Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #601
Swaggs
Coordinator

My hopeful scenario is that Pitt hires Mario Cristobal and trots him around for a few weeks, then Penn State hires away Al Golden from Miami, and then Cristobal returns home to Miami.

Give Pitt a chance to have 5 coaches in 13 or 14 months.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #602
Logan
Head Coach

My guess is that the Pitt people are pumping up that Penn State "rumor" to give the eventual Cristobal hire more cache.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #603
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

20 minutes ago on Hawaii sports radio they said Norm Chow is the new HC at Hawaii. Unofficial still but source is reputable. Im not exactly thrilled.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #604
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Official now. Norm Chow head coach @ UH. He better treat this as his one and only shot and not a damn retirement. Since he's never been a HC. Final 3 candidates were him , Brian Norwood and Dirk Koetter.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #605
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
Official now. Norm Chow head coach @ UH. He better treat this as his one and only shot and not a damn retirement. Since he's never been a HC. Final 3 candidates were him , Brian Norwood and Dirk Koetter.

It might rejuvenate him. That is the scary thing, I think a motivated Norm Chow and company creates a mean program..I am keeping my eyes on Hawaii...now, who does Utah find to fill the OC spot?
Old 12-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #606
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I hope so. I am pretty interested to see how he fills out his staff.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #607
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Wow, interesting choice. Hopefully for Hawaii Chow gets rejuvenated. But even so, how long will he last? He's already 65...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #608
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Wow, interesting choice. Hopefully for Hawaii Chow gets rejuvenated. But even so, how long will he last? He's already 65...

Its a 5 yr deal..
Old 12-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #609
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Its a 5 yr deal..
And after that, then what? How long is he going to have the drive to coach? Just seems like a very limited lifespan choice by Hawaii.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #610
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
And after that, then what? How long is he going to have the drive to coach? Just seems like a very limited lifespan choice by Hawaii.

But isn't any choice a limited lifespan choice for a school like Hawaii? IF they hire someone younger who ends up being successful they'll more than likely be off to another job in an even shorter time.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #611
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think the days of a coach sticking at a school for much longer than 5-7 years are largely over. There are only like 15 coaches that have been at their same job for more than 7-years right now and only 10 that have been in place for 10+ years.

If he can put a good team together for 4-5+ years, they will be in a better place for the next hire.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #612
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Quote:

65? he's just a young pup.

Signed,
Bill Snyder
Old 12-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #613
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
65? he's just a young pup.

Signed,
Bill Snyder

I hear Paterno is out on the job market

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #614
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
It might rejuvenate him. That is the scary thing, I think a motivated Norm Chow and company creates a mean program..I am keeping my eyes on Hawaii...now, who does Utah find to fill the OC spot?

Possibly Brian Johnson, but worse for the Utes than losing Chow is that he is trying to get Sitake to go with him. Sitake is a great recruiter and would be a huge addition. Hard to see him leaving Utah though unless they work up some kind of coach in waiting deal for him.

I still think this is a good hire, Chow has been been passed over for years and I agree with Dennis, this could motivate him. I know for sure that Hawaii will be keeping some players on the Island now that would normally have gone elsewhere with Chow's recruiting prowess there. If Sitake does go with him they will do even better.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #615
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I think the days of a coach sticking at a school for much longer than 5-7 years are largely over. There are only like 15 coaches that have been at their same job for more than 7-years right now and only 10 that have been in place for 10+ years.

If he can put a good team together for 4-5+ years, they will be in a better place for the next hire.

Rich Rodriquez has the 4th longest tenure of the PAC12 South coaches.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #616
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Possibly Brian Johnson, but worse for the Utes than losing Chow is that he is trying to get Sitake to go with him. Sitake is a great recruiter and would be a huge addition. Hard to see him leaving Utah though unless they work up some kind of coach in waiting deal for him.

I still think this is a good hire, Chow has been been passed over for years and I agree with Dennis, this could motivate him. I know for sure that Hawaii will be keeping some players on the Island now that would normally have gone elsewhere with Chow's recruiting prowess there. If Sitake does go with him they will do even better.

Sitake is not going. He has turned down DC offers from SEC and ACC Schools because he has been told he is being groomed to replace Whitt. (BYU 14..check your FB messages for where I got the 411)

Although if the pay is enough he might go (remember, his raise from LB coach to DC was a 6 figure increase since Anderson offered him to go to USU). If so, look for his family (I mean Dad, brothers and sisters) to move out there with him. His wife is from Florida and I could see her liking the Hawaii lifestyle as she has embraced the culture whole.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 12-21-2011 at 08:54 AM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #617
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Looking like Paul Chryst for the Pitt job. Any Wisconsin fans with insight as to whether or not he's head coach material?
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #618
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacovfb View Post
Looking like Paul Chryst for the Pitt job. Any Wisconsin fans with insight as to whether or not he's head coach material?

Another ex-WVU coach for Pitt?

I have heard that he is an excellent X's & O's type and is a high character guy, but is not super charismatic with the media or in recruiting.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #619
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Another ex-WVU coach for Pitt?

I have heard that he is an excellent X's & O's type and is a high character guy, but is not super charismatic with the media or in recruiting.

(minus being an ex-WVU coach) Sounds like the opposite of Todd Graham then
Old 12-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #620
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
(minus being an ex-WVU coach) Sounds like the opposite of Todd Graham then

Honestly, I think he will do a pretty good job if he hires a handful of good recruiters. There will always be a solid base of players in Western PA and Pitt will get their share (and maybe more, if the Penn State and Ohio State stuff knocks them down a peg). With Edsall doing terribly at Maryland, there is a lot of opportunity in the Baltimore/DC area, as well.

If Chryst can get good offensive linemen from his Midwestern ties, he can be successful. I think Wanny fell short on linemen and QB (because he hit Western PA so hard and there either weren't great ones available in those particular years, or he lost out on them to other schools) and that was, and continues to be, Pitt's biggest problem, in my opinion.

Last edited by Swaggs : 12-21-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:39 PM   #621
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

This really sucks. 12 days before the Rose Bowl. Our offense will hopefully still click. It sucks to see him go but its been in the writing since last season. Aye, aye, aye.

He'll be a good guy but like others have said, not the biggest recruiter you're going to get. He'll develop the quarterbacks very nicely, or I should say, maximize their talents quite nicely.

Pro offense. Good mix of usage of tight ends.

Sad day.

But life goes on, hopefully we can fill it within; I'm sure Chryst was grooming one of the other offensive coaches to maybe fill in.

Last edited by mauchow : 12-21-2011 at 10:41 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:02 AM   #622
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Lots of Twitter buzz that Akron has hired Terry Bowden. Talk about odd fits.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #623
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
This really sucks. 12 days before the Rose Bowl. Our offense will hopefully still click. It sucks to see him go but its been in the writing since last season. Aye, aye, aye.

He'll be a good guy but like others have said, not the biggest recruiter you're going to get. He'll develop the quarterbacks very nicely, or I should say, maximize their talents quite nicely.

Sad day.

But life goes on, hopefully we can fill it within; I'm sure Chryst was grooming one of the other offensive coaches to maybe fill in.

Looks like he's going to coach in the Rose Bowl for you guys. I like it - shows that he's loyal and committed to his players and there'll actually be some positive press for Pitt in January
Old 12-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #624
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Looks like he's going to coach in the Rose Bowl for you guys. I like it - shows that he's loyal and committed to his players and there'll actually be some positive press for Pitt in January

Mark Richt thinks there is no possible down side to sticking around to coach a major bowl game when you have your first head coaching job.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #625
Ksyrup

It's just an exhibition. At least it's not for the title.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #626
Klinglerware
College Starter

Williams is out at Yale.

Yale Bulldogs coach Tom Williams resigns due to Rhodes scholarship fib - ESPN

Did people not learn from the George O'Leary saga? Or was the moral of the story "there's a good chance that you'll land on your feet, even if you do get caught"?

Anyway, I wouldn't consider Yale a particularly great job--pressure to win against Harvard while not being on the same footing as Harvard (e.g., having an administration and admissions office reputedly not being as cooperative as they could be). That said, the salary target is supposedly above average compared to other northeast FCS schools, so the job should attract interest.
Klinglerware is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #627
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post

Sad day.

+1 from a Wisconsin fan who is a little iffy on Bielema.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:12 AM   #628
miami_fan
Coordinator

Report -- Mike Munchak of Tennessee Titans is Penn State Nittany Lions' top coaching choice - ESPN

Quote:
ESPN.com news services

Tennessee Titans coach Mike Munchak has been targeted for the job of Penn State head coach by a search panel tasked with finding a successor to fired Hall of Fame coach Joe Paterno, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported Tuesday.

According to the newspaper's anonymous sources, Munchak and Green Bay Packers quarterbacks coach Tom Clements are the leading candidates to replace Paterno, but Munchak is the top choice.

Munchak, who was an NFL Hall of Fame offensive lineman for the-then Houston Oilers and played on Paterno's offensive line from 1978-81, "would be a great fit" in State College, according to former PSU tailback Curt Warner.

"He's a Penn State guy," Warner told the paper. "I don't think any of his old teammates would be upset about him getting the job at all. He has my support. I'd love to see him get it."

Munchak, 51, was hired as the Titans franchise's 16th head coach in February, his first head coaching job after 14 seasons coaching Tennessee's offensive line. Before that, he started at the entry-level position as quality control assistant with the offensive staff through 1996.

Paterno was fired in November in the aftermath of child sex-abuse charges against former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky, who maintains his innocence. Paterno is not a target of the investigation.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
ESPN Conversations
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #629
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Already shot down.

Mike Munchak of Tennessee Titans has 'no interest' in Penn State Nittany Lions opening - ESPN
Old 12-31-2011, 10:40 AM   #630
BishopMVP
Coordinator

UMass is apparently hiring Phil Elmassian at DC, who has previously been DC at West Virginia, LSU, Boston College and Virginia Tech, all for only 1-2 years. Anyone from those schools have insight into him? Does he have an abrasive personality or some skeletons or something to explain the seemingly high number of parallel career moves?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #631
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

PSU looks to have moved onto Pats OC Bill O'Brien.

Quote:
New England has a recent history of grooming its offensive coordinators for head coaching jobs. Charlie Weis went from Patriots offensive coordinator to Notre Dame head coach, Josh McDaniels went from Patriots offensive coordinator to Broncos head coach, and O'Brien succeeded McDaniels in New England and has developed a tremendous reputation in league circles.

Not really sure that would be encouraging to read though.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #632
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The woes for the Vols continue this offseason, as Justin Wilcox and Peter Sirmon are headed to Washington. Great hires by Sark.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #633
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Sounds like Rich Rodriguez is close to luring WVU's defensive coordinator Jeff Casteel to Arizona. Apparently Arizona has made him an offer that exceeds what he is making here and the ball is in our court. I can see a parting of ways, as he was already paid pretty well (400K per year on a three year deal) and I can see Holgorsen wanting to move in a different direction by brining in more of his guys.

Supposedly done now and will be announced after the Orange Bowl. Rumor is it was a rift with Luck that had him leaning toward accepting the Arizona job more than any issues with Holgerson.

I heard the relationship between the offensive and defensive staffs improved quite a bit the last 3-4 weeks of the season and Lockwood is lobbying for the job, but is unlikely to get it.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #634
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
The woes for the Vols continue this offseason, as Justin Wilcox and Peter Sirmon are headed to Washington. Great hires by Sark.
Yep, very encouraging. Sark has a limited coaching circle, so for him to be able to branch outside of that to nab a hot candidate like Wilcox is great to see. Obviously it was made easier by the uncertainty at Tennessee and Dooley being on a hot seat, as well as the West Coast ties that Wilcox & Sirmon have, but still a good sign for Sark's future.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #635
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Yep, very encouraging. Sark has a limited coaching circle, so for him to be able to branch outside of that to nab a hot candidate like Wilcox is great to see. Obviously it was made easier by the uncertainty at Tennessee and Dooley being on a hot seat, as well as the West Coast ties that Wilcox & Sirmon have, but still a good sign for Sark's future.

Yeah, but now you have to route for two ducks. Doesn't that make you feel dirty?
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #636
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
Yeah, but now you have to route for two ducks. Doesn't that make you feel dirty?
A little. But don't underestimate the potential that if Riley struggles again, Wilcox could end up as your head coach in a couple years...
Old 01-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #637
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I wasn't all that concerned about Wilcox leaving Knoxville until I saw the first rumors about his replacement: Randy Shannon

The suffering in Knoxvegas seems destined to continue.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #638
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

the assistant hires in the Pac-12 are making me sick. All these guys would have been on a "rumored" staff with Wilcox as HC at ASU...Graham will have to work his butt off to recruit for sure now.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #639
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I wasn't all that concerned about Wilcox leaving Knoxville until I saw the first rumors about his replacement: Randy Shannon

The suffering in Knoxvegas seems destined to continue.

I heard something about a presser this morning. Is it to confirm Shannon as DC? Apparently the rumors are Dooley being shown the door, but I highly doubt that. Should happen, but seriuosly doubt it.

Between these defections, the PR nightmare over the guy who wants to transfer to ND but Dooley won't let him, and Da'Rick Rodgers' tweet last night about the Vols losing a ton of recruits... man, Tennessee looks an awful lot like UK right now - they have coaches who don't deserve a 3rd year, but they're going to get one anyway, setting back both programs that much more.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #640
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dooley has caved already and is giving Arnett an unconditional release.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #641
Ksyrup

I just saw he was restricting him to "close to hime," like UM or MSU. I thought he wanted to go elsewhere.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #642
Ksyrup

And he's still taken a hugely negative PR hit before this for it, anyway.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #643
Ksyrup

Ha! I don't know what he's saying, but...

edsbs edsbs
Derek Dooley should just stop talking right now.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #644
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I just saw he was restricting him to "close to hime," like UM or MSU. I thought he wanted to go elsewhere.

He is going to UM or MSU. Dooley said he couldn't go anywhere that Tennessee played or recruited against, so of course he said he can go to any MAC school. Keep in mind, the Vols have a MAC school on their 2012 schedule.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #645
Ksyrup

This isn't UT/Dooley-specific, but I hate the idea that college coaches can leave on a whim, student-athletes have 1-year, revocable scholarships, and coaches can be pricks when a player decides - for whatever reason - he'd like to play elsewhere. He's already got a 1-year penalty of having to sit out. Just let him go play wherever the fuck he wants to play.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #646
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Ha! I don't know what he's saying, but...

edsbs edsbs
Derek Dooley should just stop talking right now.

I haven't heard the presser from this morning (which was apparently to announce the Arnett release and to address various other things) but the local reaction seems to be mostly positive.

One of the bigger mistakes he's made has been to go for long stretches without talking to the media or the fan base (at least by extension via the media). He's actually a decent talker most of the time but fails to take advantage of that (one of the few positive skills he's displayed so far).

Eh, it probably doesn't matter in the long run. I can't see him winning more than 6 games with next year's schedule (which isn't that tough to begin with) and he'll be history after that hopefully.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #647
Ksyrup

My guess if that commenter was reacting to the idea that a coach should get to choose where a player goes, and maybe not necessarily anything that Dooley said wrong specifically. But that's just a guess.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #648
Logan
Head Coach

So Pats OC Bill O'Brien won't be the Penn State coach. Now looking like 49ers OC Greg Roman won't be either. Some of you guys ready to revise your prediction that this isn't that tough of a job to fill?

I'm still betting that Bradley keeps the job, despite the desire to be far removed from the previous administration.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #649
bronconick
College Starter

Wonder if they'll use their lack of a permanent President or AD right now and just keep Bradley as an "interim" HC.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #650
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

PSU is going to fall hard. This is all just part of the process. It will likely take them 2-3 hires before they can start to put it back together. You simply don't recover from a 1-2 punch of replacing a legend, a massive scandal, and pick up where you left off.