Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-18-2005, 09:00 PM   #601
cmgdodgers
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I hope you're kidding. If not, I can't believe I spent $55 just to get the game a tad quicker and a CD. I at least thought the game would have been $40. Shoot.. next time I'll wait for the DD. I feel like an ass.

Todd

NHL Eastside Hockey Manager 2005 US
$29.99

SUBTOTAL US
$29.99
TAX US
$0.00

TOTAL CHARGED US
$29.99

Now I hope I don't end up feeling like an ass for downloading and paying for something that was put up in error. I am confident that SI won't let that happen though.

It is also possible that the price was an error as well.
cmgdodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 02:26 AM   #602
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Now I hope I don't end up feeling like an ass for downloading and paying for something that was put up in error. I am confident that SI won't let that happen though.
We'll do our best ... as usual
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 02:29 AM   #603
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
wow

glad i download only and didnt install it yet.

what happens if people already install it and pay for it?

If anyone has then basically don't panic we'll sort it out - worst that you should have to do is download a new file to install.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 02:44 AM   #604
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgdodgers
$29.99

SUBTOTAL US
$29.99
TAX US
$0.00

TOTAL CHARGED US
$29.99

dan wasson
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 06:22 AM   #605
SegRat
High School Varsity

From Mark Duffy

We did want to go live on Friday with the digital download, however due to a last minute hitch this was postponed

We are re-commencing on Monday morning and we hope to have it soon after

Those who downloaded a version that appeared on this site should note that you will not have to pay again and the game should function correctly but it's not the final version that will appear here

Should you have any issues, please email me *address in profile* and I'll happily work on your issues

This download has gone on much longer than we anticipated. We are working hard to ensure that it doesnt go on much more.

Thanks for your patience
Old 06-19-2005, 06:47 AM   #606
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgdodgers
$29.99

SUBTOTAL US
$29.99
TAX US
$0.00

TOTAL CHARGED US
$29.99

Patience is a virtue? ..or something like that? Shoot....

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 12:43 PM   #607
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

woot! so basically I can play the ass off this version just as a tester game and then re-DL on Monday. Excellent, since I stupidly offered an offer sheet to Roman Hamerlik which cost my Bruins 4 (!!) first-round picks and I'm still tanking the season.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 11:16 AM   #608
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Another day, still no DD...

Argh!
~rpi-fan
Old 06-20-2005, 12:28 PM   #609
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Any update? Is it live?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:08 PM   #610
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I won the 2009 Stanley Cup over the weekend. The Capitals beat the surprising Minnesota Wild 4-1. It was looking like it was going to be a re-match of the 2008 Cup Finals pitting Washington versus the dominant Vancouver Canucks. The Canucks blew through the first two rounds of the playoffs, sweeping both their opponents. But the Wild, fueled by young phenoms Sidney Crosby, Marion Gaborik, and Patrick O'Sullivan, upset the Canucks in the Western Conference Finals. It was stunning.

In the end, however, the Eastern Conference Champs and their own sensational young guns, Ovechkin and Kessel (among so many others), proved to be too much for the up-start Wild. Game 4 in Minnesota was the back-breaker. A triple overtime thriller that saw Swedish Import Magnus Khanberg snuff out Minnesota's last hope with a thrilling goal. (Khanberg also scored the game tying goal in the 3rd) Phil Kessel, who has scored 70 points in 60 career playoff games, won the Con Smythe.

We're about halfway through the 2009-2010 season and the Caps are showing no signs of slowing down. They are #1 in the East. Ovechkin and Kessel are just getting better and better and better... Stephen Weiss has been on fire. And goalie Henrik Lundqvist has been a rock in goal. We're talking Vezina-like quality.

The only drawback so far was a waiver draft miscalculation on GM H_B's part that forced the Caps to place recently acquired Austrian forward Oliver Setzinger into the draft pool. The 26 yr. old "rookie" was playing some amazing hockey in the pre-season. He had clearly made the team and looked to be top quality, quite a find. Unfortunately the dreaded Canucks stole him away during the waiver draft. None too pleased with this...

Things are looking good on the ice of our nation's capital.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:16 PM   #611
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Honolulu_Blue

do you feel this game is too easy or pretty challenging?

wow it didnt take you long to make the Caps win the Stanley Cup.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:39 PM   #612
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Honolulu_Blue

do you feel this game is too easy or pretty challenging?

wow it didnt take you long to make the Caps win the Stanley Cup.

I found it challenging enough. A few things to note:

1) The Capitals salary cap starts at around $40 million. I was working pretty well within that range. I signed one or two mid-level UFA's but nothing major. That cap ballooned to $60 million and is now at $80 million. This allowed me to go out and get some high-priced guys (Tkachuck (that one didn't work out), McCabe, Jeff O'Neil, Kyle McClaren, and Saku Koivu). Though I have a pretty solid team built through the draft and trades, I probably wouldn't have won the Cup without some of those guys.

2) While the Capitals start the game behind the 8-ball, they actually have some decent talent in the farm system. I think hockeysfuture.com ranks their prospects the best in the NHL (or if not, in the top 5). Alexander Semin is good, Oulette has promise, Ovechkin of course, Shaone Morrison, Eminger, Mike Green, Erik Fehr, among others. While most of these guys are no longer with the Caps in my game (save Eminger, Green, and Ovechkin), I was able to use those young players in trades to acquire other players/picks.

3) Trading is fun, but not easy. I have yet to feel that I scammed the AI in any trades. There are a few deals that I feel I really benefitted from, but no outright robberies. Trading my first round pick (#9, I think) and a third rounder to move up to take Kessel is one. Trading a first round pick for Weiss, another. In acquiring a lot of my current players (Hartnell, Williams, Zetterberg, Horton, Phaneuf, etc.) I had to dump prospects and picks. There is a gap at the moment in my system. That could come back to haunt me, though the core of my team (for the most part) is still under 26 yrs. old.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-20-2005, 03:23 PM   #613
jbmagic
Pro Starter

from Grant Appleyard-Sports Interactive today

"Hi all,

First up - you guessed it - it's not the best news just yet although it is getting better! I've been working today with our digi download partner but unfortunately timezones have worked against us and we won't be ready to go live this evening. Tomorrow is looking extremely
good for the Live day though! We're literally into the final stages now, please bear with us..

Cheers,
Grant"

http://community.sigames.com/eve/ubb...831#1562049831
Old 06-20-2005, 03:51 PM   #614
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
from Grant Appleyard-Sports Interactive today

"Hi all,

First up - you guessed it - it's not the best news just yet although it is getting better! I've been working today with our digi download partner but unfortunately timezones have worked against us and we won't be ready to go live this evening. Tomorrow is looking extremely
good for the Live day though! We're literally into the final stages now, please bear with us..

Cheers,
Grant"

http://community.sigames.com/eve/ubb...831#1562049831

Loverly!
Thanks very much.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:17 PM   #615
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

is there a way that i'm missing to set your team needs to "draft picks" ? Cuz I'm wanting to dump players and pickup draft picks as I'm in for a long retooling process and I'm down some draftpicks already, but I can't find that option. that was one of the things i loved about the freeware EHM, trading stars for draftpicks so i could reload later.

edit: right now as far as I can tell the options just go down to "prospects" but there's not one for draft picks :-(

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-20-2005 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:19 PM   #616
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Aw, jeez, I intended to wait until the next patch was out, but H_B has me ready to play again. I'm trying to resist.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:46 AM   #617
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
is there a way that i'm missing to set your team needs to "draft picks" ? Cuz I'm wanting to dump players and pickup draft picks as I'm in for a long retooling process and I'm down some draftpicks already, but I can't find that option. that was one of the things i loved about the freeware EHM, trading stars for draftpicks so i could reload later.

edit: right now as far as I can tell the options just go down to "prospects" but there's not one for draft picks :-(

The team trade mode that says the team is looking for prospects is the one that also means they are looking for draft picks as well.
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 05:39 AM   #618
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I found it challenging enough. A few things to note:
3) Trading is fun, but not easy. I have yet to feel that I scammed the AI in any trades. There are a few deals that I feel I really benefitted from, but no outright robberies. Trading my first round pick (#9, I think) and a third rounder to move up to take Kessel is one. Trading a first round pick for Weiss, another. In acquiring a lot of my current players (Hartnell, Williams, Zetterberg, Horton, Phaneuf, etc.) I had to dump prospects and picks. There is a gap at the moment in my system. That could come back to haunt me, though the core of my team (for the most part) is still under 26 yrs. old.

And this is the part that I'm fairly proud of....although I still keep seeing people complain about the trading. But then again, I could tweak and improve it for about a decade or put a real life GM into the box with the CD and people would still come back with comments about something not being like they would want it. But that's just the nature of the beast

JeffR probably had the best way of putting this phenomenon into words once:
"If SI put out a game where, when you opened the box, a supermodel magically appeared and had sex with you, a couple of hours after it came out you'd have complaints on the board that she wasn't that good in bed..."

But hey, such is life
Old 06-21-2005, 06:16 AM   #619
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz
And this is the part that I'm fairly proud of....although I still keep seeing people complain about the trading. But then again, I could tweak and improve it for about a decade or put a real life GM into the box with the CD and people would still come back with comments about something not being like they would want it. But that's just the nature of the beast

JeffR probably had the best way of putting this phenomenon into words once:
"If SI put out a game where, when you opened the box, a supermodel magically appeared and had sex with you, a couple of hours after it came out you'd have complaints on the board that she wasn't that good in bed..."

But hey, such is life

Jeff must have been reading the Billy Bob Thornton thread.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 06:52 AM   #620
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Jeff must have been reading the Billy Bob Thornton thread.

Well, considering this quote came from him about a year ago when we had just released the first game....then he must be either close to Billy Bob personally or have access to a time machine....

And considering the amount of stuff Jeff gets done with the research and all, I'd bet on the time machine theory....
Old 06-21-2005, 07:04 AM   #621
JeffR
High School JV

Uh-oh, busted. Better make a run for the DeLorean.

(And I still think your "complaints on the board about her hair color" change works better, Riz. Particularly after reading enough posts about our disrespect of Latvia and the lack of dismemberments in the fighting commentary. )
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:18 AM   #622
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR
Uh-oh, busted. Better make a run for the DeLorean.

(And I still think your "complaints on the board about her hair color" change works better, Riz. Particularly after reading enough posts about our disrespect of Latvia and the lack of dismemberments in the fighting commentary. )

Oh yeah, be warned...according to some "sources" there's not much different between the first NHL EHM and NHL EHM 2005 Well, everyone can have their own views on that right ?
Old 06-21-2005, 08:22 AM   #623
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Any news on the direct download? Looks like it's coming very soon!
Old 06-21-2005, 08:49 AM   #624
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I had a weird message in my game lat night. The US was playing Austria in the Olympics. I forget the exact text, but it was something along the lines of the US was very disappointing in its play, and the kicker:

They were lucky to come away with a 9-0 victory.

These kinds of messages are often a little disconnected from the score, but I've never seen one as off as this.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:48 AM   #625
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

http://community.sigames.com/eve/ubb...5/m/3292051931

http://d.trymedia.com/d/segaeu/999d_...2005_setup.exe

Last edited by MizzouRah : 06-21-2005 at 11:49 AM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:55 AM   #626
jbmagic
Pro Starter

awesome the digital download is available.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:09 PM   #627
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I was curious about something. In my first pre-season with the Capitals I had 3-4 games scheduled against what appeared to be Mexican teams. I think they were Mexican. Whatever they were, I destroyed them and never heard from or of them again.

What's up with that? Do all the NHL teams play these guys in year one?
Old 06-21-2005, 12:12 PM   #628
atatange1
High School JV

I was going to set up a my first game and am not sure what leagues to select. I will pick all the N.A. leagues but am not sure what EURO leagues to select. Which ones are the best? I was thinking of picking: Sweden, Russia, Germany, Denmark, and Norway.
atatange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 12:14 PM   #629
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atatange1
I was going to set up a my first game and am not sure what leagues to select. I will pick all the N.A. leagues but am not sure what EURO leagues to select. Which ones are the best? I was thinking of picking: Sweden, Russia, Germany, Denmark, and Norway.

I think the Czech league you definitely would want.

As for Norway, I don't think their domestic league is very impressive (there has actually only ever been one Norwegian NHL All-Star... Espen Knutsen). Denmark isn't a bad choice, but Finland would probably have more relavance to the NHL.

In fact, I started my game without choosing Finland (had NHL, AHL, ECHL, CHL, Sweden, Czech, Russia, Germany), and am going to start over because Finland is one I definitely want in there.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:15 PM   #630
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I was curious about something. In my first pre-season with the Capitals I had 3-4 games scheduled against what appeared to be Mexican teams. I think they were Mexican. Whatever they were, I destroyed them and never heard from or of them again.

What's up with that? Do all the NHL teams play these guys in year one?

Every once in a while, the code seems to pick up these Mexican teams to play an exhibition game against an NHL team simply because they are on the same continent so it is more convinient than going over to Europe. Naturally not much of this happens in real life so I'll try to tweak this in the next update.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:16 PM   #631
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

BTW, props for all who being patient, allowing me to be also for once and not ordering from GoGamer, thus saving myself probably more than $20? Thanks to all those others who brought up my will to avoid the GoGamer purchase!

~rpi-fan
Old 06-21-2005, 12:19 PM   #632
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Can't wait to get home...

Eastsiiiiiiiide!
Old 06-21-2005, 12:21 PM   #633
atatange1
High School JV

Thanks RPI-Fan
atatange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 12:25 PM   #634
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
BTW, props for all who being patient, allowing me to be also for once and not ordering from GoGamer, thus saving myself probably more than $20? Thanks to all those others who brought up my will to avoid the GoGamer purchase!

~rpi-fan

yep i am so happy i waited for the digital download.

Gogamer prices are too high for there games.

i so happy we get a free upgrade in sept when they release the game to North America.

and it looks like RIZ working on the next patch.

Riz, thanks so much for an excellent game
Old 06-21-2005, 12:27 PM   #635
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think the Czech league you definitely would want.

As for Norway, I don't think their domestic league is very impressive (there has actually only ever been one Norwegian NHL All-Star... Espen Knutsen). Denmark isn't a bad choice, but Finland would probably have more relavance to the NHL.

In fact, I started my game without choosing Finland (had NHL, AHL, ECHL, CHL, Sweden, Czech, Russia, Germany), and am going to start over because Finland is one I definitely want in there.

In case anyone's curious, upon starting over, I went with:

NHL, AHL, ECHL, AAL-3, AAL-4, CHL, Sweden, Czech, Russia, Finland, Germany.

~rpi-fan
Old 06-21-2005, 12:28 PM   #636
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Are there any good add-ons I should download and use?

~rpi-fan
Old 06-21-2005, 12:34 PM   #637
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Are there any good add-ons I should download and use?

~rpi-fan

this site is great.

http://www.sortitoutsi.net/

on the left side, there links for graphics and utilities
Old 06-21-2005, 12:36 PM   #638
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
this site is great.

http://www.sortitoutsi.net/

on the left side, there links for graphics and utilities

Which ones are you using, and/or do you recommend?
Old 06-21-2005, 12:40 PM   #639
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Which ones are you using, and/or do you recommend?

not sure yet.

but i think the facepacks and skins are pretty cool.
logos too.

Last edited by jbmagic : 06-21-2005 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:44 PM   #640
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

One little nitpick:

There should be restrictions on certain bonuses you can offer to players. I.E. you shouldn't be able to offer a 65 SHG bonus (or if you do it should actually get the player mad at you). It would also be nice if from 1-10 we could choose any digit rather than just 1, 5, or 10.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:49 PM   #641
jbmagic
Pro Starter

do we need to get the latest patch also for the digital download?

thanks
Old 06-21-2005, 12:58 PM   #642
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
do we need to get the latest patch also for the digital download?

thanks

Good question... the version I have says 2.0.1 TR

Is that right?
Old 06-21-2005, 01:04 PM   #643
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Good question... the version I have says 2.0.1 TR

Is that right?

still downloading mine.

but if it says 2.01 then i guess we dont need to get the patch.

i believe 2.01 is the latest version
Old 06-21-2005, 01:37 PM   #644
scooter
High School Varsity

2.0.1 is the latest version.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:50 PM   #645
riz
SI Games

The DD version is basically the patched version (ie. the first patch that brings it to version 2.0.1). So if you buy this online version, there is no need to download the current patch available for the boxed copy.

We are working on a second patch which will address issues raised in the community both code and data wise. There is no ETA for this one yet but the initial testing on it has already started with some things still being fixed.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:06 PM   #646
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev
I don't think GoGamer had too much control over the price, nor do I think they are making a huge profit on the game. I'm thankful they decided to carry the game and don't regret buying the game from them.

It also sounds like some Europeans are paying a lot more for the digital download.

This pricing issue has been explained in the thread on the SI forums by Duffy. Basically because the game is out in retail in Europe, we are not allowed to undercut or undermine retail in such territories with a cut price digital download deal. Which means that in some places in Europe (or currently pretty much anywhere in the NA) when you cannot find it in a local store, you'll need to either get it imported, get it specially ordered to the store, order it from an online store such as play.com or buy the digital download version. So there are different options available.

As much as I would like to have the game available in "a gamestore near you" for every single hockey fan, its just not going to happen with the kind of market we are talking about. But then again, this is why we need to make the DD versions available as well. And we are truly sorry that this time around it took longer than expected to sort the DD out and online.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:56 PM   #647
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz
Oh yeah, be warned...according to some "sources" there's not much different between the first NHL EHM and NHL EHM 2005 Well, everyone can have their own views on that right ?

FWIW riz, as someone who played the hell out of EHM freeware and then bought EHM:FE basically without even trying the demo, I offer the following summation.

EHM freeware - played the hell out of it, loved the hell out of it, simply awesome

EHM:FE - played it a bit, never really got "into" it. it didn't have that inexplicable "immersive" feeling. Probably played it a total of...24 hours total...tops.

EHM 2005 - been waiting on the digital DL since the demo...grabbed the one that wasn't supposta be up the other night, and have already logged 7+ hours of playing time. 2005 definately has that "immersive something" that EHM:FE lacked, whether it's substantially all that different or not. I don't know what it is, but it just...is better. I know that doesn't help, but maybe it makes you feel better.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:09 PM   #648
condors
College Starter

Riz-

for the people who bought it friday should we just redownload the game?
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 03:10 PM   #649
condors
College Starter

Riz-

condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 03:19 PM   #650
Logan
Head Coach

Riz-

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote