Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #601
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

just took a reaming with WVU, had them in the Sweet 16 in most pools and elite 8 in one
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #602
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
just took a reaming with WVU, had them in the Sweet 16 in most pools and elite 8 in one

Had them in the elite 8 in my biggest pool
Old 03-20-2009, 04:16 PM   #603
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
One of these days, the right coach is going to end up with the right micro-major conference basketball team, slip into Cinderella's chair as the #16 and topple one of these #1s. It's all about building a team that can get here and has the horses to do this...but man, that takes a lot of foresight, luck and well...luck.

I think it would take a perfect storm. Like a 16 seed who lost their best player for the year and got him back just in time for the conference tournament and a 1 seed who has a dominate Blake Griffen type player who loses their best player in the final of their conference tournament.

Even so, the 16 seed would have to play a perfect game.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:23 PM   #604
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Had them in the elite 8 in my biggest pool

Yep. I'm toast.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #605
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
But if you're that team then you seem likely to be a 15 instead of a 16 because of the really mediocre 16's that get in with the auto bids.

edit to add: Maybe a team that played poorly without an injured star for the first half of the season, got that player back & got in with a .500ish record by making a conference tourney run with their improved lineup?

Not if you're the champion of the Atlantic Sun or something. Though I get your point.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:28 PM   #606
timmynausea
College Starter

That's why I was scared of Dayton. Ruoff and Butler really let WVU down today. They pressed the entire final month or so of the season and made tons of mental mistakes, while the freshmen stepped up (just like today with Truck and Ebanks) to keep us in games.

WVU will be a better team next year, though, especially if Ebanks stays.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #607
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I think it would take a perfect storm. Like a 16 seed who lost their best player for the year and got him back just in time for the conference tournament and a 1 seed who has a dominate Blake Griffen type player who loses their best player in the final of their conference tournament.

Even so, the 16 seed would have to play a perfect game.

My idea is that they need horses and a deeper bench. These other teams lose because the #1 seeds struggle, but the #16 just hangs around. My #16 seed would be a team that had some conference loses due to coach tinkering with the system on purpose to figure out what his guys were made of.

Use the regular season as a sandbox, then use the last 10-12 games to perfect the system. If you figure that you recruit with that mindset, setup a pipeline or have a well to draw from and mix your squad up with the right mix of players -- young horses and JuCO vets who wanna win -- I think you could surprise some people.

But the perfect storm wouldn't even be on the court. It'd be having the right school to allow you to make it happen and the right team to recruit the right guys.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #608
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

WVU screws up a few brackets. I admit, I had them in the S16. But I want some chaos tonight. Cleveland State or Portland State- it's time to win some crazy games. And Utah-Arizona and USC-BC games that ends with a buzzer beater. That's what I want!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #609
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

The reach I have is Arizona who I have in the Sweet 16 other then that my Bracket has taken minor hits.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:40 PM   #610
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't think it'll happen in my lifetime. Especially with the pod system that has most of these guys playing home games. Pittsburgh was the best shot for a loss. Ohio State has to be licking their chops after seeing that game.

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-20-2009 at 04:41 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:47 PM   #611
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't think it'll happen in my lifetime. Especially with the pod system that has most of these guys playing home games. Pittsburgh was the best shot for a loss. Ohio State has to be licking their chops after seeing that game.

Oklahoma State?
Old 03-20-2009, 04:48 PM   #612
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Watch out for Portland St tonight. Xavier has laid some eggs this season
Old 03-20-2009, 04:59 PM   #613
Thomkal
Head Coach

went perfect on my afternoon slate of games, sweet
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #614
lungs
Pro Rookie

Wicked. I had Dayton beating WVU.

But I also had Clemson in the S16 :/
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:27 PM   #615
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

True. And soon, it won't be 1 v. 16 seeds, it'll be 1 v. 32 seeds.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:04 PM   #616
RainMaker
General Manager

5-2-1 so far in this tournament. Have the following this evening:

Louisville -21.5
Boston College +2

Tempted to pull the trigger on Portland State +10.5
Old 03-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #617
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Wicked. I had Dayton beating WVU.

But I also had Clemson in the S16 :/

I originally had Dayton and then switched to WVU and WVY winning up to 3 games in one bracket, booo.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:13 PM   #618
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

This is ridiculous. I live in California, and I'm getting Louisville/Morehead State instead of Arizona/Utah
Old 03-20-2009, 06:16 PM   #619
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
This is ridiculous. I live in California, and I'm getting Louisville/Morehead State instead of Arizona/Utah

that is pretty silly, we are getting the Arizona game here
Old 03-20-2009, 06:19 PM   #620
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
They probably gave you the national game till the USC one starts.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:20 PM   #621
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:

We get USC/BC
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:24 PM   #622
Butter
Coordinator

Chris Wright with 27 points for the Flyers. I was hoping the Flyers' athleticism would surprise WVU a little. More likely was just UD was beneficiaries of bad fouls by Ruoff. I was afraid all game that WVU would start hitting 3's, but UD's defense kept them off balance all game. Great win for UD, first tourney win in 19 years... just what this town needed. Something to get excited about!
Old 03-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #623
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
They probably gave you the national game till the USC one starts.

You were exactly right.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #624
miami_fan
Coordinator

They are letting them play in the USC-BC game. Hopefully they continue that way.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:46 PM   #625
Butter
Coordinator

Portland State is just bombs away against Xavier. 75% of their shots are 3's.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #626
Butter
Coordinator

Luke Nevill's 2 early fouls for Utah seals my fate in the Top Gun game. Utah is going down.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:57 PM   #627
miami_fan
Coordinator

Utah seems a little confused by Arizona's press. Very tentative.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 03-20-2009, 07:03 PM   #628
RainMaker
General Manager

How is Morehead State within 2 at the half?
Old 03-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #629
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

All four of these games on right now are pretty close games. I have Louisville going to the final four but I would love to see them lose to Morehead!

**I know its not going to happen, but a girl can dream!
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #630
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Because Louisville defense is sucking it up. Everytime I switch over to the game they are giving up a dunk or a perimeter shot
Old 03-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #631
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

And I have seen USC miss about 4 dunks because of BC's great defense. I dont like the University of Spoiled Children, GO Boston College!
Old 03-20-2009, 07:11 PM   #632
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarGirl View Post
Because Louisville defense is sucking it up. Everytime I switch over to the game they are giving up a dunk or a perimeter shot

Definitely. One Morehead basket was a guy dribbling slowly from the right side to down below the basket, then backing his man out from the baseline and laying it up and in. The kind of play that my first grader could stop. Louisville's help defense is non-existent.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #633
RainMaker
General Manager

Sometimes I don't get why teams like Louisville continue to press. They are way more talented than Morehead and I highly doubt that Morehead can keep up with them in a half court game. So why not pull back the press since Morehead is beating it consistently?
Old 03-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #634
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

I am finding it amusing (and sorry if i am sounding too much like GoldenEagle) amusing that when Memphis struggled with a low seeded team, everybody was shouting that they were exposed and didn't deserve a number 2 seed.

But when Pitt and now Louisville are strugglin with 16 seeds I am hearing the announcers say they are hanging tough and playing hard!

Last edited by LoneStarGirl : 03-20-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #635
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Anyone worried about a seed who "struggles" just misses the whole point of the tournament. The cliche "survive and advance" is right. It's one thing if you show some fundamental flaws in your game that are exploited, but odds are unless you had a recent injury- there's a "book" out on your team from the first 35 games of the season- and, to paraphrase DG, they are what we thought they were.

American couldn't miss until about 10 minutes left in the game and that's why they were leading Nova. Pitt and Memphis just kindof sleep walked through their games- anyone think that's their A game or that they aren't capable of being better?

To the highest seeds, all the first weekend is about is hoping some of your harder roadblocks get knocked out by an upstart team since they don't have the huge talent advantage you have over your opponents. Oh, and don't stumble in that second game, looking ahead to next week. You're better than the teams facing you but at least one of you (1/2 seed) loses in that second game and you don't want it to be you.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #636
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Sometimes I don't get why teams like Louisville continue to press. They are way more talented than Morehead and I highly doubt that Morehead can keep up with them in a half court game. So why not pull back the press since Morehead is beating it consistently?

I think Louisville gives away the advantage that they have if they don't press. The Cardinals are a better team when they are pressing. If the Cardinals cant execute the press correctly against Morehead State, they deserve to lose.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #637
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Looks like its a moot point now... Louisville is pulling away. I really want to watch the Arizona/Utah game but Little Rock has to watch USC vs BC
Old 03-20-2009, 07:58 PM   #638
RainMaker
General Manager

While I love college hoops and the tournament, this has to be one of the poorest played tournaments I've ever seen. Just a lot of bad teams in it. Not necessarily players, but teams. So many teams shooting under 40%, laying bricks left and right. Lack of ball movement in almost every case.

Teams like Louisville and Memphis have a lot of great athletes, and probably future NBA players, but they play nothing like a team. Just a lot of bad basketball by the supposed elite teams in the country.

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-20-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:04 PM   #639
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
While I love college hoops and the tournament, this has to be one of the poorest played tournaments I've ever seen. Just a lot of bad teams in it. Not necessarily players, but teams. So many teams shooting under 40%, laying bricks left and right. Lack of ball movement in almost every case.

+1

More reason that mid-majors with better RPIs and records, should've been allowed in. Would've made this a lot more interesting than it's been otherwise.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:13 PM   #640
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

fuck - BC's not gonna get it done. Our guys are just too small, particularly the guards. suckass
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #641
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Good God...I am sucking it up in my bracket tonight. Utah and BC just could not get it done
Old 03-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #642
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-20-2009 at 08:20 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:21 PM   #643
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Go PAC-10, baby! 5-1 so far.

Last edited by Karlifornia : 03-20-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #644
miami_fan
Coordinator

If you just look at the seed numbers, there are quite a few upsets.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #645
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
That's why I was scared of Dayton. Ruoff and Butler really let WVU down today. They pressed the entire final month or so of the season and made tons of mental mistakes, while the freshmen stepped up (just like today with Truck and Ebanks) to keep us in games.

WVU will be a better team next year, though, especially if Ebanks stays.

I cannot believe how poorly Ruoff and Butler played today. It is kind of depressing to see how much better the three freshmen have gotten over the course of the season, while Ruoff and Butler seem to have actually regressed -- making stupid fouls (Ruoff reaching in 35-feet from the basket w/ 3 fouls on him already and Butler pushing a guy, without contesting the shot in any manner, while he is dunking), terrible turnovers, and missing important free throws. I really believe that, if Ruoff makes those two free throws, we would have won the game.

I appreciate what Ruoff has done for the team and how far he has come, as a relatively unheralded recruit. Ditto Butler, although he was a little more highly regarded coming out of HS. But, those two guys should realistically be more of 3rd and 4th scoring options on a very good team. Hopefully, Butler can return to a less demanding role next season, as he is really more of a put-back and catch-and-jump shooter, rather than the all-around scorer that he was trying to be during the last half of the year. I hope (and think) Ebanks, Jones, Bryant, and hopefully the incoming Juco guard will develop to be more reliable offensive players next season.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #646
adubroff
High School JV

Is Mouse Davis playing for Cleveland St. tonight?
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:12 PM   #647
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
If you just look at the seed numbers, there are quite a few upsets.

So much parity in college hoops these days. Literally in the 5-12, 6-11, 7-10, and 8-9 games, hardly anything can be considered a major upset these days.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:19 PM   #648
RainMaker
General Manager

Bill Raftery is unbearable. Every other word is some dramatic catchphrase of his. I used to like him but he's trying way too hard.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:19 PM   #649
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Chris Wright with 27 points for the Flyers. I was hoping the Flyers' athleticism would surprise WVU a little. More likely was just UD was beneficiaries of bad fouls by Ruoff. I was afraid all game that WVU would start hitting 3's, but UD's defense kept them off balance all game. Great win for UD, first tourney win in 19 years... just what this town needed. Something to get excited about!

Dayton's defense was really tough -- I was definitely impressed. Ruoff was really shutdown and barely had any good looks from the outside. You guys also rebounded as well as any team we have played this season.

I said it before, but I really think Dayton got seeded poorly -- they should have been more like a 7 or 8 w/ their resume. Of all the 11s we could have played, Dayton was the worst possible matchup for us. We essentially have the same style of play, but you guys have a more veteran team and a much deeper bench. It would not surprise me to see Dayton knock off Kansas on Sunday.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:27 PM   #650
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

A couple of postscript notes from today's UT loss and why I said it seemed so familiar.
http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/...s/?partner=RSS

The Vols ranked last of the 65-team tournament field on 3-point shooting percentage – and yet 33 of their 56 attempts against Oklahoma State were behind the arc. They made 11.

Their inability to defend penetrating guards rose up to bite them one last time. Oklahoma State shot 56.6 percent from the field. Eaton, the Cowboys’ hero, was 70 percent (7-of-10).

Maybe this game was lost when the Vols were downgraded to a No. 9 seed on Selection Sunday. The 8-9 game is, by definition, supposed to be a nail-biter.

Nail-biters have been another of UT’s issues. Since Maze’s game-winner at Arkansas on Feb. 4, the Vols are 0-4 in games decided by three or fewer points.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-20-2009 at 09:27 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote