Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-28-2006, 11:58 AM   #601
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
Agreed. I think that is much ado about nothing. The judges are the ones who pimped it up that he did it original... what, did people actually think he was furiously doing his own arrangement all week? Come on now...

It was done on "Rockstar." But of course, they had more talent.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:04 PM   #602
Easy Mac

Lisa Tucker - Because of You (Kelly Clarkson) - OK, she showed in this song why she has no chance. She sounded horrible. I can't believe Randy was negative, of all people. She has none of Kelly's talent, nor her stage prescence, which is saying a lot. She should be gone next week (Bucky this week).
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:12 PM   #603
Easy Mac

Pickler - Soap Bubbles (by someone) - Yay country! I didn't know she could sing that. After this performance, I still don't know if she can sing it. Anyone can throw a twang in a song. She looks very ugly tonight, sounds like crap... nice to see Pickles falter. That last note was horrible. One time I just want to see the audience boo, that would be great.

So far:
Pickler
Tucker

(could flip flop)

Last edited by Easy Mac : 03-28-2006 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:15 PM   #604
wade moore
lolzcat

I can never resist looking at this thread even though I won't be watching until tomorrow on TiVO ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:15 PM   #605
Easy Mac

Ace - Drops of Jupiter (Train) - Nice to see Ace going with Rock this week... wait, he's doing train. Even he sounds out of his depth tonight, and this should be an easy song to knock out of the park, especially with his feminine range. Good to see he makes sure to add a lisp to the words. He might be the best of the night though.

So far:
Ace
Pickler
Tucker
Old 03-28-2006, 07:16 PM   #606
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

wow...Paula says "most favorite"

HAHAHA
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:25 PM   #607
Easy Mac

Taylor - Trouble (by Ray someone) - Got a haircut, not as floppy. Trouble seems to be the theme of this song, though I'm not entirely sure. I think he's said about 8 different words. Even Taylor sounds a bit off, but the stronger parts of the song play to Taylor's strengths, so its masking it a little. No worse than others, but not really better.

So far:
Taylor
Ace
Pickler
Tucker
Old 03-28-2006, 07:26 PM   #608
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

god. this night is just making me...ick. I don't think any of them have stood out at all. none of them have done enough to draw my attention away from the computer as some of them have on past nights.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:29 PM   #609
Easy Mac

Mandisa - Mary? (by someone) - I don't really think this song is showing the best of Mandisa. Not really a lot of range so far. She just gets into that growling mode and it makes it sound likes she's singing the hell out of the song. The strong note wasn't as strong as in the past. Better at the end.

So far:
Mandisa
Taylor
Ace
Tucker
Pickles
Old 03-28-2006, 07:31 PM   #610
Easy Mac

Katharine McPhee reminds me a little of Mandy Moore, hot, sultry, has that look that makes you melt when they sing/act. Probably will rent American Dreamz when its on dvd.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:32 PM   #611
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Ace - Drops of Jupiter (Train) - Nice to see Ace going with Rock this week... wait, he's doing train. Even he sounds out of his depth tonight, and this should be an easy song to knock out of the park, especially with his feminine range. Good to see he makes sure to add a lisp to the words. He might be the best of the night though.

So far:
Ace
Pickler
Tucker

I've been saying since this thing started that Ace needed to do a "Pop Rock" song, couldn't understand why he hadn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:35 PM   #612
Joe
Pro Starter

lol chris is singing creed
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:36 PM   #613
Easy Mac

Chris Daughtry - What If (by Creed) - Nice to see them finally credit Live. Nice Creed!!! They rock!!!! This may actually be too hard for American Idol, not sure if little girls will like it. He actually rocks it a little more that Scott Stapp, but sadly, I may like the original Creed version more. I think Live is definitely more his. Simon will say this doesn't show his voice. Enjoyed it more than everyone else though.

SO far:
Chris
Taylor
Mandisa
Ace
Pickler
Tucker
Old 03-28-2006, 07:37 PM   #614
Easy Mac

Oh, and if you're not watching, time for McPhee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2006, 07:39 PM   #615
Easy Mac

Katharine - The Voice Within? (Christina Agorilla) - I think she's going to go horse jumping or something. Not a nice get up. Still, that smile. Is she wearing a leotard of something? It's like they tried to make her ugly. Doesn't sound great tonight. Possibly better than the rest though.

So far:
Chris
Katharine
Mandisa
Taylor
Ace
Tucker
Pickler
Old 03-28-2006, 07:40 PM   #616
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

McPhee is the only one who's actually done a SONG tonight. Don't get me started on Chris' horrid "WHAT IF WHAT IF WHAT IF" garbage. To me, and I guess this makes me like Simon, that song wasn't singing, it was just yelling and bouncing around. ugh.

McPhee is the clear winner for the night I think we'd say...and then maybe what...Ace?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:47 PM   #617
Easy Mac

Bucky - Real Good Man (Tim McGraw) - Would have been better if he did Don't Take the Girl, my favorite McGraw song, but with Bucky's voice he probably would have butchered it. I just don't like his voice, but at least he doesn't look like a male Jessica Simpson (no, Ashley doesn't count). I just don't like. Chris can kind of get away with a shouting male growl, not Bucky.

So far:
Katharine
Chris
Taylor
Bucky
Mandisa
Ace
Tucker
Pickler
Old 03-28-2006, 07:50 PM   #618
Easy Mac

Paris - Work it Out (Beyonce) - Even Paris sounds off tonight. I don't know if its just the TV or if something is just wrong on that stage She at least looks like she's enjoying what she's doing. I guess I just don't like it, and the poof hairstyle is a horrible thing and should die a million deaths. Sounds meh, but for tonight that may be good enough. Last note sounded like shouting. Randy will say she worked it out.

So far:
Katharine
Paris
Chris
Taylor
Bucky
Mandisa
Ace
Tucker
Pickler
Old 03-28-2006, 07:50 PM   #619
MJ4H
Coordinator

Katharine and Paris are my favorites. I really enjoy Paris though I can understand those that find her annoying.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:52 PM   #620
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

So far, I haven't really liked any of these performances. I wish Kevin was back, and I'm actually serious.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:56 PM   #621
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Bucky - Real Good Man (Tim McGraw) - Would have been better if he did Don't Take the Girl, my favorite McGraw song, but with Bucky's voice he probably would have butchered it.

Yeah, but with tonight's theme he couldn't do Don't Take The Girl.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:57 PM   #622
Easy Mac

Elliot - I don't want to be - He should sing that song by Eamon, I want you back. Man, he sounds horrible. This really should have been a good song for him. I can see Yoda singing it in my head, but the TV sounds nothing like it. This is really bad enough that he could go home. I really don't know where the Elliot vote is coming from, but I don't see it.

Tonights lineup:
Katharine
Paris
Chris
Taylor
Bucky
Mandisa
Ace
Tucker
Elliot
Pickler

They musty have been listening to a different song, I thought he sounded horrible.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:57 PM   #623
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
Yeah, but with tonight's theme he couldn't do Don't Take The Girl.

Good call... man, middle school doesn't feel like that long ago...
Old 03-28-2006, 07:58 PM   #624
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Elliott...ummm...was that a joke? UGH. I don't even care if he can sing in the other weeks and I don't see how Randy+Paula can say anything positive about him (well Randy at least). Gawd he needs to go.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:03 PM   #625
Logan
Head Coach

Wow this night sucked.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:04 PM   #626
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Based on tonight: Lisa, Ace, and Pickler were bottom three.

I thought it was easily bucky's best performace. He will make it in the country world.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:06 PM   #627
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

You know, I think I've said before that I don't really watch this show for the singing competition. I guess I just watch it for entertainment/comedy value. I got most of that from Bucky tonight. The rest of the performances were either invisible or less than I would have expected. Nothing except Bucky's hat made me want to turn away from my computer monitor to give more than 50% attention to what was happening on the TV.

Well, I take that back. I did notice that Katharine looked like she needed to pee really badly. I still don't love her the way some of you guys do, but perhaps that's a character flaw on my part.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:08 PM   #628
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

At 8:39 after Katherine's performance
Quote:
So far:
Chris
Katharine
Mandisa
Taylor
Ace
Tucker
Pickler

at 8:47 after Bycky's performance
Quote:
So far:
Katharine
Chris
Taylor
Bucky
Mandisa
Ace
Tucker
Pickler

Just what happened during Bucky's performance to change the order. Did Katherine stop by your house and "persuade" you.

As for the night. I want that hour of my life back. If you are basing the voting on tonight's performance just throw their names in a hat and pick one to eliminate. With that said, and them all sucking equally it means that Ace, Bucky and Lisa should be in trouble. Lisa just doesn't seem to have something to draw in a fan base and the other two just suck. Maybe they should just replay last season so we can at least be entertained, this season has been relatively painful. Chris is usually the only one I look forward to seeing perform but that was about the worst song choice he could have made. Katherine and Kellie I look forward to seeing, but not really seeing them perform (unless they put a pole on stage ).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:16 PM   #629
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan
At 8:39 after Katherine's performance

at 8:47 after Bycky's performance

Just what happened during Bucky's performance to change the order. Did Katherine stop by your house and "persuade" you.

As for the night. I want that hour of my life back. If you are basing the voting on tonight's performance just throw their names in a hat and pick one to eliminate. With that said, and them all sucking equally it means that Ace, Bucky and Lisa should be in trouble. Lisa just doesn't seem to have something to draw in a fan base and the other two just suck. Maybe they should just replay last season so we can at least be entertained, this season has been relatively painful. Chris is usually the only one I look forward to seeing perform but that was about the worst song choice he could have made. Katherine and Kellie I look forward to seeing, but not really seeing them perform (unless they put a pole on stage ).

I'm kind of like the BCS. You don't really understand the math, you just trust that it's correct.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:23 PM   #630
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I think the bottom 3 will be Lisa, Bucky, and Ace. Bucky doesn't deserve to be there based just on tonight's performance, but from a cumulative standpoint. Katharine was the best of the night, but I might be a bit biased by her beauty
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:23 PM   #631
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm kind of like the BCS. You don't really understand the math, you just trust that it's correct.

lol
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:29 PM   #632
Drake
assmaster

Easily the worst night of AI by far. I asked my wife at one point if it could be that the monitors that project the vocals back to the singers might have been off, because everyone sounded horribly off key.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:07 PM   #633
Swaggs
Coordinator

I actually thought Bucky and Ace had two of the more tolerable performances of the night, and they are two of my least favorite singers left.

I think Simon nailed Paris's performance on the head, with the little girl pretending to be Beyonce comment.

I cannot understand why more people don't use popular songs when they have the opportunity. It might be a longshot, but I think Mandisa may be a wildcard to be in the bottom three this week and maybe go home b/c of her song choice.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:38 PM   #634
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Without a doubt, that was the worst night of Idol ever. There was one running theme: pick a recent song you like a lot, and make the original look good in comparison. Too many more nights like tonight, and the show will lose all the credibility it gained for discovering Kelly Clarkson.

Tonight was bad enough to awaken Paula Abdul from her normal drug-induced haze. She had that look tonight. Ten performances were keeping her from another sleep-enhancing fix of whatever it is that makes her Paula. She was cranky. She was relatively quiet. She wasn't punching Simon.

So, on to the Solecismic Ratings. Remember, you see them here first, and nowhere else. You might even like them and somewhat agree with them, as long as you're not a Skynnyrd fan.

1. Katharine McPhee. Yes, she took on Aguilera and came up a bit short. But only a bit short. I'm starting to think she might stick around as long as I'd like based on her looks alone. This song showed off her range, and was much more of a risk than anyone else took. Well, anyone other than Lisa Tucker. But that's the difference between tightrope walking and hitting yourself over the head repeatedly with an anvil. By far the class of the night. Score of 89.

2. Paris Bennett. It was fun, right up her alley. Paris is very well trained and has a good voice. I don't think there's much room for her to improve, but she was solid again. Score of 84.

3. Elliott Yamin. Hard not to compare this to Bo Bice's strongest performances from last season - the ones that got him into the finals. It was a very different arrangement, though, and one that did not show off the more difficult parts of the song very well. I thought he started shaky, but got a lot better as the song progressed. He has the best vocal range of the men. Score of 77.

4. Kellie Pickler. Yep, fourth tonight. With a pretty dull performance that I didn't enjoy very much. And a score that would be bottom four most weeks rather than top four. It was safe, she flat out missed some big notes. And yet it was far from the worst tonight. Score of 66.

5. Taylor Hicks. I'm sure his fans are much happier with tonight's performance. Last week he was dreadful, and this week his voice was back to its old self. Call this a personal bias, because I just don't like the style. It is actually painful to listen to him. Score of 65.

6. Chris Daughtry. Yes, we get it, you can sing repetitive easy grungy tunes. He played it safe this week, and this score is all about not taking a challenge and doing something he could do competently in his sleep. He needs to show his range, perhaps more than anyone. Score of 63.

7. Bucky Covington. He was Bucky tonight. But then again, isn't he always Bucky? Score of 55.

8. Lisa Tucker. She has great big giant ones for taking on The Clarkson. And for thinking she nailed it. She handled the power part of the song well, but was dreadful in the buildup and in the end. She's going home. Score of 54.

9. Mandisa Hundley. Yes, that was indulgent. It was sloppy and all over the place. Her voice just isn't suited for that type of song. Score of 51.

10. Ace Young. That was the proverbial disaster. It's a very complex song, probably my favorite of the ones sung tonight. He just didn't pull it off at all. Score of 29.

Expected bottom three: Ace, Lisa and Bucky, with Lisa going home.
Who I would like to see go home: Bucky, because he's completely overmatched.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:40 PM   #635
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Bottom 3 - Bucky, Lisa, Ace.

Lisa goes...

This was a train wreck of an episode. I have no idea what the hell just happened.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:32 AM   #636
Thomkal
Head Coach

I agree with the others that was the worst night in AI history. When I heard the theme for the night I thought it would be a good show since they would all would be singing songs they were comfortable with, but I couldn't be more wrong. Instead like some said they picked their favorite songs. But I guess they thought they sung their favorite songs well until last night.

Taylor would be my winner from last night. I've not been a fan of his "antics" on stage for the most part, so it was nice to see him calm it down and sing. Picked the best song to show off his voice of the bunch I think. Paris would be second for me-I thought it was a more mature performance for her. (though I hated her hair ) Sadly Bucky with his just above mediocre performance of a Tim McGraw song would be third. I thought the rest were varying degrees of awful, and was especially disappointed in Mandisa's song choice and performance.

I think Lisa goes tonight. She was already in danger based on the last two weeks, sang in the forgettable first spot and tried to sing better than Kelly Clarkson. Just an awful decision. No Idol contestant should sing a song released by a past Idol performer. You're instantly compared to that person, and since the song was tailored to that person's voice, I can't ever see someone doing better than the original. It was a horrendous decision I think to sing it.

And the band this year has been pretty bad. The arrangements on some of the songs this season, especially country ones, have hurt the performer more than they helped.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:07 AM   #637
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal
And the band this year has been pretty bad.

So what else is new?
Old 03-29-2006, 09:05 AM   #638
law90026
College Benchwarmer

I have to say I really didn't enjoy the latest episode. The performances all kinda sucked and I can understand why Simon seemed so irritated.

Nice to see Chris own up to ripping Live off though

Did not like: Ace (eww), Bucky (one of the weakest) and Taylor (boring again).

And Katherine's singing continues to give me a headache...
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:32 AM   #639
kurtism
High School Varsity

Piling on... No arguments with the show being, at best, rough. My pet peeve, however, is with the multiple song choices from 2000. Can someone please tell the AI producers/contestants that the 21st century began in 2001? (For that matter, if you are going to include 2000 in the mix, tell Simon that they had 7 years to choose from, not 6.)
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:41 AM   #640
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I'll even pile on a bit here. I don't watch Idol that closely (more listen as I'm on the computer while my wife watches), but even I could tell last night that it sucked royal. It also reinforced my sincere belief that anything pretty much put out by anyone (save a couple of favored artists) since I graduated college eight years ago is complete and utter crap.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:42 AM   #641
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
So, on to the Solecismic Ratings.
FOAI! WOOT!
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:52 AM   #642
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I agree last night was one of the worst nights ever. I also almost completely agree with Jim's ratings except I'd move Taylor up one slot and Kellie down one slot. I also think Lisa is going home.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:56 AM   #643
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I agree last night was one of the worst nights ever. I also almost completely agree with Jim's ratings except I'd move Taylor up one slot and Kellie down one slot. I also think Lisa is going home.

Closer. I'd move Chris up 4 and Kellie and Elliot down three.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:07 PM   #644
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

According to DialIdol.com, Katharine is almost a lock to be in the bottom three tonight, along with Ace. That would not be good.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 12:10 PM   #645
GrantDawg

Quote:
According to DialIdol.com, Katharine is almost a lock to be in the bottom three tonight, along with Ace. That would not be good.

Looking at there past track record, it means little. Last week, they only had one of the bottom three right. The week before that, 0.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 03-29-2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:05 PM   #646
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:

DialIdol had a good track record, they were predicting with 85% accuracy last year and in the early rounds this year, but suddenly they're way off. They predicted Elliot as being way back in last place last week.

They use busy signals to predict who's getting fewer votes, fewer busy signals means that less people are phoning. Since they are coming up with Katherine and Elliot in last place, is it possible that the more popular competitors get more lines decicated to them to make sure more votes for them get through? That would account for the few busy signals for people who seem to be well liked.

Normally I don't go for all the conspiracy signal stuff, but for AI I'll believe anything
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:16 PM   #647
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Looking at there past track record, it means little. Last week, they only had one of the bottom three right. The week before that, 0.

I agree that site seems to have some either fundamental flaw or a major bug in its prediction method.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:17 PM   #648
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
They use busy signals to predict who's getting fewer votes, fewer busy signals means that less people are phoning. Since they are coming up with Katherine and Elliot in last place, is it possible that the more popular competitors get more lines decicated to them to make sure more votes for them get through? That would account for the few busy signals for people who seem to be well liked.

I don't have a source for this, but I actually remember reading that Fox was dedicating more lines to every contestant this year to cut down on busy signals. So the lack of busy signals across the board would certainly make DialIdol less accurate, I'd think.

Either way, I sure hope they're wrong. Katherine has to be one of the top singers in this competition, and I think she has some of the best "upside" of any of them.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:53 PM   #649
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
Either way, I sure hope they're wrong. Katherine has to be one of the top singers in this competition, and I think she has some of the best "upside" of any of them.

As well as the best topside and backside.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:19 PM   #650
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
As well as the best topside and backside.

Indeed. Especially with the topside pushed upside...