Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-29-2009, 02:45 PM   #651
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
thats some fuzzy math right there

or 0.5 goals per game for you detailed oriented types...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #652
samifan24
Pro Starter

Any Blues fans here? Why did St. Louis healthy scratch Erik Johnson the other night? Isn't he the future cornerstone of that franchise or has the Blues front office soured on him already?
Old 12-29-2009, 03:50 PM   #653
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Woot.

Interesting week. I also had the CBC "borrow" one of my bits on HNIC this week. (They apologized for via twitter for not giving credit.)

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 12-29-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #654
Galaxy
Coordinator

What a game. Down 3-0, Miller gets pulled and the Sabres climb back to win 4-3.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:22 PM   #655
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
What a game. Down 3-0, Miller gets pulled and the Sabres climb back to win 4-3.

That comeback was like something out of 2005/06 for Buffalo. Thrilling win...now if Stafford could only play like that every game. He has ridiculous power forward potential but just can't bring that effort every night.

And Lalime...damn!
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #656
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
That comeback was like something out of 2005/06 for Buffalo. Thrilling win...now if Stafford could only play like that every game. He has ridiculous power forward potential but just can't bring that effort every night.

And Lalime...damn!

Lalime is showing that he is more than capable of being the No. 2 goalie. Miller was just off tonight (of course, he didn't get a lot of help in front).
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:49 PM   #657
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I told you wanted Miller...and no part of Lalime!

Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #658
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post

That's awesome! I have now had two friends randomly send me things from Maple Leafs' blog. One was the Heatley thing and I forget the other. Each time I began a response explaining that I "sort of" know the guy because we've been posting on a forum dedicated to a football text sim that I haven't played since 2004...

I start the response, but then end it, because there's just no real good way to explain that.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 12-30-2009, 11:16 AM   #659
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Watching the Canadian Olympic Team announcement. Just goalies so far, but no shockers as it's Brodeur, Lulongo and MAF.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:17 AM   #660
DeToxRox
Head Coach

D is coming up next and the hosts are already talking about surprises. I suspect Doughty makes it, and he damn well should. That kid is a monster.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:23 AM   #661
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Here comes the 7 D:

- Dan Boyle
- Drew Doughty
- Duncan Keith
- Scott Neidermayer (C)
- Chris Pronger (A)
- Brent Seabrook
- Shea Weber
Old 12-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #662
DeToxRox
Head Coach

You can for sure see the Wings blueprint on that D pairing. Canada is never going to give the puck up.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #663
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Forwards:

1. Patrice Bergeron
2. Sidney Crosby (A)
3. Ryan Getzlaf
4. Dany Heatley
5. Jarome Iginla (A)
6. Patrick Marleau
7. Brendan Morrow
8. Rick Nash
9. Corey Perry
10. Mike Richards
11. Eric Staal
12. Joe Thornton
13. Jonathan Toews
Old 12-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #664
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Awesome, glad to see Perry there. He deserved it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #665
DeToxRox
Head Coach

US roster announced:

Roster:

Backes
Brown
Callahan
Drury
Kane
Kesler
Kessel
Langenbrunner
Malone
Parise
Pavelski
Ryan
Statsny

E. Johnson
J. Johnson
Komisarek
Martin
Orpik
Rafalski
Suter

Miller
Quick
Thomas

Really hate seeing Drury and Komisarek on the team, but outside of that it's nothing I didn't see coming considering it was a Burke team.

If Ryan Miller plays sensational and the scorers score consistently (Kane, Ryan, Parise etc) they can do damage. They will for sure be fun to watch fly around out there though.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #666
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
US roster announced:

Roster:

Backes
Brown
Callahan
Drury
Kane
Kesler
Kessel
Langenbrunner
Malone
Parise
Pavelski
Ryan
Statsny

E. Johnson
J. Johnson
Komisarek
Martin
Orpik
Rafalski
Suter

Miller
Quick
Thomas

Really hate seeing Drury and Komisarek on the team, but outside of that it's nothing I didn't see coming considering it was a Burke team.

If Ryan Miller plays sensational and the scorers score consistently (Kane, Ryan, Parise etc) they can do damage. They will for sure be fun to watch fly around out there though.

Nice to see Pittsburgh born Ryan Malone make it, he is having a monster year, earning that big payday Tampa gave him last year.

Orpik is quietly having a real solid season. He'll never put up points, but he'll hit and is an excellent skater for a big body.

What will most likely be the checking line for the US, of Backes-Kesler-Brown, will be a bitch to play against.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:47 PM   #667
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
US roster announced:

I figured Tim Thomas would be the starting goalie and that assumption isn't just based on the fact that I'm a Bruins fan. If anything I thought they might rotate Miller and Thomas but not play Miller over Thomas. Tim has been off and on this year but I thought he'd be the #1 by default because of the Vezina. I thought it would be his job to lose.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #668
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I figured Tim Thomas would be the starting goalie and that assumption isn't just based on the fact that I'm a Bruins fan. If anything I thought they might rotate Miller and Thomas but not play Miller over Thomas. Tim has been off and on this year but I thought he'd be the #1 by default because of the Vezina. I thought it would be his job to lose.

Given how well Miller's played this year (perhaps the best goalie in the NHL to date), I figured that, assuming he continues to play at or near that level, he'll be the number one without a doubt.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #669
bbor
Pro Starter

Miller most Def is the starter.I would be very surprised if it were otherwise.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #670
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

for shame no Brian Gionta!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #671
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'm really trying to figure out why Ryan Whitney, tied for #1 in scoring among American defensmen (IIRC) is not even listed as one of the 6-7 alternates, much less on the team. That makes no sense to me.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #672
bbor
Pro Starter

I think D will be the downfall of this team IMHO.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #673
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
I think D will be the downfall of this team IMHO.

Just an overall talent issue? Or do you see a specific issue? Generating offense? Playing soundly in their own end? Issues with playing points on the power play?

I would say, if you think any of the above except for playing soundly in own end, leaving Whitney off makes even less sense. I wouldn't say he's some defensive dynamo, though, so if that's the issue you see, his addition probably wouldn't be any better than those already on the list.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #674
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Just an overall talent issue? Or do you see a specific issue? Generating offense? Playing soundly in their own end? Issues with playing points on the power play?

I would say, if you think any of the above except for playing soundly in own end, leaving Whitney off makes even less sense. I wouldn't say he's some defensive dynamo, though, so if that's the issue you see, his addition probably wouldn't be any better than those already on the list.

It just seem like there is any elite defnsman on that list.

E.Johnson is very young and inexperienced
J.Johnson same
Komisarek....i don't get this pick at all
Martin has only played 9 games this season
Orpik..Steady but not spectacular,does he have the speed for this level?
Rafalski..Point production is way down this season
Suter...I like this guy a lot.

I suppose the Johnsons ,Rafalski and Suter will be the top 4...not bad but 2 of the 4 are very young.Whitney definatly should be here instead on Komisarek.

Looks like a changing of the old guard team(although i would have included Modano instead of Drury to add a bit of veteran leadership).

Old 01-01-2010, 09:04 PM   #675
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Not even going to pretend I understand this move, sami maybe you can give some insight, but...

Bruins sign Miro Satan
Old 01-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #676
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

DOLA

I wonder what impact playing on NHL size ice, as opposed to international, had on the D selection?

Orpik is a really good skater for his size, but he's awful with the puck. But on the smaller ice, maybe that was seen as more important. Same reason for having Komisarek.

Whitney's skating and puck-moving probably wins out over those guys on the larger ice surface?

I do wonder about the point on the PP-- Rafalski and ??? EJ or Suter I guess.

I've always seen Rafalski as more of a complimentary (weak side) PP guy, not the QB. He's always had another guy- Lidstrom and Niedermayer-- filling that role on teams he was on.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #677
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Not even going to pretend I understand this move, sami maybe you can give some insight, but...

Bruins sign Miro Satan

Bruins are desperate for scoring because they've been in the bottom five or six in goals for the entire season. I don't think Satan is the answer but if he provides an offensive spark on the cheap it could be worth it for the Bruins. The way I see it this is a very low risk proposition for Boston...they know they need more offense. Satan could help them a little bit and this move is far more conservative than the Kovalchuk trade many fans in Boston seem to be clamoring for, especially as the season wears on.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #678
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm not a fan of the USA blueline either. Suter and the two Johnsons are good but I don't like the rest of the group. Rafalski is ok but old. Orpik and Komisarek are big bruisers that hit everything that moves. That style plays well in the NHL but I doubt it will have much impact on the more European style of an Olympic tournament. Paul Martin? Really? There's no one else? It would be interesting to see the pool of defensemen available to Team USA that were not chosen. I find it hard to believe Martin was one of the better guys available.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #679
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the USA blueline either. Suter and the two Johnsons are good but I don't like the rest of the group. Rafalski is ok but old. Orpik and Komisarek are big bruisers that hit everything that moves. That style plays well in the NHL but I doubt it will have much impact on the more European style of an Olympic tournament. Paul Martin? Really? There's no one else? It would be interesting to see the pool of defensemen available to Team USA that were not chosen. I find it hard to believe Martin was one of the better guys available.

Outside of only playing like 10 games this year, Martin seemed like an easy pick. He's vastly underrated. He doesn't do anything great, but does everything really well.

Off the top of my head, I can't come up with too many US born guys. Whitney was mentioned. Rob Scuderi and Hal Gill (know this from their Pens days). Tyler Myers and Zach Bogosian, but there are already 2 young guys in EJ and JJ.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #680
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

DOLA

This is the full version of the Crosby commercial partially shown during the Classic today. Talbot is just amazing.

Single Video Player

Also, saw this for the first time. As good as Talbot is in those A&L Motors commercials ("superstar treatment!"), this is excellent. Screams of of the Happy Gilmore Subway commercial!

(Sorry, I don't know how to embed!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hs8x8amts4
Old 01-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #681
bbor
Pro Starter

I'd take Myers or Bogosian over Komisarek in a heartbeat.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #682
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Hmmmm...not sure now about this. I know Myers was born in Texas, but apparenty he played for Canada in the WJC last year? How the hell does that work?

So maybe one less option, but two other names: Keith Ballard and Tim Gleason. But even if you like those guys, D is the weak spot for the US, no question.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #683
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'd take Bogosian, too. He's logging major minutes on that Atlanta blueline this season. He's playing in all game situations. He's more mobile than Komisarek, too. Maybe you keep both Orpik and Komisarek even though they're similar players but I don't understand why you keep Bogosian off the roster.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:48 PM   #684
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Hmmmm...not sure now about this. I know Myers was born in Texas, but apparenty he played for Canada in the WJC last year? How the hell does that work?

Myers has dual citizenship after spending much of his teen years in the Calgary area. He decided to represent Canada because, as he put it, he wouldn't be the player he is now without the training he received there.

Therefore, not eligible for the US.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:53 PM   #685
bbor
Pro Starter

US D is weak...but they may have the best G in the tourny in Miller.He may cure a lot of ills.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:15 AM   #686
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Miller most Def is the starter.I would be very surprised if it were otherwise.

I stand corrected, Miller's numbers have been fantastic this season. I don't follow Buffalo and had no idea he was playing so well.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #687
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Boogosian has been awful all month. I agree Whitney ought to have made it over Komisarek but yeah Boogosian probably blew his chance this month by playing horrendous.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #688
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

For reference:

Currently listed as alternates for the US team D:

- Matt Niskanen (Dallas)
- Ron Hainsey (Atlanta)
- Alex Goligoski (Pittsburgh)
- Matt Carle (Philadelphia)
- Rob Scuderi (Los Angeles)

Not up above or on the team but attended this past summer's camp:

Tom Gilbert (Edmonton), Tim Gleason (Carolina), Ryan Whitney (Anaheim)

There are guys on the alternate list who weren't at the camp in August (Niskanen, Goligoski, Carle).

Last edited by Chief Rum : 01-02-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #689
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I'm still a little peeved that RJ Umberger didn't get much consideration.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #690
samifan24
Pro Starter

Matt Carle has been very good for the Flyers this year, right? Any idea why his performance wasn't taken into consideration?
Old 01-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #691
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

That alternate list (and the camp invites this summer) tell you all you need to know about how Burke and Wilson feel about Jason Blake and Lee Stempniak.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #692
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Matt Carle has been very good for the Flyers this year, right? Any idea why his performance wasn't taken into consideration?

He's cooled off a bit since the early part of the season.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #693
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Gologoski is in the same boat as Carle-he started out hot in the first 15-18 games. He had 6 goals and like 15 points at that point, and something like +14.

Since that point, he missed a couple weeks with an injury, and has been replaced by Malkin on the offside point on the PP because much like everyone else in Pittsburgh, he realized it's much cooler to pass the puck around on the PP than actually shoot.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #694
bhlloy
Coordinator

I agree, some really weird decisions on that blue line for the US. Scuderi or Gleason should have been there over Komisarek who is just going to look like a dinosaur against the best players in the world and I don't how you can justify taking Martin - 2 assists in 9 games this season, even before the injury he looked pretty bad. Goligoski, Whitney or Carle would have been a much better choice for an offensively minded defensemen.

It's a shame, I really like the makeup of the US forwards as they should have 2 decent offensive lines and 2 very good shutdown lines, and they have great goalies. But the defense is just very meh.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #695
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i love all the martin haters. 2 assists in 9 games, dear god, he must be terrible

hes been one of the devils top 2 d-men for what, 3 seasons? and been on a team with a top 5 d for basically his whole career. hes a smooth skater, smart passer, and can play the point on the pp. i dont know what else youd want, really. d isnt all about stats.

that said, i think he'll end up missing the games because of his injury. but picking him was an absolute no brainer, and i cant believe how many people here think its outrageous he was selected.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #696
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
i love all the martin haters. 2 assists in 9 games, dear god, he must be terrible

hes been one of the devils top 2 d-men for what, 3 seasons? and been on a team with a top 5 d for basically his whole career. hes a smooth skater, smart passer, and can play the point on the pp. i dont know what else youd want, really. d isnt all about stats.

that said, i think he'll end up missing the games because of his injury. but picking him was an absolute no brainer, and i cant believe how many people here think its outrageous he was selected.

I agree. Martin is going to be a top 4 D for the US, with Rafalski and the Johnson's. He has to be there.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #697
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I would love to see a challenger to the NHL that went back into the old NHL markets, with some of the other markets that really want an NHL team also included (KC, Vegas, Seattle, maybe put a team back in SD)

If you start with a 12 team league (6 US, 6 Canadian) you would be looking at something like:

Winnipeg
Quebec City
Hamilton
Saskatoon?
Kitchener?
London/Windsor?
(my canadian geography is crap, some of these might not make any sense)

Kansas City
Vegas
Seattle
San Diego? (questionable but the Gulls were pretty popular and a big TV market)
Hartford
Cleveland

Get rid of the instigator and the shootout, get a deal with a TV station that is at least carried on Direct TV and cable and I think you have a pretty solid market among old school hockey fans. If nothing else it would be fun to watch Bettman squirm.

That league would scream minor league.

You'd have to get into bigger markets somehow and find a way to poach a few young stars a la USFL. Otherwise, it'd be boring. Sure, people fondly look back on the Whalers and Brass Bonzana now that they're gone, but short of the initial woo-hoo of their return, few are going to be interested in seeing a bunch of minor leaguers skate in Whalers duds unless the team managed to be the best in the league and had personalities or something. Or were owned by Jon Bon Jovi.

Or unless you could convince LeBron to own the Cleveland team and lace up the skates for them.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #698
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Reminder that tomorrow night, the USA and Canada face off for Gold in the WJC. They had a sensational game last week which Canada won, and one can only hope that they can have another great one tomorrow.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #699
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Reminder that tomorrow night, the USA and Canada face off for Gold in the WJC. They had a sensational game last week which Canada won, and one can only hope that they can have another great one tomorrow.

Is it on the NHL Network? If so, do you know what time?
Old 01-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #700
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

Canada's late comeback in that game was the inspiration for our comeback later that same night in a great game of men vs. women Cranium. We just kept saying "we're down 4-2, but we can win this!" and sure enough we made a massively improbable comeback to win.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote