Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-08-2017, 08:43 AM   #6401
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Indeed. Travis Knight's (the director) wife's family is Buddhist, so it wasn't just random stuff he was doing. Anyways, Kubo is one of my favorite films of 2016, and by far my favorite animated film (I really like Zootopia too, but it doesn't hold a candle to Kubo, IMO).
Old 02-09-2017, 09:23 AM   #6402
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Manchester by the Sea - 9.5/10: A beautifully done movie on grief and how it affects people. Casey Affleck is just amazing in the lead role (and Michelle Williams is great as the ex wife). You can feel the power and impact of massive loss and grief in every little action that Affleck does. And the script, wow. I especially like that they really don't 'Hollywood' any of it. It's incredibly raw and powerful.

Hidden Figures - 7/10: A good, but not great, film about black women at NASA. In contrast to Manchester by the Sea, this was really Hollywooded up, but it told a good story well about something most people didn't know about, so I can't fault it too much. Taraji P. Henson is just a fantastic actress and who knew Janelle Monae could act?
Old 02-14-2017, 08:43 PM   #6403
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Arrival - */10

I think I have used this copout before in this thread...but I need more time to decide what I think.

Previews are pushing the positive reception - and deservedly so. Really hard to dislike the movie, I think - it's very well conceived, well shot, and well acted. Amy Adams is excellent, even if Jeremy Renner is a bit flat.

As for what the movie is, that's tougher. There's a bit of Close Encounters in the premise, but I think the fairer comparison might be Contact in that most of the drama remains human drama, and it tries to raise questions of a similar big-picture nature. It has a Nolan-esque feel, perhaps a bit like Interstellar, but that isn't really fair either. If you read Heinlein's Stranger In A Strange Land, you're getting closer - especially with that novel's exploration of (in that book) the Martian language as the only real tool by which to "grok" things on that deeper level.

The movie does plod, I think. I don't think this is an accident, nor is it excessive (there are many scenes where we almost alarmingly completely skip over nuts and bolts, which probably saves us 10-20 minutes of either boring mechanics or artificial drama). People who see space stuff in the poster/promo and think this might be an action or suspense movie will be disappointed. This is an introspective drama, the science-space setting is really just a vehicle.

I think I will end up rating it about 8 out of 10. If I think about it a lot in the next week, then I'll give them more credit for accomplishing that goal, and notch that upward some.

Finally saw this tonight. Think they should have gone with the original title "Amy Adams vs. The Tralfamadorians". It's essentially the guts of Slaughterhouse Five without the Dresden bits, isn't it?
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:50 AM   #6404
Suicane75
Coordinator

Proxy: For the first hour or so I was thinking to myself, "self, this is the best movie you've seen in a long time." And then the second hour happens and I was like "well that fell off a cliff."

The first hour of this movie is tension to the max, great subtle acting and a bizarre but accessible story about trauma, grief and mysterious intentions that had me on the edge of my seat. And then there's a pivotal scene that should probably have been the ending but instead is just the beggining of the movies less than thrilling 2nd half where the whole reason you were invested is kind of thrown out the window for a sub standard, schlocky story about characters you don't really care about and it's kind of like just wading through to get to the end.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:09 AM   #6405
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I movie binged this week...

Manchester by the Sea 9.5/10
Arrival 8/10
Why Him? 7/10
Edge of Seventeen 7/10

All good to great movies that are worth your time to see. Why Him might depend on your sense of humor though. I see it didn't do good at RT, but I find their numbers very random.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #6406
korme
Go Reds

Here is how I would rank the Best Oscar Shorts, in which I saw all 10 last night.

ANIMATED
Pear Cider and Cigarettes 8/10
Pearl 6/10
Piper 6/10
Borrowed Time 5/10
Blind Vaysha 3/10

LIVE ACTION
Enemies Within 8/10
La Femme et le TGV 8/10
Silent Nights 7/10
Mindenki 5/10
Timecode 5/10

Overall, I was satsified with all of the shorts last year more so than this time around.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:21 PM   #6407
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Here is how I would rank the Best Oscar Shorts, in which I saw all 10 last night.

ANIMATED
Pearl 6/10
Piper 6/10
Borrowed Time 5/10
Blind Vaysha 3/10

LIVE ACTION
Enemies Within 8/10
La Femme et le TGV 8/10
Silent Nights 7/10
Mindenki 5/10
Timecode 5/10

Overall, I was satsified with all of the shorts last year more so than this time around.

Awesome! I'm going to see them all a week from tomorrow.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:29 PM   #6408
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Awesome! I'm going to see them all a week from tomorrow.

Cool. They actually showed 8 short animations on the reel here, of which I liked some of them more than the nominees, so I'll be curious to see if you get the same show.

Not up for awards were The Head Vanishes, Asteria and Once Upon a Line.

Last edited by korme : 02-17-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #6409
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Cool. They actually showed 8 short animations on the reel here, of which I liked some of them more than the nominees, so I'll be curious to see if you get the same show.

Not up for awards were The Head Vanishes, Asteria and Once Upon a Line.

Last year, they showed some extra animated shorts as well, because the nominated ones were all pretty, well, short.

I'll let you know.

They've run this program at the Detroit Art Institute for a few years now and it's definitely one of the things I look forward to each year.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-18-2017, 12:14 AM   #6410
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Requiem For The American Dream - 10/10

I don't always agree with Chomsky, but his insightfulness is always thought provoking.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:45 AM   #6411
Suicane75
Coordinator

Bad Santa 2: I love Billy Bob Thorton, I'll watch, and pretty much blindly enjoy anything he's in. So going in, even though I knew this was probably not going to be near as good as the first one, I was looking forward to a few laughs here and there, Christina Hendricks being naughty and Kathy Bates anchoring the film from an acting standpoint. I figured with all those things going for it it had to be at least a passable 2am fun flick.

It is fucking horrible. I laughed once, and that didn't happen till the last 5 minutes.

The script is shit, the story seems to have had about 5 minutes of thought put into it and the editing is like trying to fish pieces of poop out of a toilet and assemble them back together to make one coherent turd.

The entire thing feels like a cash grab where every aspect of it is given as little attention as possible, to somewhat resemble the vague format of a movie.

I guess Bates is trying. That's the most praise I can give. Thorton is sleepwalking his way through his lines, which aren't any good to begin with. The black midget is given entirely too big a role, and he really should not have more than 3 lines given his acting acumen. Hendricks plays a nympho dirty talking slut that somehow manages to never show any skin. I'm pretty sure she's wearing a parka throughout the whole movie, even in her sex scenes.

Everything in this movie is just sad.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:39 PM   #6412
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Arrival - */10

I think I have used this copout before in this thread...but I need more time to decide what I think.

Previews are pushing the positive reception - and deservedly so. Really hard to dislike the movie, I think - it's very well conceived, well shot, and well acted. Amy Adams is excellent, even if Jeremy Renner is a bit flat.

As for what the movie is, that's tougher. There's a bit of Close Encounters in the premise, but I think the fairer comparison might be Contact in that most of the drama remains human drama, and it tries to raise questions of a similar big-picture nature. It has a Nolan-esque feel, perhaps a bit like Interstellar, but that isn't really fair either. If you read Heinlein's Stranger In A Strange Land, you're getting closer - especially with that novel's exploration of (in that book) the Martian language as the only real tool by which to "grok" things on that deeper level.

The movie does plod, I think. I don't think this is an accident, nor is it excessive (there are many scenes where we almost alarmingly completely skip over nuts and bolts, which probably saves us 10-20 minutes of either boring mechanics or artificial drama). People who see space stuff in the poster/promo and think this might be an action or suspense movie will be disappointed. This is an introspective drama, the science-space setting is really just a vehicle.

I think I will end up rating it about 8 out of 10. If I think about it a lot in the next week, then I'll give them more credit for accomplishing that goal, and notch that upward some.

Yeah, just watched it and it's going to have to percolate for for a time.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:42 PM   #6413
Groundhog
Coordinator

Got free tickets to the movies this week, and trying to decide between Moonlight, Manchester by the Sea, or Silence. Already seen the 1971 version of Silence, so right now I'd say Moonlight is in the lead.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:24 AM   #6414
Johnny93g
College Starter

A week away from the oscars, so its time for me to list my top 2016 films. Still havent seen everything i want to but i have seen alot, including all the oscar best film noms...

2016 Top Films

1. Hacksaw Ridge- Mel Gibson is a great director. He made all the right choices here. Garfield has turned into a star, and he’s wonderful. I also loved the subtle tenderness of Vince Vaughan’s character. I felt he brought something different to that type of character. Please god, just one more!

2. Manchester by the Sea- Casey Affleck is my choice for best actor. He crushed it. The look on his face throughout the whole film told us so much. It was the moment in-between the dialogue which really did it for me. It’s a heartbreaking movie that really got to me.

3. Hidden Figures. I went in expecting to enjoy it, and I was not let down. I really easy to like tale of space history. I am not a fan of Octavia Spencer. She is one of those actors that just annoys me, but she avoided that here. Excellent movie that I will enjoy multiple viewings of.

4. All the Way- the Bryan Cranston HBO film about LBJ’s time in office. Great great acting. Not Oscar eligible, being a TV movie, but I’ve already watched it in full twice!

5. The Finest Hours- Just something about this film that, for lack of a better word, agreed with me. I think it succeeded where many similar tales don’t. The way the story was told from 3 perspectives, effectively, is hard to do.

6. Snowden- JGL is a great actor, and he becomes Edward Snowden. It’s the kind of story Oliver Stone was born to tell. He’s great with these type of exposé films.

7. Hell of High Water- Very simple tale of two brothers robbing banks. Big Ben Foster fan here. He’s always excellent. Becoming a fan of Chris Pine. Always been a Jeff Bridges fan.

8. Demolition- Definitely not everyone’s cup of tea, but Jake Gyllenhaal is so good here. It’s dark, and quirky, but also very poignant at times.

9. The Nice Guys- Easily, the funniest film of the year. Gosling played such a friggin loser, he played great against Russell Crowe. Fantastic chemistry. Laughed loudly through the whole thing!

10. The Founder- I loved this film. Keaton plays Ray Croc, who turned McDonalds into McDonalds. Lots of stuff I wasn’t aware of. Fascinating movie.

Honorable mention
The Accountant, Silence, Arrival, Race, Passengers.

Most Disappointing
Fences (it wasn’t bad, but I need more of a plot. I expected much more)
Lala Land (With all the hype, I expected something special, even though I don’t like movies like this. I didn’t like it at all)
Midnight Special (I loved Jeff Nichols Mud, and Take Shelter. I expected to love this, and it completely missed with me)

Oscar Picks: (Who I want to win)
Hacksaw Ridge for Best Picture.
Casey Affleck for Best Actor.
Natalie Portman for Best Actress.
Michael Shannon for Best Supporting Actor.
Michelle Williams for Best Supporting Actress.
Mel Gibson for Best Director.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:52 AM   #6415
Suicane75
Coordinator

The Founder: Kind of disappointed in this film. It always felt like, right when it was about to get rolling (the business side of things), it would take a detour into the unnecessary (the romantic side of things). Laura Dern is just friggin unpleasant to look at, at this point, and it's not her age or that she's ugly per se, but her face looks like she's smelled a bad fart and then turned to stone. It's one expression, one unpleasant expression.

The stuff with Keatons character and the McDonald brothers would have been better served to be more fleshed out and I wish there was a lot more interaction between all of them, as that's far and away the best part of the movie. The financial aspects also seemed to get short thrift until about 3/4th of the way through the movie.

Not a bad movie, but nowhere near as good as I hoping for.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #6416
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
A week away from the oscars, so its time for me to list my top 2016 films. Still havent seen everything i want to but i have seen alot, including all the oscar best film noms...

2016 Top Films

4. All the Way- the Bryan Cranston HBO film about LBJ’s time in office. Great great acting. Not Oscar eligible, being a TV movie, but I’ve already watched it in full twice!

Definitely want to see this one. If you liked this, try "Path to War" - another HBO movie about LBJ.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:45 AM   #6417
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Arrival - */10

This was a miss for me but with a back story. My writer friend in LA is so high on this movie and the script and during a visit a month or so ago he pointed to something in the opening of the movie that ends up being a spoiler (I was the only person at the table who hadn't seen the movie). He didn't give me the spoiler, but because of what he pointed out, I spent the whole movie trying to figure it out rather than enjoying much of what is good about the movie. Just a weird thing that really affected how I watched the movie and what I thought about it.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:45 PM   #6418
tarcone
Coordinator

The Commitments 9/10

On netflix now. I give the story a 7. The music gets a 10. So I went 9, because I will watch it again. This is from 1991. A buddy loved it, but I never watched it. Sory I didnt see it earlier.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:39 PM   #6419
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Hidden Figures 8/10
I went in with little enthusiasm, but it turned out to be a great movie and I am so glad I gave it a chance.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:49 PM   #6420
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
This was a miss for me but with a back story. My writer friend in LA is so high on this movie and the script and during a visit a month or so ago he pointed to something in the opening of the movie that ends up being a spoiler (I was the only person at the table who hadn't seen the movie). He didn't give me the spoiler, but because of what he pointed out, I spent the whole movie trying to figure it out rather than enjoying much of what is good about the movie. Just a weird thing that really affected how I watched the movie and what I thought about it.

OK, so find out what the spoiler was and tag it for us. I am interested to know what it is.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:16 PM   #6421
korme
Go Reds

GET OUT - Spurned by the early RT score, I left pretty disappointed. I liked the premise and there were certainly promising elements from director Jordan Peele, but there were too many plot holes I couldn't get around. 5/10

I AM NOT YOUR NEGRO - Documentary primarily centered around the civil rights struggles from the 60's, with narration by Samuel L. Jackson with the words and focus of James Baldwin. Powerful and moving stuff, but it didn't present me with anything I didn't already know or any new ways to look at the world. Still, I was left in considerable thought afterwards and it will probably resonate with me for some time. 8/10

Last edited by korme : 02-24-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:34 PM   #6422
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
OK, so find out what the spoiler was and tag it for us. I am interested to know what it is.

Confused. I saw the movie so I know what it was. Did you see it? If so, read on.

Spoiler
Old 02-24-2017, 03:39 PM   #6423
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
GET OUT - Spurned by the early RT score, I left pretty disappointed. I liked the premise and there were certainly promising elements from director Jordan Peele, but there were too many plot holes I couldn't get around. 5/10

Damn, korme! That is the first negative review I've seen about this film anywhere.

I'm not sure if I'll see it in the theater or not.

One quick, non-spoilery question: For someone who doesn't like horror movies at all, is this really a horror film or more of an intense thriller type film?

I love horror films, my girlfriend, not so much.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:48 PM   #6424
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Damn, korme! That is the first negative review I've seen about this film anywhere.

I'm not sure if I'll see it in the theater or not.

One quick, non-spoilery question: For someone who doesn't like horror movies at all, is this really a horror film or more of an intense thriller type film?

I love horror films, my girlfriend, not so much.

It isn't horror, it is definitely thriller with mixed in bits of comedy. Some stuff I just couldn't get past as a logical person. Both my company and I agreed when walking out that it was 'ok'.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:31 AM   #6425
Edward64
Head Coach

Hacksaw Ridge - 8/10

Really enjoyed it.

It was more 50-50 character background vs. war (unlike Saving Private Ryan) and still had the enough brutality (e.g. realism?) for me to wince numerous times.

I do think they could have added a tad more war. In the movie, it implied Okinawa was his first battle but according to IMDB he had already won some citations indicating that he had proven himself already.

Some corny moments but overall a great movie.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:31 PM   #6426
Edward64
Head Coach

Hidden Figures - 9/10

This was one of the most entertaining movie that I can remember. Went to see it with daughter (small encouragement into STEM!). I'm sure there were some embellishments but thought acting was great, the visuals looked pretty authentic to me, and the story was inspirational.

I'm also a Kevin Costner fan (Waterworld & The Postman wasn't that bad). its good to see he is finding some nice acting as he winds down his leading man roles.

Rooting for Hidden Figures to win some Oscars.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:16 AM   #6427
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

ANIMATED
Pearl 6/10
Piper 6/10
Borrowed Time 5/10
Blind Vaysha 3/10

LIVE ACTION
Enemies Within 8/10
La Femme et le TGV 8/10
Silent Nights 7/10
Mindenki 5/10
Timecode 5/10

I finally saw these last night. We didn't get any extra shorts, just the nominees.

Our lists differ in a few spots:

ANIMATED

Pearl 7/10
Borrowed Time 7/10
Piper 6/10
Blind Vaysha 4/10
Pear Cider and Cigarettes 2/10

LIVE ACTION
Enemies Within 8/10
La Femme et le TGV 8/10
Mindenki 7/10
Timecode 7/10
Silent Nights 2/10

I found "Pear Cider and Cigarettes" to be painful. The dude couldn't die soon enough. I really loved the animation, but the rest of it was awful. It was a dull story about an alcoholic sensation junkie chalk full of a bunch of useless random details. I didn't understand why the narrator was friends with this guy. I didn't see his appeal. It was pretty, but repetitive and dull and the 30 minutes felt like 90 minutes.

There was no animated short that really jumped out at me. Piper was cute in a very Pixar way. Borrowed Time and Pearl were nice, little stories. I think Blind Vashya had the potential to be the best, but it fell apart. It could have done better with a cool idea. The whole breaking the fourth wall bit at the end really blew it.

I think we both agree that "Enemies Within" was the best live action short. It was really quite great. We also agree on the "Woman And The TGV". I seem like the Hungarian singing one and the parking garage dancing one a bit more than you.

I absolutely hated "Silent Night." I found the writing to be horrible and it was borderline offensive in several aspects. Awful nonsense.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:34 AM   #6428
SteveM58
Mascot

I guess I love me some Amy Adams....

Arrival 8/10
Thought it was well done and as I saw earlier in the thread...not too heavy handed with the introspection. Good premise and thought provoking.

Nocturnal Animals 10/10

Best movie I've seen in recent memory. Engaging, terrifying at times, and a complete mindfuck type of movie that you want to rewatch. It does have "one of those" endings where some people might be annoyed that you are left to form conclusions. But I thought it was a great character study and, while it does draw things out, it is appropriately paced for what the story is conveying. And I personally think Amy Adams does her best work since American Hustle here.
SteveM58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:08 AM   #6429
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Moonlight - 7/10: I thought this was a good artistic coming of age film, but I thought it was somewhat overrated. Now that could be because my expectations were too high. But the story was good and the acting was good (Mahershala Ali and Janelle Monae were great). But I just left the film feeling that was good... but not great.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:37 PM   #6430
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Confused. I saw the movie so I know what it was. Did you see it? If so, read on.

Spoiler

I did see it, but I don't remember anything being an out-and-out spoiler early on. I do realize that the voiceover was obviously coming from the "future" though. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:51 PM   #6431
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM58 View Post

Nocturnal Animals 10/10

Best movie I've seen in recent memory. Engaging, terrifying at times, and a complete mindfuck type of movie that you want to rewatch. It does have "one of those" endings where some people might be annoyed that you are left to form conclusions. But I thought it was a great character study and, while it does draw things out, it is appropriately paced for what the story is conveying. And I personally think Amy Adams does her best work since American Hustle here.

I think it was probably an 8/10 for me, but I did enjoy this quite a bit. Had no idea what it was about going in, which helped. I think the ending worked well in the context of the story, without giving too much away.

The Light Between Oceans - 6/10
A bit of a dark story this one... A lighthouse keeper (Fassbender) on a remote island and his wife go through several miscarriages when a boat washes ashore with a dead father and his still-alive daughter, and they decide to raise the child as their own and cover up all traces of the father and his boat. Billed as a "romantic period film" which I guess technically it is, but more of a straight drama for the majority of the film. It was OK, but it got a little erratic towards the end.

Last edited by Groundhog : 02-27-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:19 PM   #6432
bob
College Starter

Saw the Lego Batman movie this past weekend. Felt a little like Lego Dimensions The Movie: A Batman Story, but still enjoyable, although not as much as the Lego Move. YMMV if you are a huge super hero movie fan, which I am not.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:23 PM   #6433
tarcone
Coordinator

I was home sick today. SHere are my ratings:

Creed 9/10
Loved this implementation. They did a great job of bring the past and present together. Stallone was outstanding. As was the guy who played Adonis. That was one of the best Rocky movies made.

Daddy's Home 8/10
It is what it is. And it does a great job of it. Funny movie. I really enjoy it.

Saint Ralph 9/10
Been wanting to re-watch this movie for awhile. Found it on Amazon today. If you havent seen this one, see it. It is about a 14 year old kid in 1954. His Dad died in the war and his Mom is in a coma. He thinks winning the Boston Marathon will be the miracle he needs to bring her out. He is a typical scoundrel in a catholic school. Just a great movie.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:45 AM   #6434
Suicane75
Coordinator

Passengers: 3.5/10

Underwhelmed, is how I feel. Not sure the script could have been saved completely but the casting of Lawrence and Pratt did it no favors. I never felt the intended gravitas of what was happening because they just aren't the right fit for the roles. Lawrence is having a breakdown and I'm chuckling cause she just looks so damn silly trying to be an angry adult. They're both fine actors given the right parameters, but this was not it.

It's the kind of movie where you constantly wish something out of the norm would happen, rather than what you completely expect, but it never does. It goes exactly where you'd expect the entire time, and in the end, it just feels like a movie, dressed up really nice, but just a movie all the same.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:03 AM   #6435
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Passengers: 3.5/10

Underwhelmed, is how I feel. Not sure the script could have been saved completely but the casting of Lawrence and Pratt did it no favors. I never felt the intended gravitas of what was happening because they just aren't the right fit for the roles. Lawrence is having a breakdown and I'm chuckling cause she just looks so damn silly trying to be an angry adult. They're both fine actors given the right parameters, but this was not it.

It's the kind of movie where you constantly wish something out of the norm would happen, rather than what you completely expect, but it never does. It goes exactly where you'd expect the entire time, and in the end, it just feels like a movie, dressed up really nice, but just a movie all the same.

Yes to all that and....
Spoiler
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:15 AM   #6436
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Can we stop with the rape BS about Passengers? We have a guy losing his mind, literally, because he's stuck in space where he's certain to die alone, and he does something inexcusable to wake up another passenger. That's it. It's creepy, and I don't like that she gets over it after finding out (it's Stockholm Syndrome if anything), but don't diminish rape by adding it to the story when it clearly doesn't happen.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 03-02-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:09 AM   #6437
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Can we stop with the rape BS about Passengers? We have a guy losing his mind, literally, because he's stuck in space where he's certain to die alone, and he does something inexcusable to wake up another passenger. That's it. It's creepy, and I don't like that she gets over it after finding out (it's Stockholm Syndrome if anything), but don't diminish rape by adding it to the story when it clearly doesn't happen.

Rape by deception is very real and just as illegal. Not going to call it any other than rape.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:24 AM   #6438
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I did see it, but I don't remember anything being an out-and-out spoiler early on. I do realize that the voiceover was obviously coming from the "future" though. Thanks.

Spoiler
Old 03-02-2017, 12:16 PM   #6439
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Hacksaw Ridge - 8.5 out of 10.

Great movie. Made me want to read more about the real life person and he's fascinating. Interesting to note that Gibson left out some other parts of the story that were heroic because he felt that the audience would find them too hard to believe. Incredible story.
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 03-02-2017 at 12:17 PM.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #6440
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Rape by deception is very real and just as illegal. Not going to call it any other than rape.

I agree with CM. It's something illegal but rape is way too strong of a charge.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:59 PM   #6441
Suicane75
Coordinator

See, the movie would have been awesome, if when he went out to vent the reactor, she just opened the fucking door and he got sucked out into space and blew up. And she's all like "see ya later, asshole". Then a year or two goes by and she's lonely as shit and opens someone elses pod, but he's cool with it cause he's stuck with Jennifer Lawrence for the rest of his life. I dunno. Anything would have been better.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:24 PM   #6442
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
See, the movie would have been awesome, if when he went out to vent the reactor, she just opened the fucking door and he got sucked out into space and blew up. And she's all like "see ya later, asshole". Then a year or two goes by and she's lonely as shit and opens someone elses pod, but he's cool with it cause he's stuck with Jennifer Lawrence for the rest of his life. I dunno. Anything would have been better.

hahah yes.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:14 PM   #6443
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:

Yeah, the ending was bad. I think I audibly groaned when she didn't accept going into the sick bay pod. They had a chance at a really interesting and though provoking movie and settled for the Hollywood ending.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:05 AM   #6444
Johnny93g
College Starter

Rape? laughable.

I guess lying is illegal now?
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:30 PM   #6445
revrew
Team Chaplain

Logan - 7.5/10

And that rating would be my highest of any of the (what is it, NINE?) X-Men and Wolverine movies, except maybe Days of Future Past. Though I will remember this one longer for the more heart-felt and poignant performances. This is an excellent job by this director, and his care for the characters really shows. Fewer characters on screen also means some deeper character development, although the "villains" are woefully underdeveloped.

Comic book fans will definitely appreciate that with an R-rating, Wolverine is finally let off his leash. The fight scenes are top notch, bloody, furious, and brutal.

Alas, the R rating also brought abundant language and a brief instance of completely unnecessary nudity, both of which detracted from the story at times.

I also knock it down a bit because of the complete lack of comic relief. Wolverine's sardonic wit is almost completely gone. He's just SO tired that he hardly seems himself anymore, and he needs to be just a bit more likeable than he is.

This one is more a "guy" movie than the other X-men blockbusters, and I would HIGHLY recommend you rent the 1953 Western movie "Shane" before watching "Logan." The movie is laced with "Shane" references, and you'll be missing out if you don't know the old film.

Also, NO Marvel after scene. Because ...
Spoiler
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:38 PM   #6446
Groundhog
Coordinator

Haven't seen it yet, but I'm glad they finally managed to make a good Wolverine film with Jackman.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:37 AM   #6447
Groundhog
Coordinator

Arrival was an 8/10 for me too. Good idea, and I liked the execution overall... It was a more human story than Interstellar, and I'm glad it didn't go all "2001" like Interstellar did.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:00 AM   #6448
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
Also, NO Marvel after scene. Because ...
Spoiler

Isn;t there no post-credits scene because they did a pre-credits scene as a spoof to them with Deadpool?

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 02:31 AM   #6449
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

By coincidence I happened to watch My COusin VInny for the first time ever the other night (even when I was making Marisa TOmei Oscar jokes)

It is a servicable comedy typical of the 90s. It is fish out of water. It is southern culture vs the world. It is city vs country. Lots of tropes all at once. It is the grilfriend that wants to be part of her boyfriend's life. It is the man trying to finally prove himself. And it is a courtroom comedy. (that little known trope)

I was turned off immediately by it when i came out. We were Pescied to death in 89-91. After GOodfellas everyone was doing pesci jokes. Animaniacs even had a whole segment devoted to him. (Pesto the Pegion with Goodfeathers). And there's Marisa doing what Marisa does and what other actresses have done before...The Glenne Headleys and other character actresses especially new york.

However now that I can appreciate it without the "Do I amuse you How am I funny?" jokes, I can say that I liked it. It's not super special but it is really good for a comedy in those genres. We end up not hating anyone, liking some. Joe Pesci gives a good performance, a little subdued...probably because he was trying NOT to be Goodfells. Trying REALLY HARD. Marisa....DOES BRING THE GOODS. SHe is intelligent. She wants nothing more to help pesci win the case and she wants to be part of his life. YOu can see it in her eyes every time they fight about one thing they are fighting about another. So yes her peroframnce is actually great. Not Vanessa Redgrave/Joan Plowright great. But really somewhat deep. I really liked Ralh Macchiop in this. IT was an older Macchio from Karate Kid. A bit wisecracky too. And his manic friend was perfectly cast. I really like the scenes when he's crossexamining the witnesses. "Alright, I'm tru wit' THIS guy now!"

It's a satisfying movie. Doesn't totally cheat and gives you some laughs when you need. VEt Character actors pop up again like Bruce McgILl (D-Day from ANimal House) and Austin Pendleton (of which he appeared as the General's soninlaw Moodus in my favorite movie Catch 22). And of course....the scene stealer...Fred Gwynne as the judge. He gleefully chews on his southern alalbahma draw. The guy is HUGE and yet the tinyiest phrase from him is both supportive and frightening.

This is a comedy that works. So I think liike 7/10.

it's no masterpiece but it works.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 03-05-2017 at 02:32 AM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:43 AM   #6450
QuikSand
lolzcat

John Wick - 8/10
John Wick, Chapter 2 - 8/10

This seems like one of those overriding caveats -- if you don't like this kind of movie (hyper violent, gun heavy, brooding-as-plot) then stay home. That's fine. But if you do like that kind of movie, you should really like these. Be prepared for headshots, though. Like, a lot of them.

Interesting observation after seeing both movies -- trying to strip out the magnitude of the movies themselves, and just looking at the feats performed by the character -- where would John Wick rank on all-time movie badasses? (We'd probably need divisions based on weaponry, but assuming something like "open access to high end guns" as a category) I would have to think very highly.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote