Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-26-2007, 05:43 PM   #601
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Didn't Ty Willingham win at STANFORD? Stanford gave him seven years. He took them a Rose Bowl and won more games there than anyone since Pop Warner. They went to four bowl games in seven years. Sure, he only won one of them. But so what?

But I guess that doesn't make him a good coach. I mean, it's athletic powerhouse that is the Leland Stanford Junior University.

There is only one national champion. 2 at the most if the title is split. Why do all of these programs out there think they can fire their coach each time they don't win said title? There's only one and with all of the subjectivity involved in the process...you'd expect people to realize that the good ol' days aren't here anymore.

Or on second thought, I wouldn't expect people to think about anything. We're talking sports.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-26-2007 at 05:45 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:48 PM   #602
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colum...9&sportCat=ncf

Mostly because of what he says about delusional people who defend the BCS. But there are other gems in there, too.

That article is hysterical. He makes some great points.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:11 PM   #603
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Pretty minor story in the grand scheme, but a couple of things jumped out at me.

Q1 - from the story, how often do you see a 25 year old junior that doesn't involve a Mormon mission trip? (And I'm assuming that isn't the case since it isn't mentioned in his bio) Is this actually just more common than I realize, or is that as odd as I think it is?

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/...s_arrest.shtml
Georgia long snapper Jeff Henson could be suspended for the Bulldogs' bowl game after he was arrested early Sunday morning on charges of driving under the influence and driving the wrong way on a one-way street.

Henson was arrested after an officer spotted the junior driving a black Chevy Avalanche toward his police vehicle at 1:57 a.m. Sunday, Athens-Clarke police said. The vehicle was traveling the wrong way down East Washington Street near North Jackson Street, according to the incident report.

The report states that Henson, 25, smelled of alcohol, his speech was slurred, his movements were slow and he had to hold onto the door and doorframe of the car to steady himself.

Henson was booked into the Clarke County Jail at around 2:30 a.m. Sunday and released on bonds totaling $2,000 about an hour later.

Henson, a Gainesville native, joined the football program last season after attending Gainesville State College.

Athletic Association discipline guidelines for student athletes cited with alcohol offenses require suspension of 10 percent of a season on a first offense. A suspension must be served immediately, according to policy.

Georgia coach Mark Richt is aware of the arrest, but no decision about a punishment has been made, athletic spokesman Claude Felton said.

Q2: How in the heck does Kurt Angle still have college eligibility left?
Old 11-26-2007, 06:12 PM   #604
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
That article is hysterical. He makes some great points.

I'd like to hear them. Gene Wojciechowski generally writes crap and that looks like nothing more than the one-sided, unimaginitive stuff he typically spews.

You can point out a lot of holes in the BCS, but if an unbeaten Hawaii team is the best you can do then you need to work a little harder.

He's also using the same argument for Tebow's Heisman case as every other writer in America right now. He scored a lot of touchdowns, and he even points out that less than half were from 5 or more yards out!

The Callahan stuff has been pointed out ever since he was hired. Everyone knew it was a bad fit, there's been hundreds of articles about it, yet Mr. Wojceichowski jumps on the bandwagon now.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:14 PM   #605
st.cronin
General Manager

Mr. W's argument against the BCS, for the lazy:

Since there aren't exactly two undefeated teams from the big conferences, the BCS is a failure!

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:14 PM   #606
JHandley
High School Varsity

Quote:
Didn't Ty Willingham win at STANFORD? Stanford gave him seven years. He took them a Rose Bowl and won more games there than anyone since Pop Warner. They went to four bowl games in seven years. Sure, he only won one of them. But so what?

But I guess that doesn't make him a good coach. I mean, it's athletic powerhouse that is the Leland Stanford Junior University.

There is only one national champion. 2 at the most if the title is split. Why do all of these programs out there think they can fire their coach each time they don't win said title? There's only one and with all of the subjectivity involved in the process...you'd expect people to realize that the good ol' days aren't here anymore.

Or on second thought, I wouldn't expect people to think about anything. We're talking sports.

In UW's defense, expecting to not finish last year in and year out is a reasonable expectation. We're not talking bloated national championship expectations. This isn't Nebraska.

Last edited by JHandley : 11-26-2007 at 06:15 PM.
JHandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:16 PM   #607
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Ty did do an admirable job at Stanford, and it's why, despite some misgiving about the hire, I was willing to give Ty a chance at the UW. But even with his success at Stanford, he also showed a propensity for inconsistency, following 2 winning records at Stanford (7-4-1, 7-5) with 2 losing records (5-6, 3-8), 1 winning record (8-4) and arguably the weakest Pac-10 champion in decades (the defense gave up 400+ ypg that year), 1 losing record (5-6) and then one final winning record (9-3) that got him hired at Notre Dame. Let's also not forget that Stanford doesn't have the same level of expectation for their football program that a place like the UW would have - they were more willing to endure his down years. At the UW, this is virgin territory - never before has this program suffered 4 consecutive losing seasons. Never before has a coach started his career here with 3 losing seasons.

Stanford is a somewhat unique situation. Given the academic requirements, only a certain sub-section of recruits is even eligible for Stanford. That limits things for Stanford, but those recruits are also far more likely to value a Stanford education. A good percentage of recruits that qualify for Stanford choose Stanford. It can be argued that Ty thrived in that kind of environment - brainy, intellectual recruits that responded to his personality and coaching style.

But put Ty in a standard NCAA recruiting situation, and it may be a different story. His recruiting classes at the UW so far have been mediocre, and after the big recruiting class at Notre Dame following Ty's successful first season there, his recruiting there went downhill quickly. Ty's success at Stanford doesn't necessarily translate to other situations, and that's what we're seeing with him at the UW.

Quote:
Maybe you're not reading my posts closely - I don't expect the UW to compete for National Championships every year. That's something that they might be in consideration for once per decade if things are going well. But I do think it's reasonable to expect the UW to finish in the upper 3rd of the Pac-10 consistently and contend for Rose Bowls into November every year (something they did from 1977-2003 under 3 different coaches). And I do think it's reasonable to expect Ty, by his 3rd year at the UW, to have them in a minor bowl, not finishing last or next to last every season.

The college football landscape has a few surprise programs rise every year, but on the whole, the top-tier teams remain fairly consistent from decade to decade. Some schools have the location, history and resources that provide advantages for success, and the UW has historically - and recently - one of them.

People thought the times had changed for USC and Oklahoma, but then they both made the right hire and they're both back to where they were before (and in USC's case, arguably better than they've ever been).

Quote:
Actually, as this board proves, there can be intellectually rigorous discussions of sports. Because you see things differently with regard to Ty doesn't mean I haven't carefully thought through my opinion of the job he's done at the UW.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:19 PM   #608
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

After reading dawgfan's post above, I suddenly have the terrible feeling that Willingham is going to end up at Georgia Tech. Therefore, while I definitely understand and support the UW contingent that wants him fired, I must ask that you wait until after GT hires a coach to do it.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:22 PM   #609
MJ4H
Coordinator

Houston Nutt expected to resign at a news conference scheduled for about 10 minutes from now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3128404

Last edited by MJ4H : 11-26-2007 at 06:25 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:22 PM   #610
st.cronin
General Manager

Jon, why wouldn't GaTech promote Tenuta to HC? I saw somebody above post that Tenuta was likely gone, but I thought the consensus was that Tenuta was responsible for the greatest part of their success in the last few years.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:31 PM   #611
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Jon, why wouldn't GaTech promote Tenuta to HC? I saw somebody above post that Tenuta was likely gone, but I thought the consensus was that Tenuta was responsible for the greatest part of their success in the last few years.

There are concerns that Tenuta might not be suited for the political aspect of the job.

Back when he was being (reportedly) considered for the Michigan State opening, his old boss John Cooper described him this way: a tough, old-fashioned coach, a no-nonsense guy who doesn't worry what people think. He worries about his team.

As much as I like him as a DC, I'm not convinced he would fare any better with the contributors than Gailey did ... unless he was putting up 9-10 wins a year. And the absence of much in the way of a groundswell of support for him as HC, which I've never really heard much more than whispered if that, kind of makes me feel like they've already got their doubts about him being the right guy.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:33 PM   #612
JHandley
High School Varsity

Unless you've been around to witness it, the frustration of UW fans may seem premature, but it is definitely reasonable. This program is proud and has been in constant decay since 2000:

Rick Neuheisel
Rick Neuheisel
Rick Neuheisel
Keith Gilbertson
Keith Gilbertson
Tyrone "Ty" Willingham
Tyrone "Ty" Willingham

I can't see them beating Hawaii this weekend which means 2-8 this year. I think the UW fans have a reasonable beef. My only point has been that I don't think their savior is out there hoping to get the call, I'd like to see them bring some stability to the program.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:34 PM   #613
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHandley View Post
My only point has been that I don't think their savior is out there hoping to get the call, I'd like to see them bring some stability to the program.

Chan Gailey is available.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:35 PM   #614
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Ty did do an admirable job at Stanford, and it's why, despite some misgiving about the hire, I was willing to give Ty a chance at the UW. But even with his success at Stanford, he also showed a propensity for inconsistency, following 2 winning records at Stanford (7-4-1, 7-5) with 2 losing records (5-6, 3-8), 1 winning record (8-4) and arguably the weakest Pac-10 champion in decades (the defense gave up 400+ ypg that year), 1 losing record (5-6) and then one final winning record (9-3) that got him hired at Notre Dame. Let's also not forget that Stanford doesn't have the same level of expectation for their football program that a place like the UW would have - they were more willing to endure his down years. At the UW, this is virgin territory - never before has this program suffered 4 consecutive losing seasons. Never before has a coach started his career here with 3 losing seasons.

Stanford is a somewhat unique situation. Given the academic requirements, only a certain sub-section of recruits is even eligible for Stanford. That limits things for Stanford, but those recruits are also far more likely to value a Stanford education. A good percentage of recruits that qualify for Stanford choose Stanford. It can be argued that Ty thrived in that kind of environment - brainy, intellectual recruits that responded to his personality and coaching style.

But put Ty in a standard NCAA recruiting situation, and it may be a different story. His recruiting classes at the UW so far have been mediocre, and after the big recruiting class at Notre Dame following Ty's successful first season there, his recruiting there went downhill quickly. Ty's success at Stanford doesn't necessarily translate to other situations, and that's what we're seeing with him at the UW.

Maybe you're not reading my posts closely - I don't expect the UW to compete for National Championships every year. That's something that they might be in consideration for once per decade if things are going well. But I do think it's reasonable to expect the UW to finish in the upper 3rd of the Pac-10 consistently and contend for Rose Bowls into November every year (something they did from 1977-2003 under 3 different coaches). And I do think it's reasonable to expect Ty, by his 3rd year at the UW, to have them in a minor bowl, not finishing last or next to last every season.

The college football landscape has a few surprise programs rise every year, but on the whole, the top-tier teams remain fairly consistent from decade to decade. Some schools have the location, history and resources that provide advantages for success, and the UW has historically - and recently - one of them.

People thought the times had changed for USC and Oklahoma, but then they both made the right hire and they're both back to where they were before (and in USC's case, arguably better than they've ever been).

Actually, as this board proves, there can be intellectually rigorous discussions of sports. Because you see things differently with regard to Ty doesn't mean I haven't carefully thought through my opinion of the job he's done at the UW.

I wasn't trying to knock your opinions. You were extremely detailed in your analysis and your position on the subject. And being a passionate fan who sees the games and can recall the past, makes you far more qualified than me -- Joe Observer -- to comment beyond the little bit I see.

You were more than thorough and I started off on a knee-jerk mostly devil's advocate position of "give the guy more time".

Plus, it's a reaction to a lot of people in college football -- powerbrokers, not really casual fans -- who have more than a hard time with coaches who...well...are 'different' than their concept of who a coach ought to be. So I tend to want to jump into those debates when my better judgment says "Play SimCity."

But after thinking about it -- and having a flashback to the Wyoming season that just past -- I saw ridiculous similarities between what Washington was doing, to what UW (the one here in Laramie) did this past season.

You all have more talent there hands down, I believe. But I think the thing I noticed is how you can truly tell the difference between a well-coached team that's bad and a poorly coached team with talent. Washington seemed to me, after first watching the game they lost against Ohio State game and then again when they played USC, seemed to be the latter.

And there is no way, with the talent you all probably attract on a bad day compared to what we get down here, that I ought to watch your game and think "beyond Jake Locker, this is like watching a Wyoming game."

But that's what happened when I saw them in just those two games.

But I still don't think they ought to fire him yet. If Mora wanted the job before, he'll be more than poised to take it next year when they decide to get rid of Ty after a sub-par season and there won't be any of the outcry you got after Notre Dame dropped him after 3 years.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:39 PM   #615
MJ4H
Coordinator

Houston Nutt officially resigned on ESPNews just now. Word is he's negotiating with Ole Miss.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:42 PM   #616
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Unless you've been around to witness it, the frustration of UW fans may seem premature, but it is definitely reasonable. This program is proud and has been in constant decay since 2000:

Rick Neuheisel
Rick Neuheisel
Rick Neuheisel
Keith Gilbertson
Keith Gilbertson
Tyrone "Ty" Willingham
Tyrone "Ty" Willingham

I can't see them beating Hawaii this weekend which means 2-8 this year. I think the UW fans have a reasonable beef. My only point has been that I don't think their savior is out there hoping to get the call, I'd like to see them bring some stability to the program.

2-8 is a huge step back. Especially with Locker at the helm. He's a real talent. No doubt about it. I just took a look at their schedule. I'm not sure why I felt like they'd won more games than that. That's pretty pathetic.

Mora might give that sort of stability you're talking about, given that he wants the gig and seems to be hanging out in the area waiting for them to give him the call. And with Sherman just getting a gig and Sly Croom's success at Miss. St., it might make hiring the pro guy the soup de jour.

Of course, firing Willingham for a pro guy with program ties got played a few years ago...and I can't see them wanting the inevitable PR storm that will come from making that move. But crazier things have happened.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:43 PM   #617
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Bah, but the three Hawaii fans are worse.

So why do we get stuck with their drivel here?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:45 PM   #618
JHandley
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Chan Gailey is available.

As a non-UW fan living in Seattle, that thought does put a little smile on my face.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:48 PM   #619
Atocep
Coordinator

I think the biggest thing working against Ty right now is Jake Locker. Washington fans are starting to get worried that his college career may be wasted on bad or mediocre teams. Ty isn't doing himself any favors there, he's the type of player that you should be able to build a couple recruiting classes around and its looking more and more like Locker and more average recruiting classes. Giving Ty another year means he has to win or else its going to take a miracle to salvage something to surround Locker with.

Someone said it earlier here, but I don't think Ty is meant to be a big time college coach. His demeanor and the way he deals with the political aspects of the job just don't fit. He'd be a much better fit as a coordinator at the major college level or as a non-BCS conference coach.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:03 PM   #620
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Plus, it's a reaction to a lot of people in college football -- powerbrokers, not really casual fans -- who have more than a hard time with coaches who...well...are 'different' than their concept of who a coach ought to be.
Ty Willingham wasn't fired from Notre Dame because he was black, and he won't be fired from Washington because he is black. He is a poor recruiter and a poor gameday coach who caught lightning in a bottle one, maybe two years, while at Stanford. There are many problems with D1 football and its treatment/lack of black coaches, but making Ty Willingham the poster boy is laughable.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 11-26-2007 at 07:05 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:13 PM   #621
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
I can't see them beating Hawaii this weekend which means 2-8 this year.

Actually, the Huskies are currently 4-8 (2-7 in conference) with the Hawaii game still to play. Their wins are Syracuse, Boise State, Stanford and Cal.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:28 PM   #622
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

The worry with Mora is he may not be available after this year. If Holmgren leaves/retires (which is thought to be a strong possibility) Mora is a prime candidate to replace him. If the 49ers can Nolan (something that has been rumored to be a possibility) Mora is likely a candidate for that job.

College teams are likely to go after him too - word is he's someone UCLA might look at.

I agree with your assessments of Ty - I just don't see a team that looks like it's better coached than their opponents. I see too many players under his staff that just don't improve much, if at all, over their careers.

I hate Notre Dame, and I would've loved for it to be true that Ty got screwed by them and that all of Weis's success has been due to Ty's recruiting. And while I think there's some substance to that view, I also have seen enough to be convinced that ultimately Notre Dame made the correct call in firing Ty. Given their history of always giving coaches 5 years, maybe they set a troubling precedent. But I think they probably made the right call.

And I think that the UW would get a lot less heat for firing Ty after 3 years given his record here than Notre Dame did. The UW also has a history of firing coaches after 3 years of under performing (unlike Notre Dame), and having black head coaches of men's and women's basketball should help deflect any accusations of racism in the decision.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:33 PM   #623
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post

FWIW, GT's AD is giving Tenuta an interview, and has named him the interim head coach for the bowl game this season; so if he doesn't get the job, he'll at least get a chance to show off.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:39 PM   #624
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
There are concerns that Tenuta might not be suited for the political aspect of the job.

Back when he was being (reportedly) considered for the Michigan State opening, his old boss John Cooper described him this way: a tough, old-fashioned coach, a no-nonsense guy who doesn't worry what people think. He worries about his team.

As much as I like him as a DC, I'm not convinced he would fare any better with the contributors than Gailey did ... unless he was putting up 9-10 wins a year. And the absence of much in the way of a groundswell of support for him as HC, which I've never really heard much more than whispered if that, kind of makes me feel like they've already got their doubts about him being the right guy.

Tenuta has also always played a very limited role in recruiting, supposedly by choice.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:23 PM   #625
JHandley
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
The worry with Mora is he may not be available after this year. If Holmgren leaves/retires (which is thought to be a strong possibility) Mora is a prime candidate to replace him. If the 49ers can Nolan (something that has been rumored to be a possibility) Mora is likely a candidate for that job.

College teams are likely to go after him too - word is he's someone UCLA might look at.

I thought his infamous quote was that he'd quit in the middle of the NFL season if UW offered him a job?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:24 PM   #626
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I just read Houston Nutt was fired.

edit: He resigned...

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/...112607adm.html

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 11-26-2007 at 08:24 PM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:32 PM   #627
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Lost in all the talk is college football losing one of its great ambassadors.

Joe Novak retired today after 12 years at NIU. He is accredited with completely turning around the program and giving it respect at the mid-major levels. I got to work under him personally for a while during my time at NIU and can say that he was a man who always put students first. He would always make sure I and those around him called him "Joe." He instilled discipline and respect to a program that had none when he took over.

It is just a shame he had to leave after such an injury plagued year.

Thanks for everything Mr. Novak..
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:40 PM   #628
RedKingGold
College Starter

Sometimes you feel like a Nutt
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:43 PM   #629
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
I just read Houston Nutt was fired.

edit: He resigned...

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/...112607adm.html

You could've also read it about 11 posts up
Old 11-26-2007, 09:44 PM   #630
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I thought his infamous quote was that he'd quit in the middle of the NFL season if UW offered him a job?

Yeah, but I think we all know he was exaggerating. Unless he absolutely craters his first season as an NFL head coach with a new team, I seriously doubt he'd leave for the UW.

I get the sense that coaching at the UW is something he'd really like to do at some point in his career. But the reality is that the timing has to line up for both parties. That timing may not come around for a long time, if ever, if Ty isn't fired in the next few weeks.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:10 PM   #631
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
A classic ref moment from this weekend's games:

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:16 PM   #632
wade moore
lolzcat

cartman - that is freakin' AWESOME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:24 PM   #633
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Good ol' Ron Cherry, perhaps the least popular official in ACC football history.
I don't think there's a team out there who hasn't felt completely & intentionally jobbed by him at least once. (Google the name & check the blogs, you'll see what I mean).
Old 11-26-2007, 10:29 PM   #634
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
And here was a completely unexpected moment from the player intros during the Colorado-Nebraska game. Truly awesome!

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:30 PM   #635
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Ron Cherry-See Incompetent...Yes I THINK EVERY ACC FAN HATES HIM...

AT the Clemson FSU game to start the season, the entire stadium booed when thee officiating crew took the field.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:58 PM   #636
Buccaneer
Head Coach

cartman, can you tell me what he said?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:05 PM   #637
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
And here was a completely unexpected moment from the player intros during the Colorado-Nebraska game. Truly awesome!

LOL!!!

Kick ass! That was great!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:05 PM   #638
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
can you tell me what he said?

Personal foul on #69, he was giving him the business, 15 yard penalty...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:10 PM   #639
Buccaneer
Head Coach

That's what I thought. That's an old line from an NFL call back in the early 90s or something. Anyone remember that?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:49 PM   #640
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
That's what I thought. That's an old line from an NFL call back in the early 90s or something. Anyone remember that?

sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:16 AM   #641
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar View Post
Meanwhile, on the other side of the Cascades...

Apparently your AD is considering bringing CMP back, if he wants to go. Considering the late season meltdowns the past three years, I might not be horrified if it happened.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_7566445

Rumors about Mike Price's future at UTEP are as common the week after Thanksgiving as leftovers.

Washington State, where Price enjoyed the greatest success of his coaching career from 1989 to 2002, parted ways with Price's friend and current head football coach Bill Doba. And Price figures to be among the candidates to replace him.

Doba said Monday he will not return at Washington State after a 5-7 season in which the team missed going to a bowl game for a fourth consecutive year.

In what was called a mutual decision, Doba and Washington State athletic director Jim Sterk said Doba decided during a Monday morning meeting he would step down after five seasons. He was 30-29 at Washington State, including Saturday's 42-35 win over Washington, which gave him a 3-2 record against the Cougars' rival.

Doba, 67, blamed widespread speculation that he would be fired for damaging his ability to recruit, and said he wanted to take a break after four decades of coaching.

"I felt with all the negative press and Internet, and all the rumors, it was difficult, and with my age, to go out and recruit," Doba said during an emotional news teleconference from Pullman. "I have no regrets and no animosity."

Price had an 83-78 record at Washington State, including Rose Bowl trips in 1997 and 2002 and a Sun Bowl trip in 2001, before leaving for Alabama.

"I have not spoken with Washington State," Price said Monday, two hours before a news conference at Washington State made Doba's departure
Advertisement
official. "I talked with coach Doba to congratulate him on the Apple Cup victory Saturday night (Washington State beat Washington).

"I wouldn't want to make any comment. It should come from coach Doba.

"There will be a lot of positions available, I'm not going to react to every job that's open.

"I'll let that info come from Washington State and Bill Doba."

Price was not available after Washington State's news conference.

Sterk, the Washington State athletic director, acknowledged Saturday in a story in the Seattle Times that if a change is made, Price is a potential candidate.

"He would be somebody on a list of coaches that I would obviously consider but by no means is he the guy," Sterk was quoted as saying in the Seattle Times.

Price's hottest assistant, his son and offensive coordinator Eric Price, was a candidate last year at Tulane, but the younger Price said he wants to remain in El Paso.

"I left Washington State (following the 2000 season) for the New York Jets after we went 4-7 that year," Eric Price said. "I knew everyone was back and I thought, 'I'm going to leave and these guys are going to win big.' After I left they went to the Sun Bowl, the Rose Bowl and the Holiday Bowl.

"I'm thinking I need to stay here because good things are going to happen. ...

"This is a great spot to be, especially when I see all my friends getting fired from places they didn't want to be in the first place."

Mike Price, meanwhile, said UTEP hasn't made any changes in position coaches at this time and doesn't have a time frame on any changes that might occur.

"Position coaches, moving coaches, I'm putting it all together right now," he said.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:29 AM   #642
Butter
Coordinator

Cartman, those Colorado introductions were awesome!
Old 11-27-2007, 08:01 AM   #643
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post

Venables has always been a smug little punk. We'll see what he has to say when his defense gets run over on Saturday.

He should know better than to feed the fire like this. It's one thing for a college kid to give bulletin board material. It's another think to be a coach and do the same thing.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 11-27-2007 at 08:02 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:05 AM   #644
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Venables has always been a smug little punk. We'll see what he has to say when his defense gets run over on Saturday.

He should know better than to feed the fire like this. It's one thing for a college kid to give bulletin board material. It's another think to be a coach and do the same thing.

If you need bulletin board material to get yourself pumped for a game like this, your team is in trouble.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 11-27-2007 at 08:28 AM. Reason: grammar
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:13 AM   #645
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Ron Cherry-See Incompetent...Yes I THINK EVERY ACC FAN HATES HIM...
Nah...I worked with Ron for a few years back when he was doing SEC games...he's a top notch guy.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:38 AM   #646
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
If you need bulletin board material to get yourself pumped for a game like this, your team is in trouble.

Exactly. Venerable's failure to act like a professional is definitely a sign of weakness. He knows that his team is going to give up a lot of points this weekend and he's not going to like it.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:44 AM   #647
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Thanks sooner, I thought I had remembered seeing that live.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:52 AM   #648
miami_fan
Coordinator

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3129559

Quote:
JACKSON, Miss. -- From one Southeastern Conference team to another, Houston Nutt was out of a job for about six hours.

Nutt agreed to a contract with Mississippi late Monday night, just hours after he announced his resignation at Arkansas. The hiring was confirmed by a person close to the program who didn't want to be identified because the announcement had not yet been made.

Ole Miss was searching for a proven winner after firing coach Ed Orgeron on Saturday. The Rebels finished winless in the Southeastern Conference for the first time since 1982 and appeared to take a step backward after three years under the former Southern Cal assistant.

Nutt neatly fits the description of the coach Ole Miss was looking for. He is 111-70 in 15 years as a head coach, compiling a 111-70 record at Arkansas, Boise State and Murray State.

More importantly, he's been a winner in the SEC. The Little Rock, Ark., native rebuilt the Arkansas program, going 75-48 since his hiring in 1997 to replace Danny Ford. He was 42-38 in conference with one of his biggest wins coming last week when the Razorbacks beat No. 1 LSU 50-48 triple-overtime win.

While Arkansas is likely headed to the Cotton Bowl, Nutt will be going to the homes of recruits to try to hold together the promising class Orgeron was assembling.

Nutt, 50, said Monday he left Arkansas to help mend a split among fans after off-the-field problems were compounded by a difficult season. The Razorbacks started the year ranked and were expected to contend for the SEC West title against the Tigers.

Arkansas lost its first three SEC games and dropped out of the poll in September, fueling fan discontent over last year's transfer of quarterback Mitch Mustain.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:59 AM   #649
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Good hire by Old Miss. Also a good move to get it done quick to make sure they have a chance to hold on to the recruits.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:41 PM   #650
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Dang. Just saw the cover of Sports Illustrated. Chase Daniel and the Missouri Tigers. Stupid curse.