Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Will the lockout cost the NBA any games?
Yes 57 79.17%
No 11 15.28%
Trout 4 5.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2011, 12:47 AM   #601
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

We can bump this when the Hornets miss the playoffs or get throttled in the first round and revel in all that they got for CP3.

The Hornets are a dummy team. It's like setting up a fake team in your fantasy football league and you and your friend just pilfer them with shitty deals that make no sense. They just gave the Celtics David West for $6+ million of worthless Jermain O'neal. Can't be any more obvious than that.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:50 AM   #602
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
We can bump this when the Hornets miss the playoffs or get throttled in the first round and revel in all that they got for CP3.

The Hornets are a dummy team. It's like setting up a fake team in your fantasy football league and you and your friend just pilfer them with shitty deals that make no sense. They just gave the Celtics David West for $6+ million of worthless Jermain O'neal. Can't be any more obvious than that.

Umm, the trade got veto'd. Stern said No. They apparently cant trade Paul. So they will get nothing for him and like it I guess.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-10-2011 at 12:51 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #603
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

All the small owners caught on to what they were doing. Gilbert even said so in the letter. Stern works for the owners.

Last edited by RainMaker : 12-10-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:55 AM   #604
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

What would you have them do? You argue that they should stick it to him and get nothing? What in the wake of the veto do you propose they do since he won't be able to be dealt to a place where he won't sign a long term extension? Just let him for nothing to prove a point? Show these boys who is boss?
Old 12-10-2011, 12:55 AM   #605
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Fuck the NBA
Old 12-10-2011, 01:02 AM   #606
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
What would you have them do? You argue that they should stick it to him and get nothing? What in the wake of the veto do you propose they do since he won't be able to be dealt to a place where he won't sign a long term extension? Just let him for nothing to prove a point? Show these boys who is boss?
Find someone willing to give up a young piece or draft picks. The Clippers made an offer. Golden State made an offer. They all had young pieces and draft picks. How about rebuilding now instead of waiting another year with a mediocre team of high-priced aging role players?
Old 12-10-2011, 01:04 AM   #607
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Find someone willing to give up a young piece or draft picks. The Clippers made an offer. Golden State made an offer. They all had young pieces and draft picks. How about rebuilding now instead of waiting another year with a mediocre team of high-priced aging role players?

Again not role players but anyway....

Paul wasnt going to sign an extension with either of those teams so they backed out from what I understand.

Besides the point. Stern cant allow him to be traded to them teams now anyway. It would make the worst mistake Stern ever did ever worse yet. The only thing he can do is allow the Lakers trade to go through.

Stern's power trip takes NBA for wild ride - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

Kind of sounds like the trade will eventually go through. Stern just wants them to change a few things, basically to cover his ass.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-10-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:09 AM   #608
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Sorry, Odom and Scola are role players. And Martin is an above average SG. They are all on big contracts too.

Here is the point though. None of those players are in the long term plans. Scola and Odom are in their thirties (Odom doesn't even want to be there) and Martin is a 28 year old wing with not much left on his contract. None of those guys are going to be extended. What is New Orleans accomplishing here?
Old 12-10-2011, 01:11 AM   #609
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sorry, Odom and Scola are role players. And Martin is an above average SG. They are all on big contracts too.

Here is the point though. None of those players are in the long term plans. Scola and Odom are in their thirties (Odom doesn't even want to be there) and Martin is a 28 year old wing with not much left on his contract. None of those guys are going to be extended. What is New Orleans accomplishing here?

You would know as little about there future plans as I would unless you are good friends with Demps perhaps?

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-10-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:12 AM   #610
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Unless you've got a magic elixir that takes years off a player's body, those guys aren't going to be around long.

Here's the other thing. Why not demand Bynum if you're the Hornets? At least then you get yourself a young Center you can build around.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:13 AM   #611
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Unless you've got a magic elixir that takes years off a player's body, those guys aren't going to be around long.

Here's the other thing. Why not demand Bynum if you're the Hornets? At least then you get yourself a young Center you can build around.

Build around?

He on the court 50-60 games a year and his knees dont seem to be getting any better.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-10-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:16 AM   #612
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

At least he's not in his thirties. I'd rather have him than Lamar Odom.

Last edited by RainMaker : 12-10-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:23 AM   #613
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
At least he's not in his thirties. I'd rather have him than Lamar Odom.

That would probably depend on your team if thats the I'd you are talking about.

Id guess the Lakers would love to keep Odom on their contending team however getting rid of Gasol and Bynum was simply not possible because they would have no center depth.

Odom was the 6th man of the year last year and is an above average player at the 3 or the 4. He also can handle point guard duties and can shoot well enough to play the 2. He is one of my favorite players in the league for all of the different talents he has. The Lakers will hate not having him around.(if the trade goes through)

IMO Lamar is one of the most underrated players in the NBA. He has the talent to score 20+ ppg but has never had the shoot first mentality.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-10-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:38 AM   #614
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Getting rid of Bynum isn't a possibility because he is going to Orlando for Dwight. Just wait, there is a reason LA didn't mind giving up Gasol.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:45 AM   #615
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Getting rid of Bynum isn't a possibility because he is going to Orlando for Dwight. Just wait, there is a reason LA didn't mind giving up Gasol.

Is this the real reason that you are having a fit about the Lakers getting Paul?

I have heard this as well but Im still trying to figure out what the Lakers possibly have left to give for Howard. It would take Bynum and some other good pieces. Im not seeing much else on the Lakers to give.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:55 AM   #616
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

The trade exception they'll get in the Paul deal will allow the to take on one of Orlando's shitty contracts.

I'm mad the NBA setup a dummy team to filter good players to the markets they want. The Boston trade is inexcusable.

Last edited by RainMaker : 12-10-2011 at 01:57 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:41 AM   #617
rowech
Pro Starter

Not being a big NBA watcher, I've read about this whole deal quite a bit because I find it interesting that a commissioner would do something like this. I look at it and say -- is Chris Paul going to stay after these 66 games? The answer by all accounts is no. Is somebody going to buy the team without a star? Is somebody going to buy the team knowing the star is leaving? So why wouldn't I trade him to get something else? Especially if a first round draft pick is involved.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:56 AM   #618
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Um, would that be FREE AGENT David West? (edit: And from what I'm reading, O'Neal would then be sent on to the Lakers as part of a revised CP3 deal)

Last edited by SirFozzie : 12-10-2011 at 08:48 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #619
miami_fan
Coordinator

Dan Gilbert invited to play or coach for Washington Generals

Quote:
Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert offered the Washington Generals a promotional room-service fastball and they are swinging from the heels.

In a note to commissioner David Stern -- following the Chris Paul-to-Lakers trade -- Gilbert asked "when will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?"

Now, the team that has served for decades as the foil to the Harlem Globetrotters, has sent Gilbert a job offer.

Dear Mr. Gilbert,

...We would like to offer you the chance to play in, or coach our games against the Harlem Globetrotters at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 27 at Quicken Loans Arena. We have already created a personalized jersey, just for you, should you agree to join us.

To show you that we are serious, we'll offer a 25 percent discount on tickets to Cleveland-area fans to watch you and the Generals in action.

We know with your help, we have the chance to end our 40-year losing streak against the world-famous trick-shooters.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Cordially,

Red Klotz
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #620
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Well done Generals, well done.

Gilbert ought to be glad the Generals didn't decide to respond by challenging the Cavs. That would have been an embarrassing loss for Cleveland.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #621
molson
General Manager

I love how Red Klotz has fashioned 60-year career out of being the figurehead of the Washington Generals.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #622
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Um, would that be FREE AGENT David West? (edit: And from what I'm reading, O'Neal would then be sent on to the Lakers as part of a revised CP3 deal)
Exactly, which is why it doesn't make sense. Could have just taken a trade exception from the Celtics, why bother taking on a really bad contract of a player who doesn't want to play for you?
Old 12-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #623
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Couldn't. Celtics were over the cap, so the salary balance rule was needed.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #624
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

goddamn the celtics blog at sbnation is entertaining. have you ever dribbled a basketball? chances are you've been mentioned in a deal to get dwight howard.

Last edited by NorvTurnerOverdrive : 12-10-2011 at 02:52 PM.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #625
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

That sound you hear is David Stern grinding his teeth to dust.. who didn't see this coming when they put the amnesty clause in.. "I can wait to be claimed by a random team in the amnesty re-entry thing, have no control over where I play, and the same amount of money, or.. I can raise a big stink, tell folks that I will disrupt wherever I go if I get claimed in amnesty re-entry.. then I can CHOOSE where I go, and get paid more money!"

Billups wants freedom to choose team. Warns those who'd claim him: You'll regret it. "I'm tired of being the glue guy.A leader can be as disruptive as he can be productive..This is about me now."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu..._waiver_121011

Last edited by SirFozzie : 12-10-2011 at 03:14 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #626
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Billups is a whiny bitch.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #627
Grover
Pro Starter

It must be so difficult to play a sport and make millions of dollars, Mr. Billups.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #628
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

He could have taken a $1 buyout from the Knicks and chosen the team he wanted to play for. He signed the $15 million deal for this season, sorry that he doesn't get to play in his preferred destination. Can't have it both ways Chauncey.

Getting real sick of every player crying if they aren't playing in one of the big markets.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #629
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Can you imagine Peyton Manning saying tomorrow: "I demand to be traded to the (insert team here).."

Or Pierre Garcon: "I want to play with Rodgers.. trade me"

Adrian Peterson: "I want to take my talents elsewhere. Miami looks good."

This is what makes the NBA pathetic.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #630
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Or a rookie QB like Eli Manning or John Elway. What a disgrace! This never happens in the NFL

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-10-2011 at 03:26 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #631
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
That sound you hear is David Stern grinding his teeth to dust.. who didn't see this coming when they put the amnesty clause in.. "I can wait to be claimed by a random team in the amnesty re-entry thing, have no control over where I play, and the same amount of money, or.. I can raise a big stink, tell folks that I will disrupt wherever I go if I get claimed in amnesty re-entry.. then I can CHOOSE where I go, and get paid more money!"

Billups wants freedom to choose team. Warns those who'd claim him: You'll regret it. "I'm tired of being the glue guy.A leader can be as disruptive as he can be productive..This is about me now."

Billups warns teams not to claim him off waivers - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

I'm wondering how the Pistons managed to keep all these me-first douchebags in line long enough for two trips to the NBA Finals and one win. Hamilton, Prince= Serious tools now, Billups, the same. Farking Rasheed looked like the reasonable one in his old age. Odd and sad way for the only NBA Championship squad without a super star to end.
bronconick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #632
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Or a rookie QB like Eli Manning or John Elway. What a disgrace! This never happens in the NFL

SI

Yeah, you only had to go 27 years back to find your second example. This is like the 4th or 5th player since the Carmelo trade last spring in the NBA.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #633
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Can you imagine Peyton Manning saying tomorrow: "I demand to be traded to the (insert team here).."

Or Pierre Garcon: "I want to play with Rodgers.. trade me"

Adrian Peterson: "I want to take my talents elsewhere. Miami looks good."

This is what makes the NBA pathetic.

yep. that plus the WWE refereeing and unfair star treatment makes me hate the NBA now
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #634
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Yeah, you only had to go 27 years back to find your second example. This is like the 4th or 5th player since the Carmelo trade last spring in the NBA.

I was just thinking of the most high profile. You're right- it's much more common in the NBA than other sports. In particular, it's much more common with players already under contract. You do have players from time to time in other sports who claim they are unhappy with their current team and who force a trade, but, yeah, it's a lot rarer than currently in the NBA.

So, the bigger question is why in the NBA is it much more likely than in any other league?

SI

Old 12-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #635
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

So, the bigger question is why in the NBA is it much more likely than in any other league?

Because of the capping of star players. They can only make a certain amount wherever they go so they choose the bigger markets to gain extra income that way.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #636
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I don't understand why it's simply not an option to trade Chris Paul except to his preferred destination. I'm sure star baseball players have their preferences about where they're traded, but generally how that scenario works out is that the player is traded to the highest bidder, "rented" for the season, and then he becomes a free agent. Why should Paul give up his free agent status just to facilitate a trade for the Hornets? ("Oh, you'll get an extra backup power forward from Golden St., sure, I'll commit there for 7 years then.")

Last edited by molson : 12-10-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #637
bronconick
College Starter

NBA superstars know they're the reason for ratings/marketing/jersey sales more than any other sport. The only other player in other sports that comes close are NFL QB's, and they're the only other examples, really. I think they'd do it more often, but their livelihood requires their teammates to protect them, and they may not want to die from their left tackle olaying a play or two if they're publicly whining about playing in Kansas City and wanting to be in New York.

Only other example I can think of is Dany Heatley wanting out of Ottawa, which was made public by Ottawa and then they got upset when he used his no-trade clause to not go to Edmonton.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #638
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I don't understand why it's simply not an option to trade Chris Paul except to his preferred destination. I'm sure star baseball players have their preferences about where they're traded, but generally how that scenario works out is that the player is traded to the highest bidder, "rented" for the season, and then he becomes a free agent. Why should Paul give up his free agent status just to facilitate a trade for the Hornets? ("Oh, you'll get an extra backup power forward from Golden St., sure, I'll commit there for 7 years then.")

I'd argue that the salary cap rules probably make "renting" more difficult than in other sports (I guess?)
Old 12-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #639
MrBug708
Head Coach

Looks like Okafor will be tossed in the trade for Paul. I can live with that
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #640
miami_fan
Coordinator

Is this the same Chanucey Billups who wanted to finish his career with the "small market" Denver Nuggets but was forced to go to the NY Knicks in the Carmelo Anthony trade?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 12-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #641
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Okafor is a good player. Solid defender and rebounder. Never became the offensive player people expected but the Lakers won't necessarily need that.

So the NBA-owned Hornets will end up sending their 3 best players to the Celtics and Lakers. Nothing to see here guys.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #642
molson
General Manager

Quote:

So the NBA-owned Hornets will end up sending their 3 best players to the Celtics and Lakers. Nothing to see here guys.

Wasn't everybody just really pissed off when the NBA blocked a trade from the Hornets to the Lakers?
Old 12-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #643
miami_fan
Coordinator

BTW Chauncey had no option of accepting any buyout. The Knicks held the cards.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/kni...rn-next-season

Quote:
The Daily News has learned that the Knicks agreed Wednesday to pick up the one-year, $14.2 million option on the veteran point guard's deal. An official announcement is expected to be made sometime Wednesday afternoon.

"We have made a decision to keep Chauncey Billups for the upcoming 2011-12 season," Knicks team president Donnie Walsh said in a statement. "Chauncey, Amar'e and Carmelo are a great nucleus, as we continue to look to improve our team going into the off-season. Chauncey is an extremely talented and experienced point guard - we are very happy to have him back."

Billups' contract called for the Knicks to decide on his future within five days of the conclusion of their season. The team had until Friday to either pick up his option of buy him out for $4 million.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #644
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

That was just in regards to his option which they picked up. You can work out a buyout after that, just as Rip Hamilton recently did. He would have to clear waivers, which at $15 million, he certainly would.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #645
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Okafor is a good player. Solid defender and rebounder. Never became the offensive player people expected but the Lakers won't necessarily need that.

Who is the player going to the Celtics?

SI

Old 12-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #646
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Who is the player going to the Celtics?

SI

David West, I believe.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #647
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I'd argue that the salary cap rules probably make "renting" more difficult than in other sports (I guess?)

in MLB up until recently.. people were trading for players page in their deal just to get extra draft picks when they left in FA. in the NFL, you had franchise/transitional tags to further limit players movement (at a price). the NBA has neither.. small rosters so losing a starter REALLY hurts, and the draft is only two rounds...
Old 12-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #648
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
David West, I believe.

Free agent David West?

SI

Old 12-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #649
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Not sure about the new rules, but someone like Sac who needs help getting to the salary floor should claim Billips. I believe they would get credit to the cap, but wouldn't have to pay him if he sits at home.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #650
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
That was just in regards to his option which they picked up. You can work out a buyout after that, just as Rip Hamilton recently did. He would have to clear waivers, which at $15 million, he certainly would.

That would be IF the Knicks wanted to do the buyout. Once again, the team still is the one holding the cards. Oh wait you wanted him to make the sacrifice again. I got it.

Look, I get it. They get paid millions. For some, that means the teams should be able treat them anyway they want to. If Chauncey Billups wants to play basketball next year, he will have to agree to the auction terms. If he does not agree with the auction terms, he will not play. Seems like a fair deal to me. I don't know why this would upset anyone. I would think teams would rather know what he plans to do now rather than after they bid on him in the auction. If teams don't believe him, then they can put in a bid for him.