Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #651
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Just read the Facebook post. This has officially become best blog ever.

I hadn't seen that before. That's awesome. I know it's dumb but my favorite might be "Curtis Joseph completed the quiz "Which 1990s Maple Leaf are you?" with the result "You are Curtis Joseph"."

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #652
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Nice period by Franzen.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:19 PM   #653
Galaxy
Coordinator

Not a playoff thread, but I see that the Phoenix Coyotes, the Blackberry billionaire, and the NHL are all in court over his bid to buy the Coyotes and move them to Hamilton.

Last edited by Galaxy : 05-07-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #654
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Was that a Hossa sighting?
Old 05-07-2009, 11:16 PM   #655
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well, so far, I am a fan of this Hossa-Filpula-Franzen line.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:18 PM   #656
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I absolutely love the move by Babcock, ramping up the Wings forecheck and giving the Ducks a taste of their own medicine. And the Franzen-Filpulla-Hossa combination looks like lightning-in-a-bottle right now. Lovin' it!
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:39 PM   #657
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Good move by Carlyle pulling Hiller. No reason to keep him in. Hopefully it doesn't get too ugly now at 5-2 with 16 minutes left. And hopefully Rafalski is back for Game 5.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #658
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Kopecky fighting should probably never happen again. Bad time to do it as well. At least he took Beachumin with him I guess.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:08 AM   #659
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Kopecky fighting should probably never happen again. Bad time to do it as well. At least he took Beachumin with him I guess.

Yeah, the only positive thing that came out of that was an exchange of one of the Wings 4th liners for one of the Ducks top 4 d-men.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-08-2009, 12:11 AM   #660
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Yeah, the only positive thing that came out of that was an exchange of one of the Wings 4th liners for one of the Ducks top 4 d-men.

I'll never dog a fight for dropping them, and more power to them both ditching the vistors, but Kopecky got hurt in the fight. He got abused. He just looked clueless.

If he is out, I'd hope they dress Abdelkader and let him and Helm cause some havoc on there with their speed, or dress Meech, especially if Rafalski is out and give the team some options.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:13 AM   #661
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I was impressed with the job Helm did last year, but man the more I see of that kid's game the more I like.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 05-08-2009, 12:22 AM   #662
Logan
Head Coach

Balsillie being into the Coyotes is good news for Nashville fans, if any exist.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:50 AM   #663
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Good game for the Wings tonight. Got the result their play deserved, and ran Hiller, too, which has to help calm any fears they can't beat him.

While certainly not a great night for the Ducks, it was good to see them get a goal back after being down 5-2, and to show the kinda fight they showed at the end (along with Beauchemin's toss up with Kopecky, lol, that was great). Hopefully a stronger third like that and good play by Jiggy as replacement will help at least stunt a little bit of the momentum going to Detroit.

Right now, I want a Game 7 in this series. I don't think the Wings can win both of the next two, which means I get my wish. And I'll take our chances in a Game 7, even in Joe Louis. An exciting series that should go the distance, if all is fair.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:41 AM   #664
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I know it's dumb but my favorite might be "Curtis Joseph completed the quiz "Which 1990s Maple Leaf are you?" with the result "You are Curtis Joseph"."
That was my favorite too. And yes, it is dumb.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #665
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

So I'll expound a bit on the Balsillie/Coyotes thing now that I have some time to type.

I really love that he's trying to make this happen, and if it means sticking it to Bettman and his cronies in the process that's even better. The fact that Bettman absolutely refuses to admit his expansions were for the most part a mistake is frustrating, and I dream of the day when that little weasel parts ways with the league. At least when the CFL tried to go south and failed they eventually wised up and got the hell out.

Now, do I think Balsillie will succeed? I don't know. I don't think anyone knows. But if I had to put money on it, I'd say he won't. Bettman will do anything he can to keep it from happening, and I think he'll have just enough tricks up his slimy little sleeve to succeed.

One interesting point that Ron McLean made on Coaches Corner last night was that if a second team goes into southern Ontario, it may likely have the effect of driving up the salary cap to a level where another 4-5 teams that are currently on the brink are suddenly no longer feasible. This is something I hadn't considered before, but it makes sense.

As for the Coyotes, I think its been obvious for about a decade that it was just never going to work down there. In a way I'll be happy to see them leave, but part of me has always kind of hoped that the landscape would have changed enough by that time for them to just come back to Winnipeg. We could change the name back to Jets, and pretend like the whole Coyotes thing was just a bad season of Dallas. If they end up in southern Ontario, they are likely there to stay, so that dream dies. Maybe that's for the best though: if Winnipeg ever gets another team, do we really want all that old baggage? Do we really need to hear "this franchise has only advanced past the first round of the playoffs once in 30 years" again?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #666
samifan24
Pro Starter

I hope the real Boston Bruins show up tonight. Apparently the team held a players only meeting yesterday stressing the importance of a complete 60 minute effort here tonight.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #667
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
One interesting point that Ron McLean made on Coaches Corner last night was that if a second team goes into southern Ontario, it may likely have the effect of driving up the salary cap to a level where another 4-5 teams that are currently on the brink are suddenly no longer feasible. This is something I hadn't considered before, but it makes sense.

I'd be curious to know how McLean figures this would work. The Canadian dollar has fallen and while it seems to have leveled off a bit, it's not going to have nearly the effect it had a couple seasons ago when the dollar was on par.

Sure, attendance (hopefully) will be fantastic, but that's just improving one team's attendance. I don't know what the numbers were for Phoenix this year, but even if you double their usual attendance (or triple it?), how much affect can that really have on the overall line across the entire league, let alone driving up the cap to the point where some teams will be forced under?

Anything I've heard/read figured that we'd be more likely to see a small scale back on the cap in the next year or two rather than the jumps we've seen lately (had figured that even without the recession/dollar drop that it would even out pretty soon anyway), so, yeah, quite curious to see where McLean figures this huge amount of influx is going to happen.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #668
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I'd be curious to know how McLean figures this would work. The Canadian dollar has fallen and while it seems to have leveled off a bit, it's not going to have nearly the effect it had a couple seasons ago when the dollar was on par.

Sure, attendance (hopefully) will be fantastic, but that's just improving one team's attendance. I don't know what the numbers were for Phoenix this year, but even if you double their usual attendance (or triple it?), how much affect can that really have on the overall line across the entire league, let alone driving up the cap to the point where some teams will be forced under?

Anything I've heard/read figured that we'd be more likely to see a small scale back on the cap in the next year or two rather than the jumps we've seen lately (had figured that even without the recession/dollar drop that it would even out pretty soon anyway), so, yeah, quite curious to see where McLean figures this huge amount of influx is going to happen.

I am not sure either. I am not exactly sure how "league revenues" are calculated for cap purposes. Maybe he's assuming that Phoenix was actually decreasing league revenues, whereas Hamilton would increase it, so by removing a negative and additng a potentially large positive = significant increase in league revenue.

Maybe...
Old 05-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #669
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

I won't pretend to understand the math, as I have no idea how the cap is calculated (I think it's more than just ticket sales) or how large a percentage a top 5 revenue team contributes to overall revenues compared to a bottom 5 team. That said, I thought I'd read somewhere a year or two that the 6 Canadian teams make up something like 40% of the revenues? If you add another 6th of that, doesn't that have a big effect? Especially for teams that are already on the bubble?

I don't know, more informed people than me need to figure all that out, but I sort of assumed Mr. McLean might be one of them.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 05-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #670
gstelmack
Pro Starter

You can also combine that with many teams hovering on the brink meaning even a small increase may have a profound effect on their bottom line. Certainly if a team is losing 20-30 million or more per year it won't take much more to go over the edge.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #671
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Certainly if a team is losing 20-30 million or more per year it won't take much more to go over the edge.

Heh, I would argue those teams went over the edge along time ago, they just don't know it yet
Old 05-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #672
MikeVic
Head Coach

Hamilton Jets.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #673
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Nah...they should call themselves the Chiefs...and the uniforms should include silver on the knuckles of the gloves (to look like foil).
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 05-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #674
Travis
Pro Rookie

In regards to the cap, I was under the impression that it was related to ticket sales/revenue, hence why the drop in value of the Canadian dollar was bound to catch up/level off the cap and why even doubling/tripling the attendance figure for one franchise wouldn't have that huge of an effect (granted, ticket prices could also be jacked so the overall impact would be greater) given all the other current downward trends.

That's why I'm curious. I really thought last year would be the last big jump in the cap and that we might see one more small increase (though with the recession that step might end up getting skipped) before a couple of seasons with reductions to bring it back in line. That said, it'll be a couple of years before any move would reflect as the cap always reflects the previous seasons ticket sales so even if they were to move before next season it wouldn't affect the cap until the 2011/12 season.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #675
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
In regards to the cap, I was under the impression that it was related to ticket sales/revenue, hence why the drop in value of the Canadian dollar was bound to catch up/level off the cap and why even doubling/tripling the attendance figure for one franchise wouldn't have that huge of an effect (granted, ticket prices could also be jacked so the overall impact would be greater) given all the other current downward trends.

That's why I'm curious. I really thought last year would be the last big jump in the cap and that we might see one more small increase (though with the recession that step might end up getting skipped) before a couple of seasons with reductions to bring it back in line. That said, it'll be a couple of years before any move would reflect as the cap always reflects the previous seasons ticket sales so even if they were to move before next season it wouldn't affect the cap until the 2011/12 season.

I don't think it's as important what the cap itself is, or whether it is up, down, or the same. The key is what percentage of the cap is being provided by the revenues of those bubble teams. If the cap was going to drop 10% when the Coyotes are in Phoenix, but now it only will drop 7% because a net-loss team has become a net-gain team, all those other crappy teams are now looking at a cap number that is less attainable post-Phoenix than it was pre-Phoenix, despite the fact that it still came down.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #676
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dola

pre-Phoenix makes no sense. I mean with-Phoenix. You get my drift.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #677
Travis
Pro Rookie

It does, and I don't necessarily disagree, but I heard the comments McLean was making and it seemed like he was suggesting a big jump in the cap number (rather than any sort of drop or leveling out) which didn't make sense to me.

Last edited by Travis : 05-08-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #678
USFLTecmo
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Just read the Facebook post. This has officially become best blog ever.

I agree. Bookmarked.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #679
Galaxy
Coordinator

As far as Hamilton, the Sabres (my team, btw) aren't too happy at all with the idea of a team in Hamilton. Nearly 20% of the Sabres revenues come from Southern Ontario (and they are franchise that has to make the playoffs to break-even). Toronto, I think, really doesn't have the same problems that a Hamilton club would present in comparsion to Buffalo.

Last edited by Galaxy : 05-08-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:51 PM   #680
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Nah...they should call themselves the Chiefs...and the uniforms should include silver on the knuckles of the gloves (to look like foil).

And taped up glasses instead of visors?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:31 PM   #681
gstelmack
Pro Starter

So what, WAS and PIT called up all their minor-league forwards and sent all the defensemen down?
Old 05-08-2009, 06:44 PM   #682
Galaxy
Coordinator

Alex certainly is getting under the Pens skin.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:05 PM   #683
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Oh man, Pens just got screwed there, blatant interference call missed right before the goal, possibly another one with Orpik being knocked into the net.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #684
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22 View Post
Oh man, Pens just got screwed there, blatant interference call missed right before the goal, possibly another one with Orpik being knocked into the net.

That's not the first interference call missed today. They are consistently allowing both teams to interfere.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:10 PM   #685
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
That's not the first interference call missed today. They are consistently allowing both teams to interfere.

Yeah, I just got home and tuned in. I think that's what I've noticed the most about the playoffs is the ability to get away with interference (as a playoff newbie, I'm not used to watching games in May). Another reason I thought the Jackets finally played with Detroit in the 4th game was that they finally realized what they could get away with.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:03 PM   #686
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

If the back of the jersey said Ruutu, Cooke, Ott, Carcillo, or Tootoo, this is 5, game misconduct, and we are talking about suspension:

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/DwxTrxESWjI&amphl=en&ampfs=1[/url]" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265">

YouTube - Ovechkin Gonchar Knee - Caps Pens Game 4 - May 8 2009

Maybe not intentional, but that's knee-on-knee. The play is fine until he extends his leg when Gonchar tries to sidestep.

EDIT- not sure what I am doing wrong embedding the image. Anyone?

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 05-08-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:06 PM   #687
samifan24
Pro Starter

The Bruins make me sick. This is why I hate the playoffs.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:40 PM   #688
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Dude Malkin runs around boarding people and elbowing others in the head. Please don't play the woe is me superstar card here.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #689
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i was out seeing Star Trek but I gather the Bruins rolled over and died tonight hmm? Oh well...it's been fun.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #690
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Carolina is coming out of the East. 'Tis all.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #691
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I didn't get a chance to catch the first half of the game (was out early in the evening with the family and my wife didn't set up the recording like I asked her to ), but I did start watching from just after the point Boston tied it up in the second period. It was a pretty evenly played contest through two period, but I don't know what happened to Boston in the third period. Carolina just took them apart during that period, about the most impressive stretch of hockey they've had the entire playoffs and perhaps even the entire season considering the opposition.

However, I'll only rest easier once that last game is clinched. Washington just proved a round ago that a 3-1 lead isn't insurmountable. I still can't believe Boston would fall apart so completely and so quickly, so I think this one is still going to take at least six games to settle. (Yes, I'm just like Red in Shawshank: "Hope is a dangerous thing....")
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:13 AM   #692
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Yeah, Boston just fell apart in that third period. Carolina though is starting to make a habit of scoring a key goal and then following it up shortly with a dagger to the heart.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:26 AM   #693
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Confidence pool, through last night:

DeToxRox618
SR614
bbor598
Chief Rum580
bhlloy572
Old 05-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #694
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Only slightly related to the NHL playoffs, but do any of you guys (in the US) get Universal Sports on your cable (or a subchannel of your local NBC affiliate's digital signal)? I just found it on my system (it is not encrypted on mine, so would be worth looking for if any of you have a device that allows you to view Clear QAM channels).

The point is that they are supposedly going to be showing the medal matches for the IIHF World Championships live tomorrow, and then again a few times during the next week.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:08 AM   #695
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

They are also going to be showing the Semifinal match between US & Russia today at 2 PM Eastern (not live).
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #696
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks Tekneek!
Old 05-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #697
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Conflicting reports on Gonchar:

TSN reporting out "several weeks" and possibly done for the year, per Dreger, posted about 3 pm - http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=278120

Pittsburgh Penguins saying game time decision tonight, posted a little after noon today - Pittsburgh Penguins - Features: It's A Great Day for Hockey - May 9 - 05/09/2009

That seems pretty far apart. Have to believe some of what is coming from the Penguins is typical playoff smoke to cover the truth.

In either case, Alex Goligoski has been recalled from WBS, and apparently is scheduled to be in the lineup tonight (ahead of vet Phillipe Boucher). Goligoski was really good on the PP early in the season. He won't eat up the minutes Gonch was playing 5 on 5 and the odd PK shift he took.

PK might be where the Pens get exposed-- typical rotation is Gill/Scuderi to start, Eaton and Orpik/Gonch. Letang doesn't see much time on the PK, neither will Gogo.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #698
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
If the back of the jersey said Ruutu, Cooke, Ott, Carcillo, or Tootoo, this is 5, game misconduct, and we are talking about suspension:

Maybe not intentional, but that's knee-on-knee. The play is fine until he extends his leg when Gonchar tries to sidestep.

I've seen the replay over a dozen times. I don't think it deserves a suspension. Should have been a 5 minute major? Probably, but not a suspension, I don't care who did it.

Hopefully Gonchar is ok.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #699
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I'll never dog a fight for dropping them, and more power to them both ditching the vistors, but Kopecky got hurt in the fight. He got abused. He just looked clueless.

If he is out, I'd hope they dress Abdelkader and let him and Helm cause some havoc on there with their speed, or dress Meech, especially if Rafalski is out and give the team some options.

Kopecky is out. Likey for the rest of the season as he might need surgery to repair facial fractures.

Early reports suggest Abdelkader is in.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:59 PM   #700
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Kopecky is out. Likey for the rest of the season as he might need surgery to repair facial fractures.

Early reports suggest Abdelkader is in.

Wow, really? Man, don't **** with Francois Beauchemin.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote