Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #651
spleen1015
Coordinator

I am thinking about reading How Few Remain next. I'm concerned though that my lack of knowledge concerning the Civil War will mean that I won't truly understand the impact of what happens in the book.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #652
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I am thinking about reading How Few Remain next. I'm concerned though that my lack of knowledge concerning the Civil War will mean that I won't truly understand the impact of what happens in the book.

It won't be a problem at all. There's a blurb in the beginning about how the South wins, then it jumps to the setting of the book.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #653
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Thank you, I will read the sample and purchase if it fits.

It is a great book, purportedly book one of ten. On the bright side Sanderson is a pretty prolific writer right now.

The approach is apparently to have one character and their specific back story dominate each volume while advancing the whole epic story all the way. From what I surmise from reading this volume twice, this is an epic tale he is crafting.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #654
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Anybody want to suggest which of these books I've already purchased I should dive into next? Rules: not in a series (my book club is starting a new book next week, so I need a filler for this week), short enough to be read in a week, and can't be too hard (so DFW is out).

Paper books (dead tree editions)
Kindle books 1
Kindle books 2
Kindle books 3
Kindle books 4
Kindle books 5

Dennis, I agree with the rec for Way of Kings. If you haven't read Rothfuss' Kingkiller books, you might try those (first book is The Name of the Wind). Also there are the First Law books by Abercrombie (The Blade Itself is the start of a trilogy, plus there are The Heroes and Best Served Cold which are same-world books not directly part of the series). Also, Brent Weeks has a newish book out to start a new series, it's called The Black Prism. But were it me, I'd go with Way of Kings. I really liked Sanderson's work on the Wheel of Time books and his Mistborn books (speaking of, I have one more of those to read, a sort of sequel to the original trilogy).

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #655
spleen1015
Coordinator

tk, Alloy of Law is good. It is a short read, not nearly as long as the books in the Mistborn Trilogy.

I recommend it for your short read this week although you'll likely get through it quickly.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #656
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

I am reading Paint Your Dragon by Tom Holt. A nice bit of comic fantasy
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #657
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Still reading the sample by Sanderson, not sure if I like (Not a big Jordan fan and he writes like Jordan)

However, Robin Hobb I have heard good and bad. If I was to read a Hobb series, what would be the first series I should read?
Old 02-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #658
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Still reading the sample by Sanderson, not sure if I like (Not a big Jordan fan and he writes like Jordan)

However, Robin Hobb I have heard good and bad. If I was to read a Hobb series, what would be the first series I should read?

The Farseer Trilogy was fantastic. I'd highly recommend it.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #659
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I read the Farseer and then immediately read her follow up to it. Was one of the better fantasy series I've ever read.

But I've always struggled getting into fantasy, so it's far from any type of high fantasy or anything. I enjoyed it more for the characters than anything.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 02-15-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #660
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
The Farseer Trilogy was fantastic. I'd highly recommend it.

I agree, I quite enjoyed that trilogy. I devoured it over a week.

/tk
Old 02-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #661
cougarfreak
College Starter

I may do a re read of that after I get done teaching this year. And tackle the next trilogy.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #662
QuikSand
lolzcat

I just finished 11-22-63, and put it into my "don't bother" list. I liked a lot of the setup and concept, but didn't get much of anything from the execution.

I have mixed feelings about things from King I have read - I thought this one would be a good fit. Anyhow, I disagree with a previous poster in this thread - and I'd say that if all King wanted to do was tell *this* story, it could have easily been done in a 150-page novella. Had I known the scope to be as unambitious, especially in contrast to the premise, I would have skipped it.

If you like the genre/concept of time travel and speculative fiction - here's a book that I'd really recommend, available on Kindle despite being out of print for some time:

Amazon.com: Replay: Ken Grimwood: Books
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #663
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Just finishing up re-reading "American Psycho".
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #664
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I'm still working through Wild Cards. I really liked it at first, mostly because I kinda dig origin stories, and it was mostly a bunch of origin stories. But the later stories (I'm about 60% in) aren't all that great. I think maybe George R.R. Martin, as editor, front-loaded the anthology. I'm hoping the next few stories pick up.

I just finished reading Lies of Locke Lamora with the Sword & Laser book club. I didn't particularly like it. Oddly, I didn't particularly dislike it, either. I just couldn't get sucked into it. I think, as I said in my review, that it felt more like a tale of a moderately interesting person's day-to-day life. There are some points of high interest/intrigue, but mostly, it was hard to identify with why the main character really cared about being the best thief. It was a lot of pretty mundane stuff happening with some action here and there. I was bummed, as I really expected to like that book.

S&L is getting ready to read The Magicians. Based on reviews from my Goodreads friends, this is truly a love it or hate it book. A lot of the complaints seem to be that it's a bit depressing, kinda like The Crow crossed with Harry Potter. I'm not very far in but am so far enjoying it well enough.

/tk
Old 03-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #665
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I really liked The Magicians up until the end. Not enough to ruin the book for me, but enough that I haven't read the second yet.

And I REALLY enjoyed the first 90%.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #666
digamma
Torchbearer

Listening to REAMDE.

Reading a cupcake book DON'T PUT ME IN, by the guy with the ClubTrillion.com Blog, Mark Titus.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:45 AM   #667
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Finished reading Blackout and All Clear by Connie Willis - she's an amazing writer, that goes without saying from all the awards she's won (I think Blackout/All Clear were her 10th or 11th Hugo Award.) Anyway, these books follow on to the Oxford time travel universe she established in Doomsday Book, and are primarily focused on all aspects of London during the Blitz. She really did a ton of research on it and if you are at all interested in this topic or in some really well written books I recommend them.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #668
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Well, looks like i will be spending some cash on the Potter series in e-book

Associated Press- Harry Potter adventures go on sale in e-book form

Home - Pottermore Shop
Old 03-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #669
whomario
Pro Starter

Too pricey for me for books i´ve allready read, maybe if they bundle them and cut off some of the price (like with the first 4 of Song of Ice and Fire).

I recently read Don´t put me in, Coach by former Ohio State walk-on Mark Titus. Thought it was a really amusing account of his time at Ohio State. He also chronicles the rest of his basketball career like HS and his AAU days (on the same team as Oden, Conley and Eric Gordon), but those are propably less interesting for most (me too, but i still think it´s only fair he gets to tell about that as well).
Sometimes a little too much "frat humour" and for readers of his blog some things aren´t new, but still a very fun read and simply a very nice story for him to have. Walks a fine line as far as talking about former teammates, but does it in a self-ironic way and propably won´t get in trouble with them over it (other than maybe with Daequan Cook, he gets zinged pretty bad )
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 03-27-2012 at 09:33 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #670
spleen1015
Coordinator

I've added Mark Titus' book to my list.

I just started reading the first Farseer book. I like it so far.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #671
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am working on another Alastair Reynolds book, The House of Suns.

It is another of his standalones, I believe. It's very good so far.

Really, for hard science fiction, Reynolds is an intriguing and inventive storyteller.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #672
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
If you like the genre/concept of time travel and speculative fiction - here's a book that I'd really recommend, available on Kindle despite being out of print for some time:

Thanks for the recommendation, just finished this today. Great read, even if the first quarter felt a bit too "familiar" thanks to having read 11/22/63 - so many details are the same. After that though the books deviate from each other greatly. A an excellent idea and execution by Grimwood, will need to check out more of his stuff.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #673
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post

If you guys love The Hunger Games Trilogy books. I highly recommend Divergent by Veronica Roth. Divergent is currently slated for a trilogy.

The first book of the trilogy has been released.

"In Beatrice Prior’s dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can’t have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she’s chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she’s kept hidden from everyone because she’s been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her."

Alright, just had the sample sent to the kindle, if I like the style, I will buy and read.

Right now I am going back and re-reading all of Feists books in Chronological order so I can get my ducks in a row for A Crown Imperiled which released in March...
Old 04-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #674
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I was on vacation in Florida last week and finished reading the Spin series by Robert Charles Wilson - really good hard science fiction - the first book is Spin, the second is Axis, the third is Vortex. Each book follows slightly different characters but the overall concept is really good and I found them all very interesting.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #675
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I am working on another Alastair Reynolds book, The House of Suns.

It is another of his standalones, I believe. It's very good so far.

Really, for hard science fiction, Reynolds is an intriguing and inventive storyteller.

I am still reading this, but I accidentally left it at home once when I left for the day, so I started reading Lee Child's latest Jack Reacher novel to reach paperback The Affair. It's a prequel type of book, pretty solid so far, about Reacher's last days in the Army.

I am alternating between The House of Suns and The Affair currently, which is odd in a way, because they are so different books.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #676
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I finally finished Wild Cards. I'm also halfway through Lev Grossman's The Magicians and getting ready to start listening to Earthseed. In May, my book club will be reading Hyperion, which I've read before, but am looking forward to rereading.

/tk
Old 04-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #677
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Looking for quick thoughts for a friend's request for a Science Fiction reading recommendation. (FWIW, she's got no real sci-fi background, but is an avid reader that is probably one of the "smarter" readers I know, very much into savoring a read)

Here's her request: "I'm looking for something really adventurous and not dark. On the edge of your seat, feel good type novel."

Most of the sci-fi that comes to my mind is moreso thoughtful than feel good. So I"m reaching out to improve my recommendation.

What ya got for me FOFC?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #678
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I read Divergent based upon recommendations. It hooked me, lets just say I finished it in 2 days and I managed to get very little sleep because I stayed up so late to read it.

Insurgent comes out in a few days and I will purchase it then.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #679
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Looking for quick thoughts for a friend's request for a Science Fiction reading recommendation. (FWIW, she's got no real sci-fi background, but is an avid reader that is probably one of the "smarter" readers I know, very much into savoring a read)

Here's her request: "I'm looking for something really adventurous and not dark. On the edge of your seat, feel good type novel."

Most of the sci-fi that comes to my mind is moreso thoughtful than feel good. So I"m reaching out to improve my recommendation.

What ya got for me FOFC?

City and the Stars by Arthur C Clarke?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #680
cuervo72
Head Coach

The American Republic, Volume I by Richard Hofstadter. Yeah, it's a textbook. But I found it for .50 at a yard sale and I have a soft spot for history. I've actually made it up to page 275 (over a fair span of time).

I still need to get my hands on another copy of Slaughterhouse Five.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #681
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

From reading this thread, I decided to read Turtledove's How Few Remain starting in January and was hooked enough to read the next ten books that followed it in the timeline (called the Southern Victory Series, the next ten books covered the Great War, the interwar period, and then the unnamed "Second Great War").

Overall, the books were generally good reads but more for the story and the characters and the mix between reality and fiction as opposed to the writing itself. I became annoyed having to read about certain things over and over (like USA soldiers' rations being better than those at that CSA soldiers got and how bad USA cigarettes were compared to CSA cigarettes). These things would be repeated a few times in each novel and after reading so many of them over a few months it got tiresome. Once the Second Great War began, I also think Turtledove could have added a regular CSA solider/pilot/seaman sooner than he did, there were several USA characters like that but for awhile the only CSA characters were the president, the spy, and the boss of the prisoner camp.

Now I have started The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell but I am not far enough into the book to judge it other than to say I find the setting interesting.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #682
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

What ya got for me FOFC?

Heh...sounds like she would be fine reading some Asimov. Only problem he generally wrote in series, rather individual books.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #683
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

What ya got for me FOFC?

Philip Dick maybe? Though I am not sure about the feel good aspect that she is looking for.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #684
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Also, completely forgot that some time ago I read Rothfuss' pair of books, The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear. I really enjoyed both books, and the narrative style of the story being dictated by the protagonist is a lot of fun, especially because he's (for the most part rightfully) completely full of himself. I'm very intrigued to see where the third book goes, and whether or not it will wrap up the story, or if Rothfuss intends to continue on out of the past and into the present.
I just completed the first book, and have already downloaded the second one. Wow - what an imaginative world he created! I thoroughly enjoyed The Name of the Wind. I hope the other two live up to my now lofty expectations.

Last edited by tyketime : 04-28-2012 at 01:10 PM.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #685
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

What ya got for me FOFC?

I just finished Earthseed by Pamela Sargent. It's a Young Adult book and the cover is obviously trying to capitalize on the Twilight phenomenon, but it's actually a really good book. It's about a group of kids who were born and grew up on an interstellar ship, the DNA that created them sent away from Earth as a last hope for humankind. There were some interesting twists along the narrative and I found myself not wanting to stop reading.

Another one I often recommend is Rendezvous with Rama. And Ender's Game is my typical science fiction recommendation. There's a really good thread in my book club (a science fiction and fantasy book club) about books you would recommend to someone new to or scared of the genre. It's got a ton of great recommendations (and some not so good ones), you might check it out (or have her do so): http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...d-of-the-genre

/tk
Old 04-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #686
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I just finished James Salter's A Sport and a Pastime. I really had no idea what it was about other them reading gushing reviews of Salter's prose. It was a struggle. Oh well, you have that. On to the next one. Debating between

Cutting For Stone by Abraham Verghese
A Conspiracy of Paper by David Liss
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clark

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 04-28-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #687
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Finally getting around to reading Fight Club...

TK, I might take up the Earthseed book too...
Old 04-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #688
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I just finished James Salter's A Sport and a Pastime. I really had no idea what it was about other them reading gushing reviews of Salter's prose. It was a struggle. Oh well, you have that. On to the next one. Debating between

Cutting For Stone by Abraham Verghese
A Conspiracy of Paper by David Liss
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clark

I didn't care for Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. From other reviews, and discussion at my book club, it seems to be a love-it or hate-it book. I thought it took too long to have anything actually happen and a lot of what was going on was written in tiring prose. I listened to the audiobook and couldn't wait for it to be done.

/tk
Old 04-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #689
Autumn
Head Coach

I loved Jonathan Strange, but it definitely wouldn't appeal to everyone.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #690
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

That's the vibe I've received from reading about it. I may start reading it side by side with one of the other two. I've read and heard nothing but positive things for Cutting For Stone both online and through acquaintances, but I read Whiskey Rebels from David Liss a few years back and meant to check out some of his other work. Oh, the tough decisions.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #691
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

Thanks. Next up.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #692
Autumn
Head Coach

I second the vote for Replay. That's a fun read. The execution wasn't as great as I hoped from how it started, but the concept was so interesting. It's a book I still think about and talk about years and years later.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #693
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

I picked up A Conspiracy of Paper by Donald Liss at the Green Valley Book Fair, and it is an excellent book. The historical touches are there with a nice mix of fictional characters with real people and situations.

I'm looking forward to his other books.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #694
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Finally getting around to reading Fight Club...

TK, I might take up the Earthseed book too...

Well, I finally wrote my review for it, it's at GR. And I posted my review for Wild Cards, too. At some point both reviews I think are going to go on SFFaudio but I'm not sure when.

I think people are paying attention to Earthseed due to a similarity with The Hunger Games. There are some similarities, though Earthseed is a very different plot. But both are YA, both have strong female leads, both are about kids. There are two other books in the Seed trilogy, which I haven't read yet. I'll be reading the next in the series, Farseed, after I finish a re-read of Hyperion with my book club. I've read that Farseed isn't nearly as good as Earthseed. It was also written some 25 years after Earthseed. Or at least, published almost 25 years later (Earthseed was 1983, Farseed 2007).

/tk
Old 04-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #695
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I second the vote for Replay. That's a fun read. The execution wasn't as great as I hoped from how it started, but the concept was so interesting. It's a book I still think about and talk about years and years later.

I had a couple of issues with the logic of some of the situations, but I guess that's normal for "time travel" type of story. Either way, really enjoyed it and my GF is hooked on it too at the moment.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #696
whomario
Pro Starter

Has anyone got some suggestions for good books depicting alternate history with and without fantasy elements ? And maybe books putting a different spin on folk stories/legends ?
Prefereably non-series (or at least short series, not 5,6 or 10 parts) or at least series where the order is loose.

I know i am picky
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 04-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #697
spleen1015
Coordinator

I know of the Wheel of Time and A Song of Ice and Fire. Are there any other epic fantasy novel series out there? I think I know of a few trilogies, but are there any that are 6-10 books long? Are there any other epic series that aren't fantasy?
Old 04-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #698
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I know of the Wheel of Time and A Song of Ice and Fire. Are there any other epic fantasy novel series out there? I think I know of a few trilogies, but are there any that are 6-10 books long? Are there any other epic series that aren't fantasy?

Frank Herbert - Dune (main novel that could serve as a standalone and 5 sequels, plus a host of other spinoffs, sequels and whatnots by his son and Kevin Anderson) . Basically the equvalent to Tolkien or Martin in the Science Fiction sector, although it could just as well be labled Fantasy and it would fit just as much. Kind of similar to "Song of Ice and Fire" in that it really focusses on the character and the political/social stuff going on (Dune is a tad heavier on Politics though and adds religion into the mix) and the SF/Fantasy elements are tagging along rather than dominating the books.
Star Wars copied a ton of stuff out of there as well.

Stephen King - Dark Tower Series (many different influences, part fantasy, part SF, part Western, a bit of horror. Not allways consistently good imo, but extremely good for considerable parts)

Jim Butcher - Dresden Files (crossover between fantasy and crime story)

Jim Butcher - Codex Alera (this is more traditional fantasy)

non-fantasy, mostly historical series :

- Saxon Stories by Bernard Cornwell. 6 Books to date (near the end but at least 1 and maybe 2 books still to come), Chronicels the life of a fictional warrior in 9th century england, main character is constantly torn between loyalty to the english and friendship with the danish invaders.
Also the Sharpe series by him is definitely worth checking out, although that wasn´t my cup of tea as i don´t find the time it plays in all that interesting

-Ramses Series by Christian Jacq. Series chronicling the life of Ramses II (THE great pharao). Not allways historically acurate, but still very interesting.

- Cicero Series by Robert Harris (Imperium is the first, Conspirata the 2nd, the 3rd is schedules to be released late this year). Well, it´s again in the title

- Colleen McCullough : Masters of Rome . Describes the downfall of the roman republic, goes from about 110 BC to 27 BC. Not exactly politically correct in that it gives certain character the benefit of the doubt way too much, but that´s not taking a way from it being a kick ass story.

Last edited by whomario : 04-30-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #699
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Kindle's Lending Library will be adding all seven Harry Potter books on June 19.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #700
cougarfreak
College Starter

Just finished The Rising Tide by Jeff Shaara. Good book about the Allied campaign in North Africa and Sicily. I'm going to jump into Only Time Will Tell by Jeffrey Archer. He tells great stories.