Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-06-2005, 10:10 PM   #601
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Is it sad that there is a good possibility this thread may end up with more posts than the last hockey thread?

No. Now, if it were to beat the Teachers having sex with students thread...

But hockey? Nah.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:50 AM   #602
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I actually thought Fantasia was good most weeks last year, not that I particularly enjoy her style. Yeah, she's got a weird voice and doesn't exactly look like Vonzell, but that's not always a bad thing.

That said, last night was horrendous. She was like a cross between Tina Turner and Sam Kennison. If I want to hear that much screaming with my music, I'll listen to something with riffs, thank you.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:26 AM   #603
KWhit
Coordinator

Fantasia is just awful. And possibly the ugliest person on the face of the earth, especially when she sings.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 01:35 PM   #604
tategter
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
Fantasia is just awful. And possibly the ugliest person on the face of the earth, especially when she sings.

If you tie a bow on her head she could pass as a black Ms Pacman. Fantasia was the best of a very poor pack of contestants last year.
tategter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 01:44 PM   #605
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tategter
If you tie a bow on her head she could pass as a black Ms Pacman. Fantasia was the best of a very poor pack of contestants last year.

Sorry, Fantasia was no where near as good as Latoya (or even Jennifer).
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 01:46 PM   #606
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtolson
Sorry, Fantasia was no where near as good as Latoya (or even Jennifer).

Ugh. I hated Jennifer, but I agree on Latoya. Fantasia won because she was unique, and while I can appreciate that, I knew that I would never buy one of her albums.

Regardless of all of that, though, her performance last night was absolutely horrible.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:31 PM   #607
Daimyo
College Starter

Despite the lipservice the judges give to it being a singing competition, the best singers never actually win... (Tamyra, Latoya)
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:10 PM   #608
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

It wasn't me right? It was obvious that Fantasia has been hitting the Enormous Omelet Sandwich at BK?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:22 PM   #609
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
It wasn't me right? It was obvious that Fantasia has been hitting the Enormous Omelet Sandwich at BK?

I wasn't sure whether it was her, or the clothes. Either way, she did not look flattering. The ass was huge, but that might have always been there. It was her uper body that really make me think she'd gotten thick.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-08-2005, 01:30 PM   #610
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
I wasn't sure whether it was her, or the clothes. Either way, she did not look flattering. The ass was huge, but that might have always been there. It was her uper body that really make me think she'd gotten thick.

so what...she's wasn't all that attractive to begin with.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:43 PM   #611
TLK
Pro Starter

The theme tonight is.... Songs from the year you were born. Should be better than last week.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 04:59 PM   #612
Joe
Pro Starter

anything would be better than last week.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:14 PM   #613
Swaggs
Coordinator

Perfect song by Bo.

Maybe the first AI single I would consider getting.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:17 PM   #614
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
anything would be better than last week.
Songs from the Bronze Ages?
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:38 PM   #615
TLK
Pro Starter

Vonzell is smokin' hot...

and Simon has pretty much wrote Nadia's ticket home..
Old 04-12-2005, 07:46 PM   #616
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLionKing
Vonzell is smokin' hot...

and Simon has pretty much wrote Nadia's ticket home..

Agreed and agreed.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:47 PM   #617
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Perfect song by Bo.

Maybe the first AI single I would consider getting.

Really? I thought he sounded awful. That should have been a song he nailed, and I don't think he nailed it at all. Bad, bad, bad.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:52 PM   #618
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
Really? I thought he sounded awful. That should have been a song he nailed, and I don't think he nailed it at all. Bad, bad, bad.
I agree. When he said he was singing Skynyrd, I thought that he was gonna do really well, but it didn't happen. Or maybe I am just tone deaf because there are countless times that I think they sound horrible and the judges say the sound great.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:54 PM   #619
Joe
Pro Starter

i haven't liked this week too much. whats happening when i like anthony one of the best?
Old 04-12-2005, 07:58 PM   #620
Joe
Pro Starter

ok, constantine was damn good. but what was with the cameras? I was getting motion sickness for a while there.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:05 PM   #621
TLK
Pro Starter

I think Scott should be the one to go. He butchered the early part of his song, and didn't recover well enough to cover it. Having said that, I think Nadia will be shown the door....
Old 04-12-2005, 08:22 PM   #622
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLionKing
I think Scott should be the one to go. He butchered the early part of his song, and didn't recover well enough to cover it. Having said that, I think Nadia will be shown the door....
Agreed, though Scott finished fairly well he should have been gone last week. I think that Vonzell has clearly shown she belongs more than Nadia and may give Carrie a run for her $$.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:34 PM   #623
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

This is a harder week to judge than most because everyone's trying different types of songs, some much harder than others. Paula has clearly upped her dosage of whatever it is that makes her Paula. Usually, I can predict how the judges will react. Tonight, I had trouble.

I'll go ahead with the Solecismic Ratings anyway, since they're now published in 70 newspapers and magazines around the country. I'm expecting disagreement here.

1. Constantine. Bohemian Rhapsody is a very difficult song. It requires range and different pacing, basically it's an entire opera wrapped up in one bathroom song*. I thought his rendition was better than the original, and the original is a damn fine song. A month ago, I thought he was out. Now, I think he could be right there with Carrie at the end. He was apparently born in 1975. I thought the Idol age limit was 28, so this is a little confusing. Score of 99.

2. Carrie. Another incredibly difficult song. One of my favorite songs of all time. Pretty much anything Pat Benatar sings requires range. Benatar had a lot of formal training, and she liked to show off her voice. This was a terrible arrangement, and it was clear Carrie was trying to make it her own without really understanding what she was doing. Still, based on degree of difficulty, I won't dock her too much for missing a few notes and making some mistakes. Score of 83.

3. Scott. You know, uh dog, uh you're keeping it real, you're being yourself, you're beautiful man, you have it going on, dog. Sometimes Scott gets in a zone where he just sounds like a real singer. You can actually understand what he's singing. The first 10 seconds were bad, then he got right in that zone. It was by far his best performance of the competition. Score of 82.

4. Bo. Another bathroom song*. Freebird? People joked that he was going to choose Freebird when they announced the theme this week. He did sing it well. I think it's a very, very safe song, so I'm docking him a lot of points. Score of 80.

5. Vonzell. She missed a lot of notes, but she brought a lot of energy to the song, and hit some nice combinations. I think it was a step back from recent performances, but she deserves to stay a while. Score of 76.

6. Nadia. Another point docking for choosing a very easy song. I don't think it was the disaster the judges thought it was. Why they're trying to get rid of her is a mystery to me - she's good at many different things, and covers well for her lack of range and power. I think she has improved a lot since the finals began. Score of 75.

7. Anthony. It was dull, uninspired, and I think praised by the judges only because they want to get rid of Nadia and by Anthony standards, it was good. Anthony standards being pretty darned low. Score of 49.

8. Anwar. It started out okay, even decent. And then he stood up and started bouncing. You see, Anwar likes to bounce while he sings. But he gets a bit confused when he bounces, and he misses notes. Lots of them. The entire second half of that song was a complete and total mess. Score of 35.

Summary: Nadia may go because the judges as much as said she deserves to go. I'd rather see Anthony or Anwar go.

* - bathroom song - an unusually long song that the DJ can throw on when he needs to take a long bathroom break.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:52 PM   #624
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I definitely agree that Constantine had the best performance of the night. Matter of fact, I would say that it could've been the best performance of the season so far. I absolutely loved it. In the past 3 weeks, Constantine has been the #1 person in the competition.

I was a HUGE Bo fan in the beginning, but in the past 3 weeks I'd say he somehow switched places with Constantine. The good thing about Bo is that he does that 70's rock thing REALLY well. The bad thing about Bo is that it's all he does well. And as the weekly themes have caused the singers to show their diversity, Bo has shown this to be one of his weaknesses.

I thought Vonzell, Carrie and Anwar all sang pretty well this week. Carrie was a bit too much of a clone job, didn't add enough of her personality into the song, but she did sing it well.

My weekly pick for leaving is once again Anthony. Who votes for this guy? Is there a target market for 80's elevator music, since that seems to be what he picks every week. I mean, if Air Supply was doing a tour and needed another singer I'm sure Anthony would do a decent job, but I just don't see how he is relevant today, and how he somehow gets enough votes to keep himself alive every week. The end of the road has to be near. It has to be.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:11 PM   #625
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

My rank from tonight's show goes like this:

Vonzell
Constantine
--------
Scott
Carrie
Anwar
Anthony
--------
Bo
--------

--------
Nadia

Last edited by RPI-Fan : 04-12-2005 at 09:12 PM.
RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:48 PM   #626
Daimyo
College Starter

Carrie looked really hot tonight with the straight hair.

When Scott finds his zone he's really awesome, it just seems his zone is very limited. The deeper parts of that song in the begining were terrible, but once he hit his flow I thought it was better than anyone else tonight. Overall I'd have to vote for Constanine #1 tonight... I'm amazed how much he's improved in the last few weeks.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 10:00 PM   #627
Cuckoo
College Starter

I'll add another vote for Constantine was outstanding. Bottom three for me: Anwar, Scott, Anthony with Scott being the one to go. He was okay in that upper register but the beginning of the song and all that lower stuff was just brutal.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:29 PM   #628
Easy Mac

All I can say about Constantine is that he's picked the perfect songs the past few weeks. I think he has one of the weaker and more limited voices in the competition, but he's picked the perfect songs for it lately. As soon as I saw Bohemian Rhapsody, I knew it would be pretty damn good... he just has that Queen voice (not really the higher parts, but the rest of the song). I don't think its that he's gotten better, but he's picked songs better suited for him.

Overall, I thought it was another poor week for the rest of the field. They just sounded off through a lot of their songs. Bo didn't sing poorly, but he just was complete ass with the song. His voice just wasn't good enough for free bird... I know everyone and their dog sings it, but he just wasn't good enough. Its not an Edwin McCain kind of song, and unfortunately, thats the kind of singer Bo is. Carrie was pretty good, but she got a little too scratchy and pitchy in the song. She was looking pretty freakin cute though. Vonzell should have sounded good, but I just thought she missed a lot of notes. Anthony was horrible as usual... I guess it was better than 90% of his other stuff, but that all sucks anyway. Nadia was crap as usual. Anwar had another horrible week... singing poorly until the last note. Scott has a great voice, but he tries to do too many things it can't do. Its very smooth and natural, but too many times he goes high or low, and it just doesn't cut it.

My night:
Constantine
Carrie
Bo
Vonzell

Anwar
Nadia
Anthony
Scott (if only for the horrible beginning).

Overall:
Bo (I can't cast him aside yet, but one more poor week and I'll have no choice)
Carrie (same as above, but she's so damn cute)
Vonzell (she's been the most consistent, but nothing so outstanding that she's the top)
Constantine (if he keeps picking the right songs, I'll have no choice but put him 1)
Silence (Its better than the last 4)
Scott (sings well 80% of the time, but 100% of the time violence against women isn't cool)
Anwar (if only because Nadia annoys me)
Nadia (only because Anwar is nicer)
Anthony (Never thought he sounded remotely talented, he's too smug, and he'd annoying)
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:29 PM   #629
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Tonight:
Constantine
Vonzell
Anthony
Bo
Carrie
Anwar
Scott
Nadia

Overall:
Constantine
Carrie
Bo
Vonzell
Anthony
Nadia
Anwar
Scott

If any of Anwar, Nadia or Scott go, I will be happy. My hope is the old man and the sea (Anwar).
Old 04-12-2005, 11:35 PM   #630
Danny
Head Coach

Constantine was outstanding tonight. He suprised me. I think when he concentrates more on singing and less on mugging for the camera, he actually shows a lot of talent.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:41 PM   #631
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic

1. Constantine. Bohemian Rhapsody is a very difficult song. It requires range and different pacing, basically it's an entire opera wrapped up in one bathroom song*. I thought his rendition was better than the original, and the original is a damn fine song. A month ago, I thought he was out. Now, I think he could be right there with Carrie at the end. He was apparently born in 1975. I thought the Idol age limit was 28, so this is a little confusing. Score of 99.

Let me just say i dont watch the show, and everything i know about it is from this thread, but saying this version is better then the original is blasphemy.....If Constantine is better then Mr. Mercury, then why does he need a show like this to make a career......

Better then the original, NOT POSSIBLE!!!!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:44 PM   #632
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

I thought the age limit was 28 too, but two people did songs from 1975 (Bo and Constantine).

I really think it's gonna be a rocker or a country girl winning this thing. The final three will be Bo, Carrie, and Constantine.
ShaqFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:51 PM   #633
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I think they had to be 28 or younger when audtions started back in the latter part of the Summer of 2004. So, if people had a birthdate later in 1975 they could have still qualified.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 12:10 AM   #634
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I think they had to be 28 or younger when audtions started back in the latter part of the Summer of 2004. So, if people had a birthdate later in 1975 they could have still qualified.

That makes sense.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:11 AM   #635
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I hated Constantine for the first couple weeks of the finals, but I have to say I have been very impressed with his last two performances. I would say that, based solely on this weeks' show, Nadia would be the one who has to go: boring, uninspired. I was a little disappointed in Bo's performance, I am pulling for him but he needs a big show next week. I thought Vonzell did fairly well, I still think she has a shot at getting into the final. I thought Carrie's performance was better than the judges give her credit for, but I expect she'll slip back into country-type mode next week. Everybody else, meh. Mostly ordinary.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 06:49 AM   #636
Thomkal
Head Coach

Another blah week for me. At this point this group is probably ranked third overall in terms of who I really like (Season Two is first, then One, but better than last season's but its close).

1. Constantine-Again I hate picking him #1 based on his voice. Like Easy Mac says he's just picking the right songs for his voice and style right now. Knew it'd be a good choice when I saw the song he was going to sing.

2. Vonzell-I probably could have put three or four of them in here as they were all pretty much interchangeable at this point. Good song choice for her though, just a bit off.

3. Carrie-Hey she actually performed tonight instead of standing in one place looking like a deer being caught in the headlights! Love that song, but she sounded very harsh compared to her "country voice". Still looked awkward on stage, but I appreciate that she tried to stretch here.

4. Bo-Should have been a great performance like Constantine's as it seemed like a perfect song choice for him, but was weak at the beginning. A bit worried about him given his last two performances.

5. Nadia-Horrible song choice for her only because it was an unknown one. Thought she did a decent job with it though. But singing first + picking the only unfamiliar song of the night = her probably being voted out. Shame though she started out with so much potential.

6. Anthony-One of his better performances, but like others said, that doesn't mean it was good one. He's clearly being voted for by the same teenage girls that kept red-headed crooner John on for so long last season.

7. Scott-God he needs to stop singing those low notes. But have to give him credit for singing a Hall and Oates song with them in the audience. That took balls. Did do a lot better with it once he got outside the low notes.

8. Anwar-Picked another song by a female artist and did his usual butchering job of it. He seems like a nice guy, so don't like being so negative about him, but he just appears so old compared to the others when he sings. I'd love to see him get rid of those dreadlocks. Or maybe not.

Nadia's probably the one to go, but I sure wouldn't mind seeing any of the three below her going instead.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 06:53 AM   #637
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
Let me just say i dont watch the show, and everything i know about it is from this thread, but saying this version is better then the original is blasphemy.....If Constantine is better then Mr. Mercury, then why does he need a show like this to make a career......

Better then the original, NOT POSSIBLE!!!!

I agree. Jim took a hit of what Paula's been smoking. And I watched it, so I can confirm. He was very good, but we're talking about a weak singer doing a 2 and a half minute version of a classic rock opera song. Impossible for it to be better than the original.

I thought Bo did very poorly with a gimme song, a song that was so cliche for him I was shocked he did it. On the point of people singing songs from 1975, I get the loophole of them being 28 at the time of the auditions. But, Free Bird was originally recorded by Lynyrd Skynyrd in 1973, and released on their first real album, Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd. It was also included on the live album released in 1976, and it was again released as a single in that year, but that wasn't the original release. I mean, if that was the criteria, you could take a 60's song "released" again in the 80's by someone else and sing it. That one didn't pass the smell test for me.

I don't get the infatuation with Carrie. Yes, she's pretty (not hot, IMO), and has a nice voice, but she's a rich man's Jessica Sierra - better voice, prettier (in a good girl way, whereas Jessica looks like someone you could pick up in bar), with about 1/16th more stage presence. Even doing Pat Benatar, she still looked like she was going through the motions, showing something only when she was straining to shout/sing the tough parts. Meh.

I also didn't like Vonzell's performance - maybe it was the song, maybe it was her walking aaround that made her voice waver a bit, but she's another one that looks nice but seems shallow, performance-wise. Like a beauty pageant contestant signing a song for the talent part of the show. Does that make sense?

This is the part of the competition where I start to get bored - increasingly bad music, the same people week after week, when we know half of them should go now and be done with it. Although, the music selections this year seem better than the past couple of years at this point. However, we haven't even gotten to the Barry Manilow or Gloria Estefan weeks, yet. Lord help me.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:13 PM   #638
TRO
College Prospect

I personally prefer Carrie doing Heart and Benetar.

Last edited by TRO : 04-13-2005 at 08:16 PM.
TRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 08:37 PM   #639
Joe
Pro Starter

scott better be fucking going home.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:03 PM   #640
Ksyrup

Bo's problem is that he only does one thing, and it's catching up to him. That's not a bad thing in the real world, but in a 3 month competition, it's a weakness.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:08 PM   #641
TLK
Pro Starter

I still think Bo will outlast Anwar, Anthony and Scott.

The joke with Scott needs to end, he should of went this week. I like the guy, but it seems every week, part of his song is painful.... and somehow he continues on....
Old 04-13-2005, 09:10 PM   #642
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
scott better be fucking going home.

Argggghhhh!!! Will he EVER go away?!?!?

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:30 PM   #643
Joe
Pro Starter

man WTF. seriously. I thought he was gone for sure after that comment he made about the viewing audience.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:47 PM   #644
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

What did he say about the audience?

Nadia going was an OBVIOUS choice for me -- ever since the mohawk she has been disappointing.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:38 PM   #645
FBPro
College Starter

Carrie-only remaining contestant to have never been "in the bottom 3".
Old 04-13-2005, 10:45 PM   #646
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro
Carrie-only remaining contestant to have never been "in the bottom 3".

When was Constantine in? (Not doubting, just curious)
Old 04-13-2005, 11:54 PM   #647
FBPro
College Starter

One of the early weeks I believe.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:49 AM   #648
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

Well, Scott is from Ohio and you know how voting works there. He gets extra votes by default, but since Ohio is only small portion of the voting block, it's just enough to keep him alive.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:33 AM   #649
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqFu
Well, Scott is from Ohio and you know how voting works there. He gets extra votes by default, but since Ohio is only small portion of the voting block, it's just enough to keep him alive.

Don't fuck with Ohio .... most of us folks are just stuck here....
Old 04-14-2005, 04:54 AM   #650
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
What did he say about the audience?

Some crap about how he's already a winner because he's up there while millions of people that watch don't have the balls to do what he does.