Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #601
Suicane75
Coordinator

To be fair, I think most heterosexuals are a little perplexed as to how one could enjoy a mans anus over a womans vagina.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #602
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Show is way too big to not be picked up. They'll just drop him from the show and continue on. I believe he was supposed to be leaving the show anyway in the next season or two.

Phil has quite the past too. Kind of funny listening to him talk about sin.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #603
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

So, it goes...

The only reason this guy is famous is because - for some reason - people like the show and have built him up to make him famous. I've never seen the show, only heard about it, but from what I've heard a lot of the popularity comes from the fact that the characters are sort moronish red-neck types with a lot of money. A real-life Beverly Hillbillies.

So:

1. we make an ignorant hick popular.

2. Popular ignorant hick acts like an ignorant hick and says stupid shit.

3. People are outraged by this behavior.

Okay...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #604
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Thanks to a several free mornings and a break in a lot of the regular shows, I've finally gotten around to watching "Orphan Black."

It's really great. It's on Comcast On-Demand. All 10 episodes. It's available until at least 12/31 of this year. Well worth a watch.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 12-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #605
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I've never seen the show, only heard about it, but from what I've heard a lot of the popularity comes from the fact that the characters are sort moronish red-neck types with a lot of money.

No, the show is popular among many because it shows "family values" that so much of the rest of TV does not. There is a demographic that enjoys seeing a family actually say a blessing before a meal, for example.

There may also be a demographic that enjoys the red-neck part, but for many there are things portrayed on the show that aren't portrayed anywhere else.

Note that they tried to get some of the religion removed from the show, and the stars balked, willing to walk away from the show entirely.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #606
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
No, the show is popular among many because it shows "family values" that so much of the rest of TV does not. There is a demographic that enjoys seeing a family actually say a blessing before a meal, for example.

"Family values" = code word for Christianity. My in-laws love it, because of the religious aspects. Mother-in-law pushed us to watch their special last Christmas, I instead spent my time in the garage putting together some Christmas stuff. They are from the heart of the Bible Belt, so it's not a surprise at all to me.

Last edited by Butter : 12-19-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #607
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
"Family values" = code word for Christianity.

Yup.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #608
Thomkal
Head Coach

Anyone watching the new show on Fox-Almost Human? I was expecting it to be a similarly "campy" Alien Nation when I first heard about it, but its surprised me. It has a more serious tone though there's some humor too. Humor that works due to the chemistry between the lead android actor and the lead detective actor. The discussions they have in the car on the way to a case are often hilarious.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #609
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I've been meaning to check it out. Figure it might be a show I plow through over the Summer or something when nothing else is on. Then again I said that about Person of Interest and never got around to it.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #610
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

we've been recording it, but somehow missed the first episode and never got around to watching it. so, it's worth it?
Old 12-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #611
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
we've been recording it, but somehow missed the first episode and never got around to watching it. so, it's worth it?

yeah I think so-its got a decent backstory of how technology has developed both good and bad-leading to more sophisticated crimes and crime-solving. I'm guessing Fox has the first episode on their website.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #612
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I've been recording "Almost Human." I watched the first episode. It was all right. The buzz I've been hearing hasn't been great. Then again, the buzz I've been hearing about "Agents of Shield" hasn't been great either and I'm still watching that. So...

There are a few new shows coming up that I'm interested in. "Helix" on SyFy is one of them and I think there's another as well that I'm forgetting.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #613
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
"Family values" = code word for Christianity. My in-laws love it, because of the religious aspects. Mother-in-law pushed us to watch their special last Christmas, I instead spent my time in the garage putting together some Christmas stuff. They are from the heart of the Bible Belt, so it's not a surprise at all to me.

Agreed, that's why I didn't dodge religion later in the post. It does go beyond that though, there are other family interactions that the fans I know enjoy as well.

I just don't think the "fans are rednecks" is correct here.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #614
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I have a hard time believing the suspension is anything more than window dressing. Are they even filming right now? And the suspension/news cycle is probably going to be a ratings bonanza story arc for the show.

Duck Dynasty isn't going to lose any fans because the vast majority of its fan base agrees with most if not all of what he said. But A&E has other shows that have a different cross appeal, and they don't want people to boycott other shows on the network based on what this guy said.

I've been curious how long the Duck Dynasty reign can last anyway. This episode would put it on the path toward mega-ratings in its next season as people rally around the show, then as the enthusiasm and excitement wanes, they move on. Impostor shows pop up, counter programming takes aim and in a couple of years the heat has died down. The cast is making too much money to support a huge ratings drop, and they will probably parlay next season's big ratings into another raise. So by 2016-17 the ratings should be down to the point where the show is no longer profitable without a huge salary cut. Does the cast take the cut to keep the infomercial going?
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #615
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Thanks to a several free mornings and a break in a lot of the regular shows, I've finally gotten around to watching "Orphan Black."

It's really great. It's on Comcast On-Demand. All 10 episodes. It's available until at least 12/31 of this year. Well worth a watch.

Yes! I caught up on this a couple months ago, its incredibly good.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #616
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I have a hard time believing the suspension is anything more than window dressing. Are they even filming right now?

No, no they are not.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #617
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

He has been planning to leave the show for awhile now. I don't see the big deal. This is back in July. They'll continue on with the show without him. It's not like he's integral to it.

'Duck Dynasty' patriarch Phil plans to leave show - TODAY.com
Old 12-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #618
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Agreed, that's why I didn't dodge religion later in the post. It does go beyond that though, there are other family interactions that the fans I know enjoy as well.

I just don't think the "fans are rednecks" is correct here.

Agreed with this. There are lot (A LOT) of Americans who are faithful Christians, but yet you watch network and cable TV and you would have no idea. People in TV land seem to be secular humanists to a tee. So a show that indicates some actual people of faith gets swarmed by people who want to see something that has a greater impact on their lives.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #619
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I've been recording "Almost Human." I watched the first episode. It was all right. The buzz I've been hearing hasn't been great. Then again, the buzz I've been hearing about "Agents of Shield" hasn't been great either and I'm still watching that. So...

There are a few new shows coming up that I'm interested in. "Helix" on SyFy is one of them and I think there's another as well that I'm forgetting.

Helix had better be worth it-I think they have been promoting it for like a year and a half now.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #620
Butter
Coordinator

As an atheist married to a Christian woman, I don't have an issue with there being shows that are not only about people of faith but that showcase that family's practice of faith and how it manifests itself in day to day life.

What I do find interesting is when that family basically whores itself out for as much money as possible. I find it hypocritical and tasteless. But then, they are self-described rednecks, AFAIK.

Anyway, it's not hard to just not watch the show and not buy their myriad of products, for which they seem to have little to no filter or business plan.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #621
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

If somebody paid me millions of dollars I'd be a whore too
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #622
Butter
Coordinator

So would I, but I would think true followers of Jesus would find it hard to reconcile with a strong Christian faith. Luckily, I wouldn't have that problem personally.

Last edited by Butter : 12-19-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #623
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Agreed with this. There are lot (A LOT) of Americans who are faithful Christians, but yet you watch network and cable TV and you would have no idea.

Or read TV blogs.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #624
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
He has been planning to leave the show for awhile now. I don't see the big deal. This is back in July. They'll continue on with the show without him. It's not like he's integral to it.

'Duck Dynasty' patriarch Phil plans to leave show - TODAY.com

Not so fast.

The Robertson Family Offical Statement | Duck Commander

Quote:
We want to thank all of you for your prayers and support. The family has spent much time in prayer since learning of A&E's decision. We want you to know that first and foremost we are a family rooted in our faith in God and our belief that the Bible is His word. While some of Phil’s unfiltered comments to the reporter were coarse, his beliefs are grounded in the teachings of the Bible. Phil is a Godly man who follows what the Bible says are the greatest commandments: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart” and “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Phil would never incite or encourage hate.We are disappointed that Phil has been placed on hiatus for expressing his faith, which is his constitutionally protected right.We have had a successful working relationship with A&E but, as a family, we cannot imagine the show going forward without our patriarch at the helm. We are in discussions with A&E to see what that means for the future of Duck Dynasty. Again, thank you for your continued support of our family.

Whoopedeedoo. We're sorry, but not really, and we are doubling down on the show and it's relationship with A&E, and putting pressure and dare them to pull the whole show.

I like the comment that he has been placed on hiatus for expressing his faith, which is his constitutionally protected right.

I don't think Obama, Congress and the Military are coming to take him away for speaking his mind. It's simply his employer, and there is no clause that says speaking your mind keeps you free from all consequences. If that were the case there are a number of people I'd have told off while in uniform.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #625
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

I don't think Obama, Congress and the Military are coming to take him away for speaking his mind. It's simply his employer, and there is no clause that says speaking your mind keeps you free from all consequences. If that were the case there are a number of people I'd have told off while in uniform.

This.

In all the internet-hysteria over situations like this it's a pretty handy shortcut to discern the intellect of the poster based on whether they jump straight to the "freedom of speech" type defense or not.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #626
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

It'll come down to contracts. I'd be shocked if there was something in it that allowed them to walk away to another network right away. And while they want to stand by their principles, that's a lot of money to walk away from. TV show has been huge for their other business ventures.

I actually don't think he should be suspended. I don't think businesses need stances on things. If people don't like them, don't watch the show. Groups like GLAAD try to extort companies to get what they want and it'd be nice for more to tell them to fuck off.

At the same time, it's always funny when people throw out the constitutionally protected right shit when it has absolutely no bearing on the issue. And it's funny to be lectured on sin from a guy who was a drunk adulterer who committed violent assaults and then ran away and hid like a coward.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #627
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I also would be shocked if the show went away. Reality stars have short windows and you cash in while you can. Too much money at stake for everyone to not come to some agreement.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #628
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

They aren't even that redneck as that's played up for the show. The guys essentially grew their beards and made the transformation for the show. If the show stops, they still run a multi-million dollar business, do speaking engagements, can write best sellers, and put out ungodly amounts of product that will sell.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #629
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I'd definitely recommend Almost Human over Agents of Shield. It's still early enough in the first season that they haven't started tying much into a larger plot or themes, but it's light years ahead of Agents due to the charisma of and chemistry between the two lead actors (Ealy and Urban).

Orphan Black is great, and I've been pushing it hard for months. Only thing that still threw me off when re-watching with a friend was how weirdly unspecific they are about location. I just assume they're based in Toronto because that's where it's filmed/much of the skyline shots are/everything fits, but I don't know why the director is so hesitant to just go with that instead of insisting it's "somewhere in Generica".

Btw, Justified is back soon - January 7th.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 12-19-2013 at 11:17 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:43 AM   #630
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Orphan Black is great, and I've been pushing it hard for months. Only thing that still threw me off when re-watching with a friend was how weirdly unspecific they are about location. I just assume they're based in Toronto because that's where it's filmed/much of the skyline shots are/everything fits, but I don't know why the director is so hesitant to just go with that instead of insisting it's "somewhere in Generica".

I don't think they were hiding the location. I am fairly sure they mentioned a few locations in or around Toronto during the series.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #631
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

Btw, Justified is back soon - January 7th.

and The Americans will be back in early February
Old 12-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #632
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

This is going to potentially be more troublesome than the gay remarks:

Quote:
“I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”
Old 12-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #633
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
This is going to potentially be more troublesome than the gay remarks:

When was that said, and in what context? Was it the same interview?

Like Steam?

Old 12-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #634
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It's from the same GQ interview.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #635
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

Yes it was I guess.

Check out this winner as well.

Quote:
For the sake of the Gospel, it was worth it," he says of doing the reality show. "All you have to do is look at any society where there is no Jesus. I'll give you four: Nazis, no Jesus. Look at their record. Uh, Shintos? They started this thing in Pearl Harbor. Any Jesus among them? None. Communists? None. Islamists? Zero. That's 80 years of ideologies that have popped up where no Jesus was allowed among those four groups. Just look at the records as far as murder goes among those four groups."

At the bottom, this seems like a very misguided, ignorant, self-serving statement. Yet he is selling it (and the other stuff too) like it's pie at a family reunion. You know, a lot of people around my area share these (and his other) views. He just had the desire to speak freely about it on the national scale. Why hasn't the backlash reached the same level as the Paula Deen comments? Why is she universally condemned and he stirs up this mass of emotion and support for it?

I honestly don't know. There were many people on the tv interviews this morning basically saying he shouldn't be suspended and he should be able to speak his mind. Ok so there is no line then? I'm confused. Are we supposed to allow everyone, extremist hatemongers included, and now I'm not supposed to be upset when someone says something stupid? So I guess I'm just back to Paula Deen now.

My job, your job, your livelihood would be greatly impacted if you did or said similar statements in a similar venue. Why should you expect any different here? Is it just because the family are a bunch of bible thumpers? Is it really the religion behind this that props it up?

Like Steam?

Old 12-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #636
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Fuck those Shinto bastards.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #637
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I honestly don't know. There were many people on the tv interviews this morning basically saying he shouldn't be suspended and he should be able to speak his mind. Ok so there is no line then? I'm confused. Are we supposed to allow everyone, extremist hatemongers included, and now I'm not supposed to be upset when someone says something stupid? So I guess I'm just back to Paula Deen now.

I think it gets weird when entertainers have to match our views of the world to be able to enjoy them. Can I cheer for football players who don't think like me? Can I enjoy a Tom Cruise movie even if I find his views on religion a bit wacky?

I think A&E should make the decision in their own business interests and consumers should decide on their own whether they want to watch or not. I don't agree with what he said, and coming from him it's even more comical considering his "sinful violent" past. But I don't think I should be the moral police and dictate whether he is employed. His views have no bearing on the show and really aren't my business in the end.

And no one was really upset by what Paula Deen said. Just like no one is upset by what he said. It's all faux-outrage.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #638
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I've never seen the show and I am not any more or any less inclined to see it now. there are dumbasses all over the airwaves
Old 12-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #639
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
I don't think they were hiding the location. I am fairly sure they mentioned a few locations in or around Toronto during the series.
The director still seems bent on the "Generica" idea so people outside North America can relate to it better or because of some Canadian inferiority complex (the show is underwritten by the Canadian goverment)? Idk, it just seems distracting to me.
Quote:
Supporting Maslany's work is the Greater Toronto Area, credibly representing what series creator Graeme Manson has described as "Generica," a deliberately unspecified large city Canadians will be able to identify from context clues — the suburb of Scarborough, a plane ticket to Pearson International Airport — but that won't mean much to an international audience. It's a daring new way for a producer to work within CanCon strictures: Set your show in Canada (technically), employ a Canadian crew, run it on a Canadian channel (the SyFy equivalent Space airs it there), and make room for recurring guest stars like Maria Doyle Kennedy (who plays Sarah's former foster mother, now raising Sarah's daughter) by casting one Canadian to play close to a dozen roles.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #640
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

A&E Welcomes Phil Robertson Back to 'Duck Dynasty'
Old 12-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #641
chadritt
High School Varsity

Oh gosh, what a surprise...I cant believe they would bring him back in time for his "suspension" to have been utterly meaningless.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #642
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
Oh gosh, what a surprise...I cant believe they would bring him back in time for his "suspension" to have been utterly meaningless.

I'm sure we haven't been conned, hustled, or anything of the sort.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #643
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

LOL!

And when the upcoming season has the highest ratings ever, I'm sure that wasn't considered by A&E higher ups either .
Old 12-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #644
chadritt
High School Varsity

Phil Robertson Suggests Guys Marry 15-Year-Old Girls in Newly Surfaced Preaching Video—Watch | E! Online

Gays are full of murder, african americans didnt mind jim crow times, and men should marry girls when theyre 15. I know A&E will probably never care but this is starting to just get comical.

Last edited by chadritt : 12-30-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #645
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm sure we haven't been conned, hustled, or anything of the sort.
Conned or hustled by a "reality show" with story producers, story assistants and an Editorial Department? Never!
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:15 PM   #646
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Conned or hustled by a "reality show" with story producers, story assistants and an Editorial Department? Never!

Ok...im not going to deny that the duck dynasty thing is a giant con for ratings but that has nothing to do with story producers, assistants, and editors. Those exist for totally valid reasons like the fact nobody wants to watch raw footage for 30 minutes straight.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:29 AM   #647
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Orphan Black is fantastic. The actress does a phenomenal job playing the multiple roles. It's truly impressive how each of her characters is distinctly an individual, and when interacting the fact that it is the same actress isn't even a distraction. It's also highly addictive. In the last few days I have watched 6 episodes, and the only thing that has kept me from blowing through all 10 is that I occasionally need to do things like sleep and work.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:45 AM   #648
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Broadchurch was a bit iffy towards the end, but I enjoyed most of it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:45 AM   #649
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Orphan Black is fantastic. The actress does a phenomenal job playing the multiple roles. It's truly impressive how each of her characters is distinctly an individual, and when interacting the fact that it is the same actress isn't even a distraction. It's also highly addictive. In the last few days I have watched 6 episodes, and the only thing that has kept me from blowing through all 10 is that I occasionally need to do things like sleep and work.

I am 3 episodes in and like it so far.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #650
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I am 3 episodes in and like it so far.

After episode 4 set aside 3 hours & just barrel through 5, 6 & 7. They all end where you need to see what happens next. And there is one scene in 7 that is a "Hoe-Lee--Fucking-Shite" moment.

Spoiler
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote