Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 04:23 PM   #651
Radii
Head Coach

I'm driving home as well, I pass 7 or 8 gas stations, will report on the lines and prices when I get home.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:25 PM   #652
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
EF, I didn't realize LSU was the school you were offer a contract to?

I would personally stay one more night, and wait to see what happens. At least the lone bright spot is you get to be with your wife (which doesn't happen often, correct?) and family.

I am curious, how is the NO airport? Is that flooded or damaged? Are flights grounded?

From what I heard at lunch, the airport was not significantly damaged. However, there is no electricity to the airport, and all communications is being done by hand-held equipment. As was posted earlier they are using the airport for humanitarian aid, and also a staging ground for all of the emergency services.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Old 08-31-2005, 04:27 PM   #653
KevinNU7
College Starter

http://www.atlantagasprices.com/

Scroll down and check out the highest prices in the last 24 hours
Old 08-31-2005, 04:30 PM   #654
bob
College Starter

I heard 4.75 off of Haynes Bridge in Alpharetta, but that was only one station.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:34 PM   #655
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

The gas station near the house was so full that I couldn't get close enough to see the price. It is mass hysteria at its finest.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:34 PM   #656
Franklinnoble
Banned

The opportunistic oil company executives and gas station owners should be shot along with the looters.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:36 PM   #657
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

FEMA: Some people will not be able to get back to their homes for months, if ever.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:36 PM   #658
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
Call this the skeptic in me, but weren't gas prices on Sept 11, 2001 spiking like 75-100%? And within a few days they were back to a somewhat reasonable price. I am in the belief that our worries of a major 70's like oil crisis are way overblown and those who are buying the gas at $3/$4 a gallon are just being bullied by the gas stations.

Well, there were some places that went from around $1.50 to over $5. But, in general, prices didn't spike that much. That said, the places in Kansas and Missouri who did that were prosecuted by the Attorney Generals for price gouging.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Old 08-31-2005, 04:51 PM   #659
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Atlanta prices are anywhere between 3.30 and 5.50, depending on the capitalist nature of the owners. All the stations are jammed. However, there is no shortage, according to the government, because we, GA, get most of our gas from our ports. We do not have a problem with gas shortages, it's just mass hysteria.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:53 PM   #660
bob
College Starter

They just showed a BP selling gas for 5.57 in Atlanta - across the street from another station (Amoco maybe) at 3.69.

Edit - Shown on Fox News, it was actually at 5.87.

Last edited by bob : 08-31-2005 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:53 PM   #661
Tigercat
College Starter

Well in case anyone wanted to hear some personal good news, my parents house in the western suburbs apparently came out nice and dry on the inside. Also, people can even return tomorrow if they wanted to, they just wouldn't have all the utilities. The thing is, apparently its going to be the first area in New Orleans to get the electric companies in starting now until next week.

I was planning on moving back to N.O. today or tomorrow, as my lease up here ran out today and I had my last day at work yesturday. I couldn't go down there right away however, but my apartment complex heard my situation and offered me a week by week lease(normally just a year lease place). It sure beats my plan of camping out for a while. Always good to have people help you out even a little in situations like this.

But it looks like we, as part of our larger family, I will be heading to my parents house and we will be serving as home base and a place to stay for our relatives in the New Orleans area. And I wouldn't be surprised if St Charles Parish ends up serving as the same for lots of people all over the city.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:54 PM   #662
Airhog
Captain Obvious

It jumped up to about 3.00 a gallon on average around here. But Ive seen it as low as 2.87 this evening....

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!

Last edited by Airhog : 08-31-2005 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:56 PM   #663
Masked
College Starter

Gas prices appear relatively unchanged around San Jose - about 2.80/gallon
Old 08-31-2005, 04:57 PM   #664
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked
Gas prices appear relatively unchanged around San Jose - about 2.80/gallon

Since there is are refineries in Richmond, I don't expect the Bay Area to see a spike, unless the pipelines to the refineries are supplied from the Gulf Coast area.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
Old 08-31-2005, 05:00 PM   #665
chris3627
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Here's one thing I haven't heard yet: now that the water has reached equilibrium, I assume that the agenda would be (broadly speaking)...

1. fix the breaches in the levees
2. get the water out
3. assess rebuilding needs

My main question would be regarding #2. How long is it expected to take to get all that water out of the city? This isn't a normal flood scenario, where the waters eventually recede.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
I've seen a Corps of Engineers estimate of 30 days once the levee is repaired.

In reading an article from the Times-Picayune....

Quote:
In the two-pronged operation, the huge sandbags and “concrete jersey-barriers are being dumped into the flood-wall breach,” by the Corps, the general said at a press conference in Baton Rouge early Wednesday afternoon where a New Orleans Sewer and Water official and U.S. Sens. Mary Landrieu and David Vitter also spoke.

“We’ll certainly have to build it up quite a bit just to restore temporary integrity,” the general said.

If these two attempts are successful, and the lake recedes more, the next step will start as soon as the city gets power to their pumps, he said. The temporary plug at the lakeshore will then be removed so that pumping station Number 6, which he said handles about 10,000 cubic feet of water per second, can began pushing water out of that canal into the lake, he said.

“It should take a minimum of 30 days to get the water out of the system,” he said. “Then of course after that there’s quite a lot of sediment and debris and a lot of material to be removed, and it will take much longer to get that,” he said.

“We have a contractor with three barges of rock that’s out on the lake now,” he said. “The challenge is getting access to the site –- inside the canal to the flood-wall, but it possibly can be used at the entrance to the lake although we prefer to use something more temporary that we can remove quickly.”

Thirty days is a long time and the general in the army corps put that as the minimum. Seems like if everything goes well and this or that doesn't get messed up. Then there's the cleanup of everything else that is in the water now and cleaning up once of all this once the water leaves.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:03 PM   #666
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Prices ranged from 2.79 to 3.99 between my office and home. Lines were incredibly long. Gov. Purdue says that we will *not* run out, that it is an urban legend.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:04 PM   #667
Radii
Head Coach

Good to hear Tigercat!

On my drive home, I did not see a single gas station over $3.00. $2.89 and $2.99 all over the place. The brand new Kroger gas station had a *line* of at least 30 cars. they were $2.89 and offer 3 cents off to anyone with a kroger card, 10 cents off if you've spent $100 at the store.

The biggest station I pass is a RaceTrac on Pleasant Hill, 24 pumps. All 24 were full, there were cars in line for most of them and about 12 cars in line out onto Pleasant Hill itself. I would guess there were 50-55 cars in total there. Gas was $2.99 there.

A small Texaco a bit further away from the mall/interstate has simply taken its prices down, so I don't know what they are there, though I suspect gouging. It's a small station with 10 pumps I believe, and there were about 15 cars in all at that station.

Insantiy.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:10 PM   #668
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat
Well in case anyone wanted to hear some personal good news, my parents house in the western suburbs apparently came out nice and dry on the inside. Also, people can even return tomorrow if they wanted to, they just wouldn't have all the utilities. The thing is, apparently its going to be the first area in New Orleans to get the electric companies in starting now until next week.

I was planning on moving back to N.O. today or tomorrow, as my lease up here ran out today and I had my last day at work yesturday. I couldn't go down there right away however, but my apartment complex heard my situation and offered me a week by week lease(normally just a year lease place). It sure beats my plan of camping out for a while. Always good to have people help you out even a little in situations like this.

But it looks like we, as part of our larger family, I will be heading to my parents house and we will be serving as home base and a place to stay for our relatives in the New Orleans area. And I wouldn't be surprised if St Charles Parish ends up serving as the same for lots of people all over the city.

That is very good news
Old 08-31-2005, 05:11 PM   #669
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
Since there is are refineries in Richmond, I don't expect the Bay Area to see a spike, unless the pipelines to the refineries are supplied from the Gulf Coast area.

See- that's the thing. It's not about refineries or anything at this point. It's about seeing how much cash you can squeeze out of a paranoid populace.

SI

Old 08-31-2005, 05:12 PM   #670
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Prices ranged from 2.79 to 3.99 between my office and home.
Oh, and that range is particularly strange because...
  1. I live less than 5 miles from my office.
  2. The first gas station I pass is around 2 miles from my office.
  3. The last gas station I pass is around 1 mile from my home.
So, the prices ranged from 2.79 to 3.99 in less than a 2-mile span.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:16 PM   #671
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm starting to look at "corporate furnished apartments" in the Baton Rouge area to see if any have vacancies for the next months as a possible plan. I left messages with a few of them and we'll see if any of them get back to me today or tomorrow.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:22 PM   #672
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Prices ranged from 2.79 to 3.99 between my office and home. Lines were incredibly long. Gov. Purdue says that we will *not* run out, that it is an urban legend.

Problem with that is ... we're ALREADY out in some places.

Now, is that because of a shortage or panic buying or whatever ... {shrug}.
The "why" isn't as important as the "what" out here in the boonies today.

We've got police trying to direct traffic around a couple of the stations now, the lines at running about 45 minutes as of 4pm or so, and there's already been several pushing/shoving/nose-to-nose confrontations. It doesn't take much for tempers to flare in long lines, add the heat, and add the pressure of "no gas, no job" & this may get ugly in at least isolated areas.

I think the guv's prepared text (I haven't heard him directly but I've seen the planned transcript) will prove accurate -- basically a 3-5 day wrinkle with scattered outtages/shortages. Problem is, that's all that matters if you're in one of those areas that are high & dry.

edit to add: Oh, btw, I appear to have hit the prize-gouging lottery when I bought my gas earlier. Station two blocks away is fifty cents cheaper, and that's about what all the others who still have gas are pricing as of 4pm.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-31-2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:24 PM   #673
Masked
College Starter

The (very) good news: My parents are safely out of the city now. They had no trouble driving out of the city from Children's Hospital earlier today.

The bad news: Our house was a quarter block from the 17th St. canal, and I have seen pictures of the neighborhood several times on the WWL-TV feed. There is at least 10 ft of water in the street, and thus anywhere from 6-8 feet of water in the house.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:24 PM   #674
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat
Well in case anyone wanted to hear some personal good news, my parents house in the western suburbs apparently came out nice and dry on the inside.

Glad to hear it, all good news is welcome AFAIC.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:28 PM   #675
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The (very) good news: My parents are safely out of the city now. They had no trouble driving out of the city from Children's Hospital earlier today.

The bad news: Our house was a quarter block from the 17th St. canal, and I have seen pictures of the neighborhood several times on the WWL-TV feed. There is at least 10 ft of water in the street, and thus anywhere from 6-8 feet of water in the house.

Yay! and Suck

SI

Old 08-31-2005, 05:47 PM   #676
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Georgia governor Perdue says Price Gouging is going on. http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news.../31perdue.html

Quote:
Perdue declares state of emergency
> Fuel prices prompt move to prevent price gouging

> By JAMES SALZER, NANCY BADERTSCHER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
> Published on: 08/31/05
Declaring that there's "credible evidence" of price-gouging at the gas pumps, Gov. Sonny Perdue late Wednesday signed an executive order threatening to impose heavy fines on gasoline retailers who overcharge Georgia drivers.

"When you prey upon the fears and the paranoia, it is akin to looting, and it is abominable," Perdue said at a hastily called, 6 p.m. press conference.

"I'm frankly embarrassed to have to do this," the governor said.

Less than four hours earlier, Perdue said there was little he could do. But he told reporters that, after hearing reports of gas prices in the $4, $5 and $6 range, he and his staff determined that they could declare a state of emergency and put into place the state's anti-price gouging law.

That law was last used last year to keep hotels and motels from overcharging people fleeing from Hurricane Ivan.

Derrick Dickey, a Perdue spokesman, said retailers who violate the law could be hit with a fine of up to $5,000 for each person they overcharge and up to $15,000 if the victim is a senior citizen.

The governor told reporters that the state can track what retailers pay for their gas at the terminal and what they then charge consumers.

"I want it stopped, and I want it stopped now," Perdue said.

The state anti-gouging law does not prevent retailers from selling gas at higher rates but bars them from charging what the governor called "unreasonable or egregious" prices.

It was last used after Hurricane Ivan hit Georgia.

"We will not tolerate the exploitation of Georgia consumers as we recover from the effects of Hurricane Katrina, Perdue said, adding that violators will be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

The price gouging law allows retailers to increase prices based on the increases they are experiencing in transportation and market forces.

Perdue, in an earlier press conference, suggested that Georgians stay home over the Labor Day weekend to cut fuel consumption and make sure the state doesn't run out of gas because of supply disruptions caused by Hurricane Katrina.

"Forgoing our trips over the Labor Day weekend and staying home and enjoying our families ... is one of the better things we can do," Perdue said during a press conference at the American Red Cross headquarters in Atlanta. "Just hang out with your families and enjoy their company. Any discretionary driving you planned, why don't you just relax and spend the time with your children, with your parents, and with your families at home."

Perdue said there is no reason to panic about gas shortages and rising prices. He told reporters that fuel shipments are continuing to arrive at Georgia Ports, and that Colonial Pipeline, the largest pipeline distributing fuel into Georgia, expects to be largely operational by the Labor Day weekend.

"There does appear to be some spot shortages in unbranded, spot-purchasing service stations," he said. "We expect that to be a temporary problem.

"There is no reason to panic. There is plenty of gas on the way. The only way we would have problems is if people rush out and try to horde and try to accumulate gasoline they won't need for a while."

Perdue said the DOT is lifting truck driving restrictions to allow deliveries 24 hours a day. Perdue encouraged companies to allow more employees to tele-work this week.

He also called on Georgians to give cash donations to charities like the Red Cross to help the hundreds of thousands of people from Gulf states having to deal with the disaster. Georgia has opened seven shelters around the state to provide a place for refugees to go, and the state has sent three National Guard CH-47 Chinook heavy-lift helicopters and personnel to the region to help in the relief efforts.

Georgia Hurricane Katrina shelter locations:

Adamsville Recreation Center, 3201 MLK Jr. Drive, Atlanta, GA

Georgia FFA SCCA Center, 720 FFA Road, Covington, GA

SW GA Chapter, Henderson Gym, 701 Willard Street, Albany, GA

Central Avenue Church of Christ, 304E Central Avenue, Valdosta, GA

Hilton Terrace Baptist Church, 2236 Warm Springs Road, Columbus, GA

First Baptist Church on the Square, 207 West Haralson Street, LaGrange, GA
Old 08-31-2005, 06:03 PM   #677
Easy Mac

Quote:

My father in law told us not to come up to greenville this weekend because he stopped at 3 different stations and they were all out of gas. He doesn't want us to get stuck up there. I got gas this morning. It was 2.63. Not too bad actually. Only $.20 higher than 3 weeks ago.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:22 PM   #678
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Oh, and that range is particularly strange because...
  1. I live less than 5 miles from my office.
  2. The first gas station I pass is around 2 miles from my office.
  3. The last gas station I pass is around 1 mile from my home.
So, the prices ranged from 2.79 to 3.99 in less than a 2-mile span.

We are seeing crazy pricing here, too -- driving today I saw prices of 2.59 and 3.45 within ten miles of one another.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:28 PM   #679
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I think there is a major pipeline running to the East Coast from the Gulf that is down for now. Here in the West, we get our supplies somewhere else and there was only a slight bump: from $2.65 to $2.79, and no lines in any of the stations I passed on the way home.

Regarding the news that I've been following all day (mostly wwltv), you guys are on top of things and good discussions. What is starting to piss me off a little is the hyperbole we've been hearing: "total" destruction, "completely" rebuild, and so on. I understand the nature of flooding in what it does to interior walls as well as the foundation, but in New Orleans, most of the buildings still stand - including everything except one brick building in the FQ. Foundations can and will be shored up, as well as decontaminated so it's not like a H-bomb went off and leveled a city.

The most important thing is the infrastructure and that will take time.

However, I do like Jim's analogy in comparing the aftermath to the race riots of the late 60s (esp. Detroit) and what they left the city as. I think we will see this to some extent in NO. We are already seeing some near-future relocations spread across Texas, et al (bless them) and it might turn to something more permanent, esp. after the insurance claims.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:32 PM   #680
Ben E Lou

I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised that no news agencies that I know of have shown video of bodies in the water--although it sounds like there are a lot of them.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:38 PM   #681
Buccaneer
Head Coach

But we really don't how many of them were corpses from the above-ground cemeteries. Nor do we know if they were clustered along a certain street or area.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:42 PM   #682
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:
I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised that no news agencies that I know of have shown video of bodies in the water--although it sounds like there are a lot of them.

Yeah, I heard Shep Smith talk about how they have rolls of tape they will not show on the air, because they are too horrific.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:42 PM   #683
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The state anti-gouging law does not prevent retailers from selling gas at higher rates but bars them from charging what the governor called "unreasonable or egregious" prices.

Heh.

Just got a call from my wife's best friend. She works for an airline & was airborne when my wife left her a little warning voicemail about the lack of gas she might run into on the way home & suggested she get it as she left the airport (she's one of those "oh shit, the gas light is on" types, might run out of gas on a normal day muchless today) .

1st place she tried to stop was on Mt.Zion Blvd -- $4.99 for regular ... and a parking lot full of cops. Two of the police were working with a customer to make sure everything was documented in order to charge & eventually nail the gouging station owner. The other cops were re-directing motorists who tried to pull into Mr. $4.99 to the Racetrack just over the hill, where the price was $2.99.

Ya gotta love it when you catch cops doing the whole "serve & protect" thing
Old 08-31-2005, 06:42 PM   #684
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Regarding the news that I've been following all day (mostly wwltv), you guys are on top of things and good discussions. What is starting to piss me off a little is the hyperbole we've been hearing: "total" destruction, "completely" rebuild, and so on. I understand the nature of flooding in what it does to interior walls as well as the foundation, but in New Orleans, most of the buildings still stand - including everything except one brick building in the FQ. Foundations can and will be shored up, as well as decontaminated so it's not like a H-bomb went off and leveled a city.

It's not just structural integrity that's an issue in the aftermath of these buildings being soaked for weeks on end (though that's a major one in and of itself) - it's related issues like mold that prove extremely pervasive, and more importantly it's the spread of toxic chemicals all around the city which may well leave much of the soil at levels far higher than is normally allowed by the EPA. What to do then? Undertake a massive Superfund cleanup and the related expense and time to do so, or waive the rules and let the 'buyer beware' so to speak regarding health risks of living, working and visiting the area?
Old 08-31-2005, 06:44 PM   #685
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbatl1
Yeah, I heard Shep Smith talk about how they have rolls of tape they will not show on the air, because they are too horrific.

Which is a shame.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:51 PM   #686
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
It's not just structural integrity that's an issue in the aftermath of these buildings being soaked for weeks on end (though that's a major one in and of itself) - it's related issues like mold that prove extremely pervasive, and more importantly it's the spread of toxic chemicals all around the city which may well leave much of the soil at levels far higher than is normally allowed by the EPA. What to do then? Undertake a massive Superfund cleanup and the related expense and time to do so, or waive the rules and let the 'buyer beware' so to speak regarding health risks of living, working and visiting the area?

Which goes back to my earlier comment about "parts in billions". In my city and others as well, they condemn, confiscate and abandone property that had less contamination than what most structures in NO will face. If they apply the same rules, then much of NO will never, ever be inhabitable again. But I am guess that for the sake of economics, cultural considerations and logistics, they are going to have to compromise the rules - as you said.

My guess is that the region will focus on its resources and to maintain a working population to run those resources (oil, gas, refineries, sugar? etc.). The rest will 1) become an enclave centered around the FQ and 2) become a shell - East Bank particularly. I don't see core NO become a consumer-centric city in the near future, unless Congress authorize hundreds of billions.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:13 PM   #687
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Which goes back to my earlier comment about "parts in billions". In my city and others as well, they condemn, confiscate and abandone property that had less contamination than what most structures in NO will face. If they apply the same rules, then much of NO will never, ever be inhabitable again. But I am guess that for the sake of economics, cultural considerations and logistics, they are going to have to compromise the rules - as you said.

Here's the thing though - those rules weren't put in place by drawing a number out of a hat - you might have quibbles about the exact level that should be considered safe, but I can't imagine it will be possible to allow a level on orders of magnitude higher in terms of pollution, both in the water and the soil as well as existing structures. This is going to be a very expensive and probably long-term reconstruction.

Quote:
My guess is that the region will focus on its resources and to maintain a working population to run those resources (oil, gas, refineries, sugar? etc.). The rest will 1) become an enclave centered around the FQ and 2) become a shell - East Bank particularly. I don't see core NO become a consumer-centric city in the near future, unless Congress authorize hundreds of billions.

This will be fascinating to watch - I can't think of any American city of this size that's basically faced a near-total reconstruction. Urban planners are going to go crazy figuring out how New Orleans will be rebuilt. I think you're right - I think essentials will be the first thing rebuilt and then the historic (and least damaged) areas, with the rest possibly left alone or the focus of a massive, very long cleanup process.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:15 PM   #688
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
... unless Congress authorize hundreds of billions.

And if that starts to happen, I imagine you'll see some very serious grassroots opposition, especially if the geography of the area is made clear to the average Joe/Jane.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-31-2005 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:15 PM   #689
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Did anyone see Anderson Cooper 360? It seems that they are finding bodies of whole families just about in every house in I think it was Biloxi.

As for the floating bodies: I think that those are pretty much ''FRESH'' ones. Correct me if Im wrong but I think the bodies tend to stay in the coffin in most cases and just float or sink in them, I could be wrong though.

Shepard Smith's coverage and commentaries are top notched. With alot of emotion and
sounds real genuine.
Also: Steve McNair's mom is reported ''missing.'' according to a local sports talk radioshow. Mc Nair was talking with his mom and she said something along the lines of ''The tiles in the roof are being tossed around ...'' and the line went dead.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:21 PM   #690
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
And if that starts to happen, I imagine you'll see some very serious grassroots opposition, especially if the geography of the area is made clear to the average Joe/Jane.

No doubt. I don't think there's any doubt, based on the existing industry in the area as well as the history that some parts of New Orleans will be rebuilt. But the extent of that rebuild (and the amount the federal government pays for) I think is going to be subject to serious questioning due to the likely cost of doing so.

That said, I've already seen some economists talking about how this should work out to be a boost to the economy, so I suspect much of the argument for rebuilding New Orleans will be along those lines.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:21 PM   #691
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Well I'm glad to hear your parents are safe
Old 08-31-2005, 07:32 PM   #692
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Heh.

Just got a call from my wife's best friend. She works for an airline & was airborne when my wife left her a little warning voicemail about the lack of gas she might run into on the way home & suggested she get it as she left the airport (she's one of those "oh shit, the gas light is on" types, might run out of gas on a normal day muchless today) .

1st place she tried to stop was on Mt.Zion Blvd -- $4.99 for regular ... and a parking lot full of cops. Two of the police were working with a customer to make sure everything was documented in order to charge & eventually nail the gouging station owner. The other cops were re-directing motorists who tried to pull into Mr. $4.99 to the Racetrack just over the hill, where the price was $2.99.

Ya gotta love it when you catch cops doing the whole "serve & protect" thing

Very nice . I hope the guy gets a very hefty fine!
Old 08-31-2005, 07:50 PM   #693
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Interesting. The Mayor just ordered 1,500 police to leave their search and rescue mission and take care of the looters.

I think there are going to be books written - in hindsight of course - of all of the crises and decisions being made this week.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:55 PM   #694
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Interesting. The Mayor just ordered 1,500 police to leave their search and rescue mission and take care of the looters.

I think there are going to be books written - in hindsight of course - of all of the crises and decisions being made this week.
Not to mention the interest in sociology and the chaos theory thats gonna abound the next few months.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:56 PM   #695
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

There will be at least three kinds of books - the ones focusing strictly on this event and the aftermath, the academic ones looking at this as a case study in a lot of areas such as sociology, and those that look at how New Orleans got to this point. There's been a lot of talk already about the role the declining wetlands in the delta have played in exacerbating this tragedy.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:57 PM   #696
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Checking the website, it says that LSU School of Medicine will resume classes and operations within the next 3 weeks in Baton Rouge. Decisions made from the meeting of Department heads tomorrow will be posted in the next 24-48 hours on the emergency website. Tomorrow, I'll intensify my search for a furnished apartment(s) for our crew (5 people and 4 pets counting Mrs. Eaglesfan and myself) in the Baton Rouge area via the internet and phone.

It doesn't look like we'll try to drive up to NJ.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:57 PM   #697
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:

After all the lawsuits are settled.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:00 PM   #698
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

O'Reilly Factor just did something that really made me uncomfortable ... Bill was talking with three different people who had been rescued, or as it turned out, two rescued ppl & a 77 y/o woman that is still trapped in her home along with her 98 y/o mother.

O'Reilly had her give out her specific street address on national TV, basically promising to get her out of there one way or another. While I realize the number of predators with access to the Factor is probably pretty limited, I just really got a bad feeling giving out that address did as much to put a bullseye on her forehead as it did to get her rescued.

I'll give him credit for very good intentions (and a healthy dose of ego), but a D- for his judgement on not having her give the info to producers off-air instead of on-air.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:07 PM   #699
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
O'Reilly Factor just did something that really made me uncomfortable ... Bill was talking with three different people who had been rescued, or as it turned out, two rescued ppl & a 77 y/o woman that is still trapped in her home along with her 98 y/o mother.

O'Reilly had her give out her specific street address on national TV, basically promising to get her out of there one way or another. While I realize the number of predators with access to the Factor is probably pretty limited, I just really got a bad feeling giving out that address did as much to put a bullseye on her forehead as it did to get her rescued.

I'll give him credit for very good intentions (and a healthy dose of ego), but a D- for his judgement on not having her give the info to producers off-air instead of on-air.

Except in many places, the house addresses are underwater (or damaged) and going have to go on landmarks instead.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:19 PM   #700
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Nagin has finally declared martial law. Perhaps, this is old news. However, it is listed as breaking news on wwltv and is the first I've heard of it. It also mentioned that Nagin is furious with the looters and is changing the 1500 police officer's focus to stopping those looters via any means necessary.

I hope other agencies are going to be rescuing people, but I'm glad to see something being done to stop those who are looting non-necessity items.
Closed Thread