Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-03-2008, 10:01 PM   #601
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
My god, have you and others completely lost your memories?? Just go back to last season when he had 0 receivers and still led the team to a great record. Or look at all of the times where he has been able to stand in a collapsing pocket and still spot the open receiver. Very, very few pcoket QBs have ever been that consistent and accurate.

Yes. That's why he's great.

What was your point?

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:02 PM   #602
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
That was one kickass Superbowl. I had held onto the Bronco's win over the Packers as the best Superbowl I had ever seen, but I am pretty sure that just replaced it.

Congrats Giants fans.

SirFozzie, stop making those sig bets.

Ayup. That's my last sig bet. As you can see from my current sig, it's no good
Old 02-03-2008, 10:02 PM   #603
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I have to say, there's a part of me that's kind of happy that the Pats lost simply because I really enjoyed their run at a perfect season and like the idea that it will be even meaningful the next time it happens.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #604
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace1914 View Post
OMFG. If the Giants win...remember that play. Forever.

will do.

years from now i''ll be able to tell my first born that they were born in the year that Eli Manning made The Play and won Super Bowl 42 for the New York Giants.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #605
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
5.5 yards per attempt is bad.

That is true but most other QBs in the NFL would go 13-43 in similar situations, not to mention a couple of picks.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #606
flounder
High School Varsity

If Asante Samuels makes that interception at the end, everyone is talking about how Brady cemented his reputation as the greatest QB of all time. It bounces off his hands and now Brady's mediocre?
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #607
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Also check out the "tags customers associate with this product".

I fail to see what buttsecks has to do with this book

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #608
Jas_lov
College Starter

http://www.amazon.com/19-0-Historic-...2097764&sr=8-1

I hope nobody pre-ordered the paperback copy of 19-0: The Historic Championship Season of New England's Unbeatable Patriots.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:06 PM   #609
Galaril
Pro Starter

With all the NFL QBS banging hot girls I was curious who ELI was sharing the sheets with. I am surprised to seeas the link shows he i doing pretty well for himself. Oh and no it isn't the short one in the brown pants suit I am guessing

http://64.111.216.59//ul/2423-eli%20abby.jpg

Last edited by Galaril : 02-03-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:06 PM   #610
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I know most of us tend to be focused on most recent events, but as I'm thinking back right now, I'd have to say that Eli's pass to Tyree on that final drive is going to be one of the top 10 SB signature plays.

i would say top 5. that play is the reason why the Giants won the Super Bowl. there is no other reason. i was shouting from my seat "he's a WARRIOR!!!"
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:07 PM   #611
dime
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
If Asante Samuels makes that interception at the end, everyone is talking about how Brady cemented his reputation as the greatest QB of all time. It bounces off his hands and now Brady's mediocre?

this is exactly why QB play is so terribly evaluated. for example, terry bradshaw is not one of the best QBs of all time, neither is brady. marino is not "missing" something because he didn't win one. marino was much, much better than brady.

the giants' gameplan was basically to take away moss deep, take away the run and make brady beat them. he could only put up two scoring drives. not terrible, but a play here or there would have gotten the pats the win and wouldn't have made him any better of a player than he is now.
dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:07 PM   #612
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:

No, not everyone. Some people are able to look past more than just the QB on great teams.

Troy Aikman won 3 Super Bowls and after his first two Super Bowl victories had the highest postseason QB rating in history. He's not even close to an all-time great quarterback.

Brady is far better than Aikman. But winning 4 Super Bowls isn't enough to be the greatest QB ever. And Brady wasn't before tonight and wouldn't have been even if Samuel had caught that ball.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #613
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
5.5 yards per attempt is bad.

He missed at least 3 wide open receivers as well, which is very un-Brady like. Give him credit for hitting Moss when the corner fell down I guess for the go-ahead TD, but the play before Moss was wide open and it was a terrible, terrible pass that missed him by a couple of yards.

I don't think that Brady is any less of a great QB. Even the great ones can't make that many plays when 2 out of every 3 plays they are on their back. Anyone who thinks he is only good because he has been surrounded by great players is smoking crack. But definitely not Brady's best game (and he was pretty bad against the Chargers as well)

The vaunted Pats line take the blame for this one, they absolutely laid a huge fucking goose egg in the most important game of their careers. Giants pass rush is good, but one on one the Pats linemen were just getting bitchslapped. I lost count of the number of times the Giants DT's pushed the Pats interior line into the backfield, and on the outside Kaczur couldn't have done a worse job if he'd have just laid down on every play. Pretty embarrassing for a unit that is supposed to be one of the best in the league.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:09 PM   #614
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I'd put the '07 Giants ahead of that fraud Dolphins team that beat exactly ONE team with a winning record all season.

This is an example of how the Pats fans have jumped the shark. From now on, when you guys wonder why people treat your team unfairly or hate on Pats fans, just remember posts like this.

The fact is, The 72 Dolphins didn't make their schedule. They had no hand in that. All they did was win every game they played, including the regular season, including the postseason, and the Superbowl. No other team in NFL history has ever done that, including your New England Patriots.

You can whine like a pathetic baby about it as much as you want, but that's a fact. It's in the books and it will be there no matter how much you try to diminish it because you can't stand that your beloved team actually lost.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:10 PM   #615
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
He missed at least 3 wide open receivers as well, which is very un-Brady like. Give him credit for hitting Moss when the corner fell down I guess for the go-ahead TD, but the play before Moss was wide open and it was a terrible, terrible pass that missed him by a couple of yards.

I don't think that Brady is any less of a great QB. Even the great ones can't make that many plays when 2 out of every 3 plays they are on their back. Anyone who thinks he is only good because he has been surrounded by great players is smoking crack. But definitely not Brady's best game (and he was pretty bad against the Chargers as well)

The vaunted Pats line take the blame for this one, they absolutely laid a huge fucking goose egg in the most important game of their careers. Giants pass rush is good, but one on one the Pats linemen were just getting bitchslapped. I lost count of the number of times the Giants DT's pushed the Pats interior line into the backfield, and on the outside Kaczur couldn't have done a worse job if he'd have just laid down on every play. Pretty embarrassing for a unit that is supposed to be one of the best in the league.

+1
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:11 PM   #616
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Samuels not only cost the Pats the game, he probably cost himself millions of dollars in the off-season.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:12 PM   #617
st.cronin
General Manager

Brady did not have a good game, but come on, he was obviously playing with an injury. He wasn't nearly as mobile as he usually is, and his mechanics were obviously affected on some plays. He's still an all-time great QB.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:12 PM   #618
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:

I'm in 100% agreement with you. Tonight does nothing to change my opinion of Brady. He is a great quarterback that tonight had to deal with what most other great QBs have had to deal with far more often than he has: tremendous pressure.

Brady was working with one of the most gifted WRs of all time and one of the greatest slot receivers of all time. Tonight just showed that every QB will have trouble when under pressure. Brady is no different.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:13 PM   #619
kurtism
High School Varsity

Quote:

Phil Simms? Welcome to FOFC!!!
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:13 PM   #620
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
I'd put the '07 Giants ahead of that fraud Dolphins team that beat exactly ONE team with a winning record all season.

Bitter? LOL
Old 02-03-2008, 10:13 PM   #621
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

Well, this is the criteria that has been set by the Patriots fans. Myself, I think it's pretty ridiculous that (for example), Jim Kelly is suddenly a much better QB if Scott Norwood makes that FG. If Viniateri misses all those clutch kicks, Brady isn't any better or worse a QB in my mind.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #622
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Brady did not have a good game, but come on, he was obviously playing with an injury. He wasn't nearly as mobile as he usually is, and his mechanics were obviously affected on some plays. He's still an all-time great QB.

Not the way I saw it. He stepped away from pressure and moved in the pocket about the same as always. The difference was the frequency of the pressure.

Brady played poorly because that's what QBs do when they're harrassed all game long.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #623
dime
High School JV

Quote:

bill simmons, is that you?
Old 02-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #624
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Have to remember the line did lose Neil at the end of the 1st half which didn't help.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #625
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Brady did not have a good game, but come on, he was obviously playing with an injury.
If he was seriously hurt, it would have been on the injury report. NFL teams are required to report on injuries, and Belichik respects the rules.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:16 PM   #626
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
If he was seriously hurt, it would have been on the injury report. NFL teams are required to report on injuries, and Belichik respects the rules.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #627
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Samuels not only cost the Pats the game, he probably cost himself millions of dollars in the off-season.

As a Titans fan this just isn't true. I am certain they would dropa ton of coin on him like a bunch of teams will. He won't be in NE next season for sure. I hope they enjoy having Hobbs as their #1 CB.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #628
dime
High School JV

Quote:

I call BS on that...samuels has been carrying that secondary all year, and it's not like he dropped a gimme in the breadbasket or something. He will make al ot of money, the question is whether the patriots will be paying him or not. They don't like to do that, all their players (except brady, apparently) are just replacable parts to be used by the genius of bill.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #629
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Have to remember the line did lose Neil at the end of the 1st half which didn't help.

Off the top of my head, Neal was the second worst lineman in the first half after Nick "turnstile" Kaczur. Big fricking deal. They just didn't show up to play today, and it cost them the game.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:18 PM   #630
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime View Post
I call BS on that...samuels has been carrying that secondary all year, and it's not like he dropped a gimme in the breadbasket or something. He will make al ot of money, the question is whether the patriots will be paying him or not. They don't like to do that, all their players (except brady, apparently) are just replacable parts to be used by the genius of bill.
It's not that he won't get a big contract. It's just that "and on top of all that, I made the game-winning pick in the dying minutes of the super bowl" would probably have added some dollars to whatever he winds up getting.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:18 PM   #631
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
We kept talking about it during the game - his medium to long throws were no where near as crisp and accurate as usual. Something was definitely going on with his health.

Obviously, the Giants got more pressure on him than any team this season, but when Brady did have time he just didn't seem completely healthy.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:18 PM   #632
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Anyone else really looking forward to this week's "NFL: In Pictures"?

Well, duh. But, then again, it's my favorite thread pretty much every week

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #633
st.cronin
General Manager

Samuels had an excellent game, I thought, and an excellent post-season. He was on Tyree that one TD, but he made sure it had to be a perfect throw.

knives out
Old 02-03-2008, 10:20 PM   #634
dime
High School JV

the pats oline wasn't THAT bad...the cowboys' line was getting beat on every single play in their playoff game vs the giants, and they weren't even bringing blitzers.

so when brady plays poorly it's his oline's fault, but when romo puts up more points under more pressure it's his fault for going to mexico with some broad. perception is a funny thing.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:21 PM   #635
vtbub
College Starter

Woot!

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #636
st.cronin
General Manager

I also didn't think there was THAT much of a gap between how the New England O-line played today, and how they played Week 17. There was a little bit more pressure, but not much. The difference was Brady, and the Giants secondary playing 100% better.

knives out
Old 02-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #637
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Some of the comments that Pats-haters have made are far more classless than anything I saw any Pats fans post here this season.

Pats fans are held to a higher standard by the FOFC "classiness" police for some reason.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:23 PM   #638
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Brady is a great QB, and still one of the best but the better team won tonight. No other way to put it, it doesn't make Brady shitty, him and his team got beat - he didn't lose the game for them by himself.

With that said, I'm glad that the Giants won, and that the Patriots lost. With all the spygate stuff, I really didn't want to see them go undefeated, especially with some of the classeless (mainly the coach) people on their team. Also seeing Eli step up big, and Strahan finally get a ring is great.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:23 PM   #639
dime
High School JV

Quote:
Pats fans are held to a higher standard by the FOFC "classiness" police for some reason.

sorry to break it to you, but it's in the rules.

being obsessed with and attempting to control everyone else's perception of your team = not classy. (actually, it's just irritating as hell, but close enough)
Old 02-03-2008, 10:24 PM   #640
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Not the way I saw it. He stepped away from pressure and moved in the pocket about the same as always. The difference was the frequency of the pressure.

Brady played poorly because that's what QBs do when they're harrassed all game long.

Agree. I always get tired of the quarterback getting primarily blamed for losses (i.e. Peyton Manning). The Patriots lost because the Giants won the battle at the line on both sides of the ball and miraculous play by Eli at the end of the game. Brady is still one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game. I'm really glad the Patriots lost though because I think the media would have crowned him as the greatest ever and I think that would have been ridiculous considering how much of a team sport football is.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:24 PM   #641
MikeVic
Head Coach

Hahahaha! Greatest thing I could ask for in the Super Bowl. Giants win, Eli playing well, awesome play near the end of te game, TD by Burress. Very nice!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:26 PM   #642
MikeVic
Head Coach

I haven't read the thread, but will someone summarize for me if the Pats' fans are being tasteful in defeat or making excuses?
Old 02-03-2008, 10:26 PM   #643
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime View Post
sorry to break it to you, but it's in the rules.

being obsessed with and attempting to control everyone else's perception of your team = not classy. (actually, it's just irritating as hell, but close enough)

I'm not sure you know what "classy" means. But I appreciate the thought that I can apparently control things.

Last edited by molson : 02-03-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #644
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I haven't read the thread, but will someone summarize for me if the Pats' fans are being tasteful in defeat or making excuses?

I've said about 1,000 times how much the Giants kicked ass but am apparently still "not classy".

Oh well, I tried my best...

Last edited by molson : 02-03-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #645
Izulde
Head Coach

I figured out what the blackout was due to. Low blood sugar.

I'm now plowing through a bunch of bananas and a couple apples and feeling much better.

Oh yeah, and the phrase: the 1972 Miami Dolphins, still the only undefeated team in NFL history, is still sweet, sweet music to my ears.

One hell of a Super Bowl and I have to give props to Eli. He did what I never thought he had the ability to do.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:28 PM   #646
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
I've said about 1,000 how much the Giants kicked ass but am apparently still "not classy".

Yeah, calling the 72 dolphins a "fraud" is very classy.

What a joke.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:28 PM   #647
dime
High School JV

Quote:
I'm not sure you know what "classy" means. But I appreciate the thought that I can apparently control things.

Dude, lighten up. You're always hunting nfl threads for anything patriot-related that may injure you. Your team lost the super bowl and you're on the internet crying about whether or not you or someone else was called "classy" or "not classy" or whatever...why?

it is clear that you are a masochist. that's cool, but don't expect me to humor you with it.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:30 PM   #648
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
I've said about 1,000 times how much the Giants kicked ass but am apparently still "not classy".

I'm just asking, don't want to wade through pages of comments. I thought it was an amazing Super Bowl. Final quarter has to go down as one of the best ever.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:30 PM   #649
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Brady's post-game conference was a testament to himself....I give him kudos for being extremely professional in defeat. +1 to Tom Brady. Mercury Morris is still a jerkoff, even if I was rooting for the same result he was.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:30 PM   #650
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
The '72 Dolphins are still an overrated embarrassment.

How can a team that is the only undefeated Super Bowl champions be overrated?

An embarrassment? Sure some of them comment when any team has been talked about matching their undefeated record. But I do believe if another team does go undefeated the majority of those guys will congratulate them, including Mercury. Personally I've never had a problem with the 72'ers discounting the greatest season talk whether it's the current Patriots, Colts of last year, or Ditka's Bears. Today's game proves the point, lots of talk all season long and yet the Dolphins are still the only ones in the club. Is it the pressure? Luck? Doesn't really matter does it? They have the only perfect season and have every right to be proud of that.

I'm curious if you are old enough to have watched the 72 Dolphins play? I am (fwiw I've been a Rams fan since 1968 so I'm not an old AFLer or homer for the Fish). They were a great team that had a great 4-5 year run mostly in a 3 yards and a cloud of dust era. They were a bunch of "team first" type of guys, much like todays Patriots, and I would say the majority of football fans wanted to see them go undefeated unlike the Patriots (at least the poll I read was something like 54% wanting the Pats to lose). Not really sure why the Pats get so much hate. More media than 35 years ago with 24 hour coverage? Belicheck? Boston now winning multiple titles in both football and baseball with the Celtics on the rise?

Too me people get lost in trying to make the greatest team argument, ie are the 72 Dolphins the greatest or if the Pats went 19-0 are they the greatest.
IMHO the greatest team argument is something that can never be proved because of different eras. But the greatest season argument at least IMHO is still valid and has to go to the Dolphins as the only undefeated Champions.

And on topic. Congrats to the Giants they played a great game especially on defense. The Pats played hard and had every chance to win. Mercury may claim the pressure of going undefeated did them in, I don't believe that for a moment. Brady did his thing getting a late TD to get the lead and the NE defense didn't fold in the end. Manning just made a great play escaping what looked like a sure sack and Tyree made a great catch despite NE being in positions to deny them. Sometimes that's just the way it goes. NE ends up 18-1, a great accomplishment, but without the championship a disappointment.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote