Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #651
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post

The picks:

Princeton -13 at Cornell. This line is criminally low. Cornell is that bad.

And the big one...

Princeton started on a 15-0 run
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #652
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

digamma- you should write a blog for Ivy League ball. You passion and knowledge of the league really comes across in your writing. I enjoy your write ups.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #653
nol
Banned

Super good writeup on Tommy Amaker today: Higher Education: How basketball coach Tommy Amaker has transformed Harvard - SBNation.com
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:19 PM   #654
BillyNYC
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Ended up being a 22-0 run, en route to a 40-point home loss.

Penn@Cornell tomorrow should be epic. Wonder if both teams can forfeit?

Also wonder what it would take for Cornell to fire a coach before the end of his contract (runs until next year). 2-25 (including 1 win vs a D-3 school), 40 point home loss...at some point, he has to be gone, right?

(Opinion of someone closer to the program on Cornell's basketball blog is that they'd never fire someone before end of contract, due to lack of funding.)
BillyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:08 PM   #655
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
digamma, first off, love your ivy league takes and previews.

Let me pass on one piece of advice from an old timer.
Never take an underdog with the points that you don't expect to win outright.

Thanks.

Well, this one was a bit tongue in cheek or superstitious. As a Harvard fan, I felt very good going into the game, but wanted to hedge a bit. Silly, I know.

Quote:

That honestly would have been a 5 star pick of the year if I were a tout.

Quote:
digamma- you should write a blog for Ivy League ball. You passion and knowledge of the league really comes across in your writing. I enjoy your write ups.

Thanks. There are a couple of guys who do that. I don't have the time to really devote to it, but try to add a few thoughts here and there.

So, yeah, tonight was great. Harvard jumped out to a 16-2 lead and Amaker really showed his ability to adjust his game plan. The lead was built on a lot of high screen work with slips to the basket. I think the closest Yale got was 9 all night. It would have been a complete laugher, but Harvard shot 14-32 from the FT line. Still really happy for this team. Depending on matchups, I really believe they can win a couple of games in the tournament. A win tomorrow night and I think they could push for an 11 seed.

In the other games, Princeton won by 40 and Columbia blew out Penn. The shocker was Dartmouth upsetting Brown. Disappointing for my Brown just covers mantra, but also because Sean McGonnagill is one of the fun guys to watch in the league and it looks like he'll finish 7-7 in Ivy play with no post-season tournament.

Tomorrow we have (lines won't come out until the morning and I have some early morning kid obligations):

Harvard vs. Brown. I think Harvard will be focused to finish the season and should win the game.

Cornell vs. Penn. Penn will win a freaking ugly basketball game.

Yale vs. Dartmouth. Yale should bounce back and beat Dartmouth. Justin Sears is a really good player.

Princeton vs. Columbia. This is the game of the night and should be really tight. I would probably take Columbia at home, but could honestly see this going either way.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:45 AM   #656
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyNYC View Post
(Opinion of someone closer to the program on Cornell's basketball blog is that they'd never fire someone before end of contract, due to lack of funding.)
Wow. How bad is the alumni network? Even if you don't have the H/Y endowment, it just takes 1 alumnus to care enough. Maybe they're waiting until Steve Donahue is officially available again.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #657
BillyNYC
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Wow. How bad is the alumni network? Even if you don't have the H/Y endowment, it just takes 1 alumnus to care enough. Maybe they're waiting until Steve Donahue is officially available again.

Basketball is maybe 4th in popularity on campus (behind hockey, football, and lacrosse for sure; maybe even wrestling). Attendance last night was a whopping 1,017.

Am not privvy to the financial strength of the alumni network, but historically it's never been notable (especially compared to hockey and lax). It's a shame that a run of 3 NCAA appearances and the Sweet 16 run might not have changed that at all. Was only 4 years ago, but it's like it never happened.
BillyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #658
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyNYC View Post
Basketball is maybe 4th in popularity on campus (behind hockey, football, and lacrosse for sure; maybe even wrestling). Attendance last night was a whopping 1,017.

Given the record, I'd say they're lucky it wasn't 117.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:25 PM   #659
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Did Kansas forget to set their alarm today? Yikes.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #660
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Did Kansas forget to set their alarm today? Yikes.

I was about to come in and post that since this game is just getting stupid

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #661
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

That should end all talks of a 1 seed for them. 8 losses ever get a 1 seed before?

That leaves Nova, Wisconsin and Virginia for the last 1 seed..imo
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:33 PM   #662
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Crazy rally with Wiggins going off for 41 but Kansas falls short. WVU probably has to make the Big XII title game to have a shot at the NCAA tourney, tho.

SI

Old 03-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #663
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Crazy rally with Wiggins going off for 41 but Kansas falls short. WVU probably has to make the Big XII title game to have a shot at the NCAA tourney, tho.

SI

Wow. Big XII basketball has reached SEC football levels of overhype if that is the case. Look at West Virginia's OOC results. No way should that team sniff the tournament with 14 losses.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #664
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Wow. Big XII basketball has reached SEC football levels of overhype if that is the case. Look at West Virginia's OOC results. No way should that team sniff the tournament with 14 losses.

No team has every received an at-large bid with 14 or more losses. They have to win the title to get a bid. No way they're getting an at-large bid.

To be fair, the notion of KU even getting a #1 seed is a bit ridiculous. They have 8 losses. I don't care what conference you're in or who you've faced, that's not a #1 seed resume.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-08-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #665
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I thought that was silly to begin with. Arizona and Florida pretty much have #1s locked up. Even if Arizona lost today and to start the Pac tourney, they should have a #1. I think if Wichita State wins the MVC tourney, you have to give them a #1.

After that, it gets interesting. I think Nova should get it unless they suffer some embarrassing loss in the Big East tourney. Virginia or Syracuse have a shot if they win the ACC tourney and Wisconsin is also in the mix if they win the Big Ten. I think Duke and Kansas have to have a ceiling of 2 right now and I don't see another team with a real shot to hit that 1 line.

SI

Old 03-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #666
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
No team has every received an at-large bid with 14 or more losses. They have to win the title to get a bid. No way they're getting an at-large bid.

To be fair, the notion of KU even getting a #1 seed is a bit ridiculous. They have 8 losses. I don't care what conference you're in or who you've faced, that's not a #1 seed resume.

In 2011 alone Michigan St, Penn St, Tenn, Marquette and USC were at large teams with 14 or more losses. I am guessing that list is much larger if I had actually looked at more than a couple of seasons.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-08-2014 at 03:12 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #667
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post

NCAA College Basketball RPI Rankings - ESPN
Yeah, that's probably more accurate. I was looking too closely at the conference results and while they were 9-9 with some good wins but only Baylor was a road win. Their best win was William & Mary (oof) with losses to Gonzaga, Wisconsin, Mizzou, Purdue, and Virginia Tech (blech).

As for the bolded, there's a long way to go for that. It takes a decade of ESPN money protecting its own interests to reach that mountaintop.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-08-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #668
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I thought that was silly to begin with. Arizona and Florida pretty much have #1s locked up. Even if Arizona lost today and to start the Pac tourney, they should have a #1. I think if Wichita State wins the MVC tourney, you have to give them a #1.

After that, it gets interesting. I think Nova should get it unless they suffer some embarrassing loss in the Big East tourney. Virginia or Syracuse have a shot if they win the ACC tourney and Wisconsin is also in the mix if they win the Big Ten. I think Duke and Kansas have to have a ceiling of 2 right now and I don't see another team with a real shot to hit that 1 line.

SI

Agree, I think that 4th spot will come down to which team out of the ones you mention do the best in their conference tournys. I wonder if Wichita St isnt already locked in as a #1 with the not so great #1 seed resumes this year.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #669
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

What. A. Shot.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #670
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Great 3 at the buzzer off of a rare missed Forte FT and Iowa State sends the game to OT vs. Okie State
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 03-08-2014 at 03:12 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:53 PM   #671
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Boy, Mizzou couldn't have come out flatter if they planned it. Going to need at least three wins in the tourney after this mess.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:12 PM   #672
Atocep
Coordinator

I'm not expecting a NCAA bid for WVU. The meltdowns against Gonzaga and Virginia Tech are likely what keeps them out. As I said at the beginning of the season, it's a much better team than last year's disaster, but still a year away. They're one of the youngest teams in the country and every player returns next year unless Staten goes pro. Huggins is also coaching with 9 scholarship players this year. Next year he should have a full 13 with Jonathan Holton and Elijah Macon coming in to help the lack of post defense this year.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #673
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Great 3 at the buzzer off of a rare missed Forte FT and Iowa State sends the game to OT vs. Okie State

I had no idea how often the TV cameras showed a couple of close family friends from my hometown at the Iowa State games. If you've ever seen a couple of curly-haired girls with really light blonde hair in the Cyclone student section, that's them.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #674
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina has survived to make the finals of the Big South tournament as the #1 seed from the Southern Division, but it wasn't easy. They beat Charleston Southern in Double OT, then held on with a nailbiter against VMI in their last game in the Big South. Their reward is a date with the #4 seed in the North-Winthrop.

Winthrop hasn't been much of a factor in the Big South since now 32-0 Gregg Marshall led Wichita State was the head coach there. But they remain a thorn in Coastal's side nonetheless. They swept Coastal this season and beat Coastal back in 2011 on Coastal's home court (like this matchup) for the Big South Tournament title.

Wasn't expecting Coastal to get to the Finals let alone win the title, so will be quite shocked if they pull it off. Well find out at noon tomorrow on ESPN.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:35 PM   #675
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Wow, Illinois pulls off a nice win @ Iowa... and Iowa's downward spiral continues.

(I guess there is still .3 seconds left and down three as they review clock)
Old 03-08-2014, 10:32 PM   #676
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

SI

If Wisconsin is somehow in the mix, I don't see why people are sleeping on Louisville, who absolutely mauled UConn. The only glaring loss is to UK and Memphis seems to have their number but who is at least credible. I'm still interested to see Wisconsin possibly go through MSU and then Michigan since I assume Michigan will be the #1 seed with Wisconsin #2 and MSU #3.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:33 PM   #677
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
Wow, Illinois pulls off a nice win @ Iowa... and Iowa's downward spiral continues.

(I guess there is still .3 seconds left and down three as they review clock)

Coming off the savage beatdown by Wolverines earlier in week, was nice to see them compete tonight.

Not sure what seed they will end up with in BTT, but going to have to go through either UM or Wisky if they win play-in game and neither one seems promising for Illini. Not sure 19-14 (play-in win assumption might be a leap) even gets NIT, but at least the team seems to have gathered themselves over last month while playing younger guys more.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:50 PM   #678
MrBug708
Head Coach

Steve Alford...ugh
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:26 AM   #679
whomario
Pro Starter

Way to make your last home game memorable, Doug McDermott
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #680
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
If Wisconsin is somehow in the mix, I don't see why people are sleeping on Louisville, who absolutely mauled UConn. The only glaring loss is to UK and Memphis seems to have their number but who is at least credible. I'm still interested to see Wisconsin possibly go through MSU and then Michigan since I assume Michigan will be the #1 seed with Wisconsin #2 and MSU #3.

Gotta defend the Badgers here (say whaaaat? ):

Louisville's best wins are @ SMU and @ Cinci.

Wisconsin has wins vs Florida, @ Virginia, MSU, @ Michigan and two vs Iowa, all of whom are better than SMU and Cinci per KenPom.

Badgers are 11-2 away from home vs Louisville's 9-3.

Then RPI says Badgers 5-1 vs Top 25 and Louisville 1-3 vs Top 25. That's just the start AAC is the 7th or so best conference in country and B1G as odd as it has been this year is still a top two conference. Hopefully the tourney isn't a let down like it is for CFB Bowl Games.

BUT, I WILL SAY THIS: Louisville could very well be a #1 seed per kenPom and they're definitely a team that I don't want in my bracket if I'm the Badgers. If the Badgers get a 2/3 I want Louisville to be the same seed as WI so that we're in different brackets entirely.

Last edited by mauchow : 03-09-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #681
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Steve Alford...ugh

No one goes in to Pullman and pushes the Cougs around! (well, except the rest of the PAC 12)
Old 03-09-2014, 09:17 AM   #682
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

OK, I was wrong on Mizzou having to win three games in the tournament. If they advance Thursday and then beat Floriday on Friday, they're in.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #683
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
OK, I was wrong on Mizzou having to win three games in the tournament. If they advance Thursday and then beat Floriday on Friday, they're in.

In other words, have fun in the NIT Mizzou?
Old 03-09-2014, 09:38 AM   #684
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
In other words, have fun in the NIT Mizzou?

I prefer to see it as a two game window of opportunity.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #685
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Interesting Bracket Matrix seed vs KenPom Ranking(and I know things are bound to change from now and then):

Ohio St - 7 seed, KenPom #13 which translates to a 4. That'd be a bummer matchup for Duke/Nova/Cuse/Kansas in Round 2 (the REAL round 2). But Ohio St's offense sucks this year so, perhaps not such a big deal for those teams that play good defense, aka Kansas/Cuse/Nova. Duke-Ohio St would be an interesting round two matchup. Elite Offense vs Elite Defense, poor defense vs poor offense. But I'm a firm believer that a team steps up their defensive efforts in the NCAA's thus making defensive efficiency's tough to gauge.

Louisville 4 seed(Kenpom #2)(this is really likely to change to a 2/3 seed): That'd be a seriously craptastic matchup for the 1 seed in that region.

Texas 5 seed (likely to drop a spot), Kenpom #40 = 10 seed which = 12 over 5 or 11 over 6 'upset' pick.

Tennessee 12 seed: #12 in KenPom. Talk about a classic 12 over 5 pick or possibly 11/6 pick. Sorry to the UConns, St Louis' of the world that get that 5/6 seed and gets to face Tenn in first round.

Iowa (I'm dropping them two spots from BM) a 9 seed (and inching closer to 10/11): #17 on Kenpom and dropping quickly. Still that translates to a 5 seed and that is going to make for a fun second round game vs a #1 Seed like Arizona who plays great defense and only just recently started picking up the pace on offense.

I am bored so I am just looking for potential exciting matchups in the first weekend.

What will make this tournament even more exciting is there is no 2013 Louisville in this year's field. Last year, Louisville was REALLY REALLY great.

Does Stephen F Austin make it if they lose their tourney?

Last edited by mauchow : 03-09-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:12 AM   #686
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Curious if Green Bay makes it in now.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:29 AM   #687
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Reports that Joel Embiid is heading to California to see a back specialist.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #688
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Curious if Green Bay makes it in now.

Logic says no unfortunately. They had two guys get hurt one of which was their best player miss a majority of the game last night. I think they'll be sweating it out selection sunday and not get the nod.

Last edited by mauchow : 03-09-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #689
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal up by 10 over Winthrop midway through the first quarter on ESPN2
Old 03-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #690
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wow. Let the foul/don't foul debate begin.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #691
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Unreal, Virginia ties it up at the buzzer!!

Last edited by mauchow : 03-09-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #692
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Wow. Let the foul/don't foul debate begin.

Yeah, that was pretty nicely executed there at the end by Virginia. A lot of luck is involved for things to go correctly in these situations with just two seconds left. Make first free throw, somehow get the rebound on the second one.

I think Virginia gets off a tough contested three that would have had less than a 25% chance of going in. Which scenario has a better chance of happening to tie it?

Last edited by mauchow : 03-09-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:24 PM   #693
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like Maryland is going to win it in OT. Fear the Turtle!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #694
Thomkal
Head Coach

For the first time in 21 years, Coastal Carolina is going Dancing! Beat a very tired looking Winthrop who had to play an extra game, by double digits and about the closest they came to coming back was 8 or 9 points. This is one of the least unlikely Coastal teams to make it to the NCAA's since I've been a fan I think.

But they benefited from a weak Big South with no dominant team, and playing at home in their shiny new arena for the tournament championship. Nearly didn't make it past their first game even with that advantage. Likely will get a #16 seed it appears, and it would be a personal thrill to see them draw a #1 Wichita State given the history Coach Gregg Marshall has with the Big South. Unlikely that happens though and unlikely Coastal stays within 30 points of whomever they draw.

But who cares, they are in!
Old 03-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #695
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
For the first time in 21 years, Coastal Carolina is going Dancing! Beat a very tired looking Winthrop who had to play an extra game, by double digits and about the closest they came to coming back was 8 or 9 points. This is one of the least unlikely Coastal teams to make it to the NCAA's since I've been a fan I think.

But they benefited from a weak Big South with no dominant team, and playing at home in their shiny new arena for the tournament championship. Nearly didn't make it past their first game even with that advantage. Likely will get a #16 seed it appears, and it would be a personal thrill to see them draw a #1 Wichita State given the history Coach Gregg Marshall has with the Big South. Unlikely that happens though and unlikely Coastal stays within 30 points of whomever they draw.

Way to go, Chanticleers!
Old 03-09-2014, 01:45 PM   #696
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

Wichita State is an awfully tough team. Their cohesion levels are off the charts.

I'll be rooting for your team to be that first #16 to get a win!
Old 03-09-2014, 03:03 PM   #697
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

St Louis @ UMass a good finish..

Wow, St Louis pulls it off to end their skid! Jett with a nice drive to the hoop and surprisingly UMass doesn't call a timeout to draw something up but you can argue that you might not get as good a look as they got.

Time to see if Wichita can go down now and really help the Badgers out

Last edited by mauchow : 03-09-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #698
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Indiana St really extending this game out.. already starting to foul with still three minutes to go and down 9..

Now 11.

Edit: now 8 pt game

Last edited by mauchow : 03-09-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:22 PM   #699
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Oh, man, killer 3 by WSU and followed up with another 3 from Indiana St seconds later. Still 8 pt game lol!

And WSU is dancing! .... They win easily in the end.

Last edited by mauchow : 03-09-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #700
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Rick Barnes wins Big 12 Coach of the Year
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote