Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2005, 08:31 PM   #601
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
I've noticed that starting partway though the second season it gets absolutely brutal.

I changed tactics and I'm still getting beat regularly, and this should be a team that challenges for promotion playoffs.

That's weird because my second season I started off really badly (lost the first 4 or 5 games), but now about 2/3 of the way through the season we've fought our way back into title contention. I don't mess with tactics much at all, but I did bring in a couple new starters that seemed to turn things around for me.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:35 AM   #602
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

i just need to vent my frustration. every single time i've played the game (about 4 3-hour marathons), the game has crashed. I am stupid each time and only save at the end of the month (which I never get to), so i've lost about a total of 12 hours, and what's worse, have to replay the same 3 weeks of game time over and over again.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:38 AM   #603
klayman
College Benchwarmer

I haven't noticed that. After promotion in the 1st season, and being relegation candidates for the 2nd season, just after the close of the January transfer window I'm in a tough 3 way battle for the title. I'm not running away with the division like I did last year, but I'm certainly not getting beat regularly.

Edit: In response to Izulde's post

I also haven't had a single crash at all, not that it helps anybody who is having them.

Last edited by klayman : 11-10-2005 at 12:41 AM.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:44 AM   #604
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper
i just need to vent my frustration. every single time i've played the game (about 4 3-hour marathons), the game has crashed. I am stupid each time and only save at the end of the month (which I never get to), so i've lost about a total of 12 hours, and what's worse, have to replay the same 3 weeks of game time over and over again.
lighthouse - you really gotta save after every game. I'm getting all kinds of crashes too. Luckily the saves this year are nothing like they have been in the past, so it's not that big of a deal to do it after each game. I think it's taking like 10 seconds for each one.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:09 AM   #605
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Must be something with the Digital River code, I've only had the Belgian crash that I mentioned earlier.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:27 AM   #606
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
I haven't noticed that. After promotion in the 1st season, and being relegation candidates for the 2nd season, just after the close of the January transfer window I'm in a tough 3 way battle for the title. I'm not running away with the division like I did last year, but I'm certainly not getting beat regularly.

Edit: In response to Izulde's post

I also haven't had a single crash at all, not that it helps anybody who is having them.

It might help. What version are you using (cd or digital download)?
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 01:54 AM   #607
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper
Entirely unhelpful but my first thought: "Groundhog Day!"
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 02:15 AM   #608
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Just my own personal opinion but does anybody feel like, in the effort to curb down the SuperWingers from '05, they've slightly neuterfied offensive players, specifically wingers, a little bit? Titi can still make some ridiculous dribbling display for me but he has a tough time running away from people [ie, he's sent through on a pass and has beaten the last defenders]. I've got a young Argentinian kid [20 pace/acceleration, 17 dribbling] who was already past Zat Knight [14 pace/13 acceleration] and got caught. Building up offensive rhythm seems insanely tough.

I'm also not getting a whole lot of success with offensive players winning anything in the air. [Yes, I know. My club isn't exactly known for their aerial prowess but this is beyond ridiculous.] There are games where I feel like I'm watching a tennis match with my defensive players winning headers and knocking the ball back then their defensive players doing the same. Back and forth. Back and forth.

All that said and done . . . the $38 I spent will still be worth it because it's still a damn good game.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:33 AM   #609
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Fast Players with the ball aren't 'nefted' - in real-life (and in the game) players with the ball can't dribble as fast as they can sprint and keep the ball under control.

Some players will try and keep relatively close control and lose a fair bit of pace (actual amount dependant upon their dribbling and technique) others will attempt to dribble at speed with less control (dependant on their dribbling) ...

Even dribbling loosely (which is best described as kicking the ball on and chasing it if you've watched low division teams ) slows a player down from his highest pace because he can't run 'naturally' as he has to keep watching the ball and ensuring that he's timing kicking it with his strides etc.

You'll also notice that if a player dribbles at pace with the ball under only loose control then he'll be much more likely to have the ball taken off him (for an example of this I had a striker in the Conference South who was devastating because he had no technique at all but blinding pace and reasonable dribbling, he couldn't control the ball at speed but I always played beating the off-side trap and it didn't really matter, however when I played better teams in the FA Cup he was useless - the better defenses dropped off him and simply waited for him to try and dribble past them before taking it away from him).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 03:41 AM   #610
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
I'm also not getting a whole lot of success with offensive players winning anything in the air. [Yes, I know. My club isn't exactly known for their aerial prowess but this is beyond ridiculous.] There are games where I feel like I'm watching a tennis match with my defensive players winning headers and knocking the ball back then their defensive players doing the same. Back and forth. Back and forth.

If you watch real football then watch how many headers defenders vs attackers win in them, you'll notice that its a very similar percentage to in FM.

Why is this - there are a few simple reasons:

* Direction of the ball/visibility of the ball to players. Defenders are generally facing in the direction the ball is travelling from and so can adapt to its flight and intercept the ball much more easily than an attacker who can't see it coming.
This is why crossing from the byline is more effective than crossing from deep if you wondered why managers and commentators make such a big deal out of wingers getting to the byline.
* Central defenders are nearly always chosen for being half-decent in the air (simply because its a requirement for that position) so its rare that an attacker will have someone up against them that they're 'much' better than.

Statistic-wise you'll probably be shocked to discover that irl even the better wingers rarely have a cross conversion rate much in excess of 25% over the course of a season ...
Old 11-10-2005, 03:41 AM   #611
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Also in a lot of cases, the strikers are trying to cut in towards the net, which usually allows the defender to catch up
Old 11-10-2005, 03:48 AM   #612
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

PS> A tip for fast wingers, if they're up against fairly quick defenders (generally any defender with 14-15 pace/acceleration will keep up with and possibly catch someone dribbling with the ball over a reasonable distance) then consider playing slightly less 'pretty' football.

Put one of your central midfielders down as a play-maker and tell him to pass out wide, give your winger of choice a forward run (arrow) and tell him to do forward runs and run with the ball ...

If your midfielders are good enough then you'll find that he'll attempt to play balls to your wide player, a fair bit of the time the player might be in his 'standard' position (ie. with a defender to beat) .... however if your central midfielder is creative enough (and can pass accurately) then he'll try and time balls behind the defense for the midfielder to run onto when the opportunity arises (generally when the opposition has been disppossed quicly or you've pushed onto their defense so the midfielder is near the marking defender) ...

These balls when executed will murder the defense because the winger isn't dribbling and is simply running freely onto the ball, this means his true pace will be visible and there will be no way the defender can keep up.

You see these diagonal balls in matches a fair bit irl, when they work they're very very effective, but they are hard to pull off as it requires good timing from both players.

Hope this helps,

Marc
PS> This works best when the pitch is soggy as that slows the ball down a lot when it starts rolling, allowing the central midfielder to whelly it towards the corner flag knowing it'll probably stop in the mire before leaving the pitch.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:51 AM   #613
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Also in a lot of cases, the strikers are trying to cut in towards the net, which usually allows the defender to catch up
Oh one final thing while you've reminded me ... there's also a 'drag factor' involved if the two players are close together ...

This is basically the physical tussle between the two players, for instance when I'm playing in defense I'm slow but 6'6'' and reasonable at positioning myself.

I can 'handle' much faster attackers because I invariable simply make them try and run through me, if they try and go past then I can slow them down or hold them off using my shoulder or simply hands unless they give a wide birth (which again will mean they take longer to reach where they're going) .... I'll happily admit its probably not the prettiest display of defending you'd ever see and at times (with me at least) it can be borderline legal ... but its fairly effective
Old 11-10-2005, 04:42 AM   #614
Icy
Pro Starter

Awesome info Marc.

Here are also some other great articles about FM tactics:

Squad rotation – part 1

Squad rotation – part 2

Spotting where to improve a good tactic

Running a Successful title challenge

Btw, where are we going to start to beg skydog for an FM forum, to keep all the info in one thread is starting to be a mess?
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 04:55 AM   #615
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
Fast Players with the ball aren't 'nefted' - in real-life (and in the game) players with the ball can't dribble as fast as they can sprint and keep the ball under control.
I totally understand that and I agree. I definitely don't expect somebody who was near to just be able to run away from folks too easily as it wouldn't make sense [even if Titi does possess all the technical and physical skills to do so]. On the other hand, I would think that somebody explosive enough to be in the 19-20 range in speed [both pace and acceleration] and enough technical skill to be considered a cultured striker and was several lengths away with only open field ahead of him from a defender with fairly average speed [13/14] would not be caught so easily by said defender.
Quote:
If you watch real football then watch how many headers defenders vs attackers win in them, you'll notice that its a very similar percentage to in FM.
I not only believe it, I'm certain of it. It's one of the reason my favourite club is the club it is [Arsenal]. I'm not a big fan of aerial attacks [in this football or the other football, ask the people in online FOF leagues with me]. On the other hand, in the 30 or so games I've watch [admittedly a limited set of samples], I've not seen one attacking team manage to get their head on a corner. I'm not even asking for a score. Just a touch. And I haven't seen it. That could maybe be blamed on the corner takers, though ['specially since, y'know, we're Arsenal and all and we can't take corners worth expletives].

Other than that, I also few aerial balls that are at all successful. I'm not even talking about 30 yard kicks that are lobbed - although my players seems to do insane amount of those, in spite of being asked to do short passing - and stay in the air for a day and a half. I'm talking about simple passes where it basically is in the air briefly because, well, it's not a ball on the ground. I'm talking Aliaksander Hlebs being rated pretty well for passing not being able to get passes to Dennis Bergkamp because, well, it left the ground briefly.

I definitely like your tip for using fast winger and bad weather to my advantage. Will definitely be taking advantage of that.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:41 AM   #616
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Glad you're enjoyig the game, let me know how you get on next season in the Premiership ... if you roll through that then I want to take a look at your tactics .... so we can work out if you're exploiting an AI flaw we can but but ... also not least because I'll use them next time we play an inhouse network game

Not exactly rolling through from the start: Just got my first win 1-0 away at Middlesbrough in the 5th game, after losing 2-1 at home to Birmingham, away at Man U (I cleverly decided that 18 year Richard Stearman was able to mark Wayne Rooney - the result: Rooney hat-trick, we lose 3-0), drew 1-1 at home with Chelsea, drew 0-0 at home with Bolton...

I have to say congrats on the match engine: I thought it looked good in the Championship, but playing proper Prem sides it it twice as fast and some of the football played (mostly against me ) is quality. Much tougher... (which is great)
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:43 AM   #617
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

Why is this - there are a few simple reasons:

* Direction of the ball/visibility of the ball to players. Defenders are generally facing in the direction the ball is travelling from and so can adapt to its flight and intercept the ball much more easily than an attacker who can't see it coming.
This is why crossing from the byline is more effective than crossing from deep if you wondered why managers and commentators make such a big deal out of wingers getting to the byline.
* Central defenders are nearly always chosen for being half-decent in the air (simply because its a requirement for that position) so its rare that an attacker will have someone up against them that they're 'much' better than.

Statistic-wise you'll probably be shocked to discover that irl even the better wingers rarely have a cross conversion rate much in excess of 25% over the course of a season ...

As well as this , central defenders are generally attacking the ball with the sole intention of getting it somewhere further away from their goal, while attackers are actually trying to do something planned: (control it, glance it or nod it on to a teammate, etc) while often backing onto the ball. It's often not a fair fight!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:58 AM   #618
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
I not only believe it, I'm certain of it. It's one of the reason my favourite club is the club it is [Arsenal]. I'm not a big fan of aerial attacks [in this football or the other football, ask the people in online FOF leagues with me]. On the other hand, in the 30 or so games I've watch [admittedly a limited set of samples], I've not seen one attacking team manage to get their head on a corner. I'm not even asking for a score. Just a touch. And I haven't seen it. That could maybe be blamed on the corner takers, though ['specially since, y'know, we're Arsenal and all and we can't take corners worth expletives].

If your team isn't the strongest in the air and you don't want to send defenders forward in case the opposition breaks then try telling any nimble midfielders to run in from outside the box when the corner comes in - if you target them rather than the 'usual suspects' then you can sometimes get a fairly short (but fast) midfielder to dive onto a header which a taller less mobile player who was already in the box wouldn't have got due to his marking.

(other option of course is to play it short and try and work out a more 'natural' goal)
Old 11-10-2005, 06:47 AM   #619
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I've seen a lot of corner kicks where the balls headed at/on net even scored a few goals.. (one of my defenders had 5 goals last year as a target man on corners, plus 1 or two scrambles)
Old 11-10-2005, 07:00 AM   #620
Fouts
College Starter

I am the manager of Scotland in the Euro Championship Qualifiers, and one of my players was quoted after our 4-1 win over England;

Scotland star Garry O'Connor has spoken of his delight at breaking his international cherry with a goal against England.

I had a laugh at that.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:01 AM   #621
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts
Scotland star Garry O'Connor has spoken of his delight at breaking his international cherry with a goal against England.

Would you believe that somebody would really say that in the media???

FM
Old 11-10-2005, 07:31 AM   #622
Butter
Coordinator

I have noticed with Southampton, that the halftime and full-time "chats" are seemingly having predictable results... if you get angry with them, they pout and don't respond. If you tell them you are thrilled, they get complacent and don't respond... you pretty much always have to leave your comments somewhere in the middle (i.e. that was disappointing, or you are pleased), otherwise your team will respond poorly. Anyone else finding this to be the case, or is it just the bunch of players I have that respond in this fashion?
Old 11-10-2005, 07:40 AM   #623
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
I have noticed with Southampton, that the halftime and full-time "chats" are seemingly having predictable results... if you get angry with them, they pout and don't respond. If you tell them you are thrilled, they get complacent and don't respond... you pretty much always have to leave your comments somewhere in the middle (i.e. that was disappointing, or you are pleased), otherwise your team will respond poorly. Anyone else finding this to be the case, or is it just the bunch of players I have that respond in this fashion?

I think it depends on the situation to some extent. When my team ran off 4 or 5 losses to start my second season, I came in at half time of the next match we were behind 2-1 and got angry for the first time all season. We came out and won 3-2. So at the end of the game I told them I was thrilled. I think that gave a pretty big bump to their very low morale. I also got a message that one of my players told the media my talk at half-time motivated them to the victory or something like that. So my experience so far has been to use any of the more extreme chats very sparingly, but they can be useful in the right situation.

Last edited by Bee : 11-10-2005 at 07:41 AM.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:43 AM   #624
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

Bear in mind that players have memories in the game, if you are unstable in your team-talks (ie. a very volitile character, happy one game - throwing tea-cups the next) then players will understandably be fairly nervous around you and you might find more fragile players harder to inspire.

If you're relatively stable in your talks (whether positive, stable or miserable) then players will get used to things and using the opposite extreme will have more effect, ie. if you're generally a 'pleased' manager and suddenly throw your toys out of the pram then players will sit up and go 'shit we really need to do something here' ... in contrast being generally pessimistic/negative and then giving praise will have more effect as players will appreciate that they must have done something special to impress you.

I personally tend to have fairly young teams (mainly because I play as a small side coming through the divisions and so tend to purchase budding stars) and because of this I tend to go easy on the players (youngsters having more fragile ego's than older players generally) - however if I'm 4-0 down at half-time and I think they deserve it then toys do go flying

(main thing I avoid is too much praise, last thing I want is players deciding they're great and looking to move to a bigger club )
Old 11-10-2005, 08:44 AM   #625
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan

Would you believe that somebody would really say that in the media???

FM
He would if he's not the most professional player in the world (ie. that news item is subtly telling you something about the players personality, many of them will if you think about the type of player who'd say such a thing).
Old 11-10-2005, 11:03 AM   #626
jbmagic
Pro Starter

is there an updated guide on all the formation types?

having a hard time understanding the formation tactics the kind of players you need for each one.

thanks
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:13 AM   #627
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
is there an updated guide on all the formation types?

having a hard time understanding the formation tactics the kind of players you need for each one.

thanks

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/h...00/3637221.stm

All major ones covered.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:15 AM   #628
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo

thanks so much
Old 11-10-2005, 11:23 AM   #629
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

I found the same thing. If you look in M. Vaughn's guide, he explicitly outlines how to handle standard situations and it is always Encourage or Pleased.

I started leaving the talks to my Asst. Mgr. and find my team generally performs better in the 2nd half than when I handled them. It seemed like a nice add-on at the time, but to be honest, I started to find it a bit tedious.

Last edited by Desnudo : 11-10-2005 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:12 PM   #630
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

this was just posted on the SI Forums:
Quote:
Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:
(temporary) link to the English language pack for WWSM 2006 - http://makeashorterlink.com/?R2465132C

I don't know what they included in that file, but I just downloaded it and it's almost 10Mb

Well, I'd assume they're about to post a real link or something...

FM
Old 11-10-2005, 04:51 PM   #631
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts
It might help. What version are you using (cd or digital download)?
Cd
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:28 PM   #632
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
this was just posted on the SI Forums:

I don't know what they included in that file, but I just downloaded it and it's almost 10Mb

Well, I'd assume they're about to post a real link or something...

FM
FM, that language packs looks for a FM file when extracting. Can we direct it to the WWSM folder instead? And what folder is it supposed to extract to?
Old 11-10-2005, 06:54 PM   #633
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7
FM, that language packs looks for a FM file when extracting. Can we direct it to the WWSM folder instead? And what folder is it supposed to extract to?

It wouldn't work for me because it's looking for FM. Unless there's a way to make it look for WWSM, I guess we need to wait for a slight upgrade of that patch.
Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:14 PM   #634
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I just upgraded my version of WWSM and the UK English file is there. Yeah, it is looking for FM, but it also tells you that you can browse and find the fm.exe file. When browsing, find the installation folder of WWSM2006, then type a simply "*" in the file field and enter, this will show every file in the folder. Select the WSM.EXE file, it will now tell a the bottom that it's ready to upgrade a Football Manager version that is at version 6.0.1 or something like that. Go ahead and upgrade. If I remember correctly, it upgraded some 115 files and made the english.ltc file appear in my languages folder...

FM
Old 11-10-2005, 07:44 PM   #635
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I just upgraded my version of WWSM and the UK English file is there. Yeah, it is looking for FM, but it also tells you that you can browse and find the fm.exe file. When browsing, find the installation folder of WWSM2006, then type a simply "*" in the file field and enter, this will show every file in the folder. Select the WSM.EXE file, it will now tell a the bottom that it's ready to upgrade a Football Manager version that is at version 6.0.1 or something like that. Go ahead and upgrade. If I remember correctly, it upgraded some 115 files and made the english.ltc file appear in my languages folder...

FM
Thanks, it worked!
Old 11-11-2005, 05:29 AM   #636
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Heh, I love it when the game tries to make sneaky offers that we'd consider cheating..

I get a bid for one of my reserves that's gonna be leaving in the offseason.. valued at 40K.

the screen prior says "an offer worth up to $502,000"

My first reaction.. Oh hell yes.. let me hurry up and accept this offer.. go to the transfer screen..

they're offering 2K Up front and 500K after 40 league goals.

Yeeaaahhhhh..
Old 11-11-2005, 06:35 AM   #637
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Out of curiosity, am I more likely to get more boost from more muscle on the CPU side of things or from adding more RAM?
Old 11-11-2005, 06:38 AM   #638
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I'd say more on the CPU side then on the RAM side myself
Old 11-11-2005, 06:39 AM   #639
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
Out of curiosity, am I more likely to get more boost from more muscle on the CPU side of things or from adding more RAM?
RAM usually unless you already have over 2GB and a very outdated CPU, but tell us your actual specs so we can give you better advice. The more that is stored in the RAM, the less that the Hard disk must be read, so the more processing speed with games with huge databases like this.

Last edited by Icy : 11-11-2005 at 06:40 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:00 AM   #640
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

what I've read on the SI forums is people getting a huge boost going from 256 to 512 in RAM but not all that much when goin higher than that.

I did go from 256 to 512 myself and now I feel that it's my Athlon 2000+ (1.67) which is the bottleneck. Why I say that? While my HD used to write like crazy when I was at 256mb, compensating for the lack of memory, I now sometimes get long delay of processing where apparently nothing is happening (no hard drive action at all) and then it comes back. I'm thinking it must be the processor going through everything and not being limited so much by the fact I only have 512mb of memory. Gotta say I play on a small DB with 7 nations...

FM
Old 11-11-2005, 08:55 AM   #641
PilotMan
Head Coach

Just out of curiosity, while I am waiting for my game, what setup will I be able to run on these two systems?

Home

AMD Sempron 1.6
1gig Ram
virually unlimited HD space but 25+gigs on my games drive

Laptop

Centrino 1.6
512 MB Ram
25+ gigs of space available

I am a pretty patient player, but I don't want to wait for five minutes or anything between updates.

Thanks

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:16 AM   #642
Critch
lolzcat

Just started a new game with fictional players, my new star centre forward has "Argues with Officials" and "Gets crowd going" as his preferred moves. He's going to be fun, when he's not suspended.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:07 PM   #643
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan
Just out of curiosity, while I am waiting for my game, what setup will I be able to run on these two systems?

Home

AMD Sempron 1.6
1gig Ram
virually unlimited HD space but 25+gigs on my games drive

Laptop

Centrino 1.6
512 MB Ram
25+ gigs of space available

I am a pretty patient player, but I don't want to wait for five minutes or anything between updates.

Thanks

I use my laptop which is a Pentium M 1.6 w/512 MB RAM and it runs fine. I don't have it open, but I believe I'm running ~8-10 leagues w/detail on and another 8-10 with only basic detail enabled.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:28 PM   #644
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I use my laptop which is a Pentium M 1.6 w/512 MB RAM and it runs fine. I don't have it open, but I believe I'm running ~8-10 leagues w/detail on and another 8-10 with only basic detail enabled.

Got a few questions for you if you don't mind:

1) ~8-10 leagues, is that 8-10 nations or more 4 nations with a total of 8-10 leagues?

2) what kind of database size did you pick?

3) what do you consider like running fine? Does that mean waiting a lot at some point (especially during the transfer windows) or is it waitless? For example, my current FM2005 games has 10 leagues from 7 nations and I can sometime wait up to 2-3 minutes during processing (but it also can process more than a day during these longer waits)...

I have a desktop system with an Athlon 2000+ (1.67) w/512mb, so kind of similar to yours, although your M 1.6 may be faster than my athlon, and I'll be testing out what kind of game setting for my future game. I' think about something like 7-10 leagues from maybe 5-6 nations on normal and most of the major EU countries' top league in basic detail so that I see stats for the Champions League and EUFA Cup teams. I'm also thinking about using a retain file with most of the top European clubs to ensure that I have these with non-grey players, would probably make for a more indepth experience without adding all the players in a country...

FM
Old 11-11-2005, 12:48 PM   #645
jbmagic
Pro Starter

do you guys know all the players well for your dynasty?

with so many players, it seems really hard to remember and know everyone.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:52 PM   #646
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
do you guys know all the players well for your dynasty?

with so many players, it seems really hard to remember and know everyone.

I did't know many players when I started playing FM2005, believe me, but I learn new names as I go along and now in my second serious career with FM2005, there are player that I look for and remember, since they became so important in my first career.

Use the search feature to find new players, learn how to play with the filters and the views (offensive skills, defensive, technical, mental) and there will be be players that will jump out at you. Once you see a player you could like, ask your scout for a report, that will put the player on your shortlist and you will be made aware of any news regarding this player from that moment forward (like if he rejected a contract offer from his current club, if another club is interested in him, if there's been a bid for him, etc)...
Old 11-11-2005, 12:53 PM   #647
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola, also pay attention to players from teams you play against. Sometimes a good player in your league will not be able to renew his contract with his current team and you could snag him on a free transfer, or you could put in a bid for him...

FM
Old 11-11-2005, 01:10 PM   #648
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
I found the same thing. If you look in M. Vaughn's guide, he explicitly outlines how to handle standard situations and it is always Encourage or Pleased.

I started leaving the talks to my Asst. Mgr. and find my team generally performs better in the 2nd half than when I handled them. It seemed like a nice add-on at the time, but to be honest, I started to find it a bit tedious.

I always do encourage or pleased at halftime...I'll save the crazy ones for a time when its really necessary. probably no more than once a season (say a poor start)
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 04:47 PM   #649
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

I've used "I don't expect your performance to drop!" to good effect a couple of times. It seems I've got a squad that will go complacent in the second half.
Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 06:25 PM   #650
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I haven't had time to play much since I got the game (I haven't even started the regular season yet), but I'm going to go the "lower league manager" route and not look at any outside information on which players are good, nor am I going to use the player search to filter for attributes I'm looking for. I'm only going to use my scouts to find good players. If a scout doesn't look at the player or I don't play against the player, I won't know about him. I'm not very good at the game as it is, so this added challenge may not be a good idea, but I'm giving it a shot.