Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #651
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Also, why does this come up here with the bad russians but not with Ray Allen leaving tons of money on the table to play for the Heat ? (or maybe it did, then i missed it)

He got some flak, but I never really understood it. Allen had (obviously) a better chance with the Heat and didn't get along with Rondo. At this point in his career, money means very little. So I never had an issue with him leaving the Celtics and appreciated what he did while he was in Boston. Other fans, however, didn't see it that way...
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #652
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

I think part of the reason is Allen didn't go to a team that had Johnson $21.4, DWill 18.4, Lopez 14.7, Humphries 12, Pierce 15.3, and Garnett 11.5 while walking away from a $10 million dollar contract.

People can say Miami was stacked but they weren't contract stacked like this team is. I think Miami only had 3 guys over 5 million(Wade, James, Bosh).

I think loyalty to his former owner played a big part in this since Pro bought the team there were rumors that AK47 was his first target every season.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #653
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
He got some flak, but I never really understood it. Allen had (obviously) a better chance with the Heat and didn't get along with Rondo. At this point in his career, money means very little. So I never had an issue with him leaving the Celtics and appreciated what he did while he was in Boston. Other fans, however, didn't see it that way...

I think it was a vocal minority + media hyperbole. Apparently everyone hates Rondo except maybe KG.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #654
korme
Go Reds

whomario you and I both know Pierce isn't coming off the bench.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #655
korme
Go Reds

But Kirilenko is such a solid addition. It takes the Nets from a team loaded with stars who might not fit to a real contender IMO
Old 07-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #656
Groundhog
Coordinator

Watched a fair bit of summer league today. Really like Cavs 2nd rounder Felix. Great hustle and can even shoot it, looks like a keeper. Aussie Dellavedova is trying out for 3rd PG and I didn't get him much of a shot... but I stand corrected. A few bad turnovers but some impressive passing and agressive in the passing lanes too. I think he's a good chance to make an NBA roster.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:46 AM   #657
Groundhog
Coordinator

Just watched Hawks-Clips. Like what I saw from Nogueira (outside of getting bullied by Samardo Samuels - but Summer League is where Samuels shines), and Shroeder with a few nice lobs for him is a good sign for the Hawks. Nogueira had a couple of really nice passes too which is always encouraging from bigs.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:39 AM   #658
whomario
Pro Starter

yeah, saw the Hawks game as well.
Schroeder will likely struggle and not have a pretty stat line this season. That doesn´t mean he´ll bust or this year won´t show tons of promise, but there will be a lot of 3-10 shooting nights with 5 TOs for him with the way he plays. Once he adjusts to the bigger and faster competition he´ll be fine imo.
His jump shot has improved a ton last year, no reason to believe that trend will not continue.

Muscala could take Pachulia role as a no nonsense Big who can score a littel.

Nets played their last game in Orlando with 6 guys...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:48 AM   #659
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
yeah, saw the Hawks game as well.
Schroeder will likely struggle and not have a pretty stat line this season. That doesn´t mean he´ll bust or this year won´t show tons of promise, but there will be a lot of 3-10 shooting nights with 5 TOs for him with the way he plays. Once he adjusts to the bigger and faster competition he´ll be fine imo.
His jump shot has improved a ton last year, no reason to believe that trend will not continue.

Yeah, and he looks about 13 years old.

I saw flashes of why teams were high on him pre-draft. I don't imagine he'll see a lot of time this year unless the Hawks are awful, but if he gains some weight and develops his shot he's definitely got the athletic tools to be a good PG.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #660
whomario
Pro Starter

are the Hawks matching the offer for Teague (Bucks offered a reasonable 32/4) ? If not, he might get pressed into action much more frequently.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 07-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #661
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
are the Hawks matching the offer for Teague (Bucks offered a reasonable 32/4) ? If not, he might get pressed into action much more frequently.

Last I heard it was an unoffical trade with ATL signing Jennings and MIL not matching and MIL signing Teague with ATL not matching.

Also why did Dallas give Monta almost 9 a year for three years? Was anyone else even giving him a look? Guess they fell in love with this interview...

Monta Ellis vs Dwyane Wade - YouTube
Old 07-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #662
whomario
Pro Starter

So, Baron Davis gets abducted by Aliens and Artest plans to go to China or play Arena Football. Just your average NBA offseason day
Old 07-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #663
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
So, Baron Davis gets abducted by Aliens and Artest plans to go to China or play Arena Football. Just your average NBA offseason day

So Sam Cassell picked up BD on the way to LA from Vegas? That's what I got from the story...

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1397660

Old 07-14-2013, 04:55 AM   #664
Groundhog
Coordinator

C.J. McCollum looking the goods for the Blazers. Again.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #665
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Elton Brand leaves Dallas Mavericks for Atlanta Hawks, source says - ESPN
Old 07-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #666
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Metta World Peace to the Knicks. Man, these big markets can't pass on this sideshow...

Metta World Peace, New York Knicks agree on 2 years, source says - ESPN New York
Old 07-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #667
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Metta World Peace to the Knicks. Man, these big markets can't pass on this sideshow...

Metta World Peace, New York Knicks agree on 2 years, source says - ESPN New York

So much for going overseas or dumping on the idea of playing in NY since he felt like he would only wanted to have gone there when he was younger.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #668
MrBug708
Head Coach

Most of those stories were designed to keep another team from signing him
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #669
nol
Banned

Has anyone in the Las Vegas/West Coast contingent ever been to the summer league? Thinking about heading there this weekend.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #670
Izulde
Head Coach

Sadly, no. I would've gone this year if my parents hadn't needed me back in Wisconsin to help with some things.

But I will say out of all the college basketball arenas I've been in (Of which the D-1 ones I've been in are Wyoming, Arkansas, and UNLV), the Thomas & Mack is my favorite. Even when I've been up on the second level, I've still been able to see fine.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #671
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Has anyone in the Las Vegas/West Coast contingent ever been to the summer league? Thinking about heading there this weekend.

The first week is better than the final weekend. You can go back and forth between arena's with the all day pass ($25 bucks usually).

To be honest, it's bad basketball. Really bad basketball... but it's still basketball. Most people spend more time crowd watching for players, former players then they do watching the games. With no big names players at this summer league it doesn't have the buzz it normally does. Also not a fan of this new tournament format but we will see if players really play harder. I must agree that it's pretty good seats for "NBA" basketball.

And I will argue about T-Mack being a nice arena. I think the Cox Pavillion next door is nicer but I've spent enough time behind the scenes there to know that T-Mack is a building that is showing it's age.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #672
korme
Go Reds

20 years ago today, Reggie Lewis died.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #673
Groundhog
Coordinator

Scola to the Pacers for Plumlee and G.Green and protected first. Pacers looking very, very deep - especially factoring in Granger.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #674
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
20 years ago today, Reggie Lewis died.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #675
Izulde
Head Coach

Reports: Pistons agree to acquire Brandon Jennings in deal with Bucks | The Point Forward - SI.com

Poor Pistons fans

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #676
Groundhog
Coordinator

Brandon Jennings and Josh Smith = a lot of bad, missed jumpers.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #677
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Yikes, Jennings + JSmoove = Chucktown USA.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #678
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Brandon Jennings and Josh Smith = a lot of bad, missed jumpers.

Or that.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #679
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Look on the bright side. With all of those bricks, they'll be able to rebuild Detroit in no time.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-31-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #680
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
Yikes, Jennings + JSmoove = Chucktown USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Look on the bright side. With all of those bricks, they'll be able to rebuild Detroit in no time.

Laugh it up, Nerd Factory. Pistons are going to the playoffs!

Write it down.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:39 PM   #681
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I thought other than like 3 teams in the East, everyone wanted to not make the playoffs. Why are the Pistons trying to?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #682
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I thought other than like 3 teams in the East, everyone wanted to not make the playoffs. Why are the Pistons trying to?

They need to try something. They have fallen completely off the map here. Their attendance percentage-wise was lowest in the league. If the Pistons don't improve Joe Dumars will be out of a job.

Also, isn't that the point of the sport? To win?

I understand this upcoming draft is supposed to be good, but how many truly great players are there? Only so many teams will be successful in this tanking situation.

I am pretty sure that I have never seen either Brandon Jennings or Josh Smith play one second of basketball, but I like the fact that the Pistons are at least trying to do something to help reinvigorate their moribound franchise.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-31-2013, 04:25 PM   #683
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Also, isn't that the point of the sport? To win?

not in the NBA
Old 07-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #684
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
not in the NBA

Which is probably one of the many reasons I don't watch it.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:13 PM   #685
Groundhog
Coordinator

Now that I've seen Jennings contract, I don't think it's such a bad move... not one I'd make personally as a GM, but he is young enough I guess that you hope he can turn it around and improve his efficency.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:49 PM   #686
nol
Banned

Put it this way: he's making less per season than Jeremy Lin!

Side note: Lin's contract isn't even that bad of a deal either. It's gotten to be a knee-jerk reaction that almost every non-superstar that gets signed is ridiculously overpaid. The fact of the matter is that the salary cap's around $60 million, and you have to spend most of it one way or another.

If you've got 3-5 guys at the end of the bench making the minimum, that gives you somewhere in the neighborhood of $5 million per player to spend on rotation-caliber guys. Factor in the players on rookie deals making even less, and a solid veteran starter *should* be making somewhere around $8 million per.

Last edited by nol : 10-29-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:54 PM   #687
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I think the Pistons will be a playoff team. Likely a 1st round exit, but I think Josh Smith is vastly underrated.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:43 AM   #688
Atocep
Coordinator

I like the Jennings trade. He's the type of young PG that's worth gambling on. The Pistons may not have the best constructed roster, but they're likely a playoff team and they have assets.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:45 AM   #689
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Gonna be interesting to see the spacing on that detroit team. Jenning, Monroe, and Drummond all play left handed.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:41 AM   #690
Groundhog
Coordinator

Spacing in general is going to be a real issue for them... against the top teams that actually play good D, anyway. Drummond/Monroe works OK because Monroe can play from the high post, but I don't see how Smith fits in assuming he's starting at SF. Jennings isn't going to stop people from clogging the key, so they have to hope Billups/KCP are knocking down their corner 3s...

They are a likely playoff team, 7th/8th seed, but good teams shouldn't have a lot of trouble stopping them IMO, unless either Jennings or KCP performs well above expectations.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:57 AM   #691
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I have no doubt that they will be better than they have been the past five years... and all them dunks may bring back the fans.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #692
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Gonna be interesting to see the spacing on that detroit team. Jenning, Monroe, and Drummond all play left handed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Spacing in general is going to be a real issue for them... against the top teams that actually play good D, anyway. Drummond/Monroe works OK because Monroe can play from the high post, but I don't see how Smith fits in assuming he's starting at SF. Jennings isn't going to stop people from clogging the key, so they have to hope Billups/KCP are knocking down their corner 3s...

They are a likely playoff team, 7th/8th seed, but good teams shouldn't have a lot of trouble stopping them IMO, unless either Jennings or KCP performs well above expectations.

I am not basketball or NBA fan. I watch a few games each year during the NCAA tournament and might flip on a Pistons game every now and then, but until the Pistons signed this Josh Smith character, I can't say I ever heard anyone ever talk about this "spacing" issue in terms of any NBA team.

Is this one of those new terms?
Old 08-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #693
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I am not basketball or NBA fan. I watch a few games each year during the NCAA tournament and might flip on a Pistons game every now and then, but until the Pistons signed this Josh Smith character, I can't say I ever heard anyone ever talk about this "spacing" issue in terms of any NBA team.

Sorry to be blunt, but that´s like asking if "this rebounding thing" is a trend worth monitoring

Ask Grizzlies or Clippers fans fans about how infurating this was the last 2 playoff runs (at least they got to whale on each other) or ask Lionel Hollins how much practice time he had to use to get some sort of system in place that works without legit outside shooters.

There´s a reason why the one skill most role players at the PG, SG or SF spot bring to the table is shooting. Heck, most PFs nowadays are better shooters than rebounders. Matt Bonner sure as heck isn´t getting minutes on the Spurs because of his competency in the paint at either end

And in case of the Pistons you now have half your rotation being terrible shooters or non-shooters. And you have Brandon Jennings, who can shoot but chooses to shoot the worst possible shot as often as possible.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #694
Groundhog
Coordinator

The reason why playoff basketball is so different from regular season basketball is about 80% spacing IMO. When a team like the Grizzlies, with one or two non-shooters on the wing, faces a team like the Spurs, you see how effectively they are able to shut down their offense. Even the Miami Heat had to adjust and keep Wade on the bench at times to improve their spacing and give LeBron some room to work.

This is the way to succeed in the modern game IMO - one shot creator, one post scorer, 2 floor spacers, 1 wildcard/defender at PF or C.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #695
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

Essentially, back in the early 2000s the NBA went from strictly outlawing zone defense to allowing a defensive player to be in the the lane for 3 seconds before having to step out of the lane or find someone to guard man-to-man. Teams have adjusted to this, and some of the best defenses are able to play what is functionally equivalent to zone defense without being called for illegal defense. Good outside shooting helps against a zone defense, and that's where the spacing issue comes from.

I'd say you and whomario are both partly right. It's always been a good thing to have outside shooting/floor spacing, but it's also emerged as more of a talking point over the past couple of years as defenses have improved as three-point shooting has gone from a luxury to a necessity.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #696
whomario
Pro Starter

Another prime example is Dallas in 2011 who were a good regular season team but caught lightning in a bottle during the post season. Of course the Number 1 reason for it was Dirk and his amazing run. But they also had amazing spacing.
It´s not that everybody could shoot (Chandler and Marion propably combined for 2 baskets outside 10 feet), but they allways had 3 shooters on the floor at the same time due to the fact that Dirk was both a dominant player 15 feet in but was allways a threat to step out and/or drive. He was basically double teamed at some point during 2/3 posessions (his passing out of quick Double teams after his first drible was textbook). If any team would have been able to single-team him, there´s no way the Mavs win the title that year.

And both the regular non-shooters (Chandler and Marion) were used to not shooting and both terrific moving into space without the ball, so you couldn´t really afford to leave them out of your sights either.

As a whole, everybody on that team created space one way or another. JJ Barea made a lot of money off of that.

On the flip side: The Heat spacing improved a ton once Lebron became able to play minutes at the 4 and was able to post oposing wings up. Him at the 4 enabled them to play another 3 point shooter (further improved with Bosh expanding his range), him posting up wings forced more double teams.

The problem with a guy like Smith is that he wants to shoot and create with the ball. Problem is he can´t shoot and while he is ok as a creator, he has no space to do that, especially should Monroe and Drummond play with him at the same time.

Last edited by whomario : 08-02-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #697
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Thanks for all of this info, fellas. I really appreciate it.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #698
miami_fan
Coordinator

So Greg Oden has chosen to sign with the Heat. Um, yippee?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #699
Comey
College Starter

It's a win-win for all parties. Easily. Could be the signing of the summer.

Or it could be nothing.

The point is...it could be.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #700
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

It means Oden might win a title before Durant.