Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-30-2010, 12:09 PM   #651
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Dusty Baker has been managing the Reds for how long?

SI

What does that have to do with how many pitches Louis Tiant threw for the Red Sox?
Old 01-30-2010, 05:33 PM   #652
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
What does that have to do with how many pitches Louis Tiant threw for the Red Sox?

Whoops, my bad. I was just thinking Reds/Red Sox, 168 pitches, and Dusty Baker- easy mistake I would think as it was before my time

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:36 PM   #653
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

PECOTA has been updated:

Baseball Prospectus | Depth Charts

Red Sox 93, Yankees 93, Rays 92
Minnesota the only team in the central with a winning record at 83
Oakland 85, Texas 84, Seattle 81

Atlanta and Philly with 85
Cards with 86
No one else in those divisions over .500 but Reds and Nats(!?) at 81
All of the West over .500 with Dodgers (86), DBacks (85), Rockies (83), and Giants (82)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-30-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #654
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
PECOTA has been updated:

Now that's more like it.

The Angels have been revised upward ... to 77 wins vs the original 76
Old 01-30-2010, 06:09 PM   #655
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Now that's more like it.

The Angels have been revised upward ... to 77 wins vs the original 76

Heh...yeah, I already looked. I'm not sayin' nothing.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:09 PM   #656
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And if the Braves end up with the second most wins (tied) in the NL with their lineup then it's probably time to just retract the whole league.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:31 AM   #657
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Ugh. Apparently Orlando Cabrera is going to be the starting SS for the Reds. At 3 mil they didn't overpay, but his declining fielding and 86 OPS+ for 2009 make it doubtful he'll be much better overall than Janish would have been.

At least Jocketty has been sharp in other decisions this winter.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:27 PM   #658
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Ugh. Apparently Orlando Cabrera is going to be the starting SS for the Reds. At 3 mil they didn't overpay, but his declining fielding and 86 OPS+ for 2009 make it doubtful he'll be much better overall than Janish would have been.

At least Jocketty has been sharp in other decisions this winter.

86+ is a hell of a lot better than 59+. Great signing in my opinion. I'll take a .270 hitter who plays good defense. Yeah...he's older but it's a one year deal with an option for a 2nd. Love the move. Janish wasn't going to to cut it.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:05 PM   #659
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
86+ is a hell of a lot better than 59+. Great signing in my opinion. I'll take a .270 hitter who plays good defense. Yeah...he's older but it's a one year deal with an option for a 2nd. Love the move. Janish wasn't going to to cut it.

But that's the problem, he no longer plays good defense. Based on fielding and hitting Cabrera is barely better than Janish (who is a very good fielder). It's 3 mil spent without providing a significant overall upgrade.

Now if Cabrera can boost his OBP from last year or play better defense it's a good pick up, but otherwise it doesn't do much more than provide a good defensive replacement on the bench.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:51 PM   #660
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
But that's the problem, he no longer plays good defense. Based on fielding and hitting Cabrera is barely better than Janish (who is a very good fielder). It's 3 mil spent without providing a significant overall upgrade.

Now if Cabrera can boost his OBP from last year or play better defense it's a good pick up, but otherwise it doesn't do much more than provide a good defensive replacement on the bench.

He's still an above average fielder...even in his current state. Worst case you play him for 7, get average defense and a much better bat and then put Janish in late games for defense if it's a big enough concern.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:32 PM   #661
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think I mention this every time he makes a move, but I am so jealous of your GM right now. He's barely been on the job and he's one of the best in the game

SI
It's been a remarkable turnaround from Bavasi to Zduriencik. It's hard to find a move he's made that I haven't liked.

That said, it's all talk until they prove it on the field. Last year was fun, but the goal is to get back into the post-season and win a World Series.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:08 PM   #662
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's going to take a little patience and luck to do that. But to go from the Bavasi years to hopeful playoff contender seems like a nice first step for a guy barely on the job for a year.

SI

Old 02-01-2010, 12:56 PM   #663
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Great news for the Twins and their fans

Twins have framework on Mauer deal? - MLB- nbcsports.msnbc.com

Sounds like the Mauer extension is all but complete.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #664
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Any complaints I had about Cabrera are officially null and void. Walt got rid of Taveras and saved about 1.8 mil in a trade with Oakland. Sure Miles sucks, but he sucks for less money than T-Virus.

Maybe this will be the year that the leadoff hitter OBPs higher than .300.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #665
Logan
Head Coach

A Mauer deal would be good news for baseball in general.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #666
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
A Mauer deal would be good news for baseball in general.

Agreed

SI

Old 02-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #667
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

good for baseball in general, sad for my red sox
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #668
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Evidently it is a 10 year deal for Mauer, essentially locking him up for Minnesota.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #669
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Any complaints I had about Cabrera are officially null and void. Walt got rid of Taveras and saved about 1.8 mil in a trade with Oakland. Sure Miles sucks, but he sucks for less money than T-Virus.

Maybe this will be the year that the leadoff hitter OBPs higher than .300.

Taveras to Oakland? Beane must have given up on OBP.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #670
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Evidently it is a 10 year deal for Mauer, essentially locking him up for Minnesota.

Holy ****! Really?

I thought only the Red Wings did that.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:34 PM   #671
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Holy ****! Really?

http://wcco.com/sports/twins/joe.mau...2.1462891.html
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #672
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Taveras to Oakland? Beane must have given up on OBP.

I can't tell you how thrilled I am that Baker won't have the option of batting Taveras or Patterson first. I'm a little worried about Miguel Cairo and Miles, but they look like part time players at best and everybody knows the CF has to bat leadoff.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #673
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Holy ****! Really?

And the Islanders are laughing at that.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #674
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Um, wow. A 10-year deal? I guess I'll reserve judgment until I see actual numbers on it, but even for a hitter entering his prime, 10 years just seems crazy risky.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #675
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Good for them, nice to see a guy stick with his roots also. Hopefully this shows other potential free agents they are committed to winning long term and they can get some guys in there. This team is always competitive with less resources then the big boys, imagine if they started getting some top tier talent to come there instead of having to dump guys who are up for a big payday like they did with Johan.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #676
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
I can't tell you how thrilled I am that Baker won't have the option of batting Taveras or Patterson first. I'm a little worried about Miguel Cairo and Miles, but they look like part time players at best and everybody knows the CF has to bat leadoff.

I'm just assuming this means Stubbs leads off. I figure its...

Stubbs -- cf
Cabrera -- ss
Votto -- 1b
Phillips -- 2b
Bruce -- rf
Rolen -- 3b
Dickerson/Gomes? -- lf
Hannigan -- c

It's a good lineup...not great but good. Their defense though is all but rock solid.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #677
SackAttack
Head Coach

Buster Olney tweeting that 'multiple sources' are saying that the ten-year report is inaccurate.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:07 PM   #678
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Buster Olney tweeting that 'multiple sources' are saying that the ten-year report is inaccurate.
That makes more sense. I'd think it would be more in the 5 or 6 year range - less risk for Minnesota, and it would give Mauer an opportunity at another big payday if he remains healthy and productive.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #679
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Despite what some sources are saying, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the deal really is 10 years.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #680
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm just assuming this means Stubbs leads off. I figure its...

Stubbs -- cf
Cabrera -- ss
Votto -- 1b
Phillips -- 2b
Bruce -- rf
Rolen -- 3b
Dickerson/Gomes? -- lf
Hannigan -- c

It's a good lineup...not great but good. Their defense though is all but rock solid.

Yeah, because the other thing that everybody knows is that the SS bats second.

If it were me I'd switch Rolen and Cabrera, move Bruce to cleanup and bat Gomes fifth if he's resigned. Phillips is okay for a 2b, but he's not a good middle of he lineup hitter. Of course if Bruce plays like he did before his injury he's not an anywhere in the lineup hitter.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #681
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
Despite what some sources are saying, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the deal really is 10 years.

Me either, if that's what gets Mauer whatever guarantees he would be looking for in order to get a signature. I just hope for the MIN fan sake that they get some ridiculous insurance coverage for the slight chance he gets hurt so the franchise isn't completely destroyed.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #682
RedKingGold
College Starter

Pretty sure we're underestimating Mauer's value to the Twins franchise. There are sime players whom their utility goes beyond baseball value because of the intrinsic importance they are to fans in that community.

It's like LeBron James in Cleveland. The Caviliers would offer James a life-time contract on the spot, if he'd accept it. Albert Pujols in St. Louis would probably be another.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:37 PM   #683
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah, because the other thing that everybody knows is that the SS bats second.

If it were me I'd switch Rolen and Cabrera, move Bruce to cleanup and bat Gomes fifth if he's resigned. Phillips is okay for a 2b, but he's not a good middle of he lineup hitter. Of course if Bruce plays like he did before his injury he's not an anywhere in the lineup hitter.

Agreed on most counts. I want Rolen behind Bruce...part of the reason Bruce has problems is because teams don't have to pitch to him. With Rolen behind him, they'll have to pitch to Bruce. Phillips will bat cleanup so a team can't burn one lefty on Votto and Bruce back-to-back. I agree with your premise on him at cleanup though...just isn't going to happen.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:37 PM   #684
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Pretty sure we're underestimating Mauer's value to the Twins franchise. There are sime players whom their utility goes beyond baseball value because of the intrinsic importance they are to fans in that community.

It's like LeBron James in Cleveland. The Caviliers would offer James a life-time contract on the spot, if he'd accept it. Albert Pujols in St. Louis would probably be another.
I get that - Ichiro is a huge value to the M's franchise in terms of additional attendance and merchandising - but it's still a big risk to the Twins.

What if he suffers a major injury in the next couple of years that reduces him from superstar to average or worse? Fans love hometown heroes, but they love winning more. For a franchise that has usually been near the bottom of the league in terms of payroll, there's a big risk in tying up a significant portion of your payroll in one guy.

Again, I'll wait to see what the actual numbers are before I pass too much judgment - perhaps the total dollar amount is low enough that it limits the Twins' risk while also providing Mauer enough guaranteed money for him to be willing to forgo free agency. But in general, I'm surprised a low-revenue team is willing to take the risk of a 10-year deal.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #685
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Great news fellow Reds fans.

Willy T is going, going, gone....
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #686
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
That makes more sense. I'd think it would be more in the 5 or 6 year range - less risk for Minnesota, and it would give Mauer an opportunity at another big payday if he remains healthy and productive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post

My guess is the 'inaccurate' is quibbling over guaranteed length/money.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's a hedge - five or six guaranteed years, with , say, four mutual options thereafter. Minnesota gets Mauer for that guaranteed length of time, gets some insurance against devastating injury in the later years when he's in his mid-30s, and Mauer isn't totally locked in for the remainder of his career if Minnesota falls off the toilet and poos all over themselves. He'd still be young enough in five or six years to go get a contract with Boston or New York if that's what he wants then.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #687
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Great news fellow Reds fans.

Willy T is going, going, gone....

Perfect...thanks a lot.

Signed,
A's Fan
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #688
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Perfect...thanks a lot.

Signed,
A's Fan

Aha.

You guys do not have Dusty Baker, though. He won't be hitting lead-off for most the season like he was here..
Old 02-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #689
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Welcome back to baseball, Byung-Hyun Kim!

Last edited by Karlifornia : 02-01-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #690
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I would speculate the 10 years is accurate.

It was likely the best way for them to work out an agreement. Mauer takes the hometown discount and is given years of security in return for it.

Initially I heard 8 years 200 million so Im now thinking 10 years 240-250 mllion.

This was the Twins only option before moving in to the new ballpark. They begged for years for a new stadium claiming it was the only way to compete financially. If they had let Johan and Mauer leave the team after the state agreed to help fund this new stadium it wouldnt have been a good situation for the Twins ownership.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 02-01-2010 at 07:06 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #691
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Aha.

You guys do not have Dusty Baker, though. He won't be hitting lead-off for most the season like he was here..

I think we're starting to see Jocketty take over this team. He's all but forced Dusty into playing certain players every day.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #692
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Yea, hopefully that is a good thing... But he is the one that brought Willy T in..
Old 02-03-2010, 10:50 PM   #693
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Verlander and the Tigs agree on a 5 yr/80 mil deal.

Good deal. He probably shouldn't get more then Felix based on age + production but Felix was also two years further away from FA then JV so the extra money was needed.

Good deal for all involved.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:39 PM   #694
EVEN8184
n00b

Twins signed Orlando Hudson for 1 year. Lineup is looking a lot stronger this year.
EVEN8184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #695
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

The M's are signing Bedard to a 1-year deal for $1.5M plus incentives. He's coming off of a torn labrum and probably won't be available before June, but at that price why not take a flier?
Old 02-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #696
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVEN8184 View Post
Twins signed Orlando Hudson for 1 year. Lineup is looking a lot stronger this year.

1. Span
2. Hudson
3. Mauer
4. Morneau
5. Cuddyer
6. Kubel
7. Hardy
8. Young
9. Harris/Punto
PH. Thome

Yes yes. Nice lineup.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #697
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Adam Kennedy. Meh.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #698
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So this is probably a good idea for the Tigs to do. Miggy has been getting treatment for his alcohol issues but it can't hurt to have a guy he looks up to around for Spring Training, plus who doesn't love the Big Cat.

Quote:
MARGARITA ISLAND, Venezuela -- The Big Cat could be joining the Tigers soon.

Andres Galarraga will likely join Detroit during Spring Training to serve as a mentor to Miguel Cabrera, the former Major Leaguer told the Venezuelan Web site Panorama.com.

Cabrera made headlines last October when he was taken into police custody but not charged following an incident with his wife in suburban Detroit that left him with scratches and bruises on his face. The Tigers infielder has undergone counseling to deal with his alcohol issues, and said he has not had a drink since the end of last season.

"Detroit wants me to be with Miguel during Spring Training and that's where we are," said Galarraga, who was at the Caribbean Series working as a broadcaster for Venezuelan television. "If it's for Spring Training, I think I will accept, but if it's for the season, I don't want to be away from my home for eight months. I hope they accept that it's only for Spring Training because to be there for six weeks is perfect."

As a coach for Venezuela during the World Baseball Classic, Galarraga worked with Cabrera on the transition from third base to first base. He also served as a mentor during the tournament.

"Maybe it's one of those things that Miguel is interested in me continuing to help him," Galarraga said. "It seems [general manager] Dave Dombrowski and manager Jim Leyland think it's a good idea."

Galarraga believes he can be a good influence on Cabrera.

"Miguelito is preparing himself. After the rehabilitation, he's coming in the best condition," he said. "Miguelito has been a superstar since he started and now he's prepared mentally and physically. I believe he's going to have an explosive year."

Jesse Sanchez is a national reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #699
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Kindof a neat story out of Chicago.
Chicago White Sox unretire Luis Aparicio's No. 11 so Omar Vizquel can wear it - ESPN Chicago

Quote:
Omar Vizquel to wear Luis Aparicio's 11

The Chicago White Sox have unretired Luis Aparicio's No. 11, which will be worn by Omar Vizquel.

Aparicio is the only Venezuelan to be inducted into the baseball Hall of Fame. Vizquel, also a native of Venezuela, was acquired by the White Sox in November. He's worn No. 13 in the past, but that number currently is used by manager Ozzie Guillen. Vizquel's decision to wear No. 11 is a nod to his countryman.

"For me, it's like a huge celebration, trying to keep his name alive and trying to spread the word of Venezuelan shortstops," Vizquel said Monday during a conference call. "I think every kid now -- the new generation of shortstops in Venezuela -- has to know about Luis Aparicio and everything that he means to us in this game."

"If there is one player who I would like to see wear my uniform number with the White Sox, it is Omar Vizquel," Aparicio said in a statement. "I have known Omar for a long time. Along with being an outstanding player, he is a good and decent man."

It is the second time the White Sox have unretired a number after Harold Baines' No. 3 was given back to him when he rejoined the team in 1996 and 2003 for his third and final stint with the team.

"Ever since I signed with the White Sox, the first thing Ozzie Guillen said [was]: 'You can forget about 13, that's going to be my number,'" Vizquel said. "He knows that's my number and I really would love to wear it. But I think what Ozzie Guillen has done for the Chicago White Sox, winning them a championship and all the years that he played there, No. 13 already has a name. ... As long as a Venezuelan is wearing it, I'm pretty happy with it."

Vizquel is an 11-time Gold Glove infielder.

SI

Old 02-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #700
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Is there any possibility that Jeter leaves the Yankees? Not so much because he wants to, but say the Yanks don't want to pay a 36-year old shortstop prime dollars? Does some other team try to steal him away for the marketing buzz it might create? I don't think it'll actually happen, but I'm intrigued by whether it'd make sense in some way or not.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote