Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-05-2007, 08:13 AM   #601
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
Whether Nylander is right or wrong here (I'm still a bit on the fence here), Lowe strikes me as a guy who is lashing out because things haven't gone his way. If he "had known" he would have re-signed Smyth? If he had known what? that it was going to be a very competitive market this summer and that Smyth would ultimately go for far more than he was requesting before the deadline? DUH?

Based on what I've heard (I really haven't read too much of the above, just skimmed it.)

Lowe is definitely lashing out. I think all sides are culpable here to some degree. He has a right to be pissed. And, yes, he should have re-signed Ryan Smyth, but hindsight is 20-20.

I don't blame Lowe for relying on the e-mail confirmation from Nylander's agent. I would assume that those type of e-mail confirmations are something that's done in the regular course of business in the NHL. You negotiate a deal, send a confirmation e-mail (in writing), and then follow it up with the actual signed agreement. Granted, under the NHL rules, nothing is binding except for a singed agreement, but I don't think Lowe should be held over the coals for relying on something that 9 times out of 10 is completely reliable (the confirmation e-mail). He just got burned here and he's pissed off about that. He has a right to be.

It sounds like there may have been some mis-communication or lack of communication between Nylander and his agent. Perhaps Nylander decided, on his own, that he didn't want to go to Edmonton and so he signed the deal with Washington. The right thing for him to do the moment he knew he was going to sign with the Caps would have been to tell his agent and have his agent call Lowe immediately and tell him that the deal with the Oilers was off. That's what should have been done. The fact that Nylander appeared to be dodging Lowe's calls and either told his agent (and his agent didn't get back to Lowe ASAP) or didn't tell his agent, was really bad form. I am not sure how much time it would have saved Lowe or if the Oilers could have made another move if they had known 6, 8, 10 hours earlier, but it's certainly possible.

I don't see where the Capitals are at fault here.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:22 AM   #602
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I've got to say that I'm unhappy with Brad Lukowich leaving New Jersey, although I expected it to happen. He's headed back to Tampa Bay. He was really solid with the Devils, and I think the team will miss him.

Honestly, I think the New Jersey defense was weak enough last season, with them trying to work in three rookies and a still-young Paul Martin. Of those three rookies, only Oduya got much experience. Andy Greene only played a lot in the playoffs, and I think Alex Brooks was just a stopgap. I don't know if any of those guys are going to be diamonds in the rough. I'm not even sure about Paul Martin yet, to tell you the truth. Anyway, my point is that the Devils have now lost two experienced defensemen, both of whom played important roles for Stanley Cup winners.

If Sheldon Souray returns to New Jersey, maybe whoeverthisyear'scoachis can teach him how to play defense. The team could use his offense for sure, and if they can squeeze some defense out of him, it'd be a big bonus.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:04 AM   #603
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

ok my thoughts:

- While I don't condone what Nylander did, I also think Lowe is going overboard on this. It happened, it was shitty, stop whining.
- Lowe looks like even more of an idiot when reading that interview. "If I had known..."?? Umm, everyone else knew, where were you? Why is it a revelation to this guy that re-signing your own guys is easier (and generally a little cheaper) then wading into free agency? How did this man get this job?
- HiFi = troll
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:40 AM   #604
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
- Lowe looks like even more of an idiot when reading that interview. "If I had known..."?? Umm, everyone else knew, where were you? Why is it a revelation to this guy that re-signing your own guys is easier (and generally a little cheaper) then wading into free agency? How did this man get this job?

Who is "everyone else" and "what" did they know?

As for his comment about not re-signing Smyth, I bet you he'd still do it the same again because I think Lowe thought, right or wrong, he'd have a shot at landing somebody better this summer even if he had to overpay.

I think the big kick in the teeth is that the big 3 wouldn't even talk to him...I don't think he counted on that whatsoever. Product of being up north? Coaching staff? Himself, personally? Who knows. Sounds like he can change two of those three conditions and I'm thinking the easiest one, maybe the toughest one for him, is to clean house and hire a new coaching staff.

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 07-05-2007 at 01:41 PM.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:58 AM   #605
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
As for his comment about not resigning Smyth, I bet you he'd still do it the same again because I think Lowe thought, right or wrong, he'd have a shot at landing somebody better this summer even if he had to overpay.

I think the big kick in the teeth is that the big 3 wouldn't even talk to him...I don't think he counted on that whatsoever. Product of being up north? Coaching staff? Himself, personally? Who knows. Sounds like he can change two of those three conditions and I'm thinking the easiest one, maybe the toughest one for him, is to clean house and hire a new coaching staff.

or the product of trading away the heart and soul of your team at the deadline because of 100 grand? yeah, that's endearing to potential free agents.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:14 AM   #606
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Who is "everyone else" and "what" did they know?

As for his comment about not resigning Smyth, I bet you he'd still do it the same again because I think Lowe thought, right or wrong, he'd have a shot at landing somebody better this summer even if he had to overpay.

I took Lowe's quote to mean if only he'd known he'd have trouble getting a UFA, that he'd have re-signed Smyth. I think it was pretty obvious that Edmonton is not really a highly-desirable destination to a lot of NHL'ers at this point, and when you roll the dice on free agency, there are obviously no guarantees.

When they were deciding on the Smyth issue back in the winter, did Lowe say "I'm positive we can sign Michael Nylander for less, lets go that route"?
If Lowe is surprised about where the Oilers are at right now, he's an idiot. He rolled the dice and crapped out, and now he's trying to save face.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 07-05-2007, 01:38 PM   #607
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
As in Karl? What the hell is going on here with the Devils signing Rangers castoffs?

Devils sign Kevin Weekes.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212831&hubname=nhl

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:42 PM   #608
Pyser
Pro Rookie

ill take weekes. if he gets 10 starts is a fine signing. being the devils backup goalie is like being angelina jolie's sister...who cares?
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:48 PM   #609
bbor
Pro Starter

Roenick retired via a text message...AHAHHA

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:49 PM   #610
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Wow, Kevin Weekes is the highest-profile backup goalie I've seen in New Jersey since John Vanbiesbrouck. Who else have they had there? Corey Schwab, Chris Terreri, Mike Dunham, Scott Clemmensen... except for Dunham, none of those guys actually got much in the way of playing time, but I bet they cashed quite a paycheck.

Kevin Weekes just won what I like to call the "Doug Pederson Award", named after the former Green Bay Packers backup QB who spent several years holding a clipboard and collecting a paycheck. Congrats, Kevin!
Old 07-05-2007, 01:51 PM   #611
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Roenick retired via a text message...AHAHHA

Don't make me bring out the youtube clip.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:10 PM   #612
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
being the devils backup goalie is like being angelina jolie's sister...who cares?
Die in a grease fire.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:11 PM   #613
bbor
Pro Starter

Did i hear right..Anders Erickson signed a deal with the Flames.....Is this the same Erickson that played with the Leafs a few years ago?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:13 PM   #614
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Did i hear right..Anders Erickson signed a deal with the Flames.....Is this the same Erickson that played with the Leafs a few years ago?
Maybe Grant Jennings wanted too much money?
Old 07-05-2007, 02:17 PM   #615
MikeVic
Head Coach

What happened to Darren Puppa and Jeff Reese?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:18 PM   #616
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Die in a grease fire.

oh, right. you guys.

i know toronto's upset, but you wouldnt believe how little thought devils fans have given to that "controversy".

i understand the kaberle-janssen thing much more.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:18 PM   #617
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
What happened to Darren Puppa and Jeff Reese?
Jeff Reese briefly backed up Martin Brodeur. I should have mentioned him also in my post about Kevin Weekes.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #618
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Jeff Reese briefly backed up Martin Brodeur. I should have mentioned him also in my post about Kevin Weekes.

Did he really?? Wow. I thought he was a Maple Leaf for life.

It's funny, for whatever reason if you asked me to name former Leaf players off the top of my head, it would be:

Gilmour, Potvin, Wendell Clark, Darcy Tucker, and Jeff Reese.

edit: And then Sundin pops in a minute after I submitted my post.

Last edited by MikeVic : 07-05-2007 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:22 PM   #619
bbor
Pro Starter

I think Reece started for awhile in Boston...no?

Old 07-05-2007, 02:23 PM   #620
bbor
Pro Starter

My bad...it was Calgary and then Hartford...not Boston.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:16 PM   #621
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I am stunned this guy is still in the league. He wasn't very good when he was with the Wings back in the early-to-mid 90's. I can't imagine him getting any better.

His biggest positive is that whenever I see him play I think of that scene in the Simpsons' episode where Homer was the coach of Bart and Lisa's hockey team and he spotted Uter in the lockeroom and laughed at him exclaiming

"Look! That kid has bosoms!"

Homer then starts chasing Uter around the lockeroom smacking him with a towel while Uter cries out "Don't make me run, I am full of chocolate!"

Whenever I see Anders Eriksson on the ice, I hear Uter cry out "Don't make me run, I am full of chocolate!"

Thanks, Calgary.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-05-2007, 03:31 PM   #622
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Reese a Leaf for life? Come on, he was part of the Gilmour trade!

My Darren Puppa story -- his cousin is married to a high school friend of my wife. We went to the wedding, and at the reception me and a few guys noticed that Puppa was there. Since we were bored and didn't really know anybody, we decided to play "How Many Pictures Can You Take With Darren Puppa in the Background".

I honestly think he caught on after about the eight time that people randomly posed for a photo directly in front of him.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 07-05-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:46 PM   #623
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Reese a Leaf for life? Come on, he was part of the Gilmour trade!

My Darren Puppa story -- his cousin is married to a high school friend of my wife. We went to the wedding, and at the reception me and a few guys noticed that Puppa was there. Since we were bored and didn't really know anybody, we decided to play "How Many Pictures Can You Take With Darren Puppa in the Background".

I honestly think he caught on after about the eight time that people randomly posed for a photo directly in front of him.

Haha oops.

That Puppa story is awesome!
Old 07-05-2007, 04:49 PM   #624
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Guerin to the Islanders.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212856&hubname=
Old 07-05-2007, 04:53 PM   #625
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

The deal sounds about right for Guerin. He was absolute poop in the playoffs last year.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:04 PM   #626
Pyser
Pro Rookie

ill bet my life savings guerin is a deadline day trade before that contract is up.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:20 PM   #627
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

So the Isles have added three of the best remaining FA's in Fedetenko, Guerin, and Comrie. That's really a big boost for us. If we can add one of the remaining top 4 d-men (Vaanenen, Vishnevski, D. Markov), we'll actually have a chance to be competive with Philly and NJ.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:27 PM   #628
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212858&hubname=nhl

Hnidy? They still make those?

BTW, what's up with the picture they gave him? They couldn't find one of him hitting someone, shooting, or, I don't know, just skating?

Maybe he is skating. It looks like he's about to fall.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:48 PM   #629
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Last year, when the Bruins hired Peter Chiarelli as GM, the Senators insisted that he not be allowed to begin his duties until mid-July.

Um... has anyone told Bryan Murray that he doesn't have a similar clause in his contract?
Old 07-05-2007, 08:17 PM   #630
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:

Yeah, Bubba has had a couple of stints with the Jackets since then (03-04, and then this past season) and he has actually become a servicable bottom pairing guy. With the acqusitions of Brookbank and Hedja, it has made him dispensable.

Bubba actually had a decent season last year, netting 29 assists and a +12 on a sucky team as the Jackets were. I was never impressed by him, but he's got enough experience where he won't make big mistakes.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:28 PM   #631
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212858&hubname=nhl

Hnidy? They still make those?

BTW, what's up with the picture they gave him? They couldn't find one of him hitting someone, shooting, or, I don't know, just skating?

Maybe he is skating. It looks like he's about to fall.

I have always liked Hnidy. If we are going to sign a 7th defenseman, not at all sad to see us sign one who will stick up for his teammates and throw the body around. If we get Jackman back, I think our defensive corps are filled out nicely.

That is a real bad photo as well. I guess he's just scored, but it looks like somebody has speared him to the plexiglass.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:02 PM   #632
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I don't think we can afford Jakman anymore (sal cap, I mean), and Hnidy is our sixth Dman unless Niedermayer comes back. I hope Niedermayer comes back.

You're right, though, he's a good get for a third pairing.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:46 AM   #633
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Comrie to the Isles and Hasek back for another year in Detroit...per TSN.ca.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #634
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

and Kevin Lowe has started the RFA poaching season, offering Vanek a 7 year, $50 million deal. Sabres are in a tough spot here...but if I'm them, I might think about those 4 1st round picks long and hard.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:47 AM   #635
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

What is Lowe doing? How is Vanek better than Smyth + 4 first round picks?? The next GM of the Oilers is going to be hamstrung for years.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:48 AM   #636
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not sure what I would like more, Saber fans losing another big guy from their team. Or hearing Kevin Lowe whine again that Vanek might have agreed to a contract but signed back with the Sabers.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:49 AM   #637
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
and Kevin Lowe has started the RFA poaching season, offering Vanek a 7 year, $50 million deal. Sabres are in a tough spot here...but if I'm them, I might think about those 4 1st round picks long and hard.

WOW!

Not sure I like where this is going.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:58 AM   #638
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
What is Lowe doing? How is Vanek better than Smyth + 4 first round picks?? The next GM of the Oilers is going to be hamstrung for years.

and, I have a feeling we'll be seeing the next GM sooner rather than later
Old 07-06-2007, 11:10 AM   #639
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

It started with the Pronger situation... Then the Ryan Smyth fiasco... Then the Oilers went completely into the tank during the last part of the season... Then the Michal Nylander thing.

It's been a rough year or so for Kevin Lowe. I think it all finally drove him mad.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:19 AM   #640
Travis
Pro Rookie

From an Oilers (and hockey) fan perspective, I think Lowe is ahead of the curve here. I didn't think he'd max out on the offer and risk losing four first rounders, but if we get Vanek, I highly doubt too many people around town will be too upset. We've got plenty of prospects in the system at every position and need help for *now*. I really think RFA offer sheets will start to become a very common thing over the next few seasons and they should be if teams aren't getting their guys signed (especially between division rivals to try and prevent guys like Phaneuf being had at bargain prices for a second contract).

I am a bit surprised that this was done prior to getting our last few RFA's inked (think Pitkanen is still on tap, not sure who all else), but once Torres and Greene were inked, the rumor mills started going pretty hard.

And, well, we have the picks to give. If this means giving Hemsky somebody who can actually skate with him and shoot the puck somewhere other than the goalies crest or 6 feet wide, it'll be worth it. Lowe is working with tied hands when it comes to UFA's, so he's down to trying to improve the team through RFA's and trades. And considering what we'd likely have to give up to trade for a top line player, the difference in price starts to become less and less.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:23 AM   #641
Travis
Pro Rookie

Dola, according to Spector's site, there is a press conference in Buffalo scheduled to start in about 10 minutes that will address whether they intend to match or not.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:25 AM   #642
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Hold on there a second...what about Nilsson (former first round pick), O'Marra (former first round pick), and the Isles first round pick this past draft that Lowe got for Smyth? That should factor into the equation...no?

So, Vanek at $7 mil/year and 4 first round picks for Smyth at $5.5 mil/year (apparently what last year's magic number was for him to sign), Nilsson, O'Marra, and Alex Plante (picked this year with the Isles pick) is what you should be comparing.

I'm not saying I like what Lowe is doing, but at least you should compare apples to apples.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Vanek is also 8 years younger.

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 07-06-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:28 AM   #643
Travis
Pro Rookie

And don't forget that Vanek is also 8 years younger than Smyth and already has a career high in goals that trumps any season of Smyth's.

And yes, obviously not as proven (and we know how Lupul performed last year) as Captain Canada, but not only do I like this potential equation more today, 3 years from now it's going to look that much better.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:29 AM   #644
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm so confused by these last two Oilers things. Why the hell is it so complicating?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:34 AM   #645
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Looks like Vanek is staying put. No link yet.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #646
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212929&hubname=
Old 07-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #647
Travis
Pro Rookie

Figured Buffalo would/will match. Even four first rounders is hard to take after already losing Briere and Drury.

Wonder how many RFA's will suddenly get signed in the next couple days
Old 07-06-2007, 11:40 AM   #648
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Rumour has it Ryder and Parise may be the next targets.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:43 AM   #649
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Sabres front office is not happy...as can be expected. Apparently both sides were talking last night and the Sabres made it clear that they would match any offer and I guess Lowe thought they were bluffing. The Sabres made sure to say that the Oilers can expect the same in the future, without hesitation.

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:46 AM   #650
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hold on there a second...what about Nilsson (former first round pick), O'Marra (former first round pick), and the Isles first round pick this past draft that Lowe got for Smyth? That should factor into the equation...no?

So, Vanek at $7 mil/year and 4 first round picks for Smyth at $5.5 mil/year (apparently what last year's magic number was for him to sign), Nilsson, O'Marra, and Alex Plante (picked this year with the Isles pick) is what you should be comparing.

I'm not saying I like what Lowe is doing, but at least you should compare apples to apples.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Vanek is also 8 years younger.

Fair enough, although I still think this was a dumb idea by Lowe.

Besides, isn't signing RFA's how the insane spending started a decade ago? I seem to remember guys (like Shanahan, Federov, and Tkachuk?) getting massive RFA offers in the mid-90's which was blamed as a large contributor to the overall rise in salaries.