Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-24-2017, 09:53 PM   #6451
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
We are obviously coming at this from different angles.

I absolutely do support his right to protest. Just don't complain when there are repercussions from people that disagree with him.

When those repercussions are rarely expressed in a manner that isn't tacitly anti-constitutional, I'll go ahead and complain/point out the hypocrisy. It's a song that literally lionizes a war fought over the same types of issues that players are protesting over. I've yet to see a single person who can give an argument for why it's disrespectful that holds up to any scrutiny at all.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:58 PM   #6452
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
When those repercussions are rarely expressed in a manner that isn't tacitly anti-constitutional, I'll go ahead and complain/point out the hypocrisy.

TBH, I don't see where you are going with this. Sorry if I missed any earlier posts that explains this. Can you refer me to something or elaborate more on how blackballing him is tacitly anti-constitutional?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:00 PM   #6453
RainMaker
General Manager

He has shown more vitriol toward players kneeling before the national anthem than white supremacists who chanted about killing jews in Charlottesville.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:03 PM   #6454
Edward64
Head Coach

If that is directed towards me ... I am not a Trump supporter and am not defending him. There are some things I agree with and many more that I disagree with.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:12 PM   #6455
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm talking about Trump, not you. Sorry.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:20 PM   #6456
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I have two synthetic flags in great distress that I need to dispose of. There is no manner to do so according to the flag code. Some groups recommend cutting the stripes individually from the blue field and then throwing it all away in a normal trash can. The flag code is clear that you shouldn't throw away a flag.

What happens if people see me cutting up a flag? What if I say I'm cutting it in protest of Trump? What if I say I'm cutting it in protest of our lack of Christian morals? What if I say I'm protesting the stupid things in the last season of GoT?
Old 09-24-2017, 10:29 PM   #6457
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I have two synthetic flags in great distress that I need to dispose of. There is no manner to do so according to the flag code. Some groups recommend cutting the stripes individually from the blue field and then throwing it all away in a normal trash can. The flag code is clear that you shouldn't throw away a flag.

What happens if people see me cutting up a flag? What if I say I'm cutting it in protest of Trump? What if I say I'm cutting it in protest of our lack of Christian morals? What if I say I'm protesting the stupid things in the last season of GoT?

I've never seen anyone care about the flag stuff unless it involves labeling a minority as unpatriotic. It's a time-tested method by racists to try to differentiate themselves as "real Americans" opposed to those dark skin traitors.

Remember how much dumb shit came up with Obama and flag pins, left-handed pledges, office color schemes, and so on?
Old 09-24-2017, 10:35 PM   #6458
RainMaker
General Manager

And I'm not defending Kap's beliefs or anything. I just don't think this should be a national story that the President has made his primary focus. Especially when we're dealing with a maybe nuclear North Korea, a maybe nuclear Iran, health care, national debt, a US territory knocked back to the dark ages from a hurricane, and a slew of other important issues that actually impact people's lives. We're talking about a national anthem before mostly meaningless football games that the DoD pays the NFL for marketing purposes.

It's the equivalent of complaining about your neighbors shingles not meeting HOA regulations when a hurricane is minutes away.

We know why the President has chosen it, just sad the public bites on it.

Last edited by RainMaker : 09-24-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:04 PM   #6459
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
And I'm not defending Kap's beliefs or anything. I just don't think this should be a national story that the President has made his primary focus. Especially when we're dealing with a maybe nuclear North Korea, a maybe nuclear Iran, health care, national debt, a US territory knocked back to the dark ages from a hurricane, and a slew of other important issues that actually impact people's lives. We're talking about a national anthem before mostly meaningless football games that the DoD pays the NFL for marketing purposes.

It's the equivalent of complaining about your neighbors shingles not meeting HOA regulations when a hurricane is minutes away.

Well stated.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:07 PM   #6460
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
I'll go ahead and complain/point out the hypocrisy. It's a song that literally lionizes a war fought over the same types of issues that players are protesting over.
Wait, what? Are Kaepernick etc against impressment? The right of immigrants to control their destiny on this continent? The concept of a national bank? Francis Scott Key was kind of a racist dick, but I'm still pro War of 1812.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:50 AM   #6461
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

For all the people on here who think Trump is a buffoon (which he is) it's stuff like this he pulls off that amuses me. Nothing new at all had happened before this shitstorm but he completely shifted the narrative from his failure on health care again (and North Korea) back to an issue that he has all of his base (and then some) on. People can get mad at him all they want but they are the pawns in his game on this one unfortunately.

Last edited by panerd : 09-25-2017 at 06:51 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:53 AM   #6462
Easy Mac

Or, it gives us something else to complain/question his sanity about over the weekend while allowing us to continue to make fun of him during the week for his failure to get anything done at his actual job.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:54 AM   #6463
Easy Mac

Also, I like how the narrative is these players are pampered millionaires, while a good portion grew up in abject poverty and are literally the epitome of the American dream.

Meanwhile, his supporters support a guy who has almost certainly never driven a car before because he's grew up so rich.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:00 AM   #6464
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Or, it gives us something else to complain/question his sanity about over the weekend while allowing us to continue to make fun of him during the week for his failure to get anything done at his actual job.

Yeah I agree with you on this board as the political discussions tend to go deeper and even the disagreeements are mild. But completely disagree on other social media, tv, just general public. They are hook, line, and sinker on this one for sure. Again nothing happened to cause his tweet, not one thing, it's clearly calculated and absolutely working to perfection.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:01 AM   #6465
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Also, I like how the narrative is these players are pampered millionaires, while a good portion grew up in abject poverty and are literally the epitome of the American dream.

Meanwhile, his supporters support a guy who has almost certainly never driven a car before because he's grew up so rich.

Agree. However Keapernick is generally the target of this criticism since he is the face of this movement and he grew up adopted upper middle class so there is a counter arguement to be had by someone that actually knows a little more than Merica don't tread on me!
Old 09-25-2017, 07:08 AM   #6466
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Yeah I agree with you on this board as the political discussions tend to go deeper and even the disagreeements are mild. But completely disagree on other social media, tv, just general public. They are hook, line, and sinker on this one for sure. Again nothing happened to cause his tweet, not one thing, it's clearly calculated and absolutely working to perfection.

Its mainly his twitter bots flooding everything. I feel of the "major" mainstream news sources, Fox is the only one that will continue to hammer it as the day progresses, unless there's some fluff they need to push about Graham/Cassidy's revision to their latest EP or they float more stuff about corporate tax cuts.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:12 AM   #6467
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Its mainly his twitter bots flooding everything. I feel of the "major" mainstream news sources, Fox is the only one that will continue to hammer it as the day progresses, unless there's some fluff they need to push about Graham/Cassidy's revision to their latest EP or they float more stuff about corporate tax cuts.

I worked out at the gym this morning (with the barrage of tvs) and all the outlets ran mostly this story. (In fact Trump was tweeting again today about it to keep it in the news) The sports networks were the only ones that weren't spending as much time on it. This story is red meat for them pretty sure it will be front and center for a whole.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:42 AM   #6468
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Standing is a sign of respect. Kneeling is a sign of disrespect.

So when you kneel before God, that is being disrespectul?

What about when you kneel before Zod?
Old 09-25-2017, 07:48 AM   #6469
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Over three million U.S. citizens have no power, water or communications. The kneel story may dominate the news, but it certainly shouldn't.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:50 AM   #6470
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For all the people on here who think Trump is a buffoon (which he is) it's stuff like this he pulls off that amuses me. Nothing new at all had happened before this shitstorm but he completely shifted the narrative from his failure on health care again (and North Korea) back to an issue that he has all of his base (and then some) on. People can get mad at him all they want but they are the pawns in his game on this one unfortunately.

He's been in office less than a year and Trump can't pass any legislation and his approval rating is @40%. The distractions aren't working.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:02 AM   #6471
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:

So.... In exchange for a modest increase in short term support by his base of supporters, he gives the protesting players a larger platform and even more mainstream attention to their concerns. A platform that apparently runs against conservative desires. What a genius.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:09 AM   #6472
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
So.... In exchange for a modest increase in short term support by his base of supporters, he gives the protesting players a larger platform and even more mainstream attention to their concerns. A platform that apparently runs against conservative desires. What a genius.

Never said his plans were well thought out however I guess I would counter that he realizes where his votes are coming from and the kneeling side is not a big part of his reelection focus.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:22 AM   #6473
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
He's been in office less than a year and Trump can't pass any legislation and his approval rating is @40%. The distractions aren't working.

Well the midterm elections are coming up in the not so distant future and somebody with failed policies and complete failure of leadership should get trounced. However running on "Rich NFL players or the common people" platform may end up winning again. Most intelligent people can see right though that but we kind of thought the same thing last November right?
Old 09-25-2017, 08:27 AM   #6474
molson
General Manager

Very true. Taking the "right side" in these pop culture/morality/facebook topic of the day debates is so much more important to Trump's base than Obamacare or North Korea or anything else. That's why Russia can impact elections with thousands of facebook posts. (Though the news that Russia actually was successful in breaching voting machine security in at least some states, and attempted to in many more, seems to really be flying under the radar. But again, what an NFL player decides to do during the national anthem is way more important than that too, I guess). If Trump finds the right controversy regarding a sitcom star he could ride that all the way to another election win in 2020.

Last edited by molson : 09-25-2017 at 08:34 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:03 AM   #6475
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I've always heard to give old flags to the Boy Scouts who can dispose of it appropriately. Never tried, my synthetic flag is still holding up great.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:06 AM   #6476
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

And the changes I mentioned earlier to the travel ban have been getting very little attention on the news channels while they all have seemingly given large segments to the NFL/NBA tweets. Be nice if they focused more on the real issues than stuff he brings up to cover up the real issues.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:23 AM   #6477
Atocep
Coordinator

He takes shots at the NBA and NFL while praising Nascar. He couldn't possibly make his intentions more transparent.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:37 AM   #6478
Edward64
Head Coach

Regardless of where you stand, don't think you can blame him for this.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/...tional-anthem/
Quote:
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Alejandro Villanueva jersey sales are skyrocketing after he was the lone member of the Pittsburgh Steelers to stand for the national anthem before Sunday’s game against the Chicago Bears.

On Fanatics.com Villanueva’s jersey is now the top selling Steelers jersey, and one of the top selling jerseys in the entire NFL.

The rest of the Steelers remained in the locker room and tunnel behind Villanueva during the national anthem.

NFL fans were moved by Villanueva’s decision to emerge from the tunnel and stand for the anthem with his hand over his heart.

Villanueva is an ex-Army Ranger who served three tours in Afghanistan and is a bronze star recipient.

The Steelers elected as a team not to appear on the field for the national anthem before the game.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:45 AM   #6479
molson
General Manager

And related to all this - I notice the top story on CNN.com right now is Tom Brady's comments on Trump and the protests. With all the things going on in the world right now.....He's a football player, and by all accounts, not one who is particularly political or a deep thinker.

It's this weird mix of extremes. There's this tendency to define everyone by politics and their political beliefs, but we're doing it through this reality show/crappy journalism lens.

We were really building to this kind of thing as a country. But usually there's backlashes and we reset.

Last edited by molson : 09-25-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:45 AM   #6480
Thomkal
Head Coach

Anthony Weiner gets 21 months in prison for his "sexting case". I hope that is the last we hear of him in the political world.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #6481
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Regardless of where you stand, don't think you can blame him for this.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/...tional-anthem/

I think his story is amazing. He was a TE, OT, DT, WR who couldn't get on anywhere:

Quote:
Although he went undrafted in the 2010 NFL Draft, he received a try out with the Cincinnati Bengals as a tight end but did not make the team and went back into military service.[4] Two years later, he made a second attempt to play in the NFL again as a tight end. He was given a tryout and practiced with the Chicago Bears, but was not signed. After finishing his last tour with the Army Rangers, Villanueva decided to pursue his NFL career again and began working out at Savannah State College. In March 2014, he paid $245 to attend a regional NFL combine in Flowery Branch, Georgia. During this time, the NFL held ten regional combines nationwide and had over 3,000 prospects attend. In April 2014, he was one of 240 prospects invited to the NFL super regional combine in Detroit and met with representatives from the Philadelphia Eagles.[6]

He went from a 250lb DE to a 340lb OT in a year and got on with PIT. He's a truly amazing individual. The only think you can say is that he went against his coaches wishes to do something that he believe in. The coach is trying to keep a buffer between the players and the media by denying either to make a point. The team wasn't protesting. The coach wanted the team to stick together for the betterment of the team, and by removing them from the situation he didn't allow them to protest either. I love how the media is running with this like the entire team was sitting in the locker room playing jacks in protest, while this brave soldier stood out all alone. He was 15 feet from the rest of the team, who was also standing in the tunnel.

FFS, people, why isn't the President flying to Puerto Rico? Why didn't people get this mad when a Cleveland police officer blew a kid away from near point blank range after engaging him in less than 10 seconds? I don't get it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:59 AM   #6482
BYU 14
Coordinator

This could escalate very quickly. NK has drawn a line it will be hard to step back from now.

North Korea accuses U.S. of declaring war, says can take countermeasures
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:59 AM   #6483
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I think his story is amazing. He was a TE, OT, DT, WR who couldn't get on anywhere:

He went from a 250lb DE to a 340lb OT in a year and got on with PIT. He's a truly amazing individual. The only think you can say is that he went against his coaches wishes to do something that he believe in. The coach is trying to keep a buffer between the players and the media by denying either to make a point. The team wasn't protesting. The coach wanted the team to stick together for the betterment of the team, and by removing them from the situation he didn't allow them to protest either. I love how the media is running with this like the entire team was sitting in the locker room playing jacks in protest, while this brave soldier stood out all alone. He was 15 feet from the rest of the team, who was also standing in the tunnel.

FFS, people, why isn't the President flying to Puerto Rico? Why didn't people get this mad when a Cleveland police officer blew a kid away from near point blank range after engaging him in less than 10 seconds? I don't get it.

Yes you do. Its pretty simple.

Also, do you think people buying his jersey know he's only American by birth and his parents are foreigners? These are exactly the type of people they don't want here.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:08 AM   #6484
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Also, do you think people buying his jersey know he's only American by birth and his parents are foreigners? These are exactly the type of people they don't want here.

It's possible to admire him and what he did and not be anti-immigrant. I mean, it's pretty clear from his last name that he's not a good old boy from the south.

And his statements about what he did, and about the protests, was all about being a minority and how he felt blanket protests of America were short-sighted exactly because they overlooked that minorities are part of America and have a stake in this too - not just as victims or as some separate entities, but as individuals who can shape things in their own right.

Last edited by molson : 09-25-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:21 AM   #6485
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
He takes shots at the NBA and NFL while praising Nascar. He couldn't possibly make his intentions more transparent.

The one thing lost in this is that Dale Earnhardt, Jr., by far the most popular driver, has tweeted in favor of the kneelers (Junior tends to be Center Left on most social issues, I'd say - but a lot of folks don't realize it).
Old 09-25-2017, 11:28 AM   #6486
Atocep
Coordinator

So it sounds like the steelers had a players only meeting and the reason they stayed in the tunnel was to accommodate Villanueva. The players wanted to be all on the same page and Villanueva said he didn't want to be singled out. The compromise was all players stay in the tunnel. Villanueva went against what was decided, to accommodate his wishes, and separated himself from the team to go out there.

If what's being reported is true, all of the praise he's getting is probably going to be accompanied by some locker room resentment.

Last edited by Atocep : 09-25-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #6487
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It's possible to admire him and what he did and not be anti-immigrant. I mean, it's pretty clear from his last name that he's not a good old boy from the south.

And his statements about what he did, and about the protests, was all about being a minority and how he felt blanket protests of America were short-sighted exactly because they overlooked that minorities are part of America and have a stake in this too - not just as victims or as some separate entities, but as individuals who can shape things in their own right.

Wait you mean you can have an intelligent argument on both sides of the debate without resorting to name calling? STFU
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:32 AM   #6488
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Who knew Trump was still this pissed about the USFL folding?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:38 AM   #6489
molson
General Manager

So in a way, maybe Villanueva was protesting the team's decision to collectively avoid individual decisions to protest or not protest and to instead, as a team, do neither. So basically it's the equivalent of if one Steeler decided to come out and sit down or take a knee while everybody else was in the locker room/tunnel. Which, is kind of how this whole thing started, one guy going against the norm and doing his own thing as a form of protest. Once the norm is protesting, not protesting starts to look like a protest.

I hope next week somebody comes out and protests Villanueva's decision not to participate in the collective decision of the team not to participate in the protest debate.

Last edited by molson : 09-25-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:43 AM   #6490
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Over three million U.S. citizens have no power, water or communications. The kneel story may dominate the news, but it certainly shouldn't.

This..... 1000x this....
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:53 AM   #6491
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

*raises hand*

FWIW, I'm still pissed he helped wreck the USFL.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:05 PM   #6492
molson
General Manager

What are the odds that Trump tries to use an executive order to do something against the NFL? I'm not sure what.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:30 PM   #6493
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
This..... 1000x this....

I am guessing this is one of those "stand in line, we will get to your issue as soon as we can" things.

I am sure they will get around to it at some point.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:39 PM   #6494
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

Never forget the only reason Trump bought into the USFL was because the NFL would not let him own a team. In fact, I think the NFL refused to consider any merger talks with the USFL because of Trump and the thought of having to absorb him as an owner. Trump hates the NFL almost as much as he hates black people.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 09-25-2017 at 12:41 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:43 PM   #6495
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I am guessing this is one of those "stand in line, we will get to your issue as soon as we can" things.

I am sure they will get around to it at some point.

They said they would get a relief proposal to Congress in a week or two today.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:47 PM   #6496
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm hopeful the FEMA head will see the scope of the problem and things will kick into a higher gear over the next few days. He's been solid so far.

btw- More positions in the executive should have an experience requirement like FEMA head now has due to the Katrina disaster.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:48 PM   #6497
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
So it sounds like the steelers had a players only meeting and the reason they stayed in the tunnel was to accommodate Villanueva. The players wanted to be all on the same page and Villanueva said he didn't want to be singled out. The compromise was all players stay in the tunnel. Villanueva went against what was decided, to accommodate his wishes, and separated himself from the team to go out there.

If true, lowers my opinion of him but its hard to believe he wanted to grand stand like that after agreeing. Likely more to that story.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:38 PM   #6498
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Honestly I have no idea who Tommie Smith and John Carlos are.

If only there was a way to find out. Like a very simple way. Like a way that would've taken maybe 10 seconds to search and result in thousands of articles.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:50 PM   #6499
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
The one thing lost in this is that Dale Earnhardt, Jr., by far the most popular driver, has tweeted in favor of the kneelers (Junior tends to be Center Left on most social issues, I'd say - but a lot of folks don't realize it).

What is even more hilarious is the fact that NASCAR released a PR message shortly thereafter. I highly doubt they make the statement they did without Dale Jr. taking his position.

And yes, are we going to help out Puerto Rico anytime soon?
Old 09-25-2017, 01:54 PM   #6500
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
What are the odds that Trump tries to use an executive order to do something against the NFL? I'm not sure what.

Just remember Obama brought us NCAA Football Playoffs.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote