Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #651
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
At least you almost kept it within single digits!

I take it you didn't watch one minute of the game. You can stop being a sarcastic asshole now.

I will enjoy this season as much as Indiana fans will enjoy theirs.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #652
Kodos
Resident Alien

It's true, I prefer to avoid watching slogball. And you will enjoy watching your team accomplish nothing as much as I'll enjoy a possible championship run? Well, maybe your goals are different.

And I like being a sarcastic asshole. Kindof like you when it comes to football. Good thing for me, basketball season is longer.

Last edited by Kodos : 11-24-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #653
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Name the last time your basketball season lasted longer than Wisconsin's? And how many times in the last 12 years since slogball was introduced ?

I'm an asshole from football season? You start it off with bielema douchebag asshole etc etc because he beat the shit out of Indiana a few years in a row. Try not sucking. Your one big game that you had a small opportunity to do something and you choke. I can say shucks with a little middle finger.

You get a little preseason hype and all of the sudden indiana has wiped away all thats happened in the last however long they've sucked prior to last year.

Wisconsin plays good clean basketball. Let me guess you prefer mizzou over Louisville last night ? Stifling defense with efficient offense trumped fast paced careless basketball with little defense. Hmmm sound familiar? Yeah thats wisconsin over indiana the last 8 games. Will it end this year?
Old 11-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #654
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Michigan doing what they are suppose to and win the NIT Season Tip-Off.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #655
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

And on top of the Wisconsin football talk you go and say that you can't wait til Ohio st kicks their asses and I said no chance of that. Wisconsin outplays osu but came up short because of the lack of a qb. You said that I was making excuses before game was played. I know my Badgers. You don't. They're an excellent football team this year with no stellar qb to make the extra play to win the game. I will enjoy the Badgers winning by 14+ today and also taking down nebraska next week without a legitimate qb. I'm sorry Indiana sucks at football. It's a basketball state so enjoy the only thing you have and I'll enjoy football and basketball every year.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #656
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Michigan doing what they are suppose to and win the NIT Season Tip-Off.

Michigan looking great early on this year.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #657
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yes. Please cherry-pick the games played during the rebuild. In case you didn't notice, IU's defense is pretty good this season.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #658
Johnny93g
College Starter

I'll give Mauboy credit, his team went down, and he was in here talking about it. Not something everyone does.

With said said, he's attacked IU unprovoked several times, and with all the crap IU has taken for 4 years, we get to give some back now.

I watched alot of the Michigan yesterday, and I was impressed. Uniforms are far more Baylorish then last year though, that's a trend I don't like.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #659
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Duke vs Louisville should be a good one today.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #660
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I enjoy basketball season so much more than football. I don't know if its the waiting a week between each game and a shitty postseason or what but I can get amped to watch nearly any basketball game.

Even slogball !

Last edited by mauchow : 11-24-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #661
tarcone
Coordinator

I cant wait until Iowa plays Wisky. This a rivalry that will be very amplified the next few seasons.
I wont make anymore bold predictions. Yet. Iowa needs some more experience. Im hoping the rest of the preseason gets them that.
And we need to shoot better and more consistently.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #662
mckerney
Coordinator

Wow, Stanford fouled Andre Hollins as he was heaving up a desperation shot from half court as time expired when they were tied 63-63 with Minnesota.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #663
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Badgers down 13 already. Shit. The loss of gasser hurts but wtf is this ? Arkansas doing what every team should do against us. Press press and press some more. We are too young at the guard position to get comfortable bringing ball up court
Old 11-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #664
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

wow. 18 point home loss to Colorado State. We suck.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #665
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Well, the refs took over the game in Vegas with Wisconsin and Arkansas. Arkansas' out of control drives did them in along with some help with the refs. It was a weird game though, everything was being called both ways for a while and then I don't know if Arkansas got tired from back to back games and pressing this whole game but they started getting a little grabby on defense, hence the double bonus just under ten to go in the second half.

Bo just got T'd up with 32 seconds, so four free throws coming up in an 9 point game, so it's not over yet.. lol

Last edited by mauchow : 11-24-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #666
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

7 point win after erasing a 13 point deficit. Not really a good game to get a gauge for either team, unfortunately. Back to back nights, Arkansas did a great job forcing the Badgers into a different game but in the end the Hogs legs didn't hold up.

Freshman Sam Dekker the player of the game for the Badgers. He came up big with drives the whole second half and drained big free throws. If he stays four years with the Badgers, many records will be broken.

Last edited by mauchow : 11-24-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #667
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Maybe.. although we have to stop turning the damn ball over against teams as good as Louisville is.. I don't care who's in the game for us, we play like this against a top 25 team, we will continue to get smoked.

Oh, and how about getting Bowers the ball?

Louisville is a top 5 team and we're a team missing one of the best shooting guards in the country and a great SG prospect in Brown. I'm not sure why it's hard to figure out why we're turning the ball over too much in that scenario.

Regardless, a very good win against a VCU team that will be a top 25 team by the end of the year. 2-1 in the tourney is what most people expected for Mizzou given who MU has available and that's exactly what we got.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #668
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Fairly entertaining bit of b'ball as I watched the end of Duke-Louisville.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #669
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
7 point win after erasing a 13 point deficit. Not really a good game to get a gauge for either team, unfortunately. Back to back nights, Arkansas did a great job forcing the Badgers into a different game but in the end the Hogs legs didn't hold up.

Freshman Sam Dekker the player of the game for the Badgers. He came up big with drives the whole second half and drained big free throws. If he stays four years with the Badgers, many records will be broken.

I noticed the Badgers are playing more uptempo this year. Perhaps Bo told the team to shoot earlier in the shotclock this year as they dont have Taylor to bail out them long possession where he has to force it at the end. I kind of like their more diverse offense this year but they need to get back to playing that hard nosed defense they are known for and reduce their TOs. Big Ten is going to be a battle this year. When it is all said and done I would expect Indiana, Michigan, Ohio St and Michigan State in the Top 10-15 and Wisky, Minnesota and maybe Illinois in the top 25 by the end of the year.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-24-2012 at 11:10 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #670
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Fairly entertaining bit of b'ball as I watched the end of Duke-Louisville.

Possible NCAA Championship game right there. Duke caught a break with Dieng being out.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #671
Izulde
Head Coach

Despite more turnover and rebounding problems, we beat Iowa State by 12 to finish in third place in our own tournament. Anthony Bennett was freaking awesome in both games the last two nights.

I do think some of the darkhorse Final Four chatter I was hearing earlier this year is starting to dwindle down. Personally, I think we've got a good shot at the Sweet 16 this year and everything else is awesomesauce.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:22 AM   #672
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
wow. 18 point home loss to Colorado State. We suck.
Colorado State is actually pretty good, but yeah - tough loss. Not having Suggs is clearly a huge loss for this team - he and Wilcox are easily the best shooters on the team, and the rotation is stretched too thin with him out. I think they're missing Kemp too - all the reports I've heard are that he's made a lot of progress with his low-post offense and will be - by far - our best big man on offense this year.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:01 AM   #673
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
It's AWFULLY early to make that proclamation. Probably best to use the 10-game rule like Pomeroy uses. Not much to go on until we get about a third of the way into the season.

Someone else makes a prediction and its awfully early while you have already counted 24+ wins this year for Mizzou. Lets just hope they have a better showing in college hoops than they did in football or the SEC may be looking to get rid of them shortly.

With the bridges burned in the Big 12 you could be playing in Conference USA before you know it.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:55 AM   #674
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Colorado State is actually pretty good, but yeah - tough loss. Not having Suggs is clearly a huge loss for this team - he and Wilcox are easily the best shooters on the team, and the rotation is stretched too thin with him out. I think they're missing Kemp too - all the reports I've heard are that he's made a lot of progress with his low-post offense and will be - by far - our best big man on offense this year.

Getting outrebounded by 21 is something that doesn't usually happen under Romar. This is the only game this year where that seems to have been an issue though. It concerns me more that so few of the players are capable of creating their own shot. Andrews seems like the only young player who isn't afraid to have the ball in his hands and he's shooting 6-24 on the year. I was hoping the Europe trip would have helped this team be much further along at this point. Right now this feels like a team that is going to hope for an NIT birth at best. Getting Kemp back will help but I'm not sure that's enough.

Last edited by HeavyReign : 11-25-2012 at 02:55 AM.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #675
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Louisville is a top 5 team and we're a team missing one of the best shooting guards in the country and a great SG prospect in Brown. I'm not sure why it's hard to figure out why we're turning the ball over too much in that scenario.

Regardless, a very good win against a VCU team that will be a top 25 team by the end of the year. 2-1 in the tourney is what most people expected for Mizzou given who MU has available and that's exactly what we got.

That was a good win against VCU.

Are you talking about Dixon? He's decent, but one of the best shooting guards in the country? Not sure about that...
Old 11-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #676
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post
Getting outrebounded by 21 is something that doesn't usually happen under Romar. This is the only game this year where that seems to have been an issue though. It concerns me more that so few of the players are capable of creating their own shot. Andrews seems like the only young player who isn't afraid to have the ball in his hands and he's shooting 6-24 on the year. I was hoping the Europe trip would have helped this team be much further along at this point. Right now this feels like a team that is going to hope for an NIT birth at best. Getting Kemp back will help but I'm not sure that's enough.

They just don't look comfortable in the new offense
Old 11-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #677
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Someone else makes a prediction and its awfully early while you have already counted 24+ wins this year for Mizzou. Lets just hope they have a better showing in college hoops than they did in football or the SEC may be looking to get rid of them shortly.

With the bridges burned in the Big 12 you could be playing in Conference USA before you know it.

They're right on track with my prediction. I predicted one loss through the tournament and that's exactly what we have. Our only loss is to the #2 team in the nation. No shame in that.

I don't think the SEC will be letting us go anytime soon. You don't take one of the top winning percentage programs over the previous five years and toss them to the curb over a bad season.

As for the B12, it's still on very shaky ground. Only a short-sighted AD or one with no options would have stayed in that conference. The KU to the B10 rumor better work out or they may be the ones playing Memphis each year.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #678
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
That was a good win against VCU.

Are you talking about Dixon? He's decent, but one of the best shooting guards in the country? Not sure about that...

I don't think that's a controversial statement at all. He's in most top 10 lists I've seen. #2 in the nation in this list......

Ranking the shooting guards: McCollum, Dixon at the top - NCAAB - Sporting News

#7 in this list......

Early College Basketball 2012-13 Preview: The Nation's Top 10 Shooting Guards | Bleacher Report

#7 here.....

Position Rankings: Ranking the 20 best shooting guards | CollegeBasketballTalk
Old 11-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #679
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
They're right on track with my prediction. I predicted one loss through the tournament and that's exactly what we have. Our only loss is to the #2 team in the nation. No shame in that.

I don't think the SEC will be letting us go anytime soon. You don't take one of the top winning percentage programs over the previous five years and toss them to the curb over a bad season.

As for the B12, it's still on very shaky ground. Only a short-sighted AD or one with no options would have stayed in that conference. The KU to the B10 rumor better work out or they may be the ones playing Memphis each year.

kenpom.com subscription

Well his prediction if off of a larger sample size and seems just as valid as yours. You arent the only one allowed to make predictions ya know right?

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-25-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #680
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
kenpom.com subscription

Well his prediction if off of a larger sample size and seems just as valid as yours. You arent the only one allowed to make predictions ya know right?

I like punctuation. It's fun.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #681
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I hope he can live up to these rankings, I guess we will find out soon.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #682
korme
Go Reds

LOVE the Bearcats team this year. So fun to watch.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #683
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

8 or 9 losses sounds about right for Mizzou.

Same goes for the Badgers.

Last edited by mauchow : 11-25-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #684
Izulde
Head Coach

Using Bleacher Report as a source automatically invalidates your argument. I shit better articles than that site writes.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #685
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post
Yeah, the rebounding is concerning. It was a known concern coming into the year - with the new offense, Jarreau is the best option offensively at the 4, but he's a guard in a skinny 6'10" body with neither the bulk nor the attitude (yet) to be a strong rebounder.

Simmons has the potential to be good on the boards, and Romar might not have an option but to start Simmons even though he likes his energy and hustle off the bench.

Neither Suggs nor Wilcox seems to have the same crash the boards attitude Ross had, so we're not getting much of an edge at the wings.

A big problem is just how thin this roster is - Stewart hasn't shown he belongs at this level, nor has Breunig (though he at least flashes some potential). With McLaughlin bailing on this team - and from what I've read, they may have dodged a bullet - they just don't have any depth at the wings, so having Suggs out for any period of time really exposes that lack of depth. Similarly, Kemp being out takes away by far our 2nd best big after Aziz.

I'm also disappointed by Andrews so far, but that's probably just hype vs. the reality of him being in his first season of action at the D1 level. He at least displays reasons to believe he'll become a pretty good player - active on defense, able to drive and create his own offense, satisfactory PG ability (though I expect Nigel Williams-Goss to be the primary 1 next year).

I just hope the team can survive the injuries to Suggs & Kemp, keep improving and make some noise in conference play.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #686
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

That's the due who's suspended for sexual assault, right?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #687
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
8 or 9 losses sounds about right for Mizzou.

Same goes for the Badgers.

They had better not lose another one before conference play if you think Badgers are going to finish with single digit losses. Big Ten is going to be a load, and shaky PG play doesn't seem like a formula for excellence.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #688
hoopsguy
General Manager

Illini played terribly flat game at home, needed a 3 with seconds remaining to eke out a one point win against Gardner-Webb.

7-0, with two last minute threes wrapping around the impressive Maui run. Good to get those teachable moments in wins rather than losses, I suppose.

I didn't get to watch the whole game, but they played at least the final five minutes without their point guard. Not sure if there was an injury, discipline (he did start the game, so would be in-game) or just plain bad play issue going on there.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #689
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

UCLA looking good.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #690
MrBug708
Head Coach

The Howland death march begins

What scares me is that the next coach will probably be Romar...*sigh*
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #691
MrBug708
Head Coach

But go Cal Poly!
Old 11-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #692
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

Romar would bring in top 10 classes every year at UCLA. He is a scary good recruiter
Old 11-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #693
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Oh Bug - always stirring the pot.

Romar would get mentioned, but I have my doubts he'd leave his alma mater.

Never say never though - if this turns out to be a pretty tough year for him at Washington, a lot of idiots here that have no concept about where the UW fits within the college basketball world may make enough noise about Romar's job that he'd be willing to listen to get away from the know-nothings.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:57 PM   #694
MrBug708
Head Coach

I've seen enough mention that he'd get more then a look and he'd probably take it. He's hit a wall at UW and the program has probably peaked there.

I think it would be the only job he'd leave for and the only major program that would take a look at him at this juncture. He's high risk/high reward though
Old 11-26-2012, 12:02 AM   #695
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I've seen enough mention that he'd get more then a look and he'd probably take it. He's hit a wall at UW and the program has probably peaked there.

I think it would be the only job he'd leave for and the only major program that would take a look at him at this juncture. He's high risk/high reward though
I think you're underestimating his love for the UW. As long as he feels wanted here, he'll remain here. And it's certainly possible this season might be tough enough that there could be enough idiots calling for his head that he might feel like he's not appreciated enough, but what really matters is what the boosters and the AD think, and everything I've seen indicates they know how good they have it with Romar.

I do agree that UCLA would be the one job that would tempt him.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:05 AM   #696
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think he loves it very much so, but I think he also knows he's taken UW as far as it can go as a program. Had he never coached at UCLA and won a title, this conversation doesnt have any merit, but he would have it made here. African American coach who was part of the last title at one of the elite program's. Recruits would go nuts over it. We'd probably underachieve, but it takes one magical year ala Jim Harrick, amidst the disappointments.

But I think they kick Shaka's tires first. Plus our AD is Dan Guerrero.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:20 AM   #697
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I see the nutjobs over at Bruins Nation haven't even mentioned Romar yet. Lots of talk about Smart, Stevens, a Billy Donovan mention - no Romar though.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:46 AM   #698
MrBug708
Head Coach

Even I don't read BN
Old 11-26-2012, 01:25 AM   #699
Groundhog
Coordinator

Is it just me or does there seem to be quite a few more fairly major upsets early in the season than usual?
Old 11-26-2012, 06:55 AM   #700
Butter
Coordinator

Smart and Stevens? How many jobs do they have to turn down before people realize they're not going anywhere? At least not yet.