Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-29-2008, 10:45 AM   #601
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
Heh. I was at the game tonight...just brutal officiating.

Sabres had to beat two opponents tonight

It was just downright ugly. However, it's been pretty bad for most of the season. I really haven't seen the other teams play, so I haven't seen how poorly those games are officiated.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:52 AM   #602
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
It was just downright ugly. However, it's been pretty bad for most of the season. I really haven't seen the other teams play, so I haven't seen how poorly those games are officiated.

Mike Babcock has said all year that when a team goes up two goals they miraculously start commiting a lot of penalties.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:45 AM   #603
bhlloy
Coordinator

It's ok, the Ducks miraculously commit a lot of penalties whatever the score is

(that's mostly tongue in cheek - Ducks are undoubtedly a very undisciplined team, but there are also a lot of reputation only calls I've seen so far this year, and some horrendous no calls as well)
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #604
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post

Have you seen the Pens powerplay? I think the officials were actually helping you.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:55 PM   #605
samifan24
Pro Starter

How 'bout those Bruins!!! What a run!!!
Old 11-30-2008, 02:15 PM   #606
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Malkin and Crosby now 1-2 in the scoring race. I know it's early, but I can't see either falling off much.

Last time teammates finished 1-2 for the Hart...96-97, Pittsburgh again.

I get we still aren't a 1/3 of the way through the season, but any worries of a Finals hangover are gone. And they are doing this without 2 of their top 4 D, and Fleury missing 2 weeks.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:38 PM   #607
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
How 'bout those Bruins!!! What a run!!!

Agreed! What a month for the B's!
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:39 PM   #608
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
Agreed! What a month for the B's!

They've got nothin' on the Sharks
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:12 PM   #609
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Lucky win for the Ducks this afternoon that easily could have been 4-1 Chicago but Hiller got lucky and got the shutout win. Nice to see us play with some discipline (2 minors) for once.

I don't see any way they can send Bobby Ryan back down with the way he's playing. He's really buying into the system and had 2 or 3 crushing hits, and a nice forechecking play that led to the only goal. In fact, he looked like the best player out there today. Good stuff for a kid who has all the tools to be one of the top 10 forwards in the game. Getzlaf-Perry-Ryan is a line with ridiculous upside.

They won't send Ryan down again, unless he goes on some Gawd-awful pointless streak. They don't have to send him down for cap reasons anymore (or at least not much) because Beauchemin's injury gives them some sal cap relief. Although they did send down both Ryan and Festerling for a few days this past week in between games to save salary hits against the cap (just to Bakersfield, so they were on quick recall--in fact, I'll bet they didn't even leave Anaheim).

Good win for the Ducks today in Carolina. Now a franchise record eight straight point road game point streak. Wish we were more consistent at home.

BTW, bhlloy, you hear anything more on this weird Jiggy situation? I see he's back now. I have been out of town for the holiday, so I didn't hear a thing about it until I got back in today (or not much, at least).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:27 PM   #610
bhlloy
Coordinator

Haven't heard a thing. The way Hiller has been playing certainly helps... I think he's going to be a really good goalie for a long time.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:45 PM   #611
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I love HNiC's Satellite Hot Stove. I pretty much record both HNiC games every Saturday night. I watch the games on Sunday morning. I typically just fast-forward through the games, watch the highlights, and then watch all the between period stuff because I enjoy Coach's Corner, the Hot Stove, and Kelly Hrudey (who is probably the best analyst on the show) talk about minor details of seemingly random, totally inconsequential break out plays.

As for the Hot Stove, I really hate Al Strachan and Mike Milbury. Milbury sits there like the smuggest SOB in the room and can't help thinking: "You're Mike Milbury! You were one of the worst GMs ever. Everything you're saying has to be wrong!

As for the Wings, there are a couple of slightly irritating trends.

First, their defensive play and goaltending still haven't been that sound. I can't recall the last time Osgood let in fewer than 3 goals and he was beaten by a shot from the red line in Columbus on Friday. While the Wings won that game, that's the kind of nonsense that happened with Osgood 1.0. Osgood 2.0 - the goalie we've seen since his return to the Wings - really didn't let that kind of stuff in. He really isn't making timely saves at all.

This has led to problem number two. The Wings have been having a very difficult time maintaining leads. They have given up a number of 2 or 3 goal leads in games. The worse was against Pittsburgh a few weeks ago.

Speaking of Pittsburgh, this is problem number 3. The latest troubling trend has been the Wings' play against the other "top" teams in the league. Over the last 2 years, despite the common misconception, the Wings had always faired very well against the better teams in the league. Their record was much better outside of the Central Division than within, despite the fact that the Central was full of bottom feeders like St. Louis, Columbus, and Chicago (until this year). The Wings lost to the other top teams in the West - Anaheim, San Jose - and all the top teams in the East - Pittsburgh, Montreal, and Boston. They lost in overtime against Anaheim and Pittsburgh (but that Pitt game was awful, they were out shot 16-8 in the third period). San Jose pretty much blew them out and Montreal and Boston each won by a few goals.

The Wings have had a tough schedule and it's certainly not panic time, but I would really like to see them compete better against the top teams in the league. They have an opportunity to start tonight with the Ducks in town. They also need to stop relying so heavily on their offense and power play.

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #612
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I love HNiC's Satellite Hot Stove. I pretty much record both HNiC games every Saturday night. I watch the games on Sunday morning. I typically just fast-forward through the games, watch the highlights, and then watch all the between period stuff because I enjoy Coach's Corner, the Hot Stove, and Kelly Hrudey (who is probably the best analyst on the show) talk about minor details of seemingly random, totally inconsequential break out plays.

As for the Hot Stove, I really hate Al Strachan and Mike Milbury. Milbury sits there like the smuggest SOB in the room and can't help thinking: "You're Mike Milbury! You were one of the worst GMs ever. Everything you're saying has to be wrong!

As for the Wings, there are a couple of slightly irritating trends.

First, their defensive play and goaltending still haven't been that sound. I can't recall the last time Osgood let in fewer than 3 goals and he was beaten by a shot from the red line in Columbus on Friday. While the Wings won that game, that's the kind of nonsense that happened with Osgood 1.0. Osgood 2.0 - the goalie we've seen since his return to the Wings - really didn't let that kind of stuff in. He really isn't making timely saves at all.

This has led to problem number two. The Wings have been having a very difficult time maintaining leads. They have given up a number of 2 or 3 goal leads in games. The worse was against Pittsburgh a few weeks ago.

Speaking of Pittsburgh, this is problem number 3. The latest troubling trend has been the Wings' play against the other "top" teams in the league. Over the last 2 years, despite the common misconception, the Wings had always faired very well against the better teams in the league. Their record was much better outside of the Central Division than within, despite the fact that the Central was full of bottom feeders like St. Louis, Columbus, and Chicago (until this year). The Wings lost to the other top teams in the West - Anaheim, San Jose - and all the top teams in the East - Pittsburgh, Montreal, and Boston. They lost in overtime against Anaheim and Pittsburgh (but that Pitt game was awful, they were out shot 16-8 in the third period). San Jose pretty much blew them out and Montreal and Boston each won by a few goals.

The Wings have had a tough schedule and it's certainly not panic time, but I would really like to see them compete better against the top teams in the league. They have an opportunity to start tonight with the Ducks in town. They also need to stop relying so heavily on their offense and power play.

I think you're in my head on both of your major points here. Milbury is a disaster. Why CBC thinks they need a guy like him to drag the level of their coverage down is beyond me. Milbury was bad on NBC and he's just as bad north of the border. I can't figure out how the guy has a job.

I haven't had a chance to see the Wings too much this year, but it seems Conklin has been getting a decent amount of playing time. Is this because Osgood has been struggling? Or is Babcock rotating goalies to save minutes for the playoffs? Like you say, it is still pretty early in the season, but Holland might have some thinking to do in the next few months. Would they dare put one of the potential FAs out there as trade bait to try get a top tier goalie? I don't know who, if anyone, would be available, but the Wings' existing situation could be better.

I'd love to see Versus swap Col/Min for Ana/Det tonight. Pretty much anything Jacques Lemaire touches turns to zzzzzzz.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:57 PM   #613
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Aren't the Wings still the consensus #2 in the West behind SJ?

They are having the season I expected out of the Pens-- good enough, just not great. Make the playoffs, have everyone healthy, when the games are important.

Have the Wings really been severely outplayed in many (any?) games so far?

I can see where Osgood might be a worry, but he's typically been efficient, if not great. He makes the key saves.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:14 PM   #614
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
[size=2]I love HNiC's Satellite Hot Stove. I pretty much record both HNiC games every Saturday night. I watch the games on Sunday morning. I typically just fast-forward through the games, watch the highlights, and then watch all the between period stuff because I enjoy Coach's Corner, the Hot Stove, and Kelly Hrudey (who is probably the best analyst on the show) talk about minor details of seemingly random, totally inconsequential break out plays.

Yeah, I'm the same way with Milbury. I loved when TSN had him AND Bobby Clarke together - man, what a joke. Strachan is a grumpy old man who seems to hate everything about the NHL. His schtick is entertaining, though, and it's worth pointing out that he was dead right on Melrose. Still, I'd much prefer Morrison, Duhatschek and Lebrun - 3 guys who have a brain and don't feel a need to pimp themselves.

in the same vein, how on earth did PJ Stock get hired? and how does he keep his job?

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 12-01-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:45 PM   #615
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
in the same vein, how on earth did PJ Stock get hired? and how does he keep his job?

I don't know about PJ Stock the broadcaster but he was a hell of a fighter.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #616
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Aren't the Wings still the consensus #2 in the West behind SJ?

They are having the season I expected out of the Pens-- good enough, just not great. Make the playoffs, have everyone healthy, when the games are important.

I would say they are. I don't think anyone has quite taken over that spot. The playoffs are certainly the key, but some of these are trends I've seen during the regular season - that I didn't see too much of last year. His defense is a bit to blame. There have been a lot more turnovers and a lot more stretches of the Wings running around in their own end.

Quote:
Have the Wings really been severely outplayed in many (any?) games so far?

Not really. They are still out shooting pretty much everyone, though the are allowing a lot more shots against then in the past. The third period against Pittsburgh really stands out as the one of the few times I've really seen the Wings' dominated. I think Pittsburgh out shot Detroit 16-8, or something, in that period. It's pretty rare the Wings get out shot and I cant' recall the last time they were out shot so badly.

Quote:
I can see where Osgood might be a worry, but he's typically been efficient, if not great. He makes the key saves.

That sums up Osgood nicely, but he's really slipped in the "key save" department. He just hasn't been making the "key saves" during games this year. That where he was strongest throughout last year's playoffs, this year has been the opposite. He just hasn't been there when the Wings have really needed him.

I still have faith in Osgood. He won two Cups. It's hard to ask for more.

Conklin was getting more playing time becuase of Osgood's struggles. Conklin has looked great at times and not so great at others. He let in 3 goals on 9 shots against Boston.

It's not panic time at all and the "problems" the Wings have been having are nothing too serious at this point. Their record is still great and that's enough for now.

I don't think the Wings will try to make a move in net. I think they will be comfortable with Osgood/Conklin. Even if they were to try and move a forward, I don't think there are any goalies, who would fit within the Wings' salary structure, and are really that much better than Osgood, have more playoff experience, and a better playoff record.

The Wings made their move in July signing Hossa. I'd be really surprised if they made any kind of trade this year, outside of something on the very fringes of their roster.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 12-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #617
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I have no idea. He's really not very good at doing highlights. That said, I like him. He seems personable enough locked away in his bubble.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:12 PM   #618
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I have no idea. He's really not very good at doing highlights. That said, I like him. He seems personable enough locked away in his bubble.

Exactly...he's personable and I could see myself sitting down and having a beer with the guy while most of the clowns in broadcasting are sellouts...stiff, boring, and dry guys who read the teleprompter word for word for highlights when I think it should come, somewhat, off the cuff.

Ron MacLean is the perfect example of the kind of guy I want running the show...knowledgeable, sharp wit, and willing to ask the tough question without being a douchebag about it. Now, I know you can't have a whole panel of guys like that, but he should be the model.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:50 PM   #619
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Exactly...he's personable and I could see myself sitting down and having a beer with the guy while most of the clowns in broadcasting are sellouts...stiff, boring, and dry guys who read the teleprompter word for word for highlights when I think it should come, somewhat, off the cuff.

Ron MacLean is the perfect example of the kind of guy I want running the show...knowledgeable, sharp wit, and willing to ask the tough question without being a douchebag about it. Now, I know you can't have a whole panel of guys like that, but he should be the model.

I agree 100% on everything you've said here. At first I couldn't understand why PJ had gotten the job, but he grew on me really quickly. He officially had me sold last season when he made fun of a couple of guys who got 'left hanging' when looking for high-fives after goals, it absolutely killed me.

As for MacLean, he is one of a kind, and the CBC should never, ever let him go. I don't care if they have to give him his own territory or maybe even a province.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:00 PM   #620
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
As for MacLean, he is one of a kind, and the CBC should never, ever let him go. I don't care if they have to give him his own territory or maybe even a province.

Agreed on MacLean. He is a perfect combination of smart, humble, witty, and knowledgeable. He is an excellent interviewer. The short speech he made during the Olympics when his mom died was a genuine and touching a moment you'll ever see on live TV.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:09 PM   #621
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

If Osgood got to start against the Ducks every night, he would be a combination of Roy-Hasek-Sawchuk come again. When the Ducks come to town, he must be whistling all freakin' day.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:20 PM   #622
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
If Osgood got to start against the Ducks every night, he would be a combination of Roy-Hasek-Sawchuk come again. When the Ducks come to town, he must be whistling all freakin' day.

Ozzie was solid tonight. It certainly didn't hurt that the Wings out shot the Ducks 202-4 or something along those lines.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:29 PM   #623
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Agreed on MacLean. He is a perfect combination of smart, humble, witty, and knowledgeable. He is an excellent interviewer. The short speech he made during the Olympics when his mom died was a genuine and touching a moment you'll ever see on live TV.

I won't deny it, I couldn't even choke back the tears when I saw that.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:48 PM   #624
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ozzie was solid tonight. It certainly didn't hurt that the Wings out shot the Ducks 202-4 or something along those lines.

True, which wasn't helped by the Ducks having to play against the Canes yesterday afternoon and then flying a 1000 miles in the same time zone or whatever to play tonight. Would have been nice to steal a point tonight, since you guys pretty much stole a point from us in Anaheim last month.

But there's nothing more of a guarantee than Osgood against the Ducks at Joe Louis. You can count on that shit like the sun rising. The guy must have a Wild Wing stuffed doll with some voodoo sticks and psychedelic incense hidden in his locker. He would probably use it on more teams, but my guess is Chelios steals the incense to help make the pain go away.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 12-01-2008 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:09 AM   #625
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
I'd love to see Versus swap Col/Min for Ana/Det tonight. Pretty much anything Jacques Lemaire touches turns to zzzzzzz.

can't speak for the other game, but the Colorado Minnesota game was A-1 aces.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:59 AM   #626
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
can't speak for the other game, but the Colorado Minnesota game was A-1 aces.

Looks like I was left to enjoy that dish of crow last night.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:55 PM   #627
Logan
Head Coach

I don't care if he's not a Ranger anymore, Sean Avery is still the man.

ESPN - Dallas Stars forward Sean Avery suspended indefinitely

Quote:
The NHL has suspended Dallas Stars forward Sean Avery indefinitely pending a hearing with commissioner Gary Bettman.

The league says the suspension was imposed Tuesday after Avery made "inappropriate public comments, not pertaining to the game."

According to the Toronto Globe & Mail, Avery didn't wait for a question from reporters at Tuesday's morning skate in Calgary and asked if a camera was present.

"I am really happy to be back in Calgary, I love Canada," Avery said Tuesday morning. "I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds. I don't know what that's about. Enjoy the game tonight."

Avery's ex-girlfriend, actress Elisha Cuthbert, is dating Calgary's Dion Phaneuf.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #628
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

he's a dope, but that's hilarious
Old 12-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #629
Galaxy
Coordinator

This coming from a guy who plays with dolls. Hilarious.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:33 PM   #630
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

That whole thing cracked me up.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:13 PM   #631
duff88
College Prospect

Avery has been suspended indefinitely for those comments.
duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:16 PM   #632
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

It's honestly getting to the point where I think the Dallas Stars players need to put rocks in his pocked and roll him into the river.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #633
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
It's honestly getting to the point where I think the Dallas Stars players need to put rocks in his pocked and roll him into the river.

That didn't work when your wife did that to you and he is a much better athlete.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:11 PM   #634
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

The Dallas Stars rush to Avery's defense:

Quote:
Here’s Stars owner Tom Hicks (via Dallas Stars press release):

“I completely support the league’s decision to suspend Sean Avery,” said Dallas Stars owner Thomas O. Hicks. “Had the league not have suspended him, the Dallas Stars would have. This organization will not tolerate such behavior, especially from a member of our hockey team. We hold our team to a higher standard and will continue to do so.”

His coach Dave Tippett (via Dallas Stars blog):

“It’s something that the league has taken action on and our owner has supported it. I think everyone in our room believes there is an integrity that has to go into the game - a respect for the game and a respect for your opponents, and Sean crossed that line.”

And his teammates (via Michael Farber, Sports Illustrated):

“We expect that out of him like we have all year,” said goaltender Marty Turco, who was critical of Avery’s agitation of Brodeur during the playoffs when it happened. “You know, the show continues. We all are competitive enough and focused to get out there and do your job. But when it continues over time, things certainly can be (distracting)."

Centre Brad Richards was more direct.

"It's none of my business what he says and I'd rather not talk about Sean," said Richards. "He's got his own thing going on."

Sources tell TSN the Stars are expected to send Avery home Wednesday morning.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 12-02-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:16 PM   #635
samifan24
Pro Starter

I guess I'm missing why this is a big deal. I'm very critical of players for their on-ice actions but I don't see why they would suspend him indefinitely and send him home for this. It was stupid and I would understand if they suspended him for a game and fined him but sending him home? They knew what they were getting into when they acquired him.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:19 PM   #636
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I guess I'm missing why this is a big deal. I'm very critical of players for their on-ice actions but I don't see why they would suspend him indefinitely and send him home for this. It was stupid and I would understand if they suspended him for a game and fined him but sending him home? They knew what they were getting into when they acquired him.

Personal attacks in public should not be tolerated. I think if the NHL didn't suspend him, it would be a very, very ugly game tonight.

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-02-2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:43 PM   #637
Logan
Head Coach

Although I love the guy, I do agree that there's no place for personal attacks that don't have anything to do with hockey. Girlfriends, wives, children should all be off limits from public comments.

All that being said, the video of his comments is even better than the wording:

Old 12-03-2008, 12:36 AM   #638
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think the most annoying thing is the way he basically scripted the whole thing. It was like his own little press conference. "Hey guys, come over here with the microphones for a seconds, I'm gonna be funny".

If someone had asked him about it, and that was his response, I'd think it was a little bit funny yet still stupid to say in front of reporters. But given the above, all I can say is: What a douchebag.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:46 AM   #639
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Avery is great for the game. Every sport needs a bad guy, and Avery fits the bill. He is well spoken when he wants to be, and he is always finding a way to get headlines.

Plus he cracks me up.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:51 AM   #640
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Put me into the "I don't really get why this is a big deal" column

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:25 AM   #641
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Avery is great for the game. Every sport needs a bad guy, and Avery fits the bill. He is well spoken when he wants to be, and he is always finding a way to get headlines.

Plus he cracks me up.

I find Avery amusing for the same reasons. The regular season is a long, grueling grind and it's good to have characters like Avery spice things up a bit every now and then. That said, his "sloppy seconds" comment was pretty classless.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:13 AM   #642
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Put me into the "I don't really get why this is a big deal" column

A big +1.

Don't like it? Don't date his leftovers.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #643
bbor
Pro Starter

Hurricanes rehire Paul Maurice as coach!!!

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:07 AM   #644
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
The Dallas Stars rush to Avery's defense:

I'm getting the feeling he's not the most popular guy on the team.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:09 AM   #645
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Re: avery, why is it a big deal?

I think Mirtle nailed it today:
NHL right to suspend*Avery - From The Rink

Quote:
It's fully understandable that many of those in the media (and blogosphere) are calling for a sideshow given the great copy it would produce, but I absolutely endorse what the NHL's done here. Promoting the game is one thing; childish, and downright crude and insulting, antics are another, and the last thing any professional sports league should be looking for is someone like Sean Avery setting the bar for what's in good taste.

To be honest, I'm a little taken aback at just how many hockey fans are calling the NHL on the carpet tonight. Why on earth should players' girlfriends, wives and families be subject to public slurs — no matter how benign — as part of some ridiculous Avery-orchestrated marketing campaign?

What if his next move is to dump on the daughters of opposing general managers? What if he does it when the Stars next game is against the Canadiens? And, hey, let's make fun of ol' Walter Gretzky while we're in Phoenix, too!

That is not how you build a brand. It's a sideshow, plain and simple, and if you rely on the Averys of the NHL to determine where the line is and if they can cross it, we're heading into ugly territory indeed.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #646
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Re: avery, why is it a big deal?

I think Mirtle nailed it today:
NHL right to suspend*Avery - From The Rink

I agree.

If Avery were to refer to Phaneuf's girlfriend as "sloppy seconds" while the two were on the ice and without a horde of microphones around, that'd be one thing. But doing it off ice, in front of the media and then throw on top of that the staged way it happened is really beyond good taste.

I like what Avery does more often than not because it's amusing, but I have nothing wrong with the NHL suspending him on this.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #647
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I like what Avery does more often than not because it's amusing, but I have nothing wrong with the NHL suspending him on this.

Agreed, and as I said, this is coming from a guy who loves his antics because when it comes down to it, he's just trying to annoy people while also being a very good hockey player. This was unneccessary.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #648
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Well, I dunno that it's right. I mean Goodell is punishing everyone, and Brandon Marshall and Joey Porter have been calling each other gay in the media. I think that is quite a bit worse, and neither was suspended.

And Porter is more notorious inside football then Avery is inside hockey.

Bettman HATES Avery. It's that simple.

Now was the comment classless? Sure. But that is how so many hockey players are, I guess I am just used to it.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #649
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

If Bettman's going to suspend Avery for talking about a bitch then he should suspend Crosby for being a bitch.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:48 PM   #650
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
If Bettman's going to suspend Avery for talking about a bitch then he should suspend Crosby for being a bitch.

SERVED.