Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-25-2017, 01:55 PM   #6501
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
If only there was a way to find out. Like a very simple way. Like a way that would've taken maybe 10 seconds to search and result in thousands of articles.

If you can think of a way, I would most certainly invest. This seems like something that should have been done already. 😀

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:03 PM   #6502
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
What is even more hilarious is the fact that NASCAR released a PR message shortly thereafter. I highly doubt they make the statement they did without Dale Jr. taking his position.

And yes, are we going to help out Puerto Rico anytime soon?

Not the right pigmentation for expedient help in the current administration.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:08 PM   #6503
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Well the midterm elections are coming up in the not so distant future and somebody with failed policies and complete failure of leadership should get trounced. However running on "Rich NFL players or the common people" platform may end up winning again. Most intelligent people can see right though that but we kind of thought the same thing last November right?

I agree. It's a time-tested plan he's using. Portray the darker skin folks as not "true Americans". Works even better if they became successful and you can call them spoiled. This is what the birther stuff was all about. It's what the stuff about left-handed pledges and not wearing lapel pins was about.

It works because it plays to racist beliefs without actually coming out and stating the racist belief.

And for some reason this country cares more about culture wars than anything else. This goes for both sides too. Maybe there is some kind of psychological reason for it but it's just how things are.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:13 PM   #6504
Atocep
Coordinator

What's astounding is the players being out there for the anthem is a paid recruiting tool by the government. We had no problem with players staying in the locker room for the anthem until the government was paying for patriotism and didn't get it.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:16 PM   #6505
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Not the right pigmentation for expedient help in the current administration.

I had that exact sentiment in my post, but ended up deleting it.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:21 PM   #6506
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
The longer this goes on the more he's Tommie Smith and John Carlos.

So the question becomes, who is our Peter Norman?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:36 PM   #6507
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

North Korea says that Trump declared war on them.

Fun Times
Old 09-25-2017, 04:23 PM   #6508
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Remember that time two days ago when Trump tweeted that Iran had tested a missile? Turns out they didn't. He was fooled by a video from months ago.

That seems like a dangerous precedent.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:11 PM   #6510
larrymcg421
Head Coach

That moment when your jingoistic alt-right hero is not a jingoistic alt-right hero...

PITTSBURGH STEELERS: Villanueva: Saluting anthem was last-minute decision, teammates didn't know | WPXI

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:53 PM   #6511
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Remember that time two days ago when Trump tweeted that Iran had tested a missile? Turns out they didn't. He was fooled by a video from months ago.

This is why your President should listen to his own intelligence instead of reports from Fox News.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:03 PM   #6512
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Sounds more like a dangerous President to me.

Boom!

(I'll get my coat)
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:00 PM   #6513
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Sounds more like a dangerous President to me.

Boom!

(I'll get my coat)

Old 09-25-2017, 07:26 PM   #6514
Edward64
Head Coach

Let's get to tax reform now.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/25/politi...tus/index.html
Quote:
Sen. Susan Collins announced Monday afternoon that she will oppose the GOP's latest plan to overhaul the Affordable Care Act, bringing the total number of public "no" votes to three and likely killing the last-ditch effort to repeal Obamacare this week.

In a statement, the Maine Republican said the bill does not go far enough to protect people with pre-existing conditions and that the proposal's cuts to Medicaid are too steep.

"Sweeping reforms to our health care system and to Medicaid can't be done well in a compressed time frame, especially when the actual bill is a moving target," Collins said. The bill would also "open the door for states to weaken protections for people with pre-existing conditions, such as asthma, cancer, heart disease, arthritis and diabetes."
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:27 PM   #6515
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Tax reform is great. Give D.C. 2 Senators and a Rep or exempt them from taxes.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:55 PM   #6516
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Tax reform is great. Give D.C. 2 Senators and a Rep or exempt them from taxes.

You have a point. Taxation without representation. Isnt that one of the reasons we revolted?

Old 09-25-2017, 07:58 PM   #6517
kingfc22
Head Coach

Trump handlers finally pulled him away from Fox News long enough to remind him to mention Puerto Rico. Of course this crisis is on them for having poor infrastructure to begin with.

But don’t worry, everything is “doing well”. This MFer is simply unreal.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 09-25-2017 at 08:02 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:01 PM   #6518
tarcone
Coordinator

Federal dollars may drive them to statehood.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:14 PM   #6519
Easy Mac

It's telling that his first concern is for Wall Street getting their money back, then kinda sorta the actual human devastation.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:09 PM   #6520
mckerney
Coordinator

No vote will be held on Graham-Cassidy. Now to see if they'll try to write and pass a new bill in 4 days time.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:32 PM   #6521
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
No vote will be held on Graham-Cassidy. Now to see if they'll try to write and pass a new bill in 4 days time.

yes but...

GOP already eyeing next chance to revive Obamacare repeal - POLITICO
Old 09-26-2017, 01:56 PM   #6522
bronconick
College Starter

They've been struggling to get 50+VP on health care alone. Does anyone think they can get 50+ on health care+ tax cuts?
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #6523
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Does anyone know Arizona law on replacing deceased Senators? This would be a lot easier with a reliable Yes vote instead of McCain.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:01 PM   #6524
Easy Mac

This line speaks volumes about Conservatives outlook on life:

Quote:
“it’s not like we couldn’t slip it in anyway.”
Old 09-26-2017, 04:43 PM   #6525
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
That moment when your jingoistic alt-right hero is not a jingoistic alt-right hero...

PITTSBURGH STEELERS: Villanueva: Saluting anthem was last-minute decision, teammates didn't know | WPXI
I think the multiple tours in Afghanistan as a Ranger made him a hero and a patriot regardless of what he did Sunday.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:49 PM   #6526
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If I were a GOP voter, I wouldn't be pissed just b/c Obamacare repeal has failed so far. Remaking health care is hard--see how long it took the Democrats to do it.

I'd be pissed that they already passed Obamacare repeal dozens (hundreds?) of times when Obama was president, but refused to just pass those same bills now that they have a Prez who will sign them.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:51 PM   #6527
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I think the multiple tours in Afghanistan as a Ranger made him a hero and a patriot regardless of what he did Sunday.

I tend to agree. However...

I served 9 years and my wife currently serves and I'm uncomfortable with how we tend to put service members on a pedestal. Villanueva came out and admitted he screwed up in how he handled this. But the immediate reaction by many was to praise him, buy his jerseys, and trash the rest of the Steelers players along with the NFL without giving thought to the fact that Villanueva may not be the good guy in this. I'm not saying he's the bad guy, but it's difficult to say he was in the right here.

We've become a society where it's unamerican to even question a service member and their service is used to push agendas more than anything.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:55 PM   #6528
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
If I were a GOP voter, I wouldn't be pissed just b/c Obamacare repeal has failed so far. Remaking health care is hard--see how long it took the Democrats to do it.

I'd be pissed that they already passed Obamacare repeal dozens (hundreds?) of times when Obama was president, but refused to just pass those same bills now that they have a Prez who will sign them.

If I were a GOP voter I'd be pissed that repealing Obamacare has become more about doing to say you did it rather than fix anything. They've openly tried to make healthcare worse for the population as a whole because they're focused on wrong problems.

Repealing Obamacare and doing nothing else would be better than what they've tried to do. They just know it would be political suicide to do so now that more people have some form of healthcare.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:39 PM   #6529
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

What you mean, the Dems drafted it in 3 hours and snuck it into law. That's what my reps tell me in SC.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:40 PM   #6530
Easy Mac

I expect articulate Trump to emerge now that Twitter is jumping to 280 characters.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:19 PM   #6531
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I tend to agree. However...

I served 9 years and my wife currently serves and I'm uncomfortable with how we tend to put service members on a pedestal. Villanueva came out and admitted he screwed up in how he handled this. But the immediate reaction by many was to praise him, buy his jerseys, and trash the rest of the Steelers players along with the NFL without giving thought to the fact that Villanueva may not be the good guy in this. I'm not saying he's the bad guy, but it's difficult to say he was in the right here.

We've become a society where it's unamerican to even question a service member and their service is used to push agendas more than anything.

Thank you for saying this, Atocep. I worry sometimes about how our country manages to move these sorts of issues into a zone where being a veteran lends someone a special expertise or gravitas...like service somehow makes them more of a citizen (in like a Starship Troopers sense) than everyone else. I've got a brother who is a lieutenant colonel in the Air Force. He's an awesome human being (despite the fact that he's still my stupid kid brother...not sure how that happened). He did three tours in Afghanistan and 1 in Iraq. I'm immensely proud of him. He'd also be the first person to remind me that his education is in Business, not Constitutional Law. The national anthem means something different to him than it does to me because of his experiences, but that doesn't make what it means to me somehow less than or inadequate. Just different.

A reflection of that difference is that the national anthem business doesn't really mean much to me except as an excuse to eat more popcorn when I'm scrolling through Facebook.

That said, my official take on it is that if someone wasn't upset about Tim Tebow taking up company time to kneel in prayer on the sidelines, then they can't really be upset about this, either.

(And I say that acknowledging that I only get pissed off about protests when I disagree with what people are protesting for. I'm as hypocritical as the next guy, but I'd like to think that I'm at least self-aware enough to realize that I'm hypocritical.)
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:36 PM   #6532
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

We elected a man who trashed a POW for getting captured and belittled a gold star family.

Service members are now just pawns for politicians and their minions to show off faux-patriotism. I'd argue the country doesn't really care at all about them.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:38 PM   #6533
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

How many times have I mentioned in some form or fashion that Trump's support only extends insofar as he delivers?

Roy Moore didn't just win today's runoff, he pretty well trounced the establishment pick that Trump campaigned for.

The WSJ coverage had a beautiful bit that I'm almost giddy about
Quote:
Mr. Moore’s victory could encourage other outsider candidates to challenge incumbent Republicans in the 2018 midterm election, and Mr. Bannon has made plain he wants to help them.

“We’re not going to hug out our differences,” he said at the Moore rally. “We’re going to fight at the ballot box.”

More & more, I'm starting to wonder if we shouldn't have just elected Bannon.

edit to add: It's easy to say "oh, it's just Alabama being Alabama" however, how many Trump voters do you think are the "hug it out" type? I dare say it's a damned low percentage.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-26-2017 at 09:39 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:40 PM   #6534
Easy Mac

i still don't get why Trump didn't stump for Moore. He's essentially a more horrible Trump with less money.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:42 PM   #6535
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
How many times have I mentioned in some form or fashion that Trump's support only extends insofar as he delivers?

Roy Moore didn't just win today's runoff, he pretty well trounced the establishment pick that Trump campaigned for.

The WSJ coverage had a beautiful bit that I'm almost giddy about

More & more, I'm starting to wonder if we shouldn't have just elected Bannon.

Republicans spent $10 million to try to defeat Moore. McConnell and Co found him so dangerous they spent huge dollars and had the administration campaign for Strange and they still lost. The losses pilling up for McConnell astounding.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:42 PM   #6536
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
i still don't get why Trump didn't stump for Moore. He's essentially a more horrible Trump with less money.

I think -- and this is the reason I felt like Trump's mistake in choices is kind of forgivable -- Trump was being loyal to someone that supported him, fairly early on too IIRC.

The message -- which I'm not particularly confident will be heard -- that was sent back to Trump was "get shit done ... or we'll find people that will"

McConnell backing the loser here feels awfully big to me too. Not sure you could get a much bigger kiss of death than that. (for a candidate, not for McConnell himself)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-26-2017 at 09:42 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:29 PM   #6537
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well normally I'd be happy that a Trump-backed candidate lost (but Donald you said he win!), but Moore is so much more in Trump's style, and so anti-gay that I can't really say I'm happy he won.

http://time.com/4958583/roy-moore-lu...-donald-trump/

Last edited by Thomkal : 09-26-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:34 PM   #6538
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

Whooooooooosh

Old 09-27-2017, 01:01 AM   #6539
RainMaker
General Manager

That Roy Moore dude is a nutter. Damn. Well done Alabama. You're where you are for a reason.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:58 AM   #6540
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Trump's been deleting all his Luther Strange tweets. Before the general election he's going to claim he was the first to endorse Moore.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:00 AM   #6541
miked
College Starter

I love how all these people that shout "constitution" and are so pissed that illegals break the law, keep getting behind folks that do not seems to respect the constitution or laws...
Old 09-27-2017, 07:00 AM   #6542
Groundhog
Coordinator

Class Trump-ism on delivierng aid to Puerto Rico:

"This is an island sitting in the middle of an ocean. It’s a big ocean, it’s a very big ocean."

I'm going to try this next time I'm in a meeting and something comes up that I know next to nothing about... Say the one (unrelated, if possible) thing I do know about it, and then emphasis my own point.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:16 AM   #6543
Thomkal
Head Coach

Donald Trump's Attempt At Using Usain Bolt To Slam NFL Players Spectacularly Backfires
Old 09-27-2017, 12:35 PM   #6544
Easy Mac

They keep turning up voter fraud in the oddest places:

Jared Kushner registered in New York as a female voter

Quote:
"Kushner can't even fill out the most basic paperwork without screwing it up, so it's a mystery why anyone thinks he's somehow going to bring peace to the Middle East," Brad Bainum, a spokesperson for the group, told Wired about the mistake. "Would anyone but the president's son-in-law still have a West Wing job after repeated disclosure errors and a botched a security clearance form?"

I think he mean's daughter-in-law.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:49 PM   #6545
larrymcg421
Head Coach

When Moore inevitably wins the general election, I look forward to the Bernie/Stein crowd claiming Doug Jones wasn't sufficiently progressive enough to win.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 09-27-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:47 PM   #6546
Thomkal
Head Coach

Paul Horner, writer of fake news about 2016 election, found dead - CBS News
Old 09-27-2017, 02:19 PM   #6547
Kodos
Resident Alien

That's a shame.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:32 PM   #6548
Drake
assmaster

Better than the Tebow analogy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1cd52DS.jpg (50.0 KB, 96 views)
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:37 PM   #6549
Edward64
Head Coach

The tax plan framework is coming out. TBH, not sure how it works out for me but good to know they are working on it.

Details of GOP tax plan framework revealed - Sep. 27, 2017
Quote:
CNN obtained a copy Wednesday of a Republican framework for tax reform that has been in the works for months and will finally be presented Wednesday.

The blueprint, which President Trump will discuss in a speech Wednesday, omits many critical details and numbers that congressional tax writers will now have to decide on as they draft legislation.

It's not clear yet, however, just how closely the tax-writing committees will hew to that framework since it's been negotiated behind closed doors by just six key players from the White House, House and Senate. And even that small group -- known as the Big Six -- took a long time to reach broad agreement.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:23 PM   #6550
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Better than the Tebow analogy.

The amusing thing is, she didn't protest, she refused to do her job. The players are still doing their job.