Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-08-2009, 06:41 AM   #651
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The NBA needs to get rid of all the flagrant fouls. If something's really blatant, eject somebody, maybe even suspend him. But these intermediate "flagrant fouls" just ensure inconsistency and bad feelings. Every play is different.

So much of it is superficial. If you have a guy driving, and another defender running at top speed, there's a decent chance there will be a pretty ugly collision with the offensive player getting the worst of it. Sometimes the arm gets the ball, sometimes it misses, things are going so fast and it's incorrect to assume that what happened at that high speed is what the players exactly intended. All of the slow motion analysis is completely ridiculous when trying to judge intent because the events didn't happen in slow motion.

It does make one miss the good old days:

This would make the internet explode day - McHale probably would have been suspended for the rest of the playoffs.

Absolutely brillant post! 100% agree.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:50 AM   #652
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
What does this have to do with the Bulls? The Bulls have received more than their fair of favoritism during the Jordan years. If you don't thing stars are treated differently in the NBA, it is clear you don't watch much of it.

And how is this different than every other sport? Stars are treated differently. Greg Maddux got pitches called strikes that no other pitcher would get for years. Who is most likely to get a roughing the passer called when he gest a tap to the head? Tom Brady or John Beck? Stars are given the star treatment because they are stars.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 05-08-2009, 09:49 AM   #653
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
What does this have to do with the Bulls? The Bulls have received more than their fair of favoritism during the Jordan years. If you don't thing stars are treated differently in the NBA, it is clear you don't watch much of it.

No I agree with that stars are obviously treated differently which is not a problem as long as every teams stars are treated the same unlike a few major teams so on that I agree.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #654
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
No I agree with that stars are obviously treated differently which is not a problem as long as every teams stars are treated the same unlike a few major teams so on that I agree.

But stars aren't evenly distributed across teams.

Stars are always going to get the benefit of the doubt, that's not a conspiracy, it's just human nature. If Greg Maddox is working the corners, the umpire is going to be expecting it, Maddux looks like he knows what he's doing, and he's going to get that call. If a wild rookie is all over the plate and one pitch accidently gets a corner, it's hard to call that pitch a strike because the human brain just doesn't see it that way. If it seems like an accident, or your brain isn't expecting it, it's going to seem like a "worse" pitch than if a guy is consistently hitting his spots.

I think there's a similar dynamic at play in basketball. When a star misses a shot it's easier to "see" the foul, because you espect him to make that shot.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #655
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
If Lebron wins a title with the Cavs this year, will he stay?

He's staying regardless.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:12 AM   #656
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
He's staying regardless.

QFT
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #657
MrBug708
Head Coach

Unless Kobe leaves for Europe
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #658
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Nice performance from the Magic after a bad game two. Next game we'll have Alston and Lee for the first time this series.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #659
whomario
Pro Starter

why the hell do they stay with a blowout instead of going to Houston ?
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #660
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Maybe there was an NBA equivalent of the "Heidi game" back in the day.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #661
whomario
Pro Starter

Lakers look very, very good righzt now. To tell you the truth i am concerned a little ...

And as a coach i hate that cross-matchup at the 3/4 that the Rockets go with. Artest gets manhandled on the boards and Scola gets killed in transition.

great offense by both teams, Rockets still too many turnover though. If they would get a good PG for once ... And boy, that last hookshot on the move by Yao was amazing, just as that pass off the dribble earlier. The guy is freaking 7´6 ...

Last edited by whomario : 05-08-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:19 PM   #662
whomario
Pro Starter

Artest seriously passes up 2/3 of his open shots ...

Last edited by whomario : 05-08-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #663
whomario
Pro Starter

Lakers by 2 at the half. Rockets with 11 Turnovers, most totally unforced really ... The good is that Kobe slowed down after a hot start and now has 14 on 13 shots, Rockets take that every time. And Yao much more involved and with 14 as well and plays great defense moving his feet and contesting shots. Gasol just 2-7 is a result of this.
I think in now 2 1/2 game the Lakers may have gotten half a dozen points on post ups from their big guys combined, that´s how good a post defender Yao has become. Gasol is a pretty good post player that is a potential 20 point scorer and he doesn´t even bother.

hearing Avery Johnson´s voice makes me cringe. It´s like chalk on a chalkboard for my ears ... He may or may not make good points, but my hearing cells just tune out in an act of self-protection ...

Last edited by whomario : 05-08-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:32 PM   #664
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

The Lakers have finally settled down and are letting their major talent advantage over the Rockets take over.

They will need to keep this up to keep the Rockets at bay in the fourth.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:35 PM   #665
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Wow.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #666
whomario
Pro Starter

what a shot ... Though there you saw the difference between Battier/Artes. Battier would have had a hand up, there´s no way Braynt has time to take another dribble there ...
Rockets are self destructing. Yao misses a couple so you go away from him ? No way ... Bryant did a terrific job denying Battier (aka "the one guy that can and does pass to the post consistently") the ball.
Artest´s shot selöection is all-time-bad.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #667
whomario
Pro Starter

I´m getting a Ron Artest vodoo-doll as soon as i´ll get up in the morning ... If sanyone blames this on Yao i´m going ballistic. He works his ass off and his teammates don´t execute at all. Battier is the only exception, who btw just is a terrific entry passer. The one to Artest a couple minutes ago was awesome.
If the Lakers hit their shots they are tough to beat.

Bryant with the dagger. Yao is limping ...

Last edited by whomario : 05-08-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:06 PM   #668
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

And that Kobe three (4th quarter) was the dagger. This one is over.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 05-08-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #669
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Reputations work both ways for referees. There's no way that's a flagrant 2 if it's anyone other than Ron Artest.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #670
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Reputations work both ways for referees. There's no way that's a flagrant 2 if it's anyone other than Ron Artest.

Absolutely very weak call there
Old 05-08-2009, 11:20 PM   #671
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Lol @ Artest.

I wonder what kind of wacky interview tidbit he'll give out next.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:20 PM   #672
whomario
Pro Starter

Yao with what looks like a pretty heavy bruise on his right knee too , propably carry over from game 1 ... And that´s sth that isn´t coming out of nowhere, might have bothered him a long time before that obvious limping ...

A Flagrant 2 ??? No one else but Artest gets thrown out for that, no one.

and @ the rockets : Quit fouling allready ...

props to Kobe for that statement on the foul by Artest.

Last edited by whomario : 05-08-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:00 AM   #673
RainMaker
General Manager

Lakers are just too deep. No one in the West can hang with them for 7 games. Don't know how Artest gets a Flagrant 2 for that one. Especially with what we've seen from these playoffs.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:35 AM   #674
Danny
Head Coach

That was just a hard foul, not a flagrant. It had no bearing on the outcome of the game though.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #675
molson
General Manager

Chuck Daly died today:

Chuck Daly, Hall of Fame coach, dies at 78 - ESPN

I can't believe he was 78.

Well, I guess I can. Just one of those things that makes you feel old.

Last edited by molson : 05-09-2009 at 06:24 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #676
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I loved Chuck Daly
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #677
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Why is there only 1 playoff game on a Saturday?

Edit: Nevermind, my directv guide is just being stupid as apparently there is another game soon.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-09-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #678
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

How is that not called a foul before the shot?
Old 05-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #679
Galaxy
Coordinator

The NBA continues to show it's a joke.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #680
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Texas Rangers or Dallas Mavs - what is the over/under of a championship in the next 25 years?
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #681
whomario
Pro Starter

This has to be called. Then again, why in the world doesn´t wright simply wraps his arms arround him, swipe at the ball or whatever ...
Seeing Dirk there was heartbreaking. The guy just broke down inside when that final buzzer sounded and just had all life sucked out of him, with all the drama in his personal life and now this ...
Dallas though simply failed to execute late. They didn´t get Dirk the ball in decent spots, way too much dribling nescessary for Nowitzki on all 4th quarter shots. Kidd missed him on a couple entry passes and Howard was just playing out of control the last 5 minutes after reentering ...
Old 05-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #682
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Dola -

How is that not called a foul before the shot?

Should have been called as an intentional foul. Two shots and the ball.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:23 PM   #683
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Should have been called as an intentional foul. Two shots and the ball.

come on now, you are being silly here, aren´t you ? A Bumb on the baseline is not exactly a clear path foul ... Every foul in theese situations is "intentional", but that´s not even in the rule book. There is no special punishment for an intentional foul on the ball.
It´s 1 shot and the ball also, no ?

NBA.com - RULE NO. 12-FOULS AND PENALTIES

Wright made a mistake though. Not a clear enough foul and then he quit playing expecting the whistle. That´s just a mental breakdown. Somehow i´d wish for Dirk to get the hell out of Dallas and be a complimentary 2nd star somewhere earlier than later.

Last edited by whomario : 05-09-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #684
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
come on now, you are being silly here, aren´t you ? A Bumb on the baseline is not exactly a clear path foul ... Every foul in theese situations is "intentional", but that´s not even in the rule book. There is no special punishment for an intentional foul on the ball.
It´s 1 shot and the ball also, no ?

NBA.com - RULE NO. 12-FOULS AND PENALTIES

Wright made a mistake though. Not a clear enough foul and then he quit playing expecting the whistle. That´s just a mental breakdown. Somehow i´d wish for Dirk to get the hell out of Dallas and be a complimentary 2nd star somewhere earlier than later.

Of course I am being silly. But that was as "intentional" a foul as you can get. It goes back to the discussion of the league creating "special" foul categories that IMO over-legislate the game.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #685
miami_fan
Coordinator

Dola,

It was hilarious to see the Mavs begging for a foul call after spending the previous 47 minutes protesting foul calls.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #686
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

They just announced on ABC that Yao is out for the playoffs due to a hairline fracture. Disappointing as I was looking forward to the Rockets pushing the Lakers and hopefully upsetting them.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #687
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Seeing Dirk there was heartbreaking. The guy just broke down inside when that final buzzer sounded and just had all life sucked out of him, with all the drama in his personal life and now this ....

What happened in his personal life?

Last edited by Galaxy : 05-09-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #688
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
What happened in his personal life?

http://www.nbcdfw.com/sports/basketb...zkis-Home.html
Old 05-09-2009, 09:30 PM   #689
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

LeBron is so much fun to watch.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:58 PM   #690
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Sort of the polar opposite of the quit-once-we're-ahead Hawks.

That whole damned group isn't worth a bucket of warm spit and it was refreshing to hear the crowd start to get that realization in the 4th quarter. Please, Hamilton ON, you want a franchise from Atlanta? Take the Hawks.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #691
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That OOP in the first quarter was insane.

I've hated Danny Ferry since I was about 14 but I will admit he built a great cast to surround Bron
Quote:

Last edited by stevew : 05-09-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #692
Easy Mac

Quote:

I agree. I was just thinking that I can't wait to have a son, so he can say he got to watch the greatest basketball player who ever lived.

That being said, would anyone be surprised if it came out tomorrow that LeBro is on steroids. I mean, his career/body path isn't that different from A-rod, and he's the same size as Julius Peppers. I'm not saying he's not the greatest basketball player I've ever seen, but it just seems odd that in this day and age no one seems to have even broached the subject.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #693
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I agree. I was just thinking that I can't wait to have a son, so he can say he got to watch the greatest basketball player who ever lived.

That being said, would anyone be surprised if it came out tomorrow that LeBro is on steroids. I mean, his career/body path isn't that different from A-rod, and he's the same size as Julius Peppers. I'm not saying he's not the greatest basketball player I've ever seen, but it just seems odd that in this day and age no one seems to have even broached the subject.

Jordan is coming back?
Old 05-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #694
stevew
Hall Of Famer

He has had an NBA body since he was a junior in HS and just built on it from there. Although nothing surprises me. I'm just going with off the charts genetic freak.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #695
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Yao out for the post season.

Yao out for remainder of postseason - NBA - Yahoo! Sports
Old 05-09-2009, 10:42 PM   #696
Danny
Head Coach

It must be a conspiracy that caused Yao to get hurt.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:01 AM   #697
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Dola,

It was hilarious to see the Mavs begging for a foul call after spending the previous 47 minutes protesting foul calls.

Imagine had 'Melo missed that shot? Denver would be screaming for a foul
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:02 AM   #698
JeeberD
General Manager

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:06 AM   #699
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't know who the guy who was trying to foul was, but he didn't help himself out by putting his hands up in the air after making the hack. The foul also should have been harder.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:07 AM   #700
Danny
Head Coach

I agree, you need to wrap that player up. I don't really have a problem with the no call there.