Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-19-2009, 06:29 PM   #601
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Farnsworth being a sunk cost actually helps the side that wants to get rid of him, actually. To quote:

Sunk costs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
In traditional microeconomic theory, only variable costs are relevant to a decision. Traditional economics proposes that an economic actor does not let sunk costs influence one's decisions, because doing so would not be rationally assessing a decision exclusively on its own merits. The decision-maker may make rational decisions according to their own incentives; these incentives may dictate different decisions than would be dictated by efficiency or profitability, and this is considered an incentive problem and distinct from a sunk cost problem.

Behavioral economics proposes the opposite: that sunk costs greatly affect actors' decisions, because humans are inherently loss aversive and thus normally act irrationally when making economic decisions.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #602
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I would argue the primary reason Royals fans are ticked at him has to do with his salary. Don't get me wrong- people are mad because he's lost 3 games (more than the rest of the team combined) but they are disproportionally mad because he got stupid money, money that could have been better spent on, say, another bat.

In short, you can't change what he was paid so quit making bad decisions based on visceral feelings. He can be a useful arm so suggest getting rid of him just because he's paid a lot (and has been badly misused).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:03 PM   #603
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Porcello pitched a gem today. This kid is going to be special.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #604
Philliesfan980
Banned

Nice comeback win from the Phils today, but I still don't have a good feeling about this season. The bats will get hot later in the summer, but I'm not sure if we'll be able to recapture the magic that was the 2008 bullpen and the overall solid bench play. Lidge looks very shaky so far this year, in all honesty, he looked shaky during the later part of 2008, but it was masked by winning the series.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:25 PM   #605
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
Nice comeback win from the Phils today, but I still don't have a good feeling about this season. The bats will get hot later in the summer, but I'm not sure if we'll be able to recapture the magic that was the 2008 bullpen and the overall solid bench play. Lidge looks very shaky so far this year, in all honesty, he looked shaky during the later part of 2008, but it was masked by winning the series.

I'm not sure if it's Lidge or the bullpen as much as it is the absence of Carlos Ruiz.

Just look at Lidge's pitch choices last night. He saved his slider for a "strike-out" pitch that never had the opportunity to arrive. Carlos was very good at handling Lidge and the bull-pen last year.

In the past few games, it's become apparent that Coste does not do a good job communicating with Philadelphia's pitchers for whatever reason. While Coste does have a better bat than Ruiz, I think we really underrated Carlo's contribution behind the plate last year.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 04-19-2009 at 07:25 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #606
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
I'm not sure if it's Lidge or the bullpen as much as it is the absence of Carlos Ruiz.

Just look at Lidge's pitch choices last night. He saved his slider for a "strike-out" pitch that never had the opportunity to arrive. Carlos was very good at handling Lidge and the bull-pen last year.

In the past few games, it's become apparent that Coste does not do a good job communicating with Philadelphia's pitchers for whatever reason. While Coste does have a better bat than Ruiz, I think we really underrated Carlo's contribution behind the plate last year.

Good point, and I agree. I'm surprised that Coste is still on the team to be honest. I'd really like to see them play a lot more of Marson in Ruiz's absense. I realize he's young, and a little raw in some areas, but I'd like to see him get an honest chance for the 15 days Ruiz is on the DL. In that time, they can make an assessment on whether Marson can backup Ruiz for the rest of the year and drop Coste.

I know everyone in this city loves Coste, but he rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it's just because he's not a high energy guy, but he always has really bad body language out there. He looks completely disinterested, and this "it's me against the world" mentality that he seems to continue to carry is getting old. He's had his 3 years of fame, but it's time to go in my opinion.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #607
RedKingGold
College Starter

When the Phils acquired Paulino, I took it as a sign that Coste was done (primarily b/c Paulino's skill is mainly as a defensive guy). So, I was surprised to see Philly keep Coste in the first place, let alone let him see the significant time he's played thus far.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 04-19-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:55 PM   #608
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
When the Phils acquired Paulino, I took it as a sign that Coste was done (primarily b/c Paulino's skill is mainly as a defensive guy). So, I was surprised to see Philly keep Coste in the first place, let alone let him see the significant time he's played thus far.

Same here, I think that was the gameplan by the Phils brass, but Paulino was pretty bad in spring training.

I know it's early, but I'm a little worried about Dobbs. It looks like he might have been a one year wonder.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #609
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I would argue the primary reason Royals fans are ticked at him has to do with his salary. Don't get me wrong- people are mad because he's lost 3 games (more than the rest of the team combined) but they are disproportionally mad because he got stupid money, money that could have been better spent on, say, another bat.

In short, you can't change what he was paid so quit making bad decisions based on visceral feelings. He can be a useful arm so suggest getting rid of him just because he's paid a lot (and has been badly misused).

SI

You know, or his ERA+ of 30 (yes, 30) so far this season .
Old 04-19-2009, 09:23 PM   #610
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wow. The Nats made some wholesale moves after blowing three straight leads. 3 RPs and a catcher down and 4 more Ps brought up.

But at least Zimmerman got signed to a long term deal

SI

Old 04-19-2009, 09:32 PM   #611
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wow. The Nats made some wholesale moves after blowing three straight leads. 3 RPs and a catcher down and 4 more Ps brought up.

From the espn.com article
reconstructing their ineffective relief corps -- which had a 6.48 ERA in 41 2/3 innings

To put that ERA in perspective, it's almost a full run better than the Braves bullpen ERA (7.36).
Old 04-19-2009, 09:55 PM   #612
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Farnsworth 0-3 16.20 ERA
Other Royals 7-2 2.62 ERA

(if my back of a napkin sketch is correct)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-19-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:26 PM   #613
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
And once again, it's 5-5 going into the bottom of the 9th. Hillman can bring in either Farnsworth or Soria. Keep in mind that if you give up even a single run, you LOSE. Who does he choose?

And of COURSE Farnsworth gives up a homer to the first batter he faces. You knew he would back in the eighth.

I went to that game today. My cousin also brought his three year old to his first game ever. The kid is a serious baseball nut. He had a blast. He went crazy when the walk-off homer was hit.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:09 AM   #614
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

No, it's Lidge.

He's on my fantasy team, so his performance shouldn't shock anybody.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:22 AM   #615
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Fairly cool story on the one of the Braves rookies ... the 21 year old college student who is Kenshin Kawakami's full-time interpreter.
Interpreter always on hand for Kawakami | ajc.com
Old 04-20-2009, 06:21 AM   #616
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Fairly cool story on the one of the Braves rookies ... the 21 year old college student who is Kenshin Kawakami's full-time interpreter.
Interpreter always on hand for Kawakami | ajc.com

Thanks for the link, Jon. The modesty and humility of the Japanese never ceases to amaze me.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:26 AM   #617
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
No, it's Lidge.

He's on my fantasy team, so his performance shouldn't shock anybody.

So, it's really your fault then.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:42 AM   #618
Butter
Coordinator

The Reds offense has been as bad as advertised so far, yet they're 6-5 thanks to some top-notch pitching and occasionally top-notch defense (despite the 3 errors yesterday, 2 of which occurred in the first inning, and led to no runs so were harmless).

The Reds have won 4 of 6 on their current roadtrip, and have maybe 8 hits total in 6 games. Alright, that's an exaggeration, but they can't hit much.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #619
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
From the espn.com article
reconstructing their ineffective relief corps -- which had a 6.48 ERA in 41 2/3 innings

To put that ERA in perspective, it's almost a full run better than the Braves bullpen ERA (7.36).

Don't forget that the Nationals blew 4 saves in 3 games (3 games in a row)

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:26 PM   #620
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Dola, the Braves come to town tonight, so we, so we'll see whose pitching is worse.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #621
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As Boyer first into the category of "longtime Brave farmhand", I'm sure Dayton Moore will be fitting him for a Royals jersey soon enough

Dayton must have been too busy admiring Farnsworth's stats.

Braves send pitcher Boyer to Cardinals | ajc.com

The Braves traded reliever Blaine Boyer to the St. Louis Cardinals Monday for outfielder Brian Barton.

Boyer, a Marietta native who had spent nine years with the Braves organization, had been designated for assignment Saturday after he struggled out of the gate this season.

Boyer had allowed six runs in 1-1/3 innings over three games for a 40.50 ERA and had struggled since the middle of last summer. He had a 14.43 ERA in 25 appearances since last July 26. Boyer will be assigned to the Cardinals’ major league roster.

For him, the Braves acquired the 27-year-old Barton, a corner outfielder, who will be assigned to AAA Gwinnett. He made his major league debut for the Cardinals last year after he was taken in the Rule 5 draft in December 2007 from the Indians.

Barton has hit .310 in 383 minor league games from 2005-2009. He hit .268 in 82 games for the Cardinals last year, with two homers and 13 RBIs.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #622
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Jordan Zimmermann makes his first MLB start tonight for the Washington Nationals. The fans and the press are expecting a lot out of this kid, we'll see how it goes -- he has not had a lot of starts at higher levels, but he was lights out in ST.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:58 AM   #623
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Joe Kerrigan's a pretty good pitching coach. I know it's early, but he's got the Pirates pitching staff pretty well straightened out so far.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #624
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Elijah Dukes of Washington Nationals fined, but Little League says it will pay - ESPN

My question on the whole Elijah Dukes / benching / fine / Little League bit is if in fact he was "giving back to the community", why'd they have to pay him $500 to do it?
Old 04-21-2009, 09:36 AM   #625
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Jordan Zimmermann makes his first MLB start tonight for the Washington Nationals. The fans and the press are expecting a lot out of this kid, we'll see how it goes -- he has not had a lot of starts at higher levels, but he was lights out in ST.

Well, he pretty much lived up to his billing. He is 22 years old and allowed 2 runs in 6 innings for his first MLB start. He gave up 6 hits, a walk, 1 HR and SO 3. He leads the Nationals starters in ERA by a good margin, granted he has fewer innings. I'm sure he will have his struggles this year, but it is good to see one of the team's pitching prospects live up to his billing.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:55 AM   #626
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I am amazed at the fact it seems like Elijah Dukes seems to have become a new person. I am not sure if it's just a cosmetic change or not, but he seems to finally get it.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #627
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I am amazed at the fact it seems like Elijah Dukes seems to have become a new person. I am not sure if it's just a cosmetic change or not, but he seems to finally get it.

I hope so. He clearly gets angry at bad calls, but he mostly keeps it to himself. His personal issues have either cleared up or been hidden well. He is a monster (in a good way) at the plate and in the field, though.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #628
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, he pretty much lived up to his billing. He is 22 years old and allowed 2 runs in 6 innings for his first MLB start. He gave up 6 hits, a walk, 1 HR and SO 3.

I think the more impressive thing to me about him (considering how incredibly poorly the Braves tend to do over the past several years against pitchers they've never seen before) was his performance after giving up the homer to Diaz.

K swinging to end the 4th
BB, bunt into DP, pop up to end the 5th
ground out, K swinging, ground out to end the 6th

0/6 with a walk after giving up a home run is pretty solid stuff for your major league debut IMO.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #629
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Someone compared Dukes to a poor man's Sheffield a few days ago (probably Neyer...?). He's not as good, but he's got similar problems at that age and enough talent that he should continue to get chances. Would be a nice story if he turned it around and had a nice career.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:45 AM   #630
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think the more impressive thing to me about him (considering how incredibly poorly the Braves tend to do over the past several years against pitchers they've never seen before) was his performance after giving up the homer to Diaz.

K swinging to end the 4th
BB, bunt into DP, pop up to end the 5th
ground out, K swinging, ground out to end the 6th

0/6 with a walk after giving up a home run is pretty solid stuff for your major league debut IMO.

He also got out of some jams. Overall it was a great first start. He definitely didn't look rattled by the pressure, the rain delay, or anything else. I am considering getting a Zimmermann jersey to compliment my Zimmerman jersey.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #631
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
He also got out of some jams. Overall it was a great first start. He definitely didn't look rattled by the pressure, the rain delay, or anything else. I am considering getting a Zimmermann jersey to compliment my Zimmerman jersey.

Make sure it says "NatiOnals" on the front.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:01 AM   #632
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Saw that story

SI

Old 04-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #633
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Make sure it says "NatiOnals" on the front.

Actually, it would be awesome to get one that doesn't.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:57 AM   #634
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Greinke vs Porcello on Friday, SI. Should be a fun one. I think we'll be seeing that one for the next decade or so. At least I hope.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #635
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Greinke vs Porcello on Friday, SI. Should be a fun one. I think we'll be seeing that one for the next decade or so. At least I hope.

I had seen that- I'd enjoy watching if it were on tv anywhere

Probably will be listening, tho. Maybe MLBN will have some look-ins

SI

Old 04-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #636
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Jayson Stark was on 810 in KC today talking about the Cubs bullpen. Is this how it's working in Chicago with Pinella? He was talking about Gregg being the closer but they really know Marmol is the better guy so he gets used for the higher leverage situations in the game.

Basically seems like what we've talked about a lot- the best pitcher is used for the highest leverage situations while the closer is basically a closer in name only to do those cushy 2 and 3 run 9th inning saves.

SI

Old 04-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #637
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Elijah Dukes of Washington Nationals fined, but Little League says it will pay - ESPN

My question on the whole Elijah Dukes / benching / fine / Little League bit is if in fact he was "giving back to the community", why'd they have to pay him $500 to do it?

My understanding of it is the little league raised the $500 once they learned he was fined. More of a statement thing.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #638
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
The Reds offense has been as bad as advertised so far, yet they're 6-5 thanks to some top-notch pitching and occasionally top-notch defense (despite the 3 errors yesterday, 2 of which occurred in the first inning, and led to no runs so were harmless).

The Reds have won 4 of 6 on their current roadtrip, and have maybe 8 hits total in 6 games. Alright, that's an exaggeration, but they can't hit much.

Phillips really needs to start hitting in the middle of the lineup.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #639
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Jayson Stark was on 810 in KC today talking about the Cubs bullpen. Is this how it's working in Chicago with Pinella? He was talking about Gregg being the closer but they really know Marmol is the better guy so he gets used for the higher leverage situations in the game.

Basically seems like what we've talked about a lot- the best pitcher is used for the highest leverage situations while the closer is basically a closer in name only to do those cushy 2 and 3 run 9th inning saves.

SI

It doesn't match up with Pinella's actions, though. Marmol was named the closer out of spring training, blew his first save opportunity, and then the job was given to Gregg.

Last edited by Atocep : 04-21-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:29 PM   #640
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
My understanding of it is the little league raised the $500 once they learned he was fined. More of a statement thing.

Yes, but it also says he was paid $500 for the appearance as well. So it's costing the Little League $1000 for him to have appeared.

I get why they may want to pay the fine, I just don't get the disconnect between "he was paid $500 for the appearance" and "he was giving back to the community".

Unless the article confused the situation and misstated the facts (gasp!).
Old 04-21-2009, 01:38 PM   #641
Logan
Head Coach

$500 for an appearance by a current major leaguer seems extremely cheap, so it may be in that sense. I have no clue about this, but maybe in order to promote an appearance or to raise funds from a baseball player appearance, you need to pay some sort of minimum fee?
Old 04-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #642
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Phillips really needs to start hitting in the middle of the lineup.

It's been suggested that Phillips be moved down to 6th in the order and to move Edwin Encarnacion up to 4th. I don't know if that would change very much, but Phillips is a double play machine with men on base. He is 0 for his last 17 and is indeed killing the middle of the order right now. Yet they're still 7-5, and Phillips will be given another few weeks at least to see if he can hit his way out of this slump, or if indeed his move to cleanup was ill-advised.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:09 PM   #643
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Phillips' history says he shouldn't be batting fourth. He has a below league average OPS for his career. Sixth is probably too high, but when you have to find spots for Gonzalez and Hernandez it's probably best.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:31 PM   #644
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

When did Rick Ankiel become a porn star?
Old 04-21-2009, 07:34 PM   #645
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
$500 for an appearance by a current major leaguer seems extremely cheap, so it may be in that sense.

That's how I took it. Standard I've run across for years is in the several thousand dollar range even for low end guys.

Hell, $500 won't even roll a middling morning show talent in market #125 out for an hour.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-21-2009 at 07:36 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #646
zums
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It doesn't match up with Pinella's actions, though. Marmol was named the closer out of spring training, blew his first save opportunity, and then the job was given to Gregg.

ummm... wha? gregg was named the closer out of spring training after he gave up 0 runs all spring and marmol missed some time with the WBC. marmol even made some comments about how there was no actual competition but then repented after a "nice little chat" with piniella.

gregg has actually blown one save and lost a game where he came in with the score tied, while this role with marmol was on display this past week vs. the cardinals when cotts came in and walked two and nobody out and he gets (i believe) ludwick, pujols, and duncan with no balls leaving the infield.

any cub fan i know was rejoicing when gregg was named the closer so marmol was free to put out any fires in the 6th, 7th, or 8th inning.
zums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #647
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zums View Post
ummm... wha? gregg was named the closer out of spring training after he gave up 0 runs all spring and marmol missed some time with the WBC.

Glad I'm not the only person who remembered this. It's why Gregg was drafted in every fantasy league I'm in & Marmol wasn't.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-21-2009 at 08:09 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:24 PM   #648
Logan
Head Coach

Haha yeah, Marmol was drafted in mine because it was before the announcement...I picked Gregg up off waivers.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:50 PM   #649
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
When did Rick Ankiel become a porn star?

Haha, that is a pretty sweet 'stache he's rocking out there.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:56 PM   #650
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

horribly lazy play by Beltran