Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-10-2012, 02:27 AM   #6751
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
$3.6bn over 15 years / 14 teams -> ~$17.25M/team/year. I don't know how that compares.

The Big 12 is getting $20 million per team without giving up its tier 3 rights. I believe the PAC12 is around $19 million. The ACC got less money and rolled its tier 3 rights into the deal.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #6752
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The Big 12 is getting $20 million per team without giving up its tier 3 rights. I believe the PAC12 is around $19 million. The ACC got less money and rolled its tier 3 rights into the deal.

Within the big six conferences, ACC ranks on the lower side so it fits.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #6753
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Love all that's happening right below the BCS conferences. Poor Idaho and NMSU.

Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #6754
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So Chip Brown is fanning the flames of FSU/Clemson to the BigXII, but I just don't see it. The good news is I guess we'll know by early August, since August 15th is the deadline for ACC teams to announce they are withdrawing from the league.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-10-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #6755
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Seems like a very underwhelming deal that the ACC got today from ESPN.

Yeah, this may be a situation where the new deal could lead to more tension about teams leaving the conference rather than less. If you're going to make a deal to convince your members that you're the best option, you better demonstrate that you're a big player.

Quote:
$3.6bn over 15 years / 14 teams -> ~$17.25M/team/year. I don't know how that compares.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmi...n-tv-contract/
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #6756
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So Chip Brown is fanning the flames of FSU/Clemson to the BigXII, but I just don't see it. The good news is I guess we'll know by early August, since August 15th is the deadline for ACC teams to announce they are withdrawing from the league.

He also had Mizzou being forced to stay in the B12 and Notre Dame joining the B12 for the 2012/13 season. If he's good at anything, it's fanning the flames.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #6757
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post

Brilliant

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #6758
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_...makeovers#more

Analysis of the current TV deals by Kristi Dosh (who first made her name with the Business of College Sports webpage). Of note, she's not including third-tier money, probably because other than the B1G Network, it's still speculative.

Obviously the big thing that stands out is the SEC sitting behind everyone else. One would expect that they'll be looking to revise their current deals soon to tap into the new TV money prosperity. I would imagine that adding the two new teams provides them the means to renegotiate, assuming they were smart enough to put such a provision into their contracts.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #6759
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Obviously the big thing that stands out is the SEC sitting behind everyone else. One would expect that they'll be looking to revise their current deals soon to tap into the new TV money prosperity. I would imagine that adding the two new teams provides them the means to renegotiate, assuming they were smart enough to put such a provision into their contracts.

SEC renegotiation has been underway for nearly two months per Slive. Slive has been pretty coy about the process, but often jokes that he hears that the other conferences 'got a good deal' when asked for specifics about the SEC deal. Most believe that they have been drawing that process out until the other conferences complete their deals.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #6760
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Mizzou stadium expansion was revealed at a meeting by Alden. Expansion of the stadium to 81K seats with multiple decks of luxury boxes being added to east side of stadium. North side of stadium will remain grass GA seating. Expansion total is approx. $215M and will take three years to complete. Also planned is a fundraising campaign to improve training and athletic facilities.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #6761
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
$215 million and 3 years to add 10,000 seats? ROFL
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #6762
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

The best and worst experience I have ever had on a college football road trip was at a Husker game a few years ago during stadium renovation. The atmosphere and the fans were top notch but there was one way to get to the visiting section and about 15,000 fans had to enter and leave out that exit. It took at least an hour to get in and out of the stadium and I have no idea what would have happened had there been some sort of emergency. One can hope that Mizzou is doing it right.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #6763
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Total seat capacity will be 81K, which is a 17K increase over the current seat capacity of 64K. The 71K that you wrongly used for your calculation includes the 7K in GA seats. If you include the 7K in GA seating, total capacity will be 88K in the renovated stadium.

Memorial Stadium will be the 6th largest stadium in the SEC and the 12th largest stadium in college football after the expansion.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #6764
tarcone
Coordinator

SEC fans will think they are visiting a local H.S. stadium when they travel to Columbia. I hope the expansion upgrades that facility a ton. Otherwise, it is wasted money.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #6765
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Total seat capacity will be 81K, which is a 17K increase over the current seat capacity of 64K. The 71K that you wrongly used for your calculation includes the 7K in GA seats. If you include the 7K in GA seating, total capacity will be 88K in the renovated stadium.

Memorial Stadium will be the 6th largest stadium in the SEC and the 12th largest stadium in college football after the expansion.

If it truly is 81K, it would ranked as 17th largest
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #6766
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
If it truly is 81K, it would ranked as 17th largest

As noted, with 7K of GA seating, capacity at the renovated MU stadium would be 88K which is 12th in the nation.

The fact that seven of the top 13 stadiums in the nation would be in the SEC after the MU expansion is pretty impressive. Some big ass stadiums in that conference and most of those stadiums are usually full.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #6767
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
SEC fans will think they are visiting a local H.S. stadium when they travel to Columbia. I hope the expansion upgrades that facility a ton. Otherwise, it is wasted money.

It's a good point. There's quite a bit of money going into renovating the facilities that service the stadium. The restroom count was OK despite being relatively low because the B12 had the 'pass out' rule which allowed fans to go out to their cars at halftime to drink alcohol and many also used the portable toilets in the parking lots before returning for the second half. The SEC does not allow any 'pass out' rules, so they are going to have to double the restroom count at a minimum with all fans now staying within the stadium confines during halftime.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #6768
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Interesting that for something so obviously newsworthy, there is nothing out there on this.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #6769
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Interesting that for something so obviously newsworthy, there is nothing out there on this.

Was announced by Alden at St. Louis Mizzou Town Hall meeting tonight.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #6770
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

The Big 12 commissioner, errrrrr.....the president of UT speaks on the ACC teams to B12 rumors.......

Quote:
DeLoss Dodds on Big 12 expansion rumors: "I don't think the Florida State-Clemson thing has any basis at all."—

Chuck Carlton (@ChuckCarltonDMN) May 11, 2012
Old 05-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #6771
Ksyrup

"I don't think" - um, I think you would know, dude. Quit acting like someone else would be smack in the middle of that kind of talk if it was happening.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #6773
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Brett McMurphy ‏ @McMurphyCBS
Pitt filed a suit today against Big East to guarantee it can join ACC year early on July 1, 2013
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #6774
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Brett McMurphy ‏ @McMurphyCBS
Pitt filed a suit today against Big East to guarantee it can join ACC year early on July 1, 2013

There's fear that if Boise backs out, which is looking more and more likely, the Big East will try to hold them there.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #6775
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

Renderings have been posted by someone who has the drawings. Looks like most of the seats will be added by creating a second deck on the east side of the stadium and an increase in size of the south stands. New media and luxury boxes added to east and south of stadium. Hill on north will be moved in so it's not as far from field, allowing for more room for temporary seating above hill for larger crowds. Two more HD jumbotrons added to south end of stadium.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #6776
bronconick
College Starter

Warchant.com - FSU BOT Chair blasts ACC, opens door for Big 12

So, uh, don't put those FSU to Big XII rumors away yet.

I had no idea the ACC kept Tier 3 basketball rights but gave away football. If that's not "We're Tobacco Road and we're running this bitch" arrogance, I don't know what is.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #6777
General Mike
Pro Starter

To be fair, with tier 3 rights, the tier 3 for football is insignificant. In the case of FSU, it's there one FCS game a year, since the rest of their games are on TV. Where as there are 8 to 10 basketball games OOC that can be sold as tier 3
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #6778
bronconick
College Starter

So, on one hand, the Tier 3 rights mentioned are bogus. The ACC has no Tier 3 TV rights. The FSU president also said they aren't moving. Kind of sounds like Missouri's president from last year, though. Quite possibly the school lawyers jumped on the guy as well, as they really can't talk about leaving until they actually, you know, leave. On the other hand, turns out the contract is heavily backloaded, with only an increase of $1 million next year and not the $4 million originally believed until 2021 with escalator clauses that likely keep the ACC a distant 5th.

The belief is that the boosters possibly put him up to this to start stirring up the outrage that got A&M and Missouri moving.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...GlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Last edited by bronconick : 05-13-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #6779
Ksyrup

Don't need to stir up much outrage among the football fans, though. They're already there.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #6780
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
So, on one hand, the Tier 3 rights mentioned are bogus. The ACC has no Tier 3 TV rights. The FSU president also said they aren't moving. Kind of sounds like Missouri's president from last year, though. Quite possibly the school lawyers jumped on the guy as well, as they really can't talk about leaving until they actually, you know, leave. On the other hand, turns out the contract is heavily backloaded, with only an increase of $1 million next year and not the $4 million originally believed until 2021 with escalator clauses that likely keep the ACC a distant 5th.

The belief is that the boosters possibly put him up to this to start stirring up the outrage that got A&M and Missouri moving.

Florida State trustee may have lit the fuse on a potential move to the Big 12 - Yahoo! Sports

To be fair, it seems likely that the Big 12's deal probably does not start out at the full $20M per year (it is possible, but seems likely that that is the per year average that escalates over time).

Based on the info that has been coming out, I think the ball has been set in motion by the Big 12, Florida State, and Clemson (and probably began at the Big 12 meetings a week or two ago. I think the ACC will have to agree to some form of uneven revenue distribution (whether bowl-related or TV-related) in order to get in the football-centric schools into a competitive neighborhood. Otherwise, schools like FSU, Miami, Clemson, and Georgia Tech will fall significantly behind Florida, South Carolina, and Georgia in the next 15 years. I think one of the key statements made by the Florida State brass is that they are falling behind the Mississippi schools and Vanderbilt in terms of revenue.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #6781
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

This whole ACC thing just feels like the B12 all over again. Denial, followed by outrage when the deal given was relatively underwhelming.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #6782
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I'd argue that if Florida State, Miami, and Va Tech hadn't lost a step in football, the ACC would have been in much better shape for this round of TV negotiations. FSU can be as ticked off as they want, the fact remains that the ACC added football schools in the last round in preparation for this and they mostly fell flat.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #6783
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I'd argue that if Florida State, Miami, and Va Tech hadn't lost a step in football, the ACC would have been in much better shape for this round of TV negotiations. FSU can be as ticked off as they want, the fact remains that the ACC added football schools in the last round in preparation for this and they mostly fell flat.

Other conferences have teams step up. Michigan State and Wisconsin in the Big Ten in years where Michigan/OSU/Penn State were down. Oregon and Stanford for USC in the PAC-12. Auburn and Arkansas for Florida in the SEC.

The ACC isn't getting paid because Swofford has chosen maximum exposure for the conference over maximum revenue. It's basically the MAC choosing to play Tuesday night games just to get on TV even though 13 people show up in the stadium writ large. For a majority of the conference, that may be preferable, but obviously not for the schools competing directly with SEC schools.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #6784
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

Look...Clemson doesn't have a big stadium....but 88k counting general admission...that was hot in '92.

Cant believe that kinda cash is required to get THOSE numbers.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #6785
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Warchant.com - FSU BOT Chair blasts ACC, opens door for Big 12

So, uh, don't put those FSU to Big XII rumors away yet.

I had no idea the ACC kept Tier 3 basketball rights but gave away football. If that's not "We're Tobacco Road and we're running this bitch" arrogance, I don't know what is.

Yeah that might just bite them in the azz...apparently Clemson's Tier 3 FB rights exceed the entire leagues Tier 3 BB rights....this on the heels of the Tobacco Road block on the UNC additional penalty in retribution for the BS UNC pulled on Clemson in 83....has some old time orange money a little unhappy.

I don't think Big XII is imminent....but right now 2014 Clemson in the ACC would surprise, though not shock, me.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #6786
Ksyrup

Since I don't travel to any games, I'm not sure I care whether FSU plays in the ACC or Big XII. Outside of Miami, I don't particular care about any team in the ACC as far as rivalries go, so replacing those teams with OU, Texas, etc., might provide a little spark of something. SEC is really the only conference where that would matter to me. And with all the television/internet viewing opportunities, I'm not sure I would miss more FSU games just because they left the ACC.

I'm pretty meh on staying or leaving. The ACC feels like only a step above the Big East in prestige, so the move would probably be a good thing overall.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #6787
Butter
Coordinator

VCU to the A-10 in 2013-14. Good swap of Temple/Charlotte for Butler/VCU.

VCU joining Atlantic 10 in 2013 - CBSSports
Old 05-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #6788
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
VCU to the A-10 in 2013-14. Good swap of Temple/Charlotte for Butler/VCU.

VCU joining Atlantic 10 in 2013 - CBSSports

I think these kinds of moves could be a good side effect of the moves in the big conferences. I could easily see a few nice mid-major basketball conferences emerge when the dust settles in a few years.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #6789
wade moore
lolzcat

Rumors are swirling that VCU will announce today that they'll begin play in the A-10 this fall.

That would be unprecedented, wouldn't it? Announcing in May and moving that fall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #6790
Butter
Coordinator

I hadn't heard that.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #6791
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I hadn't heard that.

My sources > Yours.

I'm joking of course .

Some wannabe newsbreakers on the CAA Message boards are making the claim. "My wife's best friends' hairdresser's daughter plays tiddlywinks at VCU and was told that they will be playing in the A10 this fall".

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 05-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #6792
wade moore
lolzcat

CAA ADs have been notified that VCU is leaving effective immediately.

Press conference from VCU at 1:30.

Quote:
Old 05-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #6793
Butter
Coordinator

Now, I have heard that. Nice job, wm. Also hear that the A10 basically had their pick between either VCU or George Mason and went with VCU over GM.

Wonder if they will let Temple out a year early now to go to the Big East. If not, it's going to be a mighty awkward 15-team league schedule to work out for next season.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #6794
wade moore
lolzcat

I don't claim to have any major sources, I just read the CAA message board and they happened to have this early.

Good for VCU, good for the A-10, bad for the CAA.

Quote:
Old 05-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #6795
Swaggs
Coordinator

Wade Moore is an insider now.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #6796
Logan
Head Coach

Someone change his name to VCUBBF.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #6797
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Wade Moore is an insider now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Someone change his name to VCUBBF.

Almost spit out my water, thanks guys!

Quote:
Old 05-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #6798
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Your ideas are intriguing, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #6799
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

CAASupaFan with the insider scoop.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #6800
britrock88
Pro Starter

+1.

Also, not quite the appropriate place, but VIRGINIA/WISCONSIN in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge! I'll probably die of joy watching Tony Bennett and Bo's swingball go head-to-head.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote