Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #601
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't think Derek Anderson is as bad as he was last season. Should be a solid signing for Arizona.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:10 PM   #602
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
I work with a guy who use to golf with Arnie (and do some business with him on the side) for an extended period of time. I've heard quite a few inside stories involving him, and with that knowledge, I wouldn't doubt for a second that he went ballistic on Big Ben if the rest of the story is true.
Which story is true? There are already like five or six in this thread where Arnie goes ballistic on Ben, including this one:

I heard Ben once changed the channel on the TV in the clubhouse, switching away from "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" to "Wheel of Fortune." As Fred Rogers is a Latrobe legend, Arnie got pissed and threw Ben out.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #603
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I don't think Derek Anderson is as bad as he was last season. Should be a solid signing for Arizona.

I can only hope he can't be as bad as he was last season. Not thrilled with the signing, but they needed a backup/injury replacement for Leinart, so I guess he fills the bill there.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #604
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I can only hope he can't be as bad as he was last season. Not thrilled with the signing, but they needed a backup/injury replacement for Leinart, so I guess he fills the bill there.

Well, we'll find out soon enough won't we?
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #605
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So Charlie Whitehurst costs 10 mil, moving down 20 spots in the 2nd round and giving up a 2011 3rd. Nice.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #606
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
So Charlie Whitehurst costs 10 mil, moving down 20 spots in the 2nd round and giving up a 2011 3rd. Nice.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #607
Travis
Pro Rookie

Interesting theory on the switch down in 2nd rounders is that the Seahawks may tender a 2nd round RFA offer so the draft position won't matter to them. Still not sure it makes me like the deal any better, but at least it could be something.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:59 PM   #608
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I thought you had to have your own 2nd rounder in order to tender an offer sheet to a guy.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #609
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I hope he starts. The NFL is so much better with some weekly Rex Grossman hilarity.

bronconick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #610
Swaggs
Coordinator

Comp picks have been announced.

Anyone know who the three third round teams lost in FA?

I thought the Steelers might get something a little better for losing Nate Washington and Bryant McFadden, but I'm guessing the two fifth rounders were for those guys.

Quote:
ROUND CHOICE-
ROUND OVERALL SELECTION TEAM

3 33-96 Cincinnati
3 34-97 Tennessee
3 35-98 Atlanta
4 33-131 Cincinnati
5 33-164 Pittsburgh
5 34-165 Atlanta
5 35-166 Pittsburgh
5 36-167 Minnesota
5 37-168 San Diego
5 38-169 Green Bay
6 33-202 Carolina
6 34-203 Jacksonville
6 35-204 Carolina
6 36-205 New England
6 37-206 San Francisco
6 38-207 Tennessee
7 33-240 Indianapolis
7 34-241 Tennessee
7 35-242 Pittsburgh
7 36-243 Philadelphia
7 37-244 Philadelphia
7 38-245 Seattle
7 39-246 Indianapolis
7 40-247 New England
7 41-248 New England
7 42-249 Carolina
7 43-250 New England
7 44-251 Oakland
7 45-252 Miami
7 46-253 Tampa Bay
7 47-254 St. Louis
7 48-255 Detroit
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:42 PM   #611
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Cincy would be Housmanzadah I guess...
Tenn would be Albert Haynesworth
Atlanta.... ? Keith Brooking?
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:01 PM   #612
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Atlanta would be that corner that the raiders cut in the midseason I think. Hall? Brookins was cut.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:39 AM   #613
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Cincinnati is actually Stacy Andrews for the 3rd and Fitzpatrick for the 4th. Housh and Coles canceled each other out.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #614
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Police: Dolphins RB Ronnie Brown charged with DUI *| ajc.com

Dolphins RB Ronnie Brown arrested for DUI over the weekend, about 430am Saturday. His mama says it was just cause he was a black man driving an expensive car
Old 03-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #615
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Atlanta would be that corner that the raiders cut in the midseason I think. Hall? Brookins was cut.

Falcons awarded two compensatory draft picks (update) | Atlanta Falcons

AJC says based on contract size & playing time, the 3rd rounder was likely Dominique Foxworth (to Baltimore) and the 5th rounder was likely Michael Boley (to NYG). Brooking & Grady Jackson were believed to have been a wash versus signing LB Mike Peterson & C Brett Romberg.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:17 AM   #616
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Police: Dolphins RB Ronnie Brown charged with DUI *| ajc.com

Dolphins RB Ronnie Brown arrested for DUI over the weekend, about 430am Saturday. His mama says it was just cause he was a black man driving an expensive car

I wish these idiots would just spring for a personal driver. Very disappointing that he did this.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #617
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

I had no idea who Charlie Whitehurst even was before this happened. I saw some headlines about Whitehurst going to the Seahawks and thought he was just some sort of GM/football operations type guy, not an actual player.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 03-23-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:43 AM   #618
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I wish these idiots would just spring for a personal driver. Very disappointing that he did this.

Even better, a combo driver/common-sense guy. Pay him $100,000 per year to be your 24/7 on-call driver. He will also give you random advice as he drives you places. Things like "Why don't you leave the gun in the car with me instead of taking it into the club?" Or "Maybe going to this college bar at 3AM isn't the smartest thing for a recognizable athlete to do. You wanna hit Waffle House instead?" Or "Don't forget tomorrow is your mistress's birthday. You have to remember to get her nice enough presents so that it won't be to her advantage to sell you out to TMZ." Or "Remember to never text anyone anything except your agent, your wife, and your mom."

It would be the best $100k most of these guys ever spent. Hell, you could also have the guy sign up as one of those internet ministers so that anything you told him would be protected under the priest/penitent privilege.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #619
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Even better, a combo driver/common-sense guy. Pay him $100,000 per year to be your 24/7 on-call driver. He will also give you random advice as he drives you places. Things like "Why don't you leave the gun in the car with me instead of taking it into the club?" Or "Maybe going to this college bar at 3AM isn't the smartest thing for a recognizable athlete to do. You wanna hit Waffle House instead?" Or "Don't forget tomorrow is your mistress's birthday. You have to remember to get her nice enough presents so that it won't be to her advantage to sell you out to TMZ." Or "Remember to never text anyone anything except your agent, your wife, and your mom."

It would be the best $100k most of these guys ever spent. Hell, you could also have the guy sign up as one of those internet ministers so that anything you told him would be protected under the priest/penitent privilege.

Didn't the Cowboys try that with Pacman, with it resulting in the two getting into a late night/early morning fistfight in the hotel lobby?
Old 03-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #620
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Shit 100k a year? I'll do it for 50.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #621
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The Saints did not match the Eagles' offer sheet to Mike Bell, so he is now an Eagle.

Good pick-up for Philadelphia, I think, as long as they know what they are getting. Bell runs between the tackles, but he has an upright style, so he seems to get a lot of nagging injuries. He is not, IMO, a guy that you can count on for 200+ carries a year. (He had 172 carries for 654 yards last season).

But, to get a guy who can help you grind out the clock in the 4th quarter and maybe be the man for a game or two while your starter is injured? I think he does really well in that role. 150 carries for 600 yards as RB2? He can get that easily behind a good line.

Good move by the Eagles getting him w/o giving up any draft picks.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 03-24-2010 at 03:26 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #622
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I agree, that is a real good pick up for philly.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:18 PM   #623
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think hiring a ex-special forces guy for 100k per year would be a good move for some of these guys.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #624
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Or they could buy 100 decent hookers. It's a toss up.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #625
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
The Saints did not match the Eagles' offer sheet to Mike Bell, so he is now an Eagle.

Good pick-up for Philadelphia, I think, as long as they know what they are getting. Bell runs between the tackles, but he has an upright style, so he seems to get a lot of nagging injuries. He is not, IMO, a guy that you can count on for 200+ carries a year. (He had 172 carries for 654 yards last season).

But, to get a guy who can help you grind out the clock in the 4th quarter and maybe be the man for a game or two while your starter is injured? I think he does really well in that role. 150 carries for 600 yards as RB2? He can get that easily behind a good line.

Good move by the Eagles getting him w/o giving up any draft picks.

Agreed, as soon as the eagles put the offer on Bell I knew he was gone- he was a good player, but with the nagging injuries and being the # 3 back here I knew we'd let him walk. I'm kind of wondering if he was in Payton's dog house for the 2nd half of the season, he had some nagging injuries but he was healthy at the end and still saw very little action- add in the cleat moment in the superbowl and I'm surprised we even tendered him.

For us Lynell Hamilton will step in and be a solid replacement, for the Eagles Bell will be a solid # 2 / grinder. And can be the man for a couple games if he needed to be like he was early in the season for the Saints.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:46 PM   #626
cuervo72
Head Coach

In other Eagles news, McNabb trade talks apparently heating up:

McNabb to the Rams "not yet completed" | Philadelphia Inquirer | 03/24/2010
Old 03-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #627
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Anything higher than a 3rd, it's a no brainer.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:08 PM   #628
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I think we'll see just how good McNabb really is when the Eagles try to move on without him.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:09 PM   #629
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Seems like a bad time for the discussions to leak. The Rams lose quite a bit of leverage on trading 1.1(which should be Bradford in a no brainer). Plus they don't have McNabb yet and risk getting out bid.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #630
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I don't follow any of the draft news, but now Bradford is supposed to be the #1 pick? I thought it was supposed to be a defensive lineman. I guess we'll hear next week that Tim Tebow or Seton Hill WR Sammy Tranks is a lock at #1.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:01 PM   #631
Swaggs
Coordinator

A lot of this depends on how many more years of productive football do we think McNabb has left? St. Louis has a crappy line that has nearly killed Bulger over the years. Would you rather have 4-5 years of McNabb + Suh, go with Bradford + some OL help in the early second, or maybe roll the dice on Suh + someone like McCoy?

I think either of the second two options are more desirable and think I'd go with Suh + McCoy and let McCoy develop for a year or two while bringing in more o-linemen.

I wouldn't mind bringing Bulger into Pittsburgh, if he would play for the veteran minimum. I know he is from Pittsburgh, so it might be worth a look with Batch getting old/fragile and Dixon still somewhat of a question mark.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:49 AM   #632
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

it's bs apparently

my guess is someone in philly's fo manufactured the story and fed it to the press to get another team to do something compulsive, like

philly gm: how about asomugha and your first?
al davis: uhhhh....
philly gm: look al, we've got an offer from stl that we're ready to move on.

(story leaks)

al davis: ok ok!
philly gm: we're gonna need michael bush too
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:01 AM   #633
RedKingGold
College Starter

wassup wit dat?
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:22 AM   #634
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

sup with what? using the media to influence trade negotiations? that's par for the course in every sport, no?

i'm all for it. as a cuse fan i became an eagles fan by default. i respect their fo but hate their fans/media. this is a town that ran mike schmidt out on a rail and threw battery laced snowballs at santa claus. they'd trade jesus if he was in the last year of his contract.

i hope he lands on his feet but it's not looking to promising. you can't fault the eagles for trying to get max value but if they had moved him soooner he could have went to the cardinals which would have been a nice fit. at this point the best he can hope for is denver.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:28 AM   #635
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
and threw battery laced snowballs at santa claus.

Now they threw battery laced snowballs? This story gets better as time goes on.

PS - Mike Schmidt played his entire career with the Phillies and is now part of their organization. He even coached one of their minor league teams for a portion of a year. He was not run out of town.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 03-25-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:42 AM   #636
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah. They booed Santa Claus and threw batteries at JD Drew. Not in snow balls, that would have just cushioned the impact.

Get your story straight, Philly fans don't deserve their stigma!

Old 03-25-2010, 07:47 AM   #637
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Yeah. They booed Santa Claus and threw batteries at JD Drew. Not in snow balls, that would have just cushioned the impact.

Get your story straight, Philly fans don't deserve their stigma!

I know the history and was merely joking at the fact that not only were there snowballs thrown at santa claus (which there were), now the story has grown that there were batteries in them.

And fuck JD Drew.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:51 AM   #638
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
You're trying your damndest, you strike out and they boo you. I act like it doesn't bother me, like I don't hear anything the fans say, but the truth is I hear every word of it and it kills me.

i still remember his retirement. a really emotional day. not a dry eye in the house... in san diego.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:51 AM   #639
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I'll go on record to say that I hope the Eagles never trade McNabb. The guy is a class act and took the team to the conference finals when he had zero...no supporting cast. He never throws any of his teammates under the bus (even TO), and rarely if ever says anything about the organization.

He is not without his faults but I think he still gives the Eagles the best shot at winning, now and in the future. At least let him ride out this contract and go from there. Please trade Vick for any pick you can get and Kolb will be an RFA that you can match any offer to (I believe).

I feel that if the Eagles trade McNabb, all the haters will be happy but they will not realize what they had till it is gone.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #640
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
i still remember his retirement. a really emotional day. not a dry eye in the house... in san diego.
shit just got real
Old 03-25-2010, 08:05 AM   #641
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah it had nothing to do with Schmidt trying to play the season, realizing early he couldn't, and retired in San Diego where by the way the Phillies were playing at the time.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #642
RedKingGold
College Starter

Norv Turner just put that shit into Overtime
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:40 AM   #643
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Yeah it had nothing to do with Schmidt trying to play the season, realizing early he couldn't, and retired in San Diego where by the way the Phillies were playing at the time.

right, because waiting and calling a press conference in philly would be like

schmidt: today (sob) i'm announcing my retirement

reporter#1: we moved von hayes to left for this f*g?

reporter #2: booooooooooooo

reporter #3: throws battery
Old 03-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #644
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
right, because waiting and calling a press conference in philly would be like

schmidt: today (sob) i'm announcing my retirement

reporter#1: we moved von hayes to left for this f*g?

reporter #2: booooooooooooo

reporter #3: throws battery

LMAO
Old 03-25-2010, 08:53 AM   #645
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

Football Outsiders

Don't expect a Super Bowl run
"Derek Anderson had three excellent games in the first half of 2007, against the Bengals, Dolphins, and Rams. In those three games, he completed 67 percent of his passes for 821 yards, 11 touchdowns, and one interception. Take out those three games, and he has been a replacement-level quarterback for four years now. Last year was his worst season, as he finished 42nd out of 46 quarterbacks in Football Outsiders' DYAR stats (minimum 100 passes). He's a low completion-rate, low TD/INT ratio passer who is capable of a brief hot flash but is really nothing more than a backup. He wouldn't lead Seattle back to the playoffs, and if he ends up in Arizona, don't expect him to come off the bench and lead the Cardinals to the playoffs if Matt Leinart falters early." - Aaron Schatz
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #646
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Aw, shit. NorvTurnerOverdrive just played the Von Hayes card.

Your move, Sak.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:35 AM   #647
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Aw, shit. NorvTurnerOverdrive just played the Von Hayes card.

Your move, Sak.

Can I borrow Colin White?
Old 03-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #648
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Football Outsiders

Don't expect a Super Bowl run
"Derek Anderson had three excellent games in the first half of 2007, against the Bengals, Dolphins, and Rams. In those three games, he completed 67 percent of his passes for 821 yards, 11 touchdowns, and one interception. Take out those three games, and he has been a replacement-level quarterback for four years now. Last year was his worst season, as he finished 42nd out of 46 quarterbacks in Football Outsiders' DYAR stats (minimum 100 passes). He's a low completion-rate, low TD/INT ratio passer who is capable of a brief hot flash but is really nothing more than a backup. He wouldn't lead Seattle back to the playoffs, and if he ends up in Arizona, don't expect him to come off the bench and lead the Cardinals to the playoffs if Matt Leinart falters early." - Aaron Schatz

I realize the in depth statistical analysis is going to destroy any opinion I have of Anderson. I just see a QB who was absolutely victimized by Braylon Edwards in 2009, and by the other receivers.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:02 AM   #649
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Can I borrow Colin White?
You can keep him.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #650
stevew
Hall Of Famer

found this on some website

Quote:
If the season changed on one play, it was Nov. 2 in a game against Baltimore on a deep pass from Derek Anderson to Edwards down the middle with 12:36 left. The Ravens had scored back-to-back touchdowns to tie the game, 27-27. Had Edwards caught the ball, it would have gone for a 77-yard touchdown and momentum would have been back with the Browns, but he dropped it, right through his hands like grains of sand, and the next day Crennel dropped Anderson as the starting quarterback.

The Browns were 3-4 before losing to the Ravens. They won just once more.

I'm not a Browns fan, but I was at this game. I know it's just one play, but that's the type of shit I think destroyed Anderson.