Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-06-2022, 08:32 PM   #601
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Don't worry. Next Thursday is Bears-Commanders.

Al Michaels left NBC for this? I thought they'd get some better games on Thursday.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:54 PM   #602
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

And then Saints-Cardinals which is meh.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:17 PM   #603
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Defund Thursday Night Football
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:18 PM   #604
tarcone
Coordinator

My goodness, if I ever needed a game to help me fall asleep, this is it.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:41 PM   #605
Ksyrup

Was Wilson a Seattle system QB? He looks like a HS freshman. That INT was inexcusable.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-06-2022, 09:47 PM   #606
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Matt Ryan's Life Matters
Old 10-06-2022, 09:57 PM   #607
Ksyrup

On a positive note, it's games like this that take me back to the original reason I joined Twitter - the comedy.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:59 PM   #608
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Was Wilson a Seattle system QB? He looks like a HS freshman. That INT was inexcusable.

Seattle had been open to the right deal to trade him for the past 3 years or so. They didn't think his skillset would age well and they thought the hits he took while playing there would accelerate his aging.

With that said, this Hackett/Getsy offense does not look good in Denver and Chicago without Aaron Rodgers.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 10:06 PM   #609
Ksyrup

Denver may suck but with this many injuries they'll be a completely new team next week!
Old 10-06-2022, 10:10 PM   #610
thesloppy
Pro Starter

This game is THEE worst.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:13 PM   #611
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:

No, he was great for most of his career. If he was just part of a system, then Carroll is 5x Belichick. He's in his 11th season and he has run the ball on 12.1% of his plays. He's just worn out. That happens to top quintile rushing quarterbacks - they have different career arcs. Seattle knew it and made the right move at the right time. But this was the wrong year to draft a replacement.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 10:15 PM   #612
Ksyrup

At least Denver didn't sign him to a big deal before he took a single snap for them... Oh wait.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:23 PM   #613
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Herbstreit sucks, that's certainly not helping me enjoy this torture. He and Al have zero chemistry. I also feel like Amazon mixes the crowd sound way too low, when they're already dead.

Now I'm just looking for complaints to pile on.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:33 PM   #614
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
At least Denver didn't sign him to a big deal before he took a single snap for them... Oh wait.

Yeah they are going to be paying him $249 million for what 6 years starting in 2024. Oof.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 10:34 PM   #615
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Somewhere out there on this planet, someone has been trying to convince someone else to watch an NFL game for years, and this was the game where they finally agreed.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:38 PM   #616
Ksyrup

This game belonged in London.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:46 PM   #617
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

It belongs on this pay service of Amazon's, though it seems like a lot of you have access.

Looks like Hackett picked the wrong week to put the game in Wilson's hands. Hindsight is a bitch.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:47 PM   #618
Ksyrup

It's over! And while my team lost, I did have Indy in a workplace salary cap game so I got a point.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-06-2022 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:48 PM   #619
molson
General Manager

If the Broncos cut Russell Wilson in 2027 the dead money hit is only $26 million, so that's something.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 10:51 PM   #620
thesloppy
Pro Starter

That should have absolutely ended in a tie & Denver earned that loss for thinking they could deserve anything better.
Old 10-07-2022, 06:47 AM   #621
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Wow, I did not expect to see the Colts win this one
Old 10-07-2022, 07:53 AM   #622
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
If the Broncos cut Russell Wilson in 2027 the dead money hit is only $26 million, so that's something.

*Marks calendar*
Old 10-07-2022, 08:04 AM   #623
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

We Must Talk About The Huge Bullet The Chicago Bears Dodged
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 08:36 AM   #624
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Mike Sando and Randy Mueller on The NFL GM Podcast from The Athletic (great podcast if you haven't discovered it yet) were a bit ahead of the possible Russell Wilson decline. Back when he was being shopped this offseason, they talked about how unlike a Brees or Brady who had skill sets that lent themselves to aging, Wilson relied on an athleticism that probably would not stay elite into his mid-30s. I recall one of them speculating that if he loses 10% of his elite athleticism, does that just make him Baker Mayfield?

Seems pretty prophetic 5 weeks into this season.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 09:27 AM   #625
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

I wonder if the Ravens are asking the same questions, as negotiations with Lamar Jackson proceed as quickly and with as much simplicity as Elon Musk's purchase of the Twitterverse.

There's never been a starter quite like Jackson, and anyone close to him in rushing numbers has peaked right around year 3-4, then it has been a steep decline. Jackson runs twice as often as Wilson.

What is the magic line between a quarterback who has the ability to extend plays without accumulating hits or suffering from simple loss of athleticism, and a quarterback who gains from experience and can play into his 30s without that loss of athleticism changing his game?

Do you happily take the first big contract, but not the second (as it might be with Wilson)? So you pay Jackson, but not into his 30s. Will the Bills get it right with Josh Allen, who is in the Wilson category, with a contract set up for them to make that decision heading into the 2025 season, when he'll be 29? Wilson will be 34 next month.

Hard to think of the Bears dodging anything when it comes to management. I think of Fields as a likely bust, though he is only 23. But how do you find a quarterback these days?
Old 10-07-2022, 09:44 AM   #626
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Hard to think of the Bears dodging anything when it comes to management. I think of Fields as a likely bust, though he is only 23. But how do you find a quarterback these days?

Yeah, they dodged one bullet to shoot themselves with a lower caliber bullet (Fields), looks like. Near term, unlike the Broncos, they're set up the future a lot better. But it's increasingly looking like it's Once Again back to square one for the Bears at QB.

I honestly think finding a QB in the NFL these days is nothing more than You Luck Into It. Some guys have success, some don't, and maybe your high round QB pick gives you slightly better odds on the roulette table, but it boils down to pure luck.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:46 AM   #627
Ksyrup

From my mostly uneducated seat, I can't tell if what appears to be Wilson's declining athleticism is him failing to adjust (or inability to adjust) to some sort of edict to be a pocket passer and only scramble to make plays at the end of the game when it matters, or if he's suddenly lost it and has the pocket awareness and accuracy of EJ Manuel when he's not his formerly elite self.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:07 AM   #628
Galaril
Pro Starter

I think Wilson is playing hurt. The Broncos issues the last 7 years are not only sub par QB play but horrible offensive line coaching , development and talent.
If the QB is running for his life the whole game nobody is going to too successful.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 11:17 AM   #629
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I think Wilson is playing hurt. The Broncos issues the last 7 years are not only sub par QB play but horrible offensive line coaching , development and talent.
If the QB is running for his life the whole game nobody is going to too successful.

Matt Ryan agrees.
Old 10-07-2022, 11:25 AM   #630
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
From my mostly uneducated seat, I can't tell if what appears to be Wilson's declining athleticism is him failing to adjust (or inability to adjust) to some sort of edict to be a pocket passer and only scramble to make plays at the end of the game when it matters, or if he's suddenly lost it and has the pocket awareness and accuracy of EJ Manuel when he's not his formerly elite self.

Hard to tell if it is coaching or QB. But the dead cap it would take to cut Russ means that the coach is the guy getting the boot at the end of the season if things don't improve.
Old 10-07-2022, 12:49 PM   #631
Ksyrup

To pile on to Denver's woes, LT (Bolles) broke his leg and CB (Darby) tore his ACL.
Old 10-07-2022, 04:12 PM   #632
Ksyrup

I'm at dinner and NFL Network is on and they are replaying last night's game. Must be an instant classic!
Old 10-07-2022, 11:49 PM   #633
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It's going to be amazing watching the Lions go to Boston this week and get beat by that dickwad Matty Patty (who they're still paying something like $3 million this year, because he hasn't officially been named the offensive coordinator) and a third-string, rookie QB.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 04:31 AM   #634
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
While moving forward, plz refer to the former Detroit HC as Fatt Matt.

Certainly not PC, but thats the nomenclature

Fuh Fuh fuh Fatt Matt and the Zep.........

*tries to carry the tune
Old 10-08-2022, 09:03 AM   #635
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Speaking of teams dodging a bullet...

Russell Wilson trade: Eagles made offer for Seahawks quarterback but he didn't want to go to Philly - Bleeding Green Nation
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 09:48 AM   #636
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Running a reverse to your TE on 2nd and goal from the 2 is one of those plays that feels so good when it works and gets people fired when it doesn’t.
Old 10-09-2022, 11:02 AM   #637
bhlloy
Coordinator

The Packers offensive plan has completely gone down the toilet, we're now down to "let Aaron run around and throw it as far as he can and hope one of our guys catches it". They look perfectly fine when setting up the pass with the run, but they got punched in the mouth and they've gone away from it.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 11:37 AM   #638
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Unreal what a good coach can do. Amazing adjustments at the half
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 12:21 PM   #639
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Lions DB getting loaded directly onto an ambulance on field. That does not look good.
Old 10-09-2022, 12:35 PM   #640
bhlloy
Coordinator

And pulling his dad out of the crowd to go with him. I mean maybe that’s a good sign, if he’s not being rushed, you’d assume he’s somewhat stable?
Old 10-09-2022, 12:36 PM   #641
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

It's week 5, and already two low-round quarterbacks from a weak draft, both third on the depth chart as the season began, have been pressed into service (both in the AFC East).

The league can easily support 32 teams, but I think the competent quarterback supply needs to double before we'll get ideal on-field results.

Cousins is 13-for-13 passing, Cook has two touchdowns, and the Vikings are looking like a decent bet to take control of the NFC North.

ETA: I've been watching the Bears/Vikings, and I'm astonished just how bad Fields looks. Some of his passes are so off line that the defense would have easy picks if they just stopped covering the intended receiver. They only have points because of a pass interference penalty on a pass that probably wasn't going to land anywhere near anyone anyway.

Last edited by Solecismic : 10-09-2022 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 12:51 PM   #642
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
ETA: I've been watching the Bears/Vikings, and I'm astonished just how bad Fields looks. Some of his passes are so off line that the defense would have easy picks if they just stopped covering the intended receiver. They only have points because of a pass interference penalty on a pass that probably wasn't going to land anywhere near anyone anyway.

They look even WORSE than they have in prior weeks. And I swear Fields didn't look this hideously inaccurate last year. He's massively regressed.
Old 10-09-2022, 01:03 PM   #643
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
The league can easily support 32 teams, but I think the competent quarterback supply needs to double before we'll get ideal on-field results.

It's interesting because like 3-4 years ago it looked like there was a whole batch of young quarterbacks (Winston! Goff! Wentz!) that were going to come in and create some kind of QB heyday, but then practically all those young dudes fell off immediately and we went back to the same ratio of questionable/mediocre starting NFL QBs that we've seemingly always had.
Old 10-09-2022, 01:06 PM   #644
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
They look even WORSE than they have in prior weeks. And I swear Fields didn't look this hideously inaccurate last year. He's massively regressed.

That last one. Pettis ran to a perfect hole in the zone, was so wide open he could have done a little dance out there, and Fields threw it over his head. Punt.

I'm not as convinced he's regressed that much - he was awful last season for much the same reason - but it's getting hard to justify having him out there on a team that still has playoff possibilities. But they don't have anyone exciting behind him - Siemien is a career backup and Peterman is just a stopgap third guy.
Old 10-09-2022, 01:08 PM   #645
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
That last one. Pettis ran to a perfect hole in the zone, was so wide open he could have done a little dance out there, and Fields threw it over his head. Punt.

I'm not as convinced he's regressed that much - he was awful last season for much the same reason - but it's getting hard to justify having him out there on a team that still has playoff possibilities. But they don't have anyone exciting behind him - Siemien is a career backup and Peterman is just a stopgap third guy.

I think they were deluding themselves with the whole playoff aspirations. Even ignoring the QB thing, this is Not A Good Team. This an empty cupboard team, with very little talent, but theoretically some promising younger guys.

Which is also why Fields plays all year, barring injury, no matter how awful he is. They want to know beyond a shadow of a doubt if they're resetting at QB again next season.
Old 10-09-2022, 01:36 PM   #646
bhlloy
Coordinator

The Dolphins losing Bridgewater to the new concussion protocols is either unfortunate or the universe getting a little payback, depending on your particular point of view.
Old 10-09-2022, 01:36 PM   #647
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Another Miami QB in concussion protocol. Bridgewater passed tests, but under the new protocol, the Independent doctor ruled him out due to after play symptoms
Old 10-09-2022, 01:36 PM   #648
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(fake edit: Fuck, beaten :P) I see Bhlloy and I both watch NFL Red Zone
Old 10-09-2022, 01:49 PM   #649
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Steelers might go 1-16
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 01:50 PM   #650
rjolley
College Starter

The Bears were never going to make the playoffs this year. The best I thought they'd do was 7-10. For them to be 2-2 with a legit chance to be 3-1 is surprising.

If Fields improves over the season and looks competent by the end, the rookie DBs look like solid pieces, and the other young players show improvement, then it's a successful season.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote