Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-08-2017, 03:51 PM   #601
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I don't understand what I'm reading on the internet... it's like the plot of some strange unrealistic soccer movie.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:40 PM   #602
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I watched the game and still have trouble comprehending what happened.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:48 PM   #603
miami_fan
Coordinator

DeClan Hill has to at least visit Paris to check out the possibilities right? I mean questions have to be asked after a collapse like this.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:45 PM   #604
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

WWOOOOO

PSG will break the bank for a GK after this...also the PSG subriddit is a mess.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:19 PM   #605
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I should probably know this, but wasn't there offside on the last goal? Is it only the goal scorer who counts for offside, because it definitely looked like there was a lone Barca player up top who was clearly offside?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:14 AM   #606
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
I should probably know this, but wasn't there offside on the last goal? Is it only the goal scorer who counts for offside, because it definitely looked like there was a lone Barca player up top who was clearly offside?

He wasn't directly involved in the play (the kick wasn't in his direction, and he wasn't blocking any PSG players from being able to react to the ball), so no offside. If the shot was parried by the keeper or bounced off a post and fell to him, it would have been offside.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 03-09-2017 at 12:16 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:52 AM   #607
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, a while back they changed the rule so that a player may be passively offside as long as he is not involved in the play (not towards him, or making a defender react to him)
Old 03-09-2017, 02:33 AM   #608
whomario
Pro Starter

Meanwhile, Pulisic played a major role in Dortmund beating Benfica with a great goal, an assist and an overall really good game. Had been better as a sub so far this season, good to see him shine playing from the start.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 03-09-2017 at 02:33 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:56 AM   #609
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Yeah, a while back they changed the rule so that a player may be passively offside as long as he is not involved in the play (not towards him, or making a defender react to him)

Ah, ok - wow, sounds like a lot more complexity for the ref to handle.
how do you know?

Old 03-09-2017, 08:02 AM   #610
Easy Mac

Yeah, I'm not sure I like the offside change. I understand it from the prospect of a guy not being affecting the play, but there are times where I see guys running to back up a cross and if the ball made it to them, they're offside, but it doesn't. Even if he doesn't touch the ball, the keeper is still cognizant of the fact that a guy is on that side and it has to affect how he plays. But its very rare that they'll blow a whistle on that.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:30 AM   #611
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure I like the offside change. I understand it from the prospect of a guy not being affecting the play, but there are times where I see guys running to back up a cross and if the ball made it to them, they're offside, but it doesn't. Even if he doesn't touch the ball, the keeper is still cognizant of the fact that a guy is on that side and it has to affect how he plays. But its very rare that they'll blow a whistle on that.

I agree. I think the keeper was clearly noticing him throughout that play and I think it had an impact on his pre-ball read.

I despise Suarez and he dived like the cheap, disgusting player he is. With that said, I have no idea why so many people are going crazy over that penalty. The defender doesn't look for the ball and raises his arm towards the chest of Suarez? Are you kidding me? From the refs vantage point, he has one call to make there.

I saw a stat this morning on the game. From the 85th minute to the 95th minute, PSG completed 4 passes. 3 of those completed passes came after Barcelona goals putting the ball in play from the center of the pitch. One of the more shocking statistics I have seen in a long, long time.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:35 AM   #612
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I was watching the game while I was working, and it was amazing to me how passive PSG played the entire game. It seemed like the one time they played assertively, Cavani scored. The rest of the game it seemed like Barcelona had the ball on the attack. When you play to not lose, you normally lose.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:40 AM   #613
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

Wholeheartedly agree. Why was this change made? It just seems like you're adding a new level of subjectivity to a sport that has way too much of it as is (all the diving and such).

I would think this could also be exploited - continually send two guys offside on the edge when the pass comes down the middle - hey, they weren't involved in the play - meanwhile, defenders and goalies have to be cognizant of where they are.
how do you know?

Old 03-09-2017, 12:29 PM   #614
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Wholeheartedly agree. Why was this change made? It just seems like you're adding a new level of subjectivity to a sport that has way too much of it as is (all the diving and such).

I would think this could also be exploited - continually send two guys offside on the edge when the pass comes down the middle - hey, they weren't involved in the play - meanwhile, defenders and goalies have to be cognizant of where they are.
The offside situated players also blocked the assistant referee's line of sight, making it impossible to see whether the player on the other side of the field is onside or offside.

"Rigged game" came up where I was watching, despite Barcelona's demotivated play between the 60th and 88th minute.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:56 PM   #615
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wholeheartedly agree. Why was this change made? It just seems like you're adding a new level of subjectivity to a sport that has way too much of it as is

Because it increases offense. Whistling for offsides when a player who isn't involved at all in the play is beyond the last defender tends to make the offsides trap pretty easy. And they were trying to increase scoring the early 1990s, especially after the ghastly 1990 World Cup.

Technically that had been the rule since 1978-9, but a lot of refs were whistling players just in an offside position because they broadly read the "seeking to gain an advantage part", which the 1995-6 rules change to "gaining an advantage".

I think the rule change has worked quite well in the last 20 years.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 03-09-2017 at 12:59 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #616
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

What offside change are we talking about? Nothing has been changed in a long time as far as I know.

Edit: Only thing I can think of is how they've tried to clarify what being actively involved really means, or what would be deemed interfering. But that those players can be offside is not something that has recently changed.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 03-09-2017 at 01:07 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:09 PM   #617
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

We're talking about the 1995-6 changes I believe. That reiterated that player who is not directly interfering with play isn't a violating of the offside rule. The discussion began because of the last Barca goal yesterday where, apparently, there was a player in an offside position who wasn't interfering with play and therefore offside wasn't called.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:18 PM   #618
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Because it increases offense. Whistling for offsides when a player who isn't involved at all in the play is beyond the last defender tends to make the offsides trap pretty easy. And they were trying to increase scoring the early 1990s, especially after the ghastly 1990 World Cup.

I think the rule change has worked quite well in the last 20 years.

Ok, that makes a lot of sense. Noob soccer fan here.
how do you know?

Old 03-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #619
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

No worries. A lot of tinkering with the offside rule is to adjust it enough so that you don't have people camping out at the opponent's goal, but also balance that with not to constrain offense so much that the game gets dull.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:13 PM   #620
whomario
Pro Starter

Remember that time when FIFA experimented with only having the whistle blown once the player touches the ball ? Now that was hilarious

I always felt that playing for offside is a strategy, not a necessity. So i kinda fail to have too much sympathy with the defense in these situations and when it is essentially a 50/50 call.

I do think there ought to be a "2-Pass-Rule", meaning a player not involved can´t be targeted with the very next pass after being judged as not involved. Because that's when he ultimately has an unfair advantage due to his positioning further up the pitch than his/the defender(s)

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 03-09-2017 at 10:15 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #621
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

Interesting match between Minnesota and Atlanta with a snow covered pitch. Looks like Atlanta may score 10 before it's over.

And SKC may get a clear cut shot on goal before the season is over, but I'm not holding my breath.
MizzouCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:38 PM   #622
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Loving the stoppage for snow removal. Minnesota is really bad.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:20 PM   #623
AlexB
Pro Starter

Got the game on in the background while playing FOF - the Minnesota fans seem really good though (assuming it's them singing)
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:07 PM   #624
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I'm not as sad as I was when I initially found out that I wouldn't be able to watch the regional broadcasts of MnUFC.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:11 PM   #625
Easy Mac

Could Adrian Heath get fired after 2 games?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:45 PM   #626
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

lofuckingl

Spoiler

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 03-12-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:46 PM   #627
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I couldn't have asked for anything more as an Atlanta fan. Snow game, orange ball, and a 6-1 victory? Great all the way through.

Poor Minnesota fans though. That front office needs to summarily fired for that roster composition.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2017, 04:27 PM   #628
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

This Leicester team is like a zombie waking up from the dead after Ranieri's firing.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:43 AM   #629
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I would give a standing ovation and lifetime employment to whoever ends Costa's career.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:45 AM   #630
kingfc22
Head Coach

Just seeing the turnaround by Leicester is all the more reason to dump Wegner now. Rip off the bandaid already!
Old 03-24-2017, 10:00 PM   #631
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Nice start
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:22 PM   #632
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Nicer start!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2017, 10:27 PM   #633
cartman
Death Herald

Nicerest start!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2017, 10:58 PM   #634
cartman
Death Herald

What's after nicerest? A goal 15 seconds into the 2nd half for Pulisic!
Old 03-24-2017, 10:59 PM   #635
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Is this real life or is this just fantasy?
Old 03-24-2017, 11:01 PM   #636
cartman
Death Herald

Holy shit. 5-0 now for the US
Old 03-24-2017, 11:02 PM   #637
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

Omg this is nuts!
MizzouCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:07 PM   #638
cartman
Death Herald

6-0! Hat trick for Dempsey on a free kick!
Old 03-24-2017, 11:07 PM   #639
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Holy fuckballs
Old 03-24-2017, 11:07 PM   #640
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

6-0? Really?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:08 PM   #641
cartman
Death Herald

They need to save some goals for Panama on Tuesday
Old 03-24-2017, 11:19 PM   #642
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Can't remember the last time they looked this good.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:34 PM   #643
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

So...it really was a coaching problem. Can't wait to watch the DVR of this.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:06 AM   #644
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Amazing what a change in coaching can do for you... I especially wonder what folks who were angry because Arena was a 'step backwards' think today?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2017, 11:37 AM   #645
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Dempsey and Pulisic surely my two favorite USA players. The latter is gonna be special.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:05 PM   #646
MIJB#19
Coordinator

I wonder what the penalty is for throwing a football on the pitch during the opponent's counter attack.

Oranje clearly deserved to lose in Bulgaria, but that was one of the weirdest time wasting attempts I've ever seen.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:07 PM   #647
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
I wonder what the penalty is for throwing a football on the pitch during the opponent's counter attack.

Oranje clearly deserved to lose in Bulgaria, but that was one of the weirdest time wasting attempts I've ever seen.

Ask Diego Simeone.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:50 AM   #648
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Ask Diego Simeone.
Ah yes, that's actually very similar to what happened.
Except that Simeone was sent off, while yesterday's referee completely ignored it.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 03-26-2017 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #649
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am seeing reports that Messi has gotten a four game ban from FIFA.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 03-28-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:44 AM   #650
miami_fan
Coordinator

FIFA hands Lionel Messi four-match ban for insulting referee in World Cup qualifier vs. Chile - ESPN FC