Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-30-2006, 11:14 PM   #601
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Thank you Jerry Fucking Angelo.

"Don't get so fixed on this tight end because you're looking for holes," said Angelo, the Bears' general manager. "Every team has holes. Every team has an area that they need to address and get better at. We've done as good a job as you can possibly do. We will address the tight end.

"We haven't seen a tight end here since [Mike] Ditka. I don't want to say we haven't been able to play without one. Somehow, some way, we still line up and we're going to have to find ways to win games. Again, let's not make that the bull's-eye."
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:29 PM   #602
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Bush mania enveloping New Orleans

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- For a moment, Reggie Bush wasn't sure what to make of the rock-star ovation he got when he walked through the restaurant door.

"As soon as I got in there, there was a bunch of fans screaming and yelling. I thought it was staged," Bush said Sunday during a television interview at the Zurich Classic PGA tournament here, recalling his visit a night earlier to one of celebrity chef Emeril Lagasse's restaurants. "It's been great. Everyone I've run into has welcomed me. People here are so nice."
ADVERTISEMENT

Recall the images of those discarded refrigerators on the sidewalk after Hurricane Katrina -- the ones emanating that throat-stinging stench of maggot-ridden rot, the outside spray-painted with the warning, "Tom Benson inside."

Remember when fans here feared Benson, the longtime Saints owner, was about to abandon them for San Antonio in this historic city's worst moment?

Call it a misunderstanding. All has been forgiven, now that Bush mania is taking hold.

Benson got the reception of a conquering hero -- high fives aplenty -- when he ventured into a crowd of die-hards attending festivities outside the team's suburban New Orleans headquarters during NFL Draft weekend.

And the closest thing to Saints-related graffiti to be seen was a handwritten "Bush" on the back a Saints shirt worn by someone milling around at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival on Saturday, only hours after the Saints had made their first pick.

"The Superdome will sell out," predicted fan Art Sigur, a former St. Bernard Parish resident whose home was ruined during the storm. "It takes a lot to kill our spirit. Tom Benson almost did it right after the hurricane."

"We love him now, though," interjected fellow fan Claude Maher.

New Orleans was a small NFL market before the storm -- even smaller now -- but predictions of sellouts do not appear far-fetched.

The Saints ticket office was open during draft weekend. It was fully staffed and everyone was busy all day taking orders, said Mike Stanfield, Saints vice president of ticket and suite sales.

"It was big -- really big," Stanfield said of weekend season ticket sales, although he did not provide specifics. Single game tickets won't go on sale until later this year, "if there are any single game tickets left," he said.

Even before the draft, Saints executive Rita Benson LeBlanc, the owner's granddaughter, had said sales were on pace with 2003, when the Saints set a franchise record for season tickets sold with about 54,000.

The team's commitment to return to New Orleans and play a full regular season schedule in a repaired Superdome, combined with the free-agent signing of quarterback Drew Brees, already had generated excitement.

If everyone is healthy, the Saints will also line up players like running back Deuce McAllister and receivers Joe Horn and Donte Stallworth on offense. The addition of Bush, the 2005 Heisman Trophy winner, gives New Orleans an explosive and dynamic player who can run, receive and return kicks with such scintillating speed and agility that many believe he could become the best player in a generation.

The last time the Saints drafted second overall, they took quarterback Archie Manning, whose family now has the status of de facto royalty in New Orleans.

"Obviously, he's a legend out here," said Bush, who said he has met the elder Manning. "Hopefully, I can do the same."
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:11 AM   #603
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

PRINTER FRIENDLY PAGE
Three Scarlet Knights Sign NFL Deals
April 30, 2006
PISCATAWAY, NJ – Three seniors who helped lead the Rutgers football team to a berth in the 2005 Insight Bowl have agreed to free agent deals with NFL teams today.
Defensive end Ryan Neill, a two-time All-BIG EAST selection and MVP of the 2005 Scarlet Knights, signed with the Buffalo Bills. Another two-time All-BIG EAST choice, wide receiver Tres Moses, signed with the Baltimore Ravens, while fellow receiver Chris Baker signed with the San Francisco 49ers.
A fierce pass rusher from his defensive end position, Neill was second in the BIG EAST with 21.5 tackles for loss (8th among all NCAA Division I-A players), and tied for second in the BIG EAST with 10.0 sacks, in 2005. He earned All-America recognition from SI.com, and was a finalist for the Ted Hendricks Award, presented annually to the top defensive end in the country. The 6-3, 265-pound Neill also earned Academic All-America (District 2) honors, and was named to the BIG EAST’s All-Academic Football Team. Neill also excelled as the Scarlet Knights’ long-snapper.
“I’m excited to be going to Buffalo -- I think it’s a real good situation for me,” said Neill. “I’ve already spoken to the ‘d-line’ coach a couple of times today.”
The 5-10, 191-pound Moses finished his stellar career at Rutgers as the Scarlet Knights’ all-time leading receiver with 192 catches for 2,522 yards. As a senior, Moses, who was on the Biletikoff Watch List throughout the 2005 campaign, averaged 16.8 yards per catch on 45 receptions. As a junior, he set a BIG EAST single season record for catches per game (7.36), which ranked seventh nationally. Moses hauled in 81 passes for 1,056 yards in 2004. The versatile Moses was also an outstanding return man for the Scarlet Knights.
“I’m grateful for the opportunity to join the Ravens,” Moses said. “I’m looking forward to going down there, and going to work.”
The 6-5, 210-pound Baker caught a career-high 28 passes for 388 yards as a junior. He finished his career with 43 catches for 511 yards and four touchdowns.
“Just having this opportunity is exciting for me. It’s all football right now, and it doesn’t matter if you’re the first pick or the last guy signed,” said Baker. “I just want to go out there and be consistent, and show them that I can play football.”
All three will report to their respective teams’ mini-camps in early May.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:14 AM   #604
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Allen might have a chronic hip condition. He dislocated his hip last year at the ball socket, so those injuries could be very bad. But he's a talent if it's not a bad injury, looks like the Dolphins don't think its chronic.

That Wright guy is a great value in the 7th, he has a problem with taking off plays from what I've read.

This explains the free fall:

Quote:
Dolphins | R. Wright has torn rotator cuff
Sun, 30 Apr 2006 23:27:46 -0700

Joseph Duarte, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Miami Dolphins DL Rodrique Wright (shoulder) was informed Sunday, April 30, that he has a torn rotator cuff in his right shoulder. He will be evaluated in Miami Thursday, May 4, and will likely need surgery in the next couple weeks. Head coach Nick Saban told Wright the condition would likely worsen if he did not have surgery, "but once it's fixed you'll be good as gold."
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:20 AM   #605
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
I was hoping the Falcons would take Gerald Riggs, Jr in the 7th, would have been a nice nod to his dad.

Looks like Miami has picked up Riggs Jr.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:16 AM   #606
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
The Rams have signed Ed Nelson.

Now this might be one of the more interesting UDFA pickups.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/STL/9408935

STORRS, Conn. (April 30, 2006) -- Connecticut basketball player Ed Nelson signed a two-year, free-agent deal with the St. Louis Rams following the NFL draft.

"I didn't think I'd get drafted," said Nelson, expected to play tight end. "It's risky for a team to draft me, but a lot of teams know my potential."

Nelson, a 6-foot-8, 265-pound senior power forward, hasn't played football since his freshman year of high school.

Nelson, from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., played 29 games as a reserve for the UConn basketball team after transferring from Georgia Tech, where he was the ACC rookie of the year in 2001-02. He averaged three points and three rebounds at Connecticut.

At St. Thomas Aquinas High School, he averaged 26 points and 11 rebounds in his senior year and led the team to the Class 5A state title. He was named Florida Player of the Year for Class 6A-5A-4A by the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel.

Nelson will graduate from Connecticut this weekend.

"It's a pretty big weekend," he said.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:30 AM   #607
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Man, it's looking like Vick might even go unsigned at this point.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:53 AM   #608
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Would you want to deal with the headache that comes with Vick being in camp when he's probably a first cut anyway?
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:04 AM   #609
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Thank you Jerry Fucking Angelo.

"We haven't seen a tight end here since [Mike] Ditka. "

Wow.

I bet that's interesting news to:
TE Earl Thomas - Bears leading receiver in 1973
TE Emory Moorehead - Bears top non-RB rcvr in 1983 and 1985
TE Ryan Wetnight - 172 recpt from '93-'99
TE Desmond Clark - 92 rcpts from '03-'05

(okay, maybe Clark shouldn't count since he's part of the reason people are wishing for a TE)
Old 05-01-2006, 03:09 PM   #610
Swaggs
Coordinator

Two WVU d-backs signed FA deals:

Jahmille Addae signs a free agent deal with Tampa Bay. He was a heavy hitter, but I'm not sure he has the physical tools to be an NFL player, unless he moves to LB. Could be a gunner-type player on ST.
Mike Lorello signs a free agent deal with Pittsburgh. He played a FS/LB-type role in WVU's 3-3-5 defense. Again, he may not have the tools, but I could see him making the team as a 4/5th safety and ST player.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:36 PM   #611
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

WR Jovon Bouknight signed with Carolina, as an undrafted free agent which, after doing our mock draft I realized was the best fit for him. Good stuff.

Apparently, our terrible QB Corey Bramlet (whose brother was here before him and was a 7th round pick of the Bengals, but now plays for the Redskins) got signed by the Patriots. Maybe they'll keep him around for a few days to keep Tom Brady from injuring himself carrying bags, but hopefully that's it. He's (Bramlet) is awful.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:42 PM   #612
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
Bucs sign Andre Hall.

If he gets a real shot (probably with another team because of Cadillac), I could absolutely see him being considered a top 3 RB from this class within 5 years.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:28 PM   #613
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
The Eagles are going to draft Hank Baskett from New Mexico sometime later in the draft. (At least, they intend to.) He's going to be a good pro, comparable to maybe Plaxico Burress.

Eagles ended up with Avent as their WR, and Baskett signed with Minny. I still think he will eventually end up as a very good pro. He's one of the better college recievers I can remember watching. For the Lobos, whose qbs weren't very good and kept getting hurt, he was really the only credible reciever. Most plays the qb just watched him the whole way, never even looking at another player. It was really quite remarkable.

I'm not sure why he didn't get drafted.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:51 PM   #614
miami_fan
Coordinator

Question

What was the knock on Drew Olson QB from UCLA? He signed with Baltimore, but I thought he was at least worthy of being drafted.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:56 PM   #615
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Swaggs: How is McCanns, the Lions drafted him?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:02 PM   #616
QuikSand
lolzcat

I looked quickly and didn't see it --

Giants have signed Jai Lewis, PF from George Mason.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:34 PM   #617
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Bears undrafted FA signings -

Nate Bunce G Miami (OH)
Dion Byrum CB Ohio
Tim Day TE Oregon
Josh Huston K Ohio State
Travis Leffew G Louisville
Mark LeVoir T Notre Dame
Donnie McCleskey S California-Berkeley
Tyler McMeans G Miami (FL)
Mark Philmore WR Northwestern
P.J. Pope RB Bowling Green
Dwayne Slay S Texas Tech
Joel Stelly P Louisiana-Monroe
Cooper Wallace TE Auburn
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:39 PM   #618
DeToxRox
Head Coach

wheres there a list for undrafted FA signings?
Old 05-01-2006, 08:44 PM   #619
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
wheres there a list for undrafted FA signings?

http://www.draftdaddy.com/features/reset.cfm

Somone posted that earlier.. they seem to be covering it pretty well.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:46 PM   #620
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000

Touche. Thanks CT
Old 05-01-2006, 08:55 PM   #621
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

New England Signings

QB Corey Bramlet, Wyoming
S Keon Jackson, Toledo
OT Randy Hand, Florida
S Jarvis Herring, Florida
CB Vernell Brown, Florida
WR Matt Shelton, Notre Dame
LB Corey Mays, Notre Dame
LB Freddie Roach, Alabama

Anyone have a word on any of these guys. Interesting that there are 5 Florida guys including the draftees: Chad Jackson and Jeremy Mincey.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:14 PM   #622
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Swaggs: How is McCanns, the Lions drafted him?

Although he was a starter, he was not really a standout while at WVU, so I was pretty surprised to see him drafted. He is a tough player and has decent size and speed, but isn't really a great technician out there. I'd guess he could be a decent dimeback, maybe nickel, for a couple of years, but I would be surprised to see him develop into a starter. I guess he has some of the measurables you want, so if the coaching is real good, he could maybe turn into something.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:45 PM   #623
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Wow I can't believe no team took a chance as a UDFA on Mr Vick
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:52 PM   #624
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729

I just heard someone say on the radio talking about this. Even the Falcons do not want him because they are scared that Marcus might "be a bad influence on Michael." After reading the interview he had with ESPN, I would not take that shot either at this point. Especially when he is going to be the QB are your team.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:55 PM   #625
Swaggs
Coordinator

Maybe Vick will play in the AFL or CFL and see if he can establish himself a little bit.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:59 PM   #626
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729
He's gonna sign with the Dolphins tomorrow.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:02 PM   #627
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:

Hmm, they must know something no one else knows:

Atlanta:
DE Paul Carrington, Central Florida
LS Gavin Tarquinio, Georgia Tech
S Chris Reis, Georgia Tech
S Greg Threat, Miami (Florida)
WR Troy Bergeron, Georgia (AFL)
OC Kirk Ferenz, Iowa
DE Michael Bozeman, Ole Miss

DB Nick Turnbull, Florida International

So someone finally convinced Kirk to make the jump to the NFL.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:07 PM   #628
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
He's gonna sign with the Dolphins tomorrow.

seriously?
Old 05-01-2006, 10:12 PM   #629
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craptacular
Hmm, they must know something no one else knows:

Atlanta:
DE Paul Carrington, Central Florida
LS Gavin Tarquinio, Georgia Tech
S Chris Reis, Georgia Tech
S Greg Threat, Miami (Florida)
WR Troy Bergeron, Georgia (AFL)
OC Kirk Ferenz, Iowa
DE Michael Bozeman, Ole Miss

DB Nick Turnbull, Florida International

So someone finally convinced Kirk to make the jump to the NFL.

Hehe.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:25 PM   #630
duckman
Pro Starter

The Redskins signed this player:

CB Chijioke Onyenegecha, Oklahoma

Greatest name in professional football today.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:34 PM   #631
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2
New England Signings

QB Corey Bramlet, Wyoming
S Keon Jackson, Toledo
OT Randy Hand, Florida
S Jarvis Herring, Florida
CB Vernell Brown, Florida
WR Matt Shelton, Notre Dame
LB Corey Mays, Notre Dame
LB Freddie Roach, Alabama

Anyone have a word on any of these guys. Interesting that there are 5 Florida guys including the draftees: Chad Jackson and Jeremy Mincey.

Bramlet single handedly lost 5 games for this season, due to fumbles or INTs in the red zone. I have no idea how he got signed, other than maybe they never saw any of his game footage or somehow swapped his footage with that of his brother, Casey, who was drafted by the Bengals in the 7th round a bunch of a years back and now is the clipboard carrier for the Redskins.

Maybe he's just there for a week to make coffee for Tom Brady. Beyond that, I have no idea what they're thinking.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:36 PM   #632
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Maybe Vick will play in the AFL or CFL and see if he can establish himself a little bit.

This would be a lot smarter, it worked for the kid in New Orleans that got drafted last year.

I wonder if LenDale White will flame out in Tennessee. Bet he wishes he'd stayed in school, the way his stock fell.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:48 PM   #633
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
This would be a lot smarter, it worked for the kid in New Orleans that got drafted last year.

I wonder if LenDale White will flame out in Tennessee. Bet he wishes he'd stayed in school, the way his stock fell.

I could be wrong, but I still have a feeling that White will end up being a real good NFL player. In five or ten years, I can envision us being shown clips of White waiting it out and how everyone passed on him. I keep thinking about the Rose Bowl and still believe he will be productive.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:49 PM   #634
Franklinnoble
Banned

Washington DB Bobby Godinez, San Jose State
TE Dustin Dunning, Vanderbilt (tryout)
RB Joe Rubin, Portland State
DE Vince Feula, BYU
CB Chijioke Onyenegecha, Oklahoma
CB Chris Hawkins, Marshall
WR Derrick Fenner, Maryland
DT Manaia Brown, Utah
QB Matt Bohnet, Eastern Michigan
QB Joel Klatt, Colorado (tryout)
TE Buck Ortega, Miami
RB Cornell Brockington, UConn
LB Spencer Havner, UCLA
LB Kellen Pruitt, Syracuse

Nothing too exciting here... I don't recognize any of those names.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:22 AM   #635
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Washington
QB Matt Bohnet, Eastern Michigan

Nothing too exciting here... I don't recognize any of those names.

Seriously? Matt was invited to a camp and signed as an UFA? I could tell you stories if not for, you know, FIRPA.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:39 AM   #636
Franklinnoble
Banned

FIRPA?
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 01:20 AM   #637
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
I could be wrong, but I still have a feeling that White will end up being a real good NFL player. In five or ten years, I can envision us being shown clips of White waiting it out and how everyone passed on him. I keep thinking about the Rose Bowl and still believe he will be productive.

I'm with you. I think he will too and that all the pre-draft trashing is a lot of what they did to a few players like Warren Sapp and others, who turned out to be good NFL players.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:31 PM   #638
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
seriously?

I was a little off...the Dolphins are bringing him in for a tryout...but no contract unless he impresses.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2430107
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:12 PM   #639
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
FIRPA?

It's FERPA.

http://www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html
Quote:
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children's education records. These rights transfer to the student when he or she reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level. Students to whom the rights have transferred are "eligible students."
Old 05-02-2006, 03:48 PM   #640
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
FIRPA?

Guides on Himalayan mountaineering expeditions.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:56 PM   #641
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I thought those were sherpas?
Old 05-02-2006, 05:08 PM   #642
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
I thought those were sherpas?

FIRPAs are female sherpas.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:44 PM   #643
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
I was a little off...the Dolphins are bringing him in for a tryout...but no contract unless he impresses.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2430107

Great scoop on that! I impressed my Dolphin fan co-worker by telling him about it this morning well before it was announced.

I did cite my Virginia Tech alum source who was "close to the situation."
Old 05-03-2007, 04:24 PM   #644
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Eagles ended up with Avent as their WR, and Baskett signed with Minny. I still think he will eventually end up as a very good pro. He's one of the better college recievers I can remember watching. For the Lobos, whose qbs weren't very good and kept getting hurt, he was really the only credible reciever. Most plays the qb just watched him the whole way, never even looking at another player. It was really quite remarkable.

I'm not sure why he didn't get drafted.
Good prediction on Baskett. He got some PT last year for the Eagles and might be a starting WR this year.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote