Old 07-09-2009, 01:52 PM   #651
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Legends of Hockey - NHL Trophies - Stanley Cup
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #652
Pyser
Pro Rookie

that makes it sound like the cup era really started in 1926....and ottawa only won once since then.

oh well. i should just be happy i got it and shut up.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #653
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
that makes it sound like the cup era really started in 1926....and ottawa only won once since then.

oh well. i should just be happy i got it and shut up.

More correctly the 'NHL era' began in 1926. The Cup has been around since the late 1800's and that's why Ottawa counts.

I've always been curious as to how the NHL got sole rights to the cup. I'd love to see some team from Europe or Russia try to dig up an obscure document that would somehow legally let them (and other) clubs try to compete for it as well.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:32 PM   #654
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
for the sake of confusion, i wouldnt count teams that moved. the avalanche are not the nordiques, for example

wouldn't matter. Quebec never won one, 2 for Colorado
Old 07-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #655
Pyser
Pro Rookie

yeah, but winnipeg and phoe....er, hartford and caro.....or minnesota and dal....damnit!
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #656
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Since 1910, when the National Hockey Association took possession of the Stanley Cup, the trophy has been symbolic of professional hockey supremacy. Beginning in 1926, only NHL teams have competed for this prized trophy.

Quoted from the link I posted above...the Senators were part of the NHL or NHA between '10-'26 and won the Cup versus the Pacific Coast Hockey League winners (read about the NHL/NHA vs. PCHL I think on wikipedia).
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #657
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Kotalik to the Ranger, $9M over 3

Boynton to the Ducks, $1.5M for 1

Also, Tampa signs Hedman and signs Kurtis Foster. So after learning last year you should sign 84 forwards and no defense, they have changed their ways...and signed 76 defense this summer, and no forwards.

July 2010-- goaltenders
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #658
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post

See ya Zherdev.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:44 PM   #659
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

Boynton to the Ducks, $1.5M for 1

Also, Tampa signs Hedman and signs Kurtis Foster. So after learning last year you should sign 84 forwards and no defense, they have changed their ways...and signed 76 defense this summer, and no forwards.

July 2010-- goaltenders

Brian Burke is Tampas GM too??

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #660
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
What about Jay McKee? I completely lost track of him after he went to St. Louis and was injured all the time, but before all of that, he was a pretty solid defender in Buffalo and a great shot blocker.

Given his recent history, I imagine he could be had for a reasonable amount.

Jay McKee signs with Pittsburgh at a very reasonable $800K one year deal. If he stays healthy, it's a great signing and should help coushin the blow from the loss of Scuderi and Gill.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:21 PM   #661
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
See ya Zherdev.

Is Zherdev a free agent? And do you really think that Kotalik is a decent replacement? That dude seems like a stiff to me (not that Zherdev is hot shit either, but still). I can't believe their going to pay 3 mil a year for a guy to put up 40 points and a negative +/-...
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 07-09-2009, 11:29 PM   #662
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Ducks have made some nice moves on a tight budget.

Looks like Lupul--Getzlaf--Perry, and Ryan--Koivu--Selanne on the top two lines, and Ebbett and Christensen also around to provide some offensive pop. Marchant, Noki, Carter, Miller, Brown--a solid checking line group.

Now the D has Nieds, Wiz (after arb), Whitney and Boynton as a Top 4 D, with a whole host of talented kids ready to fill in the third pairing, including Sbisa, Salcido, Mitera, Festerling, Mikelssen.

Plenty of talent at both ends for special teams.

And Hiller and Jiggy return in net. San Jose has to take a step back, and if they do, that's a Ducks team that can catch them.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:56 AM   #663
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

If the Ducks can afford it (not money but with talent), I think it'd be best for them to let Sbisa play a year in the AHL. He's going to be good but I think a year in the minors would really help his development.

You also want to keep an eye on Lupul and keep him away from the local high schools and college hot spots if you want him to be coherent for games the next night.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #664
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I thought he was a good goalie...err, at least in EHM '07 he was. Now he is a backup in Tampa?

NHL free agents: Antero Niittymaki signed by Tampa Bay Lightning - ESPN
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #665
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Travis Moen to the Habs. 3 years.

Paul Mara also signed a 1 year deal with Montreal.

Brendan Morrison signs a 1 year deal with the Capitals.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #666
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Jay McKee signs with Pittsburgh at a very reasonable $800K one year deal. If he stays healthy, it's a great signing and should help coushin the blow from the loss of Scuderi and Gill.

That is a steal. Doesn't hurt that he's getting $1.3M from St Louis to go away.

Something that jumped out at me about it-- Scuderi 30, McKee 31. Seems like Jay McKee should be like 40 by now.

Quote:
Travis Moen to the Habs. 3 years.

Paul Mara also signed a 1 year deal with Montreal.

Brendan Morrison signs a 1 year deal with the Capitals.

What better- Morrison or Nylander?
Old 07-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #667
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Is Zherdev a free agent? And do you really think that Kotalik is a decent replacement? That dude seems like a stiff to me (not that Zherdev is hot shit either, but still). I can't believe their going to pay 3 mil a year for a guy to put up 40 points and a negative +/-...

Zherdev is an RFA, but wants $3M+

Add to it the Rangers now have Gaborik, Kotalik and Callahan on the right side...

They'll either move him now, or walk away from his arbitration salary.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #668
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Something that jumped out at me about it-- Scuderi 30, McKee 31. Seems like Jay McKee should be like 40 by now.

I, too, was surprised at how young McKee still is.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #669
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Zherdev is an RFA, but wants $3M+

Add to it the Rangers now have Gaborik, Kotalik and Callahan on the right side...

They'll either move him now, or walk away from his arbitration salary.

He actually wants $4M+...if that's the award, they'll walk, but yeah I expect him to be sent out. Packaged with Roszival would be great.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #670
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I thought he was a good goalie...err, at least in EHM '07 he was. Now he is a backup in Tampa?

NHL free agents: Antero Niittymaki signed by Tampa Bay Lightning - ESPN

He's got hip problems, Homer had offers for him at the deadline last year but knew he had hip issues. He said he didn't want to trade damaged goods to other teams.

He also has problems with shots going over his shoulders all the time since he is quick to go down.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 07-10-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #671
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
He actually wants $4M+...if that's the award, they'll walk, but yeah I expect him to be sent out. Packaged with Roszival would be great.

Are you attaching a few 1st round picks to that??
Old 07-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #672
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Are you attaching a few 1st round picks to that??

You realize the Rangers got a solid young winger and a top defensive prospect for guy with a much worse contract and worse skills?

I'd have no problem keeping Roszival, he was actually fairly solid last year and the price isn't terrible. There's a market for him.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #673
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
You realize the Rangers got a solid young winger and a top defensive prospect for guy with a much worse contract and worse skills?

I'd have no problem keeping Roszival, he was actually fairly solid last year and the price isn't terrible. There's a market for him.

Are we talking about Gomez? Cause yeah his contract is worse, but Zherdev will be lucky if he has Gomez's career at this point.

Rozsival is a good #4 guy. He was always hurt in Pittsburgh, but showed potential. He was often tabbed as their future top pairing guy, but he never could stay healthy.

And $5M? Nice for a top pairing guy, but not a #4.

We are talking a combined $9M for a 2nd pairing D and 2nd lin winger.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:30 PM   #674
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
If the Ducks can afford it (not money but with talent), I think it'd be best for them to let Sbisa play a year in the AHL. He's going to be good but I think a year in the minors would really help his development.

You also want to keep an eye on Lupul and keep him away from the local high schools and college hot spots if you want him to be coherent for games the next night.

There's a pretty decent chance Sbisa won't be on the team out of camp actually. On top of the top four I mentioned, the Ducks are also bringing back Brookbank, who played well enough (and is a vet) to play in the third pairing, and both Festerling and Mikkelssen played more NHL games than Sbisa last year, and aren't bad. Salcido might also be ready, and he was considered the most talented of the Ducks' younger D-men at one point.

As for Lupes, well, we've already been down that road with him. As long as he hangs with Getz and Perry (which he used to do when he was here before), he'll usually be second or third choice, so hopefully that keeps him upright.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-10-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:43 PM   #675
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

You also traded him to a team who's GM is a retarded gorilla.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #676
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
You also traded him to a team who's GM is a retarded gorilla.

That's unfair...

to gorillas.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:16 PM   #677
bbor
Pro Starter

Why did Mckee get bought out/released from St.L?

Guy was lights out his last years in Buf.I'm actually surprised Buf did'nt sign him at that price,he was a fan favorite there.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:05 AM   #678
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

http://njmg.typepad.com/d...e-a-head-coach-today.html

Devils to name a head coach today

The Devils have scheduled a 1:30 p.m. conference all today to make "a major announcement."

It is expected that they name a head coach at that time.

All signs point to Jacques Lemaire

This will be Lemaire's second stint as the team's head coach. He coached them from 1993-94 to 1997-98 and guided them to their first Stanley Cup in 1995.

Lemaire, who will turn 64 in September, coached the Minnesota Wild for the last nine years,but stepped down following the 2008-09 season.

According to a report from RDS in Canada, Lemaire's good friend Mario Tremblay will be joining him in New Jersey as an assiistant. Tremblay also was an assistant under Lemaire in Minnesota.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:28 AM   #679
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Why did Mckee get bought out/released from St.L?

Guy was lights out his last years in Buf.I'm actually surprised Buf did'nt sign him at that price,he was a fan favorite there.

I think he had been moving down on the depth chart over the last few years, mainly becuase of injuries. The Blues must have decided that they couldn't afford to keep a 3rd, 4th, or possibly even 5th defense who couldn't stay healthy at around $4 million or so a year.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #680
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Two moves by the Rangers:

Ryan Callahan gets 2 years, $4.6M total.

Rangers trade Lauri Korpikoski to Phoenix for Enver Lisin

Not sure what to make of that deal. Lisin has the upside- he's got ridiculous speed and probably better offensive talent. But he could also bust big time; the Rangers might have Rico Fata pt II.

Korpikoski is pretty much a bottom 6 guy, but a PKer and you know what you'll get with him.

I guess the Rangers hoping for a boom with Lisin.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:53 PM   #681
Logan
Head Coach

Korpedo was fun to watch, but I think you hit it on the description...just not enough upside and we have enough of those guys. There was some thought he was headed to the KHL.

Callahan got about what was thought.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:36 PM   #682
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Rangers trade Lauri Korpikoski to Phoenix for Enver Lisin

I like this move for the Rangers. They deal an average penalty killing forward for a high upside speedster. Lisin could develop into a pretty good goal scorer.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:50 PM   #683
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I also like this deal for the Rangers. They don't lack for 3rd liners.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:18 AM   #684
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

The Blackhawks fired GM Dale Tallon according to some reports?

Huh?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:22 AM   #685
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

apparently, although none of the big ones seem to have this yet
The Fourth Period :: Chicago Blackhawks :: Blackhawks fire GM Tallon
Old 07-14-2009, 07:27 AM   #686
Logan
Head Coach

First GM fired for a mailing issue?
Old 07-14-2009, 08:01 AM   #687
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Pretty expensive mailing issue. It's like forgetting to mail in a lottery ticket. And it's going to look really expensive this time next year

If true, of course

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:07 AM   #688
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

There has to be more to it all than just that.

I'm pretty surprised by the firing. How do you fire your GM after your first playoff run in so many years and making it all the way to the conference finals?

Granted, the Blackhawks could have some difficulties after this year cap-wise, but to fire him now? Odd.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:06 AM   #689
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Ping Logan...

Old 07-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #690
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
There has to be more to it all than just that.

I'm pretty surprised by the firing. How do you fire your GM after your first playoff run in so many years and making it all the way to the conference finals?

Granted, the Blackhawks could have some difficulties after this year cap-wise, but to fire him now? Odd.

apparently, that was just the excuse. he was from the old regime and it's been rumored that the new regime wanted to bring in their own guy.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:21 AM   #691
Logan
Head Coach

I hate Malkin more.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #692
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
apparently, that was just the excuse. he was from the old regime and it's been rumored that the new regime wanted to bring in their own guy.

Kinda curious that they would do this after the free agent signing period. Why not get rid of him before hand and get their own guy in?
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:43 AM   #693
Logan
Head Coach

Thought this was interesting, hadn't seen it discussed:

FLYERS LIKELY WILL BE $AVED FROM OWN STUPIDITY - New York Post

Possibility of amnesty buyouts (one per team) for next summer with no cap hit to accomodate the potential shrinking cap.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:43 AM   #694
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I hate Malkin more.

Yeah he's dirty.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:44 AM   #695
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah he's dirty.

So can you get cracking on that shirt please?
Old 07-14-2009, 09:45 AM   #696
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Thought this was interesting, hadn't seen it discussed:

FLYERS LIKELY WILL BE $AVED FROM OWN STUPIDITY - New York Post

Possibility of amnesty buyouts (one per team) for next summer with no cap hit to accomodate the potential shrinking cap.

Yeah either that or they will pay a team (with picks) to take him off their hands. Someone who maybe needs to get to the cap floor. His cap hit stays at 4.9 (or whatever) but will only be owed 500k in each of the last 2 years.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #697
Logan
Head Coach

I don't see why it won't happen. With the potential of a declining cap, I would think the players would rather have all their money up front, with the potential to earn more, instead of the possibility of being sent to the minors while also freeing up said declining cap space for other players to earn their raises.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #698
MikeVic
Head Coach

Didn't read the article, but is that kind of like the Allan Houston rule in the NBA?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #699
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't see why it won't happen. With the potential of a declining cap, I would think the players would rather have all their money up front, with the potential to earn more, instead of the possibility of being sent to the minors while also freeing up said declining cap space for other players to earn their raises.

If the cap starts declining there are going to be a lot of teams besides the Flyers in cap trouble. Then you'll start having the trouble where teams could send players (without NMC) down to the AHL to free up cap space.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:03 AM   #700
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

As much as I don't want to see the cap to decline sharply (and new reports indicate that it might not be that bad), it would be really interesting to see what would end up happening if, say, the cap fell to $50 million or so.

I think the amnesty, one buyout or so per team, option makes a lot of sense for the teams in trouble and the players. So, I can see the NHLPA getting on board.

You would then have a market full of your regular compliment of UFAs and RGAs and all of these formerly high-priced bought out players. So, you'd have more players than usual, but a lot less money to go around. Would guys be willing to take short term, small contracts? Would they head to the KHL to make their money?

It'd sort of remind me of my EHM career (before I edited the database), where you had all of these big name guys not in the league because there was simply no money left to sign them and they wouldn't accept smaller deals that could fit within anyone's cap or budget.