Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-05-2009, 08:14 AM   #601
tarcone
Coordinator

Im not a fan of religion. Not even close. I simply have stated that I found Jesus Christ. And Jesus Christs message is a missionary message. It is to spread the good word and pray others see the light.
Im sorry you guys think im "brainwashed". I am by no means going to shave my head and run to an airport and start handing out flowers. But I am going to pray and care and share my new found faith.
Im sorry that this "offends" so many people. But the message isnt "Enjoy what you have but make sure no one else finds it". It is to make Jesus known. .

I had the same attitudes as many of you. When I got my 1st job in a small baptist town, I was recruited heavily by the baptists. This turned me off. I went to a presbyterian church with my wife. Boring. I didnt listen, made fun of the hyminals. I preferred skipping church to watch my Sunday morning IFL game. That was much more fun.

But recently things changed. I dont use the word religion. I am a Christian. Not a catholic or a baptist or a lutheran. Or any of the others. I am a Christian.

Im sorry that my statements are not intelligent enough for some of you. I am still in the infancy of my new found faith. I am reading and learning.

I do know this though. Im happy. Im more positive. My relationship with my wife is so much better. And I am at peace with myself and my life as it is.

I hope and pray all of you find what is best for you. But I hope and pray it includes Jesus Christ.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:18 AM   #602
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Glad to hear that it's working out for you tarcone. That's the important thing.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:59 AM   #603
Icy
Pro Starter

To me that last post from you sounds way way more respectable that your prior ones where you looked more like an illuminated, that is what i was talking about, knowing your feelings and reasons instead of repeating other's words.

Again i'm sorry for offending you and i'm happy for you to have found something that makes you happy right now in this life, as it's the only life we know for sure that we are going to have, so we better enjoy it as much as we can as long as we don't harm others while doing it.

Last edited by Icy : 02-05-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #604
boberot
High School Varsity

Well stated, Tarc.

I'm curious to see who will pull out their microscope and find something in there to be offended by.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:36 AM   #605
KWhit
Coordinator

Dunno if this is the right place to post this or not.

(I'm guessing not).

http://www.p4cm.com/p4cm/store/launch

KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:36 AM   #606
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I was recruited heavily by the baptists.

I didn't know Bob Jones U had sports programs.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #607
JediKooter
Coordinator

Thanks for answering my questions Tarcone.

I wish you the best in your quest for peace. The main thing is that you are happy.

If you ever want to come back, the door will be open.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #608
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
You know, that Shallow Hal quote and this whole discussion brings me to a somewhat related philosophical question:

Is it better to believe in and be happy with an illusion or is it better to know the reality of a situation and be miserable?

such is the question posed in The Matrix. that is the entire point of the movie. would you rather be an important person in an illusion, or be stuck on a spaceship eating tasteless oatmeal in reality? Cypher (Joey Pants' character) chose the illusion.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #609
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
You know, that Shallow Hal quote and this whole discussion brings me to a somewhat related philosophical question:

Is it better to believe in and be happy with an illusion or is it better to know the reality of a situation and be miserable?

Hmm... that makes me want to expand the drama unit I'm doing to include Henrik Ibsen's The Wild Duck.

I think it's better to believe in. I know as a non-believer that I'd love to believe there was a happy place everyone goes to when they die. It would make life much easier and I would deal with people passing away much better.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #610
Anthony
Banned

this is what made me realize religion was all a farce:

the Bible comes from people who lived in a time where it was believed the world was flat, the sun revolved around the earth, and that the heart was the center of thinking and consciousness. we've since learned all that is not true.

but now you want me to believe that the biggest question - where do we come from/were we created by a supreme being - was the one they got right all along.

ok.

by that token someone who believes in the Bible would also believe a book about how to manage your career in a down market by Pee-po - a villager from a remote, cut-off-from-the-world Amazon jungle. granted, Pee-po wouldn't know how the little people got inside a tv if you showed him one, but nevermind - he speaks the truth when it comes to career management he's right. you just have to believe.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:34 PM   #611
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think it's better to believe in. I know as a non-believer that I'd love to believe there was a happy place everyone goes to when they die. It would make life much easier and I would deal with people passing away much better.

See, I tend to disagree. The heaven part, sure, it'd be nice if we went off to some wonderful place and could see all our loved ones when we died. But it's the idea of god/s that I wouldn't be happy with at all, given what goes on on this planet that they were supposed to have created.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #612
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
See, I tend to disagree. The heaven part, sure, it'd be nice if we went off to some wonderful place and could see all our loved ones when we died. But it's the idea of god/s that I wouldn't be happy with at all, given what goes on on this planet that they were supposed to have created.

I have issues with death. I hate the idea that when you die, that's it, just nothingness. I'd give anything to get rid of that reality, even if it means having to live with a God who has a twisted way of doing things.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #613
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I have issues with death. I hate the idea that when you die, that's it, just nothingness. I'd give anything to get rid of that reality, even if it means having to live with a God who has a twisted way of doing things.

I used to be the same way, from about ages 15 through my early 20's. I had a real phobia about it, and sometimes I'd have nightmares about it too. Then it just stopped. Now, for whatever reason, I'm comfortable with the idea. Of course, would still prefer life to nothingness.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:29 PM   #614
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
I think my epiphany wasnt a one moment experience. I went to church. Hated it. So boring and getting preached at, It was no fun.
I started discussing religious topics with my father-in-law. I was agnostic. I thought there was a higher power, felt that spirits lived all around us, etc.. But something changed and my father-in-law helped me see the light. It was and is amazing. My wife prayed for me for years, she was led to a Lutheran church. It is very down to Earth. The pastor is awesome. I was saved.

I can't understand this. It's sort of like how nobody is ever surprised there really isn't a Santa Claus. The doubt just grows on you until you don't believe...except for you this was in reverse.

Good for you and I'm glad that you're happy.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #615
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post

(I'm guessing not).

The Launch of the Sale of the Ex-Series T-shirts | Passion for Christ Movement - P4CM.com
Wow, I wish some of my ex's were that gracious.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:28 PM   #616
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Im not a fan of religion. Not even close. I simply have stated that I found Jesus Christ. And Jesus Christs message is a missionary message. It is to spread the good word and pray others see the light.
Im sorry you guys think im "brainwashed". I am by no means going to shave my head and run to an airport and start handing out flowers. But I am going to pray and care and share my new found faith.
Im sorry that this "offends" so many people. But the message isnt "Enjoy what you have but make sure no one else finds it". It is to make Jesus known. .

I had the same attitudes as many of you. When I got my 1st job in a small baptist town, I was recruited heavily by the baptists. This turned me off. I went to a presbyterian church with my wife. Boring. I didnt listen, made fun of the hyminals. I preferred skipping church to watch my Sunday morning IFL game. That was much more fun.

But recently things changed. I dont use the word religion. I am a Christian. Not a catholic or a baptist or a lutheran. Or any of the others. I am a Christian.

Im sorry that my statements are not intelligent enough for some of you. I am still in the infancy of my new found faith. I am reading and learning.

I do know this though. Im happy. Im more positive. My relationship with my wife is so much better. And I am at peace with myself and my life as it is.

I hope and pray all of you find what is best for you. But I hope and pray it includes Jesus Christ.

Well said.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #617
Schmidty
Coordinator

revrew is still my favorite FOFcer. No offense to others that I care about.

3rd and only comment for me. Commence fuster cluck of "discussion"
Old 02-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #618
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Q: What is christianity?

A: It is the belief that a two-thousand-year-old jewish zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat an apple off a magical tree in a wonderland.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #619
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

(I'm guessing not).

It it only me who's first thought was that they were willing to pleasure ex-partners even after the breakup? .... ok so I've got a warped sense of humour.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #620
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Don't stress over it - even where people might act offended, it normally won't be you they're upset with - more the elitest message which christianity gives across.

Anything which states "X is great, if you don't like me you suck" is going to upset people who aren't fans of 'X'. This happens in similar threads but to a lesser extent over such oddities as computer games, sports teams and suchlike.

I realise you probably don't see it that way -but its the message recieved by others which causes their reaction not what you think you're broadcasting.

Quote:
Thats cool - I for one am glad you've found something which makes you happy and positive about life ... that has to be a good thing imho.

I'd recommend Josh McDowell's - "The New Evidence that demands a verdict" if you haven't read it, its a 'safe' book for Christians (ie. its pro-christian, so don't worry about me suckering you into anything which might shake your new found faith).

I don't agree with all of his arguements its got some interesting facts and will at the very least make you think (it covers loads of the 'awkward' questions such as how the bible was drawn up and why etc.).
Old 02-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #621
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
revrew is still my favorite FOFcer. No offense to others that I care about.

3rd and only comment for me. Commence fuster cluck of "discussion"

Thanks!

And a quick note about noop's definition of Christianity: clever. Inaccurate, probably blasphemous...but clever. I smiled.

I'll give you another definition: An invitation to join a love affair greater than any found on earth.

Y'know, people outside of a crazy love affair often joke, "Look at him! He spends all his money on her now and doesn't have time for his buddies." Or, "O my gosh, sane people really talk with all that lovey-dovey crap? Sweetie? You said 'sweetie'? You're a 250-pound grown man with a beard. And you said 'sweetie?'" Or, "Love is a fool's game," or "Love is blind." It is easy to mock, ripe for justified criticism, easy to make fun of. But 9 out of 10 people, I speculate wildly, would rather be crazy in love than alone. Christianity is crazy. The things "Christians" do and say are easy to make fun of, faltering "fool's" attempts at explaining something too big and amazing to put in words - tarcone's testimony included. But both tarcone and I are simply saying - such a love really exists, and you're invited.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #622
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Love? Bah...HUMBUG! I reject "love". It's a fools game.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #623
bignej
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
Thanks!

And a quick note about noop's definition of Christianity: clever. Inaccurate, probably blasphemous...but clever. I smiled.

I'll give you another definition: An invitation to join a love affair greater than any found on earth.

Y'know, people outside of a crazy love affair often joke, "Look at him! He spends all his money on her now and doesn't have time for his buddies." Or, "O my gosh, sane people really talk with all that lovey-dovey crap? Sweetie? You said 'sweetie'? You're a 250-pound grown man with a beard. And you said 'sweetie?'" Or, "Love is a fool's game," or "Love is blind." It is easy to mock, ripe for justified criticism, easy to make fun of. But 9 out of 10 people, I speculate wildly, would rather be crazy in love than alone. Christianity is crazy. The things "Christians" do and say are easy to make fun of, faltering "fool's" attempts at explaining something too big and amazing to put in words - tarcone's testimony included. But both tarcone and I are simply saying - such a love really exists, and you're invited.

Just because its crazy doesn't make it true
Old 02-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #624
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
It it only me who's first thought was that they were willing to pleasure ex-partners even after the breakup? .... ok so I've got a warped sense of humour.

This deserves recognition - nice spot!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #625
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

(I'm guessing not).

Those shirts are some of the stupidest things I've ever seen in my life. My god...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #626
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

Not only do I get this cool shirt--I'm more likely to get prostate cancer!

Last edited by Kodos : 02-06-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #627
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I want one without the "Ex"
Old 02-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #628
Kodos
Resident Alien

Replace "Ex" with "Chronic".
Old 02-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #629
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I want one without the "Ex"

Seek and Ye Shall Find

Last edited by sabotai : 02-06-2009 at 03:58 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #630
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post

oh the interwebs. they are fabulous. thank you al gore!
Old 02-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #631
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
Thanks!

Well said, part deux
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:34 AM   #632
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

My parents first started taking me to church when I was just getting into football. Hmmm, football or church on Sunday, which is going to win out?

Then my studies in anthropology killed whatever inclination I may have had toward religion. Seeing numerous religions from around the world and then comparing them to mainstream American religious beliefs, two basic tenets consistently appear. A need for explanation of the world around us and a desire for life after death.

Maybe the need for these understandings was implanted by a higher power or maybe our brains as a species just evolved to the point where we want answers to everything.

Whether you get through the day through a belief in God or through other means, getting through is the point.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #633
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

All of life is an illusion to some extent or another - by that I mean we are restricted in our knowledge of the world by our senses and so only see things innacurately.

(for instance we know many animals who can hear and see things differently than we do - often more accurately, but that doesn't prevent us from relying on our knowingly limited senses)

As such it could be that we're already living a lie to some extent and just don't know it, the important thing is how it feels to us now in the scope of the senses and beliefs that we have imho.

So in summary - if someone is happy in their beliefs and they don't affect others adversely then thats cool .... however imho its impossible to force yourself to truly believe in something*, you either or don't.

*For instance my wife goes to a church here which I can't get along with - I've tried to gel with it, but its far too fundamental in its message for me to be able to accept - luckily my wife appreciates that I've tried and been honest with her about my stance (not that it stops her occassionally trying to persuade me to tag along ).