Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-05-2017, 07:48 AM   #6451
tarcone
Coordinator

I love My Cousin Vinny. Watch it whenever it comes on.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:21 AM   #6452
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I love My Cousin Vinny. Watch it whenever it comes on.

Definitely seems like that kinda movie. After I watched it, I left it on the DVR and watched it again the next night
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:21 PM   #6453
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Doctor Strange - 6/10

If you love knowing that a lot of people worked on visual effects - you'll love this movie! The movie shows you 95% of everything it has from a visual effects standpoint in the opening scene - so there is no sense of wonder when that same stuff happens over and over again later. Personally I found myself totally tuning out during the action scenes and thinking "this might as well be a Transformers movie."

The "jokes" fall super flat.

It's well acted and looks great, but every rough edge has been polished off of this thing. It is both totally acceptable, and a movie I am certain I will remember absolutely nothing about in a decade.

It's a perfectly safe, completely paint by numbers super hero movie.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:05 PM   #6454
korme
Go Reds

LOGAN

A slight victim to the hype machine, it was a minor letdown. Still the best Wolverine exclusive movie of the bunch - but it got a little boring in the middle TBH. The graphic nature of it was actually welcoming as it became more aware of the reality of the violence instead of the comic-nature of laughing off/dismissing the fighting and brutality. Good but not great like these RT ratings are suggesting. Bonus points for the "Shane" sequence and quotes. 7/10

Also saw Get Out and have generally the same sentiments in regards to the hype machine, I thought it was good but not as amazing as people seem to be thinking. The acting was brutal in parts, but maybe that was part of the design. 7/10
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:40 PM   #6455
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Doctor Strange - 6/10

If you love knowing that a lot of people worked on visual effects - you'll love this movie! The movie shows you 95% of everything it has from a visual effects standpoint in the opening scene - so there is no sense of wonder when that same stuff happens over and over again later. Personally I found myself totally tuning out during the action scenes and thinking "this might as well be a Transformers movie."

The "jokes" fall super flat.

It's well acted and looks great, but every rough edge has been polished off of this thing. It is both totally acceptable, and a movie I am certain I will remember absolutely nothing about in a decade.

It's a perfectly safe, completely paint by numbers super hero movie.

Agree 100%. The building morphing stuff looked cool the first time we see it, ala the similar sequence in Inception, but that was about it for me as far as being dazzled. First time I haven't been super impressed by Cumberbatch.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:31 AM   #6456
Edward64
Head Coach

John Wick 2. 7/10

I'm a fan of the first movie and the second movie did not disappoint. The originality was no longer there (e.g. the gun-fu moves) but it was very entertaining if you go in just expecting an action movie.

In another review, it said there was more "world building" which I agree with. Looks as if there will be several other movies in the series.

BTW, when walking out the theater, saw a poster for the next Aliens movie coming out this May. Looking forward to that one also.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:38 AM   #6457
SteveM58
Mascot

Hacksaw Ridge - 8/10

Definitely a great character story, with WW2 as the backdrop. But there are some really intense combat scenes as well.

I liked Andrew Garfield's performance a lot. Much more than I expected to based on what (admittedly limited) I saw in the Spiderman reboot.
SteveM58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:14 AM   #6458
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM58 View Post
Hacksaw Ridge - 8/10

Definitely a great character story, with WW2 as the backdrop. But there are some really intense combat scenes as well.

I liked Andrew Garfield's performance a lot. Much more than I expected to based on what (admittedly limited) I saw in the Spiderman reboot.

Garfield has become a great actor. Don't take Spiderman as a baseline for his ability. I recommend 99 Homes for you
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #6459
SteveM58
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Garfield has become a great actor. Don't take Spiderman as a baseline for his ability. I recommend 99 Homes for you
Wow, I must have been under a rock when that movie came out because I'd watch almost any movie with Michael Shannon in it. Watched the trailer and looks great...going to check it out soon. Thanks!
SteveM58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #6460
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I liked Garfield a lot in The Social Network, too, but most here have probably seen that.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:27 PM   #6461
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I liked Garfield a lot in The Social Network, too, but most here have probably seen that.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:31 PM   #6462
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #6463
Kodos
Resident Alien

Saw "Arrival" this weekend. Thoroughly enjoyed it, although I feel like I need to watch it a second time.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:36 AM   #6464
Kodos
Resident Alien

Edge of Seventeen - This coming-of-age tale is a little too predictable, but Hailee Steinfeld was great in it. She is going to be a big star. 7.5 out of 10.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:52 AM   #6465
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Elle - 6/10

So yeah. Not sure if maybe "no means no" hasn't been introduced to France yet, but I was generally uncomfortable with the main plot line, and the protagonist isn't exactly a good friend to others around her. Anyway, it was mildly entertaining, if the whole thing didn't leave me scratching my head. Main actress apparently is in her 60s, which you would never know.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:54 AM   #6466
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

The Devils Candy - 7/10 - This is the second film from the guy who made The Loved Ones - It has visual flair and a great villain performance by the guy from Identity, but some of it was just bad. (CG Fire for instance) The ending had a chance to be disturbing and, in my mind, better.. But instead it went in a direction most movies go in. I liked it enough that I will still be watching for his next film, but there were a few missteps in this one that could have been easily remedied IMO.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:41 AM   #6467
Edward64
Head Coach

Logan - 7/10

I enjoyed the action but didn't like half of the storyline. If it was only about Logan and his trials, tribulations & adventures as he ages, that's great.

Because it added the dimension of the other mutants without really explaining what/how happened (it may be explained in the comic books but I don't read them), this movie (& ending) is going to stick with me when I see any other X-men movies and spoil it for me.

With that said, great and brutal special effects and action.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:42 AM   #6468
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Saw "Arrival" this weekend. Thoroughly enjoyed it, although I feel like I need to watch it a second time.

I was telling my wife the other day that there seems to be more and more movies where I have to watch it a couple times to feel that I got it. Not sure if its me or just more complex story telling, prob both.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:03 AM   #6469
PilotMan
Head Coach

Cult Classic in the making here:

Shia LaBeouf Thriller 'Man Down' Sells Just One Ticket at U.K. Box Office

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:44 PM   #6470
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder who that guy/gal was?
Old 04-05-2017, 01:50 PM   #6471
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I wonder who that guy/gal was?

Shia. I think he moved his art installation to the UK.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:41 PM   #6472
Kodos
Resident Alien

In all fairness, the one person did give the move 4 stars.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:15 PM   #6473
Groundhog
Coordinator

Rogue One - 7/10

It was OK - I really liked some of the characters (Chirrut & Baze in particular were awesome), but the film itself was so-so. I probably would've enjoyed it more at the cinema given how action-focused it was. Vader pushed it up from a 6.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:40 AM   #6474
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Soaked in Bleach - 6/10 (presentation) 8/10 (information)

I don't know if Courtney Love had Cobain killed but, in the least shocking news ever, she was sketchy as hell here. Same goes for the Seattle PD. Maybe it was suicide and Tom Grant is presenting an incredibly skewed version of events to make a small amount of money off of things.

I tend to lean towards Courtney or Dylan accidentally killing him then scrambling to cover it up.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:50 AM   #6475
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Logan - 7/10

I enjoyed the action but didn't like half of the storyline. If it was only about Logan and his trials, tribulations & adventures as he ages, that's great.

Because it added the dimension of the other mutants without really explaining what/how happened (it may be explained in the comic books but I don't read them), this movie (& ending) is going to stick with me when I see any other X-men movies and spoil it for me.

With that said, great and brutal special effects and action.

Spoilers for obvious reasons:

Spoiler
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:48 PM   #6476
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Split: 10/10 - Oh man, I didn't think I would ever like another Shyamalan movie. I don't yet know if the 10 is hyperbolic because I just watched it, but damn I loved the twist. He finally figured out a way to make me say Oh Shit!! again. McEvoy was awesome in his role as well. The negative reviews on this film confuse me because they do not seem to acknowledge the total package and how cool continuing to build on that package could be.

FUCK EA
Old 04-08-2017, 08:17 PM   #6477
Suicane75
Coordinator

I knew the Split twist going in but I still really liked it. I'd give it a solid 7/10. There was some dark shit in there, man.

Kong, Skull Island was a fucking mess. Just about every character that gets introduced makes you feel like you should be marking a checklist for "Big Action Movie Stock Characters". There's a constant pull between serving the mythology and introducing new stuff, and neither work. John Reilly was wasted, I'd have much rather the movie was more about him and less about the 40 other characters. The only redeeming thing was that the fight between Kong and the Lizard was pretty awesome.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:38 PM   #6478
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

All I know is I am down for a Shyamalan superhero universe. I hope he keeps with it.

FUCK EA
Old 04-09-2017, 01:35 AM   #6479
Groundhog
Coordinator

I watched Split on Friday and I agree, the ending added another couple of points on for me, and made the rest of the movie better in hindsight, too. It made a lot more "sense", in a superhero kind of way. Easily my favourite movie of his since Unbreakable (which I rate more than 6th sense).
Old 04-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #6480
Suicane75
Coordinator

I think I liked 6th Sense better, but a lot of that is based on the fact that I saw it on opening day, in the afternoon, and to a tee, the entire audience gasped at the twist. Strangers were sharing their thoughts with each other as we emptied out of the theatre and it was just a really cool experience.

That being said, I think Unbreakable is criminally underrated and is one of my favorite movies ever.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:39 PM   #6481
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I have similar thoughts on those two films. Sixth Sense is a great twist and a very good movie. But, in the spirit of Carman Bulldog's contest, if the two are side by side on the TV, I am watching Unbreakable. There is so much great about that movie.

Split was very good, too, first in a long time from M. Night that I enjoyed (although I don't think the twist gets me as strongly as others here have said for them).

Old 04-09-2017, 10:45 PM   #6482
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah for me, the Sixth Sense is a good movie with an all-time great twist. It's almost as good the 2nd time through with the twist in mind, but I don't think I've ever wanted to watch it a 3rd time. I think I've seen Unbreakable a dozen times or more.

I thought Split was pretty great up until the beast, where I thought (in the context of the movie to that point) it started to get a bit silly. I still liked it, but the twist gave the rest of the movie the appropriate filter in hindsight.

I will say though that, as good as Split was, some of the dialogue M. Night puts together is just plain awkward, in a "no one would ever say that" kind of way. I think he tries to channel his inner Tarantino and never quite gets there. In Split I thought the psychiatrist had a few scenes where she had to bumble her way through some awkward lines... I'll nearly forgive him for his physical appearance in Split, because he was not terrible, but still felt out of place.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:49 PM   #6483
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Rogue One - 7/10

It was OK - I really liked some of the characters (Chirrut & Baze in particular were awesome), but the film itself was so-so. I probably would've enjoyed it more at the cinema given how action-focused it was. Vader pushed it up from a 6.

Probably 7/10 for me as well. The biggest disappointment to me was the music, which at times made me cover my ears at times, especially when compared to the John William melodies. But it was fun to see X-wings fly around again and I thought Tarkin was especially well done. The last scene in the movie still brings a tear to my eye thinking about it.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:15 PM   #6484
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Yeah, I'd probably give Rogue One a 6 or a 5...in the end all the "this one's good, I promise" hype worked against me, as I had set my bar a little too high and was disappointed by just how many callback and 'homage' scenes there were....we've ALL seen all 8(?) of these fucking movies by now, I really don't need you to blow smoke up my ass every 5 minutes to remind me. Remember Wedge?!? Remember how Porkins died?!? Remember C-3P0?!? YES! I remember! Remember how to make a compelling goddamn movie?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:29 PM   #6485
Edward64
Head Coach

Collateral Beauty - 7/10

Enjoyed it ... who would have thought Will Smith would be so versatile from the Fresh Prince days. The ending was too neat and the subject matter is every parents fear, made me cringe to watch him go thru it.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:03 PM   #6486
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Beauty and the Beast (Live-action) 9/10 - I had ZerO expectations of this being great. I thought it would be ...okay...

So blown away really. The previews showed a frowny, gloomy Emma Watson that didn't have the spark that Belle had in the animated version. But there was so much more to her that that. Kevin Kline is a masterful actor and added a lot of great scenes. I like that this version combined the stage musical plot a little into the animated script...especially with regard to the servants slowly turning into objects...and that they have been since the curse...seeing the pain they are going through is even more dreadful than the Beast itself....
and the beast is fantastic. I always thought the animated one made him looke TOO cartoony, especially in the face. There wasn't enough dimension to it. But that was solved here. And Dan Stevens was fantastic. So much better than Robby Benson in emotional dynamic and making scenes and progression more believable. The supporters were great. really liked Josh Gad and the bitching and moaning was just that. There really wasn't THAT much regarding the complaints and having him actually pine for Gaston makes his character even more believable and definitely gives him more motivation. Definitely gave his number more oompf. Again less cartoony, more reality. The ONLY thing that REALLY bothered me....was Ewan MacGregor's accent. It didn't sound real. Granted it is not. He is scottish. I'm realizing however that I've seen two many movies and might not actually know what an authentic French Accent sounds like.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:28 PM   #6487
QuikSand
lolzcat

The Gambler

Wow, on paper, for me at least, this is a 9/10 with aspirations of being a 10/10.

The basic pitch is: a professor who leads a double life as a high stakes gambler (addict) who's in serious money trouble through his own doing. Setting works for me, just fine. Mark Wahlberg in the lead - maybe not an ace here, but we have seen he's capable of doing well with good material. There are a couple heavy-snark dialogue scenes (available on YouTube) that suggest this might fit ideologically somewhere into a quirky Fight Club vibe, or Leaving Las Vegas, or something along those lines. In any event, there's hope that some actual thought went into the script. We've got a perky Brie Larson in the female lead, again not exactly my first choice (this is the first thing I have seen her in, that I know of), but check, she's fine. Supporting cast includes John Goodman as an intimidating loan shark with echoes of Walter from Lebowski, with a couple near-nude scenes at no extra charge. Sprinkle in a handful of supporting players very familiar from The Wire and Homicide, and just for good measure a dash of gratuitous female nudity and pole dancing. It's like this movie was built as a result of some sort of personal data-mining from yours truly.

The Gambler, 4/10

Wow, does this movie ever manage to miss in every small way possible. It's not unwatchable, but... oh, man. What could have been.

Last edited by QuikSand : 04-23-2017 at 06:29 PM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #6488
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
The Gambler

Wow, on paper, for me at least, this is a 9/10 with aspirations of being a 10/10.

The basic pitch is: a professor who leads a double life as a high stakes gambler (addict) who's in serious money trouble through his own doing. Setting works for me, just fine. Mark Wahlberg in the lead - maybe not an ace here, but we have seen he's capable of doing well with good material. There are a couple heavy-snark dialogue scenes (available on YouTube) that suggest this might fit ideologically somewhere into a quirky Fight Club vibe, or Leaving Las Vegas, or something along those lines. In any event, there's hope that some actual thought went into the script. We've got a perky Brie Larson in the female lead, again not exactly my first choice (this is the first thing I have seen her in, that I know of), but check, she's fine. Supporting cast includes John Goodman as an intimidating loan shark with echoes of Walter from Lebowski, with a couple near-nude scenes at no extra charge. Sprinkle in a handful of supporting players very familiar from The Wire and Homicide, and just for good measure a dash of gratuitous female nudity and pole dancing. It's like this movie was built as a result of some sort of personal data-mining from yours truly.

The Gambler, 4/10

Wow, does this movie ever manage to miss in every small way possible. It's not unwatchable, but... oh, man. What could have been.

The original is a lot better. They keep trying and failing to remake these 70's films because the films of the 70's had the grit necessary to make a premise like this worth following through on. Try to modernize it though, and it loses everything that made it good initially.

FUCK EA
Old 04-23-2017, 09:42 PM   #6489
Suicane75
Coordinator

Read that as a couple of near nude John Goodman scenes. He's gotten in better shape, but I still don't think I'm up for that.

Bone Tomahawk: 2 2/3 Out of 10. Boy, if watching a one legged man walk through the old west for 2 hours is your bag, then this is the movie you've waited your whole life for.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:54 PM   #6490
Dreghorn2
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
The original is a lot better. They keep trying and failing to remake these 70's films because the films of the 70's had the grit necessary to make a premise like this worth following through on. Try to modernize it though, and it loses everything that made it good initially.

It is, and you're exactly right.
Dreghorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:43 PM   #6491
Groundhog
Coordinator

With all the hype of the new Alien movie, I watched Prometheus last night. I saw it at the cinema back when it was released and thought it was OK, but I enjoyed it a ton more the 2nd time through.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:12 AM   #6492
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
With all the hype of the new Alien movie, I watched Prometheus last night. I saw it at the cinema back when it was released and thought it was OK, but I enjoyed it a ton more the 2nd time through.

I know I'm in the minority, but I really liked Prometheus at first showing.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:55 PM   #6493
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Prometheus was a mixed bag for me. I thought the visuals were terrific, and the story interesting, but the direction the story went was typical of Alien movies.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:16 PM   #6494
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I'm right in the middle of the curve that thought Prometheus was a ridiculous mess.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:27 PM   #6495
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Prometheus was a mess. It's a hot garbage of a movie. It's a shame because given that cast and that budget and the general structure, it should have been great. Sadly, it wasn't. It was largely nonsensical garbage. Such a stupid, stupid movie.

I found an email to some friends from June 2012, where I shared my thoughts. Here is my unedited review of the movie the day after I saw it:

"The more I thought about the movie, the less well it holds together. It was beautiful and there is a really compelling movie with some interesting characters in there, but neither ever manages to fully emerge. Despite a pretty promising set up and potentially engaging characters everything just sort of fell apart into one giant mess.

Over all, there were some interesting themes and ideas. The whole notion of the creation killing their creators (gods vs. titans, humans vs. the engineers) was interesting. I looked at those paintings as a way for the Engineers to point to a place for the humans to go to - once they evolved to a certain extent - so that the Engineers would meet them, learn they have evolved to the point where they were a potential threat, and then destroy that threat. The are certain other interpretations of all that, but it would explain why the Engineer who woke up was so hell bent on killing everyone.

I also didn't mind the notion of a super rich guy funding a massive expedition to seek out his maker, get these great questions answered and perhaps even gain immortality. Perfectly fine set up.

I also didn't mind the whole idea of: this is how the aliens from Alien, Aliens, etc. eventually came about. I am fine with an alien origin story, even if it did feel a bit tacked on.

The problem was, however, that so much of it was nonsensical.

There was no consistency to the "black goo". It dissolves the Engineer at the beginning, which I took to be the genesis of life on earth. It creates some weird lizard-tentacle thing out of little worms on the planet, it makes one guy super sick and gives him tentacle beast impregnating sperm, and turns another guy into a crazy-ass rage zombie. The "black goo" seemed to be all things to all people.

Then you have the characters... They were all so incomplete. Shaw's whole religion/heaven thing with the cross and her father and all of that felt very tacked on. Whenever it came up it seemed very much out of place and ham-fisted. It wasn't a necessary part of her character, but they kept trying to make it so.

Charlize Theron was awesome as Vickers. She looked great and seemed to have a feel for the character. The problem was, however, that she really never did anything and was never fully realized. She never really exhibited any kind of control and other than burning that infected guy - who should have been burned - never really made a "hard call." She was super cautious and a total survivor, but disappeared for a long swath in the movie and then her "survivor" instincts involved her ejecting instead of going on a suicide run. It seemed like a total waste of a potentially awesome character. Also, I get her super cautious ways. With her own life-boat and her super rare amazing surgical machine in case something ever happened to her. Of course, it made no sense that her her super rare amazing surgical machine was ONLY CALIBRATED FOR A MAN. As Eowyn would says, "Charlize Theron is no man." Maybe they could explain that the whole setup was really for Weyland, but then that undercuts what appeared to be Vickers over-riding personality trait.

That c-section scene was excellent, by the way.

Michael Fassbender was great as David, but his motivations and actions just don't add up over the course of the film. The whole robot-as-betrayer thing has been done before (ALIEN) and done better. At least in Alien it made sense, here he was just all over the map. Why was he so obsessed with the black goo. There was no indication that anyone knew anything about it, but he was all over it like white on rice when they first got into that chamber. I guess I could see him poisoning that one guy just to see what would happen to him - in order to protect Weyland - but why was he so adamant about trying to cryo-sleep Shaw when she had the tentacle thing inside her? That whole bring an alien back to be studied thing was never once mentioned as anyone's goal.

The rest of the characters were pretty much non-existent. Stringer Bell was cool as the captain, but, again, he was very much under-developed. I loved his decision to make the suicide run, but it would have been much more powerful if I cared at all about him or his two inexplicably loyal sidekicks. Also, how did he figure the whole, weapons of mass destruction meant for us thing? That was quite a leap and some helpful and lazy exposition.

The geologist punk/serial killer-looking guy and the biologist with the glasses were ridiculous. They are scientists, yet the moment they see some alien and probably the most interesting discovery ever, they decide to turn tail and run? Ok, fine. They just wander off in no direction. Then they get left behind. There is that whole "there is something alive down here!" moment that freaks them out and then is forgotten. And, finally, they decide to wander back into the very same chamber that freaked them out so bad they had to run away from? I wont even go into how stupid that so-called biologist was when encountering that alien tentacle thing.

Also, why was everyone always taking their helmets off? Especially after one of the crew got so sick that he had to be burned alive?

After that, there were no characters as far as I can remember. There was Shaw's boyfriend, but there wasn't much to him at all, really.

It doesn't take all that much to establish characters. They did it in Alien very quickly. They also managed to do it in Aliens. Sure, there are a handful of marines you never really get to know - but throughout the film you get a very good sense of at at least: Apone, Hicks, Gorman, Vasquez, Hudson, Ripley, Newt, Bishop and Burke. You know them well enough and care about (or hate) them enough that their deaths/fate has some impact. I didn't really care about anyone in this film.

So, it was super pretty, had some very interesting ideas that weren't properly explored and had some potentially interesting characters that never managed to develop. Over all, quite a frustrating film, but I am glad I saw it."
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 04-27-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:30 PM   #6496
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post

Same here. I really enjoyed it.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #6497
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Same here. I really enjoyed it.

The Alien movies are some of my all-time favorites. I thoroughly enjoyed Prometheus.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:48 PM   #6498
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
The Alien movies are some of my all-time favorites. I thoroughly enjoyed Prometheus.

That's just it. I love "Alien" and I consider "Aliens" one of my top three favorite movies of all time. Perhaps, top two. That only makes all of the rest of the Alien movie franchise since "Aliens" so frustrating. They have not, in general. been good.

As for my old Prometheus rant. I can't really support or defend it. It was almost 5 years ago and I haven't seen the movie since. I'm sure I was right, though.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:51 AM   #6499
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Damon Lindelof ruined Prometheus the way he ruined Lost.

FUCK EA
Old 04-29-2017, 08:04 AM   #6500
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post

I'm with you, I liked it.

The thing about space adventurers being caught unawares is getting a little old though. I want to see some space marines again. Aliens (#2) is one of my all time favorite (RIP Bill Paxton).