Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2014, 11:24 AM   #601
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Seems like we could have way more data than only 579 boxes. Doesn't whatever gets watched on DTV/Cable get tracked somehow.

Depends upon your receiver, IIRC. I believe only those using SDV delivery can do it currently, at least aside from the PPV type stuff (no clue what the percentage of cable households receiving via SDV is now)

It would be fairly meaningless for them since advertisers would never accept the data without it being certified by an independent 3rd party anyway, and I really don't see anyone trusting any of the cable providers that far.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #602
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
A couple of things worth nothing here on the whole 0.0 topic.

1) Part of this rests with the network. There are officially 2,289,360 TV Households in the Houston DMA. According to the articles there are only 500,000 households with access to Comcast SportsNet Houston. If the meters were apportioned on that basis, they really went 0/126 instead of 0/579.

CSN is a giant cluster and that explains most of it, above and beyond the Astros not being very good. The carriage fees were way too high so, shockingly, only Comcast was willing to pick them up. However, they can't drop the rates because the teams (especially the Astros, if rumors are correct) wouldn't budge on their payments. So, comically, CSN had to declare bankruptcy and everything's frozen so no one's receiving money and the carriage fees aren't able to be negotiated and barely a quarter of Houston is able to see the Astros, Rockets, or Dynamo.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #603
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Seems like we could have way more data than only 579 boxes. Doesn't whatever gets watched on DTV/Cable get tracked somehow.

As for more boxes, that = more cost ... which would then be passed on to the networks/ratings subscribers, who would then pass it along to advertisers, who would then pass it along to consumers.

fwiw, A recent comment from an ABC exec cited their own internal figure as a margin of error (for A18-49) of +- 0.2 ratings points on any given show. Some studies show that the long held +/- 10% standard that's been the unofficial benchmark is growing in recent years but the reality is that ratings exist almost entirely because they are the currency that allows networks & advertisers to communicate. The standard (and the margin of error) is agreed upon, effectively, between the two interested parties that have money changing hands based on the numbers.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:04 PM   #604
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I think that 500,000 number who had access to the game in the first place maybe says more about the lack of importance of the Astros than the 0.0 does.

And it's kind of crazy that we don't have this Bleacher Report article or this conversation, and instead have a very un-newsorthy 1.0 rating if 5 or 6 measured boxes tune in.

Isn't some of that just the nature of polling? I'm pretty sure we can assume that there was at least 1 person in Houston watching the Astros the other night. But you can't reliably measure everyone without doing some level of polling which is going to lead to some inaccuracies. I'm not sure what the number of people is for 500K but it probably isn't much more than 500 to get within 2 sigmas so that the number is 95% accurate (have fun calculating if you want).

(I'm not implying you were doing this, btw) It's funny that I think there's an anti-intellectual meme running around that polling isn't accurate because it's a small sample. While it's not perfectly accurate, it's pretty good and there are even mathematical formulas which will tell you how accurate. However, it also is based on a couple of assumptions. First, the sampling is random. If you grab 100 people who live in the same apartment complex in Houston, that's not really representative but that's probably not what Nielsen does (tho there will be some selection bias). And second, there's a chance that any particular poll could be a bad sample- that's why you're really 95% accurate not 100% accurate. But with Presidential polls, for instance, it's pretty easy to see the outliers versus the standards (then again, there's some funny business going on with their formulas that can also cause errors but that's neither here nor there). And that's why Nate Silver can look like a genius, because if you keep feeding his system more and more polls, the better it will be (unless, of course, the samples aren't random or the adjustments are unfair but then he starts adjusting for those, even).

That said, to call Awful Announcing "BR" is a bit unfair to AA as I think we can all agree that BR is roughly 99.7% garbage while I've read some AA stuff that's pretty good and certainly at a lot better than the average BR article ("100 WAYS TO GET YOU TO READ BR BECAUSE IT'S THE BEST EVER!").

SI

Old 04-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #605
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
However, it also is based on a couple of assumptions. First, the sampling is random. If you grab 100 people who live in the same apartment complex in Houston, that's not really representative but that's probably not what Nielsen does (tho there will be some selection bias).

The selection bias has actually gotten lower around the PPM (metered) era vs the diary era. The bigger issue with accuracy seems to lie with issues in getting certain demographics to participate in the system in any way.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #606
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The selection bias has actually gotten lower around the PPM (metered) era vs the diary era. The bigger issue with accuracy seems to lie with issues in getting certain demographics to participate in the system in any way.

Well, that's kindof the selection bias as opposed to the outright "lying about it" bias

Lower incomes, in particular, will be underrepresented.

SI

Old 04-11-2014, 12:38 PM   #607
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Isn't some of that just the nature of polling? I'm pretty sure we can assume that there was at least 1 person in Houston watching the Astros the other night. But you can't reliably measure everyone without doing some level of polling which is going to lead to some inaccuracies. I'm not sure what the number of people is for 500K but it probably isn't much more than 500 to get within 2 sigmas so that the number is 95% accurate (have fun calculating if you want).

(I'm not implying you were doing this, btw) It's funny that I think there's an anti-intellectual meme running around that polling isn't accurate because it's a small sample. While it's not perfectly accurate, it's pretty good and there are even mathematical formulas which will tell you how accurate. However, it also is based on a couple of assumptions. First, the sampling is random. If you grab 100 people who live in the same apartment complex in Houston, that's not really representative but that's probably not what Nielsen does (tho there will be some selection bias). And second, there's a chance that any particular poll could be a bad sample- that's why you're really 95% accurate not 100% accurate. But with Presidential polls, for instance, it's pretty easy to see the outliers versus the standards (then again, there's some funny business going on with their formulas that can also cause errors but that's neither here nor there). And that's why Nate Silver can look like a genius, because if you keep feeding his system more and more polls, the better it will be (unless, of course, the samples aren't random or the adjustments are unfair but then he starts adjusting for those, even).

That's true, and I know that Nielsen, or any poll taker, needs a lot fewer people than it would "seem" they need to be representative. As long as the sample is random. I get how that's true for Nielsen ratings generally. But when we're talking about a 0.0 rating being particularly newsworthy as opposed to a 0.2 or 0.4, then I'm not as sure. Because we are literally talking about 2 or 3 households. Rounded.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #608
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, that's kindof the selection bias as opposed to the outright "lying about it" bias

Lower incomes, in particular, will be underrepresented.

SI

But advertisers don't care so much about lower income populations, I would imagine, especially since advertisers are usually selling discretionary spending products. And since advertisers don't care, neither do the networks. So I can see why there would be little push to get lower income groups more represented in the Nielsens.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #609
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, that's kindof the selection bias as opposed to the outright "lying about it" bias Lower incomes, in particular, will be underrepresented.

But to call it "selection bias" really screws up the practical (if not technical) use of the phrase. I mean, they've gone insanely above & beyond trying to get some demos to participate, at some point if they won't then they won't. And honestly, few networks or advertisers really sweat it a whole lot deep down since some of those aren't highly attractive targets anyway.

Which kinda goes back to the point I mentioned before, that ratings exist in order to give networks & advertisers some basis to negotiate on. If not for that, it'd be something few people would bother to pay the costs for.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #610
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
That's true, and I know that Nielsen, or any poll taker, needs a lot fewer people than it would "seem" they need to be representative. As long as the sample is random. I get how that's true for Nielsen ratings generally. But when we're talking about a 0.0 rating being particularly newsworthy as opposed to a 0.2 or 0.4, then I'm not as sure. Because we are literally talking about 2 or 3 households. Rounded.

It's "newsworthy" -- I guess -- in the sense that not all that many live pro sports broadcasts dip that far. But it's really more of a "news of the weird" story than anything earth shaking.

The real story here is probably more like "why on earth would anyone in their right mind advertise on those games"
Old 04-11-2014, 08:30 PM   #611
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Yu had a perfecto through 5, but the first Astros batter of the 6th got a Texas Leaguer to drop in behind short.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 04-11-2014 at 08:30 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:29 PM   #612
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
The real story here is probably more like "why on earth would anyone in their right mind advertise on those games"

Because the broadcaster is paying them to fill the dead airtime?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:40 AM   #613
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Because the broadcaster is paying them to fill the dead airtime?

Nah, they'd just run promos.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:16 PM   #614
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

tuck rule lives in MLB!

you must transition the ball out of your glove... catching it is irrelevant. fucking moronic.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:16 PM   #615
cuervo72
Head Coach

This is a bit of an odd game going on in ATL.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #616
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
This is a bit of an odd game going on in ATL.

stupid braves

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 04-12-2014, 08:29 PM   #617
cuervo72
Head Coach

I'm still a Phillies fan, so I'm pretty impartial on this one.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #618
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
tuck rule lives in MLB!

you must transition the ball out of your glove... catching it is irrelevant. fucking moronic.

???
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:55 PM   #619
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
How in the world did Brandon League make the roster for LA? He is awful.

2 days ago. Still awful. GTFO!!!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:30 AM   #620
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

More random Giants statistics:

Matt Cain has pitched in 268 games in his career. In 71 of those games, Cain has gone 6 or more innings while allowing fewer than two runs and NOT gotten the win. The Giants have lost 50 of those 71 games.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:20 AM   #621
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
???

Nate McLouth caught the ball, then dropped it on the transition to throw, apparently the MLB rule is it is not officially a catch until you transition it out of your glove. which is idiotic

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 04-13-2014, 08:29 AM   #622
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nate McLouth caught the ball, then dropped it on the transition to throw, apparently the MLB rule is it is not officially a catch until you transition it out of your glove. which is idiotic

While they haven't used the phrase "point of emphasis", that's basically what it seems to be. That was one of several similar calls in the early going & they've been pretty clear it's intentional.

Baseball’s Newest and Dumbest Rule: Schrödinger’s Catch | Getting Blanked | Blogs | theScore.com
Old 04-13-2014, 08:31 AM   #623
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
???

Just what he said. If you catch the ball, but lose it transitioning out of your glove, there is no out. I've never seen it called like it was last night, but from the commentators that has always been the rule. They have just decided to emphasize it this year. It was a weird looking play.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:34 AM   #624
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

So it's not really the tuck rule so much as the player needing to make "a baseball move."

Last edited by rowech : 04-13-2014 at 08:35 AM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:18 AM   #625
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
So it's not really the tuck rule so much as the player needing to make "a baseball move."

its not even a baseball move... its getting it out of the glove. (assuming FP Santangelo is right, which is never a given.)

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 04-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #626
Atocep
Coordinator

Francoeur is pranked for a month into thinking a teammate is deaf.

On Jeff Ears - YouTube
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:32 PM   #627
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
(assuming FP Santangelo is right, which is never a given.)

Hehehehe.

The rest of the game was goofy too - LaRoche's no-catch (which was just where I tuned in), Harper getting picked off at 2nd, Zimmerman getting picked off at 2nd and breaking his thumb, Desmond *again* having a ball get stuck under the OF wall...
Old 04-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #628
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Just watched two baserunners get thrown out at home plate on the same ground ball in the Tampa Bay-Cincinnati game. I don't think I've ever seen that before.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #629
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Just watched two baserunners get thrown out at home plate on the same ground ball in the Tampa Bay-Cincinnati game. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

I think the Reds still think they are in AZ.

Like Steam?

Old 04-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #630
PilotMan
Head Coach

Holy crap that is funny. Team convinces Francouer that his teammate is deaf. Joke lasts a month.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 04-13-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:59 PM   #631
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Holy crap that is funny. Team convinces Francouer that his teammate is deaf. Joke lasts a month.

Advocacy group for the deaf releasing statement about how disrespectful this is to those who are actually deaf in 3...2...1
Old 04-13-2014, 06:05 PM   #632
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Rangers are suffering from an extreme power outage to start the season. They've only scored more than 5 runs twice in the first 12 games, and 3 or fewer in seven.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 04-13-2014 at 06:57 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:56 PM   #633
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Advocacy group for the deaf releasing statement about how disrespectful this is to those who are actually deaf in 3...2...1

As one who is partially hearing-impaired, I'm more impressed that the teammate was able to keep up the charade for a month than concerned about disrespect.

See, the thing about pretending deafness when you're not actually deaf is, it's fucking hard to do. It means pretending to be unaware of any sounds you might come across, and that includes things like, say, a distressed mother screaming "MY BABY!" if a dangerous situation occurs. Or having your reactions on lockdown such that a sudden slamming door doesn't give you a start. Or perhaps your son isn't in on the prank and he hollers at you to get your attention. Someone's going to realize that, y'know, your kid isn't going to yell at you if you're completely deaf. He's more likely to tap you to get your attention and then sign to you (although he may still vocalize while he does that, yes).

I mean, there's no way I can include the full range of things that might trip the teammate up on a prank like this. Either Francoeur is literally the dumbest box of rocks ever, or this teammate is an acting genius and is in the wrong line of work entirely.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:04 PM   #634
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
...Someone's going to realize that, y'know, your kid isn't going to yell at you if you're completely deaf...

...Either Francoeur is literally the dumbest box of rocks ever...

If you watch the video, there's a point at which Francouer and the supposedly deaf teammate are out to dinner with the team. Francouer asks the guy's wife how she communicates with him, and the response is something along the lines of 'a lot of text messages, mostly gestures.' The random teammate relating this story in the video makes the point that Jeff is completely oblivious to the fact that sign language does indeed exist and yet they apparently don't use it.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #635
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Either Francoeur is literally the dumbest box of rocks ever, or this teammate is an acting genius and is in the wrong line of work entirely.
I absolutely believe Francouer is oblivious to everything. Reminds me of the Kevin Mench story where it wasn't until he was in the major leagues for 2 years that a trainer pointed out he was wearing shoes 2 sizes too small.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:45 PM   #636
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

That reminds me of a time I was working on learning on something we were training and we were doing a train back (where you train part of the material you just learned). And something came up about people with learning difficulties and I mention something about deaf people and it was like I said a bad word. I guess in some areas of the US using the word deaf is related to being dumb.

I honestly was dumbfounded since that isn't how it's looked at here in California.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #637
rowech
Pro Starter

Pirates have gone back-to-back three different times tonight, twice with the same two players.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:21 PM   #638
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

And the Reds have four home runs to break the single game record for GABP at 10.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:23 PM   #639
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
And the Reds have four home runs to break the single game record for GABP at 10.

I have 5 fantasy homeruns in this game alone (for some reason decided to pick Gaby Sanchez up off the waiver wire, should have played daily fantasy baseball!). This will probably end with a rainout and I won't get any stats!
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #640
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I have 5 fantasy homeruns in this game alone (for some reason decided to pick Gaby Sanchez up off the waiver wire, should have played daily fantasy baseball!). This will probably end with a rainout and I won't get any stats!

They just went to delay at 7-7 at end of six. There have been 10 homeruns between the two teams. I believe the record is 12.

Last edited by rowech : 04-14-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:36 PM   #641
Suicane75
Coordinator

Wouldn't they just complete it at a later date?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:17 PM   #642
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Awesome. He must be in his own world a lot; like when they said the catcher would be out talking to him with his glover over his mouth and he never caught on.... and the "hand gestures" thing...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:38 AM   #645
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
This guy is making me wish Pappelclown was closing...

Phillies Fans' Reactions To Dan Uggla's Grand Slam Are Amazing

Was watching that live. The regular slo-mo shot that ESPN showed might have been more amazing.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:09 AM   #646
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Was watching that live. The regular slo-mo shot that ESPN showed might have been more amazing.

Beautiful and even funnier the second time watching it.

Like Steam?

Old 04-15-2014, 09:11 AM   #647
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Quote:
Beautiful and even funnier the second time watching it.

That was good stuff
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #648
MrBug708
Head Coach

Anyone read this article about Puig?

http://www.lamag.com/features/2014/0...dodgers/page/1
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #649
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

SI, you going to any of the Royals games this week?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:05 PM   #650
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:

This was glorious.