Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #601
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post

9.1 Paul Laus, Flo, Enforcer

I actually found a legitimate enforcer. I'm happy with that. 14 goals, 1702 pm's, in 500+ games

I actuall had Laus' named typed into my reply before switching to Boogaard. I figured not too many folks would remember him. I loved Paul Laus.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #602
vtbub
College Starter

9.2 Ted Kennedy (Leader)- TOR

A 9 year captain of an original six team.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:20 PM   #603
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Yeah, nothing worse than having a complete writeoff of a season and not even having a lottery pick to show for it.

Cough.

Oh trust me, i know our GM is almost as incompetant as yours (was). Only thing worse would be in Steve Staois is given a 5 year 25 million dollar contract, with no trade.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #604
Logan
Head Coach

Good to see my Spezza (Leader) pick getting the bashing it surely deserves. I admit I didn't have a clue...all I know about the Ottawa locker room is that Alfredsson has been based and is said to not deserve to wear the C, so I took a shot that the young phenom would be the one emerging as a leader. Missed.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #605
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

9.3 Turk Broda (Tor) - Goalie

5 Stanley Cups, 3 Vezinas, Career Post Season GAA 1.98, Hall of Famer. And from Manitoba to boot.

"Regarded as perhaps the best clutch goaltender of all time, Walter "Turk" Broda was "Mr. Maple Leaf" for 16 seasons, with two years lost to Canadian armed forces duty in World War II."
-- http://mapleleafslegends.blogspot.co...urk-broda.html
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:09 PM   #606
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Funny draft. You had the mostly expected stars going at the beginning. Then in the middle, a bunch of "WTF?" picks. Now at the end, I suspect we're about to get back into the HOF types.

As a side note, I focused on one or two-team players early on. Even factoring in my last-round pick, who I was going to take in the fourth but realized was already blocked off everyone else's board, I still have almost half the league available to me. And I still can't think of a decent "big hitter".
Old 03-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #607
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I spent over 2 hours searching for a 'lockdown defenseman' yesterday. I went through the entire history of players for every team I still hadn't picked from, and managed to write down 6 names. One was Redden, who is gone now. The other 5 are absolute stinkers. Such a crappy way to finish up...
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 03-15-2008, 07:39 PM   #608
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
One was Redden, who is gone now. The other 5 are absolute stinkers. Such a crappy way to finish up...
If it makes you feel any better, Redden would have been awful in that spot. He must be the only $6M defenceman who doesn't kill penalties.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:44 PM   #609
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I spent over 2 hours searching for a 'lockdown defenseman' yesterday. I went through the entire history of players for every team I still hadn't picked from, and managed to write down 6 names. One was Redden, who is gone now. The other 5 are absolute stinkers. Such a crappy way to finish up...

I was thinking about this yesterday. While I have enjoyed the draft I don't think my knowledge has helped me. It's been more research.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:29 PM   #610
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

9.4 - Georges Laraque - Enforcer - Edm,Pho,Pit
Old 03-16-2008, 09:43 AM   #611
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
If it makes you feel any better, Redden would have been awful in that spot. He must be the only $6M defenceman who doesn't kill penalties.

Oh I know from a logical standpoint he wasn't a good fit, but from a fan voting perspective he has some name recognition. He was going to be my Dany Heatley - Power Forward.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:57 AM   #612
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I was thinking about this yesterday. While I have enjoyed the draft I don't think my knowledge has helped me. It's been more research.

The research has been half the fun though! I've learned about a bunch of players that at most I only recognized their name before, I was reminded of a lot of things (and players) I'd forgotten about, and I've also learned new things about players I thought I was quite familiar with (like how Bobby Hull's career ended).

I just wished I'd started from the beginning because I didn't do any research into Chicago or Detroit (since they weren't available to me by the time I took over this team), and those teams would have been fun to search through as well.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:47 AM   #613
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Was going to save him for round ten but need to buy more time to look for a hitter.

The Hockey News' 16th best player of all time:

9.5 - Glenn Hall, goalie (DET, CHI, STL)
Old 03-16-2008, 10:48 AM   #614
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Don't sweat it. I will end up with the worst leader/captain in the history of hockey.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #615
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Was going to save him for round ten but need to buy more time to look for a hitter.

The Hockey News' 16th best player of all time:

9.5 - Glenn Hall, goalie (DET, CHI, STL)

You still had two Original Six teams left and STL? Sheesh, well done.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-16-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:30 PM   #616
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I think I am up...I just got back from watching the Pens wipe up the ice with the Flyers, 7-1 I could of sworn I saw this between periods-

Anyway, I'll probably get a little crap for this pick as it's not the exact style of play associated, but

9.6 Brian Sutter - STL - powerforward

300+ career goals and 1700+ PIM in 12 seasons, including 3 consecutive seasons of 35+ goals and 200+ PIM.

At the very least, he's a better pick than Heatley!
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:54 PM   #617
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I was strongly considering Sutter as a hitter if I had been able to find another goalie.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:07 PM   #618
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Not much choice left in the way of goalie for me with the teams left. I haven't even started looking for a head coach. Ouch.

Okay here goes...

9.7 Marty Turco (Goalkeeper)

Very solid by today's standards. By history's standards, I am sure he will weigh up much less significantly. It was him or Kiprusoff.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:05 PM   #619
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

9.8 Viacheslav (Slava) Fetisov, Offensive Defenseman (Detroit, New Jersey)

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:13 PM   #620
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Old 03-16-2008, 07:30 PM   #621
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

9.9 Kyle McLaren- Shut Down Defense- Boston, SJ
Old 03-16-2008, 08:11 PM   #622
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Sorry I havent been around to do lists this weekend...my aunt went into the hospital and needs bypass surgery and I cut my left index finger (fist knuckle) down to the bone and almost ended up in the ER myself.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:15 PM   #623
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
Sorry I havent been around to do lists this weekend...my aunt went into the hospital and needs bypass surgery and I cut my left index finger (fist knuckle) down to the bone and almost ended up in the ER myself.

Sorry to hear about the first part, and I hope she's okay.

I'm sorry to hear about the second part, too, but my second thought is way to go, dumbass.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:44 PM   #624
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

sorry to hear
Old 03-16-2008, 09:34 PM   #625
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Sorry to hear about your aunt.

I'll wait until tomorrow to make fun of your injury.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:57 PM   #626
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'm also sorry to hear about your bad weekend.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:26 AM   #627
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Hope everything turns out well.

But seriously, don't take those Flyers losses so hard.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:59 AM   #628
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Okay here goes...

9.7 Marty Turco (Goalkeeper)

Let's hope none of these games are played (a) in a playoff format or (b) at Joe Louis Arena.

I will be picking shortly...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-17-2008, 08:18 AM   #629
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

9.10 Frank Boucher - (Head Coach) (NYR)

With very few, if any, quality Stanley Cup coaches still available, we're heading into the way back machine for the coach who led the New York Rangers to the 1940 Stanley Cup.

As a player, Boucher helped ledd the Rangers to their first Stanley Cup in the team's second year of existence in the spring of 1928. Boucher dominated the post-season scoring with seven goals and 10 points, including both of New York's goals in the Cup-clinching 2-1 triumph over the Montreal Maroons in the final game of the best-of-five series. Five seasons later he contributed four points to the Blueshirts' second Cup victory at the expense of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Coaching became Boucher's passion as soon as he retired as a player. He guided the New York Rovers to the championship of the Eastern Hockey League in 1938-39 before rejoining the Rangers the following year. Boucher made a triumphant return to the Blueshirts by coaching them to victory over the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 1940 Stanley Cup finals. That same regular season he pulled goaltender Dave Kerr with two minutes left in the game in an attempt to tie the score, initiating a trend that would become exceedingly popular in the coming years.

Frank Boucher was one of the finest all-round players of his time, his gentlemanly conduct on the ice served as a benchmark for many who followed him. On February 9, 1962, Boucher was presented the Sportsmanship Brotherhood's annual award in New York. He was honored posthumously with the Lester Patrick Trophy in 1993 for his immense contribution to the game in the United States. A member of the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame and the Ottawa Sports Hall of Fame, Boucher was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1958.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 03-17-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:35 AM   #630
Logan
Head Coach

9.11 - Randy Carlyle (Coach) - Anaheim

Two seasons, 1 Stanley Cup win, 1 Conference Championship appearance. Extrapolate that over a 20 year career and he's a sure-fire Hall of Famer.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:54 AM   #631
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
9.11 - Randy Carlyle (Coach) - Anaheim

Two seasons, 1 Stanley Cup win, 1 Conference Championship appearance. Extrapolate that over a 20 year career and he's a sure-fire Hall of Famer.

Uh, is this pick legal? Carlyle played for Toronto, Pittsburg, and Winnipeg.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #632
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
If I understand the rules correctly, it's legal. If you pick a coach, you just can't pick anyone else from teams he coached for. For instance, if someone had picked Wayne Gretzky as a coach, they couldn't take Phoenix players, but they could take players from Edmonton, LA, etc.

Am I understanding this correctly?
Old 03-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #633
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Yes because he is a coach on the roster. We didn't count Phoenix for Gretzky.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:00 AM   #634
Logan
Head Coach

Could've sworn we established that a coach's playing career had no bearing on his coaching career.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:02 AM   #635
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Could've sworn we established that a coach's playing career had no bearing on his coaching career.

You are correct Logan.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:07 AM   #636
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Huh.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:13 AM   #637
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Good...so my sleeper pick for my coach is still alive.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:13 AM   #638
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

9.12 - Ken Hitchcock (Coach) - Dallas, Philadelphia, Columbus

I thought I could get through the entire draft without picking someone from the damn Flyers, but I just couldn't do it. In each of his first five full seasons as an NHL head coach, he led the Stars to the division title. During that time, he also got to the Stanley Cup Finals in back-to-back years, winning once. He moved on to Philadelphia and led the Flyers to three consecutive 100-point seasons. From there, he went to Columbus. Now in his first full season with the team, he has led the Blue Jackets to their highest season point total in franchise history, and they still have 10 games remaining this year.

10.1 - Jaromir Jagr (Sniper) - Pittsburgh, Washington, New York Rangers

This guy has scored a lot of goals and will probably score a lot more goals and he's a pretty good player or something. Maybe he's not prototypical sniper material, but he plays good hockey, I'm told, or maybe something like that.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:19 AM   #639
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

That is pretty ridiculous that Jagr lasted until the 10th round.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:20 AM   #640
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
That is pretty ridiculous that Jagr lasted until the 10th round.

Pumpy could've drafted him earlier but he knew he was the only one that still had a spot for him so he kept him till the last round.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:31 AM   #641
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Pumpy could've drafted him earlier but he knew he was the only one that still had a spot for him so he kept him till the last round.

Exactly. He was taunting us and torturing poor Jagr. Typical Pumpy.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:41 AM   #642
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Exactly. He was taunting us and torturing poor Jagr. Typical Pumpy.
Yep, Jagr's pissed. He probably took a swing at somebody, missed, and is out indefinitely with a separated shoulder.

Or does that only happen to him in playoff games against the Devils?
Old 03-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #643
Logan
Head Coach

Give me a few minutes to figure out a big hitter...
Old 03-17-2008, 10:00 AM   #644
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Yep, Jagr's pissed. He probably took a swing at somebody, missed, and is out indefinitely with a separated shoulder.

Or does that only happen to him in playoff games against the Devils?

He was dying alive during this draft.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #645
Logan
Head Coach

10.2 - Garnet Exelby (Big Hitter) - Atlanta

I wouldn't want him anywhere near me.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:09 AM   #646
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
10.2 - Garnet Exelby (Big Hitter) - Atlanta

I wouldn't want him anywhere near me.
I've already picked him, I'm afraid.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:11 AM   #647
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I sent Logan a PM telling him that...
Old 03-17-2008, 10:12 AM   #648
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I sent Logan a PM telling him that...
Well, doggone it, so did I.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:12 AM   #649
Logan
Head Coach

God damn, I spent way too much time looking for that mothereffer...sorry guys...
Old 03-17-2008, 10:19 AM   #650
Logan
Head Coach

10.2 - Matt Greene (Big Hitter) - Edmonton

F Pumpy.