me some sugar free Red Bull.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:04 PM   #660
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

No, but it should be. It should be.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:17 PM   #661
Desnudo
Coordinator

Wow, world cup goliath receives a huge blow.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...367901&cc=5901
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:10 PM   #662
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And Ballack decides to sign with Chelsea, where, apparently he'll be rotating with Essien. Though ask SWP how being a rotation can help your career:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...368014&cc=5901

Ballack chose 'stronger' Chelsea over Man Utd

LONDON, May 15 (Reuters) - Germany midfielder Michael Ballack says he chose to sign for Chelsea instead of Manchester United because the English champions are a better team.

GettyImages
Michael Ballack: Stamford Bridge's new man.

The 29-year-old was unveiled by Chelsea on Monday after arriving from Bayern Munich on a free transfer. He signed a three-year contract with the club owned by Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich, winners of the last two Premier League titles.

'Manchester United came in quite early for me but really I saw the possibilities of Chelsea as being much greater,' the playmaker and Germany captain told a news conference.

'They are a stronger team and also London has its attractions, particularly as a family man. And in the final analysis it was Chelsea's aims that attracted me.

'Just look at the achievements of the club in the last two years, winning the title twice, and you can see what a super team they are.

'Also you have to consider the competition they are playing in. Liverpool won the Champions League last year and Arsenal are in the final again this week. This shows the strength of the league in England.

'And it's also a challenge for me, because the sort of play here suits my style.'

Ballack is expected to be rotated in Chelsea's teams on domestic and European duty with Ghana's Michael Essien in a three-man midfield featuring top goalscorer Frank Lampard and Frenchman Claude Makelele in the holding role.

'As for my position, I'm quite flexible,' he said. 'I can play at the back or the front of midfield and that flexibility is in the side as well.'

He will start his career in English football after helping Bayern win consecutive German league and cup doubles, part of a six-trophy haul during four years at the club.

'I had a great time at Bayern Munich. The fans have always been behind me. The last few weeks have seen a number of provocative statements which have obviously had an effect on the fans of Bayern Munich. 'And if a few of them react with whistles and boos that's understandable.'

Ballack took advice from Germany coach and former Tottenham Hotspur striker Jurgen Klinsmann, along with other German players in London's Premier League clubs before making his decision.

'I asked some players about English football - Jurgen Klinsmann, Robert Huth (Chelsea) and Jens Lehmann (Arsenal). They told me good things about this country.'

Ballack denied that Chelsea's new-found wealth under Abramovich's ownership was behind his move. 'That's not the case,' he said. 'It's more about a dream of playing abroad, which I had from the age of 22 or 23.

'In those days it was a question of where and when would I go. But then I had my moves to Kaiserslautern, Leverkusen and finally to Bayern and so I never went. But now is the right time.

'Money I can earn in any league, I earned well in Germany. That's not the main reason. The main challenge for me was to come and play in England.'

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-15-2006 at 03:12 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:20 PM   #663
Critch
lolzcat

I'd be surprised if Ballack ends up in a rotation, I'd think only the English press believe he's not at the very least a match for Lampard.

Couple of early rumors have been Makelele moving on with Essien taking over the holding role behind, or Lampard moving on. There's been a rumor for a while that Lampard would be heading to Barcelona, his girlfriend is from there. That's enough for a rumor
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:29 PM   #664
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Essien taking on the holding role? Yikes... Makelele is absolutely perfect for the role. I don't know if Essien could do the same job.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:34 PM   #665
Critch
lolzcat

Dola....

And what's the thinking with the England World Cup Squad? Only four forwards? Two who will at the very best be struggling for match fitness, at worst will be crocked (Rooney and Owen), a giraffe that would force a change in playing style (Crouch), and a schoolboy who has never played in a EPL game (Walcott). There isn't even an attacking midfielder who can move up front if needed. All seems a bit risky, and leaves them having to be sure about Rooney from the start rather than having the luxury of taking him in the hope that he's ready.

I really don't get taking Walcott ahead of Defoe. Defoe may not be a world beater, but at least he has the experience.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:35 PM   #666
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Essien taking on the holding role? Yikes... Makelele is absolutely perfect for the role. I don't know if Essien could do the same job.

I agree with you, but Makelele is coming up for 34 so I guess that's the thinking.

Not sure how else Ballack fits into that midfield.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:45 PM   #667
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
There isn't even an attacking midfielder who can move up front if needed.

I dunno if it was Erickson or someone else who said that Joe Cole could play up front if necessary.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:54 PM   #668
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
I dunno if it was Erickson or someone else who said that Joe Cole could play up front if necessary.

I guess he'd be more of a similar style direct replacement for Rooney/Owen than Crouch would be anyway.

I'll have to add Ballack to Chelsea in FM tonight and see how the AI fits him into that midfield
Old 05-15-2006, 04:00 PM   #669
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Woot! FM as a predictive tool .
Old 05-15-2006, 04:17 PM   #670
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I agree with you, but Makelele is coming up for 34 so I guess that's the thinking.

Not sure how else Ballack fits into that midfield.

Ballack starts alongside Lampard & Makelele. Essien comes off the bench and rotates in regularly when one of the other three need a rest.

This year our first team played 54 matches in spite of going out of the CL relatively early. Given that many games, four class players for three slots is a very good idea. Before Ballack, if we wanted to give Lampard or Essien a rest we had to choose between Eidur Gudjohnsen - a former striker who still tackles like a striker and is rumoured to be on his way out - and the bloated shell of Maniche. By the end of the World Cup, Lampard will have played three consecutive seasons of 50+ games with just one summer off. Being able to give him a few days off without completely destroying our midfield will be very useful.

Oh, and the club does have an heir apparent to the Makelele role. His name's Lassana Diarra. French U-21 international, stepped into the first team after we clinched the title and was one of the only people who showed up for the last two matches.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:52 PM   #671
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Woot! FM as a predictive tool .

So there you have it, is there anything FM can't do?
Old 05-15-2006, 06:01 PM   #672
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Sub in Cole for SWP and that's exactly the team Jose would probably use if we had to play a match tomorrow. Just goes to show how good FM's database is.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:03 PM   #673
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon
Sub in Cole for SWP and that's exactly the team Jose would probably use if we had to play a match tomorrow. Just goes to show how good FM's database is.

Meant to mention that Cole was injured, so without that it would have been spot on.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:18 PM   #674
Galaxy
Coordinator

So,
What would be the role of each player in that tatic?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:43 PM   #675
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Meant to mention that Cole was injured, so without that it would have been spot on.

Whew! For a second there, I thought FM had lost it!
Old 05-15-2006, 11:31 PM   #676
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
So,
What would be the role of each player in that tatic?

Robben dives, Ferriera gets carded, Carvalho wags his finger at the ref and Mourinho scours.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:20 AM   #677
Critch
lolzcat

The Italian FA has gone into emergency rule, a former senator has been placed in command to clean it up (because, as we all know, Italian politicians are above corruption), trading in Juventus shares has been suspended, and Gianluigi Buffon may be kicked off the World Cup squad.

So the gooey stuff has certainly hit the fan.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:21 AM   #678
Desnudo
Coordinator

If something like that had happened in England I would have been shocked, but for some reason it actually seems to fit with my impression of Italy's culture.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:31 PM   #679
PilotMan
Head Coach

Who is watching the Champions Cup final today?

In other news, how much is the loss of Vieri going to affect Italy?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:33 PM   #680
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I'm watching. Down with Arsenal!
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:38 PM   #681
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

I'm listening online at work. Down with work!
Old 05-17-2006, 01:39 PM   #682
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Goddamnit stuck at work - I forgot to Tivo the game. Grr!
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:47 PM   #683
Butter
Coordinator

DVR'ing it. As such, this'll be my last appearance in the thread until tomorrow.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #684
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Terrific early opportunity for Henry... great save on it.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #685
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7
I'm listening online at work. Down with work!

Where are you listening from?
Old 05-17-2006, 01:55 PM   #686
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Any links would be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to find a damn video feed online.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:59 PM   #687
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Where are you listening from?
Well it seemed like Talksport was going to carry it as they were doing a pre-game from the stadium. But now that the game has begun, they've started playing something else.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:05 PM   #688
PilotMan
Head Coach

Wow, what a turn of events early in the game.

Like Steam?

Old 05-17-2006, 02:06 PM   #689
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Awful decision by the referee. No reason not to the play the advantage and let the goal stand.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:08 PM   #690
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well, I think it hurt Arsenal much more over the course of the game than that goal would have.

Like Steam?

Old 05-17-2006, 02:08 PM   #691
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

what happened ? I see Lehman's dismissal, but what exactly happened there ?
Old 05-17-2006, 02:09 PM   #692
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan
Well, I think it hurt Arsenal much more over the course of the game than that goal would have.

We'll see.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:09 PM   #693
PilotMan
Head Coach

Eto got a through pass and Lehman came out and took him out, but he was able to get a pass off that scored for Barca but it was disallowed.

Like Steam?

Old 05-17-2006, 02:10 PM   #694
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
what happened ? I see Lehman's dismissal, but what exactly happened there ?

Charged the attacker at the top of the box and basically gave him a slide-tackle. It was a wide-open break. As they collided the ball trickled forward and right and was put in by one of the other attackers. Ref tossed Lehman and disallowed the goal.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:11 PM   #695
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

SHit. You hate to see a final between two good teams ruined by a red card.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:11 PM   #696
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Incredibly physical game in the aftermath of the red card...
Old 05-17-2006, 02:12 PM   #697
PilotMan
Head Coach

The loss of Pires is going to make things harder for Henry up front.

Like Steam?

Old 05-17-2006, 02:12 PM   #698
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

For those watching, straight red in your books, or what ? From the description, it seems clear enough, but another forum is insisting it was an awful call.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:13 PM   #699
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Incredibly physical game in the aftermath of the red card...

You are not kidding here at all.

Like Steam?

Old 05-17-2006, 02:17 PM   #700
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
For those watching, straight red in your books, or what ? From the description, it seems clear enough, but another forum is insisting it was an awful call.

Absolutely deserved a red card if there was a call; the question would be whether to make it a no-call and give Barca the goal instead. Probably the right call - Lehmann knew was he was doing there, and that was definately the intent. Arsenal still full clean sheets, though; it was going to be their defense to rely on in this match, so let Pires come out, hope for Henry to do something magical or a 0-0 penalty set.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote