Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-08-2006, 05:06 PM   #651
caspanky
Mascot

I hadn't really noticed. Of course if it's not the Sharks playing, I'm probably on the computer, and just have the game on for background noise. Hard to notice bad officials without watching.
caspanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:30 PM   #652
Galaxy
Coordinator

Come on Sabres...

The refs are letting a lot of things go.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:38 PM   #653
Galaxy
Coordinator

Gee...Nothin' pisses me off more than stupid penalties.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:45 PM   #654
Galaxy
Coordinator

Jay McKee's been in the box three times in the first period (one going into the second).
Old 05-08-2006, 07:51 PM   #655
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Interesting game.... 2-1 Sabres after two.

I haven't seen most of the game, but it looks like Miller is solidly outplaying Emery. The Sens keep making braindead giveaways... maybe Jacques Martin wasn't such a dummy after all.

The game is going to come down to an Ottawa full-court press in the third to try to tie it. That means plenty of chance on both sides. Emery is going to need to make "the save" to keep them alive, and he sure hasn't made it yet this series.

I think he makes it tonight, and the Sens win 4-2.

(I reserve the right to edit this post in about an hour.)
Old 05-08-2006, 07:52 PM   #656
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Man...seeing Connolly go down like that makes me sick to my stomach.

Poor kid...turning into a star during the playoffs and now may have to get through another concussion after missing almost two years with a previous concussion.

NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:43 PM   #657
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Complete domination by Ottawa in every facet of the game except the two most important - goaltending and the scoreboard.

Even for the most optimistic Sabres fan (me), taking two in Ottawa is off the charts amazing.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:03 PM   #658
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

GOAL DEVILS!!! 20.9 seconds left, Devils up 2-1!!
Old 05-08-2006, 09:05 PM   #659
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Dear Devils:

We can't lose to a hockey team in Carolina. We need to win another Cup before Brodeur gets too old to be our 'keeper anymore.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 05-08-2006, 09:05 PM   #660
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Holy e-ffing...!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:06 PM   #661
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Shit
Old 05-08-2006, 09:07 PM   #662
kingfc22
Head Coach

Holy Cow what a finish!!!
Old 05-08-2006, 09:08 PM   #663
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Now this game needs to go on for a good 3 OTs

SI

Old 05-08-2006, 09:13 PM   #664
Pyser
Pro Rookie

thats been a problem all year long for the devils.

i dont know the stats, but i can remember them allowing a goal when the other team pulls their goalie at least 3 times this year.

fuck.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:14 PM   #665
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I nearly hurt myself celebrating Gomez's goal (it was credited to Gomez, right?), and then I regretted it after Carolina tied it up. I don't know if my heart can handle overtime. It's been a while since I saw the Devils in an overtime playoff game. I don't remember how to deal with this.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:18 PM   #666
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
The game is going to come down to an Ottawa full-court press in the third to try to tie it. That means plenty of chance on both sides. Miller is going to need to make "the save" to keep them alive, and he sure hasn't made it yet this series.

I think he makes it tonight, and the Sabres win 2-1.
Boo-yah!
Old 05-08-2006, 09:26 PM   #667
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

w00t!

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:26 PM   #668
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Son of a!
Old 05-08-2006, 09:28 PM   #669
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Fuck.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:32 PM   #670
Pyser
Pro Rookie

if you cant hold a lead for 20 lousy seconds, you cant win the cup.

we need a scott stevens hit early in game 3 to turn this series around.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:37 PM   #671
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm not blaming the Devils' loss on Ken Klee, but can we send him back to Toronto? With the exception of a goal in the Rangers series, I haven't seen him do anything noteworthy at all.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:46 PM   #672
kingfc22
Head Coach

Goal!!!!!
Old 05-08-2006, 09:53 PM   #673
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I'm not blaming the Devils' loss on Ken Klee, but can we send him back to Toronto?
No.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:01 PM   #674
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Interesting game.... 2-1 Sabres after two.

I haven't seen most of the game, but it looks like Miller is solidly outplaying Emery. The Sens keep making braindead giveaways... maybe Jacques Martin wasn't such a dummy after all.

The game is going to come down to an Ottawa full-court press in the third to try to tie it. That means plenty of chance on both sides. Emery is going to need to make "the save" to keep them alive, and he sure hasn't made it yet this series.

I think he makes it tonight, and the Sens win 4-2.

(I reserve the right to edit this post in about an hour.)

And that is why...nobody listens...

Old 05-08-2006, 10:13 PM   #675
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I'm not blaming the Devils' loss on Ken Klee, but can we send him back to Toronto? With the exception of a goal in the Rangers series, I haven't seen him do anything noteworthy at all.

miss colin white yet, buddy?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:13 PM   #676
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz
And that is why...nobody listens...
If you're listening to a guy named Maple Leafs talk about the NHL playoffs, you have nobody to blame but yourself.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:15 PM   #677
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

LOL!
Old 05-08-2006, 10:20 PM   #678
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
If you're listening to a guy named Maple Leafs talk about the NHL playoffs, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Old 05-08-2006, 10:35 PM   #679
bbor
Pro Starter

[quote=Pumpy Tudors]Ken Klee, [quote]

Who?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:38 PM   #680
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I nearly hurt myself celebrating Gomez's goal (it was credited to Gomez, right?), and then I regretted it after Carolina tied it up. I don't know if my heart can handle overtime. It's been a while since I saw the Devils in an overtime playoff game. I don't remember how to deal with this.

Funny, I had the exact opposite reactions on both goals. Imagine that.

Even so, we got lucky. It's what we've been scoring with this series. All kinds of crazy pinballing shots have gone in so far. Probably the reason why we keep shooting as much as we do.

I'll be pleased as punch if we can scrape one out of two in Jersey. Game three will definitely tell the story. If the Devils bounce back, the series could go the distance. If they don't, it may be over in 4 or 5.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:43 AM   #681
Vince
Pro Starter

Wow -- watching the Sharks kill a 5-on-3 when two of their guys had broken sticks was absurd. The Tank must have been rocking like no other.

Great job to win the two opening games, now lets pull out game three and really put the pressure on.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:45 AM   #682
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Wow -- watching the Sharks kill a 5-on-3 when two of their guys had broken sticks was absurd. The Tank must have been rocking like no other.

Great job to win the two opening games, now lets pull out game three and really put the pressure on.

It was very unfortunate that Edmonton scored at the very end of that sequence. I was going nuts and I think my cat used up one of its nine lives.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:46 AM   #683
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
It was very unfortunate that Edmonton scored at the very end of that sequence. I was going nuts and I think my cat used up one of its nine lives.

A few of the people sitting at my bar were staring at me funny when I started hollering at the TV, which was muted.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:22 AM   #684
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A few of the people sitting at my bar were staring at me funny when I started hollering at the TV, which was muted.

Cool- you're taking those first steps towards become ranting old guy

SI

Old 05-09-2006, 07:50 AM   #685
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

That was a pretty astounding sequence there. I was going nuts and I don't really care about either team.

The Buffalo/Ottawa series is a treat to watch. So much skill and speed out there. Miller's save on the Spezza "breakaway" was fantastic.

I worry about the Devils. They are coming home, but it will be tough to come back after a loss like that.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:43 AM   #686
Simms
FOBL Commish

Slightly off-topic in that it isn't game-related, but I was reading Kukla's blog yesterday and came across a blurb from Stan Fischler:

Quote:
Detroit captain STEVE YZERMAN squeezed an extra year – as well as millions – out of the Red Wings. And more power to him. But Detroit’s near-eternal captain must realize that enough IS enough. Yzerman should graciously call it a career while the calling still is good. Nor would it hurt the Wings if he persuaded teammate Chris Chelios to exit Stage Right along with him. After all, there IS such a thing as wearing out one’s welcome.

Now, Fischler has had me scratching my head plenty in recent years (advancing senility?), but this struck me as absolutely asinine. The Chelios part I can understand, sure, but does anyone really think it's conceiveable that Yzerman could "wear out his welcome" in Detroit?
Old 05-09-2006, 10:02 AM   #687
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms
Slightly off-topic in that it isn't game-related, but I was reading Kukla's blog yesterday and came across a blurb from Stan Fischler:

Now, Fischler has had me scratching my head plenty in recent years (advancing senility?), but this struck me as absolutely asinine. The Chelios part I can understand, sure, but does anyone really think it's conceiveable that Yzerman could "wear out his welcome" in Detroit?

No. As Vizzini would say it's "Inconceiveable!"

There have been a few articles in the local papers that have sort of danced around this issue without ever coming out and saying. They have put it in terms of the young players not being able to take a more active leadership role while in the shadow of Yzerman. It's not like he's actively keeping them down, but more like no one will sort of "step up" and try to take the reins while Yzerman is around. No one locally has called for his retirement, they aren't that stupid and know the situation a little better than Fischler.

Yzerman was one of the Wings' best forwards in the playoffs and the last month or so of the regular season. So long as his body holds up, he's still got enough to make a decent contribution to the team. This really isn't an issue at all of Yzerman trying to "squeeze an extra year - as well as millions - out of the Wings." (Note: Yzerman's salary this year was only $1.25 million. I don't think that counts as "millions".)

So long as Yzerman wants to play, he will be welcome in Detroit. Once he doesn't think he can really contribute to the team either because he's just lost a step or can't do it physically anymore, he'll bow out. I am pretty confident in that.

Fischler can blow me.

As for Chelios, given how much he played this year and at a consistently high level, at $850,000, he was worth it. I wouldn't be surprised if the Wings didn't re-sign him, but he wasn't a liability on the ice and is one of the few Wings' players to actually play with an edge.

Since we're talking about Yzerman: Happy 41st Birthday, Stevie Y!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-09-2006, 11:21 AM   #688
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

oh crap:

"Three months after breaking his right ankle, Avalanche defenceman Ossi Vaananen took part in his second full-contact practice Monday and the 25 year-old physical blueliner is hoping to soon be cleared to join the Avalanche for its Western Conference semifinal series against Anaheim."

worst. news. ever.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:43 AM   #689
bbor
Pro Starter

Is he the Aki Berg of Colorado?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:26 PM   #690
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Is he the Aki Berg of Colorado?

well, I'm not that familiar with Berg. Is Berg supposed to be physical, which manifests itself only in lazy penalties behind the net? Will Berg refuse to even take a swipe at an opponent harrassing his goalie after the whistle? Does Berg have "great speed", and yet often can't catch up to forwards on breakaways? Does Berg have severe difficulty handling the puck when pinching in? Does Berg make terrible, sloppy passes in his own zone? Does he inexplicably get paired with Patrice Brisebois to double the "oh shit" factor? Can he not shoot, pass, skate, body check, or pretty much anything that would make him a useful NHL player? And, best of all, did you trade Derek Morris and Keith Ballard to get him?

if so, then yes, he is the Aki Berg of Colorado.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:08 PM   #691
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Another thing from last night. Prior to the overtime starting, OLN showed Brodeur's playoff OT record: 8-18. After the game last night he's a whopping 8-19 in playoff OTs. How is that? Brodeur is one of the best goalies of all time. Why is his OT record so bad? Very strange.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:11 PM   #692
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
well, I'm not that familiar with Berg. Is Berg supposed to be physical, which manifests itself only in lazy penalties behind the net? Will Berg refuse to even take a swipe at an opponent harrassing his goalie after the whistle? Does Berg have "great speed", and yet often can't catch up to forwards on breakaways? Does Berg have severe difficulty handling the puck when pinching in? Does Berg make terrible, sloppy passes in his own zone? Does he inexplicably get paired with Patrice Brisebois to double the "oh shit" factor? Can he not shoot, pass, skate, body check, or pretty much anything that would make him a useful NHL player? And, best of all, did you trade Derek Morris and Keith Ballard to get him?
That doesn't sound like Aki Berg.

Can we trade you Aki Berg for that guy?
Old 05-09-2006, 01:13 PM   #693
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
That doesn't sound like Aki Berg.

Can we trade you Aki Berg for that guy?

We already got a better deal for him.

(He quit the NHL and went home to Finland.)
Old 05-09-2006, 01:22 PM   #694
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms
We already got a better deal for him.

(He quit the NHL and went home to Finland.)
Yes, but did we get his passport? How de we know he won't come back?
Old 05-09-2006, 01:55 PM   #695
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yes, but did we get his passport? How de we know he won't come back?

We signed a no landing agreement with any flights originating from Finland.

Old 05-09-2006, 02:01 PM   #696
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Ossi is Finnish also. coincidence?
Old 05-09-2006, 02:27 PM   #697
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Just what the NHL needs, Carolina to win the Cup when the previous winner was Tampa Bay.

Sheesh. Let's go Devils.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:34 PM   #698
Pyser
Pro Rookie

man. the devils loss STILL hurts. really hurts.

that said, i cant fucking wait for tomorrow's game. i havent been this excited for a game since game 7 devs-ducks. and i may be even more excited. if the devils are half as pumped as i am, it's a win.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:39 PM   #699
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

great game in Colorado tonight - going to OT.

Theodore has made some amazing stops and Lupul has a hat trick for the Ducks. Patrice Brisebois made a great defensive play (really!).

Pierre Turgeon looks really, really old and Alex Tanguay looks completely disinterested.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:44 PM   #700
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
Pierre Turgeon looks really, really old and Alex Tanguay looks completely disinterested.
I can't comment on Tanguay (haven't really paid attention to him since I turned the game on), but I can't believe that Pierre Turgeon is "only" 36 years old. I feel like I've been hearing his name for my entire life.

Now that I think about it, he's in his 18th season, so I have been hearing his name for my entire time as a hockey fan. That's really creepy to me.