Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-30-2008, 08:35 PM   #601
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

My heart cant take much more of this shit.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:19 PM   #602
Pyser
Pro Rookie

man, these 2 round series suck.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:23 PM   #603
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Tough, tough breaks for the Avs all series. It's being reported that Forsberg is out tonight. As expected, Colorado will also be without Statsny, Smyth, and Woloski. That's 4 out of their top 6 forwards gone. Brutal.

The Wings need to put the Avs out of their misery tonight. No one else needs to get hurt and we don't need anyone getting healthy for games 5, 6 or 7.

As they say in "Mortal Kombat": FINISH THEM!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #604
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Tough, tough breaks for the Avs all series. It's being reported that Forsberg is out tonight. As expected, Colorado will also be without Statsny, Smyth, and Woloski. That's 4 out of their top 6 forwards gone. Brutal.

don't forget Svatos, who was 2nd on the team in goals.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #605
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
don't forget Svatos, who was 2nd on the team in goals.

It's hard to keep track of the guys who didn't even get hurt during this series. At the moment, I can only think of two Avs, Sakic and Brunette, who would qualify as a top six forward.

Considering the number and significance of all these injuries, other than Game 2, the Avs have really put forth an impressive effort in this series.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-01-2008, 01:43 PM   #606
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I just wonder if we've seen the last of Peter Forsberg.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #607
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

What kind of penalty shot was that?

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #608
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

A bad one.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:46 PM   #609
Logan
Head Coach

I gotta say that a couple of the penalties called on the Pens (namely the last one on Prucha and the holding call on Letang) were pretty shitty.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:42 PM   #610
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

lol at Gonchar vs Rosival

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #611
Logan
Head Coach

Stay classy Evgeni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post

Rosy would've fucked him up if Gonchar wasn't being a bitch about taking his shield off.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:47 PM   #612
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

They were really swinging their purses at each other.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 05-01-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:48 PM   #613
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Hooray for competitive series.

Now I'm just hoping that

a) the Rangers don't get swept
b) someone destroys Hossa

a) Yay for game 5.
b) Not destroyed but a nice solid hit from Girardi that caused Crosby and Malkin to get penalties.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:34 PM   #614
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Will the real Colorado Avalanche, please sit down?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:49 PM   #615
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I think all of the injuries finally caught up with the Avs. Trying to beat a very good team without five out of your top six forwards is nearly impossible, especially when the very good team is playing as well as the Wings were tonight. They were really firing on all cylinders tonight. Perfect puck control, great passing, a solid performance all the way around. Zetterberg's goal where he was spinning around was just sick.

Not a bad night for Detroit sports. Tigers sweep the Yankees. Pistons finally knockoff the 76ers to advance to the second round. And the Wings sweep Colorado. Not too shabby...
Old 05-01-2008, 11:54 PM   #616
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I think all of the injuries finally caught up with the Avs. Trying to beat a very good team without five out of your top six forwards is nearly impossible, especially when the very good team is playing as well as the Wings were tonight. They were really firing on all cylinders tonight. Perfect puck control, great passing, a solid performance all the way around. Zetterberg's goal where he was spinning around was just sick.

Not a bad night for Detroit sports. Tigers sweep the Yankees. Pistons finally knockoff the 76ers to advance to the second round. And the Wings sweep Colorado. Not too shabby...

I don't suppose you want to add that the Toledo Mud Hens advanced to a league best 18-9 for the day too.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:12 AM   #617
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I thought for sure there would be at least a page in this thread dedicated to Dan Girardi bitching to the ref after the call rewarding Malkin's PS. He was looking VERY Crosby-like there

Seriously, what was his issue? He had no stick and attempted (badly) to tackle or shove or I don't know what Malkin FROM BEHIND. That is a penalty shot, what is he crying about?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:27 AM   #618
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Seriously, what was his issue? He had no stick and attempted (badly) to tackle or shove or I don't know what Malkin FROM BEHIND. That is a penalty shot, what is he crying about?

Those were tears of laughter because he saw Crosby's "playoff beard". He either drew it on with a Sharpie, or glued a bunch of leg hair to his face.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 05-02-2008 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:42 AM   #619
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
Those were tears of laughter because he saw Crosby's "playoff beard". He either drew it on with a Sharpie, or glued a bunch of leg hair to his face.

Just wait til he hits puberty
Old 05-02-2008, 07:30 AM   #620
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Can someone explain why Malkin got the penalty shot? Was it just because he was so far ahead of the Ranger defender when he was pushed from behind, because just thinking out loud, I see players get pushed all the time from others that don't have sticks. He didnt pull Malkin down either.

I'm not saying it was a bad call, I am just curious of the explanation.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:30 AM   #621
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I thought for sure there would be at least a page in this thread dedicated to Dan Girardi bitching to the ref after the call rewarding Malkin's PS. He was looking VERY Crosby-like there

Should I be embarrassed or excited that my 6th d-man bitches on a level of the savior of the NHL? Girardi had the worst game of his career last night, so the bitching was probably frustration. That or he was trying to sell the ref that the puck didn't go in until after contact was made. I should say that it was his worst game until he rocked the hell out of Hossa. That made up for much of it.

Serious question...let's say Malkin went in on that breakaway as slow as he did the penalty shot, and Girardi caught up with him without his stick. Could he have legally used his hands to lift Malkin's stick, as if he had his stick to lift it?
Old 05-02-2008, 07:37 AM   #622
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Can someone explain why Malkin got the penalty shot? Was it just because he was so far ahead of the Ranger defender when he was pushed from behind, because just thinking out loud, I see players get pushed all the time from others that don't have sticks. He didnt pull Malkin down either.

I'm not saying it was a bad call, I am just curious of the explanation.

I think the rules with pushing are different on a breakaway. Emrick pretty much quoted the rule and it sounded like the right call. Girardi's push was enough to sorta push Malkin's feet out from underneath him for a second (of course, it still wasn't a slew foot).
Old 05-02-2008, 08:34 AM   #623
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Serious question...let's say Malkin went in on that breakaway as slow as he did the penalty shot, and Girardi caught up with him without his stick. Could he have legally used his hands to lift Malkin's stick, as if he had his stick to lift it?

No, that's a holding the stick penalty.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:42 AM   #624
MikeVic
Head Coach

Did I see a Rangers player complain about the Pens being classless this morning?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:46 AM   #625
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
No, that's a holding the stick penalty.

Even if he used his arm to lift the stick straight up, just as if his arm was a stick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Did I see a Rangers player complain about the Pens being classless this morning?

Intent to injure - twice - is being classy?
Old 05-02-2008, 08:52 AM   #626
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Even if he used his arm to lift the stick straight up, just as if his arm was a stick?

I think with the Avery Rule thing, I just found it funny that a Ranger player was saying another team is classless. I didn't see what he was talking about, that just stuck out to me.

I've talked to a couple of people that said they stopped watching the playoffs when they saw Avery do that goalie thing, because "it wasn't hockey." I haven't heard of a reaction like this to the event before... has anyone else talked to someone that said the same thing?
Old 05-02-2008, 08:53 AM   #627
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Should I be embarrassed or excited that my 6th d-man bitches on a level of the savior of the NHL? Girardi had the worst game of his career last night, so the bitching was probably frustration. That or he was trying to sell the ref that the puck didn't go in until after contact was made. I should say that it was his worst game until he rocked the hell out of Hossa. That made up for much of it.

My guess is no, that would be a holding the stick penalty, wouldn't it? If he had been even with Malkin, I think the hit would have been OK.

So it's OK when you are a whiner, if you are a depth defensemen (which I thought his pairing was the "shutdown" pair anyway)?

Quote:
I think the rules with pushing are different on a breakaway. Emrick pretty much quoted the rule and it sounded like the right call. Girardi's push was enough to sorta push Malkin's feet out from underneath him for a second (of course, it still wasn't a slew foot).

Continuing from above, he had a step on Girardi. And Girardi made no play on the puck. Penalty shot.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:57 AM   #628
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
So it's OK when you are a whiner, if you are a depth defensemen (which I thought his pairing was the "shutdown" pair anyway)?

No, no one cares if you're a whiner when you're a depth defenseman. People care if you're a whiner when you are the face of the NHL and the "casual fan" the league is trying to pull in laugh that this guy is our league's savior.

And Girardi is a nice defenseman but in no way is he a shutdown guy. His job isn't guaranteed for next season.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:57 AM   #629
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

The second he put his hands on Malkin's stick (that sounds dirty!) it SHOULD be a penalty, doesn't mean it would be called. There was a Pens game this year, blanking on the game, but it was questioned whether if a player dropped his stick, could a player from the opposing team pick up his stick and use it, and they felt it would be an unsportsmanlike call. Granted, this was the two nitwits on FSN Pittsburgh, so who knows it that is right. But I'd think they could also call something like that on Girardi in that case-- he still wouldn't be playing the puck.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:01 AM   #630
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
No, no one cares if you're a whiner when you're a depth defenseman. People care if you're a whiner when you are the face of the NHL and the "casual fan" the league is trying to pull in laugh that this guy is our league's savior.

And Girardi is a nice defenseman but in no way is he a shutdown guy. His job isn't guaranteed for next season.

Oh I get that, that Crosby is the face of the NHL. But Girardi made a desparation play, but it turned out to be a good penalty. Don't get up and pretend you did nothing wrong. I didn't see Crosby yapping when he and Malkin took the roughing calls.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:04 AM   #631
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

Almost every soccer player in history is a whiner, and that sport is doing fine. I actually started not liking soccer because of all the diving and horrible officiating. Hockey seems to be going down that road more, and I don't like it.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #632
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

My understanding would be yes, that's still a penalty. You aren't really supposed to use your arms for anything other than holding your own stick (or I guess deflecting the puck). If you have no stick you need to shoulder check. This is why, if you watch closely, a guy can 2-hand cross check an opponent in the back 15 times in front of the net, but as soon as he takes one of his hands off his stick and gets his free arm on the guy, he gets a penalty.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 05-02-2008, 10:57 AM   #633
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Oh I get that, that Crosby is the face of the NHL. But Girardi made a desparation play, but it turned out to be a good penalty. Don't get up and pretend you did nothing wrong. I didn't see Crosby yapping when he and Malkin took the roughing calls.

My point was that there's a difference between complaining about a penalty and the other transgressions that people believe Crosby is responsible for.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:35 PM   #634
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Breaking news from Ottawa... a full scale brawl broke out at today's Senators practice. Got pretty ugly.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:42 PM   #635
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Breaking news from Ottawa... a full scale brawl broke out at today's Senators practice. Got pretty ugly.

Are you sure? I thought I saw Wendel Clarke in there...
Old 05-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #636
MikeVic
Head Coach

So...

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...parisza01.html

Where's your Scott Gomez sponsoring??
Old 05-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #637
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Or better yet...Colin White?
Old 05-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #638
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Hey you Devils fans... did Travis Zajac play in the Rangers series? I didn't see him during the game I was at, and didn't get to see any other games.

If he didn't play, why not?
Old 05-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #639
Logan
Head Coach

Pretty sure he played, not a ton though.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #640
Pyser
Pro Rookie

he played. that pretty much sums up his entire 2nd season.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:58 PM   #641
sabotai
General Manager

Flyers close it out 4 games to 1. Their series with the Pens will be a good one.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:11 PM   #642
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Flyers close it out 4 games to 1. Their series with the Pens will be a good one.

I just got game 4 tickets in Philly. I'll finally get to go to a Pens/Flyers game where i am not outnumbered 10,000 to 1.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #643
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I just got game 4 tickets in Philly. I'll finally get to go to a Pens/Flyers game where i am not outnumbered 10,000 to 1.

What if the Pens win it in 3?
Old 05-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #644
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
What if the Pens win it in 3?

Ha!

Did you see Umberger's first goal today? Pretty sweet!
Old 05-03-2008, 11:29 PM   #645
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ha!

Did you see Umberger's first goal today? Pretty sweet!

That was very nice. Great way to finish it off tonight, coming back from 3-1 down.

Just finished watching the game actually. My oldest daughter had her dance recital tonight so I had to DVR it and avoid anything that may give away the results. My sister almost ruined it thouh with her call "We're listening to the Flyers game on the way home..." "Stop!!!! Tell me nothing!!!"
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:55 AM   #646
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post

I'm really not a homer, but I truly think the Rangers will come back and win the series.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #647
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
I'm really not a homer, but I truly think the Rangers will come back and win the series.

You're right, you're not a homer. That kind of belief goes WAY beyond simple homerism.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #648
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
So...

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...parisza01.html

Where's your Scott Gomez sponsoring??
Doh! I didn't even do that. Someone I know up in Alberta (I think) did that for me. That was good forward thinking on his part, though.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 05-04-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:27 PM   #649
MikeVic
Head Coach

So... that's not a penalty shot because he was kinda even with a Ranger or something? I don't know?
Old 05-04-2008, 02:51 PM   #650
Logan
Head Coach

It wasn't a breakaway.

And not a good start at all. Absolutely no offensive game.