Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #651
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
What's the stupid law?

that you can get off murdering someone if you feel they may have theoretically threatened you.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #652
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Idiotic to have announced the verdict at this time of night however. I feel for the law enforcement that may have a long night ahead
Old 07-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #653
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Verdict reached
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #654
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Idiotic to have announced the verdict at this time of night however. I feel for the law enforcement that may have a long night ahead

what about the jurors? if they dont announce they have to stay in. Cops choose the job, jurors get stuck with it.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 07-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #655
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
that you can get off murdering someone if you feel they may have theoretically threatened you.

There are only two people who had any idea what happened that night. One is gone and there isn't even close to enough evidence to say beyond a reasonable doubt what happened that night. It sucks but it is what it is -- a bad combination of two people at the wrong time and place, that ended badly.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #656
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Glad the jury ha the guts to make he correct decision.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #657
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I guess everybody wanted to get out. Not Guilty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
There are only two people who had any idea what happened that night. One is gone and there isn't even close to enough evidence to say beyond a reasonable doubt what happened that night. It sucks but it is what it is -- a bad combination of two people at the wrong time and place, that ended badly.

Yep. Agree. It was the right decision, imo.

Last edited by Galaxy : 07-13-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #658
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I was referring to the short period of time between when the announcement of the jury reaching the verdict and the verdict being read.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #659
SackAttack
Head Coach

So, speaking very generally - which case has more long-term political fallout: Bush v. Gore in 2000, or Florida v. Zimmerman?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #660
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I was referring to the short period of time between when the announcement of the jury reaching the verdict and the verdict being read.

Oh, I was confused. Thanks for the clarification. I agree, I missed the verdict being read because it's usually at least a hour or so before these things are read.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #661
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
So, speaking very generally - which case has more long-term political fallout: Bush v. Gore in 2000, or Florida v. Zimmerman?

gotta say bush gore. SCOTUS justices matter more than anything that can fall out from this. even if the riots are OJ bad.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 07-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #662
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

This case really wasn't that big of a deal. Media did latch on and it was interesting, but these things happen a lot. Bush v Gore had historical implications and Supreme Court justices going against their own principles on both sides.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #663
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Not surprising.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #664
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

BvG, not even close best I can figure.

Reax to FvZ will largely fall along existing lines anyway, might get a minor localized bump in turnout or something but that's minimal compared to something like BvG.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #665
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post

Very few people were ever found guitlty of 2nd degree murder in a self defense case. The thing that stuck with me most about the trial was the cop who said he told Zimmerman he had a video and Zimmerman's reaction was "thank God".

Of every piece of evidence, that is either one hell of an actor or a guy who truly felt the video would prove him innocent. I dont think this was a problem with a law, this was a problem with proof. They had none. No law would change that fact.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #666
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Very few people were ever found guitlty of 2nd degree murder in a self defense case. The thing that stuck with me most about the trial was the cop who said he told Zimmerman he had a video and Zimmerman's reaction was "thank God".

Of every piece of evidence, that is either one hell of an actor or a guy who truly felt the video would prove him innocent. I dont think this was a problem with a law, this was a problem with proof. They had none. No law would change that fact.

This.

The case should have never even gone this far. The Martin family attorney played a masterful PR game to get the media focus.

I'd think given the evidence that he would have been found innocent in more states than just Florida.

The specific stand your ground law is apparently poorly written to the point it can be abused, but I don't think this is an example of that.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #667
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
The specific stand your ground law is apparently poorly written to the point it can be abused, but I don't think this is an example of that.

They didn't use the 'Stand Your Ground' law as their defense.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #668
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
They didn't use the 'Stand Your Ground' law as their defense.

Interesting. I assumed that would have been part of the self defense case. Or even just jury instructions.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #669
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sidebar but ... was talking to a friend about the difficulty in avoiding coverage of the trial/reax (they were trying) when I stumble onto espn.com & find the 6th headline as "Athletes react to verdict" or something of that nature.

When Vilma comes off as the relatively sane voice of reason, well ...

edit to add: And what a sad state of affairs when cobbling together tweets is considered newsgathering

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-13-2013 at 10:57 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #670
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #671
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
edit to add: And what a sad state of affairs when cobbling together tweets is considered newsgathering

It seems like this has been CNN's model for a couple years now, and recently I'm noticing it more and more on ESPN, its pretty disheartening.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:14 PM   #672
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
It seems like this has been CNN's model for a couple years now, and recently I'm noticing it more and more on ESPN, its pretty disheartening.

Yeah, but look at all the money they save! They are cutting costs! More profitable! It's the wave of the future! WOOOHOOO!

Like Steam?

Old 07-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #673
SackAttack
Head Coach

That and when you can pluck it off twitter there's none of this 'off the record' or 'my words were twisted' nonsense.

Screenshots.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #674
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
That and when you can pluck it off twitter there's none of this 'off the record' or 'my words were twisted' nonsense.

Screenshots.

My account was hacked - every jack ass ever caught sending a stupid tweet
Old 07-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #675
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
My account was hacked - every jack ass ever caught sending a stupid tweet

Why hasn't anyone who has been banned figured this out yet? Mrs.Kippy was hacked! OMG! What do we do now!

Like Steam?

Old 07-13-2013, 11:43 PM   #676
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Sidebar but ... was talking to a friend about the difficulty in avoiding coverage of the trial/reax (they were trying) when I stumble onto espn.com & find the 6th headline as "Athletes react to verdict" or something of that nature.

When Vilma comes off as the relatively sane voice of reason, well ...

Just read the tweets. Good lord. This is going to be like the McDonalds coffeee situation. Anyone who actually bothered to look at the evidence is goimg to realize the rught decision was made. Anyone who devides guilt or innocense through the media will think that the jury was full of idiots.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #677
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Smh. Go looking for justice and find just us.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #678
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post

It should have never gone to trial.

Last edited by Galaxy : 07-14-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #679
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
It should have never gone to trial.

Your opinion.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:34 AM   #680
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Your opinion.

Also the chief of police opinion before they fired him because he would not arrest and charge Zimmerman.

If we want to bring up race in this at all, it should be that many African Americans do not get the fair trial Zimmerman received. The focus should be making sure everyone gets a fair trial and that reasonable doubt is used correctly no matter what color you are or what state you are in.

The debate should not be that you put a hispanic guy behind bars despite the facts not adding up.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #681
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
There are only two people who had any idea what happened that night. One is dead and there isn't even close to enough evidence to say beyond a reasonable doubt what happened that night. It sucks but it is what it is -- a bad combination of two people at the wrong time and place, that ended badly.

Minor but important clarification.

So at what point does the Martin family file the wrongful death lawsuit a la the Goldman family?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #682
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Minor but important clarification.

So at what point does the Martin family file the wrongful death lawsuit a la the Goldman family?

They have already settled the civil suit.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:45 AM   #683
cartman
Death Herald

There was a pretty strong case to argue for manslaughter, but it was a stretch to push 2nd Degree Murder.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #684
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
They have already settled the civil suit.

IIRC that lawsuit was against the Homeowners Association and Zimmerman was not a part of that one.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 07-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #685
cartman
Death Herald

It was against the HOA since they were using Zimmerman on the community watch. They said at the time of the HOA settlement they also planned to pursue a separate suit against Zimmerman, but it doesn't look like there has been any action on that front.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:52 AM   #686
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
IIRC that lawsuit was against the Homeowners Association and Zimmerman was not a part of that one.

I could be 3000 percent wrong on this, but I thought I read something that if someone admitted to the killing and got off by self defense, they could not be held civily liable in Florida.

What I have heard the family and naacp pushing for is that Zimmerman be charged with violating Martin's civil rights. I doubt very seriously those charges are ever given. Just my opinion, nothing surprises me anymore.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:58 AM   #687
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
I could be 3000 percent wrong on this, but I thought I read something that if someone admitted to the killing and got off by self defense, they could not be held civily liable in Florida.

What I have heard the family and naacp pushing for is that Zimmerman be charged with violating Martin's civil rights. I doubt very seriously those charges are ever given. Just my opinion, nothing surprises me anymore.

That immunity I believe was tied to the 'stand your ground' defense, which he decided not to use.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:58 AM   #688
Jukeman
Mascot

I wonder if GZ ID himself as a night watchmen? Apparently TM doesn't have a right to defend himself but instead should had ran home but yet the same isn't said about GZ? He apparently had a right to kill someone after loosing a fight.

Anyways, I am not surprise with the way this case have gone. It was based on agenda from the get go.
Jukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:05 AM   #689
miami_fan
Coordinator

Parents Of Trayvon Martin Settle Lawsuit With Sanford Housing Community « CBS Miami

Quote:
Quote:
SANFORD (CBS4/AP) — A confidential settlement was reached in the wrongful death claim between the parents of a Miami teenager and the homeowners association of the Florida subdivision where their son was killed.

The Orlando Sentinel reported Friday that an attorney for Trayvon Martin’s parents — Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin — filed that paperwork in Seminole County and that portions of it were made available for public review Friday.

According to the newspaper, the settlement amount was marked out in five pages that it reviewed. Lower in the agreement, the parties specify that they will keep the amount confidential.

Benjamin Crump, the attorney for Trayvon Martin’s parents, declined to comment Friday. He told The Associated Press that the filing was confidential.

A telephone message left Friday evening by AP with the homeowner association’s attorney, Thomas R. Slaten Jr., wasn’t immediately returned.

Martin was fatally shot in February, 2012 by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman during a confrontation in a subdivision in Sanford, about 30 miles north of Orlando.

A month-and-a-half delay in Zimmerman’s arrest led to nationwide protests in the racially charged case.

Zimmerman has been charged with second-degree murder in Martin’s death. Zimmerman claims he was attacked and acted in self-defense, but Martin’s family claims he targeted the unarmed 17-year-old mainly because Martin was black. Zimmerman’s parents are white and Hispanic.

Under the terms of the settlement, Trayvon Martin’s parents and his estate agreed to set aside their wrongful-death claim and claims for pain and suffering, loss of earnings and expenses, the Sentinel reported.

According to a cover page attached to the settlement that was placed in Zimmerman’s criminal case file, copies of the settlement were given Thursday to Zimmerman’s attorney, as well as to the prosecutor and the judge, the newspaper reported.

Crump has previously said he intends to file suit later against Zimmerman, and the settlement specified that Zimmerman was not part of the homeowner association’s deal.

(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2010 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
Old 07-14-2013, 01:15 AM   #690
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman View Post
I wonder if GZ ID himself as a night watchmen? Apparently TM doesn't have a right to defend himself but instead should had ran home but yet the same isn't said about GZ? He apparently had a right to kill someone after loosing a fight.

Anyways, I am not surprise with the way this case have gone. It was based on agenda from the get go.

If you believe, and I stress this part is if, that Zimmerman lost Martin and was then blindsided by Martin and thrown to the ground, nothing in what you just said stands up. Martin has every right to defend himself if attacked, but there is no evidence I have seen to indicate that happened.

Nobody and I mean nobody can say exactly what they would have done if they were in Martin's shoes. That said, when he jumped Zimmerman, got on top and started wailing on him, it is not defensive anymore and he has no right to self defense at all.

Evn though it seems like I am on Zimmerman's side in this, Im not. He went looking for trouble and found it in Martin. But in our country you need proof beyond a reasonable doubt. I do not know how lse to say it, the prosecution never had that here.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:23 AM   #691
Jukeman
Mascot

Quote:
If you believe, and I stress this part is if, that Zimmerman lost Martin and was then blindsided by Martin and thrown to the ground, nothing in what you just said stands up. Martin has every right to defend himself if attacked, but there is no evidence I have seen to indicate that happened.

Nobody and I mean nobody can say exactly what they would have done if they were in Martin's shoes. That said, when he jumped Zimmerman, got on top and started wailing on him, it is not defensive anymore and he has no right to self defense at all.

Evn though it seems like I am on Zimmerman's side in this, Im not. He went looking for trouble and found it in Martin. But in our country you need proof beyond a reasonable doubt. I do not know how lse to say it, the prosecution never had that here.

Im sure if the results was the same and TM was a female GZ would have been in jail. TM would probably be a hero in that situation..

Last edited by Jukeman : 07-14-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Jukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:41 AM   #692
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

Quote:
Im sure if the results was the same and TM was a female GZ would have been in jail. TM would probably be a hero in that situation..

Would Zimmerman have followed a girl? Would a majority of girls have been able to jump Zimmerman, throw him to th ground, and then slam his head into the ground?

We can play this game all night. What if TM were a raptor?

We have the facts we have. Zimmerman cannot be changed into a white guy or an indian. TM cannot be a girl, a 12 year old or a dwarf. They are what they are, the facts are the facts, and reasonable doubt is reasonable doubt.

I would lie to think ifthe roles were reversed, I woud have the same opinion. I cannot prove to you I would do this nor will I try. To me this is not about race, it s about facts. No amount of what ifs will change that. The only thing ta would is a compelling change in the facts as they have been presented.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:51 AM   #693
miami_fan
Coordinator

It seems to me that there are two distinctive parts of the night in question and I think when you decide to place the main focus is determines where you fall in the entire scenario, not just the case. I think the trial was about the second part. The part where Martin confronted/jumped on/punched Zimmerman. At that point, I guess Zimmerman fears for his life and has the right to self defense. If this is where you place your focus, I think you fall on one side.

The part that I feel has been severely discounted is the first part. Everything that happened prior to the confrontation. I think everyone agrees that if that part does not happen, then we don't get to the second part. Now my personal belief is that Zimmerman's actions in the first part were spurned in part by Martin's race. Do I think that makes him a racist? No. Do I think that it was the only reason he did what he did that night? No. However, I do think that Zimmerman was out to "get" Martin. By "get" I mean he was going to get this kid who he thought had criminal intentions. Again, I did not follow the trail minute by minute day by day so if the actions of both parties (specifically Zimmerman) leading up to the confrontation were addressed, forgive me. Having been in a similar incident in August 2011, this case was hit a bit too close to home to go all in on.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:19 AM   #694
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
It seems to me that there are two distinctive parts of the night in question and I think when you decide to place the main focus is determines where you fall in the entire scenario, not just the case. I think the trial was about the second part. The part where Martin confronted/jumped on/punched Zimmerman. At that point, I guess Zimmerman fears for his life and has the right to self defense. If this is where you place your focus, I think you fall on one side.

The part that I feel has been severely discounted is the first part. Everything that happened prior to the confrontation. I think everyone agrees that if that part does not happen, then we don't get to the second part. Now my personal belief is that Zimmerman's actions in the first part were spurned in part by Martin's race. Do I think that makes him a racist? No. Do I think that it was the only reason he did what he did that night? No. However, I do think that Zimmerman was out to "get" Martin. By "get" I mean he was going to get this kid who he thought had criminal intentions. Again, I did not follow the trail minute by minute day by day so if the actions of both parties (specifically Zimmerman) leading up to the confrontation were addressed, forgive me. Having been in a similar incident in August 2011, this case was hit a bit too close to home to go all in on.

In the criminal case, only the second part counts. Im not saying anyone is forced to agree with it, but that is seriously all that matters. I do not discount what Zimmerman did to put himself in the situation. It simply has no relevance in a criminal trial unless the prosecution could prove Zimmerman wanted to kill Martin all along.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:23 AM   #695
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
In the criminal case, only the second part counts. Im not saying anyone is forced to agree with it, but that is seriously all that matters. I do not discount what Zimmerman did to put himself in the situation. It simply has no relevance in a criminal trial unless the prosecution could prove Zimmerman wanted to kill Martin all along.

No doubt, just as the first part is probably more important in the court of public opinion.

Edit: Actually I should say in the court of a certain segment of the public opinion.

Last edited by miami_fan : 07-14-2013 at 02:33 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #696
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Do you think GZ was proved guilty beyond reasonable doubt?
Old 07-14-2013, 05:34 AM   #697
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It has been hard to read Facebook this morning. People calling for NAACP petitions against GZ, etc. so many people looking just at the race issue. I would love to remind them that Martin referred to GZ as a cracker in his final phone conversation, so he has his own racial bias, but it just isn't worth it.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:46 AM   #698
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Roddy White. Lol.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:49 AM   #699
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Roddy White. Lol.

Yeah...I can't believe he posted that.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:58 AM   #700
rowech
Pro Starter

I think the biggest thing this shows is the need for "instigator" clauses in some of our laws.