Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-21-2005, 01:12 PM   #601
Swaggs
Coordinator

Brazelton not offered by San Diego, so they essentially gave Burroughs away.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:18 PM   #602
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
The non-tender list is out, so several new free agents hit the streets today.

AMERICAN LEAGUE
BALTIMORE (3): Kurt Ainsworth, RHP; Eric Byrnes, OF; Eddy Rodriguez, RHP.

BOSTON (2): Chad Bradford, RHP; Wade Miller, RHP.

CHICAGO (4): Jon Adkins, RHP; Felix Diaz, RHP; Willie Harris, INF; Timo Perez, OF.

CLEVELAND (1): Jose Diaz, RHP.

KANSAS CITY (2): Shawn Camp, RHP; Ken Harvey, INF.

MINNESOTA (1): Grant Balfour, RHP.

NEW YORK (1): Wayne Franklin, LHP.

OAKLAND (1): Hiram Bocachica, OF.

SEATTLE (3): Cha-Seung Baek, RHP; Ryan Franklin, RHP; Jamal Strong, OF.

TAMPA BAY (4): Joe Borowski, RHP; Lance Carter, RHP; Trever Miller, LHP; Michael Rose, C.

TEXAS (1): Nicholas Regilio, RHP.

NATIONAL LEAGUE ATLANTA (2): Jim Brower, RHP; Wes Obermueller, RHP.

CINCINNATI (2): Ramon Ortiz, RHP; Joe Valentine, RHP.

COLORADO (2): Jose Acevedo, RHP; Ryan Spilborghs, OF.

FLORIDA (1): Joe Dillon, INF.

LOS ANGELES (3): Michael Edwards, OF; Brian Myrow, INF; Jason Phillips, C.

MILWAUKEE (2): Jeff Bennett, RHP; Dan Kolb, RHP.

NEW YORK (2): Wayne Lydon, OF; Tyler Yates, RHP.

PHILADELPHIA (1): Endy Chavez, OF.

PITTSBURGH (1): Josh Fogg, RHP.

ST. LOUIS (4): Bo Hart, INF; Mike Lincoln, RHP; Mike Mahoney, C; Scott Seabol, INF.

SAN DIEGO (3): Dewon Brazelton, RHP; Craig Breslow, LHP; Miguel Olivo, C.

WASHINGTON (4): Alex Escobar, OF; Junior Spivey, 2B; Rick Short, INF; T.J. Tucker, RHP.

Bradford, Miller, Balfour, Phillips, Fogg and Matheny are all decent players who could be low risk/high reward guys from that list.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:20 PM   #603
Swaggs
Coordinator

Kolb sure fell fast, too.

Wasn't everyone after Eric Byres last July?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:39 PM   #604
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
All in all, he's worth $5 million per year. It's just up to the Cubs to use him properly. That means sitting him against left-handers and keeping him in the bottom half of the batting order

You gotta love baseball. He's worth $5 mil per year, but he sucks against left handed pitchers, so in essence he can have a day off when a lefty is in the rotation. Great stuff, being a basball player is hard work.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 12-21-2005 at 01:40 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:43 PM   #605
Cuckoo
College Starter

Not quite sure how I feel about the Jones signing. He's a pretty good defender with a bit of speed, and I suppose he's at least no worse than Jeromy Burnitz was last year, but he seems to be an older Corey Patterson - strikes out way too much and occasionally pops a homerun.

I hope the Cubs are right that he just had a down year and the potential is there. I'm not quite as confident, but I'll be curious to see.

Many are reporting this means the end to Patterson's stay in Chicago, but the Cubs offered him arbitration. And if nobody wanted him before, do they want him more now?

A couple of interesting decisions by Chicago this offseason. They're going to be more athletic and have more speed for sure, but I'm not sure if they'll be better overall or not.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:52 PM   #606
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
Not quite sure how I feel about the Jones signing. He's a pretty good defender with a bit of speed, and I suppose he's at least no worse than Jeromy Burnitz was last year, but he seems to be an older Corey Patterson - strikes out way too much and occasionally pops a homerun.
He doesn't strike out nearly as often as Patterson and walks more. He's weaker against lefties but stronger against righties, and he's proven his level of ability over a number of years while Patterson's lack of strike zone judgement appears to be causing him to regress. Jones has hit as well or better on the road while Patterson has hit much better at home.

Jones is a good signing.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:24 PM   #607
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24
Bradford, Miller, Balfour, Phillips, Fogg and Matheny are all decent players who could be low risk/high reward guys from that list.

Agreed.

Grant balfour is a guy nobody has heard of, who has posted pretty impressive underlying indicator stats when he has been healthy. An incentive-laden deal with someone wouldn't surprise me... I would not be shocked at all to see him get snapped up by one of the avowed number-crunching teams out there. He has potential to be a producitve pitcher, substantially above replacement value.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:32 PM   #608
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
He doesn't strike out nearly as often as Patterson and walks more. He's weaker against lefties but stronger against righties, and he's proven his level of ability over a number of years while Patterson's lack of strike zone judgement appears to be causing him to regress. Jones has hit as well or better on the road while Patterson has hit much better at home.

Jones is a good signing.

Actually a check of the numbers - don't have them handy - shows Jones was actually a bit worse that Burnitz was last year.

What burns me is the 3-year contract which effectively freezes Felix Pie - the Cubs #1 positional prospect - out of the lineup for the next few years.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:35 PM   #609
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla
Actually a check of the numbers - don't have them handy - shows Jones was actually a bit worse that Burnitz was last year.

What burns me is the 3-year contract which effectively freezes Felix Pie - the Cubs #1 positional prospect - out of the lineup for the next few years.
I don't think so. If he can come back from the ankle injury and keep progressing, I wouldn't bet against them moving Murton to make way. I would. I like Murton, but I don't think he did enough last year to show that he should be annointed the LF job. I would have liked them to go after someone else to play LF.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:07 PM   #610
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Cardinals sign Sidney Ponson...
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:19 PM   #611
Cuckoo
College Starter

The Cubs have steadfastly refused to trade Felix Pie. I understand they aren't always the best organization as far as giving youngsters a chance, but I would be positively shocked if Felix Pie doesn't get his go with the Cubs in the next couple of years. Don't let the signing of Jones or the trading for Pierre convince you otherwise. Patterson is no longer in the Cubs' future and Murton has had only a half a season (hitting essentially only against lefties).

As for the stats comparisons on Jones... While it is true that he hit a bit worse than Burnitz last year, he did have fewer at-bats. I think he's fairly even with Burnitz with a bit better upside because of his age and supposed potential.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:28 PM   #612
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Keep in mind, Jacque Jones also will cost the Cubs their 2nd round pick. I'm glad for the Royals that the Cubs got him. He's not worth that money to them or the pick.

As for Damon- wow, way to piss away slugger money on a slappy who's going to be 39 at the end of the contract. If I were a Sox fan, I woudln't be too pissed at Damon- geez, that's insane money for him at that age.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:29 PM   #613
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Keep in mind, Jacque Jones also will cost the Cubs their 2nd round pick. I'm glad for the Royals that the Cubs got him. He's not worth that money to them or the pick.

As for Damon- wow, way to piss away slugger money on a slappy who's going to be 39 at the end of the contract. If I were a Sox fan, I woudln't be too pissed at Damon- geez, that's insane money for him at that age.

SI

Actually, I think it might be 3rd or 4th - they signed Bobby Howry and Scott Eyre as well, and one of them may be rated higher than Jones.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:41 PM   #614
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice

SI

???
Damon is 32. He'll be 36 at the end of the contract. Technically, he'll only be 35, since his birthday is in November - but he certainly won't be 39.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:44 PM   #615
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
???
Damon is 32. He'll be 36 at the end of the contract. Technically, he'll only be 35, since his birthday is in November - but he certainly won't be 39.
Wow- I must have been reading a bad source (and should have known better, stupid blog). They typo'd that he was 35 now, not at the end of the contract. Oops.

SI

Old 12-21-2005, 03:58 PM   #616
Ksyrup

Well, if Boras had had his way, Damon would have been 39 at the end of the 7 year contract he was demanding...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-21-2005, 03:59 PM   #617
Ksyrup

Dola.

A few days ago, I thought Damon was a few years older than he actually is, too.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:28 PM   #618
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

from radioandrecords.com

Houston Astros Shake Up Broadcast Team

Out is former Astros' catcher Alan Ashby, who was told by team management on Tuesday that he will not be returning for the 2006 season. New to the Astros broadcast booth next year are two current minor-league broadcasters: Brett Dolan from the Tucson Sidewinders and Dave Raymond from the Brockton, MA Rox.

The duo will work alongside veteran Astros play-by-play voice Milo Hamilton, 78, who will scale back his duties next season to calling home games only. Dolan and Raymond will alternate on play-by-play and analyst duties on Astros road games and alternate as analysts, alongside Hamilton, for home games. Clear Channel News/Talker KTRH/Houston is the Astros' radio flagship.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:11 PM   #619
oykib
College Starter

I don't really like the Damon signing. It's for too long and for too much money. I'd have rather tried to get Patterson from the Cubs for a bag of balls or waited until mid-season to see who was out there.

Honestly, Jeter is a better leadoff hitter. Not that Damon isn't good-- but I'm afraid his physical issues will preclude him from being a defensive asset in two years.

I'd really like to pick up Wade Miller. You can never have enough pitching.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:19 PM   #620
Bad-example
College Starter

Giants acquired outfielder Steve Finley from the Angels for third baseman Edgardo Alfonzo.
It'd be nice if this meant that Darin Erstad would return to center field for the Angels, but Chone Figgins is probably going to be the choice. Finley will take over as the Giants' fourth outfielder, and there's a good chance that he'll get at least 300 at-bats, though he doesn't figure to do much with them. The Giants will probably make Pedro Feliz their everyday third baseman. They would have preferred Bill Mueller, and we don't suppose a Joe Randa signing can be completely ruled out. Randa turned 36 last week, so he's in the right age bracket for GM Brian Sabean.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:24 PM   #621
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
Agreed.

Grant balfour is a guy nobody has heard of, who has posted pretty impressive underlying indicator stats when he has been healthy. An incentive-laden deal with someone wouldn't surprise me... I would not be shocked at all to see him get snapped up by one of the avowed number-crunching teams out there. He has potential to be a producitve pitcher, substantially above replacement value.

FWIW, Balfour won't be ready to come back from Tommy John Surgery until June/July.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:46 PM   #622
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
FWIW, Balfour won't be ready to come back from Tommy John Surgery until June/July.

I was not aware Balfour had Tommy John. If he comes back from the surgery as many players do, he'll likely gain speed and be an even better pitcher than before. He'd be a good addition to any bullpen and, as posted above, I think he's still under the radar.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:17 AM   #623
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example
Giants acquired outfielder Steve Finley from the Angels for third baseman Edgardo Alfonzo.
It'd be nice if this meant that Darin Erstad would return to center field for the Angels, but Chone Figgins is probably going to be the choice. Finley will take over as the Giants' fourth outfielder, and there's a good chance that he'll get at least 300 at-bats, though he doesn't figure to do much with them. The Giants will probably make Pedro Feliz their everyday third baseman. They would have preferred Bill Mueller, and we don't suppose a Joe Randa signing can be completely ruled out. Randa turned 36 last week, so he's in the right age bracket for GM Brian Sabean.

What do Giants fans think of getting Finley? The year before last year he looked great, but last year he really stunk it up. I'm just curious.

Damon to the Yanks is pretty ridiculous to me. We'll see how that turns out, but I just hope he does what he did with the A's and suck.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:22 AM   #624
Brillig
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywisesb
What do Giants fans think of getting Finley? The year before last year he looked great, but last year he really stunk it up. I'm just curious.

Damon to the Yanks is pretty ridiculous to me. We'll see how that turns out, but I just hope he does what he did with the A's and suck.

I believe what we think is... Thank God we got rid of that useless money pit that was Edgardo Alfonzo. Also, four geriatric outfielders has got to be better than three, right? Right?
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 01:42 PM   #625
Cuckoo
College Starter

Well, it appears I may be completely wrong on the Felix Pie thing. Rumors are now that the Cubs might be willing to trade him in a deal with the Orioles for Tejada. The story on FoxSports also says the Cubs will include Prior.

I really like Tejada and would absolutely love to have him, but with Wood's health problems and Maddox's age, I think moving Prior would not be a good move for the Cubs.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:47 PM   #626
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Brett Dolan from the Tucson Sidewinders
My brain read that as Bill Doran the first time.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:33 PM   #627
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:

The deal looks like a push to me. Alphonzo is in the last year of his contract (money drive) and is younger, but it has been 3 years since his last good season. Finley is older but only one year removed from hitting over 30 homers.

The Giants needed a backup centerfielder. They filled a need and got rid of a total failure without adding salary. A low risk move that could help. I think SF did fine here.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 10:17 AM   #628
stevew
Hall Of Famer

ROFL

The Kansas City Royals actually outbid teams to sign Reggie Sanders, the outfielder told The Kansas City Star.

He told the paper Thursday that he had agreed to a two-year contract worth about $10 million, that could be signed Friday pending results of a physical.

"The Royals stepped up to the plate and did what they had to do," Sanders said. "Other teams were close. But the Royals went a little further."

The 38-year-old Sanders could provide much-needed offense to go along with what appears to be an improved Kansas City defense. He hit .271 with 21 home runs and 54 RBI in 295 at-bats last season for St. Louis, missing nearly two months after breaking his right leg in an outfield collision with Jim Edmonds.

Sanders had 10 RBI in the Cardinals' three-game sweep of San Diego in the first round of the playoffs, hitting a grand slam and driving in six runs in the opener.

"They had a game plan," Sanders told the Star. "Kansas City wined and dined me at the beginning. We sat down for a good three hours talking about where they're going and what they're trying to do. I needed to be the last piece of the puzzle. If I sign early, I'm left out to dry, no matter how much money I'm making. Now I see they got [Mark Grudzielanek], they got all these guys."

Kansas City lacked production from its corner outfielders last season, when the Royals finished a major league-worst 56-106.

"I think he would be a pretty good addition to our club," Royals GM Allard Baird said Thursday. "But until everything is set, I just don't want to speculate."

Sanders broke in with Cincinnati in 1991 and since 1998 has played for Cincinnati, San Diego, Atlanta, Arizona, San Francisco, Pittsburgh and the Cardinals. A career .267 hitter with 292 home runs and 923 RBI, he is projected as a right fielder by the Royals.

It has already been a busy offseason for Baird, who has signed free agent infielders Grudzielanek and Doug Mientkiewicz, pitcher Scott Elarton and backup catcher Paul Bako.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 10:20 AM   #629
SFL Cat
College Starter

A $10 million journeyman....go figure.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 10:22 AM   #630
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
We sat down for a good three hours talking about where they're going and what they're trying to do. I needed to be the last piece of the puzzle.
"Hello, Mr. Sanders. Let me start out by talking about where we're going as an organization and what we're trying to do. We're going to come in last in our division, and we're just trying to keep our heads above water with a dinky payroll. Any questions?"

Reggie Sanders: "Can I order the lobster?"
Old 12-23-2005, 10:23 AM   #631
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Last piece of the puzzle. LOL.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:02 PM   #632
Johnny93g
College Starter

Jays look like they have acquired Troy Glaus

Sportsnet.ca -- The Toronto Blue Jays have reached a tentative deal with the Arizona Diamondbacks, sending relief pitcher Miguel Batista and second baseman Orlando Hudson to Arizona for third baseman Troy Glaus and a prospect, Sportsnet Baseball Insider Ken Rosenthal has confirmed.

The deal rests on a physical set for Monday in Toronto.

The principles of the deal were agreed upon early Friday, and confirmation came after Glaus waived his no-trade clause to Toronto.

It is expected Glaus will become Toronto's everyday third baseman, with Corey Koskie assuming DH duties and Shea Hillenbrand likely being moved out of Toronto to alleviate the logjam at the position.

Corey Koskie, 32, is guaranteed $11 million over the next two seasons. Eric Hinske, 28, is to receive $9.95 million. Hillenbrand, 30, stands to earn an estimated $5 million in salary arbitration. Hillenbrand is the most attractive of the three on the trade market, having averaged 18 homers and 86 RBIs the past three seasons.

Despite his offensive numbers, Glaus's contract made him expendable in Arizona. He is reportedly owed $32 million US over the next three seasons. Batista is due $4.75 million next season while Hudson is expected to receive around $2 million in salary arbitration.

Hudson and Batista had to be traded with the numbers game. Troy Glaus is a perfect fit. I hope this trade goes through
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML

Last edited by Johnny93g : 12-23-2005 at 10:02 PM.
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:02 PM   #633
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
Jays look like they have acquired Troy Glaus

Sportsnet.ca -- The Toronto Blue Jays have reached a tentative deal with the Arizona Diamondbacks, sending relief pitcher Miguel Batista and second baseman Orlando Hudson to Arizona for third baseman Troy Glaus and a prospect, Sportsnet Baseball Insider Ken Rosenthal has confirmed.

The deal rests on a physical set for Monday in Toronto.

The principles of the deal were agreed upon early Friday, and confirmation came after Glaus waived his no-trade clause to Toronto.

It is expected Glaus will become Toronto's everyday third baseman, with Corey Koskie assuming DH duties and Shea Hillenbrand likely being moved out of Toronto to alleviate the logjam at the position.

Corey Koskie, 32, is guaranteed $11 million over the next two seasons. Eric Hinske, 28, is to receive $9.95 million. Hillenbrand, 30, stands to earn an estimated $5 million in salary arbitration. Hillenbrand is the most attractive of the three on the trade market, having averaged 18 homers and 86 RBIs the past three seasons.

Despite his offensive numbers, Glaus's contract made him expendable in Arizona. He is reportedly owed $32 million US over the next three seasons. Batista is due $4.75 million next season while Hudson is expected to receive around $2 million in salary arbitration.

Hudson and Batista had to be traded with the numbers game. Troy Glaus is a perfect fit. I hope this trade goes through

It looks pretty good to me. Glaus should do well in Toronto and Arizona gets a good closer and a good second basemen in the deal. I've always liked Orlando Hudson.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:48 PM   #634
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
It looks pretty good to me. Glaus should do well in Toronto and Arizona gets a good closer and a good second basemen in the deal. I've always liked Orlando Hudson.

On the bluejayway.ca forums, some of them are whining because they want to keep Hudson. I mean, if we couldn't move him then fine. But if there is demand and you can get a guy that - all things being equal of Arizona wasn't in a financial shambles - they'd like to otherwise keep, why would you risk letting a division rival get him (since that's most likely what would happen).

I think it's a good deal, since Batista had to go anyway and Hudson was on the block for a while. I don't want to deal Hillenbrand, which is likely to happen - but...again, if he has some value then it seems to make sense to sell high rather than lose whatever value the guy might have.

I hope we can get rid of Hinske for some cookies and an apple pie, don't really want him around at all.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:16 PM   #635
oykib
College Starter

I don't get the fascination with Hillenbrand. He's Alfonso Soriano with half the power and none of the speed.

But you've got a great sig there, DC.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:31 PM   #636
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib
I don't get the fascination with Hillenbrand. He's Alfonso Soriano with half the power and none of the speed.

I thought Hillenbrand had a better AVG and way better OBP? Am I wrong?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 10:05 AM   #637
oykib
College Starter

They're the same age. Hillenbrand is a career .288/.327/.448 with 83 homers and 15 SBs.

Soriano is .280/.320/.500 with 162 career homers and 169 SBs.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:32 PM   #638
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Rangers sign Kevin Millwood to a 5 year, $60 million deal. Fifth year is voidable by the Rangers based on how many innings Millwood pitches in the earlier years.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 10:38 AM   #639
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah, I've never understood it either. I really think it's because one of the "smart" teams (Boston) was pimping him so hard to the media prior to trading him, we were inundated with how great he was going to be despite him being merely average or slightly above.

SI

Old 12-27-2005, 11:04 AM   #640
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/shar..._Arrested.html

PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. — Jeff Reardon, one of the top relief pitchers in history, blamed medication for depression after his arrest for a jewelry store robbery.

Police said Tuesday that the 50-year-old Reardon, retired since 1994 and sixth in career saves, walked into Hamilton Jewelers at the Gardens Mall on Monday and handed an employee a note saying he had a gun and the store was being robbed.

Reardon, who starred with the Montreal Expos, Minnesota Twins and Boston Red Sox, fled the store with an undisclosed amount of cash. Police found him at a nearby restaurant, recovered the stolen money and charged him with armed robbery.

Lt. David O'Neill said Reardon did not have a gun and offered no resistance when he was handcuffed.

"He said it was the medication that made him do it and that he was sorry," O'Neill said.
He said Reardon had a 20-year-old son who died of a drug overdose in February 2004, which "has been very difficult for him and his family," and has been on medication for depression. Reardon, who is married and has two other children, also underwent a heart angioplasty last week and has been taking medication for that.

"He asked me to apologize to his fans and friends," Beers said. "This bizarre incident is completely uncharacteristic of Jeff Reardon."

He said Reardon, who made more than $11.5 million in his career, according to baseball-reference.com, was not having financial problems.
The four-time All-Star was 73-77 with 367 saves and a 3.16 ERA in 16 seasons with the New York Mets, Montreal, Minnesota, Boston, the Atlanta Braves, Cincinnati Reds and New York Yankees.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-27-2005 at 11:04 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 11:31 AM   #641
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

WTF? I met Reardon a few years ago on a Baseball cruise - he was a pretty nice guy and seemed to be having a nice time. He was beside himself when I whipped out an old powder blue Expos jersey for him to sign. I played blackjack with him a few times too and we both gave the dealer hell since he was messing with "The Terminator". Sad story...
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 01:02 PM   #642
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

After 2 weeks of no baseball news, I'm glad this thread was around to catch me up . I must say I LOVE the whining of Red Sox fans (on other forums) that Damon was a traitor! LOL! The guy has always been a mercenary, ask KC or Oakland about that!
Old 01-01-2006, 11:41 AM   #643
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Interestingly Manny Ramirez made a recruiting call to Damon while he was making his decision:

"Manny said, 'You should go to New York.' "

The Boston Globe picked this up today, cited a New York Post report.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 05:08 PM   #644
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
ISTR Neyer having a great comment about Hillenbrand's prospects compared to someone else a couple years back.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:02 AM   #645
JeeberD
General Manager

Astros signed Preston Wilson. Joy...

Time to turn our attention to Tejada.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:05 AM   #646
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Thats a prtetty good deal for Wilson. 1/4 and an option to pick up 3/20something. Much better than the Pirates signing Burnitz for 2/12 anyways.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:06 PM   #647
JeeberD
General Manager

Sounds like the 'Stros are seriously pursuing Tejada. God, I would LOVE to get him inside MMP...

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice...countdown.html

The Astros have had serious discussions with the Orioles about shortstop Miguel Tejada.

There are three serious roadblocks:

1. The Orioles want three big leaguers in return. So pick three primetime players - say, Brad Lidge, Jason Lane and Willy Taveras - and that's going to be the cost. I actually have heard Baltimore would take three pitchers - say, Lidge, Chad Qualls and a starter. Would you do that?

2. Because Tejada is in the middle of a multi-year contract, he can demand a trade at the end of his first season with the Astros. Before this deal is done, Tejada probably would want a contract extension. And he's already making big bucks.

3. The Orioles have about six general managers. Their decision-making process is screwed up. Having said that, Tejada is a guy worth pursuing. Maybe they'll get lucky. The Orioles have done a lot of stupid things over the years. Maybe Tim Purpura will catch them on a good day.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 02:28 PM   #648
MikeVic
Head Coach

Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but the Jays managed to move Koskie. I didn't think anyone would want him, so this has to be good news for the Jays.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2283336
Old 01-08-2006, 02:38 PM   #649
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah, apparently we had to pay 60% of Koskie's contract. Some fans on the bluejayway boards are upset, but I'd rather him dealt and playing somewhere out of our league than being on the bench or something.

He knew he was gonna be dealt and so, it's not the end of the world. Now if we can just get some value for Hinske and then deal him too, we'll be all set.

I hope the Jays sign Molina as a catcher.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:42 PM   #650
MikeVic
Head Coach

Getting Molina would be nice. I think Hinske will be even harder to deal...