Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-25-2009, 02:55 PM   #601
RainMaker
General Manager

So anymore feedback on the Batman game? I'm really tempted to pick it up.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:55 PM   #602
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

I don't have it but it seems like one of those games that you beat and never touch again. I played the demo and really enjoyed it but how much re-playability can a title like this really have?
Old 08-25-2009, 04:52 PM   #603
MJ4H
Coordinator

Professor Leyton tonight! Impressions coming soon.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #604
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Professor Leyton tonight! Impressions coming soon.

I liked the first one a lot, although I thought it was pretty hard, and I beat the game only to turn on the DS one day and discover that my saved game had somehow become corrupted. I lost all my progress (really I just lost all the extras that come from beating the game).
Old 08-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #605
MJ4H
Coordinator

My wife was hard-core into the first one and has been drooling for #2 since it was hinted at. She's already tried to buy it today but gamestop said it wouldn't be in till later. She's going later.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:01 PM   #606
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:

I rented it today. I should have some impressions tomorrow night.

Last edited by Ironhead : 08-25-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #607
General Mike
Pro Starter

I got the new Prof. Layton today. So far so good.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:23 PM   #608
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

IGN HD Video Review

YouTube - Batman: Arkham Asylum Review

I'll have some tomorrow as I'm going to pick this one up!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:15 AM   #609
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I got Arkham, and I was sucked in.

I don't think that it's too deep, but I'm having a lot of fun playing it. The characters are really well defined and the atmosphere is creepy (not as creepy as Dead Space, but I think I've only scratched the surface).

I did my first trade away and parted with 5 games, and got Arkham for 27 bucks...it should keep me busy and give me a breather when I get frustrated with Madden 2010.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #610
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Is the PS3 a full-featured Blu-Ray player? 1080p hdmi output, audio options and the like? Tempted with the price drop (nice work Sony, you got me!), considering some of the exclusive games look pretty good.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:13 PM   #611
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMan View Post
Is the PS3 a full-featured Blu-Ray player? 1080p hdmi output, audio options and the like? Tempted with the price drop (nice work Sony, you got me!), considering some of the exclusive games look pretty good.
Yep, and it's one of the better ones on the market.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:47 PM   #612
Flasch186
Coordinator

i love mine AND they sent me an autographed MBBF postcard (I KID!)

seriously though, love mine and i use it 90% as a player and not gaming.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 08-26-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:49 PM   #613
Ironhead
College Prospect

Got a good 4 or 5 hours in with Batman the past two days. It definitely has me sucked in and wanting more.

The game has a lot of atmosphere. There have been a couple of really creepy moments so far. You definitely feel like you are in Batman's world. Really enjoying the storyline so far too.

As Qwikshot said the characters are very well defined. While I never read the comics I watched the animated series pretty religiously in the 90s. The characters seem pretty true to what I can remember from that series - it helps that many of the voice actors are the same.

The fighting system is simple but incredibly fun. I have spent much more time exploring than I have fighting people so far. The gameplay requires a little strategy - you are Batman after all.

My biggest gripe is that the camera can be a little disorienting at times. I feel like it is just slightly too zoomed in. It can make it hard to really take in the surroundings which is important in the game.

Really enjoying it so far. I have a feeling by the time I finish the game it will end up in my top 5 list for the 360. That being said given how short the game is supposed to be (maybe 10 to 12 hours) and the fact that I don't think I would play through the story mode more than once it still falls in my rental category.

Last edited by Ironhead : 08-26-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:50 AM   #614
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Yep, and it's one of the better ones on the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
seriously though, love mine and i use it 90% as a player and not gaming.

Thanks, may have to look into this for an early holiday gift.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:50 AM   #615
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

You may not have seen it in the other thread, but I mentioned that I bought a Slim yesterday mainly for that purpose. If it's not the best BR player, it's certainly top 3. Fully upgradable and the new Slim version has additional audio options that the old PS3 did not have.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:15 AM   #616
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
(not as creepy as Dead Space, but I think I've only scratched the surface).

I'm currently playing Dead Space.. there are a few spots I've jumped at.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:53 AM   #617
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I'm currently playing Dead Space.. there are a few spots I've jumped at.

Oh I agree completely, my fiance had great trouble staying in the room when I played that game.

I basically shot every body in the room, that solved a lot of problems.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:58 AM   #618
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Oh I agree completely, my fiance had great trouble staying in the room when I played that game.

I think I'll have to play this game now solely based on your last comment. Funny stuff.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #619
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

*L*

I think I do the same thing. Dead body on the floor? Thing ain't popping up on me so, needs a few rounds in it.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 08-27-2009, 09:04 AM   #620
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
*L*

I think I do the same thing. Dead body on the floor? Thing ain't popping up on me so, needs a few rounds in it.

Just curious. I know some of the Resident Evil games are severely restrictive in regards to ammo available, which keeps you from doing something like what you mention above. I take it that this game is not that way?
Old 08-27-2009, 09:12 AM   #621
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Just curious. I know some of the Resident Evil games are severely restrictive in regards to ammo available, which keeps you from doing something like what you mention above. I take it that this game is not that way?

I think the ammo is balanced between too much and not enough. You don't have an endless supply and I've run out a few times given that you have to target the limbs to stop the baddies in the game. I don't shot everything on the ground, just anything dead that looks 'suspicious'.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #622
Kodos
Resident Alien

You don't have a bat or something to thump them with?
Old 08-27-2009, 09:25 AM   #623
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

The visual of this comment was nearly as funny as the thought of Quikshot running around shooting at dead bodies.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #624
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

No and it wouldn't do you much good because you need something sharp to hack off their limbs because that's the only way to kill them.

(oh how I wish we still had QotM)
Old 08-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #625
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
Got a good 4 or 5 hours in with Batman the past two days. It definitely has me sucked in and wanting more.

The game has a lot of atmosphere. There have been a couple of really creepy moments so far. You definitely feel like you are in Batman's world. Really enjoying the storyline so far too.

As Qwikshot said the characters are very well defined. While I never read the comics I watched the animated series pretty religiously in the 90s. The characters seem pretty true to what I can remember from that series - it helps that many of the voice actors are the same.

The fighting system is simple but incredibly fun. I have spent much more time exploring than I have fighting people so far. The gameplay requires a little strategy - you are Batman after all.

My biggest gripe is that the camera can be a little disorienting at times. I feel like it is just slightly too zoomed in. It can make it hard to really take in the surroundings which is important in the game.

Really enjoying it so far. I have a feeling by the time I finish the game it will end up in my top 5 list for the 360. That being said given how short the game is supposed to be (maybe 10 to 12 hours) and the fact that I don't think I would play through the story mode more than once it still falls in my rental category.

I agree with most of what Ironhead said. I picked this up during my lunch break yesterday and it has completely engrossed me. I'm going to take a break soon, only because I want to make it last. If you are a fan of Batman, this is a must rent at least. I think it is probably going to be worth buying as the gameplay is so good, that I can see myself playing through it twice, plus trying out the various challenge modes.

As far as the camera, I don't mind it at all, I think it's fairly representative of the difficulty of seeing behind you at all times and I think it emphasizes the need to get to high ground at times and use your detective vision to scan ahead. Speaking of which, I love how the detective vision is done. Makes the stealth play fun for me. I also think this is going to make my top 5 list for my 360 and so far it is the game of the year for me.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:59 PM   #626
Calis
College Starter

Rented Arkham Asylum myself and have been playing it the past couple nights. I'm really enjoying it. I'm a pretty big Batman fan so I might be biased, but it is definitely a must play for anyone who is a fan. I tend to play mostly strategy and sports games lately, but loving this one.

The combat couldn't be any slicker imo. I haven't got tired yet of finding a perch, glide kicking a guy down from that, maybe throwing a triple batarang attack to knock down three and then go to work. The flow of the combat is extremely well done and very cinematic. Really makes you feel like you're controlling a master of hand to hand and not spamming button mashes. It might be too simple for some though.

There could be complaints about the game basically revolving around finding one grate and crawling into a room to find another. Definitely spend a lot of time breaking down grates. It's not bothering me though. Having a fun time following the story, hunting for the Riddler trophies, and looking for those audio interviews with the bad guys. Awesome voice acting also. Graphically it's nice, but I wish they didn't have to roid everyone out. Gordon looks like they ripped him out of Gears of War. Not a big deal though.

Apparently 'ole Arkham was a fan of Gargoyles as well.

Definitely the best licensed superhero game I've played(Freedom Force still wins out for best comic-based game).

I've been playing on 360 but I might end up buying it on PS3 to try the joker rooms, as it sounds like they really put a decent amount of work into it.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:08 PM   #627
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
Definitely the best licensed superhero game I've played(Freedom Force still wins out for best comic-based game).

I've been playing on 360 but I might end up buying it on PS3 to try the joker rooms, as it sounds like they really put a decent amount of work into it.

Agreed that is clearly the best licensed superhero game I've ever played. I loved Freedom Force as well. Anyone know if they are working on any further sequels to Freedom Force? I remember the 1st sequel and was surprised that no others ever came out.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:11 PM   #628
RainMaker
General Manager

I think I'll pick it up. Will tide me over till the 1st patch comes out for Madden.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:31 PM   #629
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Agreed that is clearly the best licensed superhero game I've ever played. I loved Freedom Force as well. Anyone know if they are working on any further sequels to Freedom Force? I remember the 1st sequel and was surprised that no others ever came out.

No plans to make a new Freedom Force game that I know of. However, there's a rumor that the developer (2K Boston) is working a new X-Com game.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #630
Calis
College Starter

Quote:

Yeah one of my favorite series of all-time. There were some great mods put out by the community as well to bring in DC/Marvel heroes. Good times.

Yeah, as said there are no plans and I'd be surprised if it ever happens. I've heard Ken Levine on podcasts and apparently the games sold horrendously. I remember one time he was on the Games for Windows podcast a few years back and they mocked him because the Freedom Force cover they put out was the lowest selling issue of all-time for them.

Definitely an overlooked gem.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:18 PM   #631
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Quote:
I think I'll pick it up. Will tide me over till the 1st patch comes out for Madden.
Any word on this yet?

As far as Batman goes, I'm enjoying it a lot. My obsessive completionist side comes out trying to find all the crazy riddler puzzles and the story and atmostphere are very well done.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:27 PM   #632
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

No word on the patch as of yesterday. Apparently, the developers delayed the 1st patch to squeeze in a few fixes such as the holding on field goals.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #633
RainMaker
General Manager

If it's out by the start of the season I'll be happy.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:56 PM   #634
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Any word on this yet?

As far as Batman goes, I'm enjoying it a lot. My obsessive completionist side comes out trying to find all the crazy riddler puzzles and the story and atmostphere are very well done.

Same here. With my search for all of the puzzles and other extras I'm quite positive this game is going to get much more than 10-12 hours out of me on the 1st run through. Speaking of which, I'm hoping someone can help me with the following riddle in the Arkham East area - "Gotham's greatest family towers over the City". I believe I know the right location, but I'm having a heck of a time figuring out the right place/angle to use for the environment analysis:

Spoiler
Old 08-29-2009, 06:08 PM   #635
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Same here. With my search for all of the puzzles and other extras I'm quite positive this game is going to get much more than 10-12 hours out of me on the 1st run through. Speaking of which, I'm hoping someone can help me with the following riddle in the Arkham East area - "Gotham's greatest family towers over the City". I believe I know the right location, but I'm having a heck of a time figuring out the right place/angle to use for the environment analysis:

Spoiler

Spoiler

(I don't have the game, was just watching a video "Let's Play"
Old 08-29-2009, 06:17 PM   #636
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Thanks Fozzie. Didn't want to read/watch a walkthrough and risk seeing clues to other riddles.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:18 PM   #637
Malificent
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Spoiler

Spoiler

This game is so many shades of awesome. Easily my game of the year so far.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #638
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

One other question. Does anyone know if you can eventually get back into the intensive treatment area after you leave it? I'm assuming so as there was at least one or two things that were completely inaccessible in there without upgrades, but I just want to make sure before I get too far ahead as I forgot to do some of the riddles in there.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #639
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
One other question. Does anyone know if you can eventually get back into the intensive treatment area after you leave it? I'm assuming so as there was at least one or two things that were completely inaccessible in there without upgrades, but I just want to make sure before I get too far ahead as I forgot to do some of the riddles in there.

Yep, I assume I'm just a little further than you. I just left there and ended up circling around to go back in. I think you can come and go.

I think I read somewhere that when the game is over you can actually free roam a bit and catch anything you missed, so I wouldn't worry too much. I'm behind on a lot of the riddles myself, some of them are pretty tricky. Really enjoying them.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:52 AM   #640
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Spoiler

heh-that was my guess and I haven't even thought about getting the game yet.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:57 AM   #641
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Has there ever been a game like Fallout3 or GTA where you're a superhero? If not, that really needs to happen.

I guess it'd be a single player City of Heroes. If done correctly, though, it'd be fuckin amazing. Like have a variety of mentors throughout the game available. Depending on which one you latch onto, you develop your powers.

Also numerous random traumas that could effect what type of character/villian you become.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:59 AM   #642
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
heh-that was my guess and I haven't even thought about getting the game yet.

Yeah, in retrospect, that should have been much easier than it was.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:51 AM   #643
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I woke up this morning with an itch to play some more Batman!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #644
Ironhead
College Prospect

I rented Batman on Tuesday and finished the story mode mid-day on Saturday. I definitely didn't rush through it either as I solved at least 3/4 of the Riddler puzzles. If I had the money to blow I would love to own the game if only to finish all of the riddles and occasionally get some fighting in. For gamers on a budget I would say definitely rent the game and enjoy it as much as possible while you have it.

Overall just a really fun game. I wish the story would have gone in a slightly different direction but I still think it is one of the 5 best Xbox 360 games I have played.

Some of my Likes and dislikes about the game, in no particular order:
Spoiler

Last edited by Ironhead : 08-30-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #645
rowech
Pro Starter

Can the Rock Band games be played with the guitars from Guitar Hero? I haven't purchased the Rock Band set of guitars/drums/mic but would like to buy the Beatles Rock Band game if I could at least play the guitar parts with my Guitar Hero guitars. (I have two)
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #646
spleen1015
Coordinator

On the 360, GH guitars work with RB.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #647
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Has there ever been a game like Fallout3 or GTA where you're a superhero? If not, that really needs to happen.

I guess it'd be a single player City of Heroes. If done correctly, though, it'd be fuckin amazing. Like have a variety of mentors throughout the game available. Depending on which one you latch onto, you develop your powers.

Also numerous random traumas that could effect what type of character/villian you become.

inFamous on the PS3 is kind of like that. You're a superhero of sorts that can choose good or bad actions which effect your abilities and how people treat you. It's open ended and the mission structure is similar to GTA. Sort of like Fallout 3 as you gain experience points that allows you to upgrade abilities.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #648
Voo
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Can the Rock Band games be played with the guitars from Guitar Hero? I haven't purchased the Rock Band set of guitars/drums/mic but would like to buy the Beatles Rock Band game if I could at least play the guitar parts with my Guitar Hero guitars. (I have two)

Instrument Compatibility // Rock BandŽ
Voo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:42 PM   #649
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
On the 360, GH guitars work with RB.

It works on the PS3 as well. It was patched a few months ago.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:23 PM   #650
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Nice little surprise here. A full upgrade of God of War I and II for the PS3 on one BR disc. MSRP of $39.99.

God of War Collection – Blu-ray Disc Compilation Available This Holiday Season! – PlayStation.Blog

Quote:
SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT AMERICA ANNOUNCES
GOD OF WARŽ COLLECTION, A NEW COMPILATION OFFERING FOR PLAYSTATIONŽ3
Exclusive God of WarŽ and God of WarŽ II Blu-ray Disc Compilation
Available This Holiday Season

FOSTER CITY, Calif., September 1, 2009 – Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) announced today a new and exclusive PlayStationŽ3 (PS3™) offering for the critically acclaimed God of WarŽ franchise, God of WarŽ Collection. Scheduled for release this holiday season, God of War Collection will feature reworked versions of both God of WarŽ and God of WarŽ II on a single Blu-ray Disc™ at full 1280 x 720 resolution. Both critically acclaimed games, which were originally developed for the PlayStationŽ2 computer entertainment system, have been remastered with anti-aliased graphics running at 60 frames per second for a smooth gameplay experience on the PS3 system. Additionally, the Blu-ray Disc compilation will bring PlayStationŽNetwork (PSN) trophy support to the franchise for the first time (included for both games). God of War Collection offers substantial value to PS3 consumers, the compilation of both best-selling games costing just $39.99 MSRP.

Developed by Sony Computer Entertainment, Santa Monica Studio, the God of War series brings epic mythological battles to life with stunning graphics and an elaborate plot that puts Kratos, the triology’s main character, at the center of carnage and destruction as he seeks revenge against the Gods who have betrayed him. God of WarŽ III is scheduled for release exclusively on the PS3 in March 2010.

“We are excited today to announce God of War Collection,” said Scott Rohde, vice president, Worldwide Studios America. “Our fans spoke and we listened; thanks to our partnership with Bluepoint Games, fans and newcomers to the series can experience the epic God of War and God of War II saga in stunning 720p on PS3. This Blu-ray Disc compilation brings Kratos to PS3 even earlier than expected.”