Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-13-2006, 06:49 PM   #601
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

More thoughts about the demo:

It's very limited. You can only play the 1st day of the draft week. Hardly anything of note happens during that day. The best part of that portion of the demo is that I can see the Texan's scouting view of any player in the league. You can't do any of the actual draft in this demo

You can also play a 1 minute quarter game. I played that. It is the Steelers vs the Seahawks in an exhibition game. In my 1 minute quarter game, I told Ben to throw it short. He was 4-7 for 49 yards with a TD and no interceptions. So far, good news. However, Matt Hasselback threw TWO interceptions in a game with 1 minute quarters I'm hoping the interceptions can be toned down with a patch or something.

Other than that, the gameplay was awesome in that brief game. I loved one play where Ben shook off a hit, scrambled, and then threw it just before crossing the line of scrimmage for a 17 yard gain to Ward. Plenty of scrambling from Ben, and it really felt like I was watching a version of the Steelers offense. Also, inside running worked nicely on a few plays and we pulled off a sweep well!
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:49 PM   #602
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff88
Is there a way to fast-sim to our next pick during the draft?

EDIT: Found it, it's ]

The game is pretty tough, on the first play they gain 15 yards on a pass and on the second play they score a touchdown on a long play-action pass. Note that I'm no strategist and I don't know that much about football though, so I might have chosen shitty plays.

Safety Blitz #1!
Old 06-13-2006, 06:50 PM   #603
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguscl
Those with the demo, can the demo/game be played in a windowed mode? I'm at work and would like to mess around with it on the sly...

It seems like it as a set resolution. I can't figure out how to change the resolution. It doesn't quite fill my screen.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:51 PM   #604
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Also, inside running worked nicely on a few plays and we pulled off a sweep well!

Ahhh yes, the sweep. Or, as I like to call it in Madden 2006, the instant lose-yardage-on-the-run play.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:53 PM   #605
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano
Heybrad, same for me. I think it's the damn DirectX. We gotta download the last one.

Yeah, I already had the latest DirectX version. In the demo notes, they mention that you must have the latest version of DirectX.

The camera angle is very intersting in the game. I think I like it, but I'll be looking forward to the actual game when I can change the angle. The pacing seems off. I could routinely snap the ball with 25 seconds or more left if I didn't give special instructions for the play. I'm going to play another 1 minute quarter game and focus more on when the CPU has the Seahawks snap it.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:58 PM   #606
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Yeah, I already had the latest DirectX version. In the demo notes, they mention that you must have the latest version of DirectX.

The camera angle is very intersting in the game. I think I like it, but I'll be looking forward to the actual game when I can change the angle. The pacing seems off. I could routinely snap the ball with 25 seconds or more left if I didn't give special instructions for the play. I'm going to play another 1 minute quarter game and focus more on when the CPU has the Seahawks snap it.

You can already change the camera angle in video options when you press escape during a game.

I am rather disappointed in the draft, it seems the Texans are dead set on choosing AJ Hawk with the #1 pick in this game unless you make them do otherwise. Not a completely terrible pick, but rather lopsided considering their needs.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:06 PM   #607
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff88
Is there a way to fast-sim to our next pick during the draft?

EDIT: Found it, it's ]

The game is pretty tough, on the first play they gain 15 yards on a pass and on the second play they score a touchdown on a long play-action pass. Note that I'm no strategist and I don't know that much about football though, so I might have chosen shitty plays.

What's your framerate?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:08 PM   #608
jbmagic
Pro Starter

I hope game comes with accerlation clock.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:16 PM   #609
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution
You can already change the camera angle in video options when you press escape during a game.

I am rather disappointed in the draft, it seems the Texans are dead set on choosing AJ Hawk with the #1 pick in this game unless you make them do otherwise. Not a completely terrible pick, but rather lopsided considering their needs.

You were able to proceed to the draft?
Old 06-13-2006, 07:17 PM   #610
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

Played another 1 minute quarter. No interceptions! However, both QB's were slightly under 50% as I was focused on telling Ben to throw deep.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:26 PM   #611
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Sweet! I just found out that if I hit yes when it asks if I want to sim to the next period when I start the demo, I can see the draft. The Kiper presentation is very cool. Going to post my draft results from the 1st round in a bit..
Old 06-13-2006, 07:31 PM   #612
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Anyone else notice this on the beginning screen?

Quote:
'This demo is intended for promotional purposes only, and may not be sold, rented or reproduced by any party. Any unarthorized use of this demo is prohibited by applicable law'

Not sure I've ever saw that notice on any demo before, but maybe it's normal... between the way the demo 'installation' (there is none) is setup, that notice, and the complete failure to mention there is even a demo on the EA site, or any other site for that matter.. it seems strange.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:37 PM   #613
Anguscl
n00b

After the draft has anyone been able to find a draft log screen?
Anguscl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:47 PM   #614
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

The draft seemed alright, but only day on so couldn't tell much. Took AJ Hawk, Justice in the second and then another LB in the third. I messed around with the Texans depth chart a bit before hand too.

The game was fun, if obviously veryl limited by 1 min quarters. No interceptions in it. The Seahwaks were getting a lot of pressure early, so I chastised the OL and it seemed to work. Practice with the Cowboys was the best bit though in the demo. I just liked how it all seemed to work. I ran an HB toss against a vanilla 4-3 defence a couple of times with Julius Jones not getting much success as he kept getting hit before making the turn, so I told him to use some of his moves and agility. The next rep he spun past the first tackler and juked the second for a nice 12 yard gain or so. Then I ran some passes against a prevent defence but Bledsoe wasn't getting it done. I told him to use his arm strength and to focus down the field, next rep he made a 40 yard bomb to Terry Glenn down the middle.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:49 PM   #615
Coop
High School JV

Quote:
Anyone else notice this on the beginning screen?

Not sure I've ever saw that notice on any demo before, but maybe it's normal... between the way the demo 'installation' (there is none) is setup, that notice, and the complete failure to mention there is even a demo on the EA site, or any other site for that matter.. it seems strange.

that's been in every demo that i played..is anybody getting "d3dx9_27.dll" not found?
Old 06-13-2006, 07:50 PM   #616
Anguscl
n00b

During the draft has anyone attempted to trade away the first pick, and what kind of deals have you been able to get?
Old 06-13-2006, 07:50 PM   #617
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Coop, dowload the latest DIRECTX, it worked for me.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:53 PM   #618
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
After the draft has anyone been able to find a draft log screen?
I couldn't. It also seemed like the draft was lacking quite a few eligible players -- I don't know if that was a demo issue or a license issue. I imagine NFLPA gets drafted players to sign licenses for their names before they sign NFL contracts for just such an occassion, so I don't know if those players are left out of just the demo, are left out of the game or have been renamed to something I missed.

Also, does it appear to anyone else that the color coding on the draft screen does not work in the demo? All the players the Texans didn't scout are blue (for unscouted, that's correct) but everyone else is red (poor) regardless of how high they are rated.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:00 PM   #619
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
But we now have a reason why. It looks like some programmer from The Ohio State University was in charge of developing the rosters, because Hawk is rated like the second coming of Dick Butkus and Lawrence Taylor all rolled into one. It's not like they are picking some chump -- statistically to the AI, Hawk looks like a no-brainer because his ratings are so goddamn much higher than Leinart, Bush and Young.

That said, I think it's no surprise that a cursory examination of the draft suggests that while the game does a somewhat well in weighting positions, it's not perfect. At the end of three rounds of the draft, the best available players by ratings are guys like centers and offensive guards. But the fact that a guy like Hawk goes No. 1 everytime suggest that the weights applied to each position may not be what we hoped they would be.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:12 PM   #620
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

You aren't kidding. My DC was pushing hard for Hawk. I took Leinart instead since my owner wants us to get a QB to replace Carr.

I love the feel of the live clock although that 45 seconds does give you much time to make a trade if you want someone when the CPU is picking.

Here were the draft results from my draft (note that it may include spoilers in that I list ratings alongside the players as according to my scouts):

1. Texans - Leinart (66-82)
2. Saints - Mario Williams (74-88)
3. Titans - A.J. Hawk (76-85)
4. Jets - Vernon Davis (79-91)
5. Packers take Chris Gogong (who is rated 55-93 by my scouts with a huge upside.)
6. 49ers - Bunkley who is rated 88-99 and seems like much less of a risk.
7. Raiders - FS J. Allen who is rated 73-87 by my scouts.
8. Bills - Reggie Bush (Guess they can use him with McGahee like the Saints will IRL) who is rated 72-87 by my scouts.
9. Lions - Michael Huff (73-86 - As I watch these ratings, it is clear that for whatever reason Gocong has among the highest potential in the game, but does have a low current rating.)
10. Arizona - TE Pope (72-86.)
11. Rams - DE Kiwanuka (59-92 - another guy with great potential but low current ability)
12. Browns - DE T. Hali (66-99)
13. Ravens - CB J. Joseph (missed his rating)
14. Eagles - WTF!?! K. Clemens QB from Oregon (who is rated 60-85 with THP 88-98) Why a QB in the 1st round with other big needs.
15. Falcons - Chad Jackson (67-83)
16. Dolphins - Jay Cutler (62-80) Good needs picks the last 2 picks.
17. Vikings - Santonio Holmes (70-90 according to my scouts)
18. Cowboys - RE M. Lawson (68-99)
19. Chargers - DE S. McClover (55-99)
The top 5 according to Mel have remained on the board for a while: D'Brick, Vince Young, Chad Greenway, K. Whimbley, and Ngata)

20. Chiefs - D'Brick (71-85 which is suprisingly low to me.)
21. Patriots - Ngata (76-90)
22. Redskins - Chad Greenway (73-83)
23. Buccaneers - DE M. Anderson (62-84)
24. Bengals - D'Angelo Williams - (62-82)
25. Giants - Not Vince! The run on DE's continues. DE. D. Tapp (59-93)
26. Bears - CB A. Cromartie (60-88) Vince has been the top guy on Mel's board for at least the last 5 picks. Winston Justice and Ernie Sims are up there with him.

27. Panthers - CB J. Williams (62-85)
28. Jaguars - L. Maroney (52-88)
29. Broncos - CB K. Jennings (66-83)
30. Colts - G P. McQuistan (53-92)
31 Seahawks - Vince Young (63-83) Mel had him as the best available for the last 10 picks at least.

32. Steelers - ROLB B. Carpentar (67-89)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-13-2006 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:13 PM   #621
Anguscl
n00b

http://www.easports.com/nflheadcoach...?id=downloader

Game will be available for digital download...
Old 06-13-2006, 08:20 PM   #622
Buccaneer
Head Coach

You know, I only glanced at this thread a couple of time to see what all the fuss was about but in seeing the demo being played out, I now understand how this could potentially be huge - if it works well together and hold up in a career. Haven't we all dreamed of shouting at the spreadsheet numbers to make something real happen?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:21 PM   #623
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Correction, those numbers are apparently the consensus numbers. I just looked at my scouts notes on Vince Young who we have scouted well:

Overall: 55-76.
Speed: 86-91.
Awareness: 46-60 (ouch)
Accleration (not listing every attribute) 89-95
Agility: 89-95
Throwing Power: 88-97
Short Accuracy: 71-85
Med Accuracy: 65-75
Long Accuracy: 60-75
Throw on Run: 92-98
Play Action: 60-70
Play Recognition: 10-24

I'm not sure why he is so low overall, except maybe my scouts place a high emphasis on awareness.

Anyway, I don't think the draft is going to bother me too much as most of the guys who are taken surprisingly early have been programmed with high potential ratings.

I'm more worried about if there will be too many interceptions, but am still highly looking forward to the game next week.

The demo is now up on operation sports too.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:22 PM   #624
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
The Seahwaks were getting a lot of pressure early, so I chastised the OL and it seemed to work.

Something about this statement fascinates me. That''s like a wet dream, isn't it?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:23 PM   #625
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
During the draft has anyone attempted to trade away the first pick, and what kind of deals have you been able to get?

I tried to trade it to the Eagles for T.O., Michael Lewis and their 14th pick. They turned me down (which isn't bad since T.O's personality conflict isn't programmed in and he is very highly rated.)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-13-2006 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:42 PM   #626
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I offered the Saints the No. 1 for their No. 1, No. 2 and whoever their No. 1 QB was and was told I need to come back with a real offer. That gives me the impression that trading might be more reasonably difficult that I would expect from this game -- which I consider a good thing.

On the draft -- I don't know if there is a way around this, but when I didn't make a decision on my No. 1 draft pick before my timer expired, the game selected Hawk for me because that's who my scout wanted. I don't know if there is a way to change that or you just need to make sure you pick who you want if you and your scout disagree.

There is a lot the demo doesn't show you. For example, it suggests that every player has a general potential rating scale, but that scale is narrowed by scouting players before the draft. Scouting also seems required to give you a current overall rating for a player.

Gameplay is a bit overwhelming at first. If you start to talk to your team, you miss what is happening on the field. There is also a certain "Beat the Clock" element to the game that is maddening at first, but I know will get much easier with experience. You essentially only have so much time to perform certain actions before you lose the chance to perform those actions.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:50 PM   #627
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Something about this statement fascinates me. That''s like a wet dream, isn't it?
In a very disturbing way, yes it is.

There does seem to be a correlation between your actions and what happens -- that's a good thing. It's also very "The Sims" like in places in that when you choose to motivate your players, players can react positively or negatively with a plus or a minus coming out of their head. Of course, when you're yelling at 11 guys and you're trying to keep track of who reacted negatively so you can coddle them some, it gets a bit confusing.

My impressions from the demo is that there is a lot to like. I think this may really be the first sports role playing game done well. It won't be what everyone wants, but I think it's got some potential. This demo just scratches the surface, though, so you can't tell if under the engine things all work correctly. And I think the "spreadsheet" fans will have some issues -- at first glance, I don't think the record keeping and history is going to be as deep as some of us prefer.

But I think this has tremendous dynasty potential.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:58 PM   #628
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I worry that I don't know enough about football to be successful at this game.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:59 PM   #629
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49
I worry that I don't know enough about football to be successful at this game.

""
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:59 PM   #630
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
http://www.easports.com/nflheadcoach...?id=downloader

Game will be available for digital download...

WOW! I guess I need to go cancel my EB order.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:04 PM   #631
AgustusM
College Prospect

OUCH!

Download Time
EA downloader file size: 6MB. Estimated download time: 1 minute. Game File Size: 1.8 GB. Estimated download time varies by your connection speed.

* T1: 4 hours
* Cable: 4 hours
* DSL: 6 hours

Good thing I upgraded to business DSL pro at 4M - but even at that I am looking at close to 2 hours.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:05 PM   #632
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm going to keep my pre-order just to have a hard copy so I can play on as many computers as I would like.

One other thing that I really liked: The substitution screen. You can sub guys in for any formation. You can put whoever you want on any special teams that you want. Want to play your starters on kickoff team, you can. You can also make sure it is the bottom of your roster if you prefer. Also, during the game you have to manage fatigue carefully, and I think putting different guys in some formations might help with that.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:07 PM   #633
FBPro
College Starter

I may just give my son the "hard copy" and d/l the other one for myself.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:15 PM   #634
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Coach.ini file.

This is the default. I turned up all the graphics settings, put it in full screen mode and 1600 x 1200.

Save the file. Launch the game.

// *********** NFL Head Coach INI configuration file ***********
//
// This file is loaded on program initialization, and
// automatically re-generated when the program closes.
//
// Usage notes:
//
// The allowable range of values for each setting is
// specified in brackets. Values outside of the allowable
// range will result in undefined behavior.
//
// Values for string settings should be enclosed in quotes.
// All strings should be less than the maximum string length
// that is specified in the setting brackets.
//
// If an error is encountered while reading a setting value,
// that setting value will be ignored.
//
// If this file is deleted, it will be re-generated when the
// program closes with the setting values currently stored in
// game's database (not the default settings).
//
// To restore to the default settings, set Restore Default
// to Yes. All other settings will be ignored if Restore
// Default is set to Yes.
//

// Option Group:
Restore Default [Yes/No] = No

// Option Group: In-Game Mouse Settings
Default Distance [0-99] = 40
Invert Mouse [Yes/No] = No
Pitch Clamp Angle [0-90] = 90
Rotate Sensitivity [0-99] = 50
Zoom Sensitivity [0-99] = 50

// Option Group: System Settings
Front-End Rate Limited [Yes/No] = No
Hardware Shaders [On/Off] = Off
Helmet Mapping [On/Off] = On
In-game Effects [On/Off] = Off
Player Accessories [On/Off] = On
TRUFORM [On/Off] = Off
Video Bit Depth [16/32] = 32
Video Refresh Frequency [60-120] = 0
Video Resolution Horizontal [320-1600] = 1024
Video Resolution Vertical [200-1200] = 768
Video Texture Compression [On/Off] = Off
Video Texture Depth [0/16/32] = 0
Video Texture Resolution [Low/Medium/High] = High
Video Vertical Sync [On/Off] = Off
Windowed Mode [Yes/No] = Yes

// Option Group: Detail Settings
Field Detail [Low/Medium/High/Highest] = Highest
Interface Detail [Low/High] = High
Lighting [Off/Low/Medium/High] = High
Player Detail [Lowest/Low/Medium/High/Highest] = Highest
Player Shadows [Off/Circle/Low/Medium/High] = High
Referee Detail [Off/Low/Medium/High] = High
Referee Shadows [Off/Circle/High] = High
Sky Detail [Low/High] = High
Stadium Detail [Low/Medium/High] = High
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:27 PM   #635
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

I'm enjoying it so far. I really like the fast pace to it, from both the on the field part and also the draft. You really feel the pressure as you try to get things done before time runs out.

The only only problem I see so far is that the interface is clunky as all hell. It will definitely take some getting used to.

Oh, I also like how the players will break from your strategy too if there is an opportunity there. I told Big Ben to go for short stuff, which he did the first few passes, but then nailed Lee Mays in stride deep on a play-action for an 60+ yard td.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:38 PM   #636
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop
that's been in every demo that i played..is anybody getting "d3dx9_27.dll" not found?

yep.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:43 PM   #637
spleen1015
Coordinator

Does anyone know what the online portion of the game is going to be all about?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:45 PM   #638
jbmagic
Pro Starter

WOW

So far this game is great.

This game is way better than madden coach mode so far.

How do I sim to my picks in the draft? or I have to wait for the cpu to pick?

I found the camera angle. Click on ESC button and goto video setting.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:47 PM   #639
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
WOW

So far this game is great.

This game is way better than madden coach mode so far.

How do I sim to my picks in the draft? or I have to wait for the cpu to pick?

I found the camera angle. Click on ESC button and goto video setting.

You can hit the left bracket button to sim to your pick in the draft.

As far as the online mode, my understanding is that it is only an exhibition game in which you coach your team against your online opponent's team. It's H2H coaching, but only for 1 exhibition game.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:50 PM   #640
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Apparently, it's a somewhat common problem. Someone on OS posted this link which reportedly corrects that problem:

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dl...shtml?d3dx9_27
Old 06-13-2006, 09:51 PM   #641
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
It's a DirectX file. Download the latest DirectX from Microsoft and you're good to go.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:58 PM   #642
TroyF
Coordinator

Here is how my draft went:

1) Bush (screw the owner)
2) Leinhart (QB) - Saints
3) Williams (DE) - Titans
4) Vernon Davis - Jets
5) Gocong (DE) - Packers
6) Bunkley (DT) - Niners
7) Jared Allen (FS) - Raiders
8) AJ Hawk (LB) - Bills
9) Greenway (LB) - Lions
10) Pope (TE) - Cardinals
11) Kiwanuka (DE) - Rams
12) Hali (DE) - Browns
13) Joseph (DB) - Ravens
14) Huff (DB) - Eagles
15) Jackson (WR) - Falcons
16) Clemens (QB) - Dolphins (WTF?!?!)
17) Ngata (DT) - Vikings
18) Holmes (WR) - Cowboys
19) McClover (DE) - Chargers
20) Cutler (QB) - Chiefs
21) Tapp (DE) - Patriots
22) Cromartie (DB) - Redskins
23) Anderson (DE) - Bucs
24) Williams (RB) - Bengals
25) Young (QB) - Giants
26) Ferguson (T) - Bears
27) Williams (DB) - Panthers
28) White (RB) - Jags
29) Jennings (CB) - Broncos (ugh)
30) Moss (WR) - Colts
31) Carpenter (LB) - Seahawks
32) Watson (DT) - Steelers

OK, just pretending we don't really know these names, a lot doesn't add up. The Giants need Young like OOTP needs more statistics. The Broncos drafted 3 young CB's last year and have Champ Bailey. The Dolphins brought in two QB's in the offseason and drafted a third. The Colts lose their starting RB and draft another WR.

Strange moves all the way around. Coaching the game was a lot of fun though. Loved that aspect.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:03 PM   #643
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
Here is how my draft went:

1) Bush (screw the owner)
2) Leinhart (QB) - Saints
3) Williams (DE) - Titans
4) Vernon Davis - Jets
5) Gocong (DE) - Packers
6) Bunkley (DT) - Niners
7) Jared Allen (FS) - Raiders
8) AJ Hawk (LB) - Bills
9) Greenway (LB) - Lions
10) Pope (TE) - Cardinals
11) Kiwanuka (DE) - Rams
12) Hali (DE) - Browns
13) Joseph (DB) - Ravens
14) Huff (DB) - Eagles
15) Jackson (WR) - Falcons
16) Clemens (QB) - Dolphins (WTF?!?!)
17) Ngata (DT) - Vikings
18) Holmes (WR) - Cowboys
19) McClover (DE) - Chargers
20) Cutler (QB) - Chiefs
21) Tapp (DE) - Patriots
22) Cromartie (DB) - Redskins
23) Anderson (DE) - Bucs
24) Williams (RB) - Bengals
25) Young (QB) - Giants
26) Ferguson (T) - Bears
27) Williams (DB) - Panthers
28) White (RB) - Jags
29) Jennings (CB) - Broncos (ugh)
30) Moss (WR) - Colts
31) Carpenter (LB) - Seahawks
32) Watson (DT) - Steelers

OK, just pretending we don't really know these names, a lot doesn't add up. The Giants need Young like OOTP needs more statistics. The Broncos drafted 3 young CB's last year and have Champ Bailey. The Dolphins brought in two QB's in the offseason and drafted a third. The Colts lose their starting RB and draft another WR.

Strange moves all the way around. Coaching the game was a lot of fun though. Loved that aspect.

Lots of similarities in our draft. There are people hypothezing on other boards that this was a leaked demo since it is not up on EA's site, and that it is based on an earlier build. Shrug. We'll find out in a week if the actual game has better draft logic. I'm disappointed like you are with the demo draft logic. However, other than too many interceptions, I like all of the other aspects of the game that I could see.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:08 PM   #644
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Looks like everyone and their mom is downloading the demo because I can't get to it.

Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Old 06-13-2006, 10:09 PM   #645
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua
Looks like everyone and their mom is downloading the demo because I can't get to it.

The links have spread like wildfire across various sites. You might try Operation Sport's link if you haven't already.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:10 PM   #646
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Yeah, right as I typed that, finally I got it to start DL'ing.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:13 PM   #647
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Lots of similarities in our draft. There are people hypothezing on other boards that this was a leaked demo since it is not up on EA's site, and that it is based on an earlier build. Shrug. We'll find out in a week if the actual game has better draft logic. I'm disappointed like you are with the demo draft logic. However, other than too many interceptions, I like all of the other aspects of the game that I could see.

Yeah, Big Ben threw two INT's in my demo and had a third called back. I like the graphical play calling, I thought it looked real and worked well.

The other things looked pretty good to. Only issue right now is the draft logic and like you said, we'll see.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:30 PM   #648
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Retail version won't have sliders, no difficult level and can't adjust quarters time?

quarters will be 5 mins?

Saw this at operation forum.

I hope not true.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:32 PM   #649
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
Retail version won't have sliders, no difficult level and can't adjust quarters time?

quarters will be 5 mins?

Saw this at operation forum.

I hope not true.

It has not been confirmed that you can't adjust quarter lengths. There has been several threads speculating that might be the case because all of the various "coach's diaries" have 5 minute quarters. However, just like our demo is locked at 1 minute, it's possible the preview versions were locked at 5 minutes.

However, no sliders and no difficulty levels has been confirmed in interviews.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:37 PM   #650
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
Some of that I don't think matters. I've never seen an AI -- nor do I necessarily expect and AI to do this -- analyze that they drafted a player at a position last year and don't need to draft again. If the AI thinks they need a third cornerback rated at 28 or higher and all their cornerbacks are 27 or lower, the AI perceives it as a need and will go for it. It's not perfect, but ...

The Dolphins example doesn't bother me, but I think it points to what could be a drawback or a positive, depending on your position. The more you scout a player, the more you seem to find not to like. As I look through the players were poorly scouted, scouted and well scouted, it jumps out at you that your scout significantly narrows his views the more you scout a player, but the high end of the talent range is inflated for poorly scouted players. On my draft board, Clemens was rated above Young because we had more information on Young and his overall rating is like 56, but Clemens potential rating is much higher. The less you scout a player, it seems more likely the AI is to overrate that player.

The good thing to me is that it mirrors real life -- I think any scout will tell you that the more you see of a player the more you find not to like more often than not. The drawback is that if the AI perceives poorly scouted players as the high end of their projects rather than at the midpoint or maybe even below midpoint, then they can value a player they didn't scout at all higher than someone they scouted significantly who is pretty good. That's the impression I'm getting from the demo.

Which obviously is just a demo. Doesn't mean this is what the release will look like.